Government relations in United States
Highly regarded by clients and peers alike, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is one of the clear go-to firms for public policy matters. The lobbying group is overseen by Hunter Bates and Brian Pomper. Allison Binney is a key contact for Native American law, and Susan Lent specializes in transport and infrastructure matters. Also recommended are James Romney Tucker and Arshi Siddiqui. Practice founder Joel Jankowsky retired from the partnership in 2019, but remains active in the group.
Hunter Bates; Brian Pomper
Other key lawyers:
‘It’s clear the Akin Gump is the industry leaders, they understand the needs of the government.’
Squire Patton Boggs is a market leader in the government relations space, and its growing international public policy team continuing to attract the top-end work for clients including international sovereigns. The practice group is active in all core industry sectors, including defense and national security, energy and environment, healthcare, transportation and infrastructure, and technology. The team also has particularly strong links with the firm's Brussels office, bringing together lawyers and lobbyists to work together on cross-border matters. The US group is led by four partners: Edward Newberry, John Breaux, Trent Lott and Robert Kapla, the key contact for foreign governments on issues relating to international trade and investment. Margaret Daum recently joined the firm; she served as Democratic staff director at the US Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs. Senior policy advisor David Schnittger is recommended, especially for matters in the energy and transportation sectors. Associate Rory Murphy is a rising star in the practice group.
Edward Newberry; Robert Kapla; John Breaux; Trent Lott
National Cannabis Roundtable
Advanced Emissions Solutions
The Coca-Cola Company
Wake Forest University Health Sciences
Pebble Mine Corporation
Denver Regional Transportation District
- Representing National Cannabis Roundtable in advocating reform of federal law and policy governing cannabis.
- Representing NLMK Pennsylvania in Buy American and Buy America issues, Section 232 tariffs on steel products and other competition issues.
- Acting for The Coca-Cola Company in legislative monitoring and advocacy.
- Providing periodic monitoring and reporting of US sanctions and other subjects for Altpoint Capital.
- Acting for the Pebble Mine Corporation in reversal of US regulation against developing the Pebble Mine in Alaska.
Hogan Lovells US LLP's public policy practice is considered by some clients to be 'the best in Washington'. One key feature of the practice is its work for sovereign governments, leveraging the firm's expansive international network to handle cross-border lobbying and policy work. The group has key strengths in the automotive, aviation, and aerospace and defense sectors, and also has strength in international trade matters. The team is jointly led by point man and former US Senator Norm Coleman and the highly rated Robert Kyle. Other key contacts include Democratic lobbyist Ivan Zapien, policy expert Michael Bell and Aaron Cutler, who is the name for energy and natural resources lobbying. Senior associate Ari Fridman is an impressive up-and-comer in the team.
Norm Coleman; Robert Kyle
‘Superior strategic counsel and understanding of Washington at the highest levels. Great firm!‘
‘Sen Norm Coleman one of the best and most effective Washington government relations practitioners. Strategist and tactical execution best in Washington.’
- Acting on behalf of Lloyds, the world’s leading insurance market, to persuade lawmakers that the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is still a sustainable government-backed program, through a change in US law that would permit the expansion of the private flood insurance market.
- Advising Nissan on a wide variety of issues where regulatory and legislative actions may impact its business.
- Working directly for Walmart’s Federal government relations office in Washington DC, focusing on establishing and nourishing relationships with Democrats on Capitol Hill.
Holland & Knight LLP
Holland & Knight LLP's public policy team is jointly led by Robert Highsmith in Atlanta and Rich Gold in Washington DC. The full-service practice group has a deep bench of experts with expertise in defense and foreign policy, education, energy, financial services, and homeland security. It also has a niche in coalition building and is consistently at the forefront of creating coalitions across leading industry sectors. Key names in the group include seasoned Republican lobbyist Kathryn Lehman, who acts for a host of high-profile clients including sovereign states, and life sciences head Michael Werner, who is also recommended for lobbying and regulatory activity in the healthcare industry. Other key figures include Christopher DeLacy who heads the political law group, aviation expert Anita Mosner, telecoms specialist Charles Naftalin and Mark Delegal, the contact in Tallahassee for government affairs work. The team has expanded its ranks in DC with the addition of former Congressman Tom Davis, who focuses on congressional investigations and legislative strategies.
Rich Gold; Robert Highsmith
Other key lawyers:
Intercontinental Hotels Group
American Chemistry Council
Alliance for Regenerative Medicine
Mortgage Bankers Association
Coalition for the Northeast Corridor
American Forest and Paper Association
City of Atlanta
City of San Francisco
City of Philadelphia
Public Access to Sunscreens (PASS) Coalition
MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority)
- Achieved a victory for InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) by ending a Department of Defense policy that cut hotel per diem rates by 25 to 45% based on length of stay.
- Defended the first-ever US Department of Transportation (DOT) claim against an air ambulance provider.
- Lobbied Congress for the inclusion of mitochondria research in the list of diseases eligible for DoD grants and subsequently received $27m in funding.
- Assisting JBG with its federal procurement of DOT (Department of Transportation) headquarters facility.
- Currently assisting Thomson Reuters on creating a federal consumer data privacy standard (similar to the CCPA) and proposal to make PACER (government court database) free to the public.
K&L Gates' public policy practice is highly noted for its 'tremendously responsive' approach and 'strategic planning', attributes that have contributed to its strong, long-standing reputation in the market. Headed by Michael Scanlon, the team is active in the areas of financial services, shipping and maritime law, and transportation and infrastructure. David Wochner is a name to note for energy sector work, and Karishma Shah Page ('one of the best') focuses on tax, financial services, healthcare, and employee benefits issues. Other core members include Bruce Heiman, who specializes in cybersecurity and privacy issues, Emanuel Rouvelas, rated for his years of expertise and advisory work for sovereign governments. Andrew Wright is the name for congressional investigations and enforcement actions; he previously served as associate counsel to President Barack Obama.
Other key lawyers:
‘I’ve heard it said that you only get from a consultant as much as you push them. My experience with K&L Gates has been in stark contrast to that sentiment. There have been times where I felt that if I fell off the face of the earth, they could continue pushing our issues forward with the Federal Government as if they were their own. They are also tremendously responsive. I value their strategic analysis of issues and the strategic planning they put into their efforts to solve a given problem for our organization. Also, they are warm and generally very humble.‘
‘Karishma Page is one of the best government affairs practitioners I’ve worked with. She is classy, warm, brilliant, gracious, calm, selfless, dynamic, understanding, and both glamorous and understated at the same time. She is different from other lobbyists in her sincerity and realness, and willingness to go the extra mile for us and also to offer very sound policy/strategy guidance.’
Trans Atlantic Business Council
Quantum Industry Coalition
California Public Employee Retirement System (CalPERS)
The Package Coalition
Consumer Technology Association
Avis Budget Group
American Maritime Partnership
Global Ports Group
Liquefied Natural Gas
- Representing Transportation Institute (TI), the leading Washington-based, non-profit organization dedicated to maritime research education and promotion.
- Representing the Airport Minority Advisory Council (AMAC) in the major airport and aviation legislation by the US Congress.
- Providing strategic advice and counsel to the Quantum Industry Coalition (Coalition), assisting with providing input to the National Quantum Initiative Act, and in helping enact it.
- Representing Avis Budget Group in addressing legislative and regulatory issues before the US Congress, state and local governments, and foreign governments.
- Acting as investment policy counsel for the California Public Employee Retirement System (CalPERS) and their investment committee and board of directors in relation to corporate governance and financial regulatory reform issues in the US, as well as in the EU and UK.
The public policy team at Mayer Brown is spread across three of the firm's offices and is recognized for its expertise in matters at the state and federal levels. In addition to its work in core industries such as telecoms, technology and transportation, the team is also strong in matters relating to global financial services. Duane Layton in DC heads up the international trade practice and also co-chairs the public policy team. Howard Waltzman is also recommended for technology and telecoms matters. Contacts on the West Coast include 'strong regulatory lawyer' Philip Recht, who leads the Los Angeles office and has experience representing key clients before federal, state and local governments. Chicago-based Joseph Seliga and Mitch Holzrichter are go-to names for advisory work relating to government transactions and infrastructure mandates. Angela Giancarlo is the lead partner for the team's General Motors work, which has recently included advice on spectrum issues in the context of autonomous vehicles.
Duane Layton; Philip Recht; Joseph Seliga
‘Philip Recht is a strong regulatory lawyer.’
EOG Resources and Williams Partners
Port of Los Angeles
Walton Street Capital
Grosvenor Capital Management
- Advising General Motors on spectrum-related policies, including the use of the 5.9 GHz band for collision avoidance systems in autonomous vehicles.
- Representing the Privacy Coalition, consisting of the United States’ major people search service companies in seeking amendments to clarify the application of California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) to member companies and otherwise ensure CCPA is workable for the industry.
- Acting for Better Together Chicago, the transition committee established to support Chicago’s new mayor, Lori Lightfoot.
- Advising Bird on regulatory matters in the City of Los Angeles as well as on various state and local regulatory issues in other jurisdictions.
- Representing the Illinois Republican Party in high-profile litigation (Winchester v. Illinois Republican Party) concerning the election of state central committeemen and the party’s chairman.
Arnold & Porter's highly regarded public policy practice comprises legislative professionals, policy experts and regulatory lawyers, who are skilled across a range of major policy areas including international trade, life sciences and healthcare, technology, energy, financial services and education. The team is led by Kevin O’Neill in Washington DC, but has a deep bench of specialists on both coasts, with policy advisory expert Anthony Samson being the name to note in California. Other key figures include senior health policy advisor Eugenia Pierson and strategist Dana Weekes, who is experienced in the education sector and in government contracting work. The group has been bolstered by the arrival of former Croatian Ambassador to the US Miomir Žužul, who has decades of international policy experience, having previously practiced at Squire Patton Boggs. The team also hired former General Counsel of the FDIC Charles Yi, an addition that significantly strengthens the team's bench for financial services policy work.
Other key lawyers:
Lloyd’s of London
Coalition to Insure Against Terrorism
American Association of Orthodontists
Children’s Health System of Texas
Bracewell LLP's government relations practice is active in matters relating to national security and environmental law, in addition to its core strengths in energy, oil and gas, renewables and environmental law, all in line with the wider firm's focus areas. Jointly led by Scott Segal and Dee Martin, the team is experienced in acting for clients in crisis situations, congressional investigations, and legislative and regulatory advocacy. Edward Krenik is the name to note for matters relating to industry coalitions and trade associations, and Joshua Zive is a name to note for international trade and economic sanctions. Contacts for energy sector work include Anna Burhop, Christine Wyman, and Gene Godley, who also has experience advising clients on international financings and transactional matters. Jeffrey Holmstead oversees the environmental strategies group and is recommended for energy and environmental matters.
Scott Segal; Dee Martin
Other key lawyers:
Valero Energy Corporation
Electric Reliability Coordinating Council (ERCC)
Interstate Natural Gas Association of America (INGAA)
FBI Agents Association
McKinsey & Company
National Brain Tumor Society
Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association (ROHVA)
National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA)
Coalition of American Metal Manufacturers and Users (CAMMU)
Denka Performance Elastomer Window Covering Manufacturers Association (WCMA)
The Trevor Project
Chicken of the Sea International
Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI)
- Acting for Valero in legislative and regulatory advocacy, as well as communications counsel and strategic coalition-building from non-attorney advocates, with particular attention paid to the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS).
- Working closely with the Trump Administration on major regulatory efforts, including the Affordable Clean Energy rule, ensuring that the government took a legally-sound and feasible approach to regulating power plant efficiency.
- Represent the FBI Agents Association (FBIAA) before the White House, Congress, and the FBI in relation to issues that include crime and terrorism prevention, federal appropriations, foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) reauthorization, and electronic privacy.
- Worked with ROHVA to convince Congress to include a policy rider in appropriations legislation that requires CPSC to focus its resources on working with the industry to develop the safety standard.
- Retained by NADA to work on energy and environmental issues, including the Administration’s most recent focus on revising Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards.
Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
The 'strong' government relations practice at Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP is rated by clients and peers, having built a reputation for acting for industry-leading clients in the areas of gaming, private equity, professional services, and trade. The team is headed by Marc Lampkin, and also includes David Cohen, an industry leader in biometrics and aviation security, and Democratic lobbyist Alfred Mottur. Russell Sullivan and Harold Hancock, both Capitol Hill veterans, have a wealth of experience at the federal level and are recommended for experience of tax matters. Denver-based founding partner Norman Brownstein is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Will Moschella is part of our team at the UFC. He has taken the time to understand our business, our goals and our corporate culture.’
‘We consider the Brownstein firm a partner and not our outside Government Relations firm.’
Dentons' public policy team is active in all the core areas of government relations and public policy work, but the firm is distinguished in particular by a couple of unique features. First, leveraging the firm's geographic reach, the firm operates a 50-state approach, which aims to provide clients with an advocacy network in every state capitol. Contacts for nationwide state advocacy issues include global practice chair Eric Tanenblatt, who divides his time between DC and Atlanta, and counsel David Quam. Another distinguishing feature of the firm is its dedicated state attorneys general practice, which is overseen by Thurbert Baker and Bill McCollum in Washington DC. Other key contacts include Gordon Giffin, an expert in international trade and government procurement, and David Tafuri, who also splits his time between DC and Atlanta, and has extensive experience acting for sovereign states in the Middle East and North Africa, recently including the Kurdistan Regional Government of Iraq. On the more junior end, senior associate Jasmine Zaki is noted for her commercial advisory work for Middle Eastern-based companies.
Other key lawyers:
Hawaii Gas (a subsidiary of Macquarie Infrastructure Corporation)
Kurdistan Regional Government
Government of Haiti
Colorado Municipal Judges Association
Brannan Sand and Gravel
- Serves as the lead Washington counsel to the Kurdistan Regional Government of Iraq (KRG) in a range of legal and policy matters.
- Serves as Oracle’s locally-based representative for State and local government business development opportunities in Hawaii.
- Represented the City of Atlanta against complaints filed with the Attorney General’s Office by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and WSB-TV, alleging violations of the Georgia Open Records Act.
- Working with Jackson Healthcare on immigration issues related to nurses works, in addition to various other state and federal government affairs.
King & Spalding LLP has considerable experience in the infrastructure and healthcare industries, and is among the market's go-to firms for energy-related matters. The public policy team is active in high-profile congressional investigations, and includes several legislative experts such as Daniel Donovan and Steven Kupka, who is noted for his expertise in Latin America-facing matters. Former US Attorney General Sally Yates is a key member of the firm's government investigations practice, and policy expert Amirah Salaam is recommended for matters relating to homeland security and foreign affairs. Practice head Thomas Spulak has extensive lobbying experience and is active in the areas of international trade, healthcare and life sciences, aerospace, and infrastructure. Former Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coates re-joined the firm last year.
Amazon Web Services
Embraer and its US subsidiary, Embraer Aircraft Holding
Adventist Healthcare and American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ACMG)
Medicare Rights Center
Senior Care Pharmacy Coalition
Republican National Committee
Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust
- Represented Equifax in connection with multiple inquiries and hearings conducted by US House and Senate oversight committees related to the cybersecurity incident announced on September 7, 2017.
- Represent Adventist HealthCare, American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ACMG), Audentes Therapeutics, Amarin, and GBT in a broad range of healthcare-related government relations issues – from gene therapy for ultra-rare diseases to sickle cell disease treatment to cardiovascular disease therapy.
- Acting as ethics advisor to Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust.
- Represent the MARC Coalition of large insurers and self-insured companies in relation to “Medicare Secondary Payer” (MSP) and “Third Party Liability” (TPL) laws.
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Housing 'some of the best advocates in DC', Steptoe & Johnson LLP is known for its public policy work in the energy, telecoms, financial services and pharmaceutical sectors. Scott Sinder leads the group and is experienced in representing clients before federal and appellate courts, having amassed over three decades of experience in the government relations space. Darryl Nirenberg and associate Eva Rigamonti have also been recognized by clients; they have experience of regulatory matters relating to homeland security and cybersecurity. Also recommended is seasoned lobbyist James Barnette and Douglas Kantor, who focuses on tax issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fantastic team. Very hands on in developing strategy and recommending a great course of action for an advocacy program in DC. They understand the political dynamics and because of that, have had great success with our program.’
‘Darryl Nirenberg, Eva Rigamonti and Patrick Northrup are an incredible team. Their broad experience in working with both parties, hands on approach, and strong communication skills make them hands down some of the best advocates in DC.’
Council of Insurance Agents and Brokers
Las Vegas Sands
National Association of Convenience Stores
Economic Innovation Group
Coalition to Stop Internet Gambling
American Wind Energy Association
Acuity Brands Lighting
- Acting for PetIQ in a legislative and public policy effort to bring competition to the market for prescription pet medications.
- Representing the Las Vegas Sands Corporation – the world’s largest gaming company by market cap – for nearly 20 years.
- Leading a coalition of more than 40 trade associations and companies from a range of industries to address a drafting error in H.R. 1 (Tax Cuts and Jobs Act).
- Serving as general counsel and legislative counsel to NACS, and its roughly 2,200 members, advising on a wide range of public policy issues.
The public policy group at Van Ness Feldman LLP has a forty-year reputation in the government relations space, acting for leading energy and industrial companies, financial institutions, trade associations, and state and local governments. Nancy Macan McNally and Shannon Angielski jointly lead the practice group. Former chair Richard Agnew remains a key contact and is recommended for his expertise in Native American law. Other key members of the group include Robert Szabo, an experienced advisor in the areas of energy and natural resources, and environmental issues, and Alan Mintz, who focuses on representing clients before the Department of Interior and the Department of Energy.
Nancy Macan McNally; Shannon Angielski
Amazon Web Services
Columbia River Treaty Power Group
Holland American Cruise Line
International Bottled Water Association
Large Public Power Council
Los Angeles Department of Water & Power
Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority (CPRA)
- Acting for ASRC in a wide range of federal legal and policy matters, including matters specifically focused on protecting the indigenous rights of the Iñupiat people from the North Slope region.
- Represents Minnkota Power Cooperative in federal policy matters related to Project Tundra, a proposed commercial-scale carbon dioxide (CO2) capture retrofit to a large coal plant owned and operated by Minnkota.
- Provides primary strategic counsel and public policy representation services for the Large Public Power Counsel with both the Executive Branch of the federal government and the US Congress.
- Assisting Amazon Web Services with efforts to encourage cloud computing adoption across the federal government.
- Advising Shell on US federal laws, policy, and politics relating to federal taxation, international trade, carbon capture and sequestration, and deep water/off-shore drilling.
The 'strong' government affairs team at WilmerHale utilizes a multi-disciplinary approach, advising clients on a range of matters including international trade, and boasting particular expertise in the telecoms and pharmaceutical sectors. Practice head Jonathan Yarowsky is well regarded by peers and clients, and litigator Jamie Gorelick co-chairs the strategic response practice. Senior policy advisor Rob Lehman, who has over two decades of expertise on Capitol Hill, is recommended for his deep insight on federal agencies. Another key figure is David Ross, the go-to name for trade and dispute resolution matters, and former counsel at the Office of the US Trade Representative.
Jamie Gorelick; Jonathan Yarowsky; Rob Lehman
Other key lawyers:
The Beer Institute
- Representing T-Mobile before Congress and State Attorneys General addressing antitrust concerns and related consumer issues that may arise from the company’s proposed merger with Sprint.
- Acted as a lead outside strategist and lobbyist for Charter Communications in relation to its $60bn acquisition of Time Warner Cable.
- Represented Monsanto in its $62bn merger with Bayer which would create a transatlantic leader in the life sciences and agriculture industries.
Miller & Chevalier Chartered
Miller & Chevalier Chartered has a niche offering in federal tax policy and is experienced in representing clients before Congress and various government agencies. Marc Gerson oversees the practice group, which, in addition to tax work, also advises on employee benefits, health policy and compliance, international trade, and energy-related matters. Leonard Bickwit has thirty-five years' experience in energy, financial services, healthcare-related matters, as well as in international trade. Jorge Castro is a key advisor for tax policy work, while employment practice head Elizabeth Drake handles employee benefits work, including tax requirements applicable to retirement plans and other benefits programs. Loren Ponds is a contact for international tax matters.
Honda Motor Company
American Council of Engineering Companies
American Fidelity Assurance Company
- Represented a major trade association before the Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service to secure qualification for the new 20% deduction for pass-through income.
- Representing several companies and trade associations before Treasury and the IRS to secure favorable administrative guidance under provisions in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (2017).
Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP has a presence in several regional centers across the East Coast, and distinguishes itself in part by its bipartisan connections, regularly acting in sensitive and first-of-their-kind policy, political risk, and trade matters. The team is jointly led by Arthur Coleman in Washington DC and South Carolina-based David Wilkins, who specializes in US-Canada issues. Other names to note include Dennis Wicker in North Carolina, who has expertise in issues relating to economic development; Vinoda Basnayake, who has experience advocating for sovereign governments; Robert Crowe, a contact for matters in the real estate and securities space; and Woojin Shin, a strong advocate for South Korean corporations in the automotive and defense sectors.
David Wilkins; Arthur Coleman
State of Qatar
International Aid Corporation
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
BCD Travel USA
- Conducted meetings on behalf of Fluor with members of the South Carolina Congressional delegation regarding the funding of federal projects impacting the Fluor Corporation.
- Assisted AltaGas with the $6.4bn acquisition of WGL Holdings, which operates a diversified portfolio of energy services, including the regulated gas utility in Washington DC.
- Assisted JBGSmith with its successful efforts to seek $82m in tax increment financing (TIF) to support a historic redevelopment project in Washington DC.
- Registered as a foreign agent and lobbied in the United States on behalf of the State of Qatar. The firm also acts for the State in domestic trade missions and advises it on the ongoing blockade of Qatar by certain Middle East nations on providing charitable and other investments in the US.
- Representing Weedmaps, an international cannabis app firm that allows users to review and discuss cannabis strains, and to find local dispensaries supplying medical and adult use of marijuana.
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP's public policy group has experience of local, state, and federal matters, acting for a diverse client base including international investors and sovereign governments. Elizabeth Moeller heads the practice group and is supported by lobbyist Craig Saperstein, who also has experience acting for non-profit clients. The group works in the financial services and energy sectors, and is also strong in global security policy and cybersecurity, where Brian Finch is a key figure. Aaron Hutman specializes in international trade matters, and Matthew Oresman is another name to note. Dividing his time between DC and London, Oresman leads the firms international public policy group and is recommended for cross-border matters in this space.
Elizabeth Vella Moeller
‘The team is well networked with the Government assisting tremendously in facilitating the effectiveness and efficiency of delivering the project in place.’
‘Aaron Hutman- the quality of his effective networking at a government level led to very successful results up to now.’
Cayman Islands Department of Financial Services and Home Affairs
Domestic Violence Legal Empowerment and Appeals Project
City of Greensboro, NC
Binder & Binder
Professional Certification Coalition
- Representing the Cayman Islands Financial Services Ministry to help develop and strengthen Cayman’s relationships with key US leaders on tax and financial services policy.
- Serves as US federal public policy counsel to EDF Renewable Energy North America.
- Worked with DV LEAP and its founder, Joan S. Meier, Professor of Clinical Law at George Washington University Law Department, on providing legal representation, advocacy, and counselling to victims of domestic violence, with a particular focus on women and children.
- Advising FireEye on general cybersecurity and government affairs matters, and defending against cyber threats.
- Advising Gigamon on general cybersecurity and government affairs.