Dispute resolution in Slovakia
Allen & Overy Bratislava, s.r.o.
Allen & Overy Bratislava, s.r.o.'s dispute resolution practice is well known for its 'outstanding' arbitration expertise, and it also handles complex litigated cases for domestic and international clients. Martin Magál and counsel Lucia Raimanová coordinate the firm's CEE regional arbitration team, which has a strong track record in commercial arbitration and investment treaty cases. Juraj Gyárfáš joined Dentons.
‘Deep understanding of the issues and proposals‘
‘Martin Magal is professional with a proactive and consistent approach‘
‘Fantastic in arbitration cases‘
UniCredit Bank Austria AG and Zagrebačka Banka dd
Západoslovenská distribučná, a.s. and Východoslovenská distribučná, a.s.
BG Exploration and Production India Limited (BG), Reliance Industries Limited (RIL)
- Acting for UniCredit Bank Austria and Zagrebačka Banka in an investment treaty claim at ICSID against Croatia, relating to legislation passed by Croatia allowing borrowers unilaterally to convert Swiss Franc-denominated or -indexed loans into Euro loans at historic exchange rates.
- The team is representing Západoslovenská distribučná and Východoslovenská distribučná in several disputes concerning energy regulation in Slovakia.
- Successfully represented Tesco in a landmark case concerning the right to legal counsel during a dawn raid.
Dentons' practice is jointly led by recently promoted partner Daniel Lipšic, who is experienced in criminal defence work, and civil litigation and arbitration expert Peter Kubina. Juraj Gyárfáš, who demonstrates strong capabilities in corporate disputes and competition-related matters, joined from Allen & Overy Bratislava, s.r.o..
‘Peter Kubina is a calm and humble legal specialist‘
‘Daniel Lipšic is the best lawyer one can get in Slovakia in the field of criminal defense; his experience, knowledge and good estimates increase the chances significantly‘
‘The team is commended for its high levels of professionalism‘
Tatra banka, a.s.
Inžinierske stavby, a.s.
ESET, spol. s r.o.
Markíza – Slovakia
UniCredit Leasing Slovakia, a.s.
- Acted for a group of members of the National Council of the Slovak Republic (the Parliament of the Slovak Republic) before the Constitutional Court of the Slovak Republic in proceedings examining compliance of selected provisions of the Criminal Code with the freedom of speech.
- Representing OHL ŽS in a dispute against VAHOSTAV-SK and Slovak National Motorway Company (Národná diaľničná spoločnosť, a.s.) over issues arising from the consortium agreement relating to the construction of the Hubova – Ivachnova section of the D1 Motorway in Slovakia.
- The team is representing construction company Inžinierske stavby in a contractual dispute with the Slovak National Motorway Company (Národná diaľničná spoločnosť, a.s.).
Čechová & Partners is strong in commercial litigation, where the workload includes real estate disputes and insolvency-related cases, among others. The team, which is led by Katarína Čechová, also advises on domestic and international arbitration.
‘The team provides short response times, is easily accessible and provides good quality work‘
‘We highly appreciate working with Katarína Čechová; she has a no-nonsense and practical approach‘
‘A very professional team led by Katarína Čechová‘
Smartwings (former name: Travel Service)
SMRC (former name: Reydel) Automotive Slovakia s.r.o., a member of SMRC Group
Up Slovensko, s. r. o. (former name: LE CHEQUE DEJEUNER s.r.o.)
- Representing YIT in several lawsuits related to one of the largest development projects in the centre of Bratislava.
- Represented FKP Sojuzplodoimport in court proceedings to determine ownership of certain international trade marks.
- Representing P.E.M in several disputes against a Slovak insurance company.
Škubla & Partneri s.r.o.
The 'highly professional and client-oriented' team at Škubla & Partneri s.r.o. is highly active in commercial litigation and investment treaty arbitration. It demonstrates notable expertise in matters connected with the healthcare, energy, media and financial services sectors. The group also has extensive expertise in criminal proceedings. Martin Škubla, Martin Fábry and Dušan Ďurík are the joint heads of the practice.
‘The firm is known for its deep industry knowledge of healthcare and health insurance matters‘
‘Martin Škubla is well-known for his excellent legal and analytical skills‘
‘I appreciate the team’s dedication, flexibility, thorough approach, unconventional way of thinking and ability to find creative solutions in situations which seem to have no solution at all‘
Penta Investments, s. r. o. (Slovak Republic)
News and Media Holding
Privatbanka, Bratislava (Bank)
Penta Investments Limited (Jersey)
Penta Investments Limited (Cyprus)
Mecom, a. s. Humenné
Group One Finance, a. s. BMW Group M, a. s. (Automotive)
Slovenské liečebné kúpele Turčianske Teplice (Spa)
- Representing HICEE in a high-profile dispute with the Slovak Republic over the prohibition of the profits of health insurance companies.
- Represented PPC Energy in a high-profile matter concerning tax on emission allowances.
- Representing News and Media Holding in a number of lawsuits.
Barger Prekop s.r.o.
Barger Prekop s.r.o.'s team of 'client-focused professionals' delivers 'high-quality legal advice' on domestic litigation and international arbitration cases. Roman Prekop stands out for his international arbitration expertise and is also noted for energy-related disputes. Also recommended are Peter Suba, who specialises in insurance and aviation sector cases, and Monika Simorova.
‘A young, dynamic team‘
‘The team has an awareness of the client’s needs, both legal and commercial, and has a very active approach to work‘
‘I feel that every member of the team is fully focused to cover my needs and is ready to help when needed‘
‘Roman Prekop is ready to provide his view and is able to solve any open issues‘
Kinstellar excels in commercial disputes in the energy, automotive, healthcare, real estate, IT and agriculture sectors. In addition to being active in litigation, the team also has significant experience of compliance and risk issues, and is often engaged in internal investigations and inquiries. Roman Oleksik is recommended.
Prosperious Printing Company
Eric Gelinas, Justin Pogge
- The team is representing VASA Slovensko in a dispute relating to an illegal inspection of its premises.
- The team is representing Firstfarms in several disputes relating to land usage and ownership rights.
- The team is representing Prosperous Printing Company in a case relating to the cross-border collection of unpaid receivables owed by a Slovak book publisher.
LEGATE, s.r.o handles a range of litigation and arbitration cases for Slovak and CEE companies. Its experience includes construction, shareholder, IP, tax and administrative disputes. In addition, it is increasingly active in cyber security claims. Managing partner Peter Vrábel is a 'very efficient, attentive and client-oriented lawyer, who always keeps an eye on the important details'. Vrábel co-heads the practice with Michal Mistrík.
‘Peter Vrábel always provides very reliable and professional legal advice in complex and industry-specific matters‘
‘The attorneys act as one team and this goal-oriented team has impressive strategic skills and delivers reliable and quick responses. We feel that the team is very engaged and well-connected‘
‘Peter Vrábel is an old fox litigator and therefore a tough negotiator, utilising not just litigation, but also international arbitration skills. He is capable to efficiently handle large and complex matters, which allows clients to confidently rely on him in long and complicated disputes‘
‘Michal Mistrík is an extremely dedicated litigator who evaluates situations accurately while being commercially minded, practical and constructive‘
‘This excellent team is widely respected for high-stakes commercial and corporate litigation and the team is genuine in combining the procedural knowledge of litigation with the experience of case law‘
PETERKA & PARTNERS
Praised for its 'entrepreneurial thinking', PETERKA & PARTNERS operates as part of a strong CEE network, which enhances the team's ability to advise on cross-border disputes. Civil, employment, commercial, criminal, competition, IP, real estate, debt recovery, tax and administrative disputes are key areas of expertise. Lubomir Lesko leads the team.
‘Highly professional with quick and appropriate responses‘
‘Jan Makara has a strong client focus, and stands out for his availability, flexibility and the legal advice, which is tailored to the client’s business needs‘
Podtatranska vodarenska prevadzkova spolocnost
Kreuzer International GmbH
A major telecommunications company
Augustin Quehenberger Group
- The team is representing Podtatranska vodarenska prevadzkova spolocnost (belonging to the VEOLIA Group) in lawsuits concerning compensation for material damage consisting of restrictions on the use of land in protected zones of water resources according to the Act on Water.
- Represented SVUS Pharma and FARMAX Slovakia, its Slovak subsidiary, in court proceedings concerning trade mark rights and unfair competition.
- Representing Swiss Re in several employment disputes.
RELEVANS Law Firm is a 'first-class law firm, with a high level of integrity' and clients note that it is 'a great choice for dispute resolution'. The team is largely instructed by Slovak clients in high-profile competition, administrative, IP, tax and commercial disputes. The work spans the real estate, transport, healthcare, media, energy and financial services sectors. Alexander Kadela and Tomáš Bardelčík are names to note.
‘Alexander Kadela has a high level of expertise and experience; he works with passion and commitment‘
‘Alexander Kadela was always very pro-client oriented and kept us as clients informed about the status of our legal issue. We are constantly impressed by his skills to go beyond what is visible and his ability to know the business‘
‘Alexander Kadela is a strong personality and is a very rational and logical thinking lawyer, who has a pleasant address but can also be very tough when needed‘
‘Excellent procedural lawyers are undoubtedly Tomáš Bardelčík and Pavol Chrenko‘
Poštová banka, a.s.
Železničná spoločnosť Slovensko, a.s.
Železničná spoločnosť Cargo Slovakia, a.s.
Rozhlas a televízia Slovenska
J&T Banka, a.s., pobočka zahraničnej banky
Tatry mountain resorts, a.s.
Slovenská záručná a rozvojová banka, a.s.
Carlton Property, s.r.o.
J&T Real Estate, a.s.
ČEZ Slovensko, s.r.o.
MCH-MEDICAL CARE HOLDING LIMITED
RMS Mezzanine, a.s., organizačná zložka
Sandberg Capital, správ. spol., a.s.
MAC TV s.r.o.
Prvá penzijná správcovská spoločnosť
Danube Facility Services, s.r.o.
- Acting for Slovak investors, ADS Property and Carlton Property in high-profile disputes concerning the ownership of the Hotel Carlton in Bratislava.
- Acting for MCH-MEDICAL CARE HOLDING in a dispute over restrictions on the payment of profits to shareholders of private health insurance company EZP.
- Acting for Poštová banka, which is seeking the €15m repayment of two credit facilities provided to the leasing company.
Ružička & Partners s.r.o.
Ružička & Partners s.r.o.'s dispute resolution offering (which covers both litigation and arbitration) is often engaged in cross-border cases. The team demonstrates particular strengths in competition, procurement and regulatory disputes, as well as real estate, insurance, energy, financial services and telecoms sector cases. Šarlota Štosová is the head of the team.
Slovnaft, a.s. , (MOL Group)
Bawag Leasing & Fleet, s.r.o.
Alfa Power, a.s. / Enercap Capital Partners
OTP Banka Slovensko, a.s.
MetLife Europe, MetLife Slovakia
Porsche Slovakia, spol. s.r.o.
Západoslovenská energetika a.s. (E.ON group)
- Representing Slovnaft in multiple disputes.
- Representing OTP Banka Slovensko in a number of disputes.
- Representing MetLife Europe in several disputes.
Squire Patton Boggs s.r.o. is best known for its global investment arbitration practice, where it acts for sovereign states. The department often works with practitioners across the wider network in complex international disputes. The team, which is led by Tatiana Prokopová, also excels in real estate litigation. Associate Eva Cibulková is recommended.
‘Tatiana Prokopová is very hands-on, keeps to deadlines, keeps an overall oversight on all cases that we have in court and always comes up with appropriate solution proposal‘
‘The team has excellent legal and professional expertise; it treats cases in a serious and committed manner‘
Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic
Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Croatia
The Foreign Disputes
Department of the State of Libya
Západoslovenská energetika, a.s.
Tesco Stores SR, a.s.
- Representing the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Croatia in an investment treaty arbitration against Hungarian investor MOL.
- Representing of the Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic in an investment treaty arbitration against Polish investor Muszynianka.
- Representing Marianka Municipality in a dispute concerning the annulment of an arbitral award issued by a Slovak arbitral court.
Benefiting from its international presence, Taylor Wessing Slovakia attracts multijurisdictional cases. The enforcement of judicial and arbitral awards is a key area of activity for the team, which is also noted for its experience of IP, competition, commercial, corporate and real estate disputes. Arbitration specialist Andrej Leontiev leads the team.
Slovak Ministry of Economics
Letove prevadzkove sluzby
Technopol Servis a.s.
Ceska exportni banka (Czech Export Bank)
Salesianer Miettex s. r. o.
City of Snina
Najvyssi kontrolny urad (Supreme Audit Office of the Slovak Republic)
SAV – Slovak Academy of Sciences
Rösler Oberflächentechnik GmbH
BFF Central Europe s.r.o.
Banskobystricky samospravny kraj (Banská Bystrica Self-Governing Region)
City of Bratislava
- Represented Taxify in a high-profile, strategic case concerning a court dispute on the ban on the provision of its services in Slovakia.
- Represented the Slovak Academy of Sciences (SAV) in a dispute against the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic (Ministry) over the change of legal form of SAV’s departments.
- Representing SK-NIC in a range of disputes.
BBH advokátska kancelária, s.r.o.'s team is led by Olga Beláňová, who is experienced in acting for Slovak and foreign clients in disputes arising from bankruptcy proceedings and restructurings. It represents a significant number of clients in the financial services and media sectors.
Erste Group Immorent Slovensko, s.r.o.
O2 Czech Republic a.s.
Slovenská sporiteľňa, a.s.
Waldviertler Sparkasse Bank AG
- Representing O2 Czech Republic in a high-value dispute.
- Acting for Waldviertler Sparkasse Bank in a €105m claim before the District Court Banska Bystrica.
- Advised Slovenská sporiteľňa on the enforcement of bank loan claims.
Glatzová & Co., s. r. o. works closely with its Prague office on a wide range of contentious matters, including automotive sector disputes, and real estate and energy-related cases. Jiří Sixta and Veronika Pázmányová are recommended.
‘The lawyers are approachable and have a great commercial sense of matters‘
‘Veronika Pázmányová has great negotiation skills; she is a quick thinker, great strategist and very persuasive‘
Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV
Addinol Lube Oil GmbH
TrustWorthy Investment SK a. s.
- Representing Mazda Motor Logistics Europe in litigation against Auto Real TT over its allegedly unjustified withdrawal from several contracts.
- Representing ADDINOL Lube Oil in unfair competition proceedings against the misuse of the reputation of the “ADDINOL” brand.
- Representing MSA in judicial proceedings against international insurance company, AIG Europe.
Ikrenyi & Rehak, s.r.o
Ikrenyi & Rehak, s.r.o's 'highly engaged and enthusiastic' team focuses on disputes involving insolvency law, bankruptcy and restructuring. In addition, other strengths include competition, IP, IT and media, corporate, tax and labour disputes. Ivan Ikrényi and Viktor Ewerling are recommended.
‘We appreciate individual approach of the legal team, which is based on a long-term relationship‘
‘Viktor Ewerling is detailed-orientated and skilled in the preparation of documents for court proceedings, which in our view always contain well-based legal arguments and references‘
‘Ivan Ikrényi is specialised in disputes connected with insolvency issues‘
Tatra banka, a.s.
Slovenská záručná a rozvojová banka, a.s.
Optifin Invest, s.r.o.
HTC Investments a.s.
Bratislavská teplárenská, a.s.
The Self-Governing Region of Trenčín
Radio Services, a.s.
- Representing Tatra banka in a €5.5m lawsuit.
- Defending Bratislava – the Capital City of Slovakia in lawsuits initiated by a developer over the termination of lease agreements and building permits.
- Represented LOJECT in administrative proceedings and court proceedings against the Financial Directorate of the Slovak Republic in conjunction with its refusal to refund VAT payments related to the payments for an electricity plant development by a German company.
Poláček & Partners
Poláček & Partners' fast-growing litigation and arbitration department is experienced in high-profile and sensitive cases. It is also noted for its experience in energy sector disputes, as well as contentious matters involving industries such as construction, insurance, leisure and travel, among others. Pavol Poláček is the head of the practice.
Over 100 electricity producers
Novum Structures UK
City of Prievidza
- Represents electricity producers from the renewable energy industry in more than 100 lawsuits against three major distribution companies over restitution of payments for access to the distribution network (G-component).
- Representing producers of electricity in litigation against distribution companies over the loss of annual feed-in-tariff in 2015.
- Representing Novum Structures UK in a dispute over payment for the construction of the ETFE roof structure at an amusement park in Slovakia.
Wolf Theiss, which has a focus on cross-border disputes, is particularly active in IP and employment cases. Led by Katarína Bieliková, the team acts for clients in the pharmaceutical, health, technology and IT sectors, among others.
Polish State Treasury
- Representing the Polish State Treasury in proceedings against construction company Doprastav.
- Advising a computer technology industry company on several significant and precedent-setting employment litigation cases.
- Representing a generics and specialty pharmaceutical company in a dispute over patent rights and various other issues.