Real estate and construction in Taiwan
At Baker McKenzie, the full-service real estate practice remains the market leader in handling domestic and international transactions and construction projects. The team has expertise leading on high-value development work which includes government-financed projects such as BOO, BOT, and BOOT projects. Practice head David Liou is the key name to note as is infrastructure and construction specialist Tiffany Huang; the duo advises top hospitality and leisure clients on hotel franchise agreements, acquisitions, and leasing works.
Mandarina Crown Hotel / Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group
American Institute in Taiwan (AIT)
Global Agents Company, Ltd.
- Advised Mandarina Crown Hotel in the development and construction of a 6-star property in the city center of Taipei managed by the international franchise Mandarin Oriental.
- Advising the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) on the drafting and negotiation of an acquisition of a development project located in Tianmu, Shilin District of Taipei City, for client’s future staff housing.
- Advising Global Agents Co., Ltd., a Japanese hotel operator, in relation to a hotel project in Taipei. This is the first overseas hotel project for the client.
Jones Day has a reputable practice in handling large and high-value real estate-related corporate transactions, infrastructure, and energy projects. The team also has construction-related litigation expertise and is led by experienced practitioners Raymond Wang and Marianne Chao who focus on representing contractors and subcontractors. The group is active in both the domestic and international real estate space and acts for foreign clients on their outbound real estate transactions. International investors, banks, and government-owned enterprises form the client roster. Also recommended is Jean Kuo who works with Japanese clients.
Other key lawyers:
Kawasaki Heavy Industries
Nihon Sekkei, Inc.
JERA Co., Inc.
Taipei American School
Far Eastern New Century Corporation
- Advises Far Eastern New Century Corporation with the construction and leasing of large-scale built-to-lease business offices and a research & development center.
- Advising Yulon Group with its development of a construction project involving the commercial building of a large shopping mall.
Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law has a core strength in the construction arena and advises government contractors on BOT schemes and public tenders. Overseen by George Lin, the group continues to be instructed by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications on complex litigation proceedings. Co-head David Lee handles offshore wind farm development projects and infrastructure matters. Airports, railways stations, and government agencies are all clients.
Ocean Affairs Council of the Republic of China
Community Management Committee of Hwa-Xia 6th Military Family Community
National Taiwan University
Taoyuan Metro Corporation
Urban Regeneration Office, Taipei City Government
Construcciones Y Auxiliar De Ferrocarriles, S.A.
Kaohsiung City Government – Bureau of Legal Affairs
Taichung City Government
MRT Engineering Office, Bureau of High Speed Rail, Ministry of Transportation and Communications
Railway Reconstruction Bureau, Ministry of Transportation and Communications
Taoyuan International Airport Co. Ltd
Phycos International Co., Ltd.
Chien Yeh Law Offices handles major infrastructure projects, PPP, and commercial real estate development matters. Led by Charles Chang, the practice has vast expertise in litigation and is engaged in real estate-related arbitration cases, public tenders, and contractual work for clients. James Wu is the name for the development of commercial lands and urban renewal projects, having recently handled the New Taipei City Government on Development Project.
Other key lawyers:
THI Consultants Inc.
CECI ENGINEERING CONSULTANTS, INC., TAIWAN
Cushman & Wakefield Limited
COLLIERS INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANTS LIMITED
- Represented AECOM and provided legal advisory service in a BOT Project in relation to Private Participation in Waterfront Wastewater Treatment Plant and Recycling and Reuse of Effluent held by Water Resources Bureau, Kaohsiung City Government.
- Represented CECI and provided legal advisory service in a project in relation to BOT case for New Taipei City Government TuCheng Hospital held by New Taipei City Government.
- Represented Cushman&Wakefield and provided legal advisory service in a project in relation to Land Developing for Y12 Station of Circular Line of Taipei Metro System.
At Formosan Brothers Attorneys at Law, the real estate team advises on large infrastructure projects, real- estate related litigation, and project financing matters. Chiu-Hua Chen is experienced in real estate-related acquisition work, whilst Sherry Wu and Shiue-Chuan Wang are the names for construction-related litigation matters. The group also advises on urban planning, redevelopment and renewal projects, and public procurement work. Cross-border matters feature in the workload with matters across the Asia-Pacific region and in the US.
LCS & Partners
LCS & Partners real estate team has experience in syndicated lending, project finance, and structured financing work for clients. The team's core focus remains the hotel development sector and urban renewal projects led by David Chuang. Margaret Huang is recommended for BOT projects.
Other key lawyers:
- Represented Nanshan Life’s bid for the land of Xi-Yi District Office.
- Represented Millerful REITs’ acquisition of Century Iron & Steel’s logistics center.
- Represented KwongFong Industries’ selling of Parkview Garden Plaza.
The real estate practice at Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law has experience handling construction projects for multinational clients across the manufacturing and engineering sector. Taichung-based practice head Jack Y. Twu leads the group and focuses on public construction projects and has a specialism in litigation. Su Yi-Jiun is the name for real estate conveyancing and energy projects.
Other key lawyers:
Orsted Wind Power A/S
Durban Development Co., Ltd.
IKEA Trading Hongkong Ltd.
Taroko Textile Corp.; Taroko Development Corporation
Mayer Steel Pipe Corporation
Yulon General Motors Ltd.
Alpha Investment Partners
Win Sing Development Co., Ltd.
Philips Taiwan Ltd.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm has experience in financing real estate projects and handle large infrastructure projects. Jackie Lin represents domestic and international corporate clients on transactions and contracts, whilst Lillian Chu is the name for hotel franchising matters, management, and investments. Other key team members include Wellington Liu who lends real estate investment expertise.
- Assisting offshore syndicated lenders in a re-financial for real property development project in Taiwan.