Projects and energy in Taiwan
Baker McKenzie's full-service projects and energy practice remains the market leader in this space and handles infrastructure projects, government contract negotiations, and project finance. Construction expert Tiffany Huang oversees the team alongside renewable energy expert Murray Bowler, and advises clients on power generation, clean energy, and natural resources. Over in the infrastructure space, the team acts for developers and investors on a number of ongoing corporate projects. Transactional work also features in the caseload. Other core team members include Melanie Ho, who works on complex energy and power projects, Su-Fen Chen, and Tony Tang who works with Japanese clients.
Other key lawyers:
AXIA Power Holdings B.V.
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
- Acted for AXIA Power Holdings B.V. in the acquisition of a solar project portfolio in Taiwan.
- Advised BNP Paribas in an $805m syndicated revolving loan facility to finance the development by Ørsted of offshore wind farms in Taiwan.
- Advised Vena Energy on the project financing of its 70.2 MW solar energy project in Chiayi County.
Jones Day's projects practice has strength in the construction and energy spaces and acts for a range of clients including contractors, consultants, developers, and project owners. The team leverages its global network and offers a cross-practice approach with particular expertise in banking and finance. Practice head Raymond Wang advises on complex transactions for both local and international clients, whilst co-head Marianne Chao is the name for large infrastructure projects. Jean Kuo is a key member of the team and led the successful acquisition of a 32.5% stake in the offshore wind project Formosa 1, as well as acting for the Taipower Taichung Power Plant. Peggy Lee handles cross-border mergers.
Kawasaki Heavy Industries
Nihon Sekkei, Inc.
JERA Co., Inc.
Taipei American School
Far Eastern New Century Corporation
- Represented JERA Co., Inc. (JERA) in its successful acquisition of a 32.5% stake in the offshore wind project, Formosa 1.
- Continues to advise Taipei American School with respect to the construction of a new technology building.
Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law has a strong track record in advising state-owned energy clients including Taiwan Power Corporation on large power projects. The team also acts in the up-and-coming offshore wind farm development projects in Taiwan and advises developers operating in this space. George Lin leads the team with support from David Lee; key members include chief counsel Paul S P Hsu who advises on Taiwan’s renewable and green energy policies.
Other key lawyers:
Électricité de France S.A.
Construcciones Y Auxiliar De Ferrocarriles, S.A.
Taiwan Power Corporation
Ocean Affairs Council of the Republic of China
Civil Aeronautics Administration, Ministry of Transportation and Communications
National Communications Commission
Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Co., Ltd.
Taiwan International Ports Corporation
Urban Regeneration Office, Taipei City Government
Taoyuan Metro Corporation
National Taiwan University
Ministry of Education
Taichung City Government
- Current legal counsel to the Taoyuan Metro Corporation, one of the three mass rapid transit systems in Taiwan.
- Current legal counsel to the Civil Aeronautics Administration of Ministry of Transportation and Communications.
- 2019 legal counsel to Électricité de France S.A., the French power conglomerate, in Taiwan.
At Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law, the project's practice handles large infrastructure projects across the main cities in Taiwan which includes Hsinchu, Taichung, and Kaohsiung. The group handles complex contract work and project financing, and is jointly led by Joyce Fan who handles renewable energy projects, and Yi-Jiun Su who acts for developers and contractors.
Orsted Wind Power A/S
wpd offshore GmbH
Macquarie Green Investment Group
Swancor Renewable Energy Co., Ltd.
Vena Energy Solar (Taiwan) B.V.
- Project development and project finance for Formosa 2 offshore wind project with total capacity of 378MW and an amount of around $3bn.
- Project development and project finance for Yunneng offshore wind project with a total capacity of 640MW and an amount of around $4.5bn.
- Project finance for Changfang and Xidao offshore wind projects with total capacity of 600MW and an amount of around $3bn.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm advises local and international energy companies on regulatory issues and has a focus on offshore wind farm projects in Taiwan. The team offers a broad service handling acquisition matters, financing mandates, and establishing business operations. Janice Lin is a key name and for project financing and holds a number of banks as clients.
Entie Commercial Bank
E.SUN Commercial Bank
Taipei Fubon Commercial Bank
Cathay United Bank
ANZ Banking Group
Credit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
Standard Chartered Bank
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
- Representing Taiwan legal counsel for the financing parties, a consortium of 20 Taiwanese and international financial institutions, in successfully closing the Formosa 2 (376 MW) offshore wind project financing announced on October 29, 2019.
Eiger's energy practice has strength across the onshore and offshore wind, solar, and renewable energy space and is led by experienced practitioner John Eastwood. The firm has a regional footprint with offices in Beijing and Shanghai and is able to skillfully handle cross-border matters across the project finance, secured lending, and public procurement landscape. New partner Heather Hsiao co-heads the group and manages due diligence work, whilst associate Wendy Chu leads on joint-venture energy projects.
Other key lawyers:
LCS & Partners
LCS & Partners has experience in the offshore wind-farm project space in Taiwan and advises clients on due diligence matters. Senior counsel and practice head Pijan Wu has over two decades of expertise and has a strong international trade and investment practice. Arthur Chang has experience in cross-border energy-related corporate transactions.
Maiora Renewables and its Taiwan SPV
- Advising Sojitz in the due diligence and agreement negotiation process.
- Advising Maiora Renewables in the agreement negotiation process with local solar project developer, HongXing Energy Technology Co., Ltd.