Fully integrated with the firm’s other practice areas, Baker McKenzie’s practice is an effective international outfit serving some of Taiwan’s largest manufacturers and financial institutions.Kevin Wang’s 25 years’ M&A experience is geared towards local requirements, deal structuring, negotiations, and risk management, while Michael Wong is noted in the space for his expertise on taxation issues in major cross-border commercial transactions. Both hold joint qualifications in Taiwan and the United States. Lindy Chern focuses on hypermarkets, department stores and industrial and commercial complexes. Mark Tu and Gwyneth Gu are both highly recommended assets to the team, particularly in cross-border transactions.
Corporate and M&A in Taiwan
Kevin Wang; Michael Wong
Other key lawyers:
Lindy Chern; Mark Tu, Gwyneth Gu
GlobalWafers Co., Ltd
Fubon Financial Holding Company, Ltd.
LCY Chemical Corp.
China Life Insurance Co., Ltd
Auchuan Retail International
BizLink Holding Inc.
ASE Technology Holding Co., Ltd
- Advised GlobalWafers Co., Ltd. in its signing of a Business Combination Agreement and acquisition of at least 65% of Siltronic AG in a transaction estimated at approximately 2.4 billion Euros.
- Assisted Fubon Financial Holding Company, Ltd. in purchasing between 50.01% and 100% shares of Jih Sun Financial Holding.
- Acted as the lead counsel to LCY Chemical Corp. in relation to its acquisition of 100% equity interests in Bridgestone (Huizhou) Synthetic Rubber Co., Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation.
Serving some of Taiwan’s largest domestic and international corporate entities, Jones Day routinely handles cross-border M&A and corporate compliance work for high-value, high profile clients, particularly in the technology sector. The department is jointly led by Tommy Chen and John Lin who both bring 20 years’ experience representing clients in mergers, leveraged buyouts, joint ventures, privatisations and corporate restructuring matters. Raymond Wang is a cross-border M&A expert, while Jean Kuo brings valuable experience on antitrust and labour and employment matters. At the associate level, Yen-Chen Chen is highly regarded for her work in private placements, share swaps, joint ventures, and real estate investments, with Jeffrey Wang noted for his multi-industry M&A experience.
Tommy Chen; John Lin,
Other key lawyers:
Raymond Wang; Jean Kuo; Yen-Chen Chen; Jeffrey Wang
‘Jones Day’s Corporate and M&A practice is a very well-known practice in the Taiwanese market. The team has extensive experience in providing legal advisory services to both multinational corporations and Taiwan clients. The service quality as well as the advice provided by Jones Day Taiwan is highly appreciated.’
‘I have worked with John Lin for several transactions, including inbound transactions as well as outbound transactions. John is very commercial. He always provides insights to the clients and proposes recommendations from strategic, commercial and practical view point.’
‘John Lin and Jeffrey Wang are very good at what they do! They handled my case with professionalism and were extremely easy to work with. They turned my stressful/worrisome situation into a relief filled/hassle free process and outcome. They had my back and I trusted them entirely.’
Entie Commercial Bank
Taiwan Cement Corporation
VIA Technologies, Inc.
Catcher Technology Co., Ltd.
Dyaco International Inc.
Yeong Chin Machinery Industries Co., Ltd.
- Advised EnTie Commercial Bank Co., Ltd., a PE fund-backed commercial bank in Taiwan headquartered in Taipei, on its acquisition by IBF Financial Holdings Co., Ltd.
- Advised Albaugh in the take-private acquisition of Rotam Global AgroSciences Limited.
- Represented VIA Technologies in its entry into a definitive agreement with Intel, under which Intel will recruit certain employees of Centaur Technology, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of VIA, in exchange for certain covenants of Centaur.
Advising on multi-party, cross-border transactions, K&L Gates is trusted by a range of major domestic and international manufacturers and financial institutions. Jacqueline Fu leads the department with extensive experience in corporate and commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, as well as corporate governance and legal compliance. James Chen brings vast multi-jurisdictional experience to his international clients, having previously worked within this practice in China, Singapore, Hong Kong and New York. Billy Chen focuses on corporate governance and corporate finance, while Owen Chio is noted for his M&A work in the energy, technology, and biotechnology sectors. Joseph Tseng regularly advises on business restructuring within M&A transactions.
Other key lawyers:
James Chen; Billy Chen, Owen Chio; Joseph Tseng
ACT Genomics Holdings Company Limited
Cloud Mile Inc.
J&V Energy Technology Co., Ltd.
Kneron Holding Corporation
Shan-Loong Transportation Co., Ltd.
Silicon Motion Technology Corporation
Taiwan Liposome Company Limited
Tien Li Offshore Wind Technology Co., Ltd.
Yeong Guan Energy Technology Group Co., Ltd.
- Advised Silicon Motion Technology Corporation, an Asia-based global leader in developing NAND flash controllers for solid state storage devices, on entering into a US$3.8 billion cross-border take-private acquisition with MaxLinear, Inc., a California-based leading provider of radio frequency, analog, digital, and mixed-signal integrated circuits.
- Acted for Acepodia, Inc. in its Series B-2 Preferred Share financing and Series C Preferred Share financing. The aggregate investment amounts of Series B-2 Preferred Share financing and Series C Preferred Share financing were US$31.7 million and US$109 million.
- Acted for Northville Limited in its investment in Wave Power Renewables Limited, a developer of wave energy technology and projects.
Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law
With one of the strongest departments in the corporate and M&A arena, Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law is well-equipped to handle a broad range of transactional and advisory mandates for some of region’s largest international corporations. With a strong focus on M&As, privatisations, and spin-offs, the firm is also equipped to handle post-transaction corporate restructurings and regulatory compliance. The department boasts a strong front bench of partners with diverse multi-industry experience. Eddie Chan, Patricia Lin and C. T. Chang are noted for their cross-border M&A work, while James Chen brings valuable knowledge of Taiwan’s semiconductor industry. Ken-Ying Tseng rounds out the team with notable work in media, tech and broadcasting. Eddie Hsiung is also highly recommended.
Eddie Chan; Patricia Lin
Other key lawyers:
C.T. Chang; James Chen; Ken-Ying Tseng; Eddie Hsiung; Yuan-Yuan Lo
China Development Financial Holding Corporation
Baring Private Equity Asia
Global Renewable Synergy Company Limited (GRSC) / Global Power Synergy Public Company Limited Taiwan (GRSC Taiwan)
Citigroup Inc./Citibank Taiwan Limited
Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Limited
PAG (Pacific Alliance Group)
- Advised China Development Financial Holding Corporation on its acquisition of 100% stake in China Life Insurance Co., Ltd. (“China Life”) and privatization of China Life through share exchange.
- Acts as Gogoro Inc. (“Gogoro”)’s Taiwan legal advisor assisting in Taiwan-law-related matters, including legal advice on transaction documents, F-1 form and Taiwan merger control assessment.
- Assisted Ørsted Group on all elements of the divestment of 50% of the 605 MW Greater Changhua 1 Offshore Wind Farm to Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) and Cathay PE.
LCS & Partners
Working across a broad range of industries, LCS & Partners routinely advises Taiwanese and southeast Asian clients on regulatory and compliance within cross-border acquisitions, divestments, and other corporate transactions. Rich Lin and Victor Chang jointly lead the department with experience in cross-border transactions, fund formations, and offshore assets for businesses and high-net-worth individuals. Alex Yeh focuses on reorganisations and corporate restructuring while Kai-Hua Yu is noted for transnational mergers and delistings. Denise Jen compliments the department with her expertise in pharmaceutical law.
Victor Chang; Rich Lin
Other key lawyers:
Denise Jen; Kai-Hua Yu; Alex Yeh
Mercury Taiwan Holdings Limited
Longreach Capital Partners
Elite Material Co. Ltd.
Chang Wah Electromaterials Inc
Just Kitchen Holdings Corp.
- Advised Mercury Taiwan Holdings Limited to acquire 50% of the issued share capital of the target with a deal value of USD$ 2.7 billion.
- Acted as the local counsel for Google International LLC in their acquisition of 4,880 ordinary shares of Ennoconn Corporation through private placement.
- Represented Circle Inc. in its acquisition of CYBAV.
Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law
Catering to a variety of domestic and multinational corporations, Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law is routinely trusted as local counsel within complex, multi-party, cross-border transactions. Active across multiple industries, the firm is well placed to advise on procurement, contracts, deal structure and regulatory compliance. A key player in the space, George Lin has extensive experience advising global companies and domestic entities in the banking, fintech and renewable energy sectors. Kaiju Lee is well regarded for her work on investments and incorporation issues across Greater China. At the associate level, Ted Liu is noted for his experience in cross-border M&A work in the financial sector.
George Lin; Kaiju Lee
Other key lawyers:
Taoyuan Metro Corporation
- Acted as legal counsel for Taoyuan Metro Corporation on all corporate and M&A matters, including procurement, contractual performance, dispute resolution and labor matters.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm’s corporate and M&A team caters to high-profile domestic manufacturers as well as multi-national tech companies and financial institutions. The department routinely handles large scale due diligence and complex cross-border transactions. Jackie Lin, joint qualified in Taiwan and the US, focuses her practice on corporate deal structures, tax, post-transaction corporate restructuring and corporate governance. Janice Lin, also joint-qualified, brings expertise handling international investments and mergers in the green energy sector. Yvonne Liu has broad experience advising clients on M&A activity in the tech, biotech, healthcare, e-commerce, finance and energy spaces. Lynn Lin is also noted for her work in the technology and manufacturing sectors.
Jackie Lin; Janice Lin
Other key lawyers:
Yvonne Liu; Lynn Lin
Franz Haniel & Cie GmbH
Yorkey Optical International (Cayman) Ltd.
Good Friend International Holdings Inc.
Taiwania Capital Management Corporation
TECO Electric & Machinery Co., Ltd.
A Taiwan securities firm
- Served as Taiwanese counsel to BP in the USD 5 billion sale of petrochemicals business to INEOS.
- Advised SF Holding, one of the largest Chinese package-delivery services, on its USD 2.3 billion takeover acquisition of the Hong Kong-listed Kerry Logistics.
- Assisting Citibank on its NTD 44.3 billion sale of retailed banking business to DBS.
Dentons' Taiwan branch represents a broad client base, including local Taiwanese companies and US and European multinationals. The firm oversees a high volume of M&A deals as well as minority share acquisitions and joint ventures. It is chiefly known for its tech sector work, but the practice has also been expanding into more niche sectors including agricultural sciences and recycling. The team is led by the experienced James Hsiao.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team’s strengths is its people and knowledge of both local and international regulations as it relates to cross border M&A transactions. The team is proactive and quick to respond. But most importantly, they give excellent bilingual advice and formal written opinions quickly, and in both English and Chinese.’
‘James Hsiao is not just an exceptional M&A lawyer, he is a master negotiator… an iron fist, in a velvet glove! His knowledge of both the local regulations and international issues for cross-border transactions (China, HK, Taiwan, and USA) is impressive. He is super organized and is able to anticipate all key deal points and solutions in advance. He is a pleasure to work with and easily accessible.’
Rotam Global AgroSciences Limited
PCHOME ONLINE INC.
Poyun Co., Ltd.
Pau Jar Group (He Jhu Investment)
EQT IX fund
Shen’s (a subsidiary of Yuen Foong Yu Group)
- Advised Rotam Global AgroSciences Limited on its delisting and sale to Albaugh LLC, a privately owned US limited liability company.
- Advised the buyer (EQT IX fund) on its acquisition of Parexel International Corporation, a leading global clinical research organisation focused on the development and delivery of innovative new therapies to advance patient health.
- Advised Pau Jar Group (He Jhu Investment) on its acquisition of Taiwan Calsonic Co., Ltd., a company listed in the Taipei Exchanges.
Closely aligned with the firm’s consultancy and financial advisory arms, DTT Attorneys-At-Law serves a wide range of international clients on deal structures, share swaps and purchases, corporate restructuring, privatisation, and corporate governance, as well as IPO preparation and filing. Justin Chen , registered as a Japanese foreign affairs attorney, ensures the firm is particularly well-placed to handle Japanese transactions. Ingrid Chen specialises in corporate investments and mergers and acquisitions, while former Judge Sungmei Hsiung is noted for her work in IP. Show Chen leads the department’s Kaohsiung office. David Lin joined the firm at a partner level in August 2022, further strengthening the team.
Justin Chen; Ingrid Chen; Sungmei Hsiung; Show Chen; David Lin
‘The professional competence and attentive and friendly attitude of the lawyers of DTT allow us to complete our work very smoothly and efficiently. Ingrid Chen is excellent.’
Fortune Electric Co., Ltd.
Topco Quartz Products Co., Ltd.
Sentec E&E Co., Ltd.
Taiwan Wacoal Co., Ltd.
Phihong Technology Co., Ltd.
Ho Tai Motor Co., Ltd.
Ho Tai Development Co., Ltd.
Allied Supreme Corp.
Mitsumi Electric Co., Ltd.
- Assisted Topco Quartz Products Co., Ltd. in acquisition of General Precise Technology Company Ltd. and reviewed the share purchase agreement.
- Assisted Sentec E&E Co., Ltd. in a joint venture project with Diodes Group, reviewing the joint venture agreements and advising on local compliance issues.
- Assisted Taiwan Wacoal Co., Ltd. in selling its subsidiary in PRC and reviewed the share purchase agreement.
Advising an array of US and European multinationals, Eiger is regularly trusted as local counsel for complex, multi-jurisdictional, multi-party transactions. Clients benefit from the firm’s integration with its global branches and a diverse front bench of partners. John Eastwood is well regarded for his work on corporate and commercial matters, particularly in the technology, logistics and shipping spaces. Heather Hsiao‘s work in the energy, entertainment and telecoms sectors is a key asset for the firm. Wendy Chu and Holly Chu are both highly recommended at the associate level.
John Eastwood; Heather Tsiao
Other key lawyers:
Wendy Chu; Holly Chu
‘The team of Eiger Law headed by Holly Chu is extremely responsive, helpful and provides us with useful advice on the practical implications of the local laws and regulations. There is a very smooth collaboration between the different offices and locations, which is very nice for non-Asia based companies.’
‘Holly Chu is always available, very concrete and to the point in her advice and also takes into account the interests of the business.’
‘Extremely professional with the necessary capabilities to support complex cross-border investments and mergers.’
Major holding company
Several major energy companies
Premium motorcycle company
Major cargo company
Major North American media tech company
Leading European bank
Global manufacturer and marketer of consumer and professional products
- Advised Santera Limited on its acquisition of the Phoenix Technologies’ R&D department.
- Advising Subway on corporate maintenance matters.
Formosan Brothers Attorneys at Law
Working on a host of cross-border transactions, Formosan Brothers Attorneys at Law serves a broad range of domestic and foreign banks, technology companies and manufacturers.Yvonne Lin leads the department. She is joined by Li-Pu Lee , an experienced M&A lawyer with recent notable transactions in the investment banking, private equity, manufacturing, and technology spaces. Terry Tu handles syndicated loans, share acquisitions and asset financing issues, and holds a dual qualification in Taiwan and the US.
Yvonne Lin; Li-Pu Lee
Other key lawyers:
Terry Tu; Chiu-Hua Chen
Innovatus Law supplements its conventional work in M&A, joint ventures and corporate financing with innovative work in angel and venture capital investments, cryptocurrency compliance, and entertainment financing. Specialising in corporate governance and structuring, Chia-Heng Seetoo also boasts notable work handling IPOs and acquisitions in the technology space. Marine Yang has considerable experience representing Chinese and international entities in their Taiwanese business structuring and fundraising. Michael Scott’s dual-US and -Taiwan qualification is a key asset to the firm. Selwyn Vong is noted at the associate level.
Chia-heng Seetoo; Marine Yang; Michael Scott
Other key lawyers:
‘Through the efforts of Chia-heng Seetoo and Selwyn Vong, Innovatus Law have provided invaluable counsel as our business operations in Taiwan have grown in the last 4 years. They have provided excellent, timely and cost-efficient guidance on a variety of legal matters.’
‘Marine Yang is extremely efficient, calm, and down to earth. She understands what her clients want and will walk you through every step.’
Farglory Life Insurance Co., Ltd. / Farglory Group
KkDay.com International Company Limited
Venture Plus Fund
Foxsemicon Integrated Technology Inc.
- Acted as Taiwanese counsel for Stampede Ventures regarding its proposed investments in Taiwan.
- Advised Foxsemicon Integrated Technology Inc. on its US$58.3 million private placement invested by Applied Materials.
- Advised Kkday.com International Company Limited on its US$20 million Series C+ financing in early 2022.