Baker McKenzie LLP is noted for its 'pragmatic' approach in its handling of both contentious and non-contentious employment law issues. Clients include airlines, automotive companies and banks. Suriyong Tungsuwan leads the team; his extensive practice spans labour relations, advice on executive compensation, employee benefits, and the employment aspects of corporate restructurings. He is supported by associate Nam-Ake Lekfuangfu whose expertise includes both employment and immigration matters. Chaiporn Supvoranid and Pisut Attakamol are recognised as highly experienced litigators who are both active on employment disputes as well as providing advice to clients on the necessary measures taken following the outbreak of COVID-19 and how this has affected employers and employees.
Labour and employment in Thailand
Baker McKenzie LLP
‘Very pragmatic, with a good understanding and knowledge of manufacturing industries.’
‘BM has a client-focused approach. They stay with what we need and provide practical solutions to achieve our goals.’
Standard Chartered Bank
Mitsubishi Electric Asia (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
Isuzu Motors Company (Thailand) Limited
- Assisted the client with the restructuring of the workforce in Thailand, including the planning on the timeline of restructuring and the analysis of the package, as well as legal analysis and management of exposure under Thai labour law.
- Acted as general counsel to the client in the process of labour demands submitted by employees, including strike action and lock-outs.
- Advised the client on various options in hiring and using contingent workers, including if these workers will be considered as the client’s employees and options to mitigate risks based on the existing legal framework, as well as strategies and guardrails for the client to put in place to minimise risks and protect the business.
Tilleke & Gibbins advises employers on labour management relations, staff restructuring and other staff retention issues. On the non-contentious side co-lead Pimvimol Vipamaneerut aids clients with labour expansion, immigration matters and labour protection. The contentious work is handled by co-lead Chusert Supasitthumrong who works on risk management and employment litigation and has extensive experience of of court actions including in the Supreme Court. The firm is present in the retail, aviation, logistics, electronics sectors.
Amec Foster Wheeler
Syngenta Asia Pacific
United Overseas Bank
Walt Disney (Thailand)
- Secured the first Supreme Court decision in Thailand ruling that employers are allowed to hire outsourced employees in the event of a union strike or lockdown..
- Advised many of the world’s largest companies on navigating Thai labor laws to mitigate the economic impact of the COVID-19 crisis.
- Successfully represented Molnlycke Healthcare in test cases that closed the door on potential actions by up to 3,100 employees..
R & T Asia (Thailand) Limited is active on the contentious and non-contentious side of Thai employment law matters. This includes litigation in the Thai courts and advice on employment contracts and conducting reviews of HR policies on the non-contentious side. Sui Lin Teoh heads up the practice. She advises Thai subsidiaries of international companies on the reorganisation or termination of employment of their senior executives. Supawat Srirungruang advises clients on labour disputes and represents companies in their negotiations with employees.
Other key lawyers:
Siam Premier International Law Office Limited's 'advice on labour dispute settlement is clear and practical.' The firm acts for Thai and foreign clients on the full remit of contentious and non-contentious labour and employment matters. Rawat Chomsri's clients include multinational corporations and domestic companies for whom he acts on contentious and non-contentious matters. He also advises on industrial relations. Sumit Masrungson is sought out for his expertise and experience of employment law disputes.
‘Advice given on labour dispute settlement is quite clear and practical.’
- Advised a Malaysian listed company in the oil and gas industry, on the termination of its employees due to a business restructure and general employment matters.
- Providing labour and employment law advice to international oil and gas company, on various assignments including in connection to amendments to sub-contract employment in Thailand; and advising in connection with the termination of employment in Thailand.
Watson Farley & Williams (Thailand) Limited provides employment law advice, particularly in the natural resources, energy and transport sectors; both contentious and non-contentious cases. Ratthakarn Boonnua co-leads the team and his experience lies in representation of employers and employees on employment disputes, notably in the maritime and insurance sectors. Alan Polivnick's clients include multinational corporations and Thai companies on a range of employment law issues, including those arising out of the impact of COVID-19.
DLA Piper possesses a 'strong team with good technical knowledge' which works on the labour aspects of corporate transactions, acts on regulatory investigation and immigration issues. Managing partner Peter Shelford acts for multinational clients on employment disputes. His area of focus is advising insurance clients on employment matters. Komson Suntheeraporn handles the non-contentious and disputes sides of employment which includes acting in labour court proceedings as well as labour and employment advisory work. Dusadee Jittasaiyapan advises clients on employee transfer matters as well as employee terminations, including at management level.
‘Komson Suntheeraporn has developed a great reputation for his ability to handle large scale employment disputes and high value executive claims. Known him as a trial lawyer before he specialised in employment over the past few years. Use his trials to great effect in the labour courts. Good strategist and focuses on client objectives.’
‘The team has the ability to handle both employment regulatory and litigation matters. Strong team with good technical knowledge.’
ZICO Law represents clients in the technology, big data, power and energy sectors on matters relating to HR policy reviews, employee transfers and non-disclosure agreement issues. Threenuch Bunruangthaworn advises clients, both Thai and international, on setting up their business operations and on labour and employment compliance. Archaree Suppakrucha undertakes work on employee termination and early retirement matters.
Paker Hannifin (Thailand) Co
En World Thailand
- Advising a global leadership agency regarding its employment plan towards the COVID 19 outbreak.
- Advising a Singaporean trading company with advice and on strategy for employment termination of senior management of the company.
- Advising an IT services and solutions company on the compliance of revised changes for sales incentive compensation plan concerning employment and termination of employment under Thai laws.