Birketts LLP assists clients with economic and personal immigration issues, including spouse visas, naturalisation applications and applications under the EU settlement scheme. Clare Hedges, who is based in Cambridge, regularly assists employers with the protection of EEA nationals working in the UK post-Brexit. In addition, she regularly advises clients on Sponsor Licence applications and matters relating to the Prevention of Illegal Working Act. Janice Leggett, who is based in Chelsmford, stands out for her niche in immigration matters in the film industry, including the employment of foreign workers under various visa types.
Immigration in South East
Other key lawyers:
‘Very professional with a strong working knowledge of immigration law and legislative developments in the field.’
‘Birketts was amazing throughout the whole process. Janice Leggett was extremally helpful and always knew what was needed. She ensured we had all relevant information to ensure I had the best possible chance of attaining a visa.’
‘I worked with Janice Leggett, she was extremely helpful and knowledgeable throughout the process of attaining my visa. She was always keeping me up to date with the whole process and ensured everything was arranged in the best possible way.’
‘Very professional with vast knowledge with regard to immigration and workings of government institutions.’
Advertising Producers Association
Flutter Entertainment PLC
SCA Investments Limited t/a Gousto
Eatron Technologies Limited
Stink Films Limited
Hitachi Capital (UK) PLC
NFC Homes Limited
Element Energy Limited
Zap London Limited
- Assisting Advertising Producers Association with a variety of issues, largely concerning film crew entering the UK for short term film projects.
- Advising SCA Investments t/a Gousto in relation to a number of applications under Tier 2 General and Skilled worker visa routes.
- Advising Paddy Power Betfair regarding visa applications and its licence to assign Certificates of Sponsorship.
Recognised for its 'excellent support and commitment', Clarkslegal LLP has expertise in all forms of business immigration, ranging from securing employer sponsorship licenses to handling immigration enforcement notices. Also of note is the firm's work for investors, entrepreneurs and businesses seeking to enter markets through various different routes, including the use of start-up and innovator visas. Monica Atwal has a strong track record of advising companies on the global transfer of staff and incorporation in the UK, while associate Hamza Malik regularly assists senior executives with the visa application process.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent support and commitment. Provide good and practical advice.’
‘The individuals I have worked with at Clarkslegal are very knowledgeable and helpful.’
‘Commitment, knowledge, timely and sincere are the hallmark of the individuals who worked with us.’
Jardine Motors Group UK Limited
Tetra Tech Inc
United for Global Mental Health
- Advising Jardine Motors Group on various immigration issues, including assisting in connection with the international transfer of members of staff from Hong Kong to the UK.
- Assisting a global network company (headquartered in the US) with a range of corporate immigration matters relating to its international business operations.
- Assisting a major company with various matters, including advising on its duties as a licensed sponsor.
Duncan Lewis Solicitors‘ ‘very attentive and passionate’ team is well-positioned to handle a wide range of high-stakes personal immigration cases, including judicial reviews involving human rights, civil liberty and social welfare issues faced by migrants travelling to the UK. It is also well known for advising companies on business immigration work, ranging from points-based system applications and appeals to securing entrepreneur and investor visas. Toufique Hossain has developed a strong reputation for his legal aid work on behalf of asylum seekers, encompassing litigation before the Administrative Court, Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. Zofia Duszynska has a similar focus, having represented vulnerable immigrants in disputes involving modern slavery, human trafficking and gender-based persecution elements. Ahmed Aydeed, Bahar Ata and Rohena Wallace are also recommended for their work in the field of personal immigration.
Other key lawyers:
Ahmed Aydeed; Bahar Ata; Rohena Wallace; Tamana Aziz; Toufique Hossain; Vicash Ramkissoon; Zofia Duszynska
‘Duncan Lewis is the leading immigration firm, with extensive experience in immigration appeals, judicial reviews and immigration civil and public law matters. They have a very large team with many excellent practitioners. They are able to take on a large caseload. I believe Duncan Lewis is one of the most diverse firms in the immigration field.’
‘The practice really invested a lot of time in my case, countless hours were spent researching and preparing my case which was evident from the trial bundle put forward. I was dealt with in a very sensitive manner and informed about all procedures and updates as and when they became available. I believe the team work well together and compliment each other. Although my case is quite unique they took time out to visit me outside of the UK where we spent four solid days discussing and preparing my defence.’
‘They take your case seriously and every representation at the courts is handled with utmost due diligence and attention to detail. As you work with them during the duration of your case, you feel a sense of confidence and security.’
‘Bahar Ata – professional, and compassionate lawyer, well-informed and keeps the client constantly updated via emails as well as phone calls.’
‘Zofia Duszynska is creative, dedicated and thorough and able to think outside the box.’
‘Bahar Ata is an exceptional lawyer who works tirelessly for her clients. She is vigorous, hard nosed and savvy.’
- Obtained a judgment in the Upper Tribunal on behalf of an asylum seeker, which recognised for the first time in UK asylum law that a ‘person living with a disability of mental health problem’ may qualify as a member of a particular social group.
- Represented a client in a unique challenge to the Home Office’s detention policy within the context of the Covid-19 crisis.
- Advised a client in an appeal to the Special Immigration Appeals Commission against a decision to deprive them of their British citizenship on as a result of national security concerns.
Stevens & Bolton LLP focuses primarily on business immigration issues, but has seen an increase in personal immigration mandates recently. The team regularly assists clients with Skilled Worker applications, EU Settlement Scheme arrangements, sponsor licenses and TUPE transfers. Kerry Garcia advises clients in a number of sectors, including the healthcare, technology and entertainment industries, with respect to all contentious and non-contentious employment law and immigration matters. Managing associate Jackie Penlington regularly advises clients on naturalisation and registration applications.
Other key lawyers:
‘Stevens & Bolton are a very knowledgeable and client-centric firm. They keep us proactively informed on a regular basis regarding any upcoming changes to immigration law.’
‘S&B played a great role in terms of communicating the legal requirements clearly and on time, enabling us to make a decision on sponsoring employees from overseas.’
‘Jackie Pennington took the burden away from us to deal with a complex immigration application and successfully completed the process.’
Asahi International Ltd/Asahi UK Ltd
Accord Healthcare Limited
Papa John’s (GB) Limited
BMI Group Holdings UK Limited
Anders Electronics Plc
Domino Data Lab Limited
RBB Economics LLP
Spin Master Toys UK Limited
Faronics EMEA Limited
- Advising Asahi UK Ltd and Asahi International Ltd in relation to all UK immigration matters and acting as Level 1 Users.
- Advising Accord Healthcare Limited in relation to all UK immigration matters, including sponsor compliance and assisting with a number of immigration applications.
- Advising Diebold Nixdorf in relation to a complex Indefinite Leave to Remain application for one of its Tier 2 employees.
B P Collins LLP specialises in advising corporate clients on obtaining sponsor licenses, and regularly acts in the capacity of a Level 1 User for clients, with a particular focus on the architecture, manufacturing, finance and pharmaceuticals industries. 'Experienced and personable' practice head Chris Brazier handles a broad portfolio of immigration matters; he is particularly experienced in handling sponsor license obligations, settled status issues and indefinite leave to remain applications. Kathryn Fielder is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is unique in its crossover between employment and immigration law. Associate and partners are well-placed to advise on overlapping issues. Few firms are able to provide this valuable advice to clients.’
‘Chris Brazier is completely down to earth but also on top of the detail. He is a safe pair of hands for individuals and companies alike.’
‘Clients like and trust Kathryn Fielder. She delivers difficult advice with grace and will fight for her clients.’
Vestel UK Limited
Ceva Animal Health Limited
The Amtico Company Limited
Dentons is well known for advising employers in relation to the EU settlement scheme and visa arrangements in light of Brexit. It is also recognised for supporting companies with issues arising as a result of the pandemic, including the retention and recruitment of foreign staff. Senior associate Verity Buckingham handles various immigration and global mobility matters for corporate clients, illustrated by the fact she holds Level 1 User status on many sponsor management systems. Associate Rhona Azir is noted for her expertise in business and personal immigration arrangements.
Other key lawyers:
‘A solid reputable team working together for years.’
‘Verity Buckingham was outstanding in advising on every matter however large or small. She has great attention to details, was able to advice promptly on frequently changing rules. I worked with her over the years and the quality of service was impeccable.’
‘The Dentons team is responsive and flexible enough to answer questions on a wide variety of topics. They also have contacts around the world in the event I need legal advice in a country in which they do not operate.’
‘The team are knowledgeable, responsive and assist effectively with small and more complex queries.’
‘Verity Buckingham provides thoughtful information on a variety of employment and immigration questions.’
ADAM Asset Management Ltd
Banijay UK Limited
Sonia Friedman Productions Ltd
SZ DJI Technology Co Ltd
United Artists Corporation Limited
Fortna UK Limited
Ocean Partners UK Limited
The KCS Group Europe Limited
The Corporation of the Hall of Arts and Sciences
TUI Airways Limited
- Advised Fortna UK in relation to complex global mobility issues arising from the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advised TUI Airways in relation to complex issues arising from Brexit and Covid-19.
- Advised The Corporation of the Hall of the Arts and Sciences (Royal Albert Hall) in relation to securing extension of a key migrant worker’s UK visa.
DMH Stallard LLP has seen an increase in instructions from multinationals looking to enter the UK market, which involves providing strategic advice on visa sponsorship programmes and TUPE transfers in light of Brexit, among other areas. Adam Williams has significant experience in immigration and employment law, with a primary focus on assisting employers with handling visa sponsorship and compliance matters; he is also well-versed in business immigration disputes. Associate Phillip Vallon advises a broad spectrum of companies in relation to tier 2 sponsorship programmes and related areas of business immigration issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Adam Williams and his team are great. They are easy to get hold of, approachable, friendly and always provide timely answers to our queries.’
‘They understand our business and support both head office and factory sites with immigration arrangements.’
‘With regard to assisting us with applying for sponsorship licenses for all businesses, Adam Williams has provided superb support. In Adam’s absence, Philip Vallon has been a great figure of support.’
‘Adam Williams was our point person – he was willing and able to address all of our concerns. We are so grateful for his professional demeanour and expertise!’
Ambipar Response Limited
Outfit7 Brit Limited
Hanover Displays Limited
- Advised Change, Grow, Live on changes to the points-based immigration system, including advice on the applicability of the new “Health and Care” visa to a specific subset of the client’s roles.
- Advised a leading aviation recruitment provider on the potential application of the “Aircrew” exemption under section 8(1) of the Immigration Act 1971 to EU national pilots flying planes in and out of the UK, post-Brexit.
- Advised an Australian winery on the immigration aspects of its setting up of a new UK branch and the transition of a senior individual to the UK to lead the new office.
Fisher Jones Greenwood LLP has considerable expertise in personal immigration law, with a particular focus on human rights matters, asylum and childcare issues and trafficking claims. The 'extraordinarily hardworking and effective' Ashlee Campbell is known for handling legal aid work litigation, with a focus on disputes regarding unaccompanied minors, domestic abuse and human rights violations.
‘The team are unique in terms of being able to grapple with and prepare complex asylum and immigration claims on behalf of vulnerable migrants, including unaccompanied minors, to a high standard.’
‘Ashlee Campbell has an incredible eye for detail and at the same time manages to be efficient.’
‘Strong statutory appeal practice; particularly with unaccompanied minor asylum seekers. Good links with local authorities. Very responsive in dealing with the courts and liaising with counsel.’
‘They run a busy practice with exceptional efficiency, providing services in a much needed sector which are otherwise largely unavailable in the region.’
‘Very good indeed specialist immigration practice working with unaccompanied asylum seekers.’
‘Ashlee Campbell is very committed and fantastically knowledgeable when it comes to working with unaccompanied asylum seekers. Excellent solicitor all round!’
Suffolk Social Services
Norfolk Social Services
- Advising Suffolk Social Services in relation to all cases of unaccompanied minors seeking asylum in the UK, in addition to domestic abuse and trafficking cases.
- Advising Norfolk Social Services in relation to all cases involving unaccompanied minors seeking asylum in the UK, in addition to domestic abuse and trafficking cases.
Barnes Harrild & Dyer
With notable expertise in personal immigration law, Barnes Harrild & Dyer handles various asylum and human rights issues, including legal aid work. Paul Turner regularly represents clients in high-profile disputes before the Court of Appeal and First Tier Tribunal.
Doyle Clayton‘s ‘exceptionally knowledgeable and reliable’ team handles various sponsor licence applications, Skilled Worker applications and Tier 5 applications. Former practice head Victoria Burnip left the firm to join Knights plc in June 2021.
‘Doyle Clayton is exceptionally reliable and knowledgeable. They have a great contact with their clients as well.’
- Advised a client on the delivery of LearJets to the Government of an EU country from overseas, taking place in Scotland, which was affected by Covid-19 restrictions.
- Assisted several senior employees of a global management consultancy with their visa processes during lockdown, including obtaining the right for one client to leave the country whilst his application was pending to say goodbye to a terminally ill relative.
- Assisted a London-based management consultancy with the process of overturning its licence suspension, which involved negotiations with the Home Office.
With notable expertise in the technology, entertainment and manufacturing sectors, IBB Law focuses primarily on business immigration work. Predominantly, it handles the process of tier 2 sponsor licensing, Sponsor Management System compliance and management mandates. Richard Devall leads the practice, handling a broad portfolio of visa applications and sponsor arrangements for investors and corporates.
‘The immigration team are extremely personable and have a good knowledge of their subject. They are practical and provide solutions to clients.’
Avata UK Ltd
4PX Express UK Ltd
Link Theory (UK) Ltd
Give Back Yoga Foundation