Clients of Cirio Advokatbyrå AB‘s life sciences, healthcare and food practice include some of the foremost international pharmaceuticals, medical devices and medtech companies. Counsel Odd Swarting is a prominent name in the field with a reputation for handling high-value M&A, joint ventures, licensing issues and other commercial contracts. Practice head Per Hedman is a valuable corporate practitioner in the digital health field, whereas senior counsel Anders Burén is highly sought after by early-stage biotech companies from Sweden and abroad. Recently recruited from Roschier, Hanna Tilus advises on IP and regulatory matters.
Healthcare and life sciences in Sweden
‘Cirio’s life sciences regulatory team have an in-depth knowledge of the market and the laws and are very responsive.’
‘Cirio are very professional and has deep knowledge in the area. They always put in 100% on the engagement and have no delays. The result is more than satisfying. They have a good coverage.’
‘A true pleasure to work with a very professional team.’
‘Anders Burén is a very experienced business lawyer and a real partner in negotiations. As a result, we were able to accomplish significant growth in our business.’
‘Cirio has the expertise to support a fast growing biotech company thought the different phases of company development. They can adjust their offering to the financial and managerial resources of the client. Cirio’s expertise and network within biotech is impressive.’
‘Per Hedman – great network and ability to find the right resources for the client. Solid general advice. Anders Burén – solid expertise in contract negotiations within pharmaceuticals. Very efficient.’
‘Per Hedman leads a stellar life sciences team who are at the cutting edge of new technologies and the legal issues manufacturers face. Level of responsiveness and engagement is second to none. The advice is always practical and digestible, solution focused and always looking around the corner. We thoroughly enjoy working with Per and his team – they are highly recommended.’
‘Per Hedman is fantastic – engaged, practical, solution focused and exceptionally knowledgeable. He is the go to in Sweden for life sciences and new technologies regulatory matters.’
Sprint Bioscience AB
GHP Specialty Care AB
- Advised 10x Genomics, a market leader in single-cell analysis technology, in connection with its acquisition of the Stockholm-based company CartaNA AB.
- Advised Hadean Ventures, a European life science fund manager, which was the lead investor in Swedish biotech Gesynta Pharma AB’s successful SEK190m fundraise, which constituted one of the largest private biotech placements in 2020 in the Nordics.
- Advised Sprint Bioscience AB in connection with a license agreement with US pharmaceutical company Deciphera Pharmaceuticals for global exclusive rights to Sprint Bioscience’s Vps34 program in cancer treatment.
Roundly praised by peers and clients alike, Mannheimer Swartling‘s healthcare and life sciences practice handles the full span of instructions for an international client roster. Led by Camilla Appelgren, the team advises on corporate transactions, capital markets issuances, regulatory matters, distribution work and IP issues. Instructing clients include companies operating in the pharmaceuticals, medical devices, cosmetics and nutrition sectors. Peter Nilsson is an ‘extremely knowledgeable’ team member at the associate level. Uniquely, the practice advises hospitals on a range of commercial and regulatory matters, including the handling of patient data.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has incredible strength and depth in experience and is a leader in this sector. Their strong experience and ability to deal with wide reaching and complex issues sets them apart from others.’
‘The life sciences team at Mannheimer is unique; all the benefits of a big full service law firm, but with a feeling of being as close to being an in-house counsel as is possible. Extremely competent and up to speed with the practical reality for a company in LS, as regards for example the reasoning, common practice and new trends of authorities and courts.’
‘They provide a wide range of services with special competence on each subject. An international perspective and network of partners that covers all of our needs. They proactively engage in our corporate development and plans to secure our legal situation and business.’
‘Our main contacts are Camilla Appelgren and Peter Nilsson that provide a very high availability and access to a quick advice as well as complicated partnering agreements. Their support was invaluable. Since they have deep and special insights in the life science field, the support is proactive and highly competent.’
‘Camilla Appelgren is an exceptional lawyer. Her experience and knowledge in the sector is excellent, coupled with a helpful and understanding manner, it makes her a pleasure to deal with.’
‘Attentive, pragmatic, good at exemplifying and communicating and making legal clauses tangible. Great competence of my line of business and even my company processes. Broad competence; life sciences specific but also data protection and IT related areas and contracts. Also very easy to collaborate with; friendly, easy to get in contact with and reach out to for topics small and big. Excellent support!’
‘Camilla Appelgren – young partner, letting some fresh air into the business. Extremely knowledgeable. Peter Nilsson – rising star, will be an extraordinary life science partner one day.’
‘Very knowledgeable team with specific sector expertise that is highly valuable to us.’
Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMS)
Swedish Orphan Biovitrum AB (Sobi)
Kry (aka LIVI)
Deciphera Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Assisting Bristol-Myers Squibb on a regular basis with advice relating to regulatory, commercial, pricing and reimbursement and healthcare compliance matters.
- Advised Deciphera Pharmaceuticals in connection with a licence agreement with Sprint Bioscience AB.
- Advised Inceptua in connection with an exclusive agreement with Elevar Therapeutics for the distribution and commercialization of Apealea (paclitaxel micellar) in Europe.
Setterwalls provides a full-service healthcare and life sciences offering which combines the expertise of leading partners across a number of key areas. Particularly impressive is Helena Nilsson‘s regulatory practice, as applied to issues of classification, authorisation, market access and distribution in strictly regulated industries including the cosmetics, medtech and food sectors. Marcus Nivinger, Jörgen Axelsson and Richard Hammarvid lead on the breadth of capital markets and corporate activity, and the practice also has an impressive IP element under Per Lidman and Martin Levinsohn, in regards to both commercial and contentious work.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Setterwalls always brings experience, energy and genuine interest to a project. They are relentless in the pursuit of the client’s objective. From the start, they display a thorough understanding not only regarding the technology involved but of the most pragmatic way forward. This interest and understanding also confers that more as a rule than an exception, they find new angles and arguments not covered by or included in the instructions provided.’
‘Top-quality team, very responsive and creative problem solver.’
‘The team are highly professional while still personal in their communication. This allows them to recognize our needs and translate them in to sound advice and services. They have a collaborative way of working allowing them to allocate the right competency needed for each assignment.’
‘The team has a strong track record within and outside the field of life sciences. They have an interdisciplinary approach and are highly skilled and professional. They proved to us that they have a strong global network of partnering law firms in various territories, among others. They always walk the extra mile and always think of the best possible outcome for the customers product(s)/asset(s)/company.’
‘Helena Nilsson: Practice: very good knowledge about Swedish Pharma market and legal environment; high responsiveness and to-the-point work results.’
‘Martin Levinsohn at Setterwalls has an impressive knowledge and understanding about legal strategies based on the factual circumstances.’
‘Hanna Sonning and Richard Hammarvid, accessible at all times. Understand the start-up arena and the need for agreements that will cover a range of future scenarios.’
‘The individual team members are customer focused and very attentive to any input given. The result is a highly adaptive and flexible deliveries. Our main contact, Richard Hammarvid, while delivering high quality services stemming from expert knowledge, still maintains a close collaborative and easily accessible interface to us in every inquiry we bring. This level of service enables a professional partnership which tends our every need.’
Promore Pharma AB
Moberg Pharma AB
Apoteksgruppen i Borrby
Nordic Trading Group
- Advising Nordic Trading Group on its appeal of the Medical Products Agency’s decision to prohibit online sales of CBD products to consumers in Sweden.
- Advising Orifarm on its acquisition of Takeda’s portfolio, including merger control aspects.
- Advised innovative biotech company Isofol Medical AB when entering into its first definitive license agreement with Solasia Pharma K.K, a specialised oncology company headquartered in Japan, to develop and commercialize Isofol’s proprietary late-stage drug candidate arfolitixorin in Japan.
With a particular emphasis on the pharmaceuticals and biotech industries, Advokatfirman Vinge‘s life sciences and health group advises on licensing and collaboration agreements, IP matters, all forms of regulatory issues, distribution agreements and the breadth of corporate transactions. Håkan Borgenhäll leads on high-stakes patent litigation for leading global corporates, including Eli Lilly’s high-profile validity dispute relating to the patented use of the pharmaceuticals product Alimta. Practice head and counsel Stojan Arnerstål is regularly engaged on large commercialisation projects, while Johan Cederblad is the go-to partner for regulatory appeals.
‘Vinge has a great ability to provide the right team of lawyers to ensure that the client is provided with the highest standard of expertise in the various legal areas involved, while maintaining simple and effective communication with the client.’
‘Stojan Arnerstål has excellent skills in matters related to IP and global patent licensing agreements. He has a business minded approach, listens carefully to the needs of the client and is very easy to work with.’
Eli Lilly and Company
The Founders of Distriktstandvården
Järven Plast & Smide Aktiebolag
- Represented Eli Lilly and Company in a patent infringement and validity dispute relating to the client’s patented use of the pharmaceuticals product Alimta, where the opposite party was Fresenius Kabi.
- Advised BioGaia on the directed share issuance of approximately SEK1.1bn through an accelerated bookbuild offering.
- Advised Vimian Group AB and the principal shareholder Fidelio Capital AB on a private placement and subsequent listing on Nasdaq First North Growth Market.
Westerberg & Partners
Highly active in the IP and regulatory spaces, Westerberg & Partners‘ life sciences and healthcare department advises on large-scale patent and trade mark litigation, pricing negotiations, public procurements and product launches. Group co-heads Jonas Löfgren, Jonas Westerberg and Henrik Wistam continue to be instructed by some of the largest multinational corporates operating in Sweden. A major aspect of the practice relates to complex issues of patent expiry and generic pharmaceuticals distribution; the team has also recently handled big-ticket brand portfolio acquisitions.
‘Westerberg has a strong competence in pharma deals/pharmaceutical portfolio transactions and also cosmetics transactions. They have done many of these and, combined with their strength in the IP field, they handle these matters with professionalism, swiftness and ease.’
‘Jonas Löfgren – Service minded and sharp adviser on M&A transactions with a lot of experience particularly in pharma and IP transactions. Always available when needed and understands what is important and not.’
‘Extremely responsive, know their stuff, practical advice, very easy to work with.’
‘Jonas Löfgren is very easy to work with and gives user friendly and practical advice.’
- Acting for Illumina in a multitude of parallel proceedings regarding infringement and validity of patents in the DNA sequencing field.
- Advised Karo Pharma on a €84m OTC brand portfolio acquisition from Teva Pharmaceuticals, one of the largest pharma transactions in Sweden in 2020.
- Acting for Novartis in the first two Swedish trade mark cases concerning parallel importation of medicinal products under the EU Falsified Medicines Directive, which recently came into force.
Baker McKenzie handles a range of work in the healthcare space, notably M&A transactions, IPOs and IP and trade secret issues. Representative of the latter, the team is currently engaged by a medical devices company on a suite of disputes relating to high-tech ray therapy devices. Further stand-out clients for co-heads Peder Oxhammar and Anders Fast include global medtech and pharmaceuticals corporations; Oxhammar also deals with marketing law issues in the digital healthcare space.
KRY (Webbhälsa AB)
Citigroup and Carnegie
- Assisted Stada AG, a leading manufacturer of high-quality pharmaceuticals, with its acquisition of Lobsor Pharmaceuticals, a Swedish-based provider of innovative therapy used for treating late-stage Parkinson’s disease.
- Advised medtech group Implantica on its cross-border IPO.
- Advising C-Rad on a series of patent and trade secrets cases relating to technology concerning high-tech ray therapy devices.
Recent instructions for the healthcare and life sciences group at Advokatfirman Cederquist KB include share issuances in the pharmaceuticals sector, acquisitions in the retail health space and general regulatory guidance. The team benefits from co-head Annika Blomqvist‘s public procurement expertise, which is regularly applied to contentious and transactional matters. Fellow co-head Malin Allard provides marketing and IP law expertise. The medical devices industry is a highly active field for the group.
Other key lawyers:
‘Flexibility, timely, knowledgeable, pragmatic, empathic. See to the full picture when presenting a solution/contract/set-up. Future-looking collaboration, seek solutions for new situation.’
‘Extremely good contact and engagement in the cause. Swift and accurate feedback on the topic, fast to understand the environment and the product landscape applicable.’
Alcon Nordic A/S
If Skadeförsäkring AB
Olink Proteomics AB
Camfil Svenska AB
- Assisting one of Sweden’s largest insurance companies, If Skadeförsäkring, in complex court proceedings before the Stockholm District Court regarding serial loss claims involving several insurance companies, emanating from a number of ongoing class actions in North America relating to medical devices.
- Representing state-owned pharmacy company Apoteket AB and Apoteket Farmaci AB in claims for damages due to alleged unlawful marketing of pharmaceuticals.
- Advised Immunicum AB on a directed share issuance to Swedish and international institutional investors.
Hammarskiöld houses a highly rated healthcare and life sciences expert in Malin Albert, whose team is frequently instructed on public procurement and regulatory matters. Clients include pharmaceuticals companies, generics manufacturers, and biotech and medtech companies, in addition to providers of cosmetics, food, tobacco and food supplements. The team also advises on data privacy issues in relation to e-health platforms, and senior associate Sofia Falkner handles regulatory work relating to the pharmaceuticals and medtech sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘From my point of view, this practice delivers a truly unique grasp of this business segment from a legal support point of view.’
‘Malin Albert and Sofia Falkner have professionally assisted us in a complex and relatively untested area of law. The process has been informative and efficient. We are extremely satisfied with the process and the service that both Malin and Sofia have provided.’
‘I want to specifically mention partner Malin Albert, who is an excellent negotiator and contract/licensing strategist. Her communication skills and command of the regulatory and business environments for the life sciences industry is a major strength that stands out in deal making.’
PSOMRI Holding AB
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Advised AnaCardio AB on a crucial and very complex business deal, including licensing issues.
- Acted for Orifarm in two Administrative Court cases against the Swedish Medical Products Agency.
- Advised Devyser Diagnostics in connection with its private placement of newly issued shares, corresponding to SEK130m, to Swedbank Robur and Fjärde AP-fonden.
Life sciences is a key sector of strength at Advokatfirman Lindahl KB, with the team led by Hugo Norlén offering a broad set of expertise. Domestic and international clients instruct on IP matters (including disputes, licensing agreements and commercialisation issues), public procurement work and corporate transactions. Norlén is currently advising on complex R&D and licensing negotiations for clients in the medtech space, and the group also advised on the commercial and regulatory aspects of cutting-edge vaccine trials.
‘Industry focus (including Life Sciences); great business sense; easy to work with; collaborative teams; really smart and knowledgeable about their clients.’
‘High level of knowledge with all employees independent of specialty. Professional, punctual and accurate.’
‘Excellent hands on advice and knowledge about the industry/sector.’
‘Hugo Norlén is quick and to the point. Gunnar Mattsson is seasoned and well rounded.’
‘Gunnar Mattsson: Very experienced in contractual law and life science industry.’
‘Gunnar Mattsson, Hugo Norlén, Michael Smedeby and many others are outstanding lawyers.’
Philips AB, Personal Heath
ThermoFisher Scientific/Phadia AB
Egetis Therapeutics AB
Eurocine Vaccines AB
Ilya Pharma AB
Redwood Pharma AB
Palette Life Sciences AB
AMRA Medical AB
Intrance Medical Systems Inc
- Advised LobSor Holding AB on its acquisition by the pharmaceuticals giant STADA of its innovative therapy for treating advanced Parkinson’s disease.
- Advised Egetis Therapeutics, listed on Nasdaq Stockholm AB, on the acquisition of Rare Thyroid Therapeutics International AB, a privately-owned company that develops Emcitate, an orphan drug candidate.
- Advised Eurocine Vaccines on negotiating and executing a research collaboration and license agreement with Spixia Biotechnology for the development and commercialisation of chlamydia vaccines.
Hellström Law receives high praise for its regulatory and data privacy knowledge in the life sciences sector, which are fields of expertise for Anna Fernqvist Svensson and counsel Mina Gholiof, who also heads up the practice. The team assists with contract negotiations regarding clinical trials, general commercial and R&D agreements and distribution matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Hellström team had good knowledge and were efficient. They were accurate and constructive.’
‘While their team is small, their practical experience and in-depth knowledge of challenges faced by healthcare companies is amazing.’
‘The team at Hellström has provided excellent legal advice on business critical topics and issues demonstrating sharp legal proficiency and negotiation skills paired with excellent understanding of our business and needs.’
‘To us they are simply a perfect match where they can offer us a full coverage of the services we need. Everything from marketing and regulatory issues to GDPR and general counselling.’
‘Mina Gholiof has a unique experience in her healthcare and life sciences practice from having worked in-house. Her insight of the business is unparalleled and her advice is always practical and commercial, making her the perfect lead for bigger projects but also a great sparring partner for daily issues.’
‘I find them very helpful, professional and interested in providing me with the best service possible. They are also very fast to respond.’
‘Mina Gholiof – excellent in every way – professional, fast, efficient, quick in responding, very knowledgeable and also understanding of our specific needs from my side in agreements, understands when to push and when to adapt.’
Grifols Nordic AB
- Advised a German optician company group regarding regulations on patient data.
- Advised a Swedish county in a case concerning supervision of the Swedish Authority for Privacy Protection.
- Advised a global pharmaceuticals company in a matter concerning the marketing of pharmaceuticals products.
The life sciences practice at Magnusson Advokatbyrå advises a wide range of clients including pharmaceuticals manufacturers and suppliers, medical device companies and hospitals. Practice strengths include public procurement and regulatory guidance, including for the provision of innovative treatment products. Morvarid Dorkhan Nilsson leads the team.
‘Extremely service-minded and flexible. High level of competence in combination with a great understanding for customers requirements.’
‘The Magnusson firm overachieves the typical expectations on availability, reliability and accuracy. However, what they bring is being genuinely personal. You have a strong knowledgeable firm that is on your side and understands your business and the task at hand. The solutions and advice are never standard replies. They are always to the point contextually, intellectually, and legally.’
‘The team I have been working with at Magnusson is obviously very professional and take very good care of timelines. Sometimes they even answered questions beforehand, that I didn’t even know I want to ask, but I already got provided with an answer. How great is that?! They also understand the business model that we are practicing and they shape their answers and advices accordingly.’
‘Morvarid Dorkhan Nilsson and her team has a great understanding for business side of things not only legal matters. She is always available for me as her client, even if my current account is still small, given I work for a new company. I appreciate her advice as a lawyer and as a qualified business woman. She quickly understands the problems we have and she is of great help when figuring out solutions. All in all, its always a pleasure to work with Morvarid and her team!’
‘The lawyers at Magnusson, that I have been working with are extremely helpful and very problem oriented. They do not just give me reference on the related legislation, but also make a great summary and highlight the most crucial points.’
‘I really enjoy working with Morvarid Dorkhan Nilsson, as she will pay highest attention to each of your requests and it is just a pleasure working with her.’
‘Very competent and engaged people that really go the extra mile. They are fast and accurate.’
Dansac and Hollister Scandinavia Inc. (USA) Filial Sverige
Mediq Sverige AB
Becton Dickinson AB
Sedana Medical AB
- Advised a global medical technology company on the complete review, implementation and alignment of global guidelines to Swedish industry standards such as co-operation and relationships between the industry and the healthcare sector.
- Defending Becton Dickinson AB’s tender in various procurements. Among others, defending the client’s tender in a procurement of HPV screening system and in a procurement of flow cytometer.
- Successfully advising a pioneer in biotechnology focused on rare diseases with an audit initiated within the scope of a publicly procured contract to ensure compliance with CSR and environmental requirements.
Törngren Magnell & Partners Advokatfirma KB‘s cross-disciplinary healthcare and life sciences practice combines Fredrik Gustafsson ‘s knowledge of data privacy and data protection laws, Anna Jerndorf‘s expertise in employment and regulatory matters, and Johan Wigh‘s capital markets expertise. Clients span the pharmaceuticals, biotech and medical devices industries.
‘Great knowledge of the industry in which we act, and strong competence in the governing laws and regulations. Availability of the individuals I have worked has been excellent, and the commitment from them has really stood out.’
Oasmia Pharmaceutical AB
Otsuka Pharma Europe
Sellers of MittVaccin Sverige
- Advising Oasmia Pharmaceutical on the acquisition of the global development and commercialisation rights for Cantrixil, a clinical stage ovarian cancer program, which is a $42m cross-border project involving Sweden and Australia.
- Advising on the sale of MittVaccin Sverige to Cambio Healthcare Systems.
- Advised Frill Holding AB in connection with the acquisition of all shares in JUICA Sverige AB and B8 SVERIGE AB (Beijing8).