The team at Baker McKenzie LLP leverages the firm’s regional and global presence to act for clients, including airlines, automotive and technology companies, on a broad range of multijurisdictional contentious and non-contentious employment matters. Practice leader Suriyong Tungsuwan has experience in the employment-related aspects of corporate restructurings, as well as executive compensation, employee benefits and labour relations. Nam-Ake Lekfuangfu advises clients on employment and immigration matters, as well as employment trends such as global mobility, the use of the modern workforce and gender pay gap. Litigators Chaiporn Supvoranid and Pisut Attakamol are noted for their experience in labour and employment disputes, while associate Theeranit Pongpanarat assists clients in discrimination and harassment investigations.
Labour and employment in Thailand
Baker McKenzie LLP
‘Strong domain knowledge and advising to business requirements is their strength. Very effective in crisis management.‘
‘Communication and understanding of business, with strong expertise in the area of law they are practicing.‘
Thai Airways International
Standard Chartered Bank
Isuzu Motors Company (Thailand) Limited
- Assisted a domestic airline with workforce restructuring in connection with its debt rehabilitation plan in all employment aspects, including redesigning and substantial workforce reduction through various mechanisms.
- Assisted a multinational consumer goods companies with the restructuring of the regional business entities, including providing the analysis on the impact to the employees as a result of the dissolution of the employing entity, and the aspect of transfer of employment under the Thai labour laws.
- Advised a multinational internet technology company headquartered in Beijing, on wide-ranging employment issues, including diversity, background check, workforce misclassification and global benefit awards.
Tilleke & Gibbins
Tilleke & Gibbins acts for domestic and multinational employers on a broad range of non-contentious matters, and it frequently leverages the expertise of the firm’s dispute resolution and litigation team to handle contentious labour and employment matters, such as the enforcement of restrictive covenants related to competition and trade secrets, and terminations of employment claims. Chusert Supasitthumrong heads up the contentious side of the practice and represents employers in disputes, from labour strikes to layoffs and contested for-cause terminations. Pimvimol (June) Vipamaneerut leads the non-contentious employment practice and focuses on labour protection, termination of employment and labour unions.
Amec Foster Wheeler
Syngenta Asia Pacific
United Overseas Bank
Walt Disney (Thailand)
- Assisted the Thai subsidiary of a multinational hotel group in the reduction of staff at its luxury resort in Phuket in response to the loss of business caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Assisted a French-based multinational corporation and owner of several world-renowned luxury fashion brands with labor and employment issues relating to the Thai government’s decision to impose a partial lockdown in Bangkok to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Advised a Chinese multinational technology and e-commerce company on a number of critical employment law issues in Thailand.
R & T Asia (Thailand) Limited handles both contentious and non-contentious employment matters, including litigation in the Thai courts, particularly regarding terminations of employment, as well as advising on employment contracts and conducting reviews of HR policies on the non-contentious side. Led by Saroj Jongsaritwang and Piroon Saengpakdee, the practice also includes key contact Sui Lin Teoh, who advises Thai subsidiaries of international companies on the termination of employment of senior executives and on reorganisations.
Other key lawyers:
Siam Premier International Law Office Limited advises Thai and foreign clients on a broad range of contentious and non-contentious labour and employment matters, including termination of employment, labour disputes and employment issues relating to company reorganisation. The ‘knowledgeable’ team is co-led by Rawat Chomsri, who acts for domestic and multinational clients on industrial relations matters, as well as a mix of contentious and non-contentious employment matters. Practice co-leader Sumit Masrungson focuses on employment disputes.
‘They are knowledgeable and full of experience. Their teamwork, dedication and support are admired.’
‘Their teamwork, dedication and supportive is admired.‘
Thai Airways International Public Company Limited
Watson Farley & Williams (Thailand) Limited advises clients in the energy, natural resources and transport sectors on employment matters including employment contracts, redundancy programs, compliance and defending employers and employees against claims in the Labour Court. Practice co-leader Ratthakarn Boonnua has particular expertise in representing clients in the maritime and insurance sectors in employment disputes, while practice co-leader Alan Polivnick covers both contentious and non-contentious employment matters.
The cross-practice team at Chandler MHM Limited represents local and international clients on a range of employment contentious and non-contentious matters, including terminations of employment, labour union matters, review of employment agreements and employment aspects of corporate restructurings. The team is jointly led by Chisako Takaya who handles employment matters in relation to restructurings, and Waree Shinsirikul and Nathee Silacharoen who both handle labour and employment disputes.
DLA Piper acts for clients across a range of sectors, including technology, manufacturing and hospitality, on cross-border contentious and non-contentious employment matters. Practice head Komson Suntheeraporn advises Thai and multinational corporations on contentious work, such as representing clients in labour court proceedings, as well as non-contentious and advisory matters. Peter Shelford has experience in representing multinational clients in employment disputes in Thailand and advises insurance sector clients on employment matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘We worked with Komson Suntheeraporn. Komson is a Thai lawyer with vast experience in Thai dispute resolution and also some international arbitration. Komson has given us clear information, description and strategy on the employment potential dispute. The result is very good, we managed to avoid all the disputes and we completed all the termination without any significant issue.’
‘Availability is no issue even during pandemic as they are accessible and contactable anytime, anywhere.‘
- Advising various multinational companies operating in Thailand on the change of the employment conditions due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Acting for a shipping service company on a maritime labour dispute.
- Advising an infrastructure and transportation company on the secondment arrangement for supply of manpower in the operation and maintenance of its project in Thailand.
Kudun & Partners advises clients in the financial services, manufacturing and retail sectors on contentious and non-contentious employment and labour matters, arising out of mergers, spinoffs and business reorganisations, in particular. The practice is jointly led by Somboon Sangrungjang, who acts for domestic and international clients in employment disputes, and Troy Schooneman, who heads up the firm’s international practice. Niruch Winiyakul is another key contact and is experienced in representing clients in the automotive, transportation, banking and financial services sectors in employment disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Toyota Daihatsu Engineering & Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
S Hotels and Resorts PCL
Go Exchange Ltd.
Prima Marine PCL.
Honest Technologies (Thailand) Co. Ltd
Good Doctor Technology Medical Centre (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
United Offshore Aviation Co., Ltd.
- Represented a public listed premium Thai hotel investment company on the investigation relating to the disciplinary offence and the imposition of the disciplinary action by the client in an estimated value of THB 5.4m.
- Represented a public-listed securities company in the appeal process of an unfair termination case.
- Represented the chairman and directors of a transportation and logistics company in Thailand concerning the dispute over the Share Purchase Agreement.
ZICO Law acts for clients across the technology, energy and manufacturing sectors on employment matters relating to recruitment agency compliance, HR policy reviews, transfer of employees and termination of employment. Threenuch Bunruangthaworn, who advises clients on labour compliance, jointly heads up the practice alongside Archaree Suppakrucha, who provides ‘clear and helpful’ advice on employment agreements and termination of employment issues.
‘The advice given is clear, complete and detailed. We appreciate being well guided where we are seeking legal advice in a foreign jurisdiction.’
‘Archaree Suppakrucha’s advice is clear and helpful. She is responsive to our needs.’
Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners
Persolkelly Pte Ltd
Qatar Chemical and Petrochemical Marketing and Distribution Company Q.P.J.S.C (Muntajat)
Snap-On (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
- Advising a global provider of mechanical seals on the compliance and risk of termination of employees based on the cost reduction ground.
- Advising an online video streaming company listed in the US and headquartered in China, regarding its employment agreement.
- Advising a car and truck manufacturer headquartered in Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, on feasibility and other obligations pursuant to the implement of two- employment contracts model for employment assignment.