Dispute resolution in Sweden
The dispute resolution team at Mannheimer Swartling acts as lead counsel in some of the most significant international arbitration mandates in the market. Olle Flygt, group co-heads Kristoffer Löf and Fredrik Andersson, and Robin Oldenstam act for public bodies, global financial institutions and corporates in major construction, investment treaty, energy and mining disputes under the rules of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC) and International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). Stefan Brocker leverages his Gothenburg presence to act in industrial litigation in the automotive, shipping and transport sectors, while Hans Hammarbäck is the go-to name for insurance litigation. With a desk in Moscow, the firm is also well-placed to handle east-west commercial disputes.
Kristoffer Löf; Fredrik Andersson
‘A highly competent firm which uses available resources and skills in a cost-efficient manner.‘
‘They make themselves familiar with the technical aspects of the case, can be easily reached, are quick to reply and have a good administration for big sets of documents. They dig into the details and ask good questions.‘
‘Hans Hammarbäck is an expert in his field who manages to provide legal support through his team in a cost-efficient manner.‘
‘Stefan Brocker is very experienced, easy to work with, extremely client focussed and professional.‘
‘Their expertise and professionalism makes me feel well taken care of every time I turn to them for help in legal matters. They deliver with quality, business focus and team spirit which is highly appreciated.‘
‘Azadeh Razani is one of the partners of that I have had the pleasure to work with. She is always available when I need consultancy and provides good advice and accurate legal services whenever needed. I can always call her to discuss strategies or other questions regarding the case.‘
‘Aron Skogman is very hardworking and dedicated.‘
‘The team of lawyers our company worked with proved to be very dedicated, efficient and thorough.‘
- Representing the Republic of Kazakhstan in an enforcement matter stemming from a $500m arbitral award under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Representing EcoDevelopment in Europe in ICSID arbitration against Tanzania concerning an investment in a large scale agro-industrial project.
- Representing Trafikverket (the Swedish Transport Authority) in numerous disputes concerning the validity of the client’s termination of two tunnel construction contracts worth over SEK3bn.
Recent high-profile litigation handled by Advokatfirman Cederquist KB’s dispute resolution team included matters pertaining to board member liability, bankruptcy proceedings, post-M&A disputes and arbitral award challenges in the financial services sector. Leading insurance companies regularly instruct practice head Erik Wernberg in professional liability disputes and claims litigation, while Fredrik Forssman represents significant construction clients in arbitration proceedings. Newly promoted partner Elsa Arbrandt recently handled complex disputes in the healthcare sector concerning public and private law; Eric Johnson was also promoted to the partnership. The team also acts for clients in the IT and life sciences sectors.
‘The lawyers at Cederquist are engaged, efficient and provide spot-on legal advice.”
‘A combination of commitment, knowledge and stamina. The litigation team managed to successfully handle a huge litigation — one of the biggest in Swedish history — with a comparatively small team.‘
‘Erik Wernberg is always available, attentive, and gives good advice.‘
‘Erik Wernberg is the ultimate companion in a dispute. He is reliable, calm, and provides firm guidance. He has deep knowledge within our industry sector which makes the engagement even more efficient. I couldn’t recommend any other litigation lawyer above Erik.‘
‘The team is easy to work with and always accessible.‘
‘Erik Wernberg is a highly skilled lawyer with an outstanding ability to argue, whatever the topic.‘
‘Cederquist’s dispute resolution team is my first-hand choice when it comes to giving a recommendation to insurance clients in need of a defence counsel. They have commitment to the client and dedication to the client’s cause.‘
- Successfully represented the former board members of Kraft & Kultur Sverige in an SEK2bn recourse claim brought by Grant Thornton.
- Representing Swedbank as creditor in bankruptcy proceedings against Emtunga Offshore.
- Representing Sveab Anläggning in a claims dispute against the Swedish Transport Association concerning a railroad construction project.
Advokatfirman Delphi leverages its Russia desk to handle high-stakes east-west arbitration through the expertise of Ulf Hårdeman and Polina Permyakova; recent mandates included gas pricing arbitration, commercial contract disputes and investment treaty disputes. Department head Sverker Bonde also has extensive arbitration experience and regularly appears in SCC proceedings relating to joint venture contracts, professional liability claims, post-M&A disputes and insurance coverage issues. Other fields of expertise include banking litigation, Simon Arvmyren recently handled contentious loan agreements, and disputes in the TMT sector, where Henrik Bengtsson is a go-to name.
‘A very experienced team with excellent strategies and fact-based arguments.‘
‘Tobias Hamrin is very talented and intelligent.‘
‘The team is customer oriented and available when needed.‘
‘Sverker Bonde has convincing litigation skills and is quick to respond to unexpected turns. He can present complex things in an understandable way.‘
‘Excellent advice, prompt and with understanding of the purpose of the case.‘
‘The team offers a great commercial approach, providing both the legal position and advice on how to proceed. They have worked closely with various members of the business and built very effective relationships during difficult negotiations with the other side.‘
‘Sverke Bonde has provided a fantastic service during a protracted matter. He always responds in a timely manner, he uses clear language and feels like part of the team rather than an external adviser.‘
‘The individuals are trustworthy for providing advice in complex litigation.‘
Crawford & Company
The bankruptcy estates of the SAAB Automobile Group
Bergman & Beving
International Federation of the Phonographic Industry
Public Joint-Stock Company Chelyabinsk Metallurgical Plant
Hoorn & Co
- Representing Google before the Stockholm Administrative Court of Appeal regarding the territorial application of the EU Data Protection Directive.
- Representing Cassandra Oil in a coverage dispute with its insurer concerning a large industrial fire.
- Representing the bankruptcy estate of SAAB Automobile Group in a number of clawback proceedings and disputes concerning objections to claims lodged by creditors.
Gernandt & Danielsson Advokatbyrå acts for global household names including blue chip clients, governments and financial institutions in high-value litigation and arbitration under the leadership of dispute resolution practice head Björn Tude. Recent highlights saw Tude, Marcus Johansson and senior associate Daniel Waerme act in a multibillion-dollar arbitration in the energy and gas sector and handle damages litigation in the pensions fund market. Charlotta Falkman is a go-to name for shareholder disputes and high-value post-M&A arbitration. Other fields of expertise include disputes pertaining to manufacturing agreements, contractual damages issues, joint ventures and patent licensing agreements, and high-profile criminal damages claims.
‘Gernandt & Danielsson’s dispute resolution team makes sure to find every piece of the puzzle and to have the pieces fit perfectly together. I trust there is no other dispute resolution practice in Sweden with the same skills, knowledge, commitment, dedication and integrity.‘
‘I have worked with Björn Tude and Daniel Waerme on comprehensive and complex litigation. They are both skilled, analytical and thoughtful lawyers who leave no stones unturned and are also able to present cases in a convincing manner. In addition, both are very pleasant to work with.‘
Naftogaz of Ukraine
Carnegie Investment Bank
The Allra Group
Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken
- Represented Naftogaz of Ukraine in an ultra-high-value arbitration with Gazgrom regarding a gas supply contract.
- Representing the Allra Group in a dispute against the Swedish Pensions Agency and the Swedish Economic Crime Authority concerning the handling of SEK16bn of assets under management by the client.
- Represented Neova in arbitration proceedings involving contracts for the transfer of a district heating plant.
Particular fields of expertise for Roschier’s dispute resolution practice include international oil and gas arbitration, high-value M&A disputes in the construction and infrastructure sectors and commercial litigation for multinational pharmaceuticals, energy, IT and manufacturing clients. Key contacts include practice head Johan Sidklev, Rikard Wikström-Hermansen and newly promoted partner Shirin Saif, who regularly handle complex investment arbitrations and are instructed to challenge arbitral awards. The firm fields experts in white-collar crime and patent litigation; Carl Persson is also a go-to name for auditor liability litigation.
‘Roschier’s dispute resolution team is in my view one of the best teams on the Swedish market. The team has excellent legal skills and significant experience in large and complex disputes. I would especially like to highlight the team’s international experience.‘
‘The firm is ready and able to handle complicated cases both in the sphere of national and international law. The firm tries to propose several ways of solving your problem and helps to find the best solution for every individual case, including not only court or arbitration battle, but a peaceful settlement with the other party as well. It is indeed a leading firm.‘
‘Great to work with, highly responsive, open to discussion and innovation. A high-calibre team who can deal with the most complex and high-value matters.‘
‘Johan Sidklev is a great litigator, strategist and presenter. His international litigation experience and deep knowledge of the Swedish legal system makes him an invaluable asset for any legal team in complex litigation proceedings.‘
‘Carl Persson is a very critical thinker and a great strategist. His personality and deep knowledge makes clients feel very comfortable. He is a great asset to any legal team.‘
‘Johan Sidklev has excellent legal skills, wide experience of dispute resolution and great analytical skills. I appreciate that I as an in-house counsel feel comfortable with his analyses and assessments.‘
‘Carl Persson is hardworking, commercial and not afraid of digging into details and make those calculations that most lawyers shy away from.‘
‘Johan Sidklev is an outstanding arbitration partner- great to work with, bright and a strategic thinker.‘
‘Shirin Saif punches well above her years of qualification, she is an exceptional talent and has the maturity, poise and presentation skills that will take her far.‘
Ostchem Holding Limited
First National Petroleum Corporation
The Amtek Group
- Acting for Danir in a post-M&A arbitration against ÅF involving an addition purchase price valuing more that €100m.
- Representing Ostchem Holding in a dispute against Odessa Port Plant of Ukraine concerning unpaid gas deliveries and penalty interest amounting to $300m.
- Representing First National Petroleum Corporation as claimant in a dispute against a Russian gas supplier relating to exploration rights for a major oil field in Siberia.
The dispute resolution group at Setterwalls is regularly instructed on the full spectrum of cases including high-value insurance litigation, post-M&A arbitration, construction disputes, patent litigation and shareholder disputes. Recent highlights for co-head Johan Strömbäck include acting for several energy and manufacturing corporates in environmental liability litigation, while co-head Hans Dahlberg Kolga handled a number of contracting disputes for the Swedish Public Employment Service. Co-head Emma Fredberg and Johan Karlbom leverage their Gothenburg presence to act for big-ticket names in the automotive sector, while co-head Magnus Berlin is the key contact in Malmö.
Hans Dahlberg Kolga; Johan Strömbäck; Emma Fredberg; Magnus Berlin
‘Johan Strömbäck has a very calm and analytical approach and he always delivers.‘
‘Setterwalls’ ability to quickly understand and initiate the process in combination with a very clear strategy is for me invaluable when it comes to dispute resolution. They also do not hesitate to pull in additional resources from the firm to complement the team in order to have a clear and accurate assessment.
‘Johan Strömbäck has the ability to break down what seems to be complex challenges into a plan of action that makes sense. His performance during dispute resolution is elegantly calm but extremely effective. I have over the years used other dispute lawyers from other firms, but so far no one has been close to the calibre of Johan.‘
Arbetsförmedlingen (the Public Employment Service)
- Representing Arbetsförmedlingen (the Swedish Public Employment Service) in a dispute against CGI Sverige regarding the termination of a contract for the installation and operation of an electronic filing service.
- Represented UAB Furniture in setting-aside proceedings before the Court of Appeal.
- Acting for Kraftwerk Schwarze Pumpe (a German power supplier) in an insurance claim against Vattenfall Insurance.
The extensive team of specialist litigators and arbitrators at Advokatfirman Vinge handles major international disputes for leading global corporates, foreign governments, financial institutions and utilities providers. Stockholm practice head James Hope and Cecilia Möller Norsted are key names for investment treaty arbitration, while Mattias Rosengren and Jonas Eklund have experience in unique, high-profile disputes before the European Court of Human Rights for clients in the mining sector. Other stand-out names include Skåne group head Krister Azelius, who leads on commercial arbitration work, and Silvia Dahlberg, who handles complex disputes for major international banks, pharmaceuticals companies and technology companies.
James Hope; Krister Azelius
‘The Vinge team is one of the strongest litigation units on the Swedish market and their technical ability is excellent.‘
‘James Hope is a pleasure to work with.‘
‘Top-level legal knowledge and performance when it comes to dispute resolution. A firm you want to engage for complicated international disputes.‘
‘Krister Azelius is one of the best litigation lawyers in Sweden with an exceptional ability to combine legal skills and commercial aspects of different disputes. He is extremely efficient and quickly understands different commercial and legal problems and often outperforms the opposite counsels in court/arbitration hearings.‘
‘I have worked with Silvia Dahlberg for years thus experienced her extreme flexibility first hand in various complex arbitrations, both in Sweden and internationally. Silvia will always be present to provide complete focus no matter the size of dispute.‘
‘Highly engaged in getting a deep understanding of the full case and great with building relationships.‘
‘Silvia Dalhberg is sophisticated and full of knowledge.’
‘Vinge has a truly international appreciation of arbitration issues and practice. They are very responsive and have excellent judgement, combined with a terrific grasp of local procedural issues.‘
‘James Hope leads from the front and is an absolute pleasure to work with- a skilled and thoughtful advocate. He seems to run a happy team with high quality associates including Niklas Berntorp, who I hold in high regard.’
SPP Pension & Försäkring
Skånemejerier ek för
Nordic Sport Vision Group
Kingdom of Spain
Scandinavian Service Partner
- Instructed by the Kingdom of Spain to challenge a $30m arbitral award from an investment treaty case.
- Representing Coraline in setting-aside proceedings before the Svea Court of Appeal involving a €12m arbitral award.
- Representing Nordic Sport Vision Group and SEB in claims against four former board members relating to debt liabilities.
Westerberg & Partners
Newly established firm Westerberg & Partners comprises a strong team of established industry names, including group co-heads Bo Nilsson, Jesper Tiberg and Ginta Ahrel, and Therese Isaksson, who were previously at Advokatfirman Lindahl KB. The team is recognised for its high-profile international arbitration expertise, with recent mandates involving significant annulment proceedings and investor-state disputes. Patent litigation is also a strength for the team, and the group has also handled trade secret litigation, copyright infringement claims, construction disputes and post-M&A litigation. The client list includes foreign governments, domestic public bodies and global corporates in the IT, retail, pharmaceuticals and energy sectors.
Jesper Tiberg; Bo Nilsson; Ginta Ahrel
‘A very competent, reliable and professional team.‘
‘Westerberg & Partners is thorough and attentive to the details, has great industry knowledge and innovative litigation tactics.‘
‘The team is extremely responsive, quick to understand the economic background and practical priorities and exhibits great judgement.‘
‘Ginta Ahrel is a very pragmatic and serious professional, with extraordinary technical capabilities, along with exceptional communication skills that provide confidence and relief to her clients.‘
‘Henrik Wistam is a senior partner with great experience.‘
‘Ludvig Holm and Siri Alvsing have great industry knowledge.‘
‘Theresa Isaksson and Bo Nilsson are leaders in international arbitration. Very savvy and available at short notice, even at the senior partner level.‘
‘I have worked with Bo Nilsson for nearly twenty years. He is one of the foremost authorities on Swedish arbitration, extremely well connected, practical and 100% reliable in the trenches.‘
‘Therese Ikaksson is very quick, practical and service minded.‘
The Russia Federation
Anatolie Stati, Gabriel Stati, Ascom Group and Terra Raf Trans Trading
LRS Asset Management
- Representing the Russian Federation in various court proceedings relating to an arbitration concerning the alleged nationalisation of Yukos.
- Represented Gazprom before the Svea Court of Appeal in proceedings brought by the Republic of Lithuania related to the annulment of an arbitral award.
- Representing an individual in enforcement proceedings in Sweden against Romania relating to an arbitral award.
Baker McKenzie’s dispute resolution group is particularly active in the insurance sector, with practice co-heads Jonas Benedictsson and Stefan Bessman acting for high-profile insurance and reinsurance clients in claims and coverage litigation. Other recent highlights saw the team handling post-M&A disputes, shareholder disputes, commercial arbitration proceedings in the heavy manufacturing industry, and damages claims in the transport sector. The practice also regularly handles challenges to arbitral awards and fields experts in patent litigation.
Jonas Benedictsson; Stefan Bessman
‘An experienced, smart and tenacious litigation team.‘
‘We always get the right answers and quick contact.‘
‘Stefan Bessman is one of the most experienced insurance litigation lawyers in Sweden.‘
If Property & Casualty Insurance
Chubb Insurance Company of Europe
Apollo Travel Group
- Representing Chubb Insurance Company of Europe in a coverage dispute against Akire Services totalling $400m.
- Representing C-Rad Positioning in a variety of patent entitlement cases concerning radiation therapy devices.
- Representing Hitachi Rail in a dispute with City of Stockholm concerning delays to the supply of a signal system for the metro lines.
DLA Piper has notable strength in commercial dispute resolution, particularly insurance claims, with the hire of Peter Sarkia from MAQS Advokatbyrå. Practice head Karl-Oscar Dalin is a go-to name for international arbitration proceedings; he has recently acted in east-west disputes in the energy, construction and real estate sectors. Other areas of expertise include recovery disputes arising from bankruptcies and contentious mandates arising from pension investments. Johan Englund brings experience in banking and finance litigation.
Bankruptcy estate of Kaupthing Bank
SAAB Bankruptcy estate
Santander Consumer Bank
Oscar Properties Bygg
Nimbus Boats Sweden
- Representing DGC Property Investment in a $30m shareholder dispute.
- Acted for Apotekstjänst Sverige in numerous disputes against public authorities concerning damages claims arising from public procurement procedures.
- Handling a range of contentious issues for SSM Living and several associated housing cooperatives concerning project delays.
The dispute resolution practice at Frank Advokatbyrå is noted for its expertise in energy-related disputes, with practice head Marcus Axelryd and Linda Landén representing market-leading companies in litigation concerning revenue caps. International financial institutions also instruct the team on high-value arbitral award enforcement proceedings, warranty disputes and professional negligence claims. Other clients originate from the real estate and media sectors, with mandates encompassing contract terminations and damages claims.
‘The team is hardworking and always shows interest and commitment to the tasks it is given. Further, the team has a fantastic ability to handle big and complex disputes in an effective way, always taking into account the business needs of its client. On top of that, the team’s friendly and modern approach makes the team very easy and fun to work with.‘
‘The team uses each other’s competences to give the best advice to their client, and the team members provide an open climate for discussion.‘
‘Frank Advokatbyrå has a very skilled litigation practice in a variety of legal fields. Being a small firm they are easy to deal with, yet has all the expertise of a big law firm.‘
‘I rate Marcus Axelryd and Linda Landén for their excellent skills in law and their ability to always understand the client’s business needs, as well as always being constructive, hardworking and reliable.‘
‘Karl Guterstam is an outstanding lawyer. Very engaged, very creative, also with an international mindset for what other jurisdictions need. He is also very pleasant to work with.‘
‘Linda Landén is easy to work with and has great analytical capabilities.‘
‘Marcus Axelryd is a very competent and able litigator with very good judgement of complex matters.‘
The National Bank of Kazakhstan
The Republic of Kazakhstan
Bombardier Transportation Sweden
- Represented state-owned energy company Vattenfall in an appeal concerning the carry over of deficits from a previous regulatory period to a new regulatory period.
- Acted for Swedegas in numerous disputes concerning the Swedish Energy Market Inspectorate and ACER’s methodology used in determining gas transmission values.
- Representing the National Bank of Kazakhstan in enforcement proceedings before the Swedish courts for an arbitral award.
In Hannes Snellman’s dispute resolution team, Martin Rifall leads the firm’s capabilities in construction and infrastructure arbitration proceedings, with contractors and employers instructing the team on contractual disputes for domestic and international projects. Practice head Pontus Ewerlöf brings expertise in international head-of-state matters including high-value setting-aside and invalidation proceedings. Further recent highlights for the practice include David Ackebo handling disputes in the transport sector for public entities, and shareholder disputes in the energy and IT sectors.
‘Martin Rifall is very helpful and extremely service minded. He has a very good knowledge of all aspects of the construction business and construction law.
‘Good team players who complement one another. They are present and always well prepared with the facts and details of the case.‘
‘I have worked with Pontus Ewerlöf in arbitration matters. He is a tenacious and active lawyer who is always available.‘
‘Martin Rifall has great industrial knowledge and understanding of commercial aspects.‘
‘Martin Rifall is very helpful and extremely service minded.‘
Kingdom of Spain
Republic of Poland
SSM Bygg & Fastighets
Project Panther Bidco
- Representing the Kingdom of Spain in setting-aside proceedings concerning an arbitral award for the alleged expropriation of foreign investments in Spain under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Representing Stefan Edberg (a former tennis champion) and Fredrik Svensson as former board members of private equity company Arvind Svensson Invest in complex board liability litigation.
- Representing Fastighetspartner Bromma in a SEK300m dispute with the City of Stockholm concerning the termination of a site-leasehold right.
Linklaters’ dispute resolution team is particularly noted for its involvement in international arbitration proceedings and litigation, acting for multinational corporates, auditors and financial services providers. Recent representative matters included breach of contract claims, actions against regulatory authorities, IP litigation and claims for damages. Niclas Widjeskog, who heads up the practice, also has extensive contentious regulatory expertise and recently acted in a pan-European appeal against a regulatory ban in the telecoms sector.
‘Niclas Widjeskog is highly flexible and always accessible. He was very good at preparing and taking initiative in moving the dispute forward.‘
‘Linklaters has a large network and a global presence, with worldwide expertise. As a global investment bank, we find this essential.‘
Merck Sharp & Dohme
- Represented Telia Company in a regulatory dispute regarding a decision to ban elements of the client’s services.
- Representing logistics services company Inflight Services in a dispute concerning an alleged breach of contract.
- Representing McDonald’s in two court cases regarding contractual claims.
Magnusson Advokatbyrå is highly regarded for representing international clients in SCC commercial arbitration proceedings, with recent cases involving disputes in the automotive, construction and mining sectors. On the domestic side, practice co-heads Magdalena Berg (who recently joined from Baker McKenzie) and Johan Molin handle post-M&A disputes, trade secret litigation, contentious debt recovery mandates, public procurement litigation and employment disputes.
Johan Molin; Magdalena Berg
‘We have used them several times in international negotiations with great success- there is nothing that is impossible for them to solve.‘
‘Provides good and solid knowledge and is easy to interact with. The litigation partners are very much involved, both in strategy and the actual drafting.‘
‘A very dedicated, detail-oriented team. Work is performed with a high level of strategic skills.‘
‘Magdalena Berg is a great and highly skilled lawyer, with the capability to see patterns on a high level where others cannot. She is constructive and has the ability to explain difficult questions in an easy way. I would highly recommend her.‘
‘Johan Molin and Marcus Olsson have been very professional and showed a good competence and open mind in studying the case.‘
‘Unlike some others, the team will be prepared to take a well-reasoned stand towards the client which is very useful. We have enjoyed working in particular with Johan Molin, who is very knowledgeable.‘
‘Empathic, strategic, detail oriented, knowledgeable, focused and very thorough in the work performed.‘
‘The team is highly service oriented and responsive.‘
ICA Sverige AB
Jiangsu High Hope International Group Corporation
Parks & Resorts Scandinavia AB
City of Gothenburg
Minmetals North Europe AB
Best Western Hotels
Templeton Insurance Ltd
- Represented automotive components company IAC Group in several disputes initiated by the bankruptcy estate of Saab Automobile regarding recovery of debts totalling €15m.
- Representing Borderlight in litigation against Katrineholm Municipality in claims for damages arising from the wrongful public procurement of IT solutions.
- Representing chemical products consultants Intersolia in a trade secrets dispute against several ex-employees.
White & Case Advokat AB has substantial international arbitration expertise under the leadership of practice head Anders Reldén, counsel Niklas Forsmark Helmer and associate Katarina Düring. Recent highlights include representing government bodies in civil actions, acting for insurance companies in high-value coverage disputes and handling contractual disputes for domestic construction companies. The real estate and energy sectors are also areas of expertise for the team; the practice recently acted in multiple energy sector liability claims.
‘A very dedicated team with high integrity, good knowledge and a pragmatic, professional and business-oriented approach.‘
‘Anders Reldén and Niklas Helmer are excellent in all claims situations. They are good at negotiations and finding practical solutions without going to court where possible.‘
‘Anders Reldén is a leading construction litigator in Sweden.‘
‘Niklas Helmer is highly professional and knowledgeable.‘
‘Highly competent and very high quality.‘
‘Anders Reldén and Niklas Helmer quickly understand the essence of the dispute and do not waste energy or costs on facts that the dispute has no use for.‘
‘The team has a great network for international work, making it easy for us if we need to reach out across Europe or in US on behalf of the policyholders or our company.‘
‘Anders Reldén is a very solid litigator, great in cross-examinations and presents the case in an excellent way.‘
Trygg-Hansa Försäkring filial
- Defending insurance providers Folksam and Anticimex in coverage litigation.
- Represented Peab Sverige in a construction dispute against Skalmejblåsaren concerning the construction of a Stockholm hotel.
- Represented insurance provider Trygg-Hansa in a dispute with E.ON regarding strict liability in its role as an electrical grid operator.
With a notable reputation in litigation and arbitration proceedings, Wistrand’s Harry Bergman is a go-to name for complex professional liability and insurance-related dispute resolution. The team, which is jointly led by Jörgen Eklund and Mårten Hulterström, frequently represents its global client base in post-M&A and investment disputes, as well as other commercial litigation matters in the financial services, energy, industrial and telecoms sectors. The firm also has niche German law expertise and often acts in related arbitration proceedings.
Jörgen Eklund; Mårten Hulterström
‘Wistrand’s team is very thorough in its legal analysis, responsive to deadlines, and practical in its approach.‘
‘Wistrand is big enough to have competence in all areas of law that were involved in my case. At the same time the firm is not too large and cooperation between my lead lawyer and his colleagues worked well.‘
‘Andreas Rönnheden is extremely pleasant to work with. He is very knowledgeable, dedicated, efficient and available. He also possesses a great ability to present complex materials and make them understandable.‘
‘Jennie Jarl is an excellent lawyer. She has taken care of our case with great respect for the client and the delicate matters.‘
‘Johan Gregow did an outstanding job as the lead partner in the litigation. He is very intelligent and gave practical advice during the process.‘
‘Harry Bergman and Christel Rockstrom’s competence is second to none. They remembered nearly every single detail in the case and always had a clear strategy. Their integrity is unquestionable and they really have their clients’ interests at heart.‘
Finansiel Stabilitet Denmark
Saab Automobile in bankruptcy
Swedish National Grid
- Defending real estate company Koggbron against liability claims brought by Swedbank.
- Representing Mjöbäcks Entreprenad Aktiebolag in a contract dispute against Havsbriden.
- Defending Affärsverket Svenska Kraftnät (Swedish National Grid) against an appeal brought by Forsmark Kraftgrupp challenging the prohibition of an increase in electrical output from a nuclear reactor due to security reasons.
Commercial dispute resolution boutique A1 Advokater fields a team of litigation and arbitration professionals with expertise in the energy, real estate, financial services, transport and media sectors. Of particular note is Torgny Wetterberg and Thomas Tendorf, who defend substantial professional negligence claims. Other key names include Kristoffer Ribbing and Tomas Pleiner, who handle infringement claims, arbitral award challenges, contentious bankruptcies and shareholder disputes.
Torgny Wetterberg; Thomas Tendorf; Kristoffer Ribbing; Tomas Pleiner
‘The A1 team is very professional and experienced and I am very happy with how they have conducted the arbitration preparations and hearings in our case. Their attention to detail also led to a very successful outcome on our part.‘
‘The team is always well prepared in every sense: in time, in practical matters, but most importantly in judicial knowledge and skills.‘
‘A very strong firm with outstanding professionals such as Torgny Wetterberg.‘
‘They are very effective and have excellent knowledge in dispute resolution within the electricity sector.‘
‘Extremely professional, quick responses and extensive knowledge.‘
‘Bertil Brinck is a very experienced lawyer who demonstrates significant knowledge about the arbitration process, both during preparations and during the actual hearing.‘
‘Tomas Pleiner is a very experienced lawyer. He is also very knowledgeable about the arbitration process and he did an excellent job digging up details in our correspondence and documentation. Tomas was also very helpful in preparing myself as the main witness at the arbitration hearing.‘
‘Torgny Wetterberg takes command of the courtroom through his grasp of the factual and legal matters.‘
‘Bertil Brinck has been our most trusted lawyer for a long time. His relationship with our company goes back many years.‘
‘Thomas Tendorf inspirits trust and competence.‘
‘Torgny Wetterberg is very engaged, skilful and his appearance in court is outstanding.‘
- Defending KPMG in the high-profile HQ case concerning claims for damages against the client on grounds of negligence following an audit of HQ Bank.
- Represented BabyBjörn in arbitration proceedings against US distributor Regal Lager.
- Represented Purjak in four disputes concerning recovery in a bankruptcy and restitution of value.
Core areas of focus for Advokatfirman Schjødt’s dispute resolution practice include post-M&A arbitration, commercial litigation, claims litigation and breach of contract disputes; the firm's highly regarded insolvency team also acts in contentious applications arising from bankruptcy proceedings. Ola Hansson leads the team and has expertise in IP litigation, contractor disputes and challenges to damages awards. Olof Nilsson retired in 2019.
Länsförsäkringar Sak Försäkringsaktiebolag
- Representing Länsförsäkringar Sak Försäkringsaktiebolag in mass litigation concerning alleged professional negligence issues.
- Representing Moore Stephens in numerous court proceedings against a bankruptcy estate and former company CEO concerning liabilities arising from a CFO’s fraudulent activity.
- Defending Länsförsäkringar Sak Försäkringsaktiebolag against claims brought by 22 plaintiffs seeking insurance indemnification.
Bird & Bird’s experienced IP and media team handles complex dispute resolution mandates involving patents, copyright and revocation actions for clients across the pharmaceuticals, software, technology and life sciences sectors. The recruitment of Monique Wadsted from MAQS Advokatbyrå has enhanced the practice; Wadsted has a solid reputation in representing big-ticket US media clients. Practice head Gabriel Lidman acts in procurement, trade secret and unfair dismissal disputes.
DXC Technology Sverige
- Acting for Accumulate in patent infringement litigation against Finansiell ID-Teknik BID.
- Representing a suite of Swedish and US movie studios, including Disney, Colombia Pictures and Svensk Filmindustri, in filing for a blocking injunction against a major Swedish ISP.
- Acting for DXC Technology Sverige in a procurement dispute against Region Stockholm.
Noteworthy names in Hammarskiöld’s dispute resolution practice include group head Per Sundin, Sandra Kaznova and Lars Ulrichs, who are praised for their expertise in commercial arbitration and litigation for domestic and international insurance, pensions, financial services and telecoms companies. Recent mandates include high-value counterclaims, cartel litigation (the team acted as local counsel to a participant in the high-profile Trucks Cartel Case), insurance claims and anti-money laundering issues.
‘The engagement of the team, and clear enthusiasm regarding the legal issues, were over and beyond what is normally expected. The team is unique in the sense that they listened to us and considered our arguments, but still kept their clear integrity as lawyers and gave counterarguments when they did not share our view. ‘
‘Per Sundin and Thomas Lindquist are meticulous, have in-depth knowledge, very good negotiating skills and a pleasant and service-oriented attitude. A great firm to work with and has a very high degree of service ambition from start to finish.‘
‘Per Sundin is particularly confident and knowledgeable on the litigation side.‘
‘Lars Ulrichs is reliable and has sound judgement.‘
‘Sandra Kaznowa is very easy to work with and gives sharp legal analysis. You feel safe when she is handling the claim.‘
Pensionsmyndigheten (the Swedish Pension Agency)
- Representing Scania in an appeal of the Europen Court’s decision in the high-value Trucks Cartel case.
- Represented Pillar Securitisation in a dispute against the former CEO of Kaupthing Bank concerning the repayment of a SEK18m loan.
- Representing Casino Cosmopol in an appeal against a SEK8m fine imposed for non-compliance with anti-money laundering rules.
With a focus on construction and real estate mandates, Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton Advokat KB's practice co-heads Nicklas Björklund and Mattias Wittgren handle disputes concerning commercial contracts, joint ventures, shareholder agreements and professional liability issues. Partner Erika Finn is a noteworthy name and recently handled disputes pertaining to damages claims, unpaid remuneration issues and contract terminations. The team acts for a range of contractors, sub-contractors, pensions funds, service providers and architecture companies in litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Nicklas Björklund; Mattias Wittgren
‘Erika Finn and Viktoria Blind have a structured approach and clear strategy from the start which makes the cooperation that much easier.‘
‘Nicklas Björklund is among the best lawyers in Sweden and his team is considered as a winning outfit.‘
Skolfastigheter i Stockholm
Coor Service Management
- Representing Nyfosa in arbitration proceedings against NCC Sverige concerning a defective industrial floor in a logistics facility.
- Representing Norrtälje Municipality in a dispute with Veolia concerning the termination of a contract for the maintenance of the water and sewer system in the municipality.
- Acting for apartment provider Forenom in a dispute with SMEBAB (a Skanska subsidiary) relating to breach of contract issues and damages occurring under a lease.
Regular mandates handled by Advokatfirman Lindahl KB’s dispute resolution team include disputes arising from construction contracts, share purchase agreements, insurance liability issues and commercial leases. Practitioners including Uppsala-based group head Bengt Bolin and Gothenburg-based Shervin Shikhan are regularly engaged in commercial arbitration and litigation by a client list comprising telecoms, IT, real estate and entertainment companies.
‘Has deep knowledge of our business and the specific industry that our company is a part of.‘
‘Daniel Ullsten is a likeable person and has deep knowledge of dispute resolution. I value that he is not afraid of giving to-the-point advice.‘
Stena Fastigheter AB
Kungliga Musikaliska Akademien
Bad Yolk Games AB
Kesuvallen Förvaltning AB
Lillskär Projektutveckling AB
- Representing the City of Gothenburg’s insurance company, Göta Lejon, in the Swedish Supreme Court in a dispute against insurance company, Moderna Försäkringar concerning the distribution of liabilities.
- Representing Lillskär Projektutveckling in a construction dispute against Peab concerning project delays.
- Defending Kesuvallen Förvaltning in a share purchase agreement dispute brought by Nordic Railway Construction Company.
Dispute resolution boutique Norburg & Scherp is highly regarded for its expertise in international arbitration and litigation. Kristina Ljungström and founding partners Fredrik Norburg and Pontus Scherp are frequently instructed by domestic and international clients in the banking and finance, construction, energy and transport sectors, and also handle post-M&A, competition and public procurement disputes. Recently the firm was also involved in complex currency trading and third-party funding arbitration proceedings.
Fredrik Norburg; Pontus Scherp; Kristina Ljungström
‘The practice in general is dedicated, professional and the people are nice to be around.‘
‘An excellent commercial disputes team with capacity to handle complex litigation matters with high partner attention.‘
‘Kristina Ljungström is highly skilled and analytical with a practical mindset. Calm and efficient before the arbitrator.‘
‘Kristina Ljungström provides an impressive combination of legal, technical and strategic knowledge of great importance in construction disputes. The practice also has impressive associates.‘
‘Fredrik Norburg has exceptional legal competency and awareness of the issues at hand.‘
Ligula Hospitality Group
- Represented DNB Bank in the Supreme Court in a matter regarding the retention of title clauses in credit-sales contracts.
- Represented Carles Matsalar in two court proceedings against Hufvudstaden regarding damages as a result of wrongfully terminated lease contracts.
- Represented construction company Belgorkhimprom in challenging an SCC arbitration award in relation to a construction dispute concerning a mining project in Turkmenistan.
Advokatfirman Törngren Magnell’s dispute resolution team has extensive experience in post-M&A, shareholder and investment disputes under the joint leadership of name partner Viktor Magnell and Kristoffer Stråth, with clients stemming from the real estate, private equity and banking and finance sectors. The team also handles litigation in the construction sector and the full range of contractual disputes; it recently handled contract claims for telecoms and consumer goods clients.
Viktor Magnell; Kristoffer Stråth
‘I know several persons in the team and all of them are dedicated to help the clients in the best way. They are swift, cost efficient and easy to work with.‘
‘Kristoffer Stråth and his team are willing to commit. They show real responsibility and in-depth knowledge. Kristoffer is not afraid of reaching out to other members with special knowledge of the industry.‘
‘Viktor Magnell is a great lawyer. Never misses a detail but at the same time sees the whole picture and builds strategies which work well.‘
‘Through Kristoffer Stråth’s relentless focus and dedication, we made it out of a challenging dispute with our key business partner and actually landed a new agreement securing the business for another four years. As a client, I am enormously grateful to have Törngren Magnell, and Kristoffer Stråth, as my counsel. In my opinion, Kristoffer actually saved my business.‘
CSV Invest ApS
Thomas Cook Group
- Represented CSV Invest in a dispute with its former lawyer concerning professional negligence issues.
- Acting for RFP Alfa AB i likvidation in a dispute against SSM Bygg & Fastighets relating to claim preclusion and bankruptcy issues due to the liquidation of RFP.
- Representing Arwidsro in a multi-party, multi-contract dispute against Oasmia Pharmaceutical.
Alongside its core offering of IP, media and advertising-related litigation expertise, TIME DANOWSKY Advokatbyrå AB acts in commercial disputes for clients in the energy, banking, transport and manufacturing sectors. Recent instructions for practice co-heads Peter Danowsky and Andreas Eriksson included professional negligence claims, issues arising from the wrongful implementation of VAT directives, and unique cases pertaining to fishing and hunting rights for the Sami population.
Andreas Eriksson; Peter Danowsky
‘Very professional, swift replies, exceptional knowledge.‘
‘Peter Danowsky is an excellent disputes lawyer.‘
Nordea Bank AB
Strömma Turism & Sjöfart
- Acted for energy company Troms Kraft in a professional negligence dispute with Grant Thornton concerning the client’s subsidiary Kraft & Kultur.
- Representing Girjas Sameby (a village in the Gällivare municipality) in litigation against the Swedish government concerning hunting and fishing rights of the Sami population.
- Representing Nordea Bank in a dispute concerning the wrongful implementation of the EU VAT directive.
Real estate and construction boutique AG Advokat fields a dispute resolution practice, which represents clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings pertaining to contractual issues, unpaid invoices and additional compensation claims. Practice co-head P-G Jönsson also acts for insurance companies in recourse claims, and the team’s sector expertise ensures experience in advising on risk-mitigation strategies during contract negotiation processes. Johan Rosén also leads the group.
P-G Jönsson; Johan Rosén
‘They are always professional and focussed on delivering results.‘
‘Always available and highly engaged.‘
‘Excellent negotiation skills and understanding of the underlying issues.‘
- Representing JM Entreprenad in arbitration proceedings concerning a contract with Stockholm Exergi for the construction of a combined heat and power plant.
- Representing Titania Gygg in a dispute with Familjebostäder concerning a construction contract.
- Acting for MVB Öst in a construction dispute with Skolfastigheter i Stockholm.
Eversheds Sutherland’s dispute resolution group head Jonas Löttiger acts in east-west arbitration proceedings, shareholder disputes, subcontractor litigation and professional liability cases in the banking sector. Johan Kennemyr is also noteworthy for his expertise in procurement litigation before the Administrative Court; he recently acted for clients in the healthcare and defence sectors.
The Swedish Chancellor of Justice/the Swedish State
SEB Trygg Liv
Stefan Dahlbo (former chairman of HQ bank)
Safran Electronics & Defense SAS
- Acting for the Swedish State in a complex dispute concerning a claim by Sami reindeer herdsmen for exclusive rights to hunt and fish on land belonging to the client.
- Acting for Stefan Dahlbo, the former chairman of the HQ board of directors, in the highly publicised HQ litigation.
- Representing Safran Electronics & Defense SAS in four procurement cases arising from defence contracts.
At Foyen Advokatfirma, Lars Hag and John Hane handle a broad range of construction and infrastructure disputes for construction companies, housing associations and contractors; recent matters involved claims for damages, additional compensation issues and contractor liability litigation. Jonas Nilsson handles bankruptcy disputes, commercial tenancy arbitration proceedings and insurance liability claims.
Lars Hag; Jonas Nilsson
City of Stockohlm
Ports of Gotland
Swedish Transport Administration
City of Gothenburg
Internetstiftelsen (the Swedish Internet Foundation)
- Representing the Swedish Transport Administration in a construction dispute against a general contractor regarding a rail project.
- Representing Merx Fastigheter in a dispute against an insurance company relating to compensation for fire damages.
- Representing the Municipality of Vaxholm in a dispute against Fastec Sverige arising from a contract termination.
Recent highlights for MAQS Advokatbyrå’s dispute resolution practice include defending breach of contract claims, construction sector cooperation agreement disputes, insurance coverage cases and real estate disputes relating to commercial rental costs. Other commercial litigation mandates stem from the heavy manufacturing, healthcare, forestry and sports sectors. Key names include group co-heads Annica Börjesson, Björn Goldman and Karoline Lindow, who all have international arbitration expertise.
Annica Börjesson; Björn Goldman; Karoline Lindow
Circle K Sweden
Stanley Black & Decker Group
Essity Hygiene & Health
- Represented Essity Hygiene and Health Aktiebolag in a dispute against a landlord regarding the adapting costs of a lab.
- Representing Serneke Bygg in arbitration proceedings arising from a large-scale construction project.
- Representing HansenGroup in damages proceedings against Deloitte arising from negligent auditing practices.
NORDIA Law is singled out in the Swedish market for white-collar crime expertise through Hans Strandberg, Olle Kullinger and Carl-Johan Allansson. Recent cases included procurement corruption issues, international bribery matters and professional misconduct claims. Johan Strömberg and Per Sjödin are go-to names for representing insurance companies in disputes and right-to-recourse litigation; Sjödin also leads in complex construction disputes.
‘Per Sjödin is one of the best lawyers I have ever worked with and has exceptional knowledge within the field of insurance disputes and professional liability.‘
‘They have a broad knowledge of all areas and they deliver excellent service.‘
‘Per Sjödin delivers excellent support and service whenever we need his assistance.‘
- Representing Länsförsäkringar Sak in a dispute before the Supreme Court and European Court of Justice relating to the extent of an insurer’s liability for an insurance intermediary.
- Representing Mats Qviberg in a damages claim concerning the board member’s responsibility.
- Representing Län Scandinavian Trainpartner in a dispute against Bure Equity regarding an emission judgement and the pertinent damages issues.
Highly regarded insurance lawyer Susanna Norelid and Fredrik Seemann jointly lead Norelid Advokatbyrå’s dispute resolution practice. Regular instructions from the firm’s client base of international insurance, financial services and corporate businesses include professional, product and D&O liability claims, breach of contract allegations and asset-recovery litigation.
Susanna Norelid; Fredrik Seeman
‘One feels safe in their hands and I would warmly recommend them.‘
‘Susanna Norelid and Fredrik Seemann are excellent litigators who look for constructive out-of-court settlements and solutions.‘
‘Great professionals who are very focussed on clients’ needs.‘
‘Fredrik Seemann is a very professional lawyer who makes you feel very safe. His associates Marcus Appeltofft and Agnes Carlsson have done a great job for us and we look forward to continuing our process.‘
- Representing Aspen Insurance in a high-value liability claim arising out of the failed OW Bunker IPO.
- Acted for HDI Global in a multi jurisdictional liability claim.
- Acted for CFC Insurance in a liability claim arising from print media slander in a nationally syndicated news article.
Ramberg Advokater has a broad client base encompassing companies in the air travel, energy, fashion, shipping, public and insurance sectors. Led by Pamela Lannerheim Angergård, the team attracts mandates spanning IP litigation, professional liability claims, unfair competition cases, insurance coverage disputes and contract termination proceedings.