The corporate tax team at Burges Salmon LLP, which fields practitioners who split their time between the firm’s Bristol and London offices, enjoys a strong reputation for its ability to provide advice across practice areas as well as on standalone tax matters. Financing arrangements, real estate transactions, and corporate restructurings form part of the group’s advisory portfolio under the leadership of Ian Carnochan, who is experienced with tax matters relating to private equity issues, real estate work, and financial institutions, among others. Hilary Barclay regularly handles work with an international dimension, while Jessica Chesterfield stands out for her knowledge of charity tax matters.
Corporate tax in South West
Other key lawyers:
Hilary Barclay; Jessica Chesterfield; John Barnett
‘Great team, works well across the firm to assist transactions.’
‘Provide accessible advice on complex issues.’
‘High-end capability in dealing with a wide variety of tax-related issues. The breadth of their tax practice means the team can be used for a variety of tax related queries.’
‘The team provides a real credible alternative to Magic Circle.’
‘Very diverse team of specialists and individuals. For every topic, there is someone with plenty of experience.’
‘Ian Carnochan, very helpful and responsive. Well embedded within the Burges Salmon firm and able to quickly connect with the right colleague.’
‘Good ability to translate practical arrangement into legal form to achieve the desired outcome.’
‘John Barnett’s combination of deep technical knowledge, creativity, and ability to think on his feet is in my view unrivalled.’
Bluefield Solar Income Fund
Founder shareholders of Firebrand Training Limited
Arena Coventry (Administrators)
svt Holding GmbH
Virgin Management Limited
Embark Group Limited
- Advised Bluefield Solar Income Fund on the acquisition of a portfolio of solar and wind assets across the UK from a UK-based fund.
- Advised the ACL Companies and joint administrators on the pre-pack sale of the ACL Companies’ business and assets, including ownership of the Coventry Building Society Arena, to certain entities controlled by Frasers Group Plc.
- Advised Virgin Management Limited (VML) in connection with its acquisition of the iconic Whitfield Studios, 31-37 Whitfield Street, London for use as the Virgin Group’s new London headquarters.
A household name for both transactional and advisory tax work, Osborne Clarke LLP handles domestic as well as cross-border tax matters for a regional and international client base. Tracey Wright has extensive experience in the built environment sector and leads the practice together with Erika Jupe, who is particularly sought after for fund structuring and standalone tax advice; both split their time between the firm’s London and Bristol offices. Financial services and funds work form special areas of focus for associate director Elizabeth Shanahan.
Tracey Wright; Erika Jupe
Other key lawyers:
Pension Protection Fund
National Gird Electricity Distribution
Bridges Fund Management
BDW Trading Limited
Columbia Threadneedle Investments
M&G Residential Property Fund
Edmond de Rothschild Residential Property Fund
Places for People
- Providing tax transactional support and advice on the sale of residential property developer Hopkins Homes Limited to private equity investment company Terra Firma.
- Acting for a European educational technology client on its acquisition of Seneca Learning Limited.
- Advised Infragreen 4 RE UK Limited on the £27m debt financing of its first portfolio of UK battery storage projects.
At Ashfords LLP, the corporate tax team excels in business reorganisations and demergers, alongside which it handles a broad range of work relating to property funds, exit strategies and real estate transactions. Angus Bauer heads up the team and has a particular focus on complex group reorgansations as well as cross-border matters. John Pindard, who joined in January 2023 from Foot Anstey, sports an active tax practice and works closely with the firm’s corporate and real estate departments. Nicola Manclark left the firm in April 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Centrax Industries Ltd
Holland and Barrett Retail Ltd
Brand Architekts plc
City & Counties REIT plc
Nordson Corporation plc
Pennon Group plc
Northbridge Industrial Services Ltd
- Provided tax structuring advice to Luxembourg holding company (Learnd Limited) whose shares are currently trading on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
- Advised Eden Ventures on the purchase of shares in Green Man Gaming Holding Limited.
- Advised Technology Venture Partners LLP on the sale of its shares in Eflow Limited.
With ‘practical solutions to problems’, TLT supplements its transactional and advisory tax offering with dedicated tax practices for real estate, corporate, and incentives work. The practice is a popular choice for both regional and national businesses for matters such as joint ventures and commercial agreements. Ben Watson leads the practice and frequently handles work relating to employee incentives and employee ownership, while Mark Braude is another key name to note in Bristol. In February 2023, Emma Bradley joined from VWV.
Other key lawyers:
Mark Braude; Emma Bradley
‘Highly commercial with practical solutions to problems.’
‘Identify solutions rather than highlight problems.’
Intelligent Land Investments Group
Happy Days Nurseries
McGills Bus Service Limited
The Briars Group
- Advised the management of Happy Days Nurseries, a South West based childcare provider, on its recent investment by Zetland Capital.
- Advised Zeus on its acquisition of UK packaging company Swanline Group and its sister company BoxMart in a transaction worth over €25m.
- Advised Aquis Exchange on its assumption of responsibility for the business activities of UBS MTF, signalling a move into non-displayed matching pools.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP
At Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP, matters relating to the energy, finance, and private equity spaces are central areas of expertise for the firm’s tax practice. Matters with a cross-border dimension are an additional speciality within the department, which is led by managing associate Ronan Lowney.
‘Delivers a professional service while keeping the small family business feel.’
‘The staff are attentive, good communicators and always manage to deliver within the time limits.’
Piper Private Equity
RES UK & Ireland
LDC Private Equity
- Advised Path Investments plc on the reverse acquisition of DG Innovate Limited and its later admission to the official list.
- Advised the sellers of Creativity Software Limited on the sale of the entire share capital of Creativity Software Limited.
- Advised long standing private equity client, Piper, on its investment into Rabbies Trail Burners Limited.