Corporate tax in South West
Burges Salmon LLP's team regularly provides tax support to other departments in the firm on matters such as corporate restructurings and real estate transactions. It is also sought out to provide standalone tax advice in its own right. Recently promoted partner Ian Carnochan leads the practice, which is equally strong in contentious and non-contentious matters. Sarah Lane, who has previous experience of working as a partner at a 'big four' accounting firm, demonstrates strong capabilities in UK and international tax controversies. She also has expertise in tax issues connected with fund structurings, real estate issues, joint ventures and treasury tax. Nigel Popplewell is another key figure.
Ian Carnochan; Sarah Lane
Other key lawyers:
Nigel Popplewell; Jessica King; John Barnett
‘Outstanding expertise and deep insight of market practice and revenue authority tolerance‘
‘Ethics and integrity are visible practiced‘
‘Deep knowledge of areas of expertise, great presentation and negotiation skills and strong listeners‘
‘Sarah Lane and John Barnett are stand-out partners‘
The Crown Estate
Yeo Valley Group Limited
Octopus Investments Limited
The Church Commissioners
Battery Energy Storage Solutions
Shareholders of Ad Bruf
Wales Pension Partnership
- The team provides ongoing tax advice to the Crown Estate in relation to agricultural property transactions.
- Advised Yeo Valley Group Limited on the corporate tax aspects of the disposal of Yeo Valley Dairies Limited to Arla Foods Limited.
- Advised Wales Pension Partnership on tax aspects of the establishment of an FCA-authorised vehicle to deliver pooling benefits.
- Provided tax advice to Hydro International’s senior management team in respect of the buyout of the client by private equity firm Agilitas.
- Provided tax advice to management in respect of the Warburg Pincus-backed buy-out of Supplier Assessment Services (Constructionline) from Capita.
Ashfords LLP distinguishes itself in corporate reorganisations, particularly in the context of demerging high-value property investment businesses without incurring tax liabilities for associated shareholders or the companies involved in the demerger. The team regularly provides tax structuring advice for corporate groups, standalone entities and individual private clients. It also has significant experience of employment taxation, cross-border tax issues, VAT and stamp duty, among other areas. Practice head Angus Bauer primarily advises clients on income, corporate and capital gains tax issues.
Other key lawyers:
Galliford Try Partnerships Limited
Viridor Waste Management Limited
Datarama Technologies Limited
Taylor Wimpey Plc
Wessex Exploration Plc
BDW Trading Limited Plc
- Advised selling shareholders in the sale of all the shares in Cut4Cloth Limited to True Capital Limited, and also part rollover of shares into the buying vehicle. The team advised on structuring the sale, applying for and obtaining income tax and capital gains tax clearances and negotiation of tax aspects of sale and purchase documentation.
- Advised Swallowfield Plc on the acquisition of Fish London Limited, including tax aspects of transaction documents and VAT issues relating to separate purchase of IP rights.
- Advised the management team and the buying company on the purchase of all the issued share capital on the management buyout (“MBO”) of Torbay Leisure Hotel Limited, including negotiating tax issues in the share-purchase agreement and advising on employment-related securities.
- Advised Cogen Limited on stamp duty land tax in connection with the site of a developing power plan, as well as negotiating tax aspects of the agreement with the investor.
Foot Anstey handles both contentious and non-contentious corporate tax matters for clients such as private equity houses, household-name corporates and high net worth individuals. A notable feature of the practice is that, on the contentious side, the firm conducts the majority of tax litigation in-house, as opposed to instructing external barristers. Non-contentious work includes advising on employment-related taxation, and assisting with the tax aspects of corporate reorganisations and commercial real estate transactions. Plymouth-based John Pindard, who heads up the team, is both a qualified lawyer and Chartered Tax Adviser. Anna Parker made partner in 2018.
Other key lawyers:
United Business Media
Mole Valley Farmers Limited
B & Q Plc.
China Fleet Country Club
Devon Waste Management
- Instructed to provide tax support in relation to the client’s equity investment into a plant hire business.
- Advised tax support regarding an investment by private equity house into the client’s target company.
- Asked to provide corporate tax opinion on the likelihood of an existing corporate structure qualifying as an Enterprise Investment Scheme compliant structure.
- Instructed to advise the client on maximising the amount of capital allowances claimed as a result of a contribution to works.
- Advised the client on the VAT treatment of fees charged under their current terms of engagement.
Osborne Clarke's tax practice covers both UK and cross-border standalone tax advisory, structuring and transactional work. It generates work from clients across multiple sectors, such as technology, media and communications, real estate and infrastructure, private equity and healthcare. Erika Jupe, who leads the international tax practice, advises overseas companies on their investments into the UK and Europe, as well as advising clients in the renewable energy sector. Tracey Wright, who heads up the corporate tax offering, is heavily involved with the real estate and infrastructure sector.
Other key lawyers:
Equitix and Campus Living Villages
Cloud Savings Company
M&G RPF Ltd
- Advised the client on tax structuring and completion of its cross-border sale to Zynga Inc.
- Assisted the client with bond-financed student accommodation project, providing tax opinion on financing and tax assumptions report.
- Advised the client on the tax structure in relation to the acquisition of Lochailort Reading Limited.
- Provided stamp tax advice to the client as part of a wider international reorganisation and planned merger with Alstom.
- Advised on the tax structuring and disposal of Emerald Electron Limited, a company holding a solar portfolio.
TLT's corporate tax team is strong in both personal and business tax, and provides advice to national and international companies, management teams, owner-managers and land developers. Notable strengths include real estate taxes, employee share schemes and tax structuring for company sales. Practice head Ben Watson is highly experienced in all aspects of employee tax, employment-related securities and employee share schemes.
Boohoo group Plc
Molson Construction Equipment
Aardman Animations Limited
Swan Housing Group
- Advised Dymag Group on EIS and VCT aspects of a £3.6m private equity investment, including successfully obtaining HMRC clearance.
- Acted for WHSmith Plc on its acquisition of Cult Pens, the team advised in-house counsel on dealing with transaction documentation and related due diligence issues.
- Advised Peabody Trust on ways to mitigate stamp duty land tax liability for the acquisition of shared ownership units from Bellway Homes.
- Provided advice and solutions to ExamWorks UK on a range of tax issues related to the acquisition of the Kindertons Group by the client.
- Advised Francis Flower on tax aspects of the sale of the business to Swedish state-owned LKAB Minerals.
VWV is increasingly instructed in matters with an international aspect and a significant portion of its work involves acting for non-UK domiciled individuals with business interests in the UK. It also advises clients in the charities and education sectors. Emma Bradley leads the team, whose expertise includes high-value SDLT and VAT planning, HMRC disputes and cross-border tax structuring. The group works closely with practitioners in various other areas - such as corporate, real estate, employment and private client - to advise clients on a broad cross-section of tax issues.
Morgan Lloyd Administration Limited
Bellevue Education Group
Magmatic Limited t/a Trunki
University of Bristol
- Advised The United Church Schools Trust/The United Church Schools Foundation on VAT issues with the result of achieving a tax saving.
- Assisted the owner of Daneshill School with the tax aspects of the sale of the school to the Duke of Wellington Estate
- Provided cross-border tax advice to a foreign legal firm, specifically in relation to UK stamp duty.
- Represented an international executive in a high-value income tax dispute.
- Successfully defended a client from an HMRC enquiry.
The corporate tax practice of Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP has notable expertise in the energy, finance and private equity sectors, and regularly handles cross-border matters relating to UK investment by foreign clients. Within the aforementioned sectors, the team, led by managing associate Ronan Lowney, advises on restructuring, reorganisation of share capital and tax incentives.
Piper Private Equity
RES UK & Ireland
- The team advised Sojitz Corporation on tax issues relating to the sale of Sojitz Energy Project Limited, including streaming losses associated with the different assets and ensuring mutual recovery from each party.
- Advised Sojitz Energy Project Limited on VAT issues and capital allowances related to the sale of the client’s LPG distribution business to Flogas.
- Advised Transdev Plc on tax issues arising from a strategic transaction, including analysis of chargeable gains and VAT position on pre-acquisition restructuring.
- Provided tax advice to Piper Private Equity on investment structures and negotiated tax issues in the deal documentation related to a growth capital investment.
- Advised LDC on tax issues related to an investment, including negotiations with HMRC and transaction documents.