Banking and finance in South East
The banking and finance team at Blake Morgan LLP advises a mix of borrowers and lenders across various sectors including healthcare, education, retail and renewable energy, with a particular focus on the smaller and mid markets. The practice is well known for being on the lending panels of most of the UK clearing banks, as well as a substantial number of retail and investment banks. Expertise in Islamic finance and specialist asset finance advice for lenders are other areas of strength. Kath Shimmin heads the practice from Southampton. Guy Constant and Rebecca McCabe-North, who are both based in the Thames Valley offices, are also recommended.
‘Always contactable, knowledgeable and keen to assist and advise.‘
‘An extremely competent team, capable of handling complex finance transactions.‘
‘Kath Shimmin is an excellent, very commercial and responsive partner.‘
‘Rebecca McCabe-North is excellent. Her great sector knowledge and experience, combined with her pragmatic and responsive approach, gets deals done.‘
‘Rebecca McCabe-North is knowledgeable, responsible and flexible.‘
HSBC UK Bank PLC
Santander UK PLC
Investec Bank PLC
Metro Bank PLC
Royal Bank of Scotland
- Acted for HSBC Bank Plc on the provision of an additional funding to leading regional pump manufacturer, the Selwood Group. The funds were used to acquire the Siltbuster Group.
- Advised a global manufacturing group based in India on English law security in connection with €700m facilities relating to multiple subsidiaries in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised a boutique hotel chain on a secured loan facility to refinance existing borrowing and provide capital for the refurbishment and expansion of the hotel assets.
- Advised Metro Bank on structured finance facilities to a group of companies, some of which buy residential property from owners wishing to sell quickly, and another which provided bridging loans.
- Acted for a major UK-based utility provider on a large private placement of senior secured bond notes, the proceeds of which were used to refinance the group’s existing debt obligations.
Cripps Pemberton Greenish’s banking and finance practice has a strong reputation in large financial transactions for major banks and lenders/funders, funds-related work and matters involving borrowers with significant debt and equity finance requirements. The practice heads are Craig Bowers in Kings Hill and Julie Hughes in Tunbridge Wells. Victoria Symons is another key contact. The merger of Cripps with Pemberton Greenish in December 2018 has increased the presence and weight of the practice in the South East and beyond.
Craig Bowers; Julie Hughes
Other key lawyers:
‘The team are extremely knowledgeable and pragmatic.‘
‘Nothing was too much trouble and I was completely comfortable throughout the process that everything was being handled well by the team.‘
‘The practice is well placed to represent a wide range of clients in all aspects of legal work – commercial and private.‘
‘I would single out the dept and breath of services and professionalism of the people.‘
‘Julie Hughes was excellent throughout – great understanding of our requirements and our structure, good attention to detail and quick to turn things around to meet a very tight timescale.‘
‘Craig Bowers was impressive and gave strong input into the documents and process, handling the other parties with ease.‘
Liberty Property Trust
CH1 Investment Partners LLP
AdEPT Technology Group Plc
Clydesdale Bank PLC
Close Brothers Property Finance
The Conduit/Lava Mayfair Club
- Assisting Liberty Property Trust with the refinancing of a portfolio of 13 properties located in England, Wales and Scotland with The Prudential Insurance Company of America.
- Providing regulatory and structuring advice on numerous alternative investment fund structures for high net worth investors.
- Acted for Holiday Extras Investments Limited on securing a £10m increase to the company’s existing revolving credit facility in place with RBS (from £19m to £29m).
- Acting for Santander on a wide range of secured lending instructions across a number of different sectors.
- Advised Handelsbanken on a number of secured lending instructions mainly on real estate projects in the range of £1m – £5m term loans.
The banking and finance team at Dentons is on the legal panel for several major UK banks, while also acting regularly for overseas banks as well as for high-profile regional and international borrowers. The practice’s sector specialism includes automotive, manufacturing, TMT, financial institutions and real estate. Peter Cox heads the practice. Senior associate Faye Garvey is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
HSBC UK Bank
Lloyds Banking Group
British Arab Commercial Bank
P J Care Group
Marshall Motor Holdings plc
- Acted for the Metro Bank on a strategic real estate finance deal.
- Acted for British Arab Commercial Bank on its provision of a £15m development term loan.
- Acted for PJ Care upon its refinancing of its then current term loan facility from Clydesdale through a new term loan facility Handelsbanken.
- Acted for NHBC in connection with a security package to help mitigate its risk.
- Acted for HSBC UK Bank on a £10m term loan to an AIM-listed customer.
DMH Stallard LLP advises banks, asset based lending and other financial providers on all aspects of banking and finance law. The practice has a number of high-profile bank panel appointments, while also acting for borrowers and guarantors. With offices in Brighton, Gatwick, Guildford and Horsham, the practice has a wide geographical coverage of the South East. Gwen Godfrey heads the team from Gatwick. Anne Milne and associate Elina Ong, who are also based in Gatwick are also recommended.
‘They are a friendly approachable team whilst always maintaining extremely high standards.‘
‘I know they are all extremely well qualified and experienced which gives me absolute faith when dealing with them and the firm has certainly become my one of choice when compared to others which we have used in the past.‘
‘The team are an absolute credit to the wider firm and I have no issue in constantly recommending them.‘
‘They are always looking for sensible solutions to problems and are responsive and flexible‘.
‘A highly experienced banking and property team in particular, who are easy to deal with, responsive and provide clear recommendations.‘
‘A very professional team, knowledgeable and approachable, they always try to simplify the matters without using a too much of a jargon.‘
‘Gwen Godfrey is fantastic at guiding clients through complicated matters and whilst she is firm with the other side, she also demonstrates the ability to work well with the other side’s counsel and client. She provides a very pragmatic approach and slick, supportive service for her clients. A joy to work with.‘
‘Anne Milne in particular is a highly experienced lawyer and is easy to deal with, from agreeing fee quotes with a simple and consistent formula, to providing regular updates and also clearly identifying potential issues, along with recommendations.’
‘I found Elina Ong to be a very professional team member, knowledgeable and approachable, she always tries to make the process as smooth as possible whilst putting the bank’s interest first. Elina is flexible and reachable whenever needed, a great partner to work with.‘
Leumi ABL Limited
- Represented Leumi ABL Limited on its acquisition finance for Venture Engineering Group Limited.
- Acting for a leading bank on the refinancing of a care home and the acquisition of another by means of a share purchase.
- Instructed by a bank to act for them in relation to a loan totalling £5.4m secured over various properties.
- Advised on development finance provided by a bank client for 12 flats in Tunbridge Wells.
- Instructed by a bank to act for them in relation to loans totalling £8.5m secured over various properties in London.
EMW Law LLP
EMW Law LLP’s banking and finance department advises lenders and high- profile borrowers, and specialises in the funding of management buy-outs and buy-ins, acquisitions, restructuring, funding arrangements for finance companies, as well as property investment and development funding. Matters often include cross-border and multi-jurisdictional elements. The team is well known for its expertise in the healthcare sector. Ian Mabbutt heads the practice in Milton Keynes. Jody Bingham, who splits time between Milton Keynes and London, is also recommended. Principal Sarah Naylor joined the Gatwick office from Irwin Mitchell in December 2017, while Milton Keynes’ Claire Wheatley arrived in January 2018 from Hill Dickinson LLP. Angela Stallard left for Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP in May 2018.
‘EMW Law LLP provide a solid property expertise with a very fleet of foot corporate team, ably supervised and coordinated by the banking team. All teams work smoothly as one, and ensure a seamless delivery.‘
‘EMW provide commercial, timely and proactive support.‘
‘A well established regional player with good knowledge of the local markets and businesses. They provide a full suite of legal services and have a strong reputation in providing corporate banking services to both clients and lenders.‘
‘Professional and responsive, competitive and sympathetic to the evolving demands of a client. Open and candid, clear and straightforward advice that is communicated in a concise and simplified manner that focuses on the facts that matter.‘
‘Ian Mabbutt is an experienced, pragmatic and excellent lawyer that is a real enabler for completing transactions.‘
‘Claire Wheatley is an intelligent and excellent lawyer who maintains a sense of humour throughout the transaction.‘
‘Jody Bingham is easily accessible and provides insightful solutions with commerciality at the fore.‘
‘Sarah Naylor is honest and goes above and beyond what it is expected.‘
IW Capital Limited
Milton Keynes YMCA Limited
Santander UK plc
Metro Bank plc
HSBC Bank plc
Clydesdale Bank plc
National Westminster Bank plc
AIB Group (UK) plc
The Royal Bank of Scotland plc
HSBC UK Bank plc
Coutts & Co
- Acted for HSBC UK Bank PLC in relation to the refinancing of The Deltic Group’s term loan and revolving credit facilities.
- Acted for Riverside Capital Group Limited on the £47.15m acquisition of Sherborne House on London’s Cannon Street, which involved £25.93m bank debt provided by Lloyds Banking Group.
- Acted for UK Fintech firm Paybreak Limited in connection with an additional £15m of funding with specialist banking group Paragon.
- Acted for the Metro Bank in connection with a £15m development loan advance to a member of the Caridon Group.
- Instructed by Milton Keynes YMCA Limited in relation to a development finance facility provided by Peveril Securities with regard to the construction and development of two new buildings.
The banking and finance team at Osborne Clarke assists both borrowers and lenders with a wide range of matters, from syndicated lending to acquisition financing and private equity transactions. The practice is based in the Thames Valley and has a strong sector focus on digital business, energy and utilities, financial services and real estate and infrastructure. Corporate finance, real estate finance and project finance are areas of expertise at the national and international level. Hugh Jones is the practice head; director Rebecca Scott and associate director Victoria Dingle are other names to note.
‘Great to work alongside. Able to bring in resource to address the normal “rush” towards closing out a transaction. Clear, concise and timely support.‘
‘Hugh Jones is readily available to discuss matters, overcome hurdles and is massively commercial.‘
The Royal Bank of Scotland
HSBC Bank Plc
Lloyds Bank Plc
Santander UK Plc
Bank of Ireland Corporate Banking
Clydesdale Bank Plc
Lloyds Development Capital
Growth Capital Partners
Investec Bank Plc
- Acted for Santander on the financing for Apiary Capital’s primary buyout of The Appointment Group.
- Acted for Beawertown Brewery on a minority investment by Heineken UK.
- Advised Alcuin on its purchase of Jigsaw24, the UK’s largest Apple reseller and leading provider of IT solutions to the corporate, creative and education sectors.
- Advised UK scale-up Natterbox on a significant Series A investment from Octopus Investments.
- Advised Endless LLP on disposal of Affinity to CRG.
Banking and finance work at Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP includes advising lenders and borrowers on finance agreements as well as support with both contentious and regulatory matters. The team specialises in complex advice on finance agency provisions, handling transactions which often involve overseas jurisdictions. On the contentious side, the practice is well versed in claims based on interest rate swap misselling and LIBOR rigging. Sector specialism on the borrower’s side includes healthcare, retail and social housing. Helen Drayton and John Chater, who was made partner in April 2019, are recommended, while Angela Stallard joined from EMW Law LLP in May 2018.
Shoosmiths LLP’s banking and finance team focuses on mid-market acquisition finance transactions, real estate finance and bespoke ABL transactions. The practice is on the panel of several clearing banks, and acts for private equity and venture capital companies and corporate borrowers. Work for funds and other debt investors is an area of growth. Sector specialism includes healthcare, marine, retail, telecoms, renewable energy and leisure. Rebecca Mauleverer heads the practice. Alexandra Triptree joined from Norton Rose Fulbright in October 2018.
Other key lawyers:
‘The speed of response is excellent.‘
‘The team talk through risks and are able to quickly and succinctly describe what the key areas of focus are.‘
‘Rebecca Mauleverer’s ability to get to the key issues quickly is excellent.‘
CDC Group Plc
Foundation Investment Partners
Anacap Financial Partners LLP
- Acted for LDC on its acquisition of Paladone International Limited.
- Advised CDC on a $15m debt facility to RFL Electronics in Bangladesh.
- Acted for Cohort Plc on its refinancing with a club of banks.
- Acted for Downing LLP on its investment in Pelham House Hotel.
- Advising Octopus in relation to its £4m VCT qualifying debt finance for City Pantry.
Stevens & Bolton LLP’s banking and finance team has in-depth expertise in acquisition finance, real estate finance and corporate debt financing and refinancing. Asset-based lending deals, bridge finance and trade finance are other areas of strength. The practice is also known for his high-profile work on the borrower side, advising corporate businesses of various sizes on negotiating banking facilities in conjunction with M&A and multilateral deals. Jonathan Porteous heads the practice. Andrew Dodds was made partner in May 2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘Jonathan Porteous is always available, with an incredible memory for complex details, and ability to give real practical advice rather than normal caveats from big firm lawyers. Good value.’
‘Andrew Dodds is super responsive and commercial. He knows our business so gets to the point quick when we need advice.‘
‘Andrew Dodds is incredibly accessible, efficient and gives straightforward advice even on the trickiest of subjects.‘
Merino Private Equity
Business Growth Fund
Allied Irish Bank
Lloyds Banking Group
- Acted for OakNorth on its refinancing of the Inn Collection pub and hospitality group.
- Acting for an English subsidiary of a large US borrower Anaplan on the accession of the group’s financing arrangements.
- Acted for Falcon Bridging Finance Limited on the launch of its bridge finance product for UK property transactions.
- Advised Business Growth Fund (BGF) on its equity and debt investment in Dianomi Limited, a high-growth technology company.
- Acted for Bakkavor Group plc on its £12m acquisition of Haydens Bakery Limited.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP’s Southampton banking and finance team has a strong reputation for its borrower and project finance work, while also acting for regional and national lenders and for a strong body of regional corporates. The practice specialises in the retail and manufacturing, energy and real estate sectors. Graham Jeffries heads the practice. Managing associate Cole Stacey is another key contact. Emma Earp left for Trethowans LLP in January 2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘An excellent team with wide ranging complementary skills across a number of sectors. A new international reach that has added significantly to the firm’s offering.‘
‘Great knowledge of the current market practices and timely responses. Good working relationship with the team.‘
‘Great knowledge, practical advice and good common sense.‘
‘Graham Jeffries’ team are first class delivering a highly professional, commercial and helpful service in a friendly and courteous manner. Cost information is clearly explained and accurate.‘
‘Graham Jeffries is an exceptional lawyer who not only covers the insolvency discipline with a wide and in-depth knowledge but also in the financial services and motor industry is able to provide an encyclopaedic knowledge. He is able to get that across in an understandable and clear way very quickly. He can make complex issues seem much simpler.‘
‘Graham Jeffries is head and shoulders above any other banking lawyer with whom I and my colleagues have dealt. He has the ability to combine attention to detail with clear and straightforward commercial advice. He does not try to score points with the other side but argues the points which are important with conviction.‘
‘I single out Graham Jeffries – quietly spoken, thoughtful but with a complete grasp of the issues which matter to you as a client. Unflappable even under extreme provocation. The consummate banking lawyer. I am privileged to have been able to work with him on numerous occasions.‘
Chemring Group PLC
VFS Legal Limited
Renewable Energy Systems Limited
Rockspring Property Investment Managers LLP
Santander UK PLC
Invest and Fund
Paragon Asset Finance
- Provision of ongoing advice and support in relation to a variety of Chemring’s financing requirements in the UK and the US, including in relation to its bilateral bonding and working capital lines, hedging and covenant re-sets with its banks and US noteholders.
- Advising on the standard documentation used by Invest and Fund and providing regulatory advice in conjunction with the financial services team.
- Provided The Renewable Infrastructure Group with support on all aspects of seeking bids from banks active in renewable financings to refinance £200m of existing project finance-based facilities provided by a variety of banks.
asb law LLP’s corporate finance and property specialists are well versed in a wide range of refinancing and bank-funded transactions. The team also acts for non-bank clients in relation to secured and unsecured lending, and for clients making private debt finance available to businesses either on a secured or unsecured basis. The practice has an aviation finance speciality. Recently promoted partner Daniel Tozer heads up the corporate finance team from Maidstone, while associate Jo Rovery in Crawley is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have found the whole team approachable, very knowledgeable and proactive in offering solutions.‘
‘I have a strong relationship with the firm based on a history of exceptional service and professional relations. They appreciate the business we submit to them and this is reflected in the work we receive.‘
‘They do what they say they are going to do. It puts me in a strong position where I can be confident it will not be my side delaying work progressing. They are an important part of the business I conduct. Everyone is very accessible and feedback is always timely and accurate.‘
‘Special mention to Jo Rovery.‘
Seventeen Group Limited
- Acted on behalf of the borrower on £25m refinance of a development loan to assist in acquisition and redevelopment of a retain and leisure site.
- Acting for Lloyds Bank in connection with a purchase loan and development loan to a developer borrower.
- Acting for Clydesdale Bank in relation to a £1.2m facility for the purpose of a share purchase by the borrower.
- Acted for long term client and serial acquirer Seventeen Group on a third refinancing with Clydesdale Bank.
Birketts LLP’s banking and finance practice acts as panel solicitor for high street banks as well as for some alternative lenders. Work includes a broad mixture of term loans, revolving credit facilities and development loans. The team deals with sophisticated international businesses and equity providers with which detailed inter-creditor arrangements have to be negotiated. Adam Jones heads the practice. Legal director Duncan Williamson is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent local firm, good level of resourcing and strong reputation.‘
‘Openness and willing to discuss cases and proposals at any time.‘
‘The level of technical expertise and critical thinking is fantastic.‘
‘Adam Jones is always available as a sounding board, and brings proactive ideas to the table during deals.‘
- Legal adviser to Santander UK on intercreditor arrangements with borrower’s VC house investor, UK group security package, organise Italian legal advice for Italian subsidiary, high-level input on facilities agreement, dealing with all conditions precedent.
- Legal adviser to Metro Bank on term loan facilities, detailed property due diligence and reporting, security package, dealing with all conditions precedent.
- Legal adviser to Lloyds Bank on revolving credit development loan facility to regional housebuilder to release funds for remaining phases of a 86 unit residential development.
- Acted for South Island Development in connection with its acquisition of an industrial estate in Chelmsford.
- Acted for The Finsbury Properties in connection with its acquisition of the freehold interest in a public house in London.
Field Seymour Parkes LLP’s team acts for lenders and borrowers on a wide range of matters, including corporate, acquisition and real estate finance, in additon to motor manufacturer finance, project finance (such as solar farms) and bridging finance for small developers. The practice is on the panels of a number of banks and financial institutions such as Santander, Clydesdale, NatWest and HSBC. John Barker heads the practice. Senior associate Alex Illingworth is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘They understand our needs and objectives and work hard to help us achieve them to the required timescales.‘
‘Excellent banking and property teams. Highly competent lawyers who provide practical, timely advice.‘
‘John Barker’s knowledge and attention to detail is invaluable.‘
Honda Finance Europe
National Westminster Bank
FSE Funds Managers
Berkshire College of Agriculture
- Acted for the sellers on the sale of the entire issued share capital of The Unbeatable Group Limited for a mixture of cash and loan note consideration.
- Advising Santander on a complicated secured loan.
- Acting for Santander on a substantial new-to-bank loan facility for six co-borrowing companies that are owned by various members of the same family.
- Advising FSE Group on the new fund for Enterprise M3 geographic area.
Irwin Mitchell focuses mainly on lenders, but also acts for borrowers, assisting clients with general commercial banking matters and secured lending to businesses. Expertise includes complex financings including real estate and development finance transactions. The team is well known for its specialism in the education sector. Daniel Webster heads the practice from the Gatwick office.
‘The team has an excellent understanding of the requirements of both the banks and the clients and comes up with a solution that works well for both sides.‘
‘The key strength is the proactive way in which they approach their work and the speed at which they execute the work they are involved with.‘
‘I find the team to be service orientated and easily approachable. As ever with most of the work we do prompt and pragmatic responses are required. These are always forthcoming from Irwin Mitchell.‘
‘Daniel Webster has always been pragmatic and helpful when I have asked questions and raised queries. He is happy to look at the issues from both sides and provide a solution which works all round.‘
National Westminster Bank plc/RBS
HSBC Bank plc
Lloyds Bank PLC
RBS Invoice Finance Limited
Arbuthnot & Latham
Artisan Real Estate Investors
Coutts & Co
- Acted for Lambeth College on the £10m refinancing of its existing facilities.
- Acted for Artisan Real Estate Investors Limited on its borrowing facilities to fund the development of a substantial site in Bristol.
- Advised NatWest on its £1.5m financing of the acquisition by Visual Data Media Services of Premier PR’s digital-media delivery and packaged authored-media services division.
- Acted for Royal Bank of Scotland on the provision of a loan facility to Queen’s College Oxford.
- Advised Arbuthnot Latham & Co on its provision of a facility to Archer House Residence.
Paris Smith LLP’s banking and finance department is divided into three specialist groups, which focus on acquisition finance, project and asset finance and property finance respectively. The client portfolio includes retail banking groups and a number of higher education institutions, as well as large retail and leisure entities. The practice is headed by James McNeil. Jonathon Roy and associate Liam Doughty are other key contacts.
‘Quick to respond and drive a deal forward. Very comprehensive and detailed approach.‘
‘James McNeil is a very thorough partner, demonstrating a strong legal awareness and knowledge and providing easy to understand guidance.‘
Santander UK plc
HSBC Bank plc
National Westminster Bank plc
Svenska Handelsbankend AB (publ)/Handelsbanken plc
Hampshire Trust Bank plc
Interbay Funding Limited
Yacht Havens Limited
RB Sport & Leisure Holdings plc
Metro Bank plc
Hampshire Community Trust Bank
- Acted for Yacht Havens Group Limited on a £14m refinance of its group companies.
- Acted for Time GB Holdings Limited on £13m acquisition of three holiday parks.
- Advised Haskins Garden Centres Limited on a £22.5m refinance to enable it to refinance current indebtedness and redevelop one of its garden centres.
- Advised Santander on a £3.4m term loan facility to an owner and operator of hotels to enable the borrower to acquire two new 3 star hotels.
- Advised Contraload NV, a Belgium-based logistics business, on its acquisition of Packaging Logistics Services Ltd from Bibby Line Group.
Trethowans LLP has a dedicated banking team acting for both lenders and borrowers on a variety of matters, including acquisition finance and property and development finance. It is also known for its experience on financing in the agriculture sector and restructuring and refinancing work. The practice is on the panel of the main banks active in the region. Sophie Eales heads the practice from the Southampton office. Other names to note are Nick Gent, who splits his time between Southampton and Bournemouth, Southampton’s property finance specialist Paul Longman and Emma Earp, who joined the Bournemouth office from Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP in January 2019.
‘Very approachable, flexible and easy to work with. Good with keeping me up to date on progress.’
‘Quality advice, value for money.‘
‘Sophie Eales is approachable, easy to work with and reacts quickly to my needs.‘
‘I recommend Emma Earp – very good client care, pro-active and efficient and deep knowledge of her practice area.‘
Rowanmoor Trustees Limited
Gentian Partnerships Limited
Spire Payments Limited
Saint-Gobain Building Distribution Limited
R&M Electrical Group Limited
- Acting for Santander UK in amending and restating its loan portfolio with a highly regarded luxury hotel group.
- Acting for Lloyds Bank in connection with the provision of a new revolving credit facility to a significant hotel and leisure sector customer.
- Acting for HSBC UK Bank in connection with the provision of a revolving credit facility to a global electronic invoicing firm with bases in several jurisdictions.
- Acting for HSBC UK Bank in connection with the provision of a revolving credit facility to an award-winning private specialist mental health services provider and researcher.
- Acting for R&M Electrical Group Limited in respect of its management buyout (MBO).
BDB Pitmans' banking and finance team advises banks, lenders and borrowers on a wide range of matters, including acquisition finance, corporate debt and equity restructuring, corporate finance and equity investments in addition to restructuring and insolvency issues. Stephanie Perry heads the practice and Roger Gregory, who splits time between Reading, Southampton and London, is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
Brachers’s corporate, banking and finance practice is well known in the region for its position on HSBC’s national corporate lending panel, advising the bank on revolving credit facilities and other complex matters. The teams also assists clients with acquisition finance, refinancing and debt restructuring. James Bullock heads the practice. Matthew Simmonds is another name to note. Former asb law LLP corporate finance head Claire Williams joined the team in September 2019.
HSBC Bank PLC
Premier Ground Rents
- Advised HSBC Bank and HSBC Finance on its new lending facilities provided to the Kit for Kids Group.
- Advised three private individuals on their debt and equity investment into Hammer Horror Film Studio.
- Advised HSBC Bank on its funding of the acquisition of a majority shareholding in one of the UK’s largest Domino’s Pizza franchises.
- Advised HSBC Bank on its funding of the acquisition of shares and redemption of loan votes in GSRG Holding.
- Advised HSBC Bank on its funding of the acquisition of shares in the Data Pricing Hub.
IBB (Iliffes Booth Bennett)
Including lawyers within the corporate and real estate departments, IBB (Iliffes Booth Bennett)’s banking and finance team specialises in drafting and negotiating facility documentation such as term loans, revolving credit facilities, overdrafts, guarantees and related security documentation. It advises lenders and client borrowers on structuring and restructuring transactions and working on the establishment and operation of collective investment schemes. Clients are from the construction, residential development and planning, franchising, technology, hospitality and leisure, healthcare and charity sectors. Gemma Coles heads the practice.
‘Proactive relationship-focused team of professionals. Strong performers in real estate transactions. Competitive pricing. Service driven.‘
‘IBB has been my preferred law firm to work with for a number of years. The process is efficient from instruction to drawdown and IBB will always go the extra mile to work to a client’s timescales. The people at IBB are commercial and offer sensible advice. As an outside of London firm IBB offer value for money for the quality of work that they do.‘
‘Gemma Coles is a progressive solicitor with strong real estate background, a commercially-minded individual who provides clear advice and recommendations.‘
‘Gemma is personable and builds good relationships with the banking teams and other solicitors involved in the case. She is also very knowledgeable and is happy to answer questions if I need a quick opinion.‘
AIB Group (UK) Plc
National Westminster Bank Plc
Secure Trust Bank plc
- Advised AIB on a secured term loan facility.
- Advised a residential property developer on a secured term loan facility from Close Brothers.
Mundays LLP’s banking and finance team acts for leading global and national financial institutions as well as for sophisticated corporate borrowers. The practice is well known for its cross-border capabilities, which include expertise in Islamic finance. The practice is headed by consultant Mark Andrew, who has dual UK and US qualifications. Gemma James and Neale Andrews are other names to note.
Ahli United Bank
The team at PDT Solicitors specialises in asset and invoice finance, acting for a number of ABLs and cash flow finance providers and advising on client mergers, acquisitions and demergers. The practice is well versed in assisting clients with documentation, dispute resolution issues, debt recovery, fraud and insolvency. The main contacts are Noel Ruddy, who heads the corporate department, co-heads of dispute resolution Nigel Davidson and William Angas and insolvency specialist Dawn Shadwell.