Dispute resolution in Sweden
With the largest dispute resolution team in the Swedish market, Mannheimer Swartling is a key name for multinational blue-chip companies, financial institutions and state-owned bodies. Co-chairs Kristoffer Löf and Anders Ingvarson, together with Olle Flygt and Gothenburg-based Robin Oldenstam, handle large-scale arbitrations under SCC and ICSID. The group also acts in investor-state disputes and East-West arbitrations; the latter leverages the firm's Moscow office and Russian-speaking abilities. Hans Hammarbäck maintains a reputable insurance litigation practice, and Fredrik Andersson and Mattias Göransson are go-to names for disputes in the energy sector.
Kristoffer Löf; Anders Ingvarson
Other key lawyers:
Olle Flygt; Robin Oldenstam; Hans Hammarbäck; Fredrik Andersson; Mattias Göransson
‘Robin Oldenstam is a very good litigator who wants to know and understand all the details and facts.’
‘Very good insurance litigation knowledge with a team lead that ensures that the right level of skills/cost is allocated to the right team member, which leads to cost efficient services provided.’
‘The quality of their work is good and they are very responsive and proactive. They understand that before being able to plead a case in court or hear witnesses you really need to understand the technique behind the dispute.’
‘Hans Hammarbäck is a very knowledgeable partner with sound business judgement.’
- Representing Vattenfall as lead counsel in a €5.8bn ICSID claim over Germany’s decision to phase out nuclear power.
- Acting as counsel for PL Holdings in challenge proceedings pending before the Swedish Supreme Court, wherein the court has referred a question for preliminary ruling to the European Court of Justice on the further consequences of the ruling in Achmea.
- Successfully represented Serbian engineering and construction group Energoprojekt Oprema in a Russian-language arbitration against a Belarussian entity within the Gazprom Group, and currently acting in the subsequent challenge proceedings before the Svea Court of Appeal.
Instructions for Advokatfirman Cederquist KB’s dispute resolution team include high-value contentious insolvencies and M&A and joint venture-related litigation before the Supreme Court, with regular clients of practice head Erik Wernberg including significant state-owned bodies and financial institutions. Wernberg, with assistance from Eric Johnson, is also acting in multibillion-SEK board member liability proceedings. Fredrik Forssman has extensive experience in arbitration proceedings in the construction and infrastructure sectors, while competition expert Elsa Arbrandt is currently representing a consumer rights body before the ECJ regarding remuneration in the aviation sector.
Other key lawyers:
Eric Johnson; Fredrik Forssman; Elsa Arbrandt; Oskar Gentele
‘Our point of contact, Erik Wernberg, has proven time and again to be academically strong, systematic, accessible, committed, thorough and down to earth in all his counsel and assessments. He is trustworthy, professional and has been a great support throughout the process.’
‘Erik Johnson and Oskar Gentele made particularly good impressions as advisors, contributors and supporters.’
‘Eric Wernberg showed us an enormous capacity, both personal and theoretical. If I had something to discuss he always replied quickly. That made me sure that he was our man all the time. Calm and reflected in all discussions.’
‘Very skilled process lawyers. Respondent to the client.’
‘Erik Wernberg is one of a kind, with a unique ability to develop legal argumentation.’
Atkins Sverige AB
Telenor Sverige AB
Stockholm Skavsta Flygplats AB
- Representing the former board members of Kraft & Kultur Sverige AB (instructed by the insurance companies If Skadeförsäkring AB and AIG Europe), as respondents in court proceedings against Grant Thornton, concerning board member liability under the Swedish Companies Act.
- Representing Swedbank AB as creditor in the bankruptcy of Emtunga Offshore AB regarding unpaid loans relating to Pharmadule Emtunga AB. Claims exceed SEK580m.
- Representing Net4Mobility (a joint venture owned by Telenor Sverige AB and Tele2 Sweden) in a dispute regarding the development of the 4G-net. The Official Committee of Båstad Municipality has denied Net4Mobility the right to perform plants in order to increase the 4G coverage in the area since the erection violates the detailed development plan.
Advokatfirman Delphi’s dispute resolution practice houses a distinguished bench of arbitration experts led by Sverker Bonde and Emil Andersson. Highlights include East-West arbitration proceedings (aided by Ulf Hårdeman’s Russia and Eastern Europe Desk, which also includes Polina Permyakova), natural gas pricing arbitrations, and general commercial disputes in the insurance, financial services, telecoms and construction sectors. The group recently handled headline trade mark litigation and blocking injunctions for Google and Warner Music, and also acts in large-scale insolvency disputes in the automotive sector.
Sverker Bonde; Emil Andersson
Other key lawyers:
Ulf Hårdeman; Polina Permyakova; Tobias Hamrin; Simon Hartman
‘One of the most respected firms in Sweden.’
‘Delphi’s resolution team showed great attention to the smallest details of the case. They managed to handle a very complex international case, which involved working with clients from other jurisdictions. That obviously created many difficulties for Delphi team, as they had to explain many local regulations and problems related to the case. Delphi team handled that exceptionally. Finally they did a great job during arbitration hearings in arguing the case.’
‘Delphi is one of the top dispute resolution law firms in Sweden. It has established a strong litigation and arbitration practice.’
‘Tobias Hamrin: excellent technical and industry knowledge, handling complex liability cases.’
‘Sverker Bonde is a leading name within dispute resolution, who has an unusual degree of sense and feel for commercial matters.’
‘Emil Andersson and Simon Hartman were truly exceptional, they showed great experience and talent for arguing the case before the arbiters and in the handling of the whole case. They spared no effort to reach the goal when representing the client.’
‘Polina Permyakova is very talented and intelligent.’
‘Ulf Hårdeman is a well-known name in the market and always takes a proactive, strategic and result-oriented approach.’
Google LLC and Google Sweden
The bankruptcy estates of the SAAB Automobile Group
CMC di Ravenna
SF Studios AB
Crawford & Company
Procter & Gamble
B&B TOOLS AB
- Representing Italian contractor CMC di Ravenna against the Swedish Transport Administration in one of the largest infrastructure disputes in Sweden concerning a terminated tunnelling contract.
- Acted for SAAB Automobile Group’s bankruptcy estates as counsel on a number of clawback claims against suppliers Fiat, DHL and AT&T.
- Representing SF Studio AB in an international copyright and trade mark dispute regarding a sports trade mark.
Gernandt & Danielsson Advokatbyrå fields an expansive dispute resolution bench, which includes practice head Björn Tude, Charlotta Falkman, Marcus Johansson and newly promoted partner Daniel Waerme. The team maintains its strong reputation in high-stakes antitrust litigation and multibillion-dollar oil and gas arbitrations. Johansson drives the firm's white-collar crime offering, and has secured notable wins in high-value damages cases. Further fields of expertise include M&A-related disputes and shareholder disputes for market-leading blue-chip companies.
Other key lawyers:
Charlotta Falkman; Marcus Johansson; Daniel Waerme
‘I have used Gernandt & Danielsson in various disputes and very much in acquisitions and liquidation, I appreciate their competence and above all their ability to use cutting-edge expertise depending on the assignment. The firm has always delivered on time and is set up in a very good way.’
‘Charlotta Falkman is very competent in arbitration and litigation and Daniel Waerme is very competent in disputes and court proceedings. I have used them for many assignments and have been very satisfied every time.’
‘Impressive capability to dig down into complicated technical matters and form case strategy and legal arguments.’
‘Marcus Johansson – outstanding oratory skills and case strategy. Daniel Waerme – impressive attention to detail and communication skills.’
Naftogaz of Ukraine
Carnegie Investment Bank
The Allra Group
Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken
- Successfully represented Naftogaz in proceedings against Gazprom relating to a gas supply contract. Subsequently, successfully defended Naftogaz in the Svea Court of Appeal in Gazprom’s challenge to the award.
- Representing The Allra Group in multiple disputes against the Swedish Pensions Agency and the Swedish Prosecutor over allegedly fraudulent derivatives transactions on the Swedish governmental fund market for public pensions managed in private mutual funds.
- Representing Swedbank in litigation concerning the settlement of derivatives and allegedly negligent advice.
International arbitration is an area of considerable strength for Roschier’s dispute resolution practice, evidenced by the team’s defence of the Kingdom of Sweden in a headline investment treaty arbitration. Leading names in the oil and gas sector instruct practice head Johan Sidklev and Shirin Saif on multibillion-dollar commercial arbitrations and awards challenges. Rikard Wikström-Hermansen leads on international construction and infrastructure disputes, and principle associate Carl Persson regularly acts in post-M&A disputes involving listed companies.
Other key lawyers:
Shirin Saif; Rikard Wikström-Hermansen; Carl Persson
‘Roschier is my go-to firm and Carl Persson is my go-to guy for disputes. No other firm can bring me the same comfort as Roschier’s dispute resolution team.’
‘I would be surprised if Carl Persson would not be one of Sweden’s foremost disputes lawyer in ten years’ time. In fact, my biggest fear is that more clients will discover his excellence so that I cannot retain him as easily as I can today.’
‘A strong international arbitration team led by the excellent Johan Sidklev. They have particular expertise in energy-related cases.’
‘Johan Sidklev is a thoughtful strategist and very able leader of the practice who is a pleasure to work with. Shirin Saif, recently promoted partner, is outstanding, highly able with good judgement and strong analytical abilities.’
‘Roschier’s dispute resolution team is very competent and experienced. One of its strengths and key capabilities is its competence in international arbitration.’
‘I would especially like to mention Carl Persson and his ability to provide swift legal advice on complex matters and his ability to grasp the commercial context of the legal matters. He is also very service minded and hardworking.’
‘The Roschier dispute resolution practice provides top-end legal advice and out of the box solutions.’
‘We have worked extensively with principal associate Carl Persson over the last year and it has been a pleasure watching him outsmart our adversary. Carl combines an excellent legal and procedural knowledge with an exceptional strategic thinking.’
Kingdom of Sweden
First National Petroleum Corporation
Solör Bioenergi Holding
- Representing the Kingdom of Sweden in a dispute under the Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) brought by Australian mining company Aura Energy Ltd.
- Representing AstraZeneca in its defence of a multibillion-dollar class action lawsuit.
- Representing Skanska AB in a dispute against Foundation for Medical Services in Malta in a highly political international construction arbitration seated in Valetta, Malta.
Setterwalls’ dispute resolution practice is a notable name in numerous sectors including the construction, real estate and automotive industries. Johannes Ericson often handles high-stakes liability claims and coverage disputes for global insurers. Johan Karlbom is currently engaged in environmental law disputes on behalf of real estate developers, while practice co-head Johan Strömbäck is handling high-value commercial arbitration and compensation claims for clients in the energy sector. Emma Fredberg excels at construction contracting disputes, and co-head Magnus Berlin handles pan-European parallel trading disputes.
Johan Strömbäck; Magnus Berlin
Other key lawyers:
Johannes Ericson; Johan Karlbom; Emma Fredberg
‘Emma Fredberg and Johan Karlbom are very competent, experienced and easy to work with.’
‘Johannes Ericsson is a very good litigator, especially in tort law.’
‘Clear, crisp, short and no nonsense advice.’
NCC Construction AB
Arbetsförmedlingen (the Public Employment Service)
Per Aarsleff A/S
- Representing SSM Bygg & Fastighets AB in a dispute against another real estate company concerning SSM Group’s acquisition of a property from the counterparty and the counterparty’s liability for environmental pollution on the property. This case is particularly significant because it raises several legal issues in the cross-areas of public environmental law and civil law.
- Representing e-commerce company Jollyroom in several disputes regarding improper market practices against its largest competitors.
- Defending Lithuanian UAB Furniture in setting-aside proceedings before the Court of Appeal. The dispute concerns construction works on the Lithuanian power plant of ‘Ignalina’, a €200m project lasting close to ten years with associated claims of corruption.
Recent litigation highlights for Advokatfirman Vinge's dispute resolution practice include co-head James Hope handling high-value construction disputes for international contractors, while Jonas Eklund and Fredrik Lundblom are engaged on billion-SEK defective materials disputes in the transport sector. The group also acts in energy disputes, including ad hoc arbitration proceedings, while Hope and Cecilia Möller Norsted advise on arbitral award challenges for foreign governments. Co-head Krister Azelius leads on commercial arbitrations out of the Skåne office, and co-head Silvia Dahlberg is currently engaged on numerous set-aside actions for technology and pharmaceuticals clients.
James Hope; Krister Azelius; Silvia Dahlberg
Other key lawyers:
Jonas Eklund, Fredrik Lundblom; Cecilia Möller Norsted; Philip Danielsson
‘The team we worked with at Vinge was very competent. It was a very technical case and they were fully focused on both the technical and the legal aspects.’
‘A good understanding of both the technical and the legal arguments.’
‘James Hope is very experienced; a good advocate and a calm presence.’
‘Philip Danielsson has a unique ability to take all questions down to an understandable level and always delivers fast and first-class answers in a simple way.’
‘Silvia Dahlberg is the most professional, dedicated and hardworking lawyer we have worked with and has done a terrific job with our legal cases.’
‘Krister Azelius is one of the best litigation lawyers in Sweden. He understands the commercial and legal problems quickly and is often able to solve them thanks to excellent litigation and legal skills. He understands the essence of the dispute and often outperforms the opposite counsels during hearings.’
Investment AB Öresund
SPP Pension & Försäkring AB
Bergvik Skog AB
Skånemejerier ek för
Zhoukou Municipal Grain Reserve Storehouse of China Grain Reserve
Kingdom of Spain
Republic of Italy
Vianini Lavori SpA
- Acting as counsel to the Swedish entity of a global technology corporation to set aside an award on the grounds that the award is in violation of public policy as the underlying agreement is tainted with corruption, specifically relation to a large-scale construction project in Lithuania.
- Acting for Nordkalk AB in a complex case before the Swedish Courts regarding a decision made by the Swedish Government to nominate to the European Commission new geographical areas on the Swedish island Gotland to be protected as ‘Natura 2000’ according to EU Environmental Legislation.
- Acted for the stationery group Office Depot in high-profile litigation against Bong in the Swedish Patent and Market Court, in the Patent and Market Appeal Court, and in the Swedish Supreme Court.
Westerberg & Partners
The dispute resolution team at Westerberg & Partners has notable expertise in investor-state arbitrations under co-head Bo Nilsson, who is instructed by international companies and governments in high-stakes commercial arbitration proceedings and arbitral award annulments. Therese Isaksson and co-head Jesper Tiberg handle commercial litigation in the energy, construction and FMCG sectors. The firm is well placed to handle East-West arbitrations given its extensive Russian language capabilities; it is regularly instructed in disputes in the oil and gas sector. Ginta Ahrel leads the East European desk.
Jesper Tiberg; Bo Nilsson; Ginta Ahrel
Other key lawyers:
‘Punctual, principled and professional in approach.’
‘Ginta Ahrel speaks English, Swedish and Russian and that makes our communication easier in a multicultural environment. She is also very expedient in understanding the essence of post-Soviet laws.’
‘Very responsive, user-friendly and knowledgeable.’
‘Jesper Tiberg is very approachable and knowledgeable about international arbitration.’
‘Thorough knowledge of the law and daring and innovative tactics in litigation.’
‘Bo Nilsson and Therese Isaksson are tremendously experienced, efficient and responsive.’
‘I have worked with Bo Nilsson for nearly 20 years and consider him one of the leading lights in Swedish arbitration. He is a very quick analyst, and his advice is always succinct and to the point.’
Anatolie Stati, Ascom Group S.A.
BOTAS Petroleum Pipeline Corporation
PDV Europa B.V. (Netherlands) / Petróleos de Venezuela S.A.
Finansiell ID-Teknik BID AB
Tanner Pharma Group
H & M subsidiary Weekday Brands
JRS Asset Management AB
- Representing the Russian Federation in various court proceedings relating to an arbitration concerning the alleged nationalisation of Yukos.
- Represented Gazprom before the Svea Court of Appeal in proceedings brought by the Republic of Lithuania related to the annulment of an arbitral award.
- Representing Anatolie Stati, Gabriel Stati, Ascom Group S.A. and Terra Raf Trans Traiding and their companies in enforcement proceedings in Sweden against the Republic of Kazakhstan relating to an arbitral award.
White & Case Advokat AB’s dispute resolution practice is reputed for representing multinational corporates, insurance companies and state entities in complex arbitrations, evidenced by practice head Anders Reldén’s handling of tort claims and high-value damages disputes. Reldén and counsel Niklas Forsmark Helmer also have a focus on construction and infrastructure disputes, including long-tail commercial litigation on behalf of Swedish suppliers and European purchasers; associate Katarina Düring also adds strength in this arena. In the real estate sector, the team recently acted in shareholder disputes under SCC arbitration rules.
Other key lawyers:
Niklas Forsmark Helmer; Katarina Düring
‘Anders Reldén has dedication, expertise, trial preparation and witness examination skills.’
‘The lawyers know what’s important and not important for our business.’
‘Anders Reldén is excellent as a litigator, humble, practical and a really decent guy with lots of integrity. Not a traditional advocate.’
NCC AB (and affiliates)
Peab Sverige AB (and affiliates)
Skanska Sverige AB
Trygg-Hansa Försäkring filial
- Representing construction company Skanska in litigation proceedings against insurance company Länsförsäkringar over claims in relation to a fire on a construction site for new hospital buildings in the Stockholm area.
- Representing Centur Bjuv AB in a much publicised dispute against Findus Sverige AB regarding claims under a real estate lease agreement that includes a complex automated material handling system in a freezer warehouse facility in southern Sweden.
- Acting for the Swedish Tax Agency and the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority in a RICO suit lodged in the US District Court of the Southern District of New York with claims totalling $1.45bn.
A1 Advokater is consistently instructed on major disputes, and fields a team, which includes a diverse pool of talent across a broad range of disputes. Co-heads Torgny Wetterberg and Tomas Pleiner handle litigation for insurance companies; co-head Kristoffer Ribbing acts in disputes in the energy sector; and Thomas Tendorf represents multinational auditors in professional negligence claims. Post-M&A disputes are also handled by the team.
Torgny Wetterberg; Thomas Tendorf; Kristoffer Ribbing; Tomas Pleiner
‘A high-calibre team which uses available resources and skills in a cost-efficient manner.’
‘Torgny Wetterberg and Kristoffer Ribbing are both experienced and extremely effective.’
If Skadeförsäkring AB
Bake My Day
- Successfully defended insurance company If Skadeförsäkring against a claim from Nilson Group, a leading retail chain of shoes in Sweden.
- Acted for Fiskarhedenvillan against a former agent which claimed compensation and damages after Fiskarhedenvillan terminated the agency contract.
- Successfully acted for Bake My Day in arbitration proceedings regarding a share purchase agreement and earn out against the seller.
As senior partner and founder of dispute resolution boutique Advokatbyrån Wallin & Partners AB, Martin Wallin leads a team of highly experienced professionals committed to maintaining gender equality at all levels of the firm. The team is handling arbitral award challenges and commercial litigation for multijurisdictional corporates and international governments. Sanna Engelholm is a go-to name for damages disputes in the construction sector, and Magnus Pärssinen adds strength in contentious M&A proceedings and contractual disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Sanna Engelholm; Magnus Pärssinen; Anna Sundquist
‘The team is fully focused on dispute resolution, and consists of very capable individuals that complete each other perfectly. The team also seems to be uniquely non-hierarchical, making it very smooth to work with. Everybody is on top of things and ready to make decisions.’
‘Martin Wallin is very experienced and capable. He has a smooth and non-confrontative approach to dispute resolution, that is very efficient.’
‘Wallin & Partners has a very clear and straightforward way of communicating difficult legal questions not only with the client but also with counterparties and courts. The law firm has a very good way of putting together teams that fit the individual case.’
‘Anna Sundquist is super professional towards clients and counterparties and stands out while performing in court. She has deep knowledge in dispute resolving matters and is very good at capturing the core issues in a case.’
‘Martin Wallin has a very good sense of capturing the essentials in a case and gives clear advice in difficult matters. He is steady as a rock while performing in court!’
Republic of Poland
Magnolia Bostad AB
Hi3G Access AB
Fortum Sverige AB
- Representing the Republic of Poland in challenge and annulment proceedings before the Swedish Supreme Court regarding two arbitral awards passed in an intra-EU investment arbitration.
- Representing Magnolia Bostad, a Swedish property and housing developer, in three different court cases currently pending in a joint proceeding regarding breach of contract, damages and joint liability issues.
- Representing Hi3G Access, one of the biggest mobile network operators in Sweden, in a tax case in the Administrative Courts of Sweden.
Baker McKenzie’s dispute resolution practice is prominent in the field of insurance litigation; international insurers instruct practice head Stefan Bessman in high-stakes coverage claims and policy disputes. Bessman and Jonas Benedictsson also handle arbitration proceedings relating to breaches of warranties and arbitral award annulments, while Peder Oxhammar is a leading name for the full breadth of IP litigation. The group also has notable expertise in sanctions-related disputes in the transport sector.
Other key lawyers:
Jonas Benedictsson; Peder Oxhammar
‘Always helpful and always responds 24/7.’
‘Responsive, knowledgeable, great with cross-border work.’
‘Stefan Bessman is a highly astute, sophisticated litigator who excels at explaining and managing the nuances of local law for global companies.’
Chubb Insurance Company of Europe
C-Rad Positioning AB
Hitachi Rail STS
Old Mutual Insurance Company
Cigna Insurance Company of Europe
- Representing Chubb in a coverage dispute with Akire Services relating to Akire’s claim for coverage under a liability insurance policy against claims made in a US class action.
- Lead counsel for C-Rad Positioning in a string of patent entitlement cases where the client holds important patent rights relating to high-tech radiation therapy medical devices.
- Acting for AIG Europe Ltd in connection with a dispute surrounding whether or not it is an insurers duty to disclose facts which may be relevant for the insurers assessment of the risk to be insured.
DLA Piper's dispute resolution team leverages practice head Karl-Oscar Dalin’s pan-Nordic arbitration expertise, and Peter Sarkia’s contentious insurance experience, which encompasses class action damages and regulatory disputes; Dalin also has a reputation for handling litigation in the financial services sector. Gunnar Johansson reinforces the group's commercial litigation practice, which acts for high-profile corporate clients. The team also has a focus on real estate and construction supply chain disputes. Specialist counsel Johan Englund and senior associate David Johansson are highly praised by clients.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Sarkia; Gunnar Johansson; Johan Englund; David Johansson; Douglas Hamilton
‘Over the years, I have dealt with multiple legal professionals and firms around the world. DLA Piper has by far been been the most thorough, competent and diligent firm I have had the pleasure to work with.’
‘An unbelievably astute case-centric and client-centric approach, out-of-the-box thinking and detail oriented with a formidable work ethic.’
‘I had the fortunate opportunity to work with two exemplary legal veterans at DLA Piper – Karl Oscar Dalin and Johan Englund. Both individuals presented themselves and carried out their respective fields of expertise in a comprehensive and diligent manner.’
‘Johan Englund is perhaps one of the most brilliant lawyers I have ever met in my life. His detail-oriented approach and ability to map out various events to come to a justifiably definitive conclusion was remarkable.’
‘The team was very knowledgeable about international dispute resolution and in particular, had a good understanding of the adverse parties that was useful in achieving a resolution.’
‘Karl-Oscar Dalin is client friendly and easy to work with- a good strategist and clear vision in dispute resolution. Good on his feet in court.’
‘Both David Johansson and Douglas Hamilton are extremely good lawyers. They are not just great dispute resolution lawyers, but they seams to have great knowledge when it comes to real estate law, construction law, tenant-owner-association law etc.’
‘It is a pleasure to work with Karl-Oscar Dahlin and David Johansson.’
Bankruptcy estate of Kaupthing through DGC Property Investment Management
SAAB bankruptcy estate
Santander Consumer Bank
Delta Capital Partners Management
Nimbus Boats Sweden
Atlas Copco Group
- Advising SSM Living and associated housing co-operatives on a large number of contentious matters relating to project delays and the cool down of Stockholm apartment prices.
- Representing Apotekstjänst in a series of disputes against the Swedish public authorities relating to damages claims for violations of public procurement procedures.
- Acted for William Group before the Supreme Court in a procedural matter that may have a significant impact on loan agreements. The case related to a rule established previously in case law, according to which the burden of proof will be reversed if a claimant can present a promissory note setting out a debt.
Hannes Snellman’s dispute resolution practice has seen consistent growth in the construction and infrastructure sectors under Martin Rifall, who represents contractors and employers in cross-border litigation and arbitration proceedings. Practice head Pontus Ewerlöf and Anna-Maria Tamminen are currently representing numerous foreign governments in headline, politically sensitive investor-state and trade disputes; Ewerlöf also regularly handles M&A-related disputes including additional purchase price claims, and general commercial litigation. Joakim Lavér takes on contentious public procurement engagements.
Other key lawyers:
Martin Rifall; Anna-Maria Tamminen; Joakim Lavér; Louise Klerbo
‘High client attention and accessibility.’
‘From our point of view, it is very important that our legal counsels know our business and that we feel secure and comfortable. We are so happy to work with Martin Rifall and Louise Klerbo as they fulfil all these expectations.’
‘It is a pleasure to work with Martin Rifall and Louise Klerbo. They always make you feel secure and confident and set our interest first. Sometimes, they seem to know our business better than we do.’
‘Martin Rifall is exceptionally good at understanding both legal and technical issues and explaining alternative legal routes in a pedagogical way.’
Kingdom of Spain
Republic of Poland
AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafik
Oasmia Pharmaceutical AB
Veolia Nordic AB SSM Bygg & Fastighets AB
If Skadeförsäkring AB
Project Panther Bidco Ltd
Liebherr-Werk Ehingen GmbH
- Representing the Kingdom of Spain in the Svea Court of Appeal in its challenge of an investment treaty arbitral award concerning the alleged expropriation of foreign investments in Spain under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Representing the Republic of Poland in the Svea Court of Appeal in its challenge of multiple awards (including partial and final awards) concerning the alleged expropriation of foreign investments in Poland under a Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- Handling a dispute for Oasmia Pharmaceutical AB arising from the discovery of several serious wrongdoings and mismanagement by the former board of directors.
Linklaters’ dispute resolution team represents top-flight international financial institutions and corporate clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings. Ongoing matters of note for practice head Niclas Widjeskog include acting in contractual disputes arising from real estate investments, cross-border professional negligence cases, shareholder disputes and breach of contract claims. Joint venture mandates and M&A-related litigation are also handled by the team.
- Represented Deloitte in disputes of significant importance concerning damage claims due to alleged professional negligence.
- Represented international audit company BDO in a court case concerning a damages claim against the client. The legal grounds for the claim is alleged negligence in relation to international tax advice.
- Represented Goodyear in successfully challenging a decision by the Swedish Energy Authority in court. The challenge concerned a ban under penalty for Goodyear to discontinue the labelling under the penalty of fines.
Magnusson Advokatbyrå’s dispute resolution practice is known for handling cross-border commercial arbitration and litigation proceedings. Recently, practice co-heads Johan Molin and Magdalena Berg represented clients in disputes concerning anti-competitive practices, trade secrets and post-M&A and investment transactions. The group also regularly handles damages cases in the construction sector, claims litigation for insurance companies, and policy disputes in the health insurance sector.
Johan Molin; Magdalena Berg
Other key lawyers:
‘Fredrik Ekfalk is exceptionally approachable, knowledgeable and professional. A good collaboration!’
‘They intuitively knows what the client wants, they are down to earth and really skilled lawyers.’
‘Magdalena Berg knows what you mean and what you want to say before you said it. She is an excellent lawyer and she can take a helicopter perspective and see patterns that are not easy for anyone to see.’
‘Highly competent, responsive and strong analytical team.’
‘I have been working with Johan Molin on several cases. He is responsive, focused, analytical, provides excellent legal advice and is a great discussion partner.’
ICA Sverige AB
Jiangsu High Hope International Group Corporation
Parks & Resorts Scandinavia AB
Minmetals North Europe AB
Best Western Hotels
Templeton Insurance Ltd
City-Fastigheter i Katrineholm
Mackmyra Svensk Whiskey AB
- Acted for South Korean game developer Smilegate in a $60m claim against Swedish game developer Starbreeze arising out of Smilegate’s investment in Starbreeze in 2016 and the sale of convertibles in Starbreeze.
- Representing Intersolia, a European chemical consultant company, in several disputes regarding trade secrets, damages due to breach of employment contracts and damages due to breaches of the Swedish Marketing Act.
- Representing Mitsui in a claim against Volvo Cars for a negative declaratory judgement in the Swedish Patent and Market Court regarding liability for damages.
With expertise provided by co-heads Jörgen Eklund and Mårten Hulterström and key partner Andreas Rönnheden, Wistrand’s dispute resolution practice has carved out a reputation in the field of professional liability, with auditors, company directors, insurers and other professional services clients engaging the team in high-stakes disputes. Harry Bergman takes on commercial litigation across a broad range of sectors including infrastructure and financial services claims, and is also currently engaged in licensing and damages litigation in the gambling sector.
Jörgen Eklund; Mårten Hulterström
Other key lawyers:
Andreas Rönnheden; Harry Bergman
‘Very knowledgeable in insurance law and professional indemnity- I would say best in Sweden.’
‘Staffs cases very efficiently – which is cost saving without losing out on quality or attention.’
‘Very service minded and fast.’
‘The lawyers of this team speak several languages fluently, work very precisely, know how to represent the interests of their clients before court and have a very good tactical understanding of law suits.’
‘Availability, quick understanding regarding the case in question and business oriented.’
Finansiel Stabilitet Denmark
Saab Automobile in bankruptcy
Swedish Football (top organisations)
Swedish National Grid
Momentux & Co
Hamngatan 37 Intressenter /Oy Vey Capital
Slättö Property Fund(s)
Gillbo Fastigheter AB
The Bankruptcy Estate of LSAB
CRTG (Sweden) Engineering
- Representing the bankruptcy estate of Lovön Samverkan AB in a major construction dispute with Trafikverket regarding road tunnel contracts.
- Representing the Swedish National Grid in disputes regarding electric power output from nuclear power stations.
- Representing global medical supplier Medtronic in a procurement dispute with Västra Götalandsregionen.
Since Advokatfirman Schjødt’s merger with its Oslo counterpart, the dispute resolution desk has witnessed an uptick in pan-Nordic engagements in the IT, oil and gas, and energy sectors, with major engagements spearheaded by practice leader Ola Hansson, who also has a practice in white-collar crime and criminal defence work. Hans Renman is the go-to partner for insolvency litigation and arbitration proceedings, including clawbacks, while Olof Nilsson has substantial expertise in handling tax disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Hans Renman; Olof Nilsson
‘I worked with Ola Hansson who is experienced and knowledgeable in the field of dispute resolution. He has provided us with relevant advice in a very efficient manner. He is great to work with, always advising with his client’s best interest at mind. Our dispute was resolved in the best possible way and Ola’s help, advice and recommendations contributed to this. For any other future big dispute issue or problem we may have we will definitely hire Ola again.’
‘Very task-focused team. Comes across as extremely competent in dispute resolution as well as in the general partner lead discussions.’
‘Very client centric. Feels like I have only one point of contact with the firm but that person can provide all firm wide competences that I need. Great to work with! Outstanding competence in the areas I have been exposed to.’
Life Europe AB
- Representing the former trustee of a bankruptcy estate as respondent in a dispute with the largest creditor of the bankruptcy estate as the claimant.
- Advising the bankruptcy estate of Anemone Tågpersonal AB on the avoidance of pre-insolvency set-offs.
- Appointed trustee to the bankruptcy estate of MI Andersson Fastighetsbolag AB. Pursuing clawback claims concerning major real property transactions made prior to the bankruptcy.
Practice head Jonas Löttiger and of counsel Magnus Andrén of Eversheds Sutherland’s dispute resolution desk are highly experienced in East-West arbitration proceedings, acting for international manufacturing, engineering and investment funds clients. The group also recently handled rights disputes in the entertainment sector as well as product liability claims in the automotive industry, commercial disputes for life sciences companies, and shareholder disputes for a diverse set of clients.
Other key lawyers:
Magnus Andrén; Anna Lindsö
‘All services are top notch, fast reactions and flexibility. Exceptional quality associates and partners with deep knowledge of the industry.’
‘Anna Lindsö and Jonas Löttiger provide quality services and professionalism.’
The Swedish Chancellor of Justice/the Swedish State
SEB Trygg Liv
The former chairman of HQ bank
Cortus Energy AB
Safran Electronics & Defense SAS
American Express Global Business Travel AB
Orange Société Anonyme
CSAM Prosang AB
Quesada Kapitalförvaltning AB
Zenith Venture Capital AB
Imola Entreprenad AB
Ricoh Europe Holding Plc
- Retained by The Swedish State in a complex dispute regarding the Samis’ right to land and resources in the northern parts of Sweden.
- Represented Safran Electronics & Defense SAS in three procurement cases/judicial reviews in the administrative courts, all against FMV (the Swedish Defence Materiel Administration) concerning defence contracts.
- Currently assisting American Express Global Business Travel AB with several public procurement procedures as well as representing the client in a judicial review of a public procurement for travel services conducted by Trafikverket.
Glimstedt’s dispute resolution practice strengthened its market position with the recruitment of Johan Svahn, previously a co-opted member of the Svea Court of Appeal, to co-head the practice alongside Michael Lettius, Mikael Claes and Carin Lettius. Focus areas for the group include construction disputes, failed transaction cases, commercial disputes and proceedings under SCC arbitration clauses. The team predominantly represents domestic clients, though a number of international corporates are also featured on its client roster.
Johan Svahn; Michael Lettius; Mikael Claes; Carin Lettius
Johan Svahn is experienced within the field, provides pragmatic advice, with high availability with short response times.’
‘Glimstedt has a wide network which enables clients to always find an incredibly competent person that has previous experiences in cases that are similar to the situation one is in.’
- Advised Spritmuseum on the successful recovery of a undisclosed painting by Andy Warhol, a highly published case in Swedish and international media.
- Representing Ryds Glas in ongoing disputes across Sweden, including three contractual cases for various companies within the group. The cases involve breaches of non-competition clauses and non-contractual supply of software.
- Acting for OVPN Integritet against claimants that have requested an information order and interim relief. The claimants allege that the client’s services have facilitated illegal uploading of protected material on Pirate Bay and therefore seeks to obtain information about the client’s customers.
Per Sundin and Sandra Kaznova jointly lead the dispute resolution team at Hammarskiöld, which handles commercial litigation for domestic and international parties including clients in the construction and insurance sectors. Peder Hammarskiöld is a key name for competition litigation, while Claes Langenius handles royalty disputes for premier media clients. Professional services clients also regularly engage the team on damages claims.
Per Sundin; Sandra Kaznova
Other key lawyers:
Peder Hammarskiöld; Claes Langenius
‘Excellent knowledge of the Swedish market.’
‘24/7 availability in combination with highly skilled and flexible lawyers.’
‘I think the key capability is their ability to form a team with the right competencies. They are also open for dialogue on a manner with no prestige.’
‘It is not an individual but a team show, that is their true strength.’
Pensionsmyndigheten (the Swedish Pension Agency)
KPA Pensionsförsäkring AB
- Representing Scania in its appeal of the EC’s decision in the ‘Trucks Cartel Case’ to the EU General Court.
- Representing Casino Cosmopol in appealing the Swedish Gambling Authority’s decision to impose fines on Casino Cosmopol, due to alleged non-compliance of anti-money laundering legislation.
- Represented Sony/ATV in a claim for unpaid royalties and an attachment order against the company Orlando John AB.
Hellström Law handles a broad range of dispute resolution engagements thanks to its team led by Jonas Wetterfors. Ongoing instructions include post-M&A W&I litigation, professional liability disputes, proceedings before the Swedish Market Court and construction disputes. The team is experienced in abuse of dominance claims and other competition litigation in the oil and gas, FMCG, pharmaceuticals and IT sectors.
- Representing the Swedish State, through the Swedish Pensions Agency, in connection with the proposed reform of the Swedish premium pension system, including litigation with an emphasis on the rules and regulations of investment funds.
- Represented Retail Finance (a subsidiary of ICA-handlarnas förbund) in several cases following the departure of a previous CEO, co-owner and founder of the company. The disputes have led to judgements and continued proceedings at appellate court level, including bankruptcy proceedings, criminal proceedings, party arbitration matters and enforcement actions.
The dispute resolution team at Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton Advokat KB is 'the best of the best' for litigation in the real estate and construction sectors, and is retained by municipalities and leading industry players from the domestic and international markets. Practice heads Nicklas Björklund and Mattias Wittgren represent clients in high-value disputes arising from joint ventures, commercial contracts, investments and damages.
Nicklas Björklund; Mattias Wittgren
‘The best of the best. By far the best partner in legal disputes in the construction branch, due to there experience from the field and also legal disputes.’
‘Fast, reliant with a great deal of practical experience. They are skilled enough to help you also in earlier stages, so you can avoid the courts.’
‘Their eagerness to connect the technical with the legal side ensured me that the team knew how to represent me as their client.’
‘The team is well assembled and organised, each member is able to carry their own load and the members have the opportunity to excel under a well organised supervision. The vast experience and competence within the team, both as individuals and as a team, I had the fortune to be represented by exceeds my previous experiences.’
‘The practice has a very wide spread of strength, competence and experience in a way that most companies don’t have. The team they build is always very strong and consists of highly skilled professionals in different legal areas.’
‘The internal collaboration is impressive. Kilpatrick Townsend works quickly and efficiently and as a customer you always feel well received and in safe hands. Even in difficult cases, you as a customer feel that your interests are taken care of in a very good way.’
‘In general, everyone at Kilpatrick is very knowledgeable and you feel safe as a customer. The lawyers I have met listen to what the client needs and are always careful to highlight all aspects of the issues.’
Skolfastigheter i Stockholm (SISAB)
Coor Service Management
Tagehus (Tagehus Holding AB)
Oiger Baronen AB
- Representing Swedish municipality Norrtälje kommun in an unusual and extensive dispute regarding the termination of a long-term agreement concerning the maintenance of the complete water and sewer system of the whole municipality.
- Acting for Coor Service Management in a series of disputes with a leading supplier of customised premises for airport activities concerning rights and liabilities under a frame agreement which span many years and premises in several airports.
- Acting for Midroc Engineering, a subsidiary in the international construction and property development group, in a dispute with Circle K, a fuel retailer. The dispute concerns the design and erection of concrete containment walls around fuel tank areas in the harbour of Malmö, Sweden.
Advokatfirman Lindahl KB’s dispute resolution bench includes co-head Bengt Bolin, who has commercial and insurance litigation expertise, and co-head Shervin Shikhan, who represents domestic businesses and Swedish municipalities in damages claims and termination disputes. Recently recruited from Advokatfirman Westermark Anjou AB, co-head Johan Åberg handles commercial IP and infringement litigation.
Bengt Bolin; Shervin Shikhan; Johan Åberg
Kungliga Musikaliska Akademien, the Royal Musical Academy
FörsäkringsAB Göta Leijon
Lillskär Projektutveckling AB
Kesuvallen Förvaltning AB
Municipality of Mörbylånga
IK Sirius football club
MKB Fastighets AB
- Handling a dispute for Kungliga Musikhögskolan, the Royal Musical Institute, on the ownership of a large number of classical instruments, of which many have a very high value of several million SEK.
- Representing the city of Gothenburg’s insurance company, Göta Lejon, at the Swedish Supreme Court in a dispute against insurance company, Moderna Försäkringar.
- Representing Kesuvallen Förvaltning AB in a share purchase agreement dispute with Nordic Railway Construction Company.
'With no fear of the opponent', dispute resolution boutique Norburg & Scherp handles commercial litigation and arbitrations under the joint leadership of Fredrik Norburg, Pontus Scherp and Kristina Ljungström. The firm is highly regarded for handling litigation and arbitration proceedings relating to corporate transactions, construction and real estate projects, public procurements and competition issues. Professional services companies also regularly instruct the team on professional liability disputes. The group recently expanded with the recruitment of Anina Liebkind and Magnus Jonson from Baker McKenzie and Setterwalls respectively.
Fredrik Norburg; Pontus Scherp; Kristina Ljungström
Other key lawyers:
Anina Liebkind; Magnus Jonson
‘We worked with Norburg & Scherp and was immediately impressed by their experience and hand-on advice. They are skilful dispute lawyers with no fear of the opponent. The team’s strength is their experience and especially working with a difficult lawyer on the opposite side. They don’t over analyse but get right to the point. Most important is that they do not back off from aggressive lawyers.’
‘Fredrik Norburg is at first site a friendly person but once he gets to the job he is quite aggressive and the kind of lawyer you want on your side when the opponents are playing dirty. His advice is on-point and you don’t get long explanatory emails but very short and concise. Fredrik leaves nothing to chance but makes a thorough investigation. Highly skilled in dispute resolution and quite tough on the opponents.’
‘Norburg & Scherp’s lawyers are very engaged in the legal case and always ready to answer questions. The lawyers are attentive to detail and have great expertise in dispute resolution.’
‘Professional and flexible approach combined with high experience and business understanding together with efficiency in costs and time.’
‘Based on several instructions I can confirm that Fredrik Norburg has outstanding legal expertise, is very much engaged in the matters and shows a high availability.’
ISS Facility Services
FourWorld Capital Management LLC
Ligula Hospitality Group
- Acting as counsel for Kinnevik, a leading Swedish investment company, concerning a dispute with the current owners of media company Metro relating to Kinnevik’s divestment of Metro.
- Successfully represented Carles Matsalar, a Swedish hotel and restaurant business, in two disputes against its landlord Hufvudstaden AB regarding damages as a result of terminated lease contracts in a large shopping mall.
- Representing FourWorld Capital Management LLC and several funds managed by the company in arbitration proceedings regarding the compulsory buy-out of shares.
NORDIA Law's dispute resolution co-heads Johan Strömberg, Per Sjödin and Olle Kullinger represent insurance companies in complex arbitration and litigation, including Supreme Court proceedings concerning compensation claims and insurer liabilities. Sjödin and co-head Mikaela Kempe Bergner also handle commercial disputes in the construction sector. The firm uniquely provides a white-collar crime desk headed up by criminal law expert Hans Strandberg.
Per Sjödin; Mikaela Kempe Bergner; Johan Strömberg; Hans Strandberg; Olle Kullinger
‘A professional team that is well acquainted with the regulations that govern the financial industry and has a great deal of knowledge about dispute resolution in insurance-related matters. The service is excellent and cost effective.’
‘Competent staff who are solution oriented.’
‘This firm is outstanding when it comes to service and knowledge. They make the impossible possible.’
‘Absolutely outstanding skills in dispute resolution, in a wide range of areas such as insurance disputes, construction law disputes or other commercial litigation. This applies in public courts as well as in arbitration, and certainly in mediation.’
‘Superb service and high quality.’
‘Vast experience and expertise. Solid understanding for what the key issues are, not only for the dispute itself but also for our internal guidance.’
‘Good cooperation skills. Great understanding.’
‘Senior partner attention, strong knowledge in and understanding of different industrial sectors and their particulars. Honest and well-articulated litigation and risk assessment. No surprises!’
WSP Sverige AB
Zurich Insurance Plc
SSAB (Swedish Steel AB)
Billerud Korsnäs AB
Scandinavian Train Partner
QBE Insurance Ltd
Ruukki Sweden AB
Umeå Energi AB
- Representing Länsförsäkringar Sak in court proceedings in the Swedish Supreme Court and in the European Court of Justice, concerning the extent of an insurer’s liability for an insurance intermediary.
- Representing Scandinavian Trainpartner AB in a dispute against Bure Equity AB contesting an emission judgement and appurtenant damages issues. The matter was tried by the Swedish Supreme Court and was returned to the Court of Appeal for a second hearing.
- Representing Mats Qviberg in an extensive damages dispute regarding board member responsibility in certain situations.
The dispute resolution team at Törngren Magnell & Partners Advokatfirma KB is highly active in the financial services and construction sectors; co-heads Viktor Magnell and Kristoffer Stråth were recently engaged on a suite of shareholder and commercial contract disputes. Post-M&A, investment and joint venture disputes are also regularly handled by the team. The addition of senior counsel Bill Konqvist added bench strength in the field of restructuring and insolvency litigation.
Viktor Magnell; Kristoffer Stråth
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very focused and provides cost-efficient advice in general commercial law litigation.’
‘Stand-out individual Viktor Magnell is very pleasant to work with. He brings all the details to the table and foresees every step that the counterparty takes. He is a very skilled lawyer.’
‘The team is small, but experienced. As a client you can trust that you will get much attention from the partners who will be very much into the matter.’
‘They are no-nonsense lawyers and you get partner attention.’
Svensk Mjölk AB
RFP Alfa AB
Moestue Grape Selections AB
Jureskogs Invest AB
- Represented Eastern Light AB in several strategic disputes, including multi-party and multijurisdictional cases related to a dark fibre connection between Sweden and Finland.
- Represented RFP Alfa AB in a dispute in the Supreme Court against SSM Bygg & Fastighets AB regarding contaminated property and liquidation of claims.
- Represented Arwidsro Investment AB and its majority shareholder in a €35m multi-party dispute against the pharmaceuticals company Oasmia Pharmaceutical AB.
Alongside its core offering of IP, media and advertising litigation expertise, the partners at TIME DANOWSKY Advokatbyrå AB also act in liabilities disputes, VAT litigation, professional negligence claims, arbitral award challenges and complex contractual litigation for clients in the energy, manufacturing, financial services and professional services sectors. Peter Danowsky and practice head Andreas Eriksson are the key partner contacts.
Other key lawyers:
‘Extremely diligent and knowledgeable.’
‘I have experience from working with the team in fields of arbitration, IP law and contract law. They have outstanding deep and broad competence in these fields.’
‘Peter Danowsky is a very experienced and skilled arbitrator.’
Switch Nordic Green AB/Troms Kraft AS
Nordea Bank AB
AB Dagens Nyheter
Sveriges Television AB
AB Kvällstidningen Expressen
Svenska Frimurare Orden
- Represented Girjas sameby in a landmark case against the Swedish Government regarding the Sami population’s right to hunting and fishing.
- Representing Nordea Bank in a SEK500m dispute against the Swedish Government regarding wrongful implementation of the EU VAT directive.
- Represented Sveriges Television in a high-profile copyright infringement case involving aspects of freedom of expression brought by a former member of parliament.
MAQS Advokatbyrå fields a dispute resolution practice, which is primarily based in Gothenburg under Björn Goldman. Sector-focused teams have expertise in handling arbitration and litigation in the automotive, renewable energy and sports industries; the group also handles procurement disputes for municipalities and other state entities. Wendela Hårdemark was welcomed to the team from Advokatfirman Vinge to expand the commercial litigation offering in Stockholm.
Other key lawyers:
AB SKF subsidiary
Serneke Bygg AB
Stanley Security AB
The Swedish Football Club Östersund FK
RGS Nordic AB
Circle K Sweden AB
- Acting as legal counsel to HansenGroup, which is suing for damages against Deloitte AB for negligent auditing.
- Representing Expressbacken in a claim for damages against the deputy directors of a jointly-owned company.
- Representing Serneke Bygg in an extensive arbitration regarding a large-scale construction project. The case involves complex payment calculations.
Morris Law has dispute resolution expertise across an array of commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings. Senior associate and practice head Jonas Du Rietz typically handles construction, real estate and tenancy disputes involving damages. Jonas Toll has an impressive list of recent highlights involving joint venture disputes in the renewables sector, unpaid invoicing disputes in the technology industry and insurance claims for hospitality clients.
Jonas Du Rietz
Other key lawyers:
Möbellind i Boden AB
Odeon Pub & Restaurang AB
Bostadsrättsföreningen Snöflingan AB
- Represented Möbellind i Boden AB in public court litigation against its insurance company.
- Representing IMI in an extensive trade secrets/IP infringement dispute against four former employees and their company BVT Sweden AB.
- Acted for Odeon in the Court of Appeal for Western Sweden in a dispute regarding Odeon’s claims for damages from the landlord for the actions that led to the shutting down of the restaurant.
Norelid Advokatbyrå is a key name in the field of insurance litigation and arbitration. Practice heads Susanna Norelid and Fredrik Seemann represent multinational and domestic corporate entities and insurers in proceedings concerning D&O insurance, professional and product liabilities, as well as marketing disputes. Up-and-coming senior associate Levi Bergstedt adds to the bench strength across the breadth of contentious engagements.
Susanna Norelid; Fredrik Seemann
Other key lawyers:
‘They are knowledgeable in the French legal system and have good contacts with agents in France.’
‘Our contact person has good analytical skills and can present the situation so that we can make our decisions.’
‘We have a long history with Norelid. They are one of few legal boutiques in Sweden which can supply high-quality insurance legal advice together with dispute resolution. The staff is not very large but they have high goals for the business.’
Klassfoder I Sundsvall
CNA Hardy Insurance
Tbs Mediabyrå Ab
- Representing Aspen Insurance in a high-value liability claim arising out of the failed OW Bunker IPO currently being litigated in Denmark.
- Successfully acted as insurer-appointed defence counsel for an insured residential building society in a complex case regarding flooding damage claims before the Stockholm District Court and Svea Court of Appeals.
- Representing Circle K in high-value insurance coverage litigation before the Court of Appeal.