Baker McKenzie LLP‘s presence in Turkey, through its local affiliate firm Esin Attorney Partnership, a Member of Baker McKenzie International, is strong across a range of practice areas; the firm is a regular fixture in major capital markets deals, key financing transactions, disputes in various sectors, and in assisting international companies with compliance in tax and competition law. Its major clients include international investment groups and infrastructure project development has been an area of recent growth for the firm, reflecting the wider Turkish market. Litigators İsmail Esin and Yalın Akmenek are among the standout figures, along with M&A and private equity leader Eren Kurşun, tax specialist Erdal Ekinci, and banking and finance practice head Muhsin Keskin.
Foreign firms in Turkey
Baker McKenzie LLP
İsmail Esin; Eren Kurşun; Erdal Ekinci; Yalın Akmenek; Muhsin Keskin
Turkish Military Pension Fund (OYAK)
Franklin Templeton Investment Management
Walgreens Boots Alliance
Cargill Tarım ve Gıda
Index Ventures X (Jersey)
Kraft Heinz Company
- Advised Index Ventures on its $155m series A and B investments into Dream Games, valuing the business at $1bn.
- Assisted Walgreens Boots Alliance with the carve out and disposal of its pharmaceutical wholesale business, Alliance Healthcare, to AmerisourceBergen Corporation for approximately $6.5bn.
- Advised Akbank on the issuance of its ESG-linked $500m fixed resettable sustainability tier 2 notes due 2031.
GKC Partners (in professional association with White & Case)
White & Case LLP is one of the most established foreign firms in Turkey through its subsidiary GKC Partners (in professional association with White & Case), with heavyweight offerings in corporate and finance law. Its client roster is particularly impressive in the banking and investment spaces, and tech sector M&A has also been a recent area of note for the firm. English-qualified partner Sebastian Buss is a key name in the financing sphere; he has deep experience in transactions across energy and infrastructure and has advised on key healthcare PPP projects.
Türkiye Sınai Kalkınma Bankası
Türkiye İş Bankası
ICBC Turkey Yatırım Menkul Değerler
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
China Construction Bank
Türkiye Vakıflar Bankası.
T.C. Zirrat Bankası
Halk Banka Skopje
Yapı Kredi Bank Nederland
Demir-Halk Bank (Nederland)
Ülker Bisküvi Sanayi
Zorlu Yenilenebilir Enerji (Zorlu Renewables)
Türkiye Garanti Bankası
- Advised Borusan Holding on its borrowing of a dual-tranche $155m and €87m syndicated loan from an international and domestic consortium of 11 banks.
- Advised the group of lenders on the restructuring of the existing debt of İdo İstanbul Deniz Otobüsleri.
- Advised Hepsiburada.com on its $780m IPO (including a greenshoe option) on Nasdaq.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP‘s noted strength in banking and finance matters is brought to bear in its Turkish practice, with three English-qualified lawyers based in Istanbul working alongside local affiliate firm Gedik & Eraksoy to assist international banks and financial institutions with innovative ESG-backed loans, high-value project financing transactions and complex restructurings. Adam Fadian leads the English law team and has extensive expertise in restructuring. He is supported in Istanbul by senior associate Sarah Yeowart and associate Sean Tobin, who joined the firm from William Fry in Dublin in May 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Sarah Yeowart; Sean Tobin
Standard Chartered Bank
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
MUFG Securities EMEA
Yapi ve Kredi Bankasi
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
The International Finance Corporation (IFC)
VTB Bank (PJSC)
ICBC Turkey Yatırım Menkul Değerler
Credit Europe Bank
Trans Adriatic Pipeline
Turkiye Is Bankasi
JP Morgan Securities
- Advised Bank of America and Standard Chartered Bank, as arrangers and sustainability coordinators, in connection with an ESG-linked syndicated dual-tranche and dual-currency loan facility for Turkish financial services company Garanti BBVA.
- Advised Yapi Kredi, as the borrower, on a dual-currency ($351m and €501.15m) facility from a syndicate of 43 international banks.
- Advising Dubai-listed contracting and engineering business Drake & Scull International on its $1.4bn debt restructuring.
Dentons‘ Istanbul team works in conjunction with affiliated domestic firm Balcioglu Selçuk Ardiyok Keki to assist with cross-border transactions in and out of Turkey. Energy and infrastructure projects are a major area of focus and the firm’s clients in this space range from conventional and renewable power companies to project developers, foreign investors, financial institutions and construction companies. The team also has wider experience acting for investors into Turkey and recently has been particularly active in sustainable financing matters. Tamsyn Mileham handles banking and finance matters, while Ian McGrath heads the firm’s Europe transportation and infrastructure group. Nadia Cansun is a key contact for cross-border M&A and other corporate law matters.
Tamsyn Mileham; Ian McGrath; Nadia Cansun
‘The team is an English law team led out of Istanbul by English lawyers. This is unique in the market in that the firm offers quality English law advice from people who live and work in the relevant jurisdiction and have done so for the majority of their careers. There is a cultural fit and understanding which goes hand in hand with the ability to deliver quality advice.’
‘I have worked personally with Nadia Cansun for many years. She understands the way in which I do business and what I need from counsel. She is available, responsive and commercially minded. She has exceptional experience of running transactions and, having been in house, understands what is required from the inside. She just gets it. She has the ability and experience that comes with living and working in different jurisdictions and an agile approach to getting things done. She is quick to establish a rapport with other professionals so that things move smoothly – she has the can-do attitude that you need in a transactional lawyer.’
‘We were provided with solution-oriented, timely and effective advice. One of the firm’s key capabilities is that they understand the commercial concerns behind the client’s request and analyse the case while keeping these concerns in mind, providing alternative scenarios.’
‘Ian McGrath took a comprehensive approach to the case and advised us on specific actions and steps to be taken in order to mitigate risk. As a partner, he is reachable, responsible and on top of the matter at all times.’
İçtaş Sürdürülebilir Enerji Yatırımları
Green for Growth Fund
- Advising Turkish energy company Karadeniz Holding on its Powership project, a fleet of floating power plants.
- Advising Aksa Energy on three major power projects in Uzbekistan.
- Assisting the EBRD with its arrangement of green loan facilities of €650m to finance next generation all-electric commercial vehicles.
Özdirekcan Dündar Şenocak Ak
Özdirekcan Dündar Şenocak Ak has grown its client base both domestically and for foreign inbound transactions in Turkey, with particular strengths in intellectual property, competition and insurance matters. Bülent Özdirekcan and Arpat Şenocak, who are qualified in France and Switzerland, respectively, lead the cross-border practice and are partners of Gide’s affiliated local firm Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership. Further key contacts include employment law expert Ali Osman Ak and IP practice head Esra Dündar Loiseau.
Bülent Özdirekcan; Arpat Şenocak; Ali Osman Ak; Esra Dündar Loiseau
‘Reliable and business oriented.’
‘Arpat Şenocak has a get-things-done spirit and is very involved in the project. In addition, he is perfectly fluent in English and French which is a true asset.’
Agence Française de Développement
Akdeniz Turistik Tesisler
ALD Automotive Turkey
AXA Hayat ve Emeklilik
BNP Paribas Cardif Hayat Sigorta
BNP Paribas Cardif Sigorta
BNP Paribas Cardif Emeklilik
BPF Acentelik ve Aracilik Hizmetleri
Ca Technologies Yazılım ve Bilişim Hizmetleri
Cepas Galvaniz Demir Celik Madencilik Insaat Nakliye
Crédit Agricole Ukraine
Eker Süt Ürünleri Gıda
Electronics for Imaging (EFI)
Euler Hermes Sigorta
Euler Hermes (Italy)
GCL Factoring France
Gestamp North Europe Services
Groupama Assurances Mutuelles
Helvetia Swiss Insurance Company
H & M
Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group
KYU (Hakuhodo DY Holding)
Lancome Parfums Beaute & CIE
Levi Strauss Co
Loyens & Loeff
Maisto E Associeti
MDS AP Tech Yazılım Ürünleri ve Bilişim Hizmetleri
NN Hayat ve Emeklilik
Orange Sigorta Aracılık Hizmetleri
Reinsurance Group of America
Skandinavska Enskilda Banken
Société Générale Milano
Şen-Er Boya Kimya
Superdry- DKH Retail
Taiyuan Iron & Steel (Group) Company
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Union Bancaire Privée
Volvo Group Otomotiv
- Assisted Veolia and Suez with all legal matters in Turkey arising from their worldwide merger.
- Advised Allianz on regulatory and transactional matters under Turkish insurance and capital markets regulations.
- Assisting L’Oreal, Beaute Prestige International, Dior, Chanel, Bulgari and Montale with protection against counterfeited products.
Norton Rose Fulbright
Norton Rose Fulbright‘s network of international desks coordinates with its local Turkish subsidiary İnal Kama Attorney Partnership to provide cross-border services in corporate, banking and dispute resolution. Clients include major multinationals as well as leading Turkish companies in a variety of sectors, with energy, infrastructure and chemicals being particular areas of focus. Ayşe Yüksel Mahfoud, the firm’s global head of corporate, M&A and securities, is the contact to note in Istanbul, splitting her time between Turkey and the US.
Ayşe Yüksel Mahfoud
Other key lawyers:
‘Utku Ünver is an exceptional lawyer. Always reachable and ready to assist. Profound knowledge and experience in project finance in the energy sector.’
‘They are very punctual and meet tight schedules. The firm has experienced teams in a wide range of areas. Their expertise also covers the recent technological trends in the legal market.’
‘You can reach them 24/7. They are all very competent in their areas of expertise.’
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. (FMO)
I-Pulse Oil & Gas
DowAksa Ileri Kompozit Malzemeler
TPAY Mobile FZ
- Advising Arçelik on its €78.3m acquisition of Whirlpool Beyaz Eşya, Whirlpool’s wholly owned subsidiary in Turkey.
- Assisting TPAY Mobile FZ with its acquisition of 100% of the shares of Turkish fintech company Trend Ödeme Kuruluşu.
- Advising DowAksa İleri Kompozit Malzemeler on a $100m sustainability-linked loan facility and related security agreements executed with Türkiye İş Bankası, Türkiye Sınai Kalkınma Bankası and QNB Finansbank.
YBK Law Firm in Cooperation with CMS
CMS has a significant presence in finance and corporate matters in Turkey through its association with YBK Law Firm in Cooperation with CMS, advising international investment groups, banks and multinational companies on inbound and outbound transactions. The team includes practitioners qualified in the UK, Austria and Germany and is experienced in cross-border work, utilising its international network. Döne Yalcin, who is admitted in Turkey and Austria, co-leads the team with fellow managing partner Alican Babalıoğlu. Hülya Kemahlı and Alaz Eker Ündar are key contacts for capital markets and banking and finance matters, respectively.
Döne Yalçin; Alican Babalıoğlu
Other key lawyers:
Hülya Kemahlı; Alaz Eker Ündar
Çelepçi in cooperation with Schoenherr
Çelepçi in cooperation with Schoenherr acts for international companies with operations in Turkey, as well as assisting domestic clients with outbound transactions. Multinational clients, including Canon and Luxottica, look to managing partner Levent Çelepçi and Murat Kutluğ, who was appointed partner in 2021, for day-to-day corporate matters and M&A, and the team is also well versed in advising on the incorporation of Turkish subsidiaries.
Other key lawyers:
Murat Kutluğ; Begüm Koçak
‘The team at Çelepçi in cooperation with Schonherr has excellent expertise in advising foreign investors in Turkey. We can always rely on their professional, timely, helpful and knowledgeable advice.’
‘We usually work with Murat Kutluğ. We are impressed by the professional level of his service and his dedication to his clients. He is always most helpful and it is extremely easy to work with him and feel confident in your decisions.’
Scholz Management Service
Angst & Pfister Holding
Société Générale International
MT Group Companies-Maxicells İlaç
Unicredit Bank Austria
- Advising Canon on all its legal matters in Turkey, including corporate, employment, compliance and dispute resolution issues.
- Assisting eyewear multinational Luxottica with all corporate matters in Turkey.
- Assisting Getinge Group with all legal matters in Turkey.