Corporate and commercial: Kent, Surrey, Sussex in South East
Clyde & Co LLP's Guildford team serves clients ranging from mid-sized to global, with an especially strong roster of energy clients. Simon Vere Nicol's experience spans public and private company corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and private equity transactions and much of his work has an international element. Nick Purnell serves clients in a range of sectors including marine/shipping and the wider transportation and logistics sectors, while Richard Elks has a focus on real estate work. Legal director John Hopper is noted for his negotiating skills.
Simon Vere Nicol
‘John Hopper is extremely good at understanding and explaining how a point would play out in future negotiations – he can see to the horizon of a negotiation and help us make the right decisions upfront. He also really understands the nuances of the relationship between commercial/practical factors and legal factors and can balance them well. He treats me like his most important client and always has time for me.’
Liberty House Group
P&O Maritime BV
NoBe Living Holdings
Anglo International Shipping Group
Wyelands Property Holdings
Urban and Civic PrincessStreet
Harbour Hotels Group
- Lead counsel on Liberty Industries France’s $500m purchase of Europe’s largest aluminum smelter from Rio Tinto.
- Advising on the $20.4m purchase of 51% of P&O Maritime’s joint venture with TIS Group to provide vessel towing services in Ukraine.
- Lead UK counsel in the preparation of the main and ancillary documents in relation to the sale of OSM Maritime. The deal was cross-jurisdictional and involved a complicated group restructuring prior to the partial divestment of OSM’s shares to Oaktree.
- Advising SIMEC on the sales of the entire issued share capital of SIMEC Uskmouth Power, the owner of a coal-fired power station in Newport, to Atlantis Resources.
- Acting for iSec and Greenergy on a joint venture for the redevelopment of Thames Enterprise Park (Thames Gateway).
The substantial team at Cripps Pemberton Greenish handles large-scale M&A deals, has a well-established stream of private equity work and attracts international clients. It is also taking on increasing amounts of work in the advertising, media and technology sectors. James Beatton has extensive experience advising shareholders and on MBOs; Nigel Stanford handles M&A, banking and investment work and Julie Hughes has a focus advising French clients on their UK businesses and investments.
James Beatton; Nigel Stanford; Pete Kenyon
Other key lawyers:
Salim Somjee; Julie Hughes
‘What makes this firm unique is the team. They have great knowledge of the difference between French and English law systems and have so much sector expertise.’
Chapel Down Group PLC
Park Holidays UK Limited
East Kent College
Local Planet International
Kent Frozen Foods
Accor Hotel Services UK
- The firm advised the shareholders of Kent Frozen Foods on the company’s sale to Brake Bros. The shareholders consisted of various trusts, family members and the management team, all of which had differing interests.
- Acted for the sellers on the sale of their shares in VITL (the holding company for Integrated Technologies) to Gooch & Housego PLC.
- Advised members of the Pack family in relation to the management buyout of Holiday Extras in a deal that valued the business at £100m.
- Acted for Uniguest on its acquisition of Onelan. Uniguest is a US corporate backed by US private equity firm Atlantic Street Capital.
- Advised the shareholders of Diamond Point International on the sale of the company to the Swedish quoted group, Addtech.
The substantial and growing DMH Stallard LLP team now includes corporate finance expert Helen Mead, who joined from asb law LLP. The 'knowledgeable and effective' practice serves a range of large and upcoming regional businesses on the the gamut of M&A, private equity and joint venture transactions and many of its transactions involve an international element. Jonathan Grant heads the group and, together with the highly rated Abigail Owen and Kate Norgett, offers extensive skills across corporate deals.
‘From my initial phonecall to completion some 12 months later I felt confident that they understood my fears and my needs.’
‘They provide a broad legal offering, which covers many disciplines. This allows them to provide flexible advice to its clients from an office unit that covers the local region.’
‘Kate Norgett has a vast experience of MBOs. As in all business transactions professionalism is paramount and key to bringing delicate negotiations to a successful conclusion. I would unhesitatingly recommend this firm without reservation.’
‘Kate Norgett made herself available often at short notice to assist with matters. It was a difficult transaction, but her calm demeanour gave her the edge, helping to keep the transaction on track.’
‘Abigail Owen is knowledgeable and professional and has an ability to put a client at ease.’
Autobox Machinery/ British Converting Solutions
Hunt and Palmer PLC
Pelham Principal Holdings/Pelham companies
Valens Resources Group plc
- Acted for individual sellers on the sale of the entire shareholding in Autobox Machinery and British Converting Solutions and two international subsidiaries in the US and Mexico, to international manufacturing group Kolbus.
- Advised on an international merger with RoomsXML Solutions, an Indian group which operates on a number of continents.
- Advised the global, bespoke air charter business on its acquisition of the entire share capital of a competitor business, Aircraft Chartering Services.
- Advised on the on the sale of Glazewing; the two businesses had been acquired and subsequently, the commercial waste business was sold to Veolia.
In addition to M&A mandates from private businesses and smaller PLCs, Irwin Mitchell attracts a range of private equity and venture capital work, with Dan Bastide leading the small cap group. Regional managing partner Faye Bargery, who 'runs a tight ship', is highly experienced in corporate and commercial matters, especially where private equity is concerned; Stuart Padgham overseas the commercial work and has a background in the IT industry, and Dan Hedley is well rated by technology clients.
Dan Bastide; Stuart Padgham
‘The team has very profound knowledge in the IT sector.‘
‘Their in-depth familiarity and first-hand experience of IT matters helps a lot. They have shown an outstanding ability to manage complex customer, partner and supplier relationships, a strong business acumen and therefore good capability to stay pragmatic on legal matters while keeping an eye on what the business actually needs.’
Destiny Pharma plc
Air Partner plc
Micheldever Tyre Services
- In a matter valued at £15m, the firm advised Gamfook Jewellery plc on its admission to trading on the NEX exchange. The client is the Jersey holding company of a Hong Kong-based business and the team also co-ordinated the group reorganisation and due diligence and the disclosure process across Jersey, Hong Kong and China.
- Advised VC fund Toba Capial on an investment of $18.5m into Seal Software Group.
- Advised Chesney’s on investment from the Business Growth Fund.
- Advised in connection with a fundraising by way of the issue of £1m warrants and £500,000 equity.
- Advised a logistics service aggregator on the provision of its services and technology platform to a household name retailer.
The team at Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP is highly rated by the market. National corporate head Simon Bickerdike, the 'commercially-minded' David Kendall and associate Hannah McIlwraith assist regional and international clients on high-value acquisitions, MBOs and joint ventures. They also handle private equity-funded transactions and the firm also offers multi-discipline expertise, especially in IP. The practice was enhanced in April 2019 with the hire of Seb Orton from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP.
‘Great all-round advice.’
‘David Kendall is an outstanding adviser. He’s someone you want on your side. He has the intelligence, people skills and legal knowledge that make him an essential partner for our business.’
Blue Oil Energy
Rough Guides Limited
Barfoots of Botley Limited
Tata Consultancy Services
The Hub Pharmacy
Total Solutions (Southern)
Artemis Venue Services
- Advised this Indian public company on its £10m investment in UK electrical vehicle manufacturer Tevva Motors.
- Advised on the acquisition of Pelham House in East Sussex and its joint venture with Downing.
- Acted for Paul Bateman and Luke Hersee on their management buy-out of Total Solutions (Southern) Limited (t/a Total Rail Solutions). The MBO was backed by private equity firm Rutland Partners.
- Working with a Hong Kong firm, advised this Hong Kong-listed client on a multi-million-pound investment in UK mixed reality company Holovis.
- Working with an Indian firm, assisted this multinational IT service and consulting company on the acquisition of W12 Studios, an award-winning digital design studio based in London.
Stevens & Bolton LLP, which is considered 'pre-eminent' in the market, can mobilise large, multi-disciplinary teams that provide expertise in areas from tax to competition issues. Its clients range from owner-managed to private equity and international businesses. James Waddell heads the corporate offering, while Beverley Whittaker leads on the commercial side. Richard Baxter is experienced in mergers, acquisitions, corporate restructurings and fundraisings, while Keith Syson's expertise lies in company law.
James Waddel; Beverley Whittaker
Broker Network Partner Holdings
Bakkavor Group plc
James Purdey & Sons
Fuller Smith & Turner plc
Immersive Games Lab
Shareholders of iCareHealth
International Schools Partnership Limited
Shareholders of Inzpire Group
Business Growth Fund
Anheuser Busch InBev
- A multi-disciplinary team advised CANCOM, one of the leading providers of IT infrastructure in Germany and Austria, on two UK acquisitions.
- Advised the company and the management team on the sale of Metasphere to growth equity investors XPV Water Partners.
- Advised on the acquisition of Haydens Bakery from Real Good Food Plc for £12m.
- Advised longstanding client Fullers on two acquisitions.
- Advised on the £36.5m sale of the Global Voucher Group to GoCompare.com Group.
Brachers assists clients on high-value acquisitions and financing deals as well as complex commercial transactions and contracts in a host of different sectors, with a roster of clients featuring major banks and other financial institutions. James Bullock has led on many of the largest, regional acquisitions and Erol Huseyin has a track record in energy and industrial projects.
James Bullock; Erol Huseyin
Other key lawyers:
Matthew Simmonds; Tim Turner
APC Technology Group Plc
DMC Capital Partners
UK Medical Limited
Broad Oak Motor Group
- Advised the founder shareholders of the British Assessment Bureau on the sale of the company to an MBO team supported by August Equity.
- Advised on the sale of the business and assets of theTenbloc business and advised the shareholders of sister company, TM (Technology), on the share sale of TM (Technology). The sales were simultaneously completed and were sold to Norwegian multinational Elkem ASA.
- Advised APC Technology Group Plc on its third acquisition of the year; Aspen Electronics, which also involved a share placing on AIM.
- Brachers LLP’s corporate team advised the investors on their debt and equity investment into the client company.
- Advised on the acquisition of various pharmaceutical licences from Kinedexe UK in relation to both the UK and Europe.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP attracts clients from a broad range of industries and has an impressive roster of healthcare, pharmacy and veterinary clients, as well as private equity houses. It provides a full service in addition to its corporate expertise, working in tandem with its London colleagues. Geoffrey Sparks leads the team; Tim Jenkins is especially noted for his healthcare focus and Catherine Drew's broad corporate expertise includes the healthcare sector. Associate Jonathan Steele is noted for his client handling abilities and practical advice and Rebecca Burford is highly rated.
‘Very accessible, responsive, measured and adept at explaining complex legal issues in straightforward terms, providing an excellent service to their clients. A London-quality practice in Guildford.’
‘They are technically very competent and they have particular expertise in pharmacy matters. They offer a genuine alternative to the London marketplace.‘
‘Jonathan Steele is especially good with clients and a joy to work with. He is very hardworking, easily accessible at all times, and delivers high-quality, practical advice.’
‘Tim Jenkins has an ingrained culture of practicality, whilst giving very sound legal advice.’
‘Tim Jenkins has unique experience on pharmacy matters and is able to cut through the regulation to find pragmatic solutions.’
discoverIE Group plc
London Irish Holdings
Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
Sellers of Xstrahl Limited and Phoenix Objectives
Goddard Veterinary Group
- Advised on the £18m sale of the entire issued share capital of the Xstrahl group of companies to private equity firm Risk Capital.
- Assisted on the purchase of eight pharmacy businesses across two parallel corporate transactions (the purchase of the entire issued share capital of Davison Chemists and Dhesi Healthcare).
- Advising on an acquisition of the Santon Group via holding company EWAC Holdings BV. The deal value is an initial £23.7m with a further £19.9m contingent.
- Acted for this Spanish Co-operative on its acquisition of the Micron Group, a transaction worth £12.5m.
- Acted for the sellers of the leading multi-site veterinary practice Rainbow Equine Hospital to VetPartners Limited.
The Mundays LLP team, which is headed by Neale Andrews, handles a broad range of commercial and corporate matters with a focus on the real estate sector. David Irving has particular expertise in the logistics and life sciences sectors and has extensive experience of cross-border transactions, while consultant Mark Andrew, who is UK- and US-qualified, has extensive experience in assisting global clients on banking and finance, private equity and M&A deals.
Elite Care Scotland
Global Logistics Group/B&H Worldwide
Kenneth Green Associates
Prestige Nursing and Stemmer Imaging
Sunshine Cruise Holidays
- Advised Sunshine Cruise Holidays (including Royal Caribbean Cruises) on the sale of the company and its Australian and Singaporean subsidiaries to Germany-based, Dreamlines.
The team at Thomson Snell & Passmore attracts impressive regional work, including from international clients, particularly on inward investments and acquisitions. Joanne Gallagher is hugely experienced in M&A and private equity transactions, and together with Keith McAlister and associate Faye Cook, the team also tackles corporate demergers, other restructurings and share buybacks.
‘There is a great mix of personalities and talents, they are legally astute, commercially aware, well resourced and enjoyable to work with.’
‘I have complete faith in their ability to service clients when making referrals.’
‘Joanne Gallagher is always careful to ensure she fully understands what we are trying to achieve commercially, despite often challenging timescales and circumstances, she is one of the best.‘
‘Joanne Gallagher, Faye Cook and the corporate team have always dealt with matters quickly and thoroughly with attention to detail, whilst remaining commercial.’
Corinthian Pension Consulting
Nurture Landscapes Holdings
FORTEC Elektronik AG
Britannia Refined Metals (Part of Glencore)
- Advised on the sale of 14 Costa Coffee stores across Surrey and Kent.
- Advised on a venture capital (debt and equity) investment from Octopus Investments.
- Advised the shareholders of pensions adviser Corinthian Group on the sale of a majority equity interest to the AIM-listed Just Group.
- Advised longstanding client on its acquisition of two Hyundai digital stores in Bluewater and Westfield and its acquisition of the Hyundai Aftersales Centre in Dartford.
- Advised the client and its and its UK subsidiaries on the acquisition of UK-based distributors, Components Bureau and Display Solutions.
Claire Williams now heads the team at asb law LLP following the departure of corporate finance specialist Helen Mead to DMH Stallard LLP in April 2019. The firm offers a full range of expertise on corporate/M&A transactions together with financing, shareholding restructures and private equity. Of late, the practice has been especially active assisting longstanding clients on acquisitions and sales.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team was friendly and helpful, flexible when circumstances became more challenging during the company sale, and overall were nice people to deal with.’
Shareholders of Jollyes Retail Group
Shareholders of Camberford Law
Shareholders of Clinical Trials Laboratory Services
Shareholders of Engenuity
The Partners of St Bart’s Day Nurseries
Minority Venture Partners
Shareholders of Grosvenor International Systems
The Oyster Partnership Ltd
Shareholders of Ski Amis
- Advised the shareholders on the sale to a management team, backed by Kester Capital, an independent mid-market private equity firm, with debt funding from HSBC.
- Acted for a longstanding client on its investment into a joint venture to develop a new app for consumers with insurance technology firm RDT.
- Advised the partners on the sale of the business and its assets to charity Action for Children.
- Advised on the sale of the entire issued share capital of Grosvenor International Systems to BluJay Solutions.
Barlow Robbins LLP is known for its focus on the life sciences and technology sectors, serving SMEs, AIM-listed companies, private equity houses, schools and charities. It combines its corporate skills with practices in tax, employment and real estate and includes expertise in complex share buyback transactions. Mark Lucas' extensive experience includes a focus on mergers in the education sector and associates Ian McDonald and Graham Jewel, who trained at City firms, and Matthew Devine, assist on a range of M&A transactions and corporate matters. The team has been enlarged with the hire of corporate partner Tim Matthews from Brown Rudnick LLP in mid-2018.
‘I really appreciate that the team is local, but has international experience.’
‘I greatly valued their integrity and timely responses.’
‘Matthew Devine is as sharp as a razor and completely dedicated to his job. I found him very easy to work with. Always several steps ahead looking at every angle and very fast to respond during and outside office hours.’
The Federation of Racecourse Bookmakers
- Assisted the client with its £7m acquisition of AIR Studios and also advised on the related employment law issues.
- Assisted on the purchase of Incereb Limited which involved several convertible loan notes.
- Acted for the client on UK corporate regulatory matters, including the shareholder approval circular pertaining to the sale of its USA pharmaceutical business.
- Advising the CEO, CFO and minority shareholders on shareholder issues in connection with the purchase of the Italmatch Group by Bain Capital.
- Advising Arcona Capital Project BV on the refinancing agreements relating to a €46.2m loan facilitiy with an English lender.
Clarkson Wright & Jakes
Clarkson Wright & Jakes' clients are largely made up of owner-managed SMEs, many of which are assisted throughout company lifecycle. Ben Madden heads the team, which handles investments, acquisitions and disposals as well as management buyouts and reorganisations. Andrew Wright brings international experience to clients and assists AIM companies, assisted by associate Dalvinder Dhinsa who joined the team in January 2019 from Whitehead Monckton.
- Advised on a management buyout to enable a director to retire.
- Acting for sellers of shares to another company.
- Advised on financial restructuring taking equity and investment.
The team at Furley Page Solicitors is cited for looking after its clients from the early stages and throughout the growth of businesses. Clients range from entrepreneurs to internationals in sectors as diverse as automotive, real estate, education and charities. Susan Jennings' extensive experience includes M&A, joint ventures and complex commercial agreements, while 'outstanding corporate lawyer' Tony Chester includes restructurings, share buybacks, demergers and MBOs among his skills. Associate Jamie Bourne is also noted for ably running cases.
‘The corporate and commercial team are collaborative, supportive, and work seamlessly together and with others. Their cases are meticulously well prepared and they work incredibly hard for their clients. Above all, they are a huge amount of fun. I would choose them over many a well-known London firm.’
‘The individuals I deal with fill me with confidence; I trust in their advice and judgement.’
‘Associate Jamie Bourne provided very accurate work which was rapidly carried out.’
‘Tony Chester is calm, analytical and hard working and, above all, at your right hand throughout.’
‘Susan Jennings was knowledgeable and effective but she was also approachable, realistic and human which made the process easier.‘
‘Tony Chester stepped into a project late on and owning this from the legal perspective and effectively holding our hand until we achieved our outcome.’
‘Susan Jennings is our first port of call – her experience continues to be invaluable.’
Magna International Inc
University of Kent
- Advised on the pre-sale reorganisation and subsequent multimillion-pound sale of Geerings Digital which also involved a range of other practice area advice.
- Acting for the sellers on the £2.3m sale of the entire issued share capital of C-Mech Services to Rite-Hite UK.
- Represented the client in its acquisition of Skyware Technologies for $3.2m and continues to provide commercial contracts advice.
- Represented Hobbs Parker on a complicated JV and the subsequent share sale of First Office Holdings
- Advice and creation of a bespoke debt and equity fund raising for property development projects.
PDT Solicitors' practice covers M&A and strategic commercial advisory work and is also known for its finance expertise. Noel Ruddy is recognised for his corporate finance expertise; he is a specialist in receivables finance and asset-based lending. The 'very bright' Rebecca Glazebrook undertakes a range of both corporate and finance transactions, and Andrew Hoad 'who provides pragmatic and commercial advice' has a focus on the technology sector, including advising on software consultancy sales.
‘The firm strives hard to get things right – it is increasing in stature.’
‘The corporate team has three strong practitioners in Noel Ruddy, Rebecca Glazebrook and Andrew Hoad. It has a no-nonsense approach and will provide sensible commercial fee proposals that are appropriate to the task in hand.’
‘A small but very experienced and talented team of corporate lawyers. Real senior leadership on transactions and a commercial approach to problem solving.‘
‘A long-established firm, extremely well known and widely respected within this industry. Happy to deliver partner-led relationships across all disciplines – the partners will get involved personally and are not afraid to get hands dirty.’
‘Top-class advice – they really care and are led from the front by the partners.’
‘Noel Ruddy has unrivalled knowledge and expertise in the receivables industry. He is widely respected and extremely well connected across the sector. Always available personally to deal with our client-related matters in a helpful and expeditious manner.’
‘Noel Ruddy is a wise and experienced head who brings real commercial insight. Rebecca Glazebrook is a detail-focused partner who will fight tooth and nail for her clients.’
‘Noel Ruddy is a legend in the asset-based lending sector. Rebecca Glazebrook is a bright lawyer who is very capable. We have used Andrew Hoad on smaller matters where he has provided pragmatic commercial advice.’
Pill Box Chemists
The Specialist Work Limited
Geotech Soil Stabilisation
Shareholders of AJ Mobility
Premier House Investments
Kamic Group AB
Shareholders of ICA Digital
Freedom Food Limited
Nucleus Commercial Finance
- Advised the management team of The Specialist Works, a leading independent international media agency, on a management buy-out led by Martin Woolley and Parry Jones.
- Advised on the MBO of Geotech Soil Stabilisation, funded by Mobeus Equity Partners. Co-ordinated the acquisition of the third party company at the same time as the MBO. The deal was valued at £14m.
- Acted for the shareholders in driving through the sale of their company.
- Acted for the client on its acquisition of Ralph Coleman International and also assisted with the documentation for the funding which consisted of a loan from Caple and an IF line from Arbuthnot Commercial Finance.
- Acted on the disposal of Amicus Commercial Finance division to Investec Bank plc.
Sara Carpenter heads a team at Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP which handles the full range of corporate mid-market transactions for SMEs. The firm's chairman Bruce Hayter has a wealth of experience in M&A transactions, MBOs and shareholder agreements. Alan Zeal has a specialism in advising on corporate structures and Tim Sadka serves clients in sectors such as TMT, manufacturing, engineering and construction.
Parker Building Supplies
Haines Watts Kent LLP
Pierhouse Business Solutions
Smarter Shows (Power) Holdings
- A multi-disciplinary team (corporate, employment and property) assisted on this exit by the Parker Family, to a company controlled by Cairngorm Capital. The transaction anticipated the need to address the client’s family and future interests and was valued at £20m.
- Advised on a merger between two well-established firms of accountants involving a complex earn out and deferred consideration provisions.
- Holly Lodge (Kingswood) purchased the entire issued share capital in Deanland Wood Park Limited, which is one of the most sought-after Park Homes Estates in the South East, from the client. The transaction was valued at £14.5m.
- Acted for the shareholders advising on the sale of the company to a Polish listed company.
- Advised on the sale of the entire issued share capital to UBM (UK), a deal valued at £16m.
TWM Solicitors LLP's clients are predominantly made up of ultra high-net-worth individuals and local and national family-owned or managed businesses. 'Excellent communicator' Jamie Berry heads the team and Peter Stevens has a noted roster of golf club and automotive clients. The team is especially active on M&A deals involving domestic businesses.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Stevens; Daniel Jenking; David Powell
‘They are responsive, down-to-earth, friendly, do what they say they will and are sensibly priced.’
‘There is a willingness to think outside the box. The clock does not start ticking the moment I pick the phone up.’
‘Jamie Berry and Daniel Jenkins are great to deal with and always respond in a timely manner. They are good with clients and are sensible on their costs. The main thing is if you refer a client you know they are going to get looked after.’
Lucas Design & Construction
Image Skincare UK
Jane Shilton Limited
Assetz Capital Trust Company
- Acted for the owner of Abbot Datastore with regard to the sale of 100% of the issued share capital in the company.
- Advised client on asset sale in relation to an owner-managed business comprising four retail outlets to AkzoNobel.
- Represented seller of shares in a recruitment company.
- Advising on the corporate aspects of a £30m restructure and refinance.
- Advising a family-owned business on offering equity to a third party in a £40m business.
Boddy Matthews Limited, which 'provides valuable advice in a clear and concise fashion', has an established reputation for its franchising expertise. Kate Matthews heads a team that advises a broad range of businesses on risk management, franchising transactions and litigation in respect of a range of franchising breaches. It also advises on establishing franchise businesses and exits.
‘A good solid team which understands our business and legal challenges and is always approachable.’
‘It is a well-managed team. It is driven from the top and throughout the ranks the business direction and goals are well known.’
‘They understand our needs and that we often need urgent advice and support – consequently, they are always available to us and will always act with the sense of urgency we require.’
‘The partners are hugely experienced in their fields, willing and open to all directions of discussion.’
Blend Clinic Limited
LK Woking Ltd
PawPals Pet Sitting
Country Wide Signs
Babyballet Franchising Ltd
Brush Party Limited
Trend Trading and Services Company Limited
- Acting for the franchisors and Claimant companies in court pcoceedings for breach of contract, wrongful and unlawful interference and/or conspiracy in relation to post term restrictions and non-compete clauses.
- Providing advice and assistance to the franchisor on franchising its premier aesthetic and sports therapy business.
- Acting for the franchisor-owner company in relation to forcing its franchisees to comply with their obligations and to avoid breaches of contract.
- Acting for the owner of the brand regarding a variety of breaches including failure to adhere to the secret recipes, or use the designated supplier of food.
- Provision of day-to-day advice in respect of franchising strategies and risk management including enforcing breaches of contract and post termination issues.
The Downs Solicitors LLP team takes on all types of corporate and commercial work including private equity, joint ventures and corporate finance and counts SMEs and family-owned business as core clients. 'Exceptional partner' Julian Harvey, who 'exudes an air of calm confidence', advises on franchising, share option schemes and financing, while associate James Bracher - 'an ever reliable and knowledgeable member of the team' - is a popular team member.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Clapham; James Bracher
‘The Downs team has an ethos that is open and welcoming; they are prepared to listen to requirements, and deliver results effectively, promptly and at reasonable cost.‘
‘A small firm, but with a breadth and depth of experience more often available only from a larger firm.’
‘They achieve something rarely seen in the professional services – technical quality, commercial astuteness and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Julian Harvey is a first-rate lawyer who heads his team and delivers an outstanding service with great skill, knowledge and integrity. He has excellent personal skills.’
‘James Bracher has a professional attitude to his work and a very approachable and friendly demeanour.’
‘Julian Harvey helped us navigate through the process in a most professional and knowledgeable way. He had the personality and diplomacy to deal with the sensitive issues and was always available. We would have no hesitation in using Downs in the future and would highly recommend this practice.’
Merchants Transaction Finance
East Stuff Ltd
Owen James Events
Moore Law has a reputation for its commercial work in the technology, media and entertainment and sports areas. Founder and principal solicitor Tris Moore, together with head of digital matters Scott Appleton, offers expertise encompassing the protection and exploitation of IP assets including licensing and open source issues as well as business start-ups, exits and related shareholder issues.
Other key lawyers:
Lighting Design International
John Cullen Lighting
Smit Mobile Equipment BV
Bailey & French
The Zeitgeist Agency
Pizzaface Pizza Limited
Spring Signage / Xibo
Ashtons Hospital Pharmacy
We Are Tilt
- Advised on the drafting of influencer contracts; also advised the sister company CPR Communications on drafting terms of supply and commercial agreements with major corporate events clients.
- Advising on matters including all commercial and intellectual property matters in connection with provision of lighting design consultancy services in the UK/internationally.
- Advising on the drafting of several commercial agreements including user terms and end-user licences as part of a wider audit review of its commercial terms.
- Advised this Malaysia-based client on the UK company law aspects of a multi-million-pound global restructuring, which involved a share buyback, share assignments, termination and appointments of directors and the enforcement of restrictive covenants.
- Advised on and drafted various commercial agreements for use with clients internationally, including terms of supply for B2B and B2C customers, reseller and white label agreements.
Morrisons Solicitors LLP
Morrisons Solicitors LLP's focus is on sale-side transactions and the healthcare sector. It also increasingly advises on fundraisings, working with technology start-ups as well as investors. Peter Savage heads the firm's banking and secured lending offering as well as the corporate department, while Louise Fegan has a specialism in the acquisition and disposal of dental practices.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has diverse members who can advise on different aspects of a problem.’
- Acted for the client on its first acquisition involving an app store optimisation agency and which required unusually technical option arrangements over 25% of shares retained by the sellers.
- Acted for sellers of a copier/reprographics leasing business.
- Acted for founders David & Alex in their exit of St James’ Place.
Warners Solicitors advises on disposals and acquisitions of owner-managed businesses in the South East. Its also acts for banks on the financing of acquisitions, as well as venture capital and private equity transactions. Kevin Sullivan has an established track record acting for clients in the IT/technology sectors, and more broadly the team also services clients in areas such as education and agriculture.
Other key lawyers:
Russell Brinkhurst; Jonathan Roberts
Medaphor Group Plc
National Westminster Bank
Mosaic Smart Data Limited
Rough Trade Retail Group
- Acting for the client on a Series A investment by JPMorgan Chase.
- Acting for the selling shareholders in their sale of ecological contractor company, TWIG Group Ltd to RSK Group.
- Advising two of five selling shareholders on the sale of the entire issued share capital of their company.
- Acting for a company and its founder in respect of a Series B investment.
- Acting for a bank on funding the purchase of a target business through a share purchase.