The team at Altum Abogados, S.C. has considerable expertise in a variety of public law matters, such as assisting with contracts with public entities, permits and authorisations, administrative and judicial appeals, and consumer protection and pricing policies. Martha Cohén has more than 20 years of experience; she leads the practice, which also includes associate Ariana Cabrera. María Eugenia Reyes is the environment specialist at the firm
Public law in Venezuela
Altum Abogados, S.C.
‘Altum provides a first-rate comprehensive legal service.’
‘Altum has a high level of technical capacity and even more important is its philosophy of work and 100% delivery for clients.’
‘Altum’s lawyers are dedicated to the area of public law. They not only stand out for their excellent training, career and professional experience, but also for offering their clients timely, high-quality answers in accordance with their requirements and needs.‘
‘Martha Cohén is a lawyer with deep knowledge, a proven practical track record in the area of public law and notable professional expertise in advising multinational companies.‘
Araquereyna covers the full spectrum of public law. It is instructed by clients from the telecoms, aviation and healthcare industries to assist with consumer protection, price and exchange control, and antitrust matters, as well as with environmental law, new technologies, data protection and public contracting. The team, which includes Rodrigo Moncho Stefani, who was promoted to partner in January 2019, and Antonio Canova, also handles expropriation and nationalisation procedures. Pedro Sosa and Gabriel Ruan Santos are also noted.
Ayala, Dillon, Fernández, Linares Consultores Jurídicos
Specialist boutique Ayala, Dillon, Fernández, Linares Consultores Jurídicos is noted for its experience in administrative proceedings, privatisations and nationalisations. The key contact is Carlos Ayala Corao, who also assists clients with international law and human rights matters.
Badell & Grau Legal Consultants
Well-established public law boutique Badell & Grau Legal Consultants covers the full spectrum of related matters. Under the leadership of the experienced Rafael Badell Madrid, the team advises on administrative contracts, tenders and class actions, as well as administrative proceedings before the relevant authorities, expropriations and exchange control matters.
Baker & McKenzie, S.C.
The public law practice at Baker & McKenzie, S.C. has considerable experience in public procurement mandates, expropriation processes, price controls and compliance with product origin rules, among other areas. It also advises clients involved in infrastructure, telecoms, transportation, construction and energy projects on their contracts with the government. Eugenio Hernández-Bretón and María Eugenia Salazar, who focuses on the regulatory and environment space, jointly lead the practice. It is completed by senior associate Héctor Martínez and associate María Victoria Díaz.
IVC Networks Latin America
El Triunfo Mining Group
- Advising IVC Networks Latin America on the grant and maintenance of a qualification to produce media.
- Advised El Triunfo Mining Group on its relationship with the Venezuelan mining ministry for the purposes of developing a gold-mining project.
Clients from the media, automotive and pharmaceutical sectors regularly approach D'Empaire's team to assist them with nationalisations and expropriations, criminal proceedings regarding regulatory matters, general litigation cases and negotiating with the Venezuelan government. José Valentín González' broad practice covers criminal, constitutional, administrative and pharmaceutical law. He leads the team with disputes and antitrust specialist José Humberto Frías. Francisco Bolinaga is an expert in environmental law. Associate Ornella Bernabei is also an integral member of the group.
Radio Caracas Television
Radio Caracas Radio (RCR)
- Acting for Premeca in a claim against the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and PDVSA for damages for the confiscation of its shipyard in 2009 before the Administrative Chamber of the Venezuelan Supreme Tribunal of Justice.
- Assisted Radio Caracas Radio with requesting the annulment of the Venezuelan government’s decision not to grant the renewal of the radio concession as a retaliation for its critical position of the Venezuelan regime.
- Advised Bristol-Myers Squibb on new mechanisms to import drugs to Venezuela under the new regulatory framework.
Dentons is noted for advising clients on current topics such as pricing strategies, the negotiation and review of public contracts, exchange control, business ethics and anti-corruption regulation matters. The team works closely with the firm's competition, dispute resolution and energy practices as well as with its international network. Luis Ernesto Andueza leads the team; his broad background covers administrative, constitutional and competition law. Luis Fraga Pittaluga provides tax assistance.
‘Luis Ernesto Andueza is a specialist in the field.’
‘Luis Andueza is exceptional for his career, knowledge and professionalism. He is always available and responsive to requirements. He is my greatest external support and his advice is always relentless.’
- Advised Gold Reserve on the negotiation and execution of a memorandum of understanding and settlement agreement with the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela for the settlement, payment and resolution of an arbitral award granted by the ICSID in favour of the client.
Grau García Hernández & Mónaco
Grau García Hernández & Mónaco covers a wide range of public law mandates for national and international companies. The team's offering includes advising on regulatory matters, currency exchange controls and expropriation, as well as assisting clients with obtaining permits and providing representation in litigation. Gustavo Adolfo Grau Fortoul and Miguel Mónaco are the names to note.
InterJuris Abogados' team is experienced in constitutional and administrative law, public procurement procedures and regulatory matters. It provides advisory support but also handles contentious cases for companies from a wide range of industries, such as energy, technology and life sciences, among others. Luis Ortiz Álvarez heads the practice; he combines public law and dispute resolution expertise. Other noted practitioners are María Cecilia Rachadell and associate Fernando Sanquírico Pittevil.
Tiburones de la Guaira
- Acted for Transba in an ICSID arbitration over exchange control issues relating to an automotive business in Venezuela.
- Assisted Merck with the design and implementation of a new business model.
Leĝa Abogados' highly regarded public law practice is engaged in administrative proceedings and public procurement mandates. The team can showcase a strong track record in a variety of fields, including transportation, electricity, aviation, education and life sciences, among others. Besides its dispute resolution activity, it also advises on regulatory issues, consumer law and the application for judicial review of administrative matters related to intellectual property. London-based José Gregorio Torrealba heads the practice; his expertise in international arbitration is also noted. The group was enhanced by the arrival of Faustino Flamarique and Carlos García-Soto in April 2019 after the firm's merger with the now-defunct Imery Urdaneta.
Marriott Worldwide Corporation
- Filed an action for failure to act against the Venezuelan Trademark Office given the fact that none of the cancellation or nullity requests filed by clients have been decided by the administrative entity.
- Advised Facebook on the determination of the legal requirements related to licences and restrictions for merchandising, as well as a review of all the regulatory legislation.
- Advised Andrade Gutierrez on its construction contract with the state-owned company Siderúrgica Nacional for the construction, assembly and implementation of a steel manufacturing factory in the state of Bolívar.
Mendoza, Palacios, Acedo, Borjas, Paez Pumar & Cia.
Mendoza, Palacios, Acedo, Borjas, Paez Pumar & Cia. advises on a wide range of public law-related matters, such as price controls and consumer protection, exchange control, foreign investments and expropriations. Another core area for the team is advising contractors on dealing with public institutions. Carlos Eduardo Acedo is a regulatory specialist, while Esteban Palacios is experienced in contentious constitutional matters; together they lead the practice. María Genoveva Páez Pumar and sanctions expert Luisa Lepervanche are also noted.
The Coca-Cola Company and Coca-Cola Servicios de Venezuela
Munich Re and Munchener de Venezuela
Corporación Grupo Químico
- Advised different clients regarding instruments issued by the Constituent Assembly.
- Advised The Coca-Cola Company, MSD Farmacéutica, Munchener de Venezuela and Olivenca separately on matters relating to foreign exchange control regulation.
Tinoco, Travieso, Planchart & Núñez
Led by the experienced Margarita Escudero León, the team at Tinoco, Travieso, Planchart & Núñez handles regulatory compliance matters, administrative and judicial proceedings, and public bidding processes and expropriation claims. Another key practitioner is María Verónica Espina Molina.
Torres, Plaz & Araujo
The team at Torres, Plaz & Araujo advises on the full life cycle of public projects, from formation and development to obtaining permits and licences and handling proceedings before authorities. Practice head Juan Domingo Alfonzo is well versed in regulatory and administrative law.