Projects and energy in Taiwan
Baker McKenzie's projects and energy practice provides services to many of the operators of independent power producers in Taiwan, and works with clients from market segments including power generation, clean energy, and natural resources. In the infrastructure space, the team has experience of public construction projects such as toll roads and mass rapid transportation. The practice is jointly headed by Murray Bowler and Tiffany Huang, who focuses on construction and infrastructure work. Also recommended are Melanie Ho, who works on complex energy and government procurement projects, administrative law specialist Su-Fen Chen, and Tony Tang, who handles construction disputes and advises on government contracts.
Murray Bowler; Tiffany Huang
Chia-Hui Power Company
Ever Power IPP Company
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
Northland Power Inc.
Taiwan-Japan Oxo Chemical Industries Inc.
Swancor Renewable Energy
Tokyo Century Corporation
Jan de Nul
- Acting on behalf of CPC Taiwan, a state-owned petrochemicals company, as legal counsel in claims against the client by construction contractors, each exceeding $1.7m.
- Acted for Tokyo Century Corporation in its first direct investment in a floating solar power project in Taiwan developed by Ciel & Terre Taiwan Limited with Kyudenko Corporation and Kyuden Mirai Energy Company, Incorporated.
- Advised funds managed by Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners on their purchase of the Xidao, Fufeng and Changfang offshore wind farm development projects.
- Advised Northland Power Inc. on the ongoing development of the Hai Long 2 and Hai Long 3 offshore wind development projects in Taiwan. This work has to-date included advising on all regulatory matters and development matters.
- Advised Vena Energy on the development, construction and financing of Project Mingus, a 70MW solar energy project being developed in Chiayi County, Taiwan.
Jones Day's projects practice encompasses a broad range of energy, infrastructure and procurement work for a variety of clients, including contractors, general consultants, detailed design consultants, developers, and project owners. The team is jointly led by Marianne Chao, who is vastly experienced in infrastructure and construction projects, and real estate expert Raymond Wang; it also includes Jean Kuo, who is noted for her work for Japanese clients as well as energy-related M&A. Highlights include representing JERA Co., Inc. in the successful acquisition of a 32.5% stake in the offshore wind project Formosa 1, which is the only offshore wind project in Taiwan currently in commercial-scale operation.
Marianne Chao; Raymond Wang
Other key lawyers:
Kawasaki Heavy Industries
Shin Kong Financial Holding Co.
Taipei American School
Fubon Financial Holding
Gateway Capital Real Estate Fund
Far Eastern New Century Corporation
JERA Co., Inc.
- Represented Kawasaki Heavy Industries in defence of a protest filed by the losing bidder of an EPC project for an LNG Tank owned by CPC Corporation, Taiwan.
- Represented JERA Co., Inc. in the successful acquisition of a 32.5% stake in the offshore wind project, Formosa 1; work included detailed due diligence, structuring advice, all SPA and SHA aspects, anti-trust filing, etc.
- Represented a renowned European energy group in the potential acquisition of an offshore wind project in Taiwan.
- Advised Taipei American School on the construction of a new technology building.
- Advised civil engineering contractors, and the general consultant, on the High Speed Rail Project in Taiwan.
Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law's energy and projects practice benefits from the firm's strong government affairs and public policy group. Indeed, the team has strong relationships with Taiwan Power Corporation, Taiwan's state-owned energy monopoly. In addition to its expanding energy work, specifically in offshore wind, the group handles a good deal of transactional and contentious projects and infrastructure work for Taiwan's government, particularly the Ministry of Transport and Communications. Key contacts include practice heads George Lin and David Lee, the latter of whom has experience in defence procurement.
George Lin; David Lee
‘George Lin is keenly tuned in to clients’ needs’
‘David Lee is technically excellent‘
Taiwan Power Corporation
Electricite de France S.A.
Construcciones Y Auxiliar De Ferrocarriles, S.A.
Taiwan Green Power Co., Ltd.
Civil Aeronautics Administration, Ministry of Transportation and Communications
Taiwan International Ports Corporation
Taiwan Area National Freeway Bureau, Ministry of Transportation and Communications
Railway Reconstruction Bureau, Ministry of Transportation and Communications
MRT Engineering Office, Bureau of High Speed Raid, Ministry of Transportation and Communications
Taoyuan International Airport Co., Ltd.
Taipei City Government
Taichung City Government
Kaohsiung City Government
National Taiwan University
- Advised Taiwan Power Corporation on the disposal of nuclear waste.
- Advised Taiwan Power Corporation in its proposed spin-off following the liberalisation of Taiwan’s Energy Act, in a deal worth $300,000.
- Legal counsel to Electricite de France on its involvement on Taiwan government projects.
- Local counsel to Taiwan Green Power Company in offshore wind development worth $3bn.
- Legal advisor to Civil Aeronautics Administration, Ministry of Transportation and Communications.
Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law has extensive experience in handling energy and other infrastructure projects in Taiwan. Clients include Star Energy Power Corporation, Sun Bar Power Corporation, Hei Hu Power Plant and Chiahui Power Corporation.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm focuses on lender-side project finance mandates, and has recently handled matters including the acquisition of a cable television network and a television- and broadband-systems operator. The practice is experienced with power financing, particularly offshore wind, having advised the financing parties of both the Formosa 1 and WPD offshore wind farms. Janice Lin, who leads project financing matters, is the name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank, Cathay United Bank Co., Ltd., BNP Paribas, and EKF Denmark’s Export Credit Agency, and other banks
Hong Leong Hotel Development Ltd.
International Lease Finance Corporation, Barclays Bank PLC and Bank of Scotland PLC
- Advised financing parties of Formosa 1 offshore wind farm.
- Represented financing parties of WPD offshore wind farm to successfully achieve financial close of the NT$94bn project financing.
- Advised Deutsche Bank and the lender group on an offshore company’s bid for acquisition of 60% of Eastern Broadcasting Co., Ltd. and on the financing structure and the NT$5bn syndicated loans.
- Advised Citi Bank and the lender group on an offshore company’s proposed acquisition of 60% of China Network Systems Group and on the financing structure and the NT$47bn syndicated loans.
Eiger has a growing energy practice, focused on offshore and onshore wind, solar, and nuclear energy. The firm draws on its familiarity with the emerging political and regulatory landscape of Taiwan together with its experience in the corporate, commercial, financial and tax matters to service the alternative energy sector. The team advises on project finance and secured lending, licensing, permits and approvals, regulatory compliance, and public procurement and public-private partnerships. John Eastwood and Heather Hsiao jointly head the team, which also includes Paul J. Cassingham and Nathan Snyder.
John Eastwood; Heather Hsiao
- Represented a globally-known manufacturing company in negotiating a joint venture for the production and procurement in Taiwan of offshore wind turbine installation vessels.
- Represented an established maritime company in negotiating a joint venture for the manufacture and installation of offshore wind turbine foundations in Taiwan.
- Represented a globally known construction company in negotiating a joint venture for the establishment of an offshore wind turbine maritime construction business in Taiwan.