Homburger’s TMT practice has an enviable track record in advising on large and complex transactions. The team's client roster is comprised of companies from the financial services, pharmaceuticals and IT sectors, which it advises on the full range of advisory, transactional and litigation work, including regulatory issues, administrative proceedings, applications for regulatory licenses, spin-offs, carve-outs and post-closing integration issues. 'Stand-out partner' Georg Rauber heads up the practice and is experienced in transactions and representing clients in arbitration and litigation proceedings, particularly in the IT, technology licensing, transfer and telecoms areas. 'Excellent practitioner' Luca Dal Molin was made partner in 2020.
TMT in Switzerland
Other key lawyers:
Luca Dal Molin; Gregor Bühler
‘Very client focused combined with pragmatic approach.’
‘Very knowledgeable team that supports us with our technology companies. We are set up across three different continents with global customers and the expertise in Homburger helping us to navigate the global complexity is impressive.’
‘Stand out partners are Georg Rauber and Luca Dal Molin.’
‘Good lawyers, which do understand their business. Very capable to guide through complex contract negotiations. Able to fight when necessary.’
‘Good sense of humour, even under stress quick thinking.’
‘Highly knowledgeable, engaged, subject matter experts.’
‘Gregor Bühler is our main contact in the TMT practice area. He has been proactive, always available, practical and very knowledgeable not only with respect to legal technicalities but also very familiar with the forum. As a partner, he really shows the client that he is there for the business 24/7, commits to a high-quality legal product and delivers always as promised.’
‘Key is their accessibility. You not only get attention at the beginning, but you get quick results and also the next steps are covered. This is extremely important when you are under time pressure. Homburger adapts to your schedule and not the other way round, as is often the case with some firms.’
‘Georg Rauber certainly stands out and is very well respected by his peers. He follows a practical approach when problems have to be solved. But he does not neglect the academic side of the profession and approaches unsolved questions with a fresh view.’
‘Highly attentive, personal approach, comprehensive, knowledgeable.’
Infront Sports & Media
Six (Swiss stock exchange)
Zur Rose Group
The Singularity Group
Silversmith Capital Partners
- Advised SIX on its new open banking platform b.Link.
- Advised ABB on the separation of the power grids business and the completion of its $11bn divestment to Hitachi.
- Advised Silversmith Capital Partners and Appfire Technologies on the acquisition of Beecom Products.
The TMT practice at Schellenberg Wittmer Ltd acts for clients from a variety of sectors, including the financial services, pharmaceuticals and life sciences, retail and construction industries, handling a broad array of contentious and non-contentious issues. The team combines expertise in telecoms, IT, competition and IP law to provide advice on information and communication technology transactions, public procurements, cooperation agreements, data protection work, cyber investigations and dispute resolution. Practice head Roland Mathys advises on software development, outsourcing and licensing mandates; Lorenza Ferrari Hofer, who joined in 2020 from Pestalozzi, and Samuel Klaus are further key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Lorenza Ferrari Hofer; Samuel Klaus
BEKB / Berner Kantonalbank
NBK Banque Privée
Valentino, Zanotti, Prada, Loro Piana, LVMH Group and further global fashion brands
Ascensia Diabetes Care
Paul Scherrer Institute
Husqvarna / Gardena
Pandemic Taskforce of the Information Security Society Switzerland (ISSS)
- Advised BEKB on its comprehensive IT, banking platform, and business process outsourcing activities and supported on contract negotiations with different providers.
- Advised FAIRTIQ on all its technology law and data privacy related matters.
- Advised Pax, one of the largest life and pension insurance companies in Switzerland, on its outsourcing, data protection and regulatory matters.
VISCHER provides ‘first-class legal advice’ to various TMT clients in the media and entertainment sector as well as regulated sectors, including the pharmaceuticals and financial services industries. The team has particular expertise in matters concerning data protection and security issues, including GDPR regulations and cloud-based data storage mandates, cross-border transactions and IT sourcing work. Rolf Auf der Maur specialises in digitalisation projects and online businesses, and David Rosenthal, who joined in mid-2020, handles IT matters with notable expertise in data privacy and e-discovery work. Christian Wyss focuses on IP and IT transactions.
Rolf Auf der Maur; David Rosenthal
Other key lawyers:
‘Vischer, and in particular Rolf Auf Der Maur, are a pleasure to work with because they have a deep understanding of the market and the dynamics of a quickly developing industry. Thus, they are able to provide very practical advice which does not only consider the legal framework but also business requirements.’
‘The ability to both provide first-class legal advice and combine it with a clear understanding of business needs and processes in a fast changing environment, is a particular strength of partner Rolf Auf der Maur.’
‘They bring knowledge in all legal fields relevant for us and also have the contacts to foreign law firms.’
‘We mainly work with David Rosenthal and appreciate his uncomplicated way of working. He is very responsive and return calls are made on the same day. His recommendations have been applied to our business and therefore offer real added value.’
- Advised Netflix on its Swiss copyright and regulatory issues.
- Advised various financial service, telecoms and healthcare providers in Switzerland on how to move highly sensitive data to the cloud – despite the US CLOUD Act.
- Advised Hocoma on creating a worldwide network of healthcare robots.
Walder Wyss Ltd.’s TMT practice has particular experience in the financial services sector, acting for established financial institutions, credit card issuers and start-ups on financial technology projects. The team, which frequently draws on internal cross-departmental groups, has ‘excellent know-how’ and handles multi-stream projects, including advising on GDPR compliance for domestic clients, technology transactions and TMT litigation. Mark Reutter specialises in structuring, negotiating and implementing TMT projects and general contractual matters; Michael Isler focuses on outsourcings, technology transfers and platform projects; and David Vasella focuses on Swiss and EU data protection matters, including compliance implementation projects. Monique Sturny made partner in 2021.
Mark Reutter; Michael Isler
Other key lawyers:
David Vasella; Monique Sturny
‘Very experienced, hands on, swift in reply, excellent know-how.’
Zurich Insurance Group
- Advised Migros, the largest Swiss retailer, on its ongoing implementation of the GDPR and the revised Swiss data protection act throughout the group.
- Advised Aduno and Cashgate on the sale of Cashgate to Cembra Money Bank, including a comprehensive transitional service arrangement that includes the use of data and marketing services for an extended time before full integration of Cashgate in Cembra Money Bank.
- Advised the Kinderspital Zurich, the largest university children’s hospital in Switzerland, on its intended move and migration from its current core clinical system to a new G3 native clinical core system with respect to the structuring of the deal and contractual setting and negotiated the set of contracts with the provider CGM (Compu Group Medical).
Bär & Karrer Ltd. advises various TMT clients with particular experience in acting for telecoms and IT companies as well as sporting entities. The team handles regulatory, contractual, contentious and transactional matters, with a strong track record in M&A transactions, joint ventures in the IT and telecoms sectors, and regulatory and contractual issues, where it acts for internet providers, cable network providers and telecoms companies. Michele Bernasconi, who is singled out as ‘one of the leading lawyers in the TMT field worldwide’, heads up the practice with Markus Wang. Jan Kleiner is another key contact to note.
Michele Bernasconi; Markus Wang
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly efficient and professional TMT practice.’
‘Michele Bernasconi stands out as the key partner to go to for TMT support.’
‘The team’s technical level is extraordinary, as well as the lawyers’ knowledge about the TMT business, not only about legal stuff. They are reliable, reactive and provide an excellent service whenever you need them.’
‘Michele Bernasconi is, without hesitation, one of the leading lawyers in the TMT field worldwide and a reference for us: smart, practical and extremely easy-going. Someone on whom you can count, especially in complex deals and disputes.’
Zurich Insurance Company Ltd
Elvaston Capital Management
- Advised UEFA on a range of media-related matters, including acting in large-scale international arbitration proceedings in relation to TV rights agreements.
- Advised Cellnex Telecom on its acquisition of 90% of the shares in Salt’s passive mobile infrastructure business from Salt Mobile.
- Assisted Zurich Insurance Company Ltd with its investment in Swiss start-up autoSense.
The TMT practice at Baker McKenzie offers a broad array of advice and is particularly experienced in regulatory issues, acting for clients in the new and traditional media sectors as well as telecoms companies. Group head Alessandro Celli focuses on Swiss data protection and GDPR compliance matters and advises on the structuring and implementation of new multi-jurisdictional privacy and compliance programs; he recently acted for key clients in the technology, financial services and telecoms sectors. The team also advises on a range of contractual issues and assists clients with outsourcing projects and joint ventures.
‘Efficient and pragmatic way of working.’
‘Very solution oriented and excellent business understanding.’
- Advised Intrum AG on the expansion of it’s client base for digital services for financial intermediaries.
id est avocats sàrl’ TMT practice is experienced in new technologies, including blockchain, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, financial technology and insurance technology products; it is also active in the media, software and life sciences sectors. The team, which works closely with the firm's IP, data protection and corporate practices, advises on cross-border technology deployment and integration projects and handles comprehensive risk assessments as well as agreements with universities for the development of new technology. Juliette Ancelle and Michel Jaccard jointly lead the group and focus on machine learning issues, cloud-based solutions, deeptech work as well as media mandates, including social media work.
Michel Jaccard; Juliette Ancelle
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
Fongit – Innovation Incubator
Fondation pour l’innovation technologique
DuPont Sustainable Solutions
Banque cantonale de Genève
International Baccalaureate Organisation
Association internationale des interprètes de conférence
- Advised the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics on drafting, reviewing and negotiating key and complex TMT agreements and assisted with the drafting of the template research consortium agreement to be used for projects funded by the Swiss Government through the Swiss Personalized Health Network.
- Advised Assura, the third largest health insurer in Switzerland, on the procurement of a new system for its core IT System.
- Assisted a leading retail bank in Switzerland with an agreement with a leading Swiss based IT & BPO provider for the bank’s IT infrastructure.
In the TMT field, Lenz & Staehelin assists clients stemming from the financial services and telecoms sectors with transactional and regulatory matters. The team also advises on outsourcing and re-insourcing matters, licensing issues, e-commerce work, international roaming mandates, public procurements, carve-outs and restructurings. Lukas Morscher heads up the Zurich office and is experienced in international transactions and business sourcing matters. Guy Vermeil leads the Geneva practice and focuses on corporate and M&A matters, including distressed M&A, while associate Lukas Staub focuses on outsourcing, data protection and e-commerce matters.
Lukas Morscher; Guy Vermeil
Other key lawyers:
‘Lenz & Staehelin have been able to attract and retain great talent, thus keeping up their excellent reputation on the market. Advice is always very sound and never stays on the surface of matters.’
‘Lukas Staub brings a good combination of intelligence, focus, balance and drive to the table which makes him an excellent negotiator with impressive stamina.’
‘Very knowledgeable around all things related to private and public cloud. Bridging the gap from existing simple local outsourcing scenarios to highly complex international outsourcing scenarios and bridging the gap from technology set-up to applicable data privacy and protection laws and compliance.’
‘Both Lukas Morscher and Lukas Staub were able to translate highly complex international outsourcing scenarios into clear and actionable legal and compliance advice. Lukas Morscher is an excellent sparring partner to discuss how to make things work in such environments.’
Banque Cramer & Cie SA
Carlo Gavazzi Group
Cembra Money Bank
Orange Business Services
Saxo Bank (Switzerland)
- Advised RobecoSAM, an affiliate of major Dutch investment manager Robeco, on the sale of its ESG ratings business to NYSE listed S&P Global.
- Advised a global audit firm on its procurement and use of Swiss cloud services for key business applications and data management.
- Advised a Swiss-based, FINMA-regulated global asset manager on its procurement of integrated middle office outsourcing services and front office SaaS solutions.
MLL Meyerlustenberger Lachenal Froriep Ltd’s TMT practice is experienced in all aspects of television work, video on demand issues and the distribution of content via the internet. The team regularly advises telecoms companies and clients in the luxury goods and e-commerce sectors on regulatory and copyright issues, data protection work, advertising matters including social media and influencer marketing mandates, IT outsourcings, licenses as well as transactional matters. Lukas Bühlmann is noted for his expertise in various aspects of the digital economy, while Reinhard Oertli is focused on cross-border issues, internet matters and contentious work. Michael Reinle is a key contact for IT, technology and data mandates. Nicola Benz is experienced in data protection work, commercial contracts, competition matters and regulatory issues, while Ronald Kogens specialises in fintech business models, the tokenisation of financial products, software developments, blockchain matters and cloud infrastructure mandates.
Reinhard Oertli; Lukas Bühlmann
Other key lawyers:
Michael Reinle; Nicola Benz; Ronald Kogens
‘Lukas Bühlmann and his team work very efficiently and have an outstanding knowledge of the law. They are able to understand complex matters very fast and can reach favourable solutions in no time.’
‘Lukas Bühlmann has a very good understanding of sophisticated digital innovations and is able to translate it into brief and to-the-point summaries. He has a very clear view on things and is always able to see the bigger picture behind it.’
‘The practice is characterised by in-depth knowledge of all IP-related matters, proactive approach to the situations and the ability to handle very complicated issues. The team is very friendly, open-minded and ready to tackle any challenging task, which is very important for such a fast-paced field. ’
‘Reinhard Oertli is a very experienced and talented lawyer, who is able to handle the most difficult matters. He possesses vast knowledge in this field. His approach is custom-tailored, he studies the presented question in great detail, and at the same time he possesses the ability to present very complicated and nuanced issues in a vivid and simple way. Reinhard Oertli can be recommended as an outstanding specialist in the field of IP law and a strategic thinker who is capable of solving the most difficult legal tasks.’
‘Fast, pragmatic, solution-oriented consulting.’
‘Ronald Kogens is a dynamic young lawyer with deep knowledge in his fields of activity.’
‘Can do attitude; the team identifies the goal and proposes solutions instead of problems. Good at recognising my goals, rather than just analysing processes.’
International Trade Center
British American Tobacco
Herzog & de Meuron Basel Ltd.
cereneo Schweiz AG
Kantonsspital St. Gallen
Psychiatrische Dienste Aargau AG
Poenina Managment AG
Kenwood / De Longhi
Titlis Bergbahnen AG
MME Legal | Tax | Compliance advises companies from the technology and telecoms sectors as well as banks and health care providers on a variety of TMT matters, including IP and data protection mandates. The team is well-versed in fintech, IT, gaming and distributed ledger technologies and assists with outsourcing, relocation and distribution projects as well as advising on contractual matters. Practice head Martin Eckert specialises in blockchain and software issues, while Michael Kunz acts on technology transfers and focuses on fintech mandates and the regulation of distributed ledger technologies.
Other key lawyers:
Sygnum Bank AG
- Advised Sygnum Bank AG on the establishment of the world’s first digital assets bank.
- Advised MY-D Foundation on a complex open-source licence project.
- Assisted Daura AG with the contractual elements of the set-up of a SaaS platform and IP/development framework for the first digital share platform in Switzerland.
Niederer Kraft Frey AG has a notable track record in M&A in the telecoms sector, regularly advising on large, cross-border transactions; it also assists with the regulatory and contractual aspects of corporate work as well as data protection mandates. The team is further experienced in matters pertaining to the internet of things, software as a service, artificial intelligence, blockchain and cryptocurrency projects. András Gurovits specialises in technology matters, industrial projects, and telecoms issues and is experienced in contentious work, while Clara-Ann Gordon focuses on data protection mandates, internal investigations, compliance issues and TMT transactions.
András Gurovits; Clara-Ann Gordon
Mediterranean Shipping Company MSC
Grasshopper Football Ltd
International Ice Hockey Federation
Mercury Engineering Ltd
- Acted as Swiss counsel to private equity investor Ardian on the cross-border acquisition of a majority stake in Swissbit Holding AG.
- Acted for Mitsubishi Corporation on its acquisition of a 25% minority stake in Bergé Automoción, S.L.
- Advised on the delivery and deployment of Bühler’s digital services and Internet of Things (IoT) solutions, particularly contractual work and data privacy and data security issues.
Arioli Law is a boutique firm focused solely on TMT law, and acts for traditional TMT clients, including telecoms providers, on various contentious and non-contentious TMT issues, including IT work, data protection mandates and software development matters. Practice head Martina Arioli has an in-house background at UBS Ltd and Zurich Insurance Company, enhancing the firm's expertise in the financial services sector.
CMS is experienced in negotiating and drafting contracts for IT procurements and sourcing issues as well as assisting with large, cross-border transactions. The team advises on various regulatory and corporate issues, including data protection work, and acts in litigation and arbitration proceedings. Practice head Dirk Spacek is experienced in fintech, e-commerce and cloud-computing matters and issues pertaining to robotics, heavy electrical equipment and automation technology. Alain Raemy focuses on competition law and corporate transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Outstanding legal expertise.’
‘Listen very carefully to our needs and very easily understand issues that are truly critical to us.’
‘Ability to grasp details of intricate technology with ease.’
‘Exceptional client service orientation in all aspects of communication and handling of our cases.’
‘Outstanding availability and engagement.’
‘Capacity to cover a broad spectrum of topics, international partner network.’
‘We came to appreciate Dirk Spacek as a very efficient, exceptionally effective as well as agile, entrepreneurial and very much responsible mind-set partner, who has outstanding legal expertise. Dirk Spacek has an incisive approach to litigation with an outstanding ability to deal with commercial disputes.’
Web 3.0 Foundation
Sunrise Communications Group AG
Mobile Health AG
- Advised Web 3.0 Foundation on data privacy and contractual matters regarding the establishment of (meta-) Blockchain-offerings and establishing contractual data sharing models.
- Advised Commerzbank AG on various data privacy and general data-related legal questions.
- Advised ABB on the acquisition of all shares in Cassantec Ltd (Cassantec), a software company operating out of Zurich and Berlin.
HDC is a boutique law firm specialising in IT mandates, including additional expertise in data privacy matters. The group counts private individuals, governmental organisations and SMEs as well as international corporations on its client roster, handling various TMT issues, including litigation. The practice also assists with outsourcing, software as a service, cryptocurrency and telecoms issues. Group head Sylvain Métille focuses on cybercrime matters including surveillance issues, and has extensive experience in GDPR compliance projects.
State Secretariat for Economic Affairs SECO
Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, EPFL
FIBA, the International Basketball Federation
Proton Technologies SA, Geneva
- Advised the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs SECO on the development of EasyGov, the national web-based platform for SMEs.
- Advised Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) on privacy and IT related matters.
- Advised FIBA, the International Basketball Federation, on the implementation of a complex and new ticketing project.
Kellerhals Carrard acts for various TMT clients, from small start-ups to multi-national corporations, on various matters, including tax, contractual, regulatory and litigation mandates. Headed up by Daniel Alder, Daniel Emch and Nicolas Mosimann, the team advises on issues pertaining to software developments, partnership agreements, software as a service matters, cloud computing work, licensings and data protection projects. Oliver Brupbacher joined in mid-2020 from an in-house role.
Daniel Alder; Daniel Emch; Nicolas Mosimann
Other key lawyers:
Magnolia International AG
Swiss Broadcasting Company (SRG SSR)
Vivendi / Groupe Editis / Interforum
- Advised Magnolia International Ltd on all corporate, licensing and data protection matters.
- Advised Swiss Broadcasting Company SRG SSR on telecoms and antitrust matters.
Pestalozzi acts for TMT clients on contentious and non-contentious matters and has particular experience in IT and data protection work. The team advises on data outsourcing, online distribution, advertisement, software licensing and e-commerce mandates, and also negotiates and drafts contracts. Thomas Legler advises on telecoms, data protection and media and entertainment issues and has experience in arbitration proceedings. Michèle Burnier specialises in data protection, IT and telecoms work and represents clients before civil and criminal courts. Lorenza Ferrari Hofer left the firm in 2020.
Thomas Legler; Michèle Burnier
‘The team is very competent in its field and the collaboration is always very efficient and goal-oriented. What makes Pestalozzi unique is that they exactly understand our needs and always delivered accurate content.’
‘The partner was always very easy to reach and the communication was very prompt and timely. I appreciate the pragmatic approach and the partner always delivered exactly what was agreed upon in advance. It is obvious that the partner is very experienced and outstanding in their respective field.’
Johnson & Johnson group of companies
Festival internazionale del Film Locarno
Boutique firm Sigma Legal focuses on technology and innovation law and advises an array of clients, from start-ups to multinational corporations as well as media companies, non-profit organisations, government entities and medical institutions. The team, which is headed up by Adrien Alberini, specialises in the IT sector and advises on software and app development issues, cybersecurity and investigation mandates as well as data protection and social media work.
Thouvenin Rechtsanwälte acts for clients from various sectors, including the IT, telecoms and productive industries, on TMT matters pertaining to blockchain, data protection, outsourcing and software as a service issues. The team assists with compliance, contractual and regulatory mandates and represents clients in litigation. Practice head Katia Favre is experienced in licensing matters, M&A and development work, telecoms compliance issues as well as litigation, data protection and lawful interception mandates.
‘The outstanding service, high-quality standards, deliveries on time, professionality.’
‘I work with Katia Favre who offers an outstanding legal service. I especially appreciate the high quality, the personal mental attitude connected with a real interest in the legal problems and the human beings. I can highly recommend this law firm.’
‘Great service at fair rates.’
‘I have worked with Katia Favre several times, who is an expert on IT law, cloud, outsourcing and many other subjects. She is very responsive, knowledgeable and helpful!’
‘Thorough knowledge of specialised telecoms laws combined with exceptional grasp of technology.’
‘Katia Favre is thorough, responsive, and provides informed advice that is practical and reliable.’
‘For the Swiss telecoms market, Thouvenin Rechtsanwälte KLG has the essential knowledge to support clients professionally, comprehensively and especially successfully.’
‘Extremely competent, service oriented and reliable, especially Katia Favre.’
- Swiss counsel to the Microsoft Corporation for a variety of advice on Swiss telecoms law, in particular assessing compliance prior to the launch of new products and services; also first point of contact for authorities for any telecoms issues.
TIMES Attorneys is a boutique firm specialising in IT, IP, data, media and entertainment work. Clients include start-ups as well as established corporations from various sectors, including the financial services, automotive and aviation industries. Alesch Staehelin left the firm in 2021.
‘Excellent advice with regard to Swiss data protection and privacy law; perfect combination of very deep knowledge with a pragmatic and straight-to-the-point approach. Very responsive.’
- Advised a Swiss medical device manufacturer on data protection and privacy issues and the drafting of the contractual package to be used with the client’s B2B customers in the pharmaceuticals industry.
- Assisted a major Austrian bank with the negotiations for a Software as a Service agreement with a Swiss IT services provider.
- Assisted a Dutch e-health provider with setting up its tele-medicine business in Switzerland, largely operated from abroad.