ADMD/Mavioglu & Alkan Law Office's dedicated team combines tax advisory and auditing services with representation in contentious proceedings, such as VAT inquiries, alongside transactional support to corporate clients engaged in joint ventures and cross-border acquisitions. Clients include major businesses in the logistics, automotive, and telecommunications sectors. The team is led by Duygu Alkan, a specialist tax litigator who represents clients in complex disputes. Orhan Yavuz Mavioğlu provides tax planning and transactional advice to corporate and financial services clients. Sevgi Durmus focuses on tax controversy and international issues such as double taxation treaties.
Firms in the Spotlight Tax
Tax in Turkey
Other key lawyers:
Orhan Yavuz Mavioglu; Sevgi Durmus
Telecom Italia Sparkle
- Advised Form Group on tax elements of its joint venture with Mitsubishi.
- Represented Mitsui Bussan in a complex VAT based tax inquiry relating to over-the-counter cash-settled derivatives for oil.
- Advised IFS on its tax amnesty submissions and also advised on structuring the finances and taxation of inter-group transactions among the company.
Erdal Ekinci leads the team at Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International, which houses a number of experts with extensive past experience at tax consultancies. Ekinci is a specialist tax counsel, and focuses on large-scale tax investigations, litigation, and support with the tax elements of major transactions. Güneş Helvacı is highly praised by clients for her tax advisory work, including transfer pricing and cross-border tax treaty matters. Clients include multinational tech businesses, financial services providers, and banks.
Other key lawyers:
- Provided tax advisory services to Peak in its $1.8bn acquisition by Zynga.
GSG Attorneys at Law/GSG Hukuk is a specialist tax firm, whose experts have extensive past experience with Turkish tax authorities and Big Four auditors. Affiliated with PricewaterhouseCoopers, the firm advises and represents major international clients across multiple industries, including defence, financial services, automotive, technology, and digital services, handling Turkish tax investigations, negotiations with tax authorities, and litigation. The team is led by highly experienced tax practitioner Zeki Gündüz, a hugely respected figure within the sector, alongside Ezgi Turkmen, who has a notable specialism in the digital economy space and corporate tax disputes.
Zeki Gündüz; Ezgi Turkmen
‘Analytical thinking, fast and true judgement.’
‘Key strengths are: customer-focused approach; technical know-how; broad customer and case experience.’
‘A strong, pragmatic tax team.’
‘Ezgi Turkmen is solution oriented.’
‘Zeki Gunduz is a strong trusted advisor.’
‘We would recommend GSG to any client in need of tax advisory services. We are always impressed with their technical abilities and level of professionalism. They are committed to delivering exceptional work and keeping a good working relationship with all parties.’
‘We work with GSG for tax litigation cases, They are a most capable team in the tax litigation area. They know the theory, practice and business needs and are very strong in their written and verbal representation of our company.’
NAZALI Attorney Partnership offers a team of tax experts, with past experience both within the Turkish tax authorities and at Big Four consultancy firms. The firm advises a combination of domestic corporates and major international brands, including Samsung and LG, on the full tax process, encompassing investigations through to litigation before the courts. The firm employs tax litigators and advisors, as well as tax consultants. Key team members include Ersin Nazalı, a former tax inspector, litigator Begüm Solak Ekler, Mükerrem Yanar, and Gözde Saruhan Berk.
Ersin Nazalı; Mükerrem Yanar; Begüm Solak Ekler; Gözde Saruhan Berk
‘The team works very hard and rigorously. It finds tailor-made solutions for different aspects of our complicated business transactions in tight deadlines. We have a strong trust relationship which differentiates them from others since they have a solid and vast experience beyond their advisory services.’
‘ Ersin Nazalı is sincere and has profound knowledge from his former practice as a top tax inspector as well as expertise in the law. ’
Abeinsa Infraestructuras Medio Ambiente
Asaş Otomotiv .
Atradius Credit Insurance
- Advising Hotelrunner on tax planning and cross-border tax restructuring of the group.
- Advised LG on tax due diligence and supervised their transfer pricing structure, alongside representing them in tax litigation.
- Represented Samsung C&T during a tax inspection and before the tax courts in tax litigation proceedings.
Pekin & Pekin's tax team works closely with the firm's corporate and banking teams on a variety of complex tax issues relating to transactions, business structuring and operations, and VAT. The practice, led by Firat Yalçin, an expert in advisory and contentious tax law, is notable for its expertise in international tax matters, in particular transfer pricing and taxation treaties, allowing it to advise clients on complex cross-border matters. Clients include international organisations across financial services, food, retail, and several law firms.
- Advised Eramine on equipment production in Turkey, free zones in Turkey, bonded warehouse in Turkey and keeping the equipment in Turkey.
- Advised De Rigo Vision on tax elements of the bankruptcy of a subsidiary.
- Advised OGL Food Trade on Turkish VAT considerations relating to its food transportation business.
Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership
Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership advises and supports clients on tax elements of corporate and capital markets transactions, investments, and banking issues, with a particular strength in cross-border work thanks to its partnership with French law firm Gide Loyrette Nouel. Major clients include Société Générale and BNP Paribas, with matters including cross-border tax treaty advice, customs and VAT issues, and tax elements of establishing business subsidiaries in Turkey. The team is led by tax and corporate lawyer Bülent Özdirekcan, supported by associates Mert Müstecaplıoğlu and Mert Karakaşlar.
Bulent Ozdirekcan; Mert Müstecaplıoğlu; Mert Karakaşlar
Akgıda (Lactalis Group)
Cuatrecasas Law Firm
H & M
JKX Oil & Gas
Levi Strauss Co
Loyens & Loeff
Maisto E Associeti
- Advising Société Générale Milano on the tax regime of its financing of the acquisition of a Boeing-777 by Turkish Airlines.
- Advising Société Générale with regard to the legal feasibility and taxation of the cross-border financial leasing of a high-tech product.
- Advised Getinsa Ingenieria on a JV established through its affiliate in Turkey, including the possibility of collecting a refund of Withholding Tax from Turkish tax authorities.
Bezen & Partners offers a dedicated tax team, advising corporate clients on the tax elements of transactions, investments and projects, alongside dedicated tax advisory, customs, and litigation experience. In line with the firm's wider capabilities, clients include domestic and international businesses across a range of industries, notably retail, food and beverages, and financial services. The practice is headed by corporate partner Serdar Bezen, who advises clients on transactional tax issues, alongside specialist tax counsel Dr Ege Göktuna, who offers great expertise in issues such as VAT, customs duties, and tax treaties.
Serdar Bezen; Dr Ege Göktuna
- Advising CZ Holding Anonim Şirketi on its corporate structuring and related tax matters.
- Advising Hitachi Zosen Inova on its subcontractor agreements and the restructuring of the contractual framework in relation to a waste to energy project tendered by the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality, including any tax related matters arising from the contractual relationship.
- Advising and assisting Akkuyu NGS Elektrikon on all legal matters relating to the implementation of the Akkuyu nuclear power plant project, including the tax elements.
Hergüner Bilgen Özeke handles a wide variety of tax advisory matters for corporate and banking clients. It offers transactional tax advice, customs and VAT advice, tax audits and investigations and tax litigation, as well as taking on a growing number of cases relating to Turkey's property taxation laws. The team is overseen by Ayşe Hergüner Bilgen, who represents clients in tax and transfer pricing litigation, while counsel Emre Urgin has extensive past expertise, having worked in the public and private sectors as a tax auditor.
Ayşe Hergüner Bilgen
Other key lawyers:
LM Wind Power Blades Turkey
- Representing LM Wind in a suit against the Tax Office for VAT claims.
Paksoy advises corporate clients on a wide variety of Turkish tax issues, encompassing income and corporate taxation, VAT, advice on cross-border M&A and capital markets transactions, and industry-specific project taxation matters. The practice works with the firm's corporate client base, which includes multinational businesses in the retail, financial services, and energy sectors, as well as investment funds and international law firms. Counsel Şansal Erbacıoğlu leads the team, and is a specialist tax lawyer with experience at a Big Four consulting firm, focusing on tax structuring. Senior associate Onur Çeliker joined the firm from Pekin & Pekin in 2020, bolstering the team.
‘Sansal was very helpful and responsive, providing considered advice on complicated Turkish tax and fiscal issues, whilst being very accommodating to the client’s particular concerns and the transaction structure.’
Medicana Health Group
Samsun Yurt Savunma
- Advising Deutsche Beteiligungs on taxation matters in relation to the acquisition of a majority stake in Cartonplast Group.
- Advising Imerys on local taxation matters in relation to the acquisition of a majority stake in the Haznedar Group.
- Advising Getir on tax elements of its $38m funding round.