Dispute resolution in Taiwan
The dispute resolution practice at Baker McKenzie leverages its international offices to provide multi-jurisdictional dispute expertise to clients. The group is known for handling a myriad of matters relating to corporate disputes, white-collar crime, and criminal litigation. Overseen by seasoned litigators David Liou and Henry Chang, the team is also proficient in ADR mechanisms and handling high-value civil lawsuits for large corporations and domestic and foreign brands. Also in the team is Shelley Fan who is noted for handling infrastructure projects and international arbitration.
‘Well versed in understanding the technical details of the dispute. Very responsive and in a timely matter. Also, the team that works on our case has been stable for the entire, very long duration of the case.’
‘David Liou, Shelley Fan and Chien-Hung, Lai are working with me. They all have excellent case knowledge. Shelley Fan works mostly internal but demonstrates excellent knowledge of all details of the case when having face-to-face meetings. David Liou is very pragmatic, always available. All three are very clear and very structured.’
Chung Kwan Investment Co., Ltd.
- Tiffany Huang led our team in a lawsuit claiming for compensation against the owner.
- In 2016, prosecutors brought criminal charges against Jeffrey Koo Jr., formerly Vice-President of CTBC Financial Holding Co., Ltd., a top financial institution in Taiwan. Company executives allege that they committed a breach of trust by embezzling $300m from the Company between 2004 to 2007. The case is now pending an appeal filed by the prosecutor’s office.
Jones Day has a track record of acting in Taiwan's biggest disputes and is known for handling white-collar crime, corporate governance issues, and major class actions. Based out of Taipei, the team is managed by key partners Jason Chen who is the contact for complex cross-border cases, Ming-Wei Lo, Po-Chien Chen, and Simon Yu. The team is skilled in high-profile criminal damage cases and is made up of Marianne Chao is the name for big-ticket arbitration matters and has experience acting under the rules of the Chinese Arbitration Association.
Other key lawyers:
Ting Hsin International Group
Nomura Global Financial Products Inc.
Broadcasting Corporation of China
Fetek Technology Corporation
China General Terminal and Distribution Corp. (USI Group)
SinoPac Financial Holdings Co., Ltd.
Peng Lai Co., Ltd.
EFG Bank AG
Lin, Rong-Jin (Center Laboratories, Inc.)
- Jones Day continues to advise Ting Hsin International in one of the highest-profile food safety disputes in Taiwan’s legal history.
- Jones Day continues to defend Nomura Global Financial Products in complex, multijurisdictional lawsuits arising out of a loan agreement in the Asia Pacific Region.
- Jones Day is defending Fetek in a trade secret investigation by Li-Xiang Semiconductor Companyand impending civil and criminal trials.
Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law has considerable experience across white-collar crime, corporate disputes, and handles complex high-profile litigation matters. The team under the leadership of arbitrator George Lin and Matthew Chen acts for both local and international clients on government procurement, class actions, white-collar defence, financial, and energy disputes. Senior associate Iris Chen focuses on construction and infrastructure projects whilst Phoebe Huang who splits her time between Taipei and Kaohsiung is the name for civil litigation matters. Felix Yu joined the team PCL TransAsia Law Offices.
‘Unlike most service providers in Asia you feel that Lin & Partners sincerely care about you as a client which leads to a great amount of trust.’
‘Mr George Lin stands out as a seasoned dispute lawyer as he easily commands the courtroom with competence and boldness.’
‘This firm has a good team and can very promptly form a task force for the case. They will work round the clock if necessary and their time calculation is precise and efficient. Most importantly, they solve complex issues in the most efficient and favorable terms for clients.’
‘George Lin is very experienced and very precise in defining issues and forming a strategy to resolve the legal issue. He is extremely skillful in pinpointing the key weakness of the opponent and win the case either in court or force the other side to settle at our terms.’
National Taiwan University
Construcciones Y Auxiliar De Ferrocarriles, S.A.
Kaohsiung City Government – Bureau of Legal Affairs
Taichung City Government
MRT Engineering Office, Bureau of High Speed Rail, Ministry of Transportation and Communications
Railway Reconstruction Bureau, Ministry of Transportation and Communications
Bank Sinopac Co., Ltd.
National Women’s League of the Republic of China
Chung Kuo Insurance Co., Ltd.
- Legal counsel to Construcciones Y Auxiliar De Ferrocarriles, S.A., representing the client in numerous litigation cases concerning the Kaohsiung LRT project in Taiwan.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm handles complex litigation matters for clients before all levels of the judiciary in Taiwan including the district courts as well as the Supreme Court of the Republic of China. The team is made up of former judges which include key names such as Edgar Chen, Judie Sun, and Josh Fan, and is skilled in white-collar defence cases and civil litigation matters. Domestic and international business disputes are handled by Jennifer Lin whilst Vincent Lin is the name for government investigations. He holds a number of foreign companies as clients.
Fei & Cheng Associates
Former President of SinoPac
OHL (Taiwan) Ltd.
Corning Display Technologies Taiwan Co, Ltd.
- Represented Fei & Cheng Associates to obtain a non-guilty judgment from the Taiwan High Court Taichung Branch Court and reversed the first instance guilty judgment. This judgment clarified an architect’s role in a government procurement project and received a lot of attention from the relevant industry.
- Successfully represented the client Sayang Motors in obtaining a favorable judgement which orders the Ministry of National Defense to fulfill its contractual obligations with the client. MND procured three batches of military jeeps from our client. MND failed its obligation to assist the client in the pre-delivery inspection of the vehicles, which caused various inspection disputes and hence delayed the delivery and acceptance of the vehicles.
- Represent the former president of SinoPac Holdings Co., Ltd. to defend the criminal charge lodged under the Financial Holding Company Act and Securities Exchange Act and other laws for a criminal penalty up to 12 years imprisonment.
The dispute resolution team at Chien Yeh Law Offices handles civil litigation and arbitration work across employment, IP, and competition matters. Managing partner Justin Chen is a key contact and oversees the practice alongside Henry Han who focuses on consumer disputes; in a representative matter, Han is engaged in a mid-value damages matter for a manufacturing company. Also in the team is Joe Shen who has a specialism in corporate and insurance litigation.
Synnex Technology International Corporation
SEGA AMUSEMENTS TAIWAN LTD.
SPIRAX SARCO CO., LTD.
VISUAL PHOTONICS EPITAXY CO., LTD.
JIAN FOODS INCORPORATION
TAIWAN YUBO CO., LTD.（Uber Taiwan）
UPC TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION
Min-Sheng General Hospital
KISCO (TAIWAN) LTD.
PCG BROS SPORTS MANAGEMENT CO., LTD.
FUJITSU TAIWAN LTD.
Lion Travel Service Co., Ltd.
Taisun Enterprise Co., Ltd
The dispute resolution practice at Formosan Brothers Attorneys at Law is skilled in handling an array of civil and criminal litigation matters with a specialism in white-collar defense, public procurement, and corporate work. The group is made up of experienced domestic and international arbitrators such as managing partner Lipu Lee and Jessie Lee who is registered with the Chinese Arbitration Association. Construction disputes are handled by Shiue-Chuan Wang and Hsin-Jen Wang works primarily for Japanese clients.
Other key lawyers:
K&L Gates has domestic and international experience in handling commercial arbitration and litigation matters, with strength across the energy and financial services sectors. Overseen by 'brilliant litigator' Shilin Huang, the practice focuses on tort litigation, construction-related disputes, and white-collar crime investigations, with cross-border mandates frequenting the workload. Associate Lu-Shin Lee is a key member of the team and has ADR experience, handles commercial litigation work, and representative matters include being involved in landmark toxic tort cases. IP partner Alex Hung retired from the practice in January 2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very experienced in the field of financial related matters. They know how to deal with that kind of matter and can provide helpful advice to us so that we can evaluate correctly our case and make appropriate decisions. I think this team is a strong competitor to other major law firms in Taiwan in this respect.’
‘Shilin Huang is a very brilliant litigator. He is very experienced in financial matters and is filled with knowledge.‘
‘They are professional and passionate about their services.’
China Petrochemical Development Corp.
Chinatrust Financial Holdings
Chinatrust Commercial Bank
- Representing China Petrochemical Development Corp (the Defendant) in challenging certain aspects of a judgment handed down by the Supreme Court of Taiwan in relation to a high-profile toxic tort lawsuit involving over 300 plaintiffs alleging the various health complications from which they suffered were allegedly caused by our client exposing them to dioxin.
- Successfully defended Chinatrust against accusations made against its management team that alleged the team violated various provisions of the Security Exchange Act when it attempted to take over Mega Financial Holding in 2005 and 2006.
- Representing Chinatrust Commercial Bank in its defence against the prosecution office’s accusations against the client’s management team that relates to their conduct during and representations about a successful acquisition in 2004.
Innovatus Law's dispute resolution practice has strength across the real estate, construction, and white-collar-crime areas. Led by Derek Sun who has over ten years of experience, the team handles litigation matters for large domestic companies operating in the consumer products and technology sector. The team also includes experienced associates Bill Hsu and Janine Lin. The team is also able to leverage its wider capabilities including intellectual property where Jamie Yang is the key contact.
‘It is a great experience to work Mr. Derek Sun. He keeps a good balance between law and trust. I expect an attorney to respect the law and provide best advice to build trust’.
‘Derek Sun and Eve Tsai were a fantastic team, they work well together and they have industry knowledge so it saves us a lot of time’.
‘The way they handle things are immediate and professional’.
‘Not only did they give real examples of past cases, but also provided suggestions on how we handle things’.
‘We couldn’t ask for a better reliable partnership with them’.
FamilyMart Co., Ltd.
Kuai Kuai Co., Ltd.
XPEC Entertainment Inc. / Hsieh, Devin
Ganso Co., Ltd.
ENG Electric Co., Ltd.
Fubon Sports & Entertainment Co., Ltd.
- Represented Kuai Kuai and the major shareholders (the Liao Family) against one minor shareholder in a series of lawsuits, which include the dispute over seats of board members, the validity of shareholders meeting, and the criminal liability of breach of trust.
- Represented FamilyMart in a series of lawsuits regarding the franchise agreements and fair trade issues. Also advised FamilyMart in various corporate law issues.
- Represented Devin Hsieh, the former CFO of XPEC Entertainment Inc., for lawsuits regarding securities fraud, financial statement fraud, and non-arm’s length transaction.
Brain Trust International Law Firm has an international client base spanning the Asian region and in the United States, and acts for them on litigation matters. The practice is managed by Hung Ou Yang and handles criminal defense, tax, and white-collar crime disputes.
Ideal Bike Corporation
B.F.F International Ltd.
Lexcel Partners retains its niche offering in acting for local government agencies and holds the Ministry of Economic Affairs as a client. The dispute resolution practice handles litigation matters across employment and insurance and is jointly led by David Tsai and Kang-Shen Liu. Associate Paul S P Hsu, who handles mediation matters, and Cindy Chien are also core members of the team. International trade matters also frequent the workload as does IP-related disputes work.
Ministry of Economic Affairs
New Taipei City Government
Aia International Limited Taiwan Branch
China Life Insurance Co., Ltd.
Airoha Technology Corp.
Lenovo Global Technology (Taiwan) Ltd.
- Represents the Ministry of Economic Affairs to litigate against a vendor.
- Represents the Airoha Technology Corp. to apply for the appraisal of share value.
- Represents Lenovo Global Technology (Taiwan) Ltd to defend the former employee’s claim.
The dispute resolution group at Winkler Partners is known for handling IP-related litigation work and the enforcement of arbitral awards in Taiwan. The team is headed by IP expert Gary Kuo and Christine Chen (who handles employment-related disputes) and acts in commercial dispute matters. The group holds a number of blue-chip companies and leading financial institutions in their client roster. Ling-ying Hsu is the name for trademarks and Peter Dernbach who leads the IP group is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
- Assisting leading athletic clothing brand in a lengthy court battle against a local shoe brand regarding the use of our client’s distinctive logo and related trademarks.
- Successfully fought the Ministry of National Defense and related contractors in long-running trade secrets, copyright and patent infringement case brought by a European vehicle parts manufacturer. The IP Court awarded our client TWD 55 million ($1.8 m) in damages. Related cases are currently under negotiation for settlement.
- Assisted a British yacht company with a dispute involving the Taiwanese boat builder, including the collection of missing payments and failure to deliver the ordered boats.
The practice at Zoomlaw Attorneys-At-Law has a strength in IP and M&A work and provides clients a cross-practice approach. Based in Taipei with an office in Hsinchu, the group is jointly headed by Kuoha Fan and Ling-Hao Kuo and handles administrative litigation matters across the manufacturing and cosmetic industry.