Foreign firms in Turkey
White & Case Europe Danışmanlık Hizmetleri Avukatlık Ortaklığı is affiliated with GKC Partners (in professional association with White & Case). It is notably strong in cross-border M&A, banking and finance, disputes, capital markets and competition matters. In a recent highlight, the team acted for the British United Provident Association, an insurance provider, on the acquisition of Acıbadem Sigorta in a $175m deal. Other clients include Goldman Sachs, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the International Finance Corporation. Asli Basgoz and Sebastian Buss jointly head the ‘truly global’ practice.
Asli Basgoz; Sebastian Buss
‘I couldn’t ask for a more supportive and collaborative team’
British United Provident Association (BUPA)
Yapı Kredi Bankası
EBRD and Türkiye Iş Bankası A.Ş.
Greenbrier Companies, Inc.
- Assisted Eaton Capital Unlimited Company, a subsidiary of Eaton Corporation, with the acquisition of a majority shareholding in Ulusoy Elektrik İmalat Taahhüt ve Ticaret A.Ş., a publicly listed company manufacturing medium voltage electrical equipment.
- Advised Bupa International Markets Limited, a global insurance provider, on the acquisition of Acıbadem Sigorta shares from Bureau Ventures SDN BHD (owned by Khazanah, Malaysia’s sovereign wealth fund).
- Acted for Yapı Kredi Bankası, a Turkish private bank, on the establishment of the global medium-term note programme worth $1.25bn.
Baker McKenzie is in an alliance with Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International. Key areas include infrastructure development, cross-border M&A, private equity and real estate. The firm also has expertise in tax, compliance, employment and competition law. İsmail Esin, Eren Kurşun and tax expert Erdal Ekinci lead the team. In recent highlights, the practice acted for Brookfield on its proposed acquisition of JCI’s power solutions business and advised Modanisa, an online Islamic fashion retailer, on the sale of a minority stake to Goldman Sachs and EBRD.
Brookfield Capital Partners LLC
Yaşar Holding A.Ş.
Türk Telekomünikasyon A.Ş.
Modanisa Elektronik Mağazacılık ve Tic. A.Ş
- Acted for Brookfield Capital Management, a subsidiary of Brookfield Assets Management, on its proposed acquisition of Johnson Controls International PLC’s power solutions business.
- Advised BNP Paribas on a €50m three-year term sustainability-linked loan facility provided to Turkcell, a mobile phone operator.
- Advised Türk Telekomünikasyon A.Ş. on its corporate bond issuance of $500m senior unsecured notes.
Clifford Chance is affiliated with Yegin Ciftci Attorney Partnership. Its project financing practice is a core strength and the firm acts for clients in the oil and gas, mining and metals, thermal power, renewables, infrastructure and healthcare sectors. Highlights included advising Turkey’s sovereign wealth fund, as the borrower, on a €1bn syndicated loan. Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank and BNP Paribas are other clients. Jared Grubb leads the team.
‘Constructive and positive communication between lenders and borrower.’
‘Global knowledge on the various ECAs and international project financings, combined with its longstanding and deep knowledge on the Turkish PF (especially Energy and Infrastructure) market.’
EIB (European Investment Bank)
- Advised the lenders on the financing of the Kınalı-Odayeri and Kurtköy-Akyazı sections of the Northern Marmara Motorway.
- Advised EBRD, İş Bankası and TSKB on an acquisition financing extended to Turkuaz Petrol.
- Assisted EBRD and four Turkish banks with a green loan to Akfen Holding for its 242MW wind farm investment for the construction of four new wind farms.
Dentons is affiliated with Balcıoğlu Selçuk Ardıyok Keki. The ‘experienced, responsive and pragmatic’ team handles project and acquisition finance, corporate lending, restructuring of debt products and structured finance and derivative products, and has a strong offering in the energy and infrastructure sectors and for Turkish firms expanding internationally. Clients include Statkraft Enerji, the Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, and the Islamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector. The practice is led by Tamsyn Mileham, who is ‘an expert in project finance’, Ian McGrath and Nadia Cansun, who focuses on cross-border transactions.
Tamsyn Mileham; Ian McGrath; Nadia Cansun
‘Efficient, time sensitive and always available.’
- Advised DTEK Renewables, a Ukrainian energy group, on a Sinosure-financed solar project with CMEC, and on a 240MW Pokrovskaya solar project and 100MW Primorskaya wind project (with GE).
- Assisted Vinci, a concessions and construction company, with the 25-year PPP concession on Belgrade’s Nikola Tesla Airport, covering the airport’s financing, operation, maintenance, extension and upgrade.
- Advised Yıldırım Holding on the construction of the gas-fired Surkhandarya independent power plant in Uzbekistan.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP is affiliated with Gedik Eraksoy Avukatlik Ortakligi, and has a particular focuses on project financing, banking, general lending work and restructurings. Hakkı Gedik, Joe Clinton and Umut Gurgey head the practice. Highlights included acting as lead counsel on a restructuring of the credit facilities and hedging arrangements of Ojer Telekomünikasyon A.Ş.
Hakkı Gedik; Joe Clinton; Umut Gurgey
Standard Chartered Bank
Trans Adriatic Pipeline
Hanwha Q Cells
BAML / Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Advised on the debt financing of the Trans Adriatic Pipeline project.
- Assisted EBRD, BSTDB, TSKB and Isbank with financing the expansion of the Efeler geothermal power plant.
- Acted for Derindere, a fleet-leasing company, as the borrower, on a $50m mezzanine loan transaction.
Gide Loyrette Nouel is in an association with Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership. It handles matters in the M&A, capital markets, banking and finance, intellectual property, competition, tax, insurance and employment areas. The practice is headed by partners from the affiliated firm: Bülent Özdirekcan; Arpat Senocak; Ali Osman Ak; and Esra Dündar Loiseau. In a recent highlight, the team acted as transaction counsel to Gestamp North Europe Services S.L., a manufacturer of automotive components, on establishing a joint venture in Bulgaria to manufacture automotive components.
Bulent Ozdirekcan; Arpat Şenocak; Ali Osman Ak; Esra Dündar Loiseau
- Advised TEB Portföy, a Turkish asset management company, on the acquisition of ING Portföy, a subsidiary of ING Bank, which focuses on asset management for pension funds.
- Assisted Ak Gıda, a dairy company, with its acquisition of the assets of Gürsüt and Progıda, two Turkish dairy products production facilities.
- Advised KYU Investment Inc on its takeover of a controlling stake in Atolye Bomonti, a creative services company and design studio.
Norton Rose Fulbright is in association with İnal Kama Attorney Partnership. Areas of strength include cross-border M&A, private equity investments, joint ventures, strategic alliances and financing transactions. Ayşe Yüksel Mahfoud, who has extensive experience in corporate transactions, heads the team.
Ayşe Yüksel Mahfoud
Cronus Chemicals LLC
Good Job Games
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Albaraka Türk Katılım Bankası A.Ş
Yapı ve Kredi Bankası A.Ş. (Yapı Kredi)
- Advised Netherlands Development Finance Company on the financing of the development, construction and operation of a portfolio of unlicensed solar power plants in Turkey.
- Assisted Cronus Chemicals, LLC (a company controlled by Turkish shareholders) with its proposed development of a large fertiliser project in the US.
- Advised the Asian Development Bank on financing the Southern Corridor Gas project, which involves three separate gas pipelines across Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, Greece and Italy.