Insurance in Taiwan
The insurance practice at Baker McKenzie has extensive experience in advising on insurance regulations, working with regulatory authorities and representing and advising insurance companies in domestic and multi-jurisdictional legal issues and insurance disputes affecting both life and non-life insurance products. The team handles insurance company establishment, documentation and compliance, drafting mandates on behalf of government authorities, regulatory compliance, insurance claims and disputes. Tiffany Huang and Shelley Fan jointly lead the practice.
Tiffany Huang; Shelley Fan
Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law provides comprehensive service to domestic insurance companies and foreign insurers operating in Taiwan. The team also provides regulatory advice and handles matters relating to insurers’ major corporate transactions and disputes, particularly involving complex insurance-linked financial products. In addition, working in conjunction with its shipping practice, the firm has strong offerings in aviation and shipping insurance. The practice is jointly led by George Lin and Joey Kao, and also includes Kaiju Lee.
George Lin; Joey Kao
Other key lawyers:
Mercedes-Benz Insurance Services Taiwan Ltd.
Swiss Reinsurance Company
Zurich Insurance Group
- Legal counsel to Swiss Reinsurance Company.
- Legal counsel to Zurich Insurance Group.
- Legal counsel to Mercedes-Benz Insurance Services Taiwan.
Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law's work in this area covers insurance claim handling, development of and filing applications for new insurance products, insurance sector M&A transactions, application procedures for incorporating insurance companies, acting as a claim agent to handle outstanding claims for insurance companies that are to be liquidated, and general insurance advice. Clients include AXA and Zurich.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm's insurance practice advises domestic and international insurance and reinsurance companies on insurance mechanisms to cover transactional risks in M&A deal closing, and also represents clients in insurance-related disputes. Key lawyers include James Cheng, who is experienced in regulatory compliance matters and claim disputes, and Randy Tsai, who is advising the American Chamber of Commerce in Taipei's Insurance Committee.
Catlin Re Switzerland
Allen & Overy LLP Singapore
Cathay Century Insurance
- Advised Catlin Re Switzerland on reinsurance law arrangements.
- Advised Apple on issues related to product insurance and on setting up its own product insurance mechanism.
- Advised Allen and Overy LLP Singapore on overseas investment regulation for insurance companies.
- Advised Cathay Century Insurance on various insurance disputes.
Lexcel Partners handles litigation on behalf of insurance companies and advises on policy review and drafting, matters relating to Taiwan's Insurance Act and Company Act, and consultations on indemnity cover. The team has ongoing client relationships with a number of insurance providers with local offices in Taiwan. Key figures in the practice group include Echo Yeh and Sue Su, both of whom have a strong track record in corporate matters, and David Tsai, a litigator with experience in insurance regulatory compliance.
Echo Yeh; Sue Su; David Tsai
Aia International Limited Taiwan Branch
China Life Insurance Company, Ltd.
MSIG Mingtai Insurance Co., Ltd.
Hotai Insurance Co., Ltd.
- Provided legal counsel to MSIG Mingtai Insurance.
- Provided legal consultation to Hotai Insurance.
- Provided legal consultation to Asurion Greater China Company Limited Taiwan Branch.
- Negotiation with Insurance Bureau for amendment to Insurance Act in collaboration with non-Taiwanese insurance companies.
- Consulted by The Medical Protection Society Limited on the regulatory status/implications for providing professional indemnity cover in Taiwan.