AMBER Law Company
Firms in the Spotlight Tax
Tax in Ukraine
AMBER Law Company
‘One of the best companies in Ukraine in tax practice.’
‘They are leaders of the Ukrainian law market.’
‘AMBER law company is one of the best professional teams in Ukraine.’
Kagarlyk Resource Agro-based Industrial Enterprise
Ashton Trade House
ALTIKA CIG (ALTIKA Construction and Innovation Group)
Vasil Kisil & Partners
Vasil Kisil & Partners
Andriy Stelmashchuk; Alexander Borodkin; Tetyana Berezhna
Rost Agro LLC
Miniso Ukraine LLC
European Business Association
Arcona Property Fund N.V.
ROMAD Holding (Cyprus)
Tchibo GmbH (Germany)
Imperial Tobacco Ukraine
USAID Project Credit for Agricultural Producers
- Advised Miniso Ukraine on a dispute with the tax authorities regarding value added tax return.
- Represented WIX.COM in a tax dispute with the tax authority on unreasonably refuse to accept VAT returns of WIX.COM.
- Advised Arcona Property Fund N.V. on various tax issues arising on the fund increase transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Naftogaz of Ukraine
ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih
Inditex (Zara and other brands)
Ukrainian Global University
Mammoet Holding B.V.
Weidmann Electrical Technology AG
Olympic Entertainment Group
Parts ID Inc.
- Advised Naftogaz of Ukraine on tax implications of contemplated $1.4bn. debt restructuring under its notes placed on the Irish Stock Exchange.
- Represented ATB Market in a high-profile and closely watched tax dispute.
- Represented ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih in a series of disputes with tax authority.
‘The team is easy to get in touch with, fast and provides clear responses.’
‘The team has excellent knowledge of local tax requirements and practices.’
‘The team is always very responsive and gives us peace of mind.’
IT Ukraine Association,
- Advised Questrade, a Canadian operator of an online brokerage and stock trading services, on various tax law issues related to the launch and operation of the Client’s Ukrainian R&D office.
- Advised a set of clients on relocation of their teams abroad and restructuring of their cooperation models to optimize the taxation risks rising in this regard.
Oleg Chayka; Kateryna Gupalo
New World Grain (a part of Soufflet Group)
- Advised Astra Zeneka on free supply of medicine as charitable or humanitarian aid.
‘The team has the ability to serve the client in an overall and professional manner.’
‘Distinctive is the expertise from international markets combined with deep knowledge of local matters.’
ED&F Man (Ukrainian Sugar Company)
International Finance Corporation
JSC CB PrivatBank
- Assisted a group of Ukrainian and foreign businessmen with declaring in Ukraine their annual income in the amount of $28.7m received abroad and paying $5.6m taxes to the state budget of Ukraine.
Other key lawyers:
‘With this firm, I get the complete package – they are responsive, diligent, efficient, fast and super client-oriented. The very well-coordinated team helped us to determine all potential risks and find the most suitable solutions.’
‘Vadim Medvedev and Anton Zaderyholova are very skilled, serious and efficient. They are really strong both theoretically and practically.’
The Ministry of Finance of Ukraine
National Power Company “Ukrenergo”
The State Road Agency of Ukraine
- Advised National Power Company “Ukrenergo” on tax matters of its $825m of 6.875% notes guaranteed by Ukraine.
- Represented the State Road Agency of Ukraine in tax matters of a debut $700m issue of 6.25% guaranteed notes due 2028 with a benefit of the sovereign guarantee.
- Advised B.S.A. International SA (Lactalis Group) on analysing tax risks of the proposed deal structure related to the sale of some companies within the Bel Group to Lactalis Group.
Aprico Finance OÜ
Dneprochem International SIA (Latvia)
European Financial Solutions Ltd
BKS Finance Baltic OU
Profinance Line Sp.z.o.o
Celestis Consulting OÜ
Maximus Immobilien GmBH (Germany)
- Assisted Aprico Finance OÜ with all issues of taxation of the client’s international supplies related to Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, UK.
- Advised Dneprochem International SIA (Latvia) on the terms of preparation and passing an audit related to a corporate income tax and AML in the context of reports of 2019-2020.
- Advised BKS Finance Baltic OU on the taxation of supplies of pharmaceutical raw materials from China, Greece and Cyprus to Germany.
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office
‘The team has very good technical skills and understanding of our business.’
‘High-quality work supported by technical grounds and gives us a practical solution.’
‘Hennadiy Voytsitskyi and his tax team have a deep understanding of the Ukrainian tax laws and regulations, making them the firm of choice for all matters relating to corporate tax in this challenging jurisdiction. They are efficient, multi-lingual and commercially minded.’
- Advised the shareholders of Biopharma on the tax implications of the carve-out of its non-plasma business and its further sale to Stada AG.
- Advised A.G.R. Group, a private agricultural innovative holding, on the acquisition of two enterprises in Kherson region — Alpha Farm and Eurasia-Agro — from the US company AG Management Group LLC.
- Advised the shareholders of Depositphotos on the sale of 100% of the shares in Depositphotos.
Ihor Olekhov; Anna Pogrebna
Other key lawyers:
‘Ihor Olekhov is ready to supervise the client’s matters even if they go beyond his area of law practice.’
Air Products Plc
SUW South Ukraine Windplant Holdings Limited
Diligent Capital Partner
- Advised CWP Europe on wind project aquisition in Ukraine, including with tax implications of sale of real estate rich company developing wind energy project.
- Assisted SUW South Ukraine Windplant Holdings Limited with a sale of the South Ukraine Windplant Project.
Dmytro Mikhailenko; Vitaliy Smerdov; Olga Bogdanova
‘Dmytro Mikhailenko & Vitaliy Smerdov carries high professionalism and the ability to informally communicate, which allows a deeper understanding of the client’s problem and ways to solve it.’
CEMENT (CRH GROUP)
INTEGRITY CAPITAL FUND (QUARTER PARTNERS)
IST AGRO SERVICE
TRANS TRADE HOLDING
DREAMSOFT 3D INC.
- Assisted MacPaw Way Ltd with the relocation of IT- specialists to the different EU countries.
- Assisted Simcorp with the development and entering of it in the Diya City tax regime.
- Assisted Bolt with the completion of a tax audit.
‘I’ve got from Eterna Law excellent service in questions I dealt with. I can characterize my experience working with this company in three points: high-quality expertise, a tough schedule and low hustle.’
‘To solve my case, I worked with two managers. One of them, the senior manager, was responsible for the essence of solutions, and the junior manager was responsible for the schedules, status meetings and communication. It was quite efficient and very easy to operate with them.’
Levstar Holding SA
Mr Oh Kyung Hoon
Hosting Solutions, LLC
EUCON Legal Group
Yaroslav Romanchuk; Larysa Vrublevska
ILF Consulting Engineers Polska Sp. z o.o.
Plastics Ukraine, LLC
ELECTRUM UKRAINE, L.L.C.
Pruszynski Ukraine, LLC
Louis Dreyfus Commodities Ukraine Ltd
- Assisted ELECTRUM UKRAINE, L.L.C. with a tax dispute regarding the administrative appeal to the State Tax Service of Ukraine of the tax notice-decision on the refusal in the budget refund of VAT.
- Assisted Pruszynski Ukraine, LLC with the preparation of transfer pricing documentation.
- Advised Louis Dreyfus Commodities Ukraine Ltd on transfer pricing services.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very professional and client-oriented.’
EP Ukraine B.V.
Ministry of Digital Transformation of Ukraine
Ministry of Energy of Ukraine
Geo Alliance Partnership
- Assisted the Ministry of digital transformation of Ukraine with the development and fine tuning of the draft law governing the Diia City tax regime for the 2nd reading in the Ukrainian Parliament.
- Advised trusted tax advisor for several international and Ukrainian investors (in particular, EP Ukraine B.V.) on several production sharing agreements out of nine tenders announced in 2019 in Ukraine.
- Assisted the Ministry of Energy of Ukraine with the implementation of the international initiative promoting transparency and government accountability in extractive industries.
Valentyn Gvozdiy; Viktoriia Bublichenko
‘Choosing this team was a correct decision. Even during such hard times for Ukraine in 2022, the practice is more than alive and useful. The team is strong and reliable. The practice successfully keeps on combining both strategic and detail-oriented approaches dealing with a particular legal issue of the client.’
‘We would like to outline the GOLAW individuals` high-level up-to-date market intelligence and broad understanding of the legislative amendments that affect business. They demonstrated their strong capability to work on a huge workload with high quality and quick response time.’
‘GO LAW has unique practice and knowledge of the history and needs of my company and its activities on the territory of Ukraine. They understand problems connected with international financing of our projects as well as purely private commercial relationships.’
Export Guarantee and Insurance Corporation
- Advised the client on tax residency issues.
- Assisted Evyap Trading with the cassation court protecting the client’s interests in the course of a tax dispute.
- Advised EGAP on the tax consequences of sale of the united property complex.
Oleg Dobrovolskyi; Anna Ignatenko
‘We can rely on the advisors from ID Legal Group as top-quality specialists in all matters related to taxation. This qualified team is very much proficient, with an outstanding approach to the case and excellent market vision. We truly regard ID Legal Group as our partner that guarantees high-quality business protection in tax matters.’
‘I believe that Oleg Dobrovolskyi and Anna Ignatenko are among the best tax consultants in Ukraine. They always proved to find the right solution that best fits tough and demanding circumstances. I like their efficiency and dedication.’
‘The team is straight-forward at their advice. It is proactive and well-updated on tax trends and clients’ needs in Ukraine.’
‘My point of contact is Oleg Dobrovolskyi. Oleg is proactive, structured, and has soothing communication. Keep professional distance without any extras. Quick in response.’
‘I can confidently say that the level of competence, knowledge, and expertise of Oleg Dobrovolskyi and his team is very high. They are unparalleled leaders in all matters related to taxation in Ukraine. I recommend approaching them for any questions as regards the relations with tax authorities.’
‘Oleg Dobrovolskyi and Anna Ignatenko are top-notch in Ukrainian tax. Due to their knowledge of tax and management skills, they have got a team of experts who can respond quickly to the highest challenges of nowadays. They are incredibly precise and accurate both in strategical and tactical views, which makes it possible to find the way out from any difficult situation that may arise.’
‘The professional input of Oleg Dobrovolskyi and Anna Ignatenko is unique. I can’t help mentioning their promptness and outside-the-box approach when dealing with our business matters. A quick switch to solving unpredicted issues, readjustment of the company and employees activities is what supported greatly by many of my colleagues and partners in Ukraine.’
‘ID Legal Group has a team with wide tax expertise and a professional approach based on a clear market vision. The team always strives to provide high-level tax solutions across several sectors. Their analytical skill set and tax competence combined with a transparent, stable and consistent attitude lead to the goal accomplishment. Additionally, I would like to admit that ID Legal Group is the best tax controversy partner to cooperate with.’
VEON PLUS LLC (Ukrainian operator of HILTON Hotel Chain)
Association of Citizens of the Charity Centre for Social Medical and Labour Rehabilitation of Afghan War Veterans
EHM Ukraine LLC
BJS Components Ukraine LLC
Korosten MDF Manufacture Plant PJSC
- Advised GoodWill charity fund on avoiding and mitigating the double taxation risks.
- Advised EHM Ukraine LLC operating under English home brank on transfer pricing including the market analysis and financial models of company’s activities in Ukraine.
- Advised VEON PLUS LLC (Ukrainian operator of HILTON Hotel Chain) on $1.8m tax notification dispute.
‘Since the beginning of the war in Ukraine, the team has been heroically working on the ground. Lawyers and partners constantly keep in touch with us. Despite the constant interruptions in communications (because of the bombing, the Internet did not work, mobile communications, there was no electricity), we received all the necessary consultations without delay.’
‘The tax practice is very well-versed in the nuances of the pharmaceutical business. The brilliant team that every year expands the range of services.’
‘The team proved to be focused on client service. Communication is easy and quick. I was impressed by the firm’s reactivity, quick understanding of our requests and needs, speed in delivering the work and excellent interpersonal contacts. They truly care about you, have excellent response times, lawyers strictly follow professional and ethical standards, and billing is fair and accurate.’
‘Roman Marchenko manages to solve a huge number of problems simultaneously. Working with him, you understand why he is so appreciated in the market and why he is so successful: he is always full of ideas and acts like your business partner. What takes others a day can take Roman half an hour.’
‘The firm has a very strong team. Lawyers have an international background and experience in global auditing companies. It makes this team a great advisor for a smart budget.’
Elme Messer Gaas AS
JV Poltava Petroleum Company
COFCO Agri Ukraine
- Assisted companies officials with the interrogations in criminal proceedings on the fact of possible tax evasion.
- Represented a clinet in a complaint to the European Court of Human Rights against tax decisions of national courts.
- Represented JV Poltava Petroleum Company in Ukrainian court against tax notifications-decisions for underpayment of rental fees by Poltava Petroleum Company.
‘I work with the tax partner Viktoriya Fomenko for many years. She and her team deliver in-time and very professional advice. I admire that the result of the team’s work is very practical, and they always propose solutions. The team is well-equipped to deal with all tax matters, including tax consultancy, tax litigation and transfer pricing.’
‘Viktoriya Fomenko is my first contact when it goes to tax advice or dealing with the tax authorities. She always keeps her fingers on the pulse and follows all the changes to the tax legislation and recent court practice. On top of that, she possesses good interpersonal skills and is always available whenever I need help.’
‘The tax team has solid experience in any tax matters that may arise in a dynamic IT business. The team delivers advice of utmost quality, efficiency and proficiency.’
‘Integrites tax team is very professional and well-regarded on the market. They handle our tax disputes, and we are very happy about the results. We have even assigned Integrites to handle several already existing tax disputes (on different stages) because they do it very professionally.’
‘I know Viktoriya Fomenko, a tax partner for many years, and appreciate her knowledge and attitude to clients’ assignments. She has deep knowledge of taxes and can explain complicated things in easy language. Viktoriya is very responsive and would be the one to call if I have complicated tax questions.’
‘It’s always a pleasure to work with the tax team. They are always updated about recent changes to legislation and have practical experience in handling complicated matters. I feel confident when I receive tax advice from them. Their advice is practical, and they use a risk-based approach.’
‘My first point of contact is Viktoriya Fomenko, who is known to be an excellent tax specialist with deep knowledge and a client-oriented attitude. She works with several cross-border matters.’
‘I communicated with Viktoriya Fomenko, the tax partner. She is very responsive, well-organized and knowledgeable. What impressed me a lot is that she has solid knowledge of international taxes, but not only classic knowledge, she is also aware of all developments and trends.’
- Assisted Syvashenergoprom with the ongoing tax and customs advice related to the development and operation of Syvash.
- Represented Eurocape/LongWing on the construction of the €1bn worth, 500 MW wind farm in the south of Ukraine.
- Advised Dunapack Packaging on various taxation matters in Ukraine, including a dispute with the State Tax Service.
‘The specialists working at Kinstellar are highly experienced and well-educated. We had a few chances to collaborate on different Employment topics. The support provided was on the highest level. We felt protected and safe regarding the agreements prepared in close cooperation with Kinstellar. We would suggest working together for other our partners as well.’
4i Capital Partners
- Advised 4i Capital Partners on the sale of its controlling stake in the Ukrainian online payment platform Portmone.com to Kaspi.kz.
- Advised VF Ukraine on a consent solicitation in respect of the outstanding $500m, 6.20% loan participation notes due 2025 issued by VFU Funding PLC.
- Advised Vista, a Cimpress company (Nasdaq: CMPR), on its acquisition of the online graphic design editor Crello and a stock photo marketplace Depositphotos for a total price of $85m.
Alexander Minin; Alexander Shemiatkin; Ivan Shynkarenko
- Represented Ukrainian enterprise of a big international company in the sphere of consumer goods.
- Represented the client in compliance with the customs legislation.
- Represented the company in dispute with the controlling authority on the cancellation of the tax notification-decision.
KPMG Law in Ukraine
Sergey Popov; Oksana Olekhova; Oleksandr Boboshko
Nippon Koei Co., Ltd.
Whirlpool Company Ukraine LLC
Marchesini Group Ukraine
PJSC Ingulets Iron Ore Enrichment Works
OKKO-Business Partner LLC
IMP Logistics Ukraine LLC
DHL International Ukraine JSC
- Advised NETCRACKER LLC on the tax implications and other important aspects of registering as a resident of “Diia City”.
- Assisted the client with properly recognising and declaring tax liabilities.
- Advised Belam-Riga SIA on Ukrainian tax implications and risks that the company’s representative office may incur upon implementing two projects in Ukraine.
LCF Law Group
Legal Alliance Company
‘All the projects, performed in partnership with Legal Alliance, were notable for the high level of professionalism of the legal experts, operational efficiency, an individualized problem-solving approach, and compliance with international legal standards in rendering their legal services.’
‘The Legal Alliance tax practice worked on our projects with full interest and effort to solve our problems and help our business reach the set goals.’
‘The team show a high level of qualification and knowledge of laws and practices.’
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories LLC
Perrigo Ukraine LLC
MEDA Pharmaceuticals Switzerland GmbH
Johnson & Johnson Ukraine LLC
Abbott Ukraine LLC
Roche Ukraine LLC
- Assisted a global pharmaceutical company with the commercial policy and agreements templates covering all the aspects of its business in Ukraine.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company on recommendations regarding the necessary actions to mitigate tax risks.
- Assisted a global pharmaceutical company with the specifics of taxation of a non-resident entity in Ukraine.
Vichunai Ukraine (Vici Group)
First Private Brewery
- Advised IFCEM on the new legislation on controlled foreign companies.
- Represented PBK Radomyshl in appealing a tax notice-decision of the State Tax Service of Ukraine for the total amount of $15m.
- Advised Vichunai Ukraine and Vichiukrtrans on the tax consequences of debt-to-equity swap.
Slava Vlasov; Maksym Dudnyk; Olga Trifonova; Anna Nevmerzhytska; Vita Miroshnychenko; Yulia Kadibash; Inna Andrushchenko
FLEXTRONICS TOV PLANT, LLC
LTG CARGO UKRAINE, LLC
Yves Rocher Ukraine
Alfa Smart Agro
- Assisted Alfa Smart Agro with the transformation of business in Ukraine.
- Assisted with the completion of an absolutely new and unique project for Ukraine.
- Represented ArcelorMittal in cancelling $95m taxes and fines.
- Assisted Concorde Capital with tax due diligence, including the analysis of the existing ownership and lease rights.
- Advised Eni on all issues arising out from the company’s activity in Ukraine.
Svitlana Musienko; Vitaliy Odzhykovskyy
‘The team has a conscientious attitude, mutual understanding and good working contacts.’
‘Vitaliy Odzhykovskyy showed an individual approach to our requirements, the ability to quickly navigate in non-standard situations, and a high level of competence in his field.’
Philip Morris Ukraine
Reckitt Benckiser Household and Healthcare
Dmytro Syrota; Serhiy Dzis; Mykola Melnyk
‘I have been working with VB PARTNERS for more than four years. One of the main factors in choosing this firm was that the VB PARTNERS team of lawyers has experience in the field in which our company operates. I appreciate that VB PARTNERS` team provide an integrated approach and involvement of a partner in each of our projects.’
‘Vladimir Vashchenko is a highly efficient lawyer. Impressive is also Mr Vashchenko’s level of dedication and his ability to foresee and bring to the attention of the management possible risks and legal complications before they arise.’
‘One of the market’s very few boutique law firms, specifically targeted at dealing with complicated disputes. They are strong in tax disputes. VB PARTNERS’ lawyers are efficient and results-driven. Also, they can quickly make the right decisions in dynamically changing circumstances and implement them, transforming them into results.’
Shareholders and top managers of Delta Bank, PJSC
Trans Holdings Overseas
Colliers International Group Inc.
- Represented majority shareholder of DELTA BANK, PJSC in a criminal case on suspicion of tax evasion in the amount of $1m.
- Represented Trans Holdings Overseas in a dispute on the return of the berth dues and VAT.
- Represented Svitland Development in criminal proceedings concerning the land tax evasion in particularly large amounts.
Avaya Netherlands B.V.
- Advised Snap on Ukrainian taxation and the newly created legal regime for IT businesses and professionals called Diia City.
- Advised Microsoft on various corporate tax matters in connection with its products’ warranty program.
- Advised Ukrmilkinvest on Ukrainian corporate and farming tax matters.