Blake Morgan LLP's construction team provides a "cradle-to-grave" service for a broad mix of national and regional clients and the practice has developed a strong reputation advising both private and public sector organisations. The team has expertise across a number of industry sectors including residential and commercial development, retail and leisure, energy and health. The Hampshire group is particularly well known for its contentious construction work. Jessica Tresham is the name to note for adjudication, while Richard Wade leads the practice.
Construction in South East
Other key lawyers:
IWG / Regus
Diamond Light Source
Mytime Active Trust
Sutton and East Surrey Water
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP's construction client base covers a wide range of industry sectors including healthcare, contracting, facilities management, transport and telecoms. Practice head David Savage is the firm's construction and infrastructure sector lead, and has more than 25 years' experience. Recently promoted Andrew Keeley advises clients in relation to construction and engineering contracts for commercial and prime residential projects, and has significant experience of adjudications and professional negligence claims.
‘Charles Russell Speechlys, in particular, its construction practice, was selected to advise on a quite complicated construction project in the CIS. They brought their outstanding experience and deep knowledge in such kinds of contracts.‘
‘We were impressed by David Savage, Megan Paul and Fiona Thompson’s comprehensive, thoroughly grounded, understanding of the construction business in general and their ability to understand our needs and challenges in a very specific project and to bring about the best possible result for our specific circumstances. They have a personalised approach to our case and provide legal solutions that are well-judged and timely; they help us to adapt the best practice in the field for our jurisdictions with strong collaborative teamwork and an approachable, creative style. David is positioning himself as a thought leader in his field by sharing blogs about construction law and technology issues using social media.‘
Ministry of Transport & Telecommunications, Government of the Kingdom of Bahrain
Church Commissioners for England
Caring Homes Group
The Pirbright Institute
The Energy Technologies Institute
Aspire Luxury Properties
- Advising the Government of Bahrain in relation to procurement and construction law issues arising from the Bahrain Airport Modernisation Project, a US$1.1billion redevelopment of Bahrain Airport.
- Advising on procurement and construction of facilities to support research at the Pirbright Institute.
- Provided construction law drafting and advice to Aspire Luxury Properties in relation to a number of new projects.
Clarkslegal LLP regularly acts for both purchaser and supplier clients in relation to major construction projects and has seen considerable growth in the contentious side of the practice. Practice head David Rintoul advises on joint ventures, contracts and surety documents, as well as bringing and defending claims in adjudications, the technology and construction court and by arbitration. Ruth Wilkinson , who clients describe as 'exceptional', is a specialist in contract drafting, disputes and advisory issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Ruth Wilkinson’s qualities are that she is approachable and honest in her opinion. We value her advice.‘
‘In my experience, the Clarkslegal construction team are extremely professional, knowledgeable and friendly.‘
‘Ruth Wilkinson and David Rintoul are always friendly and proactive. We value their knowledge and expertise.‘
‘The team is accessible at all levels with exceptional, clear and practical advice.‘
‘Clarks Legal are very responsive. If there is an urgent issue they react well to provide the assistance required, which can be crucial in the Construction industry. Industry specific knowledge is also an important factor.‘
‘The level of knowledge specific to construction is very good and is applied in a very commercial manner that can be understood clearly. The individuals are very responsive.‘
University of Reading
Aggora (a trading division of Bunzl UK Limited)
Cube Interior Solutions
BSW Building Services
- Assisted Aggora to review the proposed terms of contracts for a number of substantial projects, including advising on amendments to the JCT standard forms and related surety documents.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating professional appointment terms on a number of high value development projects on behalf of Stanton Williams.
- Acting for Vascroft in an ongoing £1 million final account claim in the Technology and Construction Court concerning extensive works to a high value property in Knightsbridge.
Cripps Pemberton Greenish's work is primarily client rather than contractor focused, and the practice has developed a strong reputation in the infrastructure sector. The team also work extensively on regeneration and urban renewal projects. James Lee heads up the construction group and has fourteen years' experience specialising in non-contentious transactional work. Nitej Davda is the name to note on the contentious side and acts for clients in relation to claims under collateral warranties, performance bonds, and the implications of insolvency under construction contracts.
‘They offer a fast reliable service with quick turnaround of documents/answers to queries.‘
‘Always make themselves available to deal with our matters efficiently.‘
‘I find the firm to be very much on top of the legal knowledge and with the right commercial attitude by all members of the staff. They are also extremely responsive.‘
‘Kate Kennedy and Lisa Steer are very knowledgeable, extremely responsive and communicative, with an excellent attitude in resolving issues.’
Slough Borough Council
South East Water
Hermes Real Estate Investment
English National Ballet
M&G Real Estate
Liberty Property Trust UK
Runnymede Borough Council
- Advised the English National Ballet in relation to the high profile relocation of their main headquarters from Markova House to London City Island.
- Main advisers to Slough Borough Council in relation to their £1 billion urban regeneration called Slough Urban Renewal with its development partner Morgan Sindall.
- Reviewed and negotiated all South East Water’s construction documents, professional appointments and building contracts under their five-year contractor framework agreements and provided dispute resolution advice.
IBB (Iliffes Booth Bennett)
IBB (Iliffes Booth Bennett)'s construction group continues to grow, with a 15% increase in turnover in 2019. The team, led by civil engineer and former Taylor Wessing LLP lawyer Paul Brampton, typically advises major-name house builders, as well as contractors and developers. A niche specialism for the practice is its ability to deal with ESCO related transactions and complex joint venture agreements. The team also have a strong reputation in the engineering sector, where much of the work has an international dimension.
Other key lawyers:
‘They handled the work extremely conscientiously and at no time did I have to chase them up.‘
‘Chris Thompson kept me well informed throughout the works they undertook and was very knowledgeable.‘
O’Halloran and O’Brien
Teenage Cancer Trust
Old Thorns Group
- Advised The Royal College of Pathologists in relation to the £18m construction of the College’s new 4,500m2 headquarters in Central London.
- Advised North American biogas company DVO in relation to the supply and construction of DVO’s patented anaerobic digester processing plants at sites in the UK and Africa with values between US$2million and US$3million for each site.
- Advised TCT on the construction of its specialist units at NHS hospitals throughout the UK, most recently on the new Proton Beam Therapy Centre and Europe’s largest blood disorder treatment centre at the University College London Hospital.
Boutique construction and engineering firm Sheridan Gold LLP has developed a strong reputation acting on both domestic and international cases, including high profile disputes in both the UK and the Middle East. Peter Sheridan has more than 25 years' experience of construction disputes, including adjudication and PFI disputes, while Jonathan Gold is a leading construction lawyer, and is an expert in alternative dispute resolution processes such as adjudication and mediation. Jane Ryland is also highly recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Peter Sheridan and Jonathan Gold are first rate, hands-on partners with a good understanding of construction law.‘
‘Peter Sheridan and Jonathan Gold understand construction law and its principles and give good, sound advice to clients as a result.‘
‘Quality lawyers, personal approach, experience and value.‘
‘Jonathan Gold is thoroughly commercial and nice, whilst also being a forceful litigator when required.‘
King’s College School, Wimbledon
Stevens & Bolton LLP's construction group has significant expertise in the engineering, life sciences, leisure and retail sectors. It advises clients in relation to contentious and non-contentious matters. 2019 saw the launch of "Stevens & Bolton Connect", a secure collaboration platform providing a cost effective way for clients to access documents 24/7 and to facilitate important transactions, by allowing clients to share large and sensitive files with other advisers. Stephen Rockhill's previous training as an engineer is noted by clients who say that he 'understands things from a client perspective'.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a leader who trained and worked as an engineer. This brings a depth of knowledge of the construction industry and a difference of approach which is unique.’
‘Stephen Rockhill is an exceptional lawyer. Having trained and worked as an engineer, he has real and practical knowledge of how buildings are put together and the construction industry as a whole that few other construction lawyers have. He is able to offer a pragmatic and practical approach in all his work that is unrivalled – even in the big London firms!‘
‘Commercial thinking and clear, pragmatic advice.‘
‘Stephen Rockhill – clear, pragmatic and direct. Has also worked in industry so understands things from a client perspective.’
‘The S&B team are highly approachable and responsive. They make great effort to understand our business and our issues. They consult willingly and are creative in the ways that they approach solutions. They give well-balanced advice and are highly knowledgeable in all of the areas of law in which we need support. Their seminars and industry days are always on-point and informative.‘
‘Kimberley Eyssell is a stand-out partner, always providing clear and balanced advice. She is able to distil complex problems into realistic and understandable proposals, and advises well on strategy and approach.‘
Royal Horticultural Society
The Institute of Cancer Research
Kia Motors (UK)
Richmond and Hillcroft Adult Community College
Royal Albert Hall
- Providing project advice to the Institute of Cancer Research on the Centre for Cancer Drug Discovery (a specialist laboratory block) regarding extension of time and loss and expense claims, notices in respect of non-completion, concerns over the financial stability of the main contractors, and further works.
- Advising an investor on a project to carry out a substantial development and extension of a holiday park in the South West of England, including substantial infrastructure works, the installation of a new waste water treatment plant and the supply and installation of new holiday lodges, the project is valued in the region of £50M.
- Advising a local authority in relation to a significant final account dispute (concerned with the assessment of Compensation Events) relating to a highways project off a major motorway.
BDB Pitmans' dedicated construction and engineering department works closely with the real estate, insolvency and dispute resolution teams to offer a "cradle to grave" service including contentious and non-contentious work. The practice advises on a full range of construction work and has a niche specialism in marine engineering. David Gwillim heads up the department and specialises in contract drafting, warranties and bonds, insurance and health and safety issues.
‘Lots of experience and very committed to their clients.’
‘David Gwillim is a partner with unmatched experience. Maisie Sigurdsson is an exceptionally hard worker.‘
‘This practice has a highly specific insight into commercial solution-finding. It avoids unnecessary legalese, in order to produce workable, practical and commercially responsive answers. Particular capabilities: dedicated service at all levels; individual focus on team goals – in respect of large projects, where aims and goals are numerous and can become unclear or muddled, they have repeatedly shown a talent for identifying and pursuing the most practical way forward.‘
‘David Gwillim is extremely practical, straightforward, with particular expertise in commuting the complexities of construction/contract/planning issues, into one streamlined solution. Naturally adept at leading.‘
Pro Tar Surfacing
Burnham Parish Council
Dentons' Milton Keynes based construction practice specialises in non-contentious work, advising clients on major developments in the commercial, retail, leisure, rail and high-end residential sectors. Jane Miles leads the practice and has over 20 years' experience leading on complex transactions for household name developers, retailers, banks and rail entities. Shaun Tame acts as a project counsel for clients during the construction phase, advising on issues such as contractor/consultant non-performance and payment processes under the CDM regulations.
Other key lawyers:
McArthur Glen (Cannock Designer Outlet Limited)
Silverstone Circuits Limited
Kier Property Developments
Hammond Rutts Investments
The Topland Group
Mamma Mia The Party!
Network Rail Infrastructure
HCR Hewitsons advises clients across a diverse range of sectors, working for leading commercial and residential developers, manufacturers, contractors, investors and leading national charities. Simon Wain joined the practice from Shoosmiths LLP in June 2019 and is particularly experienced within the energy sector. He is also a specialist in construction insurance work. Tim Richards leads the practice and has 35 years' experience advising clients on the full range of construction and procurement law issues.
A W James
British Institute of Interior Design
Perrys Motor Sales
Osbourne Developments Limited and Osbourne Construction
Mettler-Toledo Safeline X-Ray
Colmore Tang Construction
City and Country
- Advising a privately owned property development on construction issues relating to the letting of its new 7 storey multi-let office facility adjacent to the station in Milton Keynes.
- Advising a developer on the construction of a new speculative warehouse facility at its business park near Daventry.
Irwin Mitchell's construction group is best known for its longstanding experience as advisers to the education sector, having worked on some of the largest projects in further education. Its lawyers deal with contentious and non-contentious matters, and frequently carry out due diligence work for funders, as well as advising on standard form and bespoke contracts for developers. Mark Clinton is the national head of construction and engineering and is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a TeCSA accredited adjudicator.
‘Very quick, responsive and commercially pragmatic team headed up by Mark Clinton, as seasoned campaigner who has built up an unrivalled amount of industry knowledge over the years.‘
‘Mark Clinton – perceptive, quick, pragmatic and commercially astute.‘
Birketts LLP deals with all aspects of contentious and non-contentious construction law, including development funding, contract documentation, due diligence and general commercial transactions. Clients include mainstream commercial lenders, developers, contractors, suppliers and sub-contractors. Andrew Rush leads the practice and has experience in both non-contentious drafting and the management of disputes, having begun his career as a chartered civil engineer. Ruth Sunaway leads on the contentious side and has extensive experience in high value court claims.
‘Friendly approachable staff. They are appreciative of the pressures on us and react quickly to protect our position . They explain difficult complex legal issues in a clear and easy to understand language. They allocate an appropriate level of resource to the dispute, fees are transparent and audit-able, particularly when compared to other solicitors whose fees are not so easy to verify.‘
‘The individuals we deal with exhibit passion and professionalism on our disputes. They are thorough in their strategies in defending our position. I believe the best compliment that can be given is we do not begrudge settling their invoices as we are please with the level of service provided. Ruth Sunaway and Andrew Rush are stand out partners.‘
T & B Contractors
- Acting for Davis Construction in an adjudication against Howarth Timber.
- Represented Ground Construction against Part 8 proceedings brought by Galliford Try.
- Represented T&B Contractors in a dispute with Mariage Freres which resulted in an adjudication being commenced against Mariage.
EMW Law LLP
EMW Law LLP undertakes contentious and non-contentious work on behalf of clients in the commercial development, house building, IT and rail sectors. Practice head Derryn Rolfe has extensive experience in both construction and engineering law, advising developers, end-users and professionals on procurement and documentation for a range of projects. Charles Clay is the name to note for contentious claims and disputes including mediation, adjudication and litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Grand Union Housing Group
Spring 4 Project Management
Paul Newman New Homes
- Advising Treatt on engineering and professional contracts for new process plant.
- Advising Spring 4 Project Management on terms and conditions of professionals and contractors, for works on various high-profile City properties.
- Advising ACO Technologies on procurement, drafting, and negotiating agreements in respect of a major extension of a factory.
The construction department at Palmers continues to provide specialist advice on adjudications, arbitration, mediation, and TCC claims, as well as advising on non-contentious construction matters. Adam Davis leads the team, while associate Suryen Nullatamby is a qualified adjudicator and is now listed on several adjudication panels. With clients located across the UK, the team acts in both construction and engineering cases, representing contractors, sub-contractors, developers and associated construction-related companies. .
The Lady Eleanor Holles School
Ryan and Walsh
IM Automation Systems
SMC Building Solutions
Atlas House Consultancy
- Advised a client in relation to the entering into of a JCT Intermediate Building Contract for the major refurbishment and interior fit out of a London office with a total project value of £1.3m.
- Represented a client in an interim payments and final account dispute by way of Adjudication and successfully defended an application for an injunction to stop the adjudication.
- Representing a client in relation to a cross-border dispute, in which the applicable law and jurisdiction is contested between the parties.
Thomson Snell & Passmore
Thomson Snell & Passmore advises on the full life-cycle of construction projects, dealing with all aspects of documentation and support as well as providing a range of dispute resolution services. Practice head Chris Whittington has more than 30 years' experience advising employers, funders, contractors, sub-contractors and consultants on non-contentious matters. Chris Kirby-Turner leads on the team’s dispute resolution matters. His practice covers advisory work at the stage of claim preparation and commercial negotiations through to adjudications and multi party TCC claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘Breadth and depth of experience and resources.‘
‘Diligence, attention to detail, being willing to leave the office to view the fabric of the matter.‘
‘Extremely approachable and always available and extremely knowledgeable.‘
‘Chris Whittington is standout – a pleasure to deal with and work with.‘
Avenue Building Company
OFP Timber Framed Homes
Stonegrove Refrigeration Services
Chatham Maritime Trust
- Instructed by Cook Trading regarding its expansion plans in relation to new kitchen facilities being built in Sittingbourne.
- Acted for a regional main contractor in relation to a series of adjudications with a subcontractor concerning works undertaken at a major data centre in Denmark.
- Acted for the UK subsidiary of a German private hospital operator in connection to a dispute arising from the conversion and fit out of a central London property to form a new private hospital.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP's Southampton team is led by managing associate Amy Hodge who specialises in non-contentious construction matters and has extensive experience advising developer and funder clients in relation to construction procurement, including drafting and negotiating building contracts and consultant appointments. She is supported by associate solicitor Josiane Williams who has experience drafting, negotiating and advising on bespoke and standard form construction contracts.
Other key lawyers:
‘I find Womble Bond Dickinson to be readily available, responsive, commercially aware and thorough.‘
‘Amy Hodge is a key player. I have worked with her for years on more than one matter. She is unfailing in her attention to detail and value for money.‘
The Church Commissioners for England
The University of Portsmouth Higher Education Corporation
Halifax Pension Nominees
Ashfield Land Retail Developers
Liverpool Victoria Friendly Society
The Original Bowling Company
- Advised B&Q on the drafting of the majority of its construction contracts, including contracts prepared for the rollout of a recent nationwide refurbishment project for circa 80 stores, store closures of older stores, proposed new stores in Merton (£1m project) and Oxford (£3 million project) and a new ‘express’ store in Wallington.
- Appointed by The Church Commissioners for England to provide all legal services in connection with a programme of extensive maintenance, repair and alteration works due to be carried out at Lambeth Palace.
- Instructed in connection with two projects at the University of Portsmouth.