The market-leading real estate and construction practice at Baker McKenzie regularly handles some of the most high-value developments in Taiwan. Working with both domestic and international clients, the team is well-placed to provide both transactional and advisory support on projects in a range of industries. David Liou is one of the most experienced figures in the marketplace and a key port of call for high-profile foreign entities seeking assistance on major projects in the region. Tiffany Huang is highly regarded for her expertise in both contentious and non-contentious construction mandates, whose recent highlights include both acquisitions and disputes for key energy sector groups. Melanie Ho and Jun Chen are also noted.
Real estate and construction in Taiwan
Mandarina Crown Hotel / Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group
American Institute in Taiwan (AIT)
Global Agents Company, Ltd.
CPC Taiwan Corporation
Jan del Nul N. V.
Siemens Mobility GmbH
Chiahui Power Corporation
- Advised Mandarina Crown Hotel in the development and construction of a 6-star property in the city center of Taipei managed by the international franchise Mandarin Oriental.
- Advising our client, the de facto U.S. Embassy in Taiwan, on the drafting and negotiation of its acquisition of a development project located in Tianmu, Shihlin District, of Taipei City, for their future staff housing.
- Advising Global Agents Co., Ltd., a Japanese hotel operator, for a hotel project in western district of Taipei, Taiwan.
Jones Day boasts one of the foremost real estate and construction practices in the market. Drawing on the firm’s significant international footprint, the Taipei team advises a slew of foreign and Taiwanese developers and institutional investors on advisory and transactional issues. Marianne Chao‘s diverse practice encompasses construction, infrastructure, and energy, representing a full spectrum of stakeholders on biddings, negotiations, and contractual disputes. Raymond Wang is noted for his experience in commercial developments and cross-border real estate deals, while Jean Kuo is a key contact for Japanese clients with significant interests in energy and chemical sector assets. Peggy Lee is also recommended.
Kawasaki Heavy Industries
JERA Co., Inc.
Taipei American School
Far Eastern New Century Corporation
Tatung Forever Energy Co., Ltd.
- Advising Kawasaki Heavy Industries, a Japanese public multinational corporation, on several LNG tank and LNG terminal projects in Taiwan
- Represented JERA in its successful acquisition of a 32.5% stake in the offshore wind project, Formosa 1.
- Advising Taipei American School with respect to the construction of a new technology building.
Formosan Brothers Attorneys at Law acts for a wide array of clients in the real estate industry on contentious and non-contentious matters arising from project developments, contract negotiations, and government procurement agreements. Shiue-Chuan Wang is an experienced arbitrator who specialises in public construction disputes, administrative remedies on behalf of the ministry of foreign affairs, and mediations before the public construction commission. Chiu-Hua Chen routinely acts for developers and insurers in a host of construction litigations, while Jessica Chiang is noted for her experience in real estate transactions and multi-jurisdictional joint ventures. Yu-Wei Lin advises on development disputes.
Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law
Blue-chip multinationals and Taiwan-listed companies in a myriad of sectors routinely turn to Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law for assistance on new developments, government contracts, and infrastructure projects. Practice head Su Yi-Jiun‘s broad focus encompasses real estate, construction, engineering, and energy, with recent highlights including site acquisitions and regulatory reviews for some of the world’s largest tech companies. Taichung office coordinator and Governmental Procurement Committee arbitrator Jack Y. Twu is recommended for his expertise in public construction disputes. Pauline Wang focuses on infrastructure matters, while Lily Kuo is noted for her capabilities in domestic and cross-border real estate transactions. All named lawyers are based in Taipei unless stated otherwise.
BlackRock Real Assets
Decathlon Taiwan Co., Ltd.
Durban Development Co., Ltd.
- Assisting BlackRock Investment Management in conducting legal due diligence on both corporate and project assets of New Green Power Co., Ltd.
Helmed by seasoned practitioner George Lin, Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law is noted for its strength in both public and private sector real estate matters, routinely working on ambitious government-backed projects and commercial developments for renowned international conglomerates. The team is a key advisor to government bodies engaged in high-profile infrastructure ventures, advising on land use issues and public tenders, and providing representation in construction disputes. David Lee frequently leads on a number of wind farm developments, marine construction projects, and construction financings. Phoebe Huang‘s expertise in civil litigation ensures that she is routinely sought out by public bodies for representation in sensitive disputes. Felix Yu is recommended for public procurement matters.
Kilin Hotel Group
Transportation and Tourism Department of Hsinchu Country Government
Taoyuan International Airport Co., Ltd
Taipei City Government
Hwa-Xia 6th Military Family Community
Ocean Affairs Council of Taiwan
National Taiwan University
Taichung City Government
Construcciones Y Auxiliar De Ferrocarriles, S.A.
Kaohsiung City Government – Bureau of Legal Affairs
MRT Engineering Office, Bureau of High Speed Rail, Ministry of Transportation and Communications
Chien Yeh Law Offices undertakes a range of real estate and public infrastructure work, specialising in PPP projects, large scale commercial developments and urban regeneration schemes. Practice head Charles Chang manages the full lifecycle of infrastructure projects, including private contract tender and any requisite contentious proceedings. Rachel Ma handles public procurements for a diverse clientele including hospitals, forestry companies, and arts institutions. James Wu works with government agencies to vet contract bids, and with private enterprises to evaluate land development projects arranged by public sector planners. The Taichung-based Yi-Ching Tsai is noted for her capabilities in the health and leisure sectors. Pin Huang is noted for land development and commercial tenant matters. All named lawyers are based in Taipei unless otherwise noted.
THI Consultants Inc.
Ceci Engineering Consultants, Inc. Taiwan
Cushman & Wakefield Limited
Colliers International Consultants Limited
- Represented AECOM and provided legal advisory service in a BOT Project in relation to Private Participation in Waterfront Wastewater Treatment Plant and Recycling and Reuse of Effluent held by Water Resources Bureau, Kaohsiung City Government.
- Represented CECI and provided legal advisory service in a project in relation to BOT case for New Taipei City Government TuCheng Hospital held by New Taipei City Government.
- Represented Cushman & Wakefield and provided legal advisory service in a project in relation to Land Developing for Y12 Station of Circular Line of Taipei Metro System.
LCS & Partners
LCS & Partners‘ full spectrum real estate practice works on a formidable volume of high-value commercial property transactions, securitisations, REIT equity offerings, and financing mandates. Recent highlights include public auctions and plot bids for major developments in downtown Taipei. David Chuang‘s multi-disciplinary expertise in banking and finance matters makes him ideally placed to handle an array of public and private sector project financings for an array of international brokerage firms.
Nan Shan Life Insurance Company, Ltd.
TECH BRIGHT LIMITED
- Represented Nan Shan Life in a bidding process for the land of Exhibition Hall 3 of the Taipei World Trade Center (TWTC).
- Represented KwongFong Industries sale of KwongFong Plaza to Cathay Life Insurance.
- Represented Nan Shan Life in its bidding for the land of Xi-Yi District Office, Taipei City.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm is experienced in a range of real estate matters, acting for infrastructure developers, financial intermediaries, and well-known corporations with local market operations. Jackie Lin and Yvonne Liu are both key figures within the practice.
- Assisting HP Inc. with its acquisition of HyperX, a Kingston e-sports peripheral products brand and relevant business.