Labor-management relations in United States
Jones Day impresses with a broad coverage of the labor field, which includes experience in collective bargaining, disputes, labor strategies and labor integration issues in M&A transactions. The team is able to act in front of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) as well as the National Mediation Board (NMB). Minneapolis' Brian Easley is a highly regarded traditional labor lawyer with a broad practice. Curt Kirschner in San Francisco is well versed in disputes, in particular in the health care sector. Transportation-specialist Donald Munro, Douglas Hall, Thomas Chiavetta and Patricia Dunn, who knows the media and eduction industries well, are highlighted practitioners in Washington DC. James Urban in Pittsburgh, New York's Jessica Kastin and Chicago-based Michael Rossman are also noted. After several leading figures retired in the previous years, more junior yet experienced and dedicated talent like David Birnbaum and senior associate Samantha Woo in Chicago as well as Houston's Joanne Bush are filling their shoes.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team stands out for its knowledge, passion and interest; it is ahead of the curve and provides cutting edge legal advice that leads to winning business solutions.’
‘Brian Easley is one of the best labor attorneys in the market.‘
International Business Machines Corporation
CITGO Petroleum Corporation
The Kraft Heinz Company
Advocate Aurora Health
General Electric Co.
Reynolds American, Inc.
BNSF Railway Company
American Airlines Group
Flowers Foods, Inc.
Hunts Point Terminal Produce Cooperative Association
- Supported Wabtec in the negotiation of three collective bargaining agreements covering employees at its Erie facility, which Wabtec recently acquired from GE Transportation.
- Successfully negotiated multi-year collective bargaining agreements for Kraft Heinz which establish terms and conditions of employment for a significant number of employees.
- Acted for a coalition of more than 30 railroads at the National Railway Labor Conference in a new round of bargaining.
- Represented the Washington Post in renegotiating the labor contract with its largest union, the News Guild.
- Acted for ABM Onsite Services – West before the D.C. Circuit, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), and the National Mediation Board (NMB) in a matter involving which federal labor law applied to its employees at the Portland airport.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP impresses with a dedicated labor practice which is regularly involved in assisting clients with corporate campaigns, collective bargaining, union-organizing campaigns and business changes causing workforce change, among other matters. The group is experienced in acting before all related agencies and is headed up by Harry Johnson in Los Angeles and Philip Miscimarra in Washington DC, who both have extensive expertise in handling matters before the NRLB. Joseph Ragaglia in Philadelphia is noted for his comprehensive practice. Jonathan Fritts is well versed in collective bargaining, arbitration, and litigation cases. Like Daniel Bordoni, who knows the defense, manufacturing and trucking sectors well, they are both based in Washington DC. Steven Wall in Philadelphia, Douglas Hart, who joined from Sidley Austin LLP in February 2019, Nicole Buffalano in Los Angeles, and Ross Friedman in Chicago are also noted.
Harry Johnson; Philip Miscimarra
Other key lawyers:
‘A deep bench of talented traditional labor lawyers behind the experienced partner level.’
‘The labor law team is top-notch, reflected in the fact that several individuals associated with the firm have been (or currently are) on the NLRB or served in staff roles at the NLRB.‘
‘Jonathan Fritts has no peers in the traditional labor world when it comes to subject matter expertise, efficient work, and practical problem solving.’
‘Phil Miscimarra, Harry Johnson, Jonathan Fritts and many others at the firm are quite intelligent and experienced- including excellent government agency experience.‘
‘Nicole Buffalano is a rising star in this same field.’
Meridian Health System Inc.
Pacific Maritime Association
Marriott International, Inc.
Southwest Airlines Company
Dollar General Corporation
Lifetime Hoan Corporation
Shiseido Americas Corporation
AHOLD USA Inc.
- Acted for DaVita KidneyCare in multiple unfair-labor-practice-charge cases before the NLRB.
- Represented UFC at the NLRB regarding an independent contractor dispute.
- Represent Par Pacific Holdings in various matters arising from operations throughout the country involving its union workforce.
- Acted for Google by advising on all aspects of labor law issues for its employees, including on some employees seeking to spread negative publicity about Google, engage in walkouts, or even organize Googlers into a union.
- Represented UFC at the NLRB in connection with an independent contractor dispute.
The team at Proskauer Rose LLP has established itself as a go-to practice in labor issues and enjoys a particularly strong standing in the US professional sports leagues but also in the education and media segments. The group covers all related matters, such as unions and collective bargaining, as well as litigation and arbitration proceedings. Neil Abramson, who has special expertise in the public sector, and labor claims specialist Joseph Baumgarten jointly lead the practice. Bernard Plum is well versed in collective bargaining, arbitration and strategic planning. Paul Salvatore impresses with more than 35 years of experience in the field. In Boston, the key contacts are Mark Batten and Scott Faust, while in the Los Angeles office, Mark Theodore is highlighted. Michael Lebowich, Howard Robbins, Adam Lupion and senior counsel Steven Porzio are also names to note. All individuals are based in New York except when stated otherwise.
Neil Abramson; Joseph Baumgarten
Other key lawyers:
‘This team is made up of excellent lawyers, who are also practical.’
‘Neil Abramson, Joe Baumgarten, and Adam Lupion, among others, are always there when needed as they are very reliable and responsive. They think through and help clients strategize on complicated issues.’
The Boston Globe; MaineToday Media Acquisition, Inc.
National Football League
Higher Education Institutions
The Related Companies, L.P.
The Metropolitan Opera
League of Voluntary Hospitals and Homes of New York (LVHH); Montefiore Medical Center
Major League Soccer
The New York Times
T-Mobile USA, Inc.
- Acting for several newspapers in New England in collective bargaining, grievances, NLRB charges, and day-to-day advice.
- Representing the National Football League (NFL) in its negotiations with the National Football League Players Association and National Football League Referees Association over new collective bargaining agreements.
- Acting for numerous clients in the digital media industry with respect to both Writers’ Guild of America, East Inc. and NewsGuild labor relations issues.
- Counselling various universities such as Yale University, Duke University and Cornell University on labor law matters.
- Successfully represented Altice USA in an appeal before the National Labor Relations Board after a former employee alleged that he was terminated because of his support for unionization in violation of the National Labor Relations Act.
Seyfarth Shaw LLP's traditional labor practice is experienced in representing clients in unfair labor practice charges as well as proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board and in labor arbitrations. The team also handles collective bargaining, union organizing campaigns and strikes, and it has companies from various industries, such as health care, sports, construction, hospitality, transportation, manufacturing and media, on its client roster. In Chicago, Bradford Livingston is an expert in collective bargaining negotiations, while Brian Stolzenbach specialises in developing strategies. Together with the San Francisco-based Joshua Henderson they lead the practice. Arthur Telegen in Boston and Stuart Newman in Atlanta are highlighted for their longstanding activity in labor management relations. Other noted practitioners are New York's Marshall Babson and Howard Wexler, Kyllan Kershaw in Atlanta, Robert Fisher and associate Skelly Harper in Boston, as well as newly promoted partner Karla Sanchez in Chicago. Bryan O’Keefe strengthened the Washington DC office after joining from Kirkland & Ellis LLP in February 2019. Joseph Damato is also recommended in the same office.
Bradford Livingston; Brian Stolzenbach; Joshua Henderson
Other key lawyers:
‘The Labor and Employment team at Seyfarth is exceptional, with decades of deep experience with labor and employment matters on a national level, and with a high level of complexity.’
‘The team is excellent at strategic partnering in all matters of labor and employee relations as well as well-versed in law and case-law.’
‘Arthur Telegen is among the absolute best. Over many years, he navigates clients strategically and tactically to success.’
‘Robert Fisher is a top-tier labor and employment attorney nationally, and one of the best in Boston. His strategic thinking is exceptional, and he brings invaluable insight to complex and wide-ranging labor and employment issues.’
‘Joseph Damato is an outstanding practitioner, who is smart and experienced.‘
‘Skelly Harper does an excellent job.’
Jack in the Box
Packaging Corp of America
San Francisco Opera
Service Corporation International
The Topps Company, Inc.
- Argued in the DC Circuit on behalf of Browning-Ferris in its challenge of the NLRB’s reversal of 30 years of precedent concerning its joint employer doctrine.
Jackson Lewis P.C.
Jackson Lewis P.C. has established itself as go-to counsel for union-free as well as unionized clients in labor matters. Team members are experienced in acting as mediators and representatives in arbitration and litigation proceedings before relevant courts as well as in handling corporate campaigns, initiatives and collective bargaining. Atlanta-based Jonathan Spitz and Philip Rosen in New York are often approached to develop strategies and conduct management training, and they jointly lead the practice. Howard Bloom in Boston knows union representation and corporate campaigns well, while San Francisco's Laura Pierson-Scheinberg specialises in union elections and unfair labor practice charges. Names to note are also Omaha-based Chad Richter, Daniel Schudroff in New York, Atlanta's Jeffrey Schwartz, Richard Vitarelli in Hartford and Michael Lowenbaum in St. Louis. Alan Feldman joined the Phoenix-office in June 2019 from Steptoe & Johnson LLP.
Jonathan Spitz; Philip Rosen
Other key lawyers:
Third Judicial District Attorney’s Office (Las Cruces, NM)
Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
- Handled labor negotiations for the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority with the union representing its bus and rail operators.
- Advised ENGIE Services in all labor relations aspects of its new contract to provide energy services to The Ohio State University.
- Represented Anheuser-Busch LLC in a federal court motion to enforce its Dispute Resolution Policy and compel a discrimination claim to arbitration.
- Obtained a dismissal of prohibited practice complaints for the Third Judicial District Attorney’s Office.
Littler Mendelson, P.C.
With a nationwide presence, Littler Mendelson, P.C. has a comprehensive offering in supporting clients in labor management matters. It assists local, national and international clients with the full spectrum of corporate campaigns and represents them in collective bargaining and proceedings. Mark Schneider in Boston and Tanja Thompson in Memphis jointly head up the practice, which also includes Robert Long in New York and John Harper in Houston. Other prominent practitioners are Chicago's David Radelet, Dallas-based Arthur Carter and Adam-Paul Tuzzo in Milwaukee.
Mark Schneider; Tanja Thompson
- Represented Navistar in collective bargaining negotiations with unions across the country.
Lawyers at L&E boutique Ogletree Deakins cover a wide range of labor-related matters, including union campaigns, strikes, collective bargaining and strategies as well as labor arbitrations and NLRB proceedings. The team also regularly advises on the compliance of federal and state laws. Dedicated specialists include Pittsburgh's Scott Hardy, Jeff Londa in Houston and Dallas' Ron Chapman, Fito Agraz and Jonathan Wilson as well as Brian Hayes in Washington DC. Chris Harrison in Memphis and Greenville's Mark Stubley are also noted. Managing partner Matthew Keen is based in Raleigh.
Other key lawyers:
- Acted for an academic medical center in negotiating its collective bargaining agreements.
- Acted as Chief Negotiator for the City of San Antonio in connection with its collective bargaining with the San Antonio Police Officers Association (SAPOA).
Baker & Hostetler LLP has an established traditional labor practice, which is particularly active in union avoidance, collective bargaining, strikes, corporate campaign activities and labor policies. Led by hospitality-industry-specialist Jay Krupin in Washington DC and Orlando-based Patrick Muldowney, the group also regularly assists clients with labor-related disputes. Cleveland's Todd Dawson is well versed in unfair labor practices, while M.J. Asensio in Columbus is experienced in grievance arbitration and labor litigation. Other key practitioners from this office are Joseph Devine, Daniel Guttman, Ronald Linville and Jennifer Edwards. Further names to note include Paul Rosenberg in New York and the Washington DC-based Louis Cannon, David Grant and Peter Fischer.
Jay Krupin; Patrick Muldowney
Other key lawyers:
The E.W. Scripps Company
TRW Automotive Holdings Corporation
Norfolk Southern Corporation
Central Ohio Transit Authority
The City of Columbus, OH
Greater Dayton Regional Transit System
- Represented the City of Columbus in negotiations with Lodge 9 of the Fraternal Order of Police.
- Counseled on a employee and services transaction to form a regional council of governments.
The team at DLA Piper LLP (US) has a considerable track record in advising clients on labor management relations. It advises on a regular basis on union organizing activities, collective bargaining, the management of workforces and litigation proceedings before the NRLB. Companies on the group's client roster are often from sectors such as financial services, media and food. The Washington DC-based Harriet Lipkin has notable experience with unfair labor practices, while Joseph Turzi is able to assist with corporate campaigns. Joseph Piesco in New York is a key contact in contentious matters and Ryan Vann is the name to note in Chicago. Team leader Brian Kaplan is based in New York.
Jack Entertainment LLC
Station Casinos LLC
Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
Epstein Becker & Green, P.C. has a comprehensive offering when it comes to assisting clients with traditional labor matters and the management of workforces. The team has a focus on industries such as healthcare, hospitality, retail, hotels and media, and is well-positioned in particular in California. Names to be highlighted there are Adam Abrahms, who leads the practice, and Kat Paterno in Los Angeles. Steve Swirsky in New York has considerable experience representing clients before relevant courts. Frank Morris in Washington DC, and Detroit's Adam Forman and Jeremy Brown are also noted. The practice was boosted with the arrival of Michael Ferrell in Chicago in March 2019, who joined from Jones Day.
Other key lawyers:
‘EBG is noted for its flexibility it can offer its clients.‘
‘Jeremy Brown treats his clients as if in a partnership rather than just a client, which is outstanding.’
‘Adam Forman is cognizant of time constraints and very good at follow ups.’
- Advised the National Democratic Institute on a variety of labor and employment matters.
The team at Greenberg Traurig, LLP works closely with union-free and unionized clients on labor-related steps along the way, be it day-to-day counsel or proceedings before the NRLB. Co-chair of the firm's labor relations management group, Boston-based Terence McCourt, is also well versed in labor arbitrations. He jointly heads up the practice with Jerrold Goldberg in New York, who is well versed in the real estate and hospitality industries, and the key contact in the San Francisco office, Charles Birenbaum.
Terence McCourt; Jerrold Goldberg; Charles Birenbaum
Other key lawyers:
Jonathan Sulds; Justin Keith; Jamie Rich
CHRISTUS St. Vincent Regional Medical Center
- Assisted Maximus and Parkmerced with negotiations for a project labor agreement with the Building Trades.
- Acted for Caesars Entertainment Corporation in different labor arbitrations.
- Represented Vornado and its subsidiaries in all upcoming labor and employment litigation cases, labor negotiation and contract administration matters.
- Assisted The Nomad Hotel with the negotiation of a three-year labor agreement.
O'Melveny & Myers LLP has developed a reputable practice in acting for the aviation industry. The team covers the full gamut of labor relations management matters, such as union management, strategies and litigation mandates. Robert Siegel is the go-to labor counsel for clients such as American Airlines and United Airlines and is noted for his broad practice. He and department head Apalla Chopra are both based in Los Angeles. Other noted practitioners are Aparna Joshi in Washington DC, who is well versed in collective bargaining negotiations, and New York's Mark Robertson.
American Airlines, Inc.
Atlas Air, Inc.
United Airlines, Inc.
Airlines For America
- Successfully represented Atlas Air and Polar Air Cargo before the US Court of Appeals regarding a preliminary injunction prohibiting the International Brotherhood of Teamsters and its member pilots from engaging in any slowdown activities.
- Acted for American Airline in a dispute regarding a collusion claim.
- Represented United Airlines in a putative class action brought by United pilots against the pilots’ union and United, alleging that United violated the pilots collective bargaining agreement.
- Secured a permanent injunction against unions representing American mechanics for American Airlines.
Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith LLP's team is experienced in assisting clients with trade union and management relations as well as in labor disputes. The client portfolio sees employers in particular from the healthcare and hospitality industry. Thomas Posey, who splits his time between Chicago and Los Angeles, also knows collective bargaining well. San Francisco's Michele Haydel Gehrke has experience in cases involving the National Railway Act. Lori Armstrong Halber in Philadelphia is well versed in risk management. The department head Mark Temple is based in Houston. Karl Fritton left for Littler Mendelson, P.C. in July 2019.
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP stands out with its special focus on the public sector, for which the New York-based team has developed a considerable reputation. Within that segment, it handles collective bargainings, negotiations, labor arbitration and litigation proceedings. Practice head Alan Klinger has a good track record in the handling of unions, in particular in the healthcare and education sector. Special counsel Dina Kolker is also well versed in collective bargaining matters. Charles Moerdler, special counsel David Kahne and associate Arthur Herskowitz are also noted.
‘This firm has the knowledge, ability and capacity to handle complex labor and employment litigation. It is also very strong in terms of collective bargaining negotiations.’
‘Stroock is thorough, finish what it starts, seeks solutions that are unique and most importantly, the members tell you what the facts are, not simply what you would like to hear.‘
‘Alan Klinger is one of the most knowledgeable labor and employment litigators and his professionalism is second to none.‘
‘Dina Kolker takes complex problems and finds solutions that meet the client’s needs.’
- Serving as lead outside counsel for the Council of School Supervisors & Administrators in bargaining for a successor agreement in the current round of negotiation.
- Acted as as lead outside counsel for the Uniformed Sanitationmen’s Association, Local 831 in collective bargaining with the City of New York in a round of bargaining.
- Counselled the Municipal Labor Committee and its constituent unions in negotiations for multi-year healthcare savings agreement and the implementation of those agreements after ratification.
- Representing the New York State United Teachers in a case where plaintiffs seek repayment of agency fees paid pre-Janus as well as making a variety of constitutional challenges to provisions of New York labor law.
- Acted for Nassau County Police Unions in a federal action opposing Nassau County and the Nassau County Interim Finance Authority’s imposition of a wage freeze on County police officers.
The team at Vedder Price is regularly engaged to handle union organizing campaigns, unfair labor practice charges as well as other NLRB proceedings. It is noted for its expertise in representing managements in collective bargaining negotiations. The firm has a particularly strong offering in Chicago, where the line-up includes the experienced Kenneth Sparks, Eugene Boyle, Mark Stolzenburg and Patrick Spangler. Candice Zee is a key practitioner in Los Angeles. The team is led by Amy Bess in Washington DC.
Astellas Pharma US
BMO Financial Group
Euromarket Design d/b/a Crate & Barrel
Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Company
Zentis North America
California Pizza Kitchen
- Advised AAR Corporation on workforce change and day-to-day labor and employment compliance.
- Acted for Vulcan Materials Company in different traditional labor matters.
Winston & Strawn LLP is noted for its involvement in labor disputes, be it in arbitration proceedings or before the NRLB. Beyond those, the team also handles collective bargaining and day-to-day labor matters for clients from the manufacturing, energy, construction and health care sectors. Practice co-head William Miossi has longstanding experience in the contentious space and splits his time between Washington DC and Chicago, where practice co-head Michael Roche is based. Joseph Torres left for Jenner & Block LLP in May 2019.
William Miossi; Michael Roche
LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH)
Constellium Muscle Shoals LLC
- Successfully represented Arlington Metals Corp after the National Labor Relations Board reversed a prior decision that found AMC guilty of unfair labor practices.
- Acted for Liberty Maritime Corporation in an action filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia by the Marine Engineers’ Beneficial Association District seeking to compel arbitration pursuant to the terms of a collective bargaining agreement.