Drawing on a significant global network of advisors, Baker McKenzie’s tax group is ideally positioned to represent a number of leading Taiwanese and multinational clients in both transactional and long-term strategic matters. Department head Michael Wong is a highly experienced advisor to both blue-chip corporations and high-net-worth families, handling the tax structuring aspects of major, cross-border deals. Dennis Lee is noted for his local market focus, working with foreign enterprises on their Taiwanese operations and transactions. All named lawyers are based in Taipei.
Tax in Taiwan
Other key lawyers:
- Acting as special counsel for Google on its acquisition of HTC Corporation’s mobile division team and advising them on tax structuring issues together in collaboration with our U.S. and UK colleagues.
Eiger works with a number of corporate clients, including US tech companies and European conglomerates, on various transactional and regulatory tax matters. Practice head John Eastwood handles a litany of instructions, with recent mandates encompassing private equity risk, VAT issues, and tax liabilities and obligations for multinationals operating in Taiwan. Michael Werner is a key contact for the firm’s German-language clientele, advising on investment approval, corporate setups, and other cross-border tax issues. Holly Chu is noted for her representation of key players in the tech sector.
- Advising Santera Limited on corporate structure and entity matters for Taiwan acquisition of Phoenix Technologies.
- Advising on VAT issues for a European company and analysis of payment structure.
- Assisting a Singaporean company on a variety of tax matters related to its branch office.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm provides transactional and advisory tax support to a mix of domestic and multinational corporates with significant Taiwanese operations. Dual-qualified (US and Taiwan) Wellington Liu focuses on foreign direct investments and tax planning mandates, with experience appearing in civil courts and proceedings before both the national tax administration and the petitions and appeals committee. Janice Lin represents Taiwan-listed companies and foreign entities regarding their various securities offerings, and works with international developers on bond issuance regulations for the domestic market. M&A-focused Yvonne Liu is also active on mainland investment projects, helping clients to navigate the associated tax implications.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised and assisted Marelli Corporation the tax aspects of its disposal of 19.9% shares in Taiwan Calsonic, totalling $10m.
In addition to the firm’s strong corporate client base, Chien Yeh Law Offices is regularly referred work by a number of accounting and professional services firms, who turn to the team for assistance on administrative remedial proceedings, appeals, and litigations. Practice head Michael Wang specialises in public law and regulatory proceedings, routinely helping clients to negotiate major tax settlements and tariff reductions. Charice Lin handles both commercial and public sector instructions, especially in the area of environmental tax and penalties.
Other key lawyers:
Formosa Chemicals & Fibre Corporation
Formosa Petrochemical Corporation
Bank Sinopac Co., Ltd
E-life Mall Corporation
Kimlan Foods Co., Ltd.
Noble Biocare Taiwan Co., Ltd.
Newmax Technology Co., LTD.
National Taiwan University
Wartsila Taiwan Ltd.
Nan Ya Plastics Corporation
Lian Hwa Foods Corporation
- Advised Lian Hwa Foods Corporation on matters regarding the reduction in tariffs on imported cashew nuts.
- Assisted Shi Duo Co. Ltd. in negotiating with the Taipei National Taxation Bureau, reaching a settlement after 10 years of tax and criminal proceedings.