Labour and employment in Uruguay
‘Pro-business and solution-oriented’, FERRERE’s labour and employment team finds favour for its ‘commitment and professionalism’. The comprehensive practice draws on the firm’s full-service offering to shine across the full spread of advisory, contentious and corporate support matters, with experience in advising domestic companies through to major multinational corporations on complex issues. It also routinely works alongside the firm’s immigration practice to handle employee residence matters. Leading light Verónica Raffo spearheads the group and is highly sought after for both contentious and non-contentious matters. Senior counsel Nelson Larrañaga is highly regarded for complex labour litigation, while senior associate Alberto Baroffio is a key contact for collective negotiations and collective bargaining disputes. Felipe Lasarte is another talented senior associate.
‘In our experience, Ferrere stands out for its strong team of professionals, commitment and responsibility.’
‘The lawyers who manage our relationship are benchmarks in labour law in Uruguay. Additionally, the lawyers who assist them demonstrate the same level of commitment, excellent treatment and level of response to the client.’
‘We value their level of response, commitment and professionalism.’
‘The firm possesses broad technical solidity and above all things they try to apply the best standards to the specific case presented, seeking the vision that best suits the client’s interests.’
‘Lawyers stand out for their availability (practically 24/7) to attend to emergencies or relevant queries. We also appreciate their response times and personal closeness to the client.’
‘The team manages to generate a relationship and trust that goes beyond the strictly professional/client relationship.’
‘A excellent pro-business, solution-oriented team, which quickly understands customer needs and provides appropriate solutions. We also value its international experience.’
‘We recommend Verónica Raffo, Giselle Cardoso and Alberto Baroffio.’
Israel Discount Bank of New York
- Advised H&M on labour and employment matters following the launch of its first stores in Uruguay.
- Acted for Terminal Cuencas del Plata on various labour issues, such as union negotiations and employee investigations.
- Represented Sabre Corporation on day-to-day labour matters, including on a personnel restructuring.
- Successfully represented Ingener in several wage-related labour claims.
Guyer & Regules impresses with its ‘knowledge of the market’ and ‘absolute willingness to assist’. The deep and broad practice is equally adept at employment and labour matters, with its recent expertise showcasing its strong reputation for collective bargaining and union issues. Other sweet spots include labour and employment litigation, transactional support matters and day-to-day consultancy services. Leonardo Slinger is a prominent name for complex labour cases and spearheads many of the department’s most high-profile files. Seasoned specialist Eduardo Ameglio remains active and, together with Slinger, advised on several sensitive cases over the past year. The team also draws on several talented associates including Santiago Madalena and María José Poey.
‘I highlight the professional staff who always stay on top of the relevant processes, which instils trust and distinguishes the firm nationally.’
‘The advisory service is very good in terms of availability, response times and quality.’
‘I highlight the team’s knowledge of the market, relationships with different stakeholders and technical skills.’
‘There is a quick response and an absolute willingness to assist every time we contact them for any reason, particularly Leonardo Slinger and María José Poey.’
‘Santiago Madalena is a go-to for our organisation. We also have contact with other professionals, such as Leonardo Slinger.’
Frigorífico San Jancinto
- Represented Ares Trading before the Ministry of Labour in negotiating the categorisation of its commercial activities in the Council of Wages.
- Advised Sodimac Homecenter on day-to-day labour matters and labour litigation.
- Represented Goyaike, part of the Pérez Companc Group, in a dismissal-related claim filed by a former manager.
- Advised credit card company, OCA, on negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement.
Arcia Storace Fuentes Medina Abogados
Arcia Storace Fuentes Medina Abogados’s flagship labour and employment practice routinely advises on all key human resources areas, with strong skill sets in collective bargaining, health and safety issues, due diligence and contentious matters. It also benefits from its ability to lean on the firm’s solid immigration department. Department head Dolores Storace is highly regarded for her broad expertise in labour and social security law. Associate Carolina Sarroca also specialises in labour matters.
Montes del Plata
Alcoholes del Uruguay (ALUR)
The British Schools
- Advised UPM on labour matters connected to the building of its second cellulose plant in Uruguay.
- Advised Montes del Plata on day-to-day labour and social security matters.
- Acted for Canal 12 on the restructuring of its news department.
Dentons Jiménez de Aréchaga
Dentons Jiménez de Aréchaga fields a full-service labour and employment practice, which regularly represents employers on a mix of labour relations, outsourcing, compliance matters, due diligence and litigation. Diego Viana heads the group and is recognised for his labour litigation and collective bargaining expertise. Up-and-coming partner Ignacio Demarco focuses exclusively on labour and employment law, with experience in contentious and non-contentious matters.
‘In general terms, we are very satisfied with the service provided by the firm. Everything is always resolved in the most favourable way.’
‘We are always kept informed on all the developments of our different cases, so we are able to decide, jointly, which is the best step to follow.’
‘To be able to communicate with someone at any time of the day is a significant asset.’
‘Diego Viana and Ignacio Demarco form a very good team: flexible and attentive, with a decisive spirit.’
‘Ignacio Demarco is always available to advise us on the different labour issues that are presented to us.’
Uruguayan Association of Wholesale Importers
Yacht Club Uruguayo
- Acted for Fox Channels on the Uruguayan labour and employment aspects of its global acquisition by the Walt Disney Company, which included the closure of a local office.
- Advised Banco Santander on negotiating the renewal of its collective bargaining agreement.
- Represented Candysur before the Wage Council in negotiations concerning aircraft handling services.
Hughes & Hughes
Hughes & Hughes leverages its prominent dispute resolution practice to excel in labour and employment litigation. It also handles collective bargaining, corporate support work and compliance issues. Enrique Radmilovich is a high-profile sector specialist and consistently advises domestic and multinational employers on contentious and non-contentious matters. Experienced senior associate María Durán and rising star Florencia Fitipaldo provide capable support.
Other key lawyers:
‘We value lawyers’ knowledge of our company’s background, as well as their conscientiousness and professionalism.’
‘The team has worked with our company for many years and our relationship is very fluid.’
‘They are solid professionally and have a track record and experience in the field. Their members provide speedy responses and continual availability (24/7).’
‘We value their professionalism, expertise and regulatory knowledge, particularly Enrique Radmilovich and María Durán, as well as associates Nicolás Rivadavia and Florencia Fitipaldo.’
Enjoy Conrad Punta del Este (Baluma)
Pinturas Inca (AkzoNobel Group)
S.C Johnson & Son
Ganadera Santa Laura
- Advised Khiron Life Sciences on the labour due diligence aspects of its acquisition of NettaGrowth International.
- Represented local tourism giant, Baluma, on union negotiations before the Ministry of Labour regarding controversies in the execution of its collective bargaining agreement.
- Advised Colgate-Palmolive on a major labour restructuring following the closure of its local plant.
The ‘client-oriented’ team at Posadas, Posadas & Vecino advises on a broad range of labour and employment matters, with a growing profile in tax-related issues and immigration. Experienced senior associate Gonzalo Gari handles non-contentious and contentious matters and co-heads the department alongside fellow senior Cecilia Demarco.
‘The quality that makes the firm stand out is its fast response times – the team evaluates quickly and is always ready to advise.’
‘The firm’s client-oriented approach is excellent.’
‘Lawyers have the required knowledge and skills. They complement each other well and give good service grounded in knowledge, empathy and kindness.’
‘We highlight the availability of the team’s professionals. Cecilia Demarco, Mariana Fernández Fasciolo and Gonzalo Gari are first class professionals, with absolute availability.’
‘Comprised of very well-trained professionals who offer excellent attention and advice, particularly Cecilia Demarco and associate Mariana Fernández Fasciolo.’
Julio César Lestido
Circotec La Vista
- Acted for Julio César Lestido on labour matters, including collective bargaining and litigation.
- Provided day-to-day advice to Aerolíneas Argentinas on collective bargaining negotiations, labour benefits and litigation.
- Advised Cargill on all its local labour and employment matters.
BERGSTEIN’s ‘super accessible’ team is best known for its record in contentious work. The firm represented a mix of local and multinational employers in a steady stream of employee termination cases over the past year. Litigator Leonardo Melos spearheads the labour disputes and collective bargaining practice. Mariana Pisón is a talented associate.
‘I have found Bergstein Abogados to be super accessible, eager and quick to respond.’
Brum Costa Abogados
Brum Costa Abogados’ labour and social security department is well versed in contentious and non-contentious matters, with a focus on compliance issues, collective bargaining and labour conflicts. Mainly active on behalf of local clients, the team’s recent experience spans the energy, health and auto industries. Practice head Gustavo Gauthier Guazzoni has ‘strong commercial knowledge’.
‘The team distinguishes itself through its emphasis on mediating and interpreting the best alternatives to the situations presented.’
‘We value Gustavo Gauthier’s strong commercial knowledge.’
Sociedad Anónima Molinos Arroceros Nacionales (SAMAN)
Alcoholes del Uruguay (ALUR)
Distribuidora Uruguaya de Combustible Sociedad Anónima (DUCSA)
Fotmer Life Sciences
- Represented a doctor from a private hospital in an employment case which included a landmark moral damages claim.