Homburger acts for a varied client base, from traditional telecommunications and media companies to IT, fintech and crypto start-ups, with a broad spread of expertise and the ability to draw from the expertise of the firm's other departments for interdisciplinary matters, for example in a dispute resolution context. The practice boasts an enviable track record of transactions in the TMT sector. Georg Rauber, a transactions and litigation specialist, heads the TMT practice. Luca Dal Molin is noted for his expertise in software, IT and data protection matters and is experienced in technology transactions.
TMT in Switzerland
Other key lawyers:
Infront Sports & Media
Six (Swiss stock exchange)
Zur Rose Group
The Singularity Group
Silversmith Capital Partners
- Advised Avaloq Group and majority shareholders as global transaction counsel on the completion of NEC Corporation’s CHF2.05bn acquisition of Avaloq Group.
- Advising Axel Springer on the sale of its shares in the joint venture Ringier Axel Springer Media to Ringier.
Schellenberg Wittmer Ltd is particularly adept at advising on interdisciplinary matters requiring telecommunication, information technology, intellectual property as well as competition law expertise. The group has particular sector expertise in the retail, healthcare and life sciences, finance, banking as well as insurance industries where the practice advises on issues regarding emerging technologies as well as data privacy and data protection matters. The team, which has an impressive track record of advising on technology transactions, is headed by Roland Mathys, who also advises on software development, digital platforms and technology IP protection issues. Samuel Klaus' specialisms include outsourcing projects.
Other key lawyers:
Valentino, Zanotti, Prada, Loro Piana, LVMH Group and further global top end fashion brands
Husqvarna / Gardena
Lindt & Sprüngli
- Advised SIX Paynet AG on the sale of its B2B and B2C E-Invoicing Business to PostFinance AG.
- Advised Axpo Holding on the sale of Avectris AG, a Swiss IT service provider for medium-sized companies, to Swiss IT-provider GIA Informatik AG.
- Advised a group of Swiss private investors on their landmark acquisition of leading furniture and home appliance retailer Conforama Switzerland from its French parent company Conforama Holding, a subsidiary of Steinhoff International Holdings NV.
VISCHER‘s full-service TMT practice includes regulatory matters in the telecom and media sector, data security and data privacy, technology transfer arrangements, cloud-based software as a service offerings as well as fintech, smart energy and health IT. Rolf Auf Der Maur is considered ‘best in class‘, in particular with respect to his specialisms in digitalisation and online business matters. The advice of David Rosenthal ‘has huge practical value‘, among others when it comes to the ‘application of data protection implications in the litigation and investigation context‘.
‘David Rosenthal is a leader in the area of data protection. He has significant experience in the application of data protection implication in the litigation and investigation context. David Rosenthal provides valuable practical advice to navigate cooperations through the issue of cross-border transfers.’
‘Rolf Auf der Maur is best in class in Switzerland.’
‘Deep knowledge and experience around regulatory and data-related topics with focus on Switzerland, also including GDPR.’
‘Pragmatic, business-focused approach.’
University Hospital of Basel (USB)
Lucerne Cantonal Hospital (LUKS)
- Advised Netflix on Swiss copyright and regulatory matters.
- Advised over a dozen Swiss financial service institutions regarding moving to the ‘cloud’ in view of sensitive data and secrecy obligations, including negotiating clients’ contracts with Microsoft.
- Advised Hocoma on creating a worldwide network of health-care robots.
Walder Wyss Ltd. boasts ‘one of the strongest and largest TMT practice teams among Swiss law firms‘. Headed by David Vasella, the team represents clients in judicial proceedings, arbitral tribunals as well as in investigations by authorities and provides ‘constructive legal advice‘ on a wide range of TMT matters, such as fintech, software as a service, e-commerce and technology transfers – a specialism of Mark Reutter. Recently, the ‘super practical and responsive‘ unit has been particularly busy with cloud migration projects for clients from regulated industries, such as banks. Martin Zobl made partner at the beginning of 2022.
Other key lawyers:
‘Walder Wyss has one of the strongest and largest TMT and data protection practice teams among Swiss law firms. Walder Wyss has been specialising for many years in these areas and is certainly the place to go when it comes to TMT and data protection. In addition to the excellent quality of their work, I particularly like their responsiveness, efficiency and hands-on approach. They know the market and are on top of legal developments and business practices. Also, due to the quality and size of their practice team, they have the resources to assist clients very quickly and successfully handle large and complex assignments and projects.’
‘Jürg Schneider has in-depth legal knowledge with a view for important details, paired with the ability to think outside of the box and come up with practical solutions. He is particularly responsive, client-oriented and always a pleasure to work with. I can certainly recommend Jürg to anyone requiring high quality and precise yet business-oriented advice, in particular for complex and multifaceted TMT and data protection projects.’
‘Super practical and responsive.’
‘Really enjoy working with Jürg Schneider and his team.’
‘I know Walder Wyss as a law firm with a very broad skillset and a large highly qualified team for IT law in general.’
‘Jürg Schneider: great single point of contact, timely and pragmatic delivery, very knowledgeable. David Vasella: very pragmatic, to the point and constructive legal advice.’
‘Walder Wyss is using the latest technology in terms of data protection as they think that using said technologies will bring them experience to support the clients. This is in fact exactly what we are expecting from our lawyers when we hire them.’
‘David Vasella makes sure that the whole team can benefit from his knowledge and from the technologies he is using.’
Hitachi ABB Power Grids
Baker McKenzie advises on the full range of TMT issues, ranging from new media technology to traditional media and telecoms matters, including on such issues as regulatory compliance of new software and hardware products in a cross-border context, international data privacy and data protection, industry 4.0, technology M&A transfers and IT due diligence. The practice is headed by Alessandro Celli who is highly experienced in implementation projects concerning machine-to-machine communication processes and the internet of things as well as GDPR compliance programmes.
- Advised Intrum AG on the expansion of its client base for digital services for financial intermediaries.
Bär & Karrer Ltd. assists clients with the full range of TMT matters, including complex software contracts, IT joint ventures, technology transfers and outsourcing projects. The practice acts on regulatory matters for telecommunication companies and represents clients in judicial and arbitral proceedings, for example regarding media rights. The team is jointly headed by Michele Bernasconi, Jan Kleiner and Markus Wang with Bernasconi having a ‘deep specialisation in media and TMT matters related to sport‘, Kleiner ‘extensive experience‘ in the media, entertainment and data protection fields, and Wang a particular specialism in the life sciences and healthcare sectors.
‘What I value the most is the high profile and technical skills of the TMT team and the way they manage the matters. They are proactive, open-minded, and always eager to find solutions to solve the most complex problems. Quick reactions, deep knowledge of the client’s industry and tailor-made solutions for each of them. In deals and disputes, they are tough where necessary and flexible if the situation so requires, always with the aim to achieve the best for clients.’
‘Both Michele Bernasconi and Jan Kleiner are outstanding professionals with whom it is a pleasure to work. Michele is one of the references in the sector, not only in Switzerland but worldwide, with a deep specialization in media and TMT matters related to sport. Smart, excellent negotiator and with a transversal approach to each matter he is involved in. Jan’s legal skills and extensive experience in the sector are for us fundamental assets. 100% reliable and trustworthy attorneys.’
Gymnastics Ethics Foundation
Zermatt Tourism Board
European Athletics Association
- Acted as Swiss legal counsel to Zoom Voice Communications, Inc., an American communications technology company, on a broad variety of telecoms regulatory compliance matters.
- Acted as Swiss legal advisor to CVC Capital Partners (CVC) on the establishment of a partnership between CVC and the Fédération Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) and the creation of a newly founded joint venture, Volleyball World SA.
- Closely accompanied and advised the Tourism Board of Zermatt/Matterhorn on its ongoing efforts to digitalise all its internal processes, in particular the handling of personal data of all tourists in the destination, including advice on national and international data protection laws, contract law, employment, etc.
id est avocats sàrl has particular experience in new technologies and new vertical industries and frequently advises clients, including start-ups and established players, from the fintech, insurtech, mobility, media, health and data fields on issues pertaining to artificial intelligence, blockchain, deeptech as well as cybersecurity, offering the ‘right mix of industry and technology expertise‘. Michel Jaccard is an ‘expert in the area of IT-outsourcing‘ as well as information technology generally. Juliette Ancelle advises on technology and media matters, with particular expertise in social media, and represents clients in judicial proceedings.
‘The team of id est avocat has the right mix of industry and technology expertise, best practice expertise in handling highly complex outsourcing agreements with the ability to think outside of the box when necessary.’
‘Michel Jaccard is one of the greatest experts in the area of IT outsourcing I ever had the pleasure to work with. He provided excellent legal advice in a highly complex case.’
‘The human qualities of the team members, the listening skills, the involvement of the partner and the undeniable quality of the outputs stand out.’
‘They are interested in the issue, the cases, not just the money.’
The TMT practice of Lenz & Staehelin offers a wide range of transactional and regulatory advice, with clients including national and international telecommunication enterprises, broadcasters and regulated entities such as banks, insurance companies, securities dealers and audit firms. The firm has a particularly strong track record of advising on technology transactions and outsourcing arrangements, a specialism of practice heads Guy Vermeil and Lukas Morscher, with the the latter being cited as ‘one of the best IT lawyers on the market‘. The ‘outstanding team‘ is further adept at representing clients before regulatory authorities.
‘Quick and efficient.’
‘When meeting the team, you feel the very good relationship and interaction between colleagues, which makes you feel comfortable because you know they all will be only focused on solving your problem.’
‘Highly capable people, very good, very knowledgeable, but at the same time very nice and kind, patient and taking all the time needed to clearly explain you all legal and business issues or impact, taking the time to ‘brainstorm’ with you. Highly professional behaving like trusted friends.’
‘Solid competence under different aspects, the people are reachable, have a pragmatic way of work, demonstrate solution-oriented behavior, and offer fair price conditions.’
‘Outstanding team: business-oriented, very skilled, totally professional.’
‘Lukas Morscher is one of the best IT lawyers on the market.’
Banque Cramer & Cie SA
Carlo Gavazzi Group
Caterpillar Insurance Co.
Sopra Steria SE
- Advised a global reinsurance group of companies on regulatory and transactional aspects, structuring and negotiations for a long-term strategic collaboration for reinsurance of insurance portfolios of a major Swiss insurance company.
- Advised a Swiss-based FINMA-regulated global asset manager on its procurement of integrated middle office outsourcing services and front office software-as-a-service solution on transactional, governance and regulatory aspects.
- Advised a Swiss group of social security institutions on the legal and regulatory aspects of negotiating and restructuring a joint venture with other major institutions for the development and licensing of core industry solutions.
Following the merger that formed MLL Meyerlustenberger Lachenal Froriep Ltd in July 2021, the practice is jointly headed by ‘thought leader‘ Nicola Benz and ‘top TMT lawyer‘ Lukas Bühlmann. The team covers a comprehensive range of TMT matters, including regulatory and contractual issues, litigation and transactions, with Bühlmann specialising in cross-border e-commerce projects and digital economy generally as well as in data protection. Benz focuses on outsourcing, licensing, joint ventures and collaborations and associated intellectual property matters. Reinhard Oertli, Ronald Kogens and Michael Reinle round off the team’s expertise with internet, fintech and cloud computing specialisms.
‘Nicola Benz’ clarity of thought and empathy is a rare commodity in the legal sector. Not only is Nicola a key thought leader, she exemplifies the highest standard in all aspects of engagement with clients, and it is clear this extends to the team she commands. Cornelia Mattig: WOW – sharp, witty, a wonderful scholar of law, and gives very precise and clear guidance. A trusted partner, and a true warrior in ensuring the best is given at all times. Very much appreciated by us.’
‘The TMT practice at MLL is very active in observing technological trends and developments. The team is very diverse, including women in partner positions and equal chances for employees. The partners are very attentive and responsive and clients can rely on prompt responses.’
‘The individuals at MLL combine excellent expertise with international connections to other professionals in other jurisdictions. All professionals are responsive and have reliable legal knowledge. Lukas Bühlmann has a thorough knowledge of the law and technological developments, is always amiable and identifies his clients’ needs. He is a top TMT lawyer with broad expertise and long experience.’
‘Cornelia Mattig is experienced in dispute resolution in competition and technology law with a practical approach and good communication.’
‘Reinhard Oertli is a very experienced and talented lawyer, who is able to handle the most difficult matters of the IP law. He possesses vast knowledge in his field. His approach is custom-tailored, he studies the presented question in detail, and at the same time, he possesses the ability to present very complicated and nuanced issues in a vivid and simple way.’
‘MLL Meyerlustenberger Lachenal Froriep Ltd. is one of the most reputable international law firms in Switzerland. The firm’s experienced and dynamic lawyers offer innovative and solution-focused services. The team unites some of the most reputed experts in all legal aspects related to technology, telecommunication, and media. Its strong practice in data privacy makes it a first stop for issues around digitalisation in the technology, telecommunication, and media area in Switzerland.’
‘Lukas Bühlmann is an extremely far-sighted lawyer who always tries to keep an eye on the whole picture and take future developments into account. He is very careful in his legal researches and has a deep understanding of economics. Lukas Bühlmann is an expert in TMT, IP/IT, data privacy and data protection and certainly one of the most experienced lawyers in Switzerland in this area! Nicola Benz: is very easily approachable, has an excellent understanding of commercial factors, is experienced in her field, offers quick response times and has a straightforward approach to problems. She’s easy to work with and talk to – even in respect to sensitive matters and client relationships. Michael Reinle is available, responsive and business-oriented. He is a true expert in his field!’
‘Michael Reinle has not only shown extraordinary expertise, he has also demonstrated excellent soft skills in handling difficult situation.’
International Trade Center (ITC)
British American Tobacco (BAT)
Herzog & de Meuron Basel Ltd.
Kantonsspital St. Gallen (KSSG)
Titlis Bergbahnen AG
Stratus Schweiz AG
FIFA (Fédération internationale de football association)
International Commission of Jurists
- Advised on IT-related matters in the course of the launch of a new digital bank in Switzerland.
- Acted as external legal counsel for all matters connected with Avobis’ digitalization strategy.
- Advised the third-largest public hospital in Switzerland on data protection and digital health technologies.
Niederer Kraft Frey AG acts on technology procurement, development, contractual, regulatory and compliance issues and is known for the particular expertise in telecommunications matters. With a background as a software engineer, ‘outstanding professional‘ András Gurovits has particular knowledge of the IT industry and specialises in e-commerce matters and M&A transactions involving technology. Key areas of expertise of the ‘excellent‘ Clara-Ann Gordon are outsourcing projects, data protection matters, including audits and compliance, as well as internal investigations and court proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
‘Clara-Ann Gordon and Patrik Peyer are excellent partners. They are highly qualified and working with them is not only successful, but also fun.’
‘Competent, use of top notch technology, available.’
‘At Niederer Kraft and Frey, we get within very short time frames all the needed services, resources or information we request. The whole cooperation is based on flexibility and supportive minds. We work with our prime contact partner, who integrates others transparently where needed.’
‘Clara-Ann Gordon has been supporting us perfectly in all our needs/questions from day zero onwards. With her, I feel for the first time that a lawyer can be real partner in difficult situations. Thank you!’
‘The firm has an inclusive approach and meets internal counsel on equal terms.’
‘High knowledge, very friendly approach. Andras Gurovits is an outstanding professional.’
World Economic Forum
Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.
Selecta (European market leader in unattended self-service coffee and convenience food solutions in the workplace and in public spaces)
Mercury Engineering Ltd
- Advised NEC Corporation on an acquisition by way of auction of Avaloq, a global leader in digital banking solutions.
- Acted as Swiss counsel to Microsoft Corporation on the negotiations of a collaboration agreement for Mixed Reality research with ETH Zurich, especially in relation to the design of the contracts on which the cooperations are based, with a focus on security and data protection.
- Acted as Swiss legal counsel to Huawei on the acquisition of a Swiss technology provider, covering all M&A and corporate aspects as well as shareholders matters.
CMS‘ key strengths are IT procurement and sourcing, fintech, electronic health and insurtech, digital transformation and software matters as well as data privacy and protection. The practice is headed by ‘outstanding professional‘ Dirk Spacek, who is experienced in IT technology matters, such as cloud computing, e-commerce and artificial intelligence and is lauded for ‘providing tactical and strategic guidance as well as a legal opinion‘. Alain Raemy has a focus on corporate transactions and competition law. Tina Balzli joined as partner from PwC Switzerland in July 2021.
‘The collaboration was excellent. Dirk Spacek essentially became a member of our team, providing tactical and strategic guidance as well as a legal opinion.’
‘Competent, hard-Working, focused Lawyers. Commitment to Quality, collegiality and esprit de corps, best-informed about new technologies.’
‘All data protection review or projects are set up in a way that is understandable for everyone. Other competitors speak only ‘law’ language.’
‘Well connected, exceptionally well prepared, always up to date. Straightforward communication.’
‘Dirk Spacek is an outstanding professional.’
‘Dirk Spacek: great know-how, good presentation of the facts.’
Aon Schweiz AG
Web 3.0 Foundation
Mobile Health AG
Karl Vögele AG
- Advised Aon Schweiz AG on a major software-licensing dispute and the contractual negotiation of a long-term settlement and licensing agreement, including coordinating IT-litigation efforts in the Netherlands.
- Advised Commerzbank AG on various data privacy and general data-related legal matters, in particular relating to the procurement and deployment of newest technologies.
- Advised Mobile Health AG on an ongoing basis in connection with Consilium Care™, an electronic Patient Reported Outcomes (ePRO) SaaS system, which includes the CE-marked MDD Class I medical device, Pro Care, including IP protection (including trade mark protection) and data protection matters, and the drafting of the necessary online-T&C’s and standard agreements with all involved parties.
Digital Lawyer & Counsel (DLC)
In mid-2021 Alesch Staehelin left TIMES Attorneys to open his own practice Digital Lawyer & Counsel (DLC). The new entry on the market already attracts top notch clients from various industries, such as multinational players from the IT, automotive, aeronautic and industrial manufacturing sectors. Staehelin himself has a background as in-house counsel for a large international IT company and assists with a wide range of regulatory, compliance, contractual and dispute resolution matters in TMT and media law.
- Represented the defendant in litigation regarding the the copyright protection of ‘API’ (Application Programming Interfaces) under Swiss law.
- Rendered legal advice and drafted several agreements (assignment of rights, licensing of software) for a large multinational insurance company with corporate HQ in Switzerland regarding the acquisition of an innovative software company; assistance with M&A transactions and due diligence.
- Advised a Swiss music distribution company on the commercial exploitation of copyrighted works in music and related entertainment fields; reviewing the company’s general terms and conditions; assisting with new music distribution channels; advising of IT aspects of the monetisation of copyrights, i.e., in connection to innovative technological tools used for the music licensing.
The TMT practice of Kellerhals Carrard is jointly headed by Daniel Alder, Daniel Emch and Nicolas Mosimann and acts in contentious and non-contentious matters with a focus on businesses’ IT strategies, including the IT aspects of due diligence on transactions and joint ventures. Clients include a broad variety of companies, from internet service providers and telecommunication companies to manufacturers of technological components as well as numerous tech start-ups that benefit from the firm’s dedicated start-up desk.
Magnolia International AG
Swiss Broadcasting Company (SRG SSR)
- Advised Magnolia International Ltd on all corporate, licensing and data protection matters.
- Advised Swiss Broadcasting Company SRG SSR on telecommunication and antitrust matters.
Pestalozzi is particularly experienced in advising domestic and international clients on issues concerning IT services. The caseload includes IT outsourcing, software licensing, data privacy and protection, online advertisement and e-commerce matters. The healthcare and banking sectors feature prominently in the group's caseload in regulated sectors. Michèle Burnier has particular expertise in matters involving intellectual property, including unfair competition, advertising and e-commerce matters. Thomas Legler, also an intellectual property specialist, is an experienced arbitrator.
Johnson & Johnson group of companies
Boutique Sigma Legal is highly specialised in technology and innovation law and acts for a large number of start-ups and established Swiss and international enterprises on various TMT matters concerning, among others, IT contracts, cybersecurity and intelligence services, data privacy, e-commerce and social media issues. The unit further advises and represents clients from the media sector, including TV and print, and has a specialisation in advising non-profits and international organisations. Adrien Alberini heads the practice.
‘I always have a sense of comfort when the Sigma team is handling my legal issues. Not only are they extremely responsive to any query we may raise, but they also have the ability to understand and focus on our operational needs and peek around the corner. They alert me to any potential problems we may face in short mid-term.’
‘I love working with them. I am never disappointed. They are always available. They include junior staff who are also very effective and competent.’
‘The team has a strong emphasis on client needs and knows how to combine the legal side with the business side. The team understands the difference between quick reviews and long analyses and makes sure to bill according to the client needs.’
‘They are flexible, motivated and thorough. They always make sure to respond to your questions, but also bring their own input.’
‘Besides an amazing grasp of very complex IP issues, Sigma also demonstrates expertise in related fields, making them a very reliable partner when it comes to adjacent issues.’
‘Adrien Alberini: very high level of expertise and insight, excellent handling of complex issues through pragmatic and very concrete solutions, fabulous client relationship, and optimal responsiveness to tight deadlines.’
‘Extensive experience in and in-depth knowledge of data privacy, data protection and data security issues, including the development of tailor-made policies. Capable of expertly handling international data privacy, data protection and data security issues, across multiple jurisdictions in multiple languages. Extremely fast turn-around time by a diverse group of lawyers with expertise in multiple areas. Extensive network of contacts.’
‘Apart from their excellent legal expertise and high-quality legal advice, we were particularly struck by their commitment which markedly distinguishes them from competitors.’
State of Geneva
World Health Organization
Casino du Lac Meyrin SA (affiliate of Partouche Group)
TX Group SA
The New Humanitarian
Electronic Monitoring Association
Hôpital de La Tour SA
Fondation Asile des aveugles (Hôpital Ophtalmique Jules-Gonin)
Liris Tech SA
Play Magnus Group
Electric & IT SA
Non-Violence Licensing SA / Non-violence Project Foundation
Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance (DCAF)
- Assistance to the State of Geneva (Department of Territory) in relation to its smart city strategy (“Smart Geneva”).
- Representation of TX Group, one of the largest media companies in Switzerland, in all disputes relating to the media operated by the Group and, in particular, in various high-profile actions engaged by politicians against newspaper articles published on controversial activities carried out by said politicians. Also, representation of journalists working for TX Group in disputes (including criminal matters) relating to papers they have published.
- Regular assistance to Casino du Lac Meyrin SA/Pasino, the Swiss affiliate of Partouche Group, in relation to its e-gaming platform.
Thouvenin Rechtsanwälte is adept at handling regulatory proceedings and compliance issues for clients from various TMT backgrounds, especially the telecommunications and new technologies markets. Additionally, the group demonstrates strength in M&A transactions involving technology companies and has considerable experience in tech-related litigation and arbitration. Katia Favre, who has a background in computer sciences with specialisms in data protection and outsourcing matters, is the head of the team. Clients feel that ‘her extended expertise in ICT and data protection law makes her very valuable‘.
‘The firm’s core strength lies in the great expertise in ICT regulatory matters and in understanding the implications of regulation on corporations.’
‘Katia Favre is a highly skilled and experienced lawyer who has a profound insight in ICT regulatory issues and a very good understanding of client requirements.’
‘Extraordinary financial and IT-legal support. Very innovative and reliable.’
‘Fast and expert support in all legal matters.’
‘Great understanding of IT law, quick and on-point consulting, reliable and trustworthy people,’
‘Katia Favre communicates very clearly and focuses entirely on the client’s interests.’
‘Thouvenin’s TMT team provides practical advice on a broad spectrum of IT and privacy matters. We have direct access to the competent experts for our specific needs. As a client, we feel very valued.’
‘Katia Favre has a broad understanding of her clients’ needs and a hands-on approach, good communication and interpersonal skills. The combination of her extended expertise in ICT and data protection law makes her very valuable and we highly recommend her.’