Aequo's team provides 'a high-quality legal product tailored to the needs of the project'. One client noted its 'excellent technical knowledge and an exceptional client-oriented approach'. The group is well-versed in sophisticated cross-border M&A, and frequently acts for large corporates and private equity houses. It recently assisted leading Russian telecommunications group Mobile TeleSystems with the $734m sale of its Ukrainian business. Anna Babych leads the corporate and M&A team, working closely with managing partner Denis Lysenko. Of counsel Oksana Krasnokutskaya and counsel Michael Lukashenko are among other key practitioners.
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Ukraine
Anna Babych; Denis Lysenko
Other key lawyers:
Oksana Krasnokutskaya; Michael Lukashenko; Yulia Kyrpa
‘The firm provides a high-quality legal product tailored to the needs of the project. We recommend Mikhail Lukashenko, Anna Babych.’
‘Aequo is one of our main providers of legal due diligence, drafting M&A transaction documents and general legal advice. Partners of Aequo are easy to contact and they are always available to give an extra contribution.’
‘Anna Babych and Yulia Kyrpa are partners with whom we usually work. Anna has a good hand in negotiating during M&A deal, while Yulia demonstrates good attention to legal details in complex transactions.’
‘Great communication project management, with excellent technical knowledge and an exceptional client-oriented approach.’
‘Exceptional expertise, passion about projects and a result-oriented team.’
‘Anna Babych is extremely hardworking, talented, strategic and easy to work with. She is one the most prominent M&A professionals.’
Arricano Real Estate
Mobile TeleSystems (MTS)
- Advised Mobile TeleSystems (MTS), a leading Russian telecommunications group, on the $734m sale of its Ukrainian business.
- Advised Ardagh Group, a New York Stock Exchange-listed global packaging company, on Ukrainian law matters in connection with $2.5bn merger of its food and specialty metal packaging business with Exal, a leading producer of aluminum containers, to form a new business called Trivium Packaging.
- Advised Daimler, the German multinational automotive corporation, on the Ukrainian aspects of a global restructuring of the group that forms part of an ambitious and wide-ranging reconfiguration of the German car maker’s business. Beginning in 2018, and running into 2020, “Project Future” will see Daimler reduce the number of its business units, reduce staff costs, and try to stem falling profits amid a shift away from diesel to eclectic vehicles.
Arzinger's corporate and M&A practice is praised for its 'client-oriented and well-customised approach, as well as round-the-clock availability'. 'The quality of their work and advice is far above other law firms in Ukraine', says a client of partners Timur Bondaryev and Anna Zorya, and counsel Alesya Pavlinskaya, who jointly lead the practice. The firm recently assisted with the management buyout of the Ukrainian Hubert Burda Media business, which holds more than 45 brands, including Marie Claire, Playboy, Lisa and Burda Style.
Timur Bondaryev; Anna Zorya; Alesya Pavlynskaya
‘We have been working with the firm for over a decade. The firm has assisted us in the establishment and restructuring of companies. We very much appreciate the fact that the staff does not change constantly, as is often the case in other law firms.’
‘The firm has a client-oriented and well-customised approach, as well as round-the-clock availability and the ability to devote resources. It has a balanced choice of teams and specialists engaged, and is an absolute match for clients’ needs. It delivers timely preparation of outputs at any stage in any required format, and a proactive approach to problem-solving.’
‘It has a high level of professionalism combined with outstanding soft skills, assuring comfortable cooperation at all levels, and has a clear understanding of clients’ needs and interests. It shows flexibility and great multi-task performance. This applies to all specialists involved, especially Anna Zorya who ran the process.’
‘The team’s knowledge of EU competition law is outstanding. I would rank the firm as the top firm by far in the market in Ukraine. Their knowledge of EU competition law, despite the fact that it has only been introduced relatively recently in Ukraine, is exceptional. The quality of their work and advice is far above other law firms in Ukraine. The firm also has an exceptionally strong energy practice in Ukraine.’
‘Timur Bondarev, the managing partner, is the go-to-name for competition law in Ukraine. He is the elder statesman of competition law in Ukraine. I would not rank any other lawyer anywhere near his level of expertise in the market.’
‘Arzinger has very professional and experienced team that is well prepared to work efficiently despite the difficulties on the way (cultural, language and also legal barriers).’
‘Anna Zorya is are very client-oriented and attentive to details and to protecting the client’s positions in the most efficient way. At the same time, the lawyers are very transparent and reasonable in all they are doing.’
Zeppelin International AG
OSI International Holding GmbH
Expert Petroleum SPV SARL
Leineweber GmbH& Co. KG (TM Brax)
Burda International Holding GmbH
Von der Heyden Group
Indigo Agriculture, Inc.
LR Global Holdings GmbH
- Successfully completed management buyout of the Ukrainian Hubert Burda Media business holding more than 45 brands, including Marie Claire, Playboy, Lisa, Burda Style.
- Advised Stada AG on acquisition of a non-plasma pharmaceutical business from Biopharma.
- Legal support for establishment of investment fund and asset management company in Ukraine.
Asters is increasingly visible in complex cross-border M&A, handling regulatory issues, antitrust clearances and contractual matters. It is currently assisting Transportation Ukraine GE Transportation with the execution of a $1bn framework agreement with JSC Ukrainian Railways for the supply and maintenance of the diesel freight locomotives. Oleksiy Demyanenko, Armen Khachaturyan (who is 'one of Ukraine's leading lawyers' and Vadym Samoilenko lead the large corporate and M&A practice, in which partner Oleg Boichuk and counsels Olena Radko and Oles Kvyat are increasingly active. Senior associate Oleksandr Khomenko is also recommended by clients.
Oleksiy Demyanenko; Armen Khachaturyan; Vadym Samoilenko
Other key lawyers:
Oleg Boichuk; Olena Radko; Oles Kvyat; Oleksandr Khomenko
‘The firm is very strong for corporate and also competition matters. If you research this area you quickly discover that they literally wrote the book on it, and most of the underlying legislation as well!’
‘Armen Khachaturyan is excellent. He is one of Ukraine’s leading lawyers. Counsel Olena Radko is very thorough, knows her stuff inside-out and has great attention to detail.’
‘We use the corporate team, led by Oleg Boichuk, which is very knowledgeable on M&A transactions, both from a UK and Ukraine point of view. They understand the process and legal issues, and provide a swift response. Their command of English is also excellent.’
‘Oleg Boichuk is extremely good knowledge and understanding of corporate work and M&A transactions, particularly with dealing between UK and Ukraine which is applicable to our business; very commercial view and broad advice; very responsive. Associate Oleksandr Khomenko has very good knowledge and understanding of corporate and M&A work.’
Enwell Energy plc
GE Transportation, a Wabtec Company
Intersections Inc. d/b/a Aura
Irish Bank Resolution Limited (IBRC)
Webuild (ex Salini Impregilo)
- Providing legal support to Transportation Ukraine GE Transportation, a Wabtec Company and Transportation Ukraine on various issues of contractual, regulatory and currency control legislation in relation to execution of $1bn Framework Agreement with JSC “Ukrainian Railways” on supply and maintenance of the diesel fright locomotives.
- Advised Enwell Energy plc, a publicly traded British oil and gas company, on its up to $8.63m acquisition of Arkona Gas-Energy, as well as another potential acquisition of a company holding gas license in Ukraine.
- Ongoing support of Webuild on a broad range of corporate matters and other local legal issues, including public construction contracts, restructuring, licensing issues.
Avellum's team is comprised of lawyers who are 'technically very strong, as well as being very commercial and shrewd negotiators in M&A transactions'. Clients appreciate the firm's 'superior ability to think out of the box and to offer tailored comprehensive solutions, which can only come from unmatched knowledge and expertise'. The firm is frequently involved in the market's most challenging deals, as well as helping to reshape the Ukrainian legal framework. Practice heads Mykola Stetsenko and Yuriy Nechayev are 'both very hands on and extremely responsive'. Counsel Andriy Romanchuk is also a key member of the practice.
Mykola Stetsenko; Yuriy Nechayev
Other key lawyers:
‘They are technically very strong as well as being very commercial and shrewd negotiators in M&A transactions’
‘Mykola Stetsenko and Yuriy Nechayev are both very hands-on and extremely responsive.’
‘The team shows commercial awareness, good negotiation and project management skills, and involvement in legislative processes.’
‘Mykola Stetsenko, Yuriy Nechayev and their team have strong communication skills, the ability to adapt to the client’s circumstances, promptness, and a creative way of thinking.’
‘The Avellum team brings outstanding speed, depth of industry knowledge and a sense of humour to any engagement.’
‘The lawyers at Avellum are able to give me advice I can use to make business decisions. They take the time to understand what I am trying to accomplish, however complex, and cater their advice accordingly.’
‘The firm has a willingness and superior ability to think out of the box and to offer tailored comprehensive solutions which can only come from unmatched knowledge and expertise. This is exactly what sets Avellum apart from its competition.’
‘Simply put, I can always count on Yuriy Nechaev, his superior knowledge of corporate and M&A law and his thorough approach to business. Not only he knows the meaning of meeting clients’ expectations, but he also has a rare skill of consistently exceeding them.’
Van Leeuwen Pipe and Tube Group
ABB Asea Brown Boveri Ltd
Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC
- Advised ABB Asea Brown Boveri Ltd on various Ukrainian corporate and employment law matters related to the global pre-sale reorganisation of ABB group. At the Ukrainian level, the reorganisation involves spin-off of the target power grid business to the newly established entity with subsequent transfer of related assets, contracts, employees and liabilities.
- Acted as the Ukrainian legal counsel to KfW in connection with the sale of its shareholding in ProCredit Bank to ProCredit Holding AG&Co. KGaA, which now owns 100% of the shares in Procredit Bank.
- Acted as the Ukrainian legal counsel to Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, the international information services provider of information to global and specialist markets, on the acquisition of Census Commodity Data having a Ukrainian subsidiary Census Commodity Data Ukraine.
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office is 'the most reliable and professional partner for corporate and M&A matters'. The firm has a prominent role in large cross-border corporate transactions, acting on behalf of global companies with their investments in Ukraine, as well as large established Ukrainian businesses pursuing outbound investments. Viacheslav Yakymchuk leads a practice that is 'reliable, business-oriented, always accessible and ready to bring innovative solutions'. Olha Demianiuk is a leading adviser on M&A and healthcare matters. Counsel Andrii Moskalyk is noted for transactions in the energy sector.
Other key lawyers:
Andrii Moskalyk; Olha Demianiuk
‘Baker McKenzie is the most reliable and professional partner for corporate and M&A matters.’
‘Vyacheslav Yakimchuk is a very reliable partner and he has built a very professional team.’
‘The firm is very reliable and business-oriented, always accessible and ready to help, proactive and ready to bring innovative and non-standard solutions.’
State Property Fund (in consortium with EY)
- Acted as lead legal counsel to Remington Seeds, one of the largest seed producer in the world, with respect to a strategic agreement with MAIS to purchase its seed plant and farming operations in Ukraine. The transaction involved heavy group restructuring including carve-out and clean-up of the business.
- Advising the shareholders of Biopharma, a leading Ukrainian manufacturer of pharmaceuticals and healthcare products, on the carve-out of its non-plasma business and its further sale to Stada AG, a global manufacturer of pharmaceuticals and consumer healthcare products. This transaction represents one of the largest financial investments in the Ukrainian pharmaceutical industry.
- Advising Polenergia International on the structuring of the JV to participate in the PPP project in the power sector. The project embraces both infrastructure component related to the establishment of long-term cooperation between the Ukrainian government and several state-owned energy companies and a group of privately owned energy companies and an M&A component related to the definition of the terms of joint participation of such privately-owned energy companies in the project.
CMS continues to be involved in some of the largest and most complex M&A deals; a recent example involved the firm acting as lead counsel to TIS Group on a landmark joint venture transaction marking DP World’s entry into Ukraine. The firm is 'remarkably strong in M&A and corporate work, showing amazing responsiveness'. Its merger with Danevych.law has boosted its presence in the life sciences sector. Graham Conlon, Johannes Trenkwalder, Tetyana Dovgan and Maria Orlyk are the partners in the 14-lawyer practice. 'Quick-witted, smart and result-oriented' senior associate Vitalii Mainarovych is also recommended.
Graham Conlon; Johannes Trenkwalder; Tetyana Dovgan; Maria Orlyk
Other key lawyers:
‘I have worked much with the M&A team of CMS Kyiv office. I cannot but say that they are remarkably strong in M&A and corporate work. The key strengths include having in team both English and Ukrainian law qualified lawyers, the most extensive experience in M&A in Ukrainian market, its attention to both legal and commercial issues, and amazing responsiveness and prompt reaction.’
‘I work most with partner Tetyana Dovgan. Tetyana is an excellent lawyer successfully combining profound legal expertise and understanding of the client’s business. Her business acumen impresses. Also, I cannot but mention Tetyana’s exceptional negotiating skills. She always fights her client’s corner and achieves great results. A rising star in Tetyana’s team is senior associate Vitalii Mainarovych. He is quick-witted, smart and result-oriented.’
‘Exceptional service from a timing perspective, excellent lawyers in terms of legal understanding and being commercial.’
‘Tetyana Dovgan is an exceptional corporate lawyer with a very good commercial understanding of issues, not solely on Ukrainian matters. Vitalii Mainarovych is an exceptional corporate lawyer with a firm understanding of common law issues, and who takes a very commercial approach to important matters.’
‘The firm has a strong Ukrainian legal background. Maria Orlyk and her team provided clear, on-time deliverables and was always available to discuss topics. Especially valued was the firm’s great responsiveness and flexibility. The team was effective and straight to the point, not afraid to disagree, solution-focussed, and willing to work out a way towards the common objective.’
Gas Transmission System Operator LLC
PJSC Main Gas Pipelines of Ukraine
Scatec Solar ASA
- Advising TIS Group on a landmark joint venture transaction marking DP World’s entry into Ukraine (the highest-profile M&A deal in 2020 to date).
- Advised a CEE private equity firm on simultaneous acquisition of two top players on the optical market – Optical Network and Optiplaza.
- Acting as legal advisor to Gas Transmission System Operator LLC (Ukrainian TSO), one of the largest companies in Ukraine with more than 11 thousand headcount on a wide range of issues, including comprehensive advice on corporate governance matters.
Dentons exhibits 'always with the highest standard of knowledge and expertise, with great knowledge of local specifics and the regulatory environment'. The firm is acknowledged to be a leading player in complex matters of corporate governance, compliance, joint ventures, regulatory compliance and cross-border M&A. Its work spans the major sectors of the Ukrainian economy, including agriculture, energy, retail, life sciences, financial services and technology. Oleg Batyuk leads the practice, in which US-qualified partner Adam Mycyk is a prominent adviser on M&A and capital markets transactions. Volodymyr Monastyrskyy and newly promoted energy partner Maksym Sysoiev also play key roles.
Other key lawyers:
Adam Mycyk; Volodymyr Monastyrskyy; Maksym Sysoiev
‘Dentons provide a whole area service, always with the highest standard of knowledge and expertise. Great knowledge of local specifics and the regulatory environment. Its international background complements the local one.’
‘Oleg Batyuk is the leading attorney and manager of Kiev office. Case by case, he involves expert counsel in each area. His personal approach is extremely close, and he has a practical way to approach every matter.’
- Advising an international investor on the acquisition of a wind farm site (up to 60MW) and further development and building of a wind farm.
- Advised VLC Renewables, the Jersey-based fund established by Low Carbon and Vitol, on its investment in the first phase of a 500MW onshore wind farm at Zaporizhia in Ukraine.
- Advised an international investor on the acquisition of the Ukrainian company which specializes in design and construction of modern technologies. The scope of work also included merger control advice, drafting of the SPA, as well as complex advice on Ukrainian legislation.
Kinstellar has a practice that is ‘diligent, knowledgeable, responsive and practical‘. The firm is known mainly for complex cross-border M&A, joint venture and commercial transactions, corporate reorganisations and corporate governance advice. Iryna Nikolayevska, who is ‘practical and clear in her advice‘, leads the corporate and M&A practice. Olexander Martinenko, former senior partner at CMS, joined as head of the dispute resolution and commercial practices. Energy partner Olena Kuchynska also plays a key role in major deals. Since publication, the firm acquired DLA Piper’s office in Ukraine, adding individuals including Alla Kozachenko, associate Inna Koval and legal director Anastasiya Bolkhovitinova (who specialises in the aerospace and defence sectors) to the team.
Iryna Nikolayevska; Alla Kozachenko
Other key lawyers:
Olena Kuchynska; Olexander Martinenko; Inna Koval; Anastasiya Bolkhovitinova
‘Diligent, knowledgeable, responsive and practical, with strong language skills.’
‘Iryna Nikolayevska is very diligent, responsive and dedicated to the job, practical and clear in her advice.’
‘I enjoyed a lot working with Kinstellar’s Ukrainian corporate and M&A team. The team’s work is always cost and time-efficient, every piece of advice is based on a wealth of experience and excellent knowledge of corporate and adjacent areas of law, and even response to a smallest question with a smallest budget includes an in-depth analysis and proposes a complete solution to a problem discussed.’
‘Olena Kuchynska is a super knowledgeable legal professional and a bright and capable leader. It is always a pleasure to have Olena as a point of contact at Kinstellar.’
MAIS Agrarian Holding
UMG Investments LLC
Naftogaz of Ukraine
British Embassy Kyiv
WIZZ Air Hungary Kft.
State Property Fund of Ukraine (SPFU)
- Acted as Ukrainian legal counsel to the leading Ukrainian seed producer MAIS in connection with the establishment of a joint venture with a strategic investor, the US company Remington Seeds – the largest third-party seed producer in the world.
- Acted as Ukrainian legal counsel to UMG Investments in connection with its acquisition of a minority stake in Feednova LLC, a Ukrainian company focusing on production of feed additives for farm animals and pets, and the subsequent establishment of a joint venture with Effective Investments Group and other stakeholders of Feednova.
- Acting as Ukrainian legal counsel to Foreign and Commonwealth Office, British Embassy Kyiv, on the project of Support of the corporate governance reform of the Ukrainian state-owned defence company Ukroboronprom.
Redcliffe Partners provides 'exact solutions for complex legal issues and its corporate and M&A team stands out for its dedication and accessibility'. The firm is consistently involved in some of the most sophisticated and challenging transactions in Ukraine, in part due to its in-depth knowledge of key industry sectors such as agriculture, energy, IT, pharmaceuticals and retail. M&A head Zoryana Sozanska-Matviychuk (who is 'a very clever lawyer and impressive negotiator'), corporate and compliance head Rob Shantz and founding partner Dmytro Fedoruk are all prominent practitioners.
Zoryana Sozanska-Matviychuk; Rob Shantz; Dmytro Fedoruk
‘Redcliffe Partners offered a broad number of professionals able to provide exact solutions for complex legal issues in variety of legal practice areas. In my view, its corporate and M&A team stands out for its dedication and accessibility. During demanding times the team was available 24/7 and their prompt advise contributed a lot to our success in negotiations.’
‘Zoryana Sozanska-Matviychuk a very clever lawyer and impressive negotiator. I appreciated her hands-on approach and personal attention given to the transaction.’
‘The team is extremely experienced and knowledgeable in specifics of venture capital transactions in the IT industry. It was a real pleasure to work with the Redcliffe team, which is definitely at the top of the market. They have strong commercial acumen and their performance is stellar.’
‘Our overall impression is that Zoryana Sozanska-Matviychuk is very practical and solutions-driven, and she’s definitely a top-notch legal adviser in Ukraine who is capable of dealing with the most notable and complex cross-border deals (especially with English-law governed deals).’
‘I have never worked with such a kind, proactive and experienced legal firm. They are the best compared to others. They focus on all of the client’s interests and needs.’
‘Zoriana Sozanska-Matviychuk is the best. She is an educated and experienced partner.’
‘The strength of the firm is to be very kind with the client and to provide very short but always qualified advice.’
Aragon Capital/ Clear Energy
European Investment Bank
MNG/ MAPA Group
- Advised leading fintech company YayPay Inc. in connection with €17m acquisition by Quadient.
- Continuing to advisie MNG/ MAPA Group, a leading Turkish group of companies operating in construction, hospitality, renewable energy and airports across EMEA, on all matters of their operations in Ukraine, including various corporate, employment and potential investment matters, particularly in relation to a solar plant project being developed in Zhytomyr region of Ukraine and participation in tenders for constructions of roads and airports.
- Following its representation of SALIC (Saudi Agricultural and Livestock Investment Company) in relation to the 2018 acquisition of Mriya (2018 CEE Deal of the Year Award), the firm continues to advise this client on a broad range of matters, including land reform, potential investment into infrastructure, post-closing integration and various contractual matters.
Sayenko Kharenko has 'a dedicated, decent and professional team, that always gives advice taking into account all the angles'. In 2020, the firm handled more than 30 cross-border M&A deals with a combined value in excess of $1bn. According to one of its clients, 'they think out of the box and find best solutions even when it seems impossible'. The practice is jointly led by Vladimir Sayenko, Oleksandr Nikolaichyk and Alina Plyushch. The firm hired Peter Teluk from Salkom and government relations specialist Oleg Samus joined from investment company Graterra LLC. Counsels Sergiy Kazmirchuk and Dmytro Korbut are also integral to the practice.
Vladimir Sayenko; Oleksandr Nikolaichyk; Alina Plyushch
Other key lawyers:
Peter Teluk; Oleg Samus; Sergiy Kazmirchuk; Dmytro Korbut; Tetiana Dyvak; Oksana Daskaliuk; Ilhar Hakhramanov; Angelina Danileyko
‘Obvious strengths of the practice are its strong professional expertise, very quick reactions to our requests and the provision of corresponding feedback, and the readiness to assist us 24 hours a day 7 days a week.’
‘The practice did not always wait for us to call or email to them to update the status of the action plan implementation information or to ask problematic questions. Instead, they regularly contacted us on their own initiative to make sure if the squeeze-out was being implemented as planned.’
‘Partner Oleksandr Nikolaichyk, associate Tetiana Dyvak and senior associate Oksana Daskaliuk are experienced professional in the field of law. We liked the business-oriented approach of Oleksandr Nikolaichyk in clearly splitting responsibilities for the implementation of respective steps of the action plan. Oleksandr also provided valuable support as regards the peculiarities of how to deal with the requirements of National Securities and Stock Market Commission of Ukraine applied to a joint-stock company engaged in a squeeze-out procedure.’
‘Tetiana Dyvak and Oksana Daskaliuk were accessible on the phone whenever it was needed that helped us in solving a number of urgent matters which usually occur during every legal project and cannot be predicted beforehand.’
‘SK Law firm has a dedicated, decent and professional team, that always gives advice taking into account 360 degrees and all the angles. They think out of the box and find the best solutions even when it seems impossible. We have cooperated for more than a year and are happy to receive professional advice at all stages.’
‘Oleksandr Nikolaychyk is excellent at building bridges between business needs and law rules, finding solutions and communication. He is business-driven and open-minded.’
‘The team is meticulously detailed, fair, communicative, knowledgeable, strategic and approachable.’
Getin Holding S.A.
Huhtamaki Foodservice Ukraine
Piping Rock Health Products
Risoil Kherson LLC and Risoil Olvia LLC
VR Global Partners L.P.
- Providing structuring advice for the largest impact-investment pioneer project in Ukraine “Promprylad.Renovation”
- Advising OH Holding Limited on disposal of majority stake in Luxoptica Group and creation of joint venture with EssilorLuxottica.
- Acting for Risoil Kherson LLC and Risoil Olvia LLC as the winner of the pilot concession tender in Ukraine.
EY Law is increasingly visible in both local and cross-border matters, and it has featured prominently in many high-profile deals; one example concerned its advice to Naftogaz of Ukraine on the sale of Gas Transmission System Operator of Ukraine LLC by JSC Uktransgaz. The practice is led by Borys Lobovyk, who works closely with Albert Sych. Senior associate Olena Dreval has 'a very good understanding of corporate law'.
Other key lawyers:
Albert Sych; Olena Dreval
‘Senior associate Olena Dreval has a very good understanding of corporate law and tax matters and is able to follow and implement clients’ needs.’
Gorilla Group (A Wunderman Thompson Company)
Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine
Naftogaz of Ukraine
- Advised Naftogaz of Ukraine on the sale of Gas Transmission System Operator of Ukraine LLC by JSC Uktransgaz to JSC “Mahistralni Gazoprovody Ukrainy” and on the transfer of the gas transmission system of Ukraine from JSC Ukrtransgaz to Gas Transmission System Operator of Ukraine LLC, as part of the Ukrainian gas transmission system operator unbundling project.
- Advised IFC, EBRD and Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine on two pilot concession projects in Kherson seaport and Olvia seaport.
- Advised Horizon Capital on acquisition of a significant minority stake in MAKEUP.
Ilyashev & Partners provides 'high-quality and creative services, and the level of client loyalty is incredible'. The firm has specialist expertise in the banking, agribusiness, transport, energy, construction, FMCG, pharmaceuticals and telecommunications sectors, though its work in high-value cross-border transactions extends to many other industries. 'Bright minds and well-known market stars' Mikhail Ilyashev and Roman Marchenko jointly lead the practice. Partner Yevgen Solovyov, and counsels Oleksandr Padalka and Leonid Gilevich, are also highly recommended.
Mikhail Ilyashev; Roman Marchenko
Other key lawyers:
Oleksandr Padalka; Yevgen Solovoyov; Leonid Gilevich; Vyacheslav Sytyi
‘We are fully satisfied with our longstanding cooperation, exceptional leadership, and service.’
‘The corporate and M&A team of Ilyashev & Partners has many bright minds: Mikhail Ilyashev and Roman Marchenko are well-known market stars. The secret of the success of the entire company lies in the stability and professionalism of the team. In particular, in the practice of corporate law. The firm employs excellent specialists Vyacheslav Sytyi and Yevgen Solovoyov, who have been accompanying our projects for over ten years. and made a huge contribution to the development of our business.’
‘Ilyashev & Partners has a legendary legal team, which covers all corporate law issues. I follow their practice in this area with great interest.’
‘The market knows that the company has built strong relationships with clients – the level of loyalty is incredible. This was noted by everyone on the market during the outbreak. The offices of the firm did not close, the clients received services in full without interruption.’
‘Roman Marchenko is very hands-on and a strong leader. He always manages to structure deals well and maintains the highest quality. He really focuses on the interests of his client while remaining deal-driven. Mr Marchenko is very creative and co-operative.’
‘This law firm is a top-choice for challenging deals where you need to invent a new kind of solution or to improve the current practice. They work tirelessly to get deal done, because they do care about their reputation. The main difference of Ilyashev & Partners is that they have courage to fight for the best result ever.’
‘I work closely with Mikhail Ilyashev. I think very highly of him. Mikhail is extraordinarily talented. Mikhail knows our market and company very well, understands its needs and gets to the heart of an issue. He is absolutely one of the best in Ukraine when it comes to corporate and M&A, one of the leaders in this field.’
‘A mega-qualified and committed team.’
UPD Holdings Limited
JV Poltava Petroleum Company
Al Ghurair Investments
- Representing UPD Holdings Limited in the course of the acquisition of 33.5% shareholding in Ocean Plaza Project (Cyprus) Ltd.
- Representing the interests of sellers of shares of PFTS Stock Exchange in the AMCU upon obtaining permission for concentration in the process of acquiring 49.9% of PFTS Stock Exchange PJSC shares by WOCE Co., Limited (Hong Kong).
- Advising GrainCorp Ltd on a complex corporate and commercial matter.
Integrites is 'very proactive, attentive to details, executing everything in time and predicting client's needs'. As one client notes: 'they are very good in generating new solutions helping to unblock the negotiation process'. The practice is led by Illya Tkachuk, who works closely with Munich-based partner Julian Ries. It is increasingly involved in major M&A transactions, notably in the energy, agriculture and retail sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Yulia Bleshmudt; Olga Tersina
‘Integrites’ commercial, corporate and M&A team is very proactive, attentive to details, executing everything in time and predicting client’s needs. This team provides clients with legal updates and legal alerts.’
‘Compared to the other law firms they usually give good business solutions and propose different options for resolving problems.’
‘Illya Tkachuk is skilled in corporate solutions, attentive to the client matters and he understands the peculiarities of different industries.’
‘Associate Yulia Bleshmudt is proactive and attentive to the client’s requests. She stays one step ahead of client’s issues. She drafts good contracts and memorandums.’
‘Associate Olga Tersina is good in corporate matters and in preparing of legal due diligence.’
‘The team has good expertise and fast reaction to the requests.’
‘I would specially outline Illya Tkachuk who is a good lawyer and matured negotiator. He helped us to find solutions in very complicated situations. Also, I would mark Yulia Bleshmudt who is very responsible and attentive to details.’
‘Illya Tkachuk always tries to make himself available in case of need, is excellent in labour law and produces the exact answers to concrete questions.’
Ministry of Finance of Ukraine and JSB Ukrgazbank
- Advising a client on developing onshore 750MW wind project “Zophia”. At its full capacity, Zophia project represents a total investment of more than €1bn and will consist of approximately 180 wind turbines.
- Advising EuroCape/LongWing, independent European wind farm developer and operator, on the corporate restructuring related to the construction of the first 98MW phase of a planned 500MW wind farm in Ukraine. This is the first Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) project in renewable energy in Ukraine.
- Advising Sibelco Group on the acquisition of a group of companies specialising in the extraction of mineral resources in Ukraine. The deal constitutes the complex pre-sale restructuring, including the squeeze-out of minority shareholders, creation of holding companies and liquidation of trading companies. The acquisition of the facilities which have officially become part of Sibelco helped the client to grow its positions on the regional market and increase its access to reserves of raw materials.
Lexwell & Partners garners praise from clients, with one noting 'the high-end quality, in-depth legal analysis and top level of professionalism'. According to another client, 'they are really responsive and offer effective solutions'. The firm's work spans multiple key sectors, such as metallurgy, energy, construction, automotive and pharmaceuticals. It recently assisted VS Energy with the $250m sale of energy distributing companies. Practice head Igor Nagai and partner Andrei Kolupaev are the names to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have been working with the firm for over ten years. Premium legal quality and client-oriented approach is the key strength of the team. I like their tailored approach to each specific case. I am really impressed by the high-end quality, in-depth legal analysis and top level of professionalism.’
‘My key contact is Andrei Kolupaev, a partner of the firm. I believe he is a remarkable lawyer, who perfectly knows his clients’ demands and always sees the big picture. He is very responsive and gives the best possible result I could expect.’
‘We have been working with Lexwell & Partners for a long time (more than ten years) and am always satisfied with services provided. They are truly excellent and impressive due to the depth of their professional expertise. They are really responsive and, what I appreciate the most, offer effective solutions.’
‘My main contacts are Andrei Kolupaev and Igor Nagai. Their key strengths are strong expertise and practical approach. They are very focused and attentive to details.’
‘We used this firm for many years for various projects as they are our strategic legal partner in Ukraine. We assigned to Lexwell & Partners a number of sophisticated and high-profile legal matters which are critical for our smooth operations in Ukraine. They provide top quality and ensure the best results. So, high quality, strong expertise and a client-oriented approach are the strengths of the firm.’
‘My main contact is Andrei Kolupaev. His key strengths are expertise, and a hardworking and practical approach.’
PHV (Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger)
Summit Motors Ukraine
- Provided legal advice to CRH on $5m acquisition of the logistics terminal.
- Provided legal advice to VS Energy on the $250m sale of energy distributing companies.
- Providing legal advice to VS Energy on the restructuring of the hotel business of the VS Energy group valued above $100m.
NOBLES provides the full spectrum of commercial, corporate and M&A legal services to international businesses. It is notably active in the IT, e-commerce, media, telecommunications, insurance and real estate sectors. The firm's workload mainly consists of complex cross-border transactions, which recently included advising Swiss company Viatrans SA on the sale of a substantial interest in Ukraine's leading insurance company. Volodymyr Yakubovskyy and German-qualified partner Alexander Weigelt are the lead practitioners.
Volodymyr Yakubovskyy; Alexander Weigelt
H&M Hennes and Mauritz
BayWa Marketing & Trading International B.V.
Fr Meyer’s Sohn(GmbH & Co.) KG
Auto1 Group GmbH
Fujitsu Technology Solutions GmbH
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
- Advised European hostel operator, Dreamgroup Management, on the cross-border sale of hostels in Central and Eastern Europe to Safestay plc, a London-based listed company and operator of an international brand of contemporary hostels.
- Advised Viatrans SA, a Swiss company in the area of TIR-insurance and international transportation activities, on the sale of its substantial participation interest in the leading insurance company in Ukraine.
- Advised a group of private foreign investors from the UK, the USA, and Spain with the funding to a Ukrainian medical laboratory to increase its capacity of early diagnostics of COVID-19, as well as other fungal and HIV diseases.
PwC Legal leverages its international network of offices to handle high-value cross-border transactions, often advising on tax and legal due diligence. Through its Deals Platform, the firm has developed a full range of buy and sell-side legal services, including growth strategy development and portfolio optimisation. Lead partners Alexey Katasonov and Oleksandra Kostrytsia recently assisted NEQSOL Holding with its $734m acquisition of mobile operator VF Ukraine.
Alexey Katasonov; Oleksandra Kostrytsia
Development and Construction Holding (DCH)
Guala Closures SPA
NEQSOL Holding Azerbaijan LLC
- Acted as an adviser in terms of the largest M&A deals in the Ukrainian telecom market, the $734m purchase by client NEQSOL Holding of VF Ukraine Private Joint Stock Company.
At SDM Partners LLC, the team has 'perfect subject matter knowledge and a practical approach to evaluating risk and negotiating strategy'. The firm is well-versed in all aspects of corporate and commercial law, including domestic and cross-border M&A, corporate governance, company reorganisations and liquidations. Dmytro Syrota and Serhiy Dzis lead the practice, which is 'well organised and client-focused, drawing on vast experience to provide clients with practical advice'.
Dmytro Syrota; Serhiy Dzis
‘The firm provides very good communication and is very responsive.’
‘The team has perfect subject matter knowledge and a practical approach to evaluating risk and negotiating strategy. SDM Partners’ team is well organised and client-focused. Each member draws on his vast experience to provide clients with practical advice. They are known for efficient involvement and ability to quickly get to the point.’
‘Dmytro Syrota is highly competent and immediately responsive. He possesses a good ability to think about the business issues, as well as always meeting deadlines. He is extremely client-orientated, responding very quickly to questions asked and providing commercially focused advice.’
Triumph Media Group
- Advice to Nitron on a deal to establish imports of mineral fertilisers into Ukraine.
- Legal support and restructuring of Mogo Ukraine companies
- Restructuring of Coral Travel companies in several jurisdictions.
According to a client, Vasil Kisil & Partners has ‘a professional and client-oriented team successfully applying the best Western practices to Ukrainian business realities’. Volodymyr Igonin leads an 'outstanding set of lawyers with an ambition to go an extra mile in order to meet clients’ expectations'. The firm has a longstanding track record of involvement in challenging M&A deals, both domestic and international, as well as a strength in corporate governance matters.
‘A professional and client-oriented team successfully applying the best Western practices to Ukrainian business realities.’
‘Partner, Attorney-at-Law Volodymyr Igonin is continuously demonstrating a profound understanding of in corporate governance as well as having a client-oriented approach and providing smooth communication.’
‘VKP is known to be one of the best law firms on the Ukrainian market of legal services. I have known the firm for the last 15 years and been actively working with VKP in 2019 and 2020. The outstanding professionalism and client care attitude definitely ensure the firm stands out among others. In particular, I would praise Volodymyr Igonin for exercising a “helicopter view” of the spectrum of clients’ problems, which is the key in this profession. I would certainly recommend Volodymyr and his department as a truly outstanding set of lawyers with an ambition to go an extra mile in order to meet and maintain their existing and moreover potential client’ ‘expectation. Mr Igonin can be characterised as a very diligent, responsible and high-performing “smoking good” lawyer who works around the clock irrespective of any obstacles the circumstances thrown on the transaction cycle. Finally, I would describe Volodymyr as a very professional and diplomatic person who we find very easy to work with. A truly outstanding individual.’
‘Volodymyr Igonin is a partner I used to work with most of all on a number of highly complicated transactions. I can only describe Volodmyr as a 5-star knowledgeable specialist who has a deep understanding of what he’s doing.’
Red Cross Society
Ternopil Milk Plant (Molokija trademark)
Odeh Asalem Automation System ODASCO (UAE)
Arcona Property Fund N.V.
- Legal assistance to Danone Ukraine on the squeeze-out procedure. The team has been supporting two parallel buy-outs of minority shareholdings in two main dairy plants belonging to Danone Group in Ukraine.
- Acting as a legal adviser for Mellanox Technologies, a major supplier of hardware for data centres and software developer.
- Acted for Ingersoll-Rand Plc on the spin-off of its industrial operating segment and merger with industrial pumps and compressors producer Gardner Denver, forming a new company Ingersoll Rand Inc. traded on NYSE. The firm acted as local counsel for the Ukrainian part of the merger which involved the transfer of shares in IR Ukraine to a newly formed Dutch holding company as a part of the general spin-off plan.
Although Wolf Theiss has a small corporate practice in Kiev, it is able to leverage the firm's network of offices across Europe in high-value cross-border transactions. Practice head Taras Dumych is 'very solution-oriented and has a detailed economic understanding' and his team is 'highly professional and very likeable'.
‘We were very satisfied with the support and performance of the entire team headed by Mr Taras Dumych.’
‘Taras Dumych is always available for us – by phone or email with a very quick response time – and he works in a very solution-oriented and has a detailed economic understanding. Apart from the excellent technical knowledge, the team is highly professional and very likeable.’
Vista Equity Partners
Dassault Systèmes SE
Optimum Solar Kft
DSM Nutritional Products
ECOVIS Bondar & Bondar Law Bureau
ECOVIS Bondar & Bondar Law Bureau primarily focuses on the aviation sector, which faced a major crisis in 2020. The firm assisted clients such as Ukraine International Airlines and Interavia LLC with major corporate matters arising from the Covid-19 pandemic. Its work included advice on major PPP projects and corporate restructurings. Lead partners Oleg Bondar and Oleksandra Nikitina continue to expand their client base into other industries, notably healthcare.
Oleg Bondar; Oleksandra Nikitina
Ukraine International Airlines
EnGarde Attorneys at Law
EnGarde Attorneys at Law built its reputation in the first wave of privatisations in Ukraine and remains involved in major corporate transactions, intra-group M&A transactions, corporate restructurings and investments from abroad. Andriy Vyshnevsky, Irina Nazarova and Dmytro Donenko are the lead partners. They recently advised German company Agro-Life GmbH on the acquisition of Ukrainian agricultural business KAU PrJSC.
Andriy Vyshnevsky; Irina Nazarova; Dmytro Donenko
Agro-Life GmbH (Germany)
Scania Credit Ukraine LLC
Fujifilm Electronic Imaging Europe GmbH
BroadGrain Commodities Inc.
Hazera Ukraine LLC
- Advising Agro-Life GmbH (Germany) acquisition of KAU PrJSC, a Ukrainian agricultural business with a major land bank and a plant producing mixed cattle feed.
- Advised Scania Credit Ukraine LLC on legal requirements applicable to the Charter of Scania Credit Ukraine LLC in accordance with the Law of Ukraine “On Limited Liability and Additional Liability Companies”, as well as their implementation.
- Assisted Fujifilm Electronic Imaging Europe GmbH with the reorganisation of its executive body, the establishment of its Supervisory Board, the development of the structure of the company’s management, defining the procedure of interaction between the management bodies and their functions in order to optimise the management process.
Eterna Law's Kiev office works closely with teams in Moscow and Kazakhstan to assist Ukrainian and Russian clients with corporate issues concerning assets in the Crimean peninsula, which includes transactional advice and the drafting and negotiating shareholder agreements. Oleh Malskyy and Artem Kuzmenko are the main corporate partners. Denys Kytsenko (whose 'client-oriented approach makes the cooperation extremely comfortable and effective') is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘In comparison to other law firms the team of Denys Kytsenko is extremely oriented to the result and provides the best level of cooperation within the projects.’
‘For my company, Denys Kytsenko’s team at Eterna Law is one the best and most professional advisors we have ever cooperated with. His result and client-oriented approach makes the cooperation extremely comfortable and effective.’
- Acted as a legal advisor to a group of investment funds in the sale of Core Value companies as well as international structuring and business restructuring in several jurisdictions, including the United States, Poland, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Ukraine. Oaktree Capital Management and Cornerstone Partners bought CoreValue, a technology company with its HQ in the US and development centres in Ukraine and Poland.
- Advising Prime investments regarding a joint venture with Hatchinson Ports regarding investing in the postal infrastructure of Ukraine.
- Advising the beneficial owner of a large vodka company on restructuring and M&A.
EVERLEGAL is best known for its work on M&A transactions in the energy, IT, agricultural and FMCG sectors. The company recently assisted Louis Dreyfus Company Ukraine with the incorporation of a local company for its rail cars leasing business in Ukraine, and the practice led by Yevheniy Deyneko also assisted UDP Renewables with green energy projects. Energy and natural resources partner Andriy Olenyuk is also a key adviser on M&A projects.
Other key lawyers:
UDP Renewables (Ukrainian renewables projects’ developer)
Main Group (Ukrainian renewables projects’ developer)
Louis Dreyfus Company Ukraine (a Ukrainian subsidiary of a global commodities’ trader)
UNIT.City (Ukrainian innovation park)
- Advising Louis Dreyfus Company Ukraine on incorporation of an operational company in Ukraine for carrying on its rail cars leasing business in Ukraine in partnership with the EBRD. Advising Louis Dreyfus Company Ukraine, as a borrower, on attracting financing from the EBRD in the amount of $35m.
- Advising UNIT.City on attracting financing from the European Investment Bank for the construction and development of the innovation park in the amount of €50m.
- Acted as legal counsel to UDP Renewables in connection with the development and construction of a 20MW Terslav solar power plant, which the client has successfully commissioned in the Dnipropetrovsk region of Ukraine on 6 May 2020.
Attorneys’ Association Gestors
Attorneys’ Association Gestors frequently assists overseas investors with the establishment of new businesses in Ukraine. Its client roster includes companies operating in the insurance, banking, pharmaceuticals, and food and beverage industries. The team's workload spans business liquidations, M&A, shareholder agreements, securities law, corporate governance and restructurings. Managing partner Andriy Tsvyetkov and key partners Vitalii Makhinchuk and Olga Lazaryeva oversee the practice.
Andriy Tsvyetkov; Vitalii Makhinchuk; Olga Lazaryeva
McDonald’s Ukraine Ltd
OSPRO MB (Czech Republic)
Roshe Ukraine, LLC
Grayston & Company Sprl
Culpepper IP, LLLC
- Provision of legal advice to McDonald’s Ukraine Ltd on corporate law issues
- Provision of legal advice to PJSC “Donetskoblgaz” on corporate law issues
- Representation of Roche Ukraine, LLC’s interests during accreditation procedure for medicines.
GOLAW frequently handles company formations, investment structuring and the drafting of corporate documents and shareholders agreements, as well as supporting clients in M&A transactions. Sergiy Oberkovych and Max Lebedev advised Indian Solar on sale of a portfolio of solar power projects with capacity of 140MW. The firm has a diverse client base in sectors such as IT, telecoms and energy.
Sergiy Oberkovych; Max Lebedev
Ban Gergely Law Firm
Georgian International Energy Corporation
- Advised Ubisoft Ukraine on $20m long-term lease of a business center for ten years.
- Advised Indian Solar on sale of whole solar power projects portfolio with capacity of 140MW to Sowiwa Group holding.
- Advised Georgian International Energy Corporation on $4m acquisition of shares in the joint venture for solar power plant.
Hillmont Partners LLC is increasingly involved in sophisticated and challenging transactions in Ukraine, owing to its expertise in corporate, commercial, finance, private equity and regulatory matters. Oleksandr Ilkov and Taras Tertychnyi lead the practice in which UK-qualified James Hart is a central figure. ‘The team is intellectually very strong, very client-focused and committed, is innovative in its legal structuring and produces high quality outcomes'. The firm assisted Canada's Black Iron Inc. with a major iron ore project in Ukraine.
Oleksandr Ilkov; Taras Tertychnyi
Other key lawyers:
James Hart; Alyona Shulima; Tetiana Mylenka
‘The team is intellectually very strong versus its peers, is very client focussed and committed and levels of communication are very high. The team generally is innovative in its legal structuring and produces high-quality outcomes.’
‘Taras Tertychnyi is a fine lawyer; he stays on top of his clients’ needs and communicates strongly. He regularly develops solutions which are both intellectually well thought through but explains them in such a way as to allow debate with a non-legal client.’
‘James Hart provides excellent leadership and a very fine overlay of the commercial aspects to the discussion. His client focussed style is extremely refreshing.’
‘The team is particularly competent and very knowledgeable. Work is performed in various levels from junior lawyers, reviewed by more senior counsels whilst partners are always hand on and actively involved. The focuses only on business areas and this makes them highly specialised and unique. We recommended clients to Hillmont and they were extremely satisfied with the handling of the lawyers involved. the team is capable of handling any type of transaction. They have the necessary characteristics to find solutions for any problem, no matter how substantial.’
‘James Hart and Taras Tertychnyi are exceptional lawyers and persons – very knowledgeable and ethical – who have significant expertise and can handle and overcome any issue which may arise in the context of any transaction. Both are also very flexible and, above all, responsive. They are the kind of lawyers with whom each client feels in very safe hands.’
‘The lawyers are superb at all levels. Their team has a thorough knowledge of legislation and judicial practice.The team provides an excellent level of service at fair and reasonable fees.’
‘They provide depth of knowledge, deep understanding of case law, excellent understanding of clients needs.’
‘James Hart is an excellent client interface and very good at translating the riddles of Ukraine into a format that is accessible to the international observer. Taras Tertchyni is serious and diligent with a good and broad cover of Ukrainian joint venture legislation. Practical and straightforward. Counsel Tetiana Mylenka has good knowledge of the energy sector, and is super motivated and highly responsive. She turns around documents at the speed of sound, if not light.’
Black Iron Inc.
Glovoapp Ukraine LLC
Argentem Creek Partners
National Democratic Institute
- Representing Black Iron Inc in land matters in a $1.2bn iron ore mining project, which is largest Canadian investment project in Ukraine to date.
- Providing full-scope legal support to Glovoapp Ukraine LLC, a part of Glovoapp Spain, one of the top-3 courier food delivery services in Ukraine, covering 20 cities and working with about 10 thousand couriers. Advising on a wide range of the company’s corporate, commercial, employment and tax law matters arising from the client’s operations in Ukraine.
- Represented a big international investment company in structuring of a $10m secured loan under English law granted by a Cyprus entity to a Ukrainian entity for the construction of a commercial real estate facility.
Jeantet is the preferred adviser for many French, German, Belgian and Polish companies present in the Ukrainian market. The firm is currently advising French water engineering company Stereau on the potential procurement of project design and construction works by the Mariupol city authorities. Karl Hepp de Sevelinges, who splits his time between Paris and Kiev, and Bertrand Barrier are the lead partners.
Karl Hepp de Sevelinges; Bertrand Barrier
Tryba Energy/ Ekotechnik Shyroke
Ukrainian Power Resources
- Advising Stereau (one of the leading French specialists in water engineering) on the potential procurement of project design and construction works by the Mariupol city authorities under terms and conditions of an intergovernmental agreement signed by and between the governments of France and Ukraine on support of potable water supply.
- Advice to Ocea on public procurement process for construction and delivery of 20 patrol boats by the Ukrainian State Boarder Guard Service. The deal is part of the bilateral treaty between the governments of Ukraine and France.
- Advising Idemia, a world-wide leader of morph-face recognition solutions, on a potential sale of equipment to Ukraine, including overview of airport charges applicable in Ukraine, current regulations on API-PNR data collection, analysis of main options for the project’s implementation with particular focus on commercial procurement by an airport, public procurement and PPP-based solution.
KPD Consulting Law Firm
KPD Consulting Law Firm is increasingly involved in both domestic and international M&A deals and joint venture agreements. Practice head Vitaly Patsyuk and senior associate Yuliya Podolska have become key advisers on recent changes in Ukraine's corporate law and the deregulation of LLC activity. The firm recently advised Diebold Nixdorf on post-closing matters related to the Diebold and Wincor Nixdorf global merger.
Other key lawyers:
Diebold Nixdorf (USA, Germany)
EEPro GmbH (Germany)
CROMOS™ PHARMA UKRAINE
SOLUM LLC (member of Piraeus Bank Group (Greece))
Werner Wirth GmbH (Germany)
Linde Material Handling GmbH (KION GROUP AG, Germany)
Linas Agro (Lithuania)
KIEV REAL ESTATE RECOVERY FUND K.F. LIMITED
TERRA FOOD (Ukraine)
Nexans Deutschland GmbH (Global electronic producer)
ARTEMIS UKRAINE, LLC (Subsidiary of the Greece company))
Sihe Ukraine (subsidiary of the Chinese company)
- Advised Diebold Nixdorf in different corporate post-closing matters related to the Diebold and Wincor Nixdorf global merger: such as change in a management policy, change the head of the representative office in Ukraine; change the management board of Ukrainian subsidiary, etc. the Client’s mandate covers advising on structuring and regulation the transaction; drafting of all required documents; legal assistance in General Shareholders Meeting of Ukrainian Subsidiary; representation the client before state and municipal authorities of Ukraine.
- Supported EEPro GmbH for the acquisition of 100% shares of the 4.5MW renewable energy project in Cherkassy Region, Ukraine for the further development. Client’s instruction covers structuring the transaction, negotiation with the seller, Legal Due Diligence review on corporate and real estate matters, drafting share purchase agreements, charter, shareholder agreement, closing and post-closing assistance, support for the attraction of bank finance.
- Advised CROMOS™ PHARMA UKRAINE as the contract research organisation (clinical research) in relations with the Ukrainian medical institutions and foreign clients, harmonisation of the group contracts with the Ukrainian laws and ethical standards.
KPMG Law in Ukraine
KPMG Law in Ukraine has an integrated M&A, tax, financial and antitrust practice. In 2020, the firm handled more than 15 M&A transactions in Ukraine, including deals in the renewable energy sector. Sergey Popov, Yuriy Katser, Oksana Olekhova and director of tax M&A Maksym Zavalnyy are the names to note.
Sergey Popov; Yuriy Katser; Oksana Olekhova; Maksym Zavalnyy
State Property Fund of Ukraine
Victorix AIF Variable Capital Investment Company
Ministry of Innovation Development of Uzbekistan
Newpark Drilling Fluids s.p.a
Dnipro Buzka Wind Power Plant, LLC
LCF Law Group has developed a corporate and M&A practice through its merger with Evris, which saw practice head Sergiy Benedysiuk arrive at the firm. He frequently advises foreign investors on joint ventures and acquisitions, and investment structuring in sectors such as agriculture, non-residential real estate, industrial manufacturing and FMCG.
LLC “Deloitte & Touche Ukrainian Services Company”
LLC “Deloitte & Touche Ukrainian Services Company”, which is praised by clients for its 'culture of trust and respect', has 'a professional team with good sense of responsibility and compliance'. Dmytro Pavlenko is the main partner in a practice that handles cross-border M&A, the establishment and dissolution of corporate entities, insolvency procedures and competition law issues.
‘There are clear roles and responsibilities among team members. There is mutual respect between members. Leaders create a culture of trust and respect.’
‘The interaction with clients is done with effective open communication, professionalism and the ability to respond quickly to clients needs, as well as flexibility.’
‘A professional team with good sense of responsibility and compliance.’
‘The team is quite professional, cooperative and provides us with their expertise in agreed terms.’
Centravis Ukraine PrJSC
Juul Labs Ukraine
ABB Sp. Z o.o.
State Road Agency of Ukraine
Mareven Food Ukraine LLC
- Full support to Centravis Production Ukraine – in the form of advice, preparation and approval of draft documents. The firm prepared numerous documents and advice, particularly, regarding the property usage, equipment importing issues, customs regimes, claims under the contacts, labour contracts termination, tax risks, and quarantine restrictions.
- The firm ensures that all recommendations given to JUUL Labs ( a leading start-up in the field of electronic cigarettes and vape technologies) meet the client’s interests, incorporate the best global practices in the field and comply with Ukrainian laws and regulations at once.
- The firm handled a financial, tax and legal consulting assignment of the state joint stock company Roads of Ukraine. Deloitte’s report included the main company and its 31 subsidiary companies.
Marchenko Partners has successfully developed its corporate and M&A practice since the arrival of 'skilled and diligent' practice head Roman Shulyar from NOBLES in late 2019. The firm has secured key roles in landmark transactions, notably the acquisition by client DP World of a controlling stake in stevedoring operator TIS Container Terminal. The practice 'always manages to deliver results of superb quality within even the tightest deadlines'.
Moris Group has a small corporate and M&A practice with an impressive client roster that includes multinational businesses in the automotive, finance and agricultural sectors. Practice head Maryan Martynyuk and associate Victoria Volodina are 'top lawyers with outstanding competence and pleasant persons to work with'. They advised the Ukrainian Association of Football on the transfer of assets of a plant for the production of artificial turf for football fields.
Other key lawyers:
‘This practice of Moris Group has a very strong cross-border element. The lawyers work in Ukrainian, Russian, English, among other languages.’
‘Maryan Martynyuk and associate Victoria Volodina are top lawyers with outstanding competence and pleasant persons to work with.’
“Teple Misto” Charitable Organisation
The Orthodox Church of Ukraine
Private Enterprise “MKP “ARKA”
Enterprise with foreign investment “Santekhsvit”
- Legal support to Ukrainian Association of Football for structuring, developing and entering into an agreement for the transfer of assets to management, namely corporate rights (shares) of a plant for the production of artificial turf for football fields, with the aim of optimising production and management, diversifying businesses and increasing market share and, as a consequence, improving financial performance and gaining profit.
- Advised Orthodox Church of Ukraine on the merger of three valid Ukrainian Dioces, on personal legal matters of metropolitan, creation of a religious centre which represents the Orthodox Church of Ukraine – the Kiev Metropolitanate of the OCU, preparation of the statute, including the governing bodies, authorities etc, of a package of documents for registration of the statute by the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine and registration maintenance, preparation of package documents for state registration and its maintenance.
- Comprehensive legal support to Allrise Capital Inc. in the process of acquiring full legal and actual control over the complex of non-residential buildings and structures of the central stadium “Chornomorets” in Odessa.
Law Offices of OMP
Law Offices of OMP is known for its work for investment funds, agribusinesses, pharmaceuticals companies and businesses in the construction, green energy, IT, media and charity sectors. Practice head Yaroslav Sverdlichenko works with partners Mykola Orlov, Igor Ogorodniychuk, Kyrylo Levterov and Valeriy Bitsyuk. The firm advises Crown Agents on public procurement by the Ministry of Healthcare.
Mykola Orlov; Yaroslav Sverdlichenko; Igor Ogorodniychuk; Kyrylo Levterov; Valeriy Bitsyuk
Dedov Agro holding
APK Agro holding
Alpen Pharma AG
Bausch Health (Valeant)
- Provide day-to-day support to CROWN AGENTS in relation to the company’s activity in public procurement by Ministry of Healthcare of Ukraine.
PETERKA & PARTNERS LLC
PETERKA & PARTNERS LLC has 'long experience in the market and a friendly attitude, and the team works effectively and fast'. Working as part of a large network of offices across the CEE region, the Kiev office is able to handle cross-border transactions and advise regional companies on commercial matters. Practice head Taras Utiralov recently assisted Polpharma, the largest Polish manufacturer of pharmaceuticals, with an asset transfer to its subsidiary in Ukraine.
‘The firm has long experience in the market, foreign ownership which creates trust, and a friendly attitude.’
‘Taras Utiralov, is very easy to reach and friendly, as well as highly professional.’
‘Even coming from a developing market, the level of this law firm is very high and comparable with the standards we know from the other countries all over the globe. The team works effectively, fast and is able to bring you valid information or statement within days.’
‘We have been cooperating with two associates, both of very high professional standards.’
Mammoet (SHV Holdings)
Nutreco (SHV Holdings)
- Full support to Mammoet Ukraine, global market leader in engineered heavy lifting and transport services, on contractual matters related to the reconstruction of the Shuliavsky Bridge and Podilsko-Voskresensky Bridge in Kyiv.
- Advised World Courier, the largest specialty logistics company in the world and a part of the AmerisourceBergen Corporation, on a wide range of corporate matters related to corporate governance in Ukraine.
- Advised Polpharma, the largest Polish manufacturer of pharmaceuticals, on asset transfer from its permanent establishment to its subsidiary in Ukraine.
Andriy Kravets & Partners
Andriy Kravets & Partners advises Ukrainian and international clients on a wide range of corporate matters, including domestic and cross-border transactions, and also provides general assistance with corporate management issues. The practice, which is jointly led by Andriy Kravets and Vladyslav Lyaskovskiy, has a strong track record in structuring joint ventures involving private and state-owned companies in a number of key industries throughout Ukraine.
Andriy Kravets; Vladyslav Lyaskovskiy
Group of companies owning business centre located in Kyiv, Ukraine
Ukrainian Agro-Insurance Company
- Advised a group of companies on a $3.2m transaction related to the sale of a business centre located in Kyiv, Ukraine and of the companies owning it.
- Advised Astarta Group on a wide range of corporate matters, corporate management issues, prepared documents for the group companies’ shareholders’/participants’ meetings.
- Advised Aitheon on a wide range of corporate matters, corporate management issues, prepared documents for the group companies’ shareholders’/participants’ meetings.
Ante Law Firm
Ante Law Firm focuses predominantly on the pharmaceuticals and aviation sectors, and counts many international airlines and life sciences companies among its clients. Senior associates Roman Storonskiy and Kateryna Ishchenko are the main lawyers in the practice, which undertakes the registration and liquidation of companies, the opening of local branches and changes in management and corporate structuring. The firm is handling all local corporate issues for Qatar Airways Group.
Roman Storonskiy; Kateryna Ishchenko
Council of Europe Office in Ukraine
Sanofi-Aventis Ukraine LLC
Perrigo Ukraine LLC
Qatar Airways Q.C.S.C. (Representative office in Ukraine)
Lufthansa Group (Representative office in Ukraine)
Air France – KLM (Representative office in Ukraine)
Ernest S.p.A. (Representative office in Ukraine)
Evyap Trading Ukraine LLC
DOĞUSAN İNŞAAT (Representative office in Ukraine)
- Assisted Sanofi-Aventis Ukraine LLC with changing the company’s management, including legitimation of living in Ukraine for non-resident employees.
- Advised DRCT Ltd on risk assessment of the usage of the computer program DRCT for online search, reservation and booking of aviation tickets, which required deep expertise in personal data protection of passengers’ data and tax peculiarities of such cooperation in Ukraine.
- Full legal support to Qatar Airways Group Q.C.S.C. (Representative Office in Ukraine) on all of the airline’s activities in Ukraine, being the only Ukrainian legal partner.
Antika Law Firm
Antika Law Firm has a strong track record establishing and reorganising the local offices of international businesses. It is also sought after for advice on corporate governance matters and M&A. Managing partner Alexey Kot and partners Alexander Burtovoy and Sergii Korniienko are the key names in a 'responsive, commercially-minded and professional team capable of handling delicate cases with very high quality'.
Alexey Kot; Alexander Burtovoy
Other key lawyers:
‘A serious and reputable firm capable of handling delicate cases with very high quality.’
‘Sergii Korniienko is very good communicator, making you feel that you are in safe hands during often quite bureaucratic Ukrainian transactions.’
‘We’ve been working with Antika since 2016. Antika’s team approved itself as professional lawyers who are always ready to assist whenever needed. Antika has a responsive, commercially-minded and professional team that is able to address the issue and rule it to the best result. We saw Antika stands for a continuous reputation for quality, and having in mind this fact we decided to cooperate with this team.’
‘First of all, Antika has a team of true legal experts who proved their loyalty to the client. Among all we would distinguish partners Alexander Burtovoy and Sergii Korniienko. I know Alexander Burtovoy to be a highly qualified and very experienced lawyer. Mr Korniienko is good in focusing certain problems not only from the legal, but also from an economic point of view.’
Magnusson International Verein
AWT Bavaria, LLC
Zoo 12 Months LLC
- Assisted Magnusson International Verein with a debt-to-swap transaction carried out by the Ukrainian subsidiary of the client.
- Assisted Magnusson International Verein with the sale of shares of the Ukrainian subsidiary of the client.
- Assisted AWT Bavaria with developing and successfully implementing the new legal mechanism of renting relations with tenants of the premises of a car centre in the Kyiv Region.
Axon Partners focuses mainly on the IT sector, where it assists small companies with their growth strategies up to the IPO stage. It handles corporate and commercial matters, including internal contracts, distribution agreements, government tenders and business incorporation. Yuriy Kornaga in Lviv and Kiev-based partners Bogdan Duchak and Denys Beregovyi are the main contacts in the practice. The firm is assisting US company Very Good Security Inc. with corporate matters in Ukraine.
Yuriy Kornaga; Bogdan Duchak; Denys Beregovyi
Compatel Ukraine LLC
Innovataion Park UnitCity
Data Intelligence Lab
ReFace AI (Neocortext Inc.)
- Handling corporate matters for Very Good Security Inc., which has developed a SaaS product that allows customers (primarily banks and financial companies) to use sensitive data without the risk of loss or liability for storage.
- Advising US-Ukrainian outsourcing company Startup Soft on the full scope of R&D services for US product IT companies.
- Assisting Compatel with legal support such as services agreements, agreements with other operators, negotiations with regulators, support in obtaining and updating licences and permits, legal opinion in the field of law regulation of telecommunications in Ukraine, corporate and labour law issues.
EUCON Legal Group
EUCON Legal Group continues to build up its presence in corporate work in both Ukraine and Poland. Yaroslav Romanchuk is the lead partner in Kiev, where the firm's work includes establishing new businesses, advising on regulatory compliance and corporate governance issues. It advises both domestic and international companies in key sectors such as energy, food, agriculture, telecommunications, metallurgy, logistics and IT.
UTEC Sp z o. o.
Wertiga Sp z o. o.
Agrocenter Poland Sp z o. o.
ALUMETA TRADING Sp z o. o.
UCC Poland Sp z o. o.
BRAZ TRADE Sp. z o.o
- Advised Lagako, LLC, founded by a foreign legal entity (resident of Belgium), owner of the authorized capital of LINEN OF DESNA, LLC (one of the largest enterprises in Ukraine in the field of cultivation and processing of flax and hemp), on the sale 100% of the corporate rights of LINEN OF DESNA, LLC to a legal entity, resident of Switzerland.
- Advised UTEC Sp z o. o. on the process of purchasing corporate rights of the Ukrainian company UTEC, LLC.
- Advising ALUMETA TRADING Sp z o. o. on corporate structuring of business by using the jurisdiction of Poland.
Gramatskiy&Partners has 'a highly professional and experienced team of lawyers who are very creative and passionate in providing high-class legal services'. The firm is praised for its work on share transfers, corporate governance, structuring and restructuring, and intra-group transactions. Ernest Gramatskiy advised PJSC KYIVPASSERVICE on the privatisation of one of the largest state-owned transport companies in Kiev. Yegor Ignatichev is another key partner.
Ernest Gramatskiy; Yegor Ignatichev
Other key lawyers:
‘Gramatskiy and Partners holds all our corporate matters and we are well satisfied. During the last year, we had several major transactions and all of them were handled great. Our lawyers are an essential element to our business growth.’
‘We, as a client, are looking not for something unique but rather for the best outcome for our business. We have been working with Gramatskiy and Partners for many years, and we are still satisfied with their expertise and their attitude to us.’
‘Mykola Voitovych is an attentive, highly experienced, client-oriented, careful and thoughtful lawyer, who is nice to deal with.’
‘Gramatskiy and Partners has a highly professional and experienced team of lawyers. They provide bespoke solutions for my business needs. They are very creative and passionate in providing high-class legal services.’
‘Ernest Gramatskiy is a brilliant lawyer with exceptional knowledge of law. His vast experience allows him to offer a creative solution of any legal matter.’
‘The team is very strong and brilliant. The lawyers have exceptional knowledge of the law and the market. They are highly qualified and have good experience in corporate and commercial affairs. I definitely highly recommend them.’
‘Ernest Gramatskiy leads the firm. He is a brilliant lawyer. He is well-known due to his high professionalism and academic background. He is very accurate in his performance and pays great attention to details. His approach to solving legal issues makes a difference.’
City Capital Group (Garden Bay Resort LLC)
MGT Black Sea LLC
PJSC “CUVCIF “REPUBLIC”
Global Space Management
Flattrail Investment Limited
LLC “CANETECH UA”
LLC “PRINCIPAL ELEKTRIK”
LLC “BLACK RHINO”
LLC “WHITE RHINO”
- Advising Flattrail Investments Limited on legal issues related to acquiring 100% of shares in LLC “Zhytlobudinvest” – one of the largest developer companies based in Kyiv.
- Advising PJSC KYIVPASSERVICE on the privatisation of one of the largest state-owned transport companies located in Kyiv. Deal value $10m.
- Assisted City Capital Group with concluding a $20m pledge contract with the AGT LLC and JSC Ukrgazbank.
ILF Law Firm
ILF Law Firm's team is 'fluent with agriculture, chemistry, IT and other smaller industries where big companies often lack focus'. In 2020, it handled a growing number of reorganisation projects for secondary medical care institutions. It counts 55 municipal hospitals among its clients, as well as 35 Ukrainian and foreign IT companies. Sergey Silchenko, Olena Khytrova and the 'supportive, open-minded and flexible' Arsen Buchkovskyi (who are all based in Kharkiv) are the lead partners.
Sergey Silchenko; Olena Khytrova; Arsen Buchkovskyi
‘Good knowledge of details of different markets and industry sectors. ILF is fluent with agro, chemistry, IT, and other smaller industries where big companies often lack focus.’
‘Sergey Silchenko has an academic background and is fluent in labour-related topics. Arsen Buchkovskiy has various tasks in different fields regarding commercial and corporate practices. He is supportive, open-minded, flexible and multitask-oriented person.’
‘ILF lawyers are highly professional with useful knowledge in different legal fields. They are interested in our strategy and business goals in order to find the best solutions.’
‘They have detailed knowledge of our business and perform great efforts on getting the best results particularly for our company are important characteristics.’
EGGER Romania S.R.L.
BASF Ukraine LLC
LLC “Newton Promservice”
American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee
Philip Morris International
- Assisted Scarb Soft with the launch of a new product – a system that includes dozens of modules that are distributed both through a web interface and by delivery to customers’ computers.
- Assisted YouTube channel Troom Troom (Unicorn Media) with conducting a series of agreements concerning the acquisition of smaller channels, and the conclusion of exclusive agreements with content makers.
KM Partners is best known for advice on tax issues but its commercial, corporate and M&A practice continues to build its presence with advice on due diligence, shareholder agreements, post-merger integration, and the registration and liquidation of corporate entities. Maxim Oleksiyuk is the lead partner and his practice covers M&A, real estate, competition law and natural resources.
- Legal audit of the company before acquisition.
- Legal consulting on amending company’s charter and other measures feasible due to entry into force of the new Law on Limited Liability Companies.
- Advising on issues regarding entrance of new participants in companies of the group.
Legal Alliance Company
Legal Alliance Company has acted for major multinational pharmaceutical companies with operations in Ukraine for 25 years. Its work includes the registration of local subsidiaries, restructuring and liquidation issues, and general commercial advice. Oleksii Bezhevets and Dmytro Aleshko are frequently involved in large cross-border transactions, as well as regulatory and commercial matters.
Oleksii Bezhevets; Dmytro Aleshko
Boris Medical Clinic
Jadran Galenski laboratorij d.d.
- Reconsidered the whole business compliance processes in Ukraine and elaborated the full set of internal regulations and business processes for a global pharmaceutical company in Ukraine.
- Advised a large state fund in the area of medical purchases on the elaboration of anti-corruption policies and procedures.
- Provided legal advice to the Government of Ukraine, the Ministry of Health and the Expert Committee on the selection and use of essential drugs to increase the transparency of the pharmaceutical system of Ukraine.
Legal House Group LLC garners praise from clients for its 'individual approach to the client's requirements, the ability to quickly navigate in non-standard situations, efficiency in performing tasks and a high level of competence'. Practice heads Ruslan Redka and Lana Golian, and junior partner Anatolii Kyselov, are the names to note. They have extensive experience of cross-border projects, including those governed by English law.
At 'responsive and client-oriented' firm NAVIGATOR, 'closing the deal is the priority for the partners'. Practice head Oleksandr Liulkov is recommended for his 'responsiveness and expertise with Ukrainian corporate law'. He assists foreign and domestic companies with M&A (including merger clearances) and day-to-day commercial matters, and he also advises start-up companies on joint venture agreements.
Oleksandr Peremezhko & Partners acts for domestic and international companies on corporate structuring and restructuring, as well as merger control matters. The firm recently advised Kooperative Mind LLC on the opening of a new modern co-working space in Kiev city centre. Lead partner Oleksandr Peremezhko has more than 20 years of experience in complex M&A deals.
Oleksandr Peremezhko; Yuriy Palshyn
Topex Ukraine LLC
Takeda Ukraine LLC
AstraZeneka Ukraine LLC
Chayka Studio LLC
Ukrainian Film Distribution LLC
SIA Artforms Production
Kooperativ Mind LLC
Bursatelier Development LLC
Sharp Electronics Ukraine LLC
Gino Cerruti UA LLC
ACTIVE CINEMA GROUP
ArtForms Production Ukraine
IPR Group, Patent and Trademark Attorneys Bureau
Consulting for Retail
Torhovyi Dim “REI”
Charitable Foundation “BURSAK”
Green Conculting, LLC
- Advised CINEMA DEVELOPMENT, LLC on opening a hi-tech cinema in Kyiv. The work included development of all framework legal documents necessary for opening and functioning of the cinema, inter alia, with regard to the production and setup of the exclusive equipment, development and transfer of the IT solutions aimed at implementation of the latest automation technologies.
- Acted as legal counsel to KOOPERATIV MIND LLC on opening a new modern co-working space in the Kyiv city centre.
Ostin Law Firm
Ostin Law Firm has a small team and is relatively new to the market, but it has rapidly become a key adviser to domestic businesses on M&A, corporate restructurings and shareholder agreements. Managing partner Yevgeniy Porada recently assisted HD-Group, which is a major producer of bakery products, on the corporate structuring of the group and its business in Ukraine and abroad.
Commercial Industrial Bank
Noble Capital Partners Limited
Ukrainian Agriculture Stock Exchange
Vaseda Medical Clinic
- Advised HD-Group, a major producer of bakery products in Ukraine, on corporate structuring of the group and its business in Ukraine and abroad.
- Advised Universal Bank JSC and its shareholder on increase of the bank’s share capital by $12m.
- Advised BBP BANDENIA PLC on the acquisition of Online Finance LLC, a leading financial company in Ukraine providing financing services in Ukraine.
Pavlenko Legal Group
Pavlenko Legal Group has a strong track record in domestic M&A transactions, as well as the structuring of new businesses. Denis Maistrenko and Anna Hryshchenko are noted for their expertise in corporate and competition law respectively. They recently advised TAS Group on the acquisition of corporate rights of pharmacy chain owner Kosmo Pharmacies.
Denis Maistrenko; Anna Hryshchenko
Small private enterprise Firm «Eridon»
- Advised PAEK Group of companies on planned restructuring of the group. Analysis of the current structure of the group, support of the process of division and obtaining AMCU’s permits to concentration at AMCU (15 permits).
- Advised PAEK Group on the corporate rights acquisition of Buzhsky elevator LLC owning the elevator in the Mykolaiv region.
- Acted for TAS Group on the acquisition of corporate rights of FOREIGN ENTERPRISE KOSMO PHARMACIES, the owner of the pharmacy chain in Ukraine.