Allen & Overy Bratislava, s.r.o. has one of the leading banking and finance practices in Slovakia. The team's broad practice knowledge is reflected in its impressive roster of regional and international clients, and its ability to act on Slovak and English-law matters with equal fluency. In recent months, it has acted in debt issuances for key regional banks, while continuing to be a mainstay for complex regulatory and transactional matters, representing borrowers, lenders, and arrangers. Furthermore this year, the firm has advised the state of financial support packages to companies impacted by Covid-19, and has implemented its bespoke Legatics software which provides clients with live visibility on the progression of matters. Practice head Renátus Kollar is a leading practitioner in the market. Clients also benefit from the expertise of banking and restructuring practice co-head Matúš Kudlák, and counsel Attila Csongrady, who is qualified in English and New York law. Peter Jedinák, who specialises in derivatives and capital markets, and Peter Redo, who recently completed secondments in London and Singapore, are also noted.
Banking, finance and capital markets in Slovakia
Allen & Overy Bratislava, s.r.o.
Other key lawyers:
Matúš Kudlák; Attila Csongrady; Peter Jedinak; Peter Redo
‘I have been working with Peter Jedinak for a very long time, more than 10 years. Peter’s advice goes beyond legal. He is not only good in telecom regulation, but also knows a lot about our business. His advice always takes into account commercial reality and our business needs.’
Komerční banka, a.s. (Societe Generale group)
Prima banka and Privatbanka
Tatra Banka (Raiffeisen Bank International Group)
Slovenské elektrárne (SE)
BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole CIB, Credit Suisse, HSBC, Societe Generale, Komerční banka
Raiffeisen Bank International and Raiffeisen Bank Romania (as coordinators), Raiffeisen Bank International, Banca Transilvania, UniCreditBank, OTP Bank Romania S.A., Garanti Bank, Eximbank and Intesa SanPaolo Romania (as lenders)
Erste Group Bank AG
Sberbank Europe AG
Zero Bypass Limited
- Advised Commerzbank on the €460m project financing for US Steel Košice, s.r.o.
- Advised Komerční banka, a.s. on a €250m general corporate financing of NAFTA a.s.
- Acted for a syndicate of banks as lenders in relation to credit facilities in an amount of approximately $235m granted to Alro.
Dentons has a leading reputation for advising borrowers and lenders on a range of complex, often cross-border matters. In recent years, the firm has made a concerted effort to broaden its offering, now routinely advising on acquisition and leveraged finance, restructuring and insolvency matters, export finance and debt capital markets deals. The full-service team is jointly headed by Peter Kubina and Stanislava Valientová, who specialises in capital markets and led on several of the team's standout highlights. Also recommended are counsel Patricia Gossányiová and senior associate Katarína Slezáková, who have experience of debt capital markets and alternative investment funds.
Peter Kubina, Slovakia Managing Partner; Stanislava Valientová, Partner
Other key lawyers:
Patricia Gossányiová; Katarína Slezáková
‘Diligent and timely coordination of efforts across the region and various jurisdictions. Excellent communication, negotiation and people skills.’
‘Committed, accessible, high integrity.’
Tatra banka (Raiffeisen Group)
Slovenská sporiteľňa (ERSTE Group)
Československá obchodná banka (KBC Group)
UniCredit Bank Czech Republic and Slovakia, Bratislava Branch
Komerční banka, (Société Générale Group) – Bratislava Branch
Všeobecná úverová banka (a member of the Intesa Sanpaolo Group)
Oesterreichische Entwicklungsbank AG
- Advised a syndicate of banks led by Erste Bank AG on the financing of the acquisition of Twin City Tower in Bratislava.
- Advised the Rotana Group on the financing of its acquisition of Lindner Hotel in Bratislava.
- Advised FIDUROCK Nemovitosti, an investment boutique, on refinancing of its retail portfolio by a multi-tranche multi-borrower project financing facility.
Kinstellar's strong regional foothold is reflected in its impressive portfolio of domestic clients and blue-chip multinationals, which turn to the banking and finance team for advice on syndicated lending, acquisition finance, real estate finance, structured finance, and infrastructure and project finance. Managing associates Tomáš Melišek and Vladimír Polička jointly lead the practice; Melišek is particularly noted for his expertise in regulatory matters, and Polička specialises in cross-border real estate and acquisition project financing. Dual-qualified special counsel Denise Hamer and senior associate Martin Koša, who previously worked as in-house counsel at Tatra Banka, are also noted.
Tomáš Melišek; Vladimír Polička
Other key lawyers:
Denise Hamer; Martin Koša
‘Reliable, responsive professionals with a problem-solving attitude, providing straight-to-the-point legal advice.’
‘Tomáš Melišek is a very experienced professional – hard-working and very flexible in terms of timing. We appreciate his client-focused approach and understanding of the practical commercial needs of the client.’
‘Knowledgable and performance driven.’
‘Kinstellar has a great set of professionals available, and the partners are really good at arranging the teams and adapting to change of needs or other requirements. Client-oriented service is very high and monitored closely.’
‘I very much appreciated the high level of professionalism paired with direct communication, creating a good atmosphere with both clients and counter-parties throughout negotiations. The team members are always solution-oriented. Speed of negotiations is great with Kinstellar.’
- Advised OTP Bank on all aspects of the sale of its operation in Slovakia.
- Advised AIP Asset Management and The Valesco Group on the financing of their acquisition of Twin City Tower office building in Bratislava.
- Advised GLP on the acquisition financing provided by a syndicate of banks in relation to acquisition of Goodman’s CEE logistics business in the Slovakia, Czechia and Hungary.
White & Case s.r.o is widely regarded as one of the premier practice groups in Slovakia, equally adept at handling high-value bank lending and capital markets transactions for clients at the domestic, regional, and international level. The team has extensive experience of a range of debt finance matters, including bond financing and acquisition finance deals. Recently, the firm has made a concerted effort to expand its activity in PPP and construction financing, and increasingly advises on buyer credit for a growing number of alternative investors. Marek Staroň leads the banking group, while Juraj Fuska heads up the capital markets practice.
Marek Staroň; Juraj Fuska
Slovenská sporiteľňa, a.s.
NE Property B.V.
Bank Polska Kasa Opieki Spółka Akcyjna
Československá obchodná banka, a.s.
Morgan Stanley Co. International plc
PPF banka, a.s., J & T BANKA, a.s.
W.A.G. payment solutions, a.s.
Syndicate of Banks
Barclays Bank, Citigroup Global Markets Limited, Deutsche Bank AG, HSBC and Všeobecná úverová banka, a.s.
Československá obchodná banka, Slovenská sporiteľňa and Tatra banka
Commerzbank Aktiengesellschaft, DZ BANK AG Deutsche Zentral-Genossenschaftsbank, Frankfurt am Main and Landesbank Baden-Württemberg
Deutsche Bank, HSBC France, Natixis, Société Générale and Všeobecná úverová banka (a member of the Intesa Sanpaolo Group)
- Acting for PPF Group N.V. in both the financing and M&A aspects of its multi-jurisdictional acquisition of Central European Media Enterprises Ltd.
- Assisting Commerzbank Aktiengesellschaft, DZ Bank AG Deutsche Zentral-Genossenschaftsbank, Frankfurt am Main and Landesbank Baden-Württemberg, as joint lead managers on the issuance of €500m, 0.01% covered (mortgage) bonds.
- Advising on the Slovak Republic’s double tranche issuance of €2bn 0.250% notes due 2025 and €2bn 1.0% notes due 2032.
Domestic and international banks, investors and insurers turn to Cechová & Partners for its proficiency in regulatory matters, and its strong reputation in project financing mandates. The team also handles corporate deals in the financial services industry and reorganisations for domestic and international corporate clients. The firm has also highlighted its commitment to female leadership; the banking and finance practice is led by regulatory expert, Simona Halakova. Michaela Jurkova, who handles project financing, is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Simmons & Simmons
Inalfa Roof Systems
- Provided long-term collaboration and support in the preparation of client know-how tool (Navigator) focused on the sale and distribution of securities and notes, other financial instruments and investment funds in various jurisdictions.
Barger Prekop s.r.o.
Barger Prekop s.r.o. is instructed by central and commercial bank clients, advising on a range of regulatory mandates and capital markets transactions. The team is also noted for its record in portfolio restructuring and debtor-side project financing. The practice is jointly led by founding partners and energy financing specialists Adrian Barger and Roman Prekop, and capital markets specialist Erik Seman.
Erik Seman; Adrian Barger; Roman Prekop
National Bank of Slovakia
- Advised the National Bank of Slovakia on its comprehensive investment portfolio restructuring in preparation for Brexit.
BBH advokátska kancelária, s.r.o. acts for a number of leading regional banks and financial institutions, advising on debt capital markets transactions and assisting with myriad regulatory matters. Of late, the firm has leveraged its expertise in complex debt financing products to win increasingly cross-border and high-stakes transactional mandates. Miroslav Fašung and real estate finance expert Matej Blahút jointly lead the team.
Miroslav Fašung; Matej Blahút
‘Local expertise in emerging markets, business oriented, flexible.’
‘Diverse team covering all the relevant sectors / industries.’
‘Individual approach, always great and efficient communication.’
CPI Property Group
Československé úvěrní družstvo (Akcenta)
Summit Motors Slovakia, spol. s r.o.
UniCredit Bank Czech Republic and Slovakia, a.s.
Metatron Capital, SICAV plc.
Waldviertler Sparkasse Bank AG
ARVAL SLOVAKIA, s.r.o.
První investiční, a.s.
- Advising Euroclear group on legal regulation in Slovak Republic applicable to central securities depositories providing issuer services on a cross-border basis based on CSDR.
- Advising Summit Motors Slovakia on the wholesale and retail financing of the purchase of the Ford branded vehicles in Slovak Republic.
- Providing UniCredit Bank Czech Republic and Slovakia, a.s. with legal advice regarding implications of potential insolvency of a third party entity.
The team at CMS regularly collaborates with colleagues in Prague and Vienna to advise leading regional banks, corporate borrowers and private equity investors on cross-border acquisition financing mandates and loan agreements. The firm also regularly advises its clients on restructuring proceedings and various regulatory matters. The practice group is led by Peter Šimo, who has experience of transactions throughout the CEE, and Petra Čorba Stark, who is instructed by various financial services clients.
Peter Šimo; Petra Čorba Stark
UniCredit Bank Austria AG
- Representing UniCredit Bank Austria AG in restructuring proceedings and connected court proceedings.
- Advising Crowdberry on the investment into a leading fitness and sport nutrition brand in Europe with an annual sales volume of more than €16m.
- Advising Enery Development on the acquisition and financing of a solar power portfolio across the Czech Republic and Slovakia from Green Horizon Renewables.
Hamala Kluch Víglaský s.r.o.
Hamala Kluch Víglaský s.r.o. is regularly engaged by banks and corporate borrowers in corporate transactions and high-value financing mandates for domestic and international clients, particularly in the fields of energy, real estate, and PPP projects. Peter Víglaský, who has extensive experience in syndicated project financing and PPP work, jointly leads the team alongside fellow founding partner Lukáš Michálik.
Peter Víglaský; Lukáš Michálik
‘We have been working with HKV since the beginning of 2015. The staff are knowledgeable and flexible in their approach, in that they make themselves available even during busy seasons to take care of our ad hoc requests.’
‘Roman Hamala is strong on account of his in-depth knowledge of legal & financial requirements of Slovak law. He is able to guide us on strategic transactions.’
‘Lukáš Michalik’s main advantage, apart from his knowledge of the legal & financials requirements for our company, is his flexible approach to handling urgent matters. This has been very useful for us. ’
BUDAMAR LOGISTICS, a.s.
UniCredit Bank Czech Republic and Slovakia, a.s., pobočka zahraničnej banky
Syndicate of Slovak and international banks led by UNICREDIT BANK AG, LONDON BRANCH
OBERBANK AG, Austria
- Representing a syndicate of Slovak and international banks led by UniCredit Bank AS, London Branch in the complex project financing of the new D4R7 Bratislava bypass.
- Acting for the Slovak branch of UniCredit Bank as a lender in corporate refinancing of the operation of the largest bus station operator in the Slovak Republic.
- Representing the Slovak branch of Oberbank AG in the real estate refinancing of Reding Tower 2 in Bratislava.
PRK Partners s.r.o.
The team at PRK Partners s.r.o. is regularly instructed by leading overseas banks and their local subsidiaries on debt financing mandates, often acting in conjunction with its colleagues in Prague. The firm also handles asset-based finance, internal reorganisations and regulatory matters pertaining to derivative documentation. The team is led by corporate finance expert Martin Kříž and New York and Slovak-qualified attorney Eva Hromádková, who focuses on securities law.
Martin Kříž; Eva Hromádková
Cintra/Ferrovial Porr Macquire
AXA Bank Europe
HYPO NOE GRUPPE
RELEVANS Law Firm provides end-to-end advice on a variety of financing transactions, securities matters and financial regulatory issues. The team is particularly noted for advising domestic banks, asset managers and commercial borrowers on real estate, telecoms and IT project financing and loan negotiations. Founding partner Marián Masarik heads up the practice group and specialises in project finance.
‘I would like to specially mention the following lawyers: Alexander Kadela and Tomas Bardelcik. Mr. Alexander Kadela is an incredible lawyer with extraordinary strategic thinking. His strong knowledge and expertise as well as great negotiating skills provide best possible work guarantee. Mr. Tomas Bardelcik is also experienced lawyer. I appreciate his negotiating skills, expertise and professionalism.’
‘Marian Masarik is an outstanding negotiator. He is a great diplomat, but he can also push when needed.’
‘Relevans frequently provides us with complex legal advice at every stage of the transaction. They are problem solvers who take a sincere and personal interest. I like the most that they provide comprehensive services and facilitation of administrative processes. They are never caught off guard, they are always prepared. Even in unpredictable circumstances with strange results, they are ready to address each and every situation professionally. We appreciate their keen commercial awareness of our business, which is dynamic and constantly changing. They are really flexible and able to adapt and adopt changing commercial acumen. They are always up-to-date on the latest deals, transactions, legislative changes and other relevant developments such that they are able to understand and appreciate both the big picture as well as contemplate micro-level analysis.’
‘I honestly like to work with RELEVANS. First of all, because of the excellent services they provide (we can definitely rely on their advisory skill) and secondly, because of our special relationship with the lawyers in the team.’
‘I have known Marian Masarik for a long period of time. He is clear, professional, smart and strategic. He knows how to push even the most stubborn counter-parties. His knowledge of the legal field is stand-out. I can always rely on him in any difficult and complex legal situation. I would also like to mention Martina Martakova, a very knowledgeable, effective and reliable lawyer.’
J&T FINANCE GROUP SE
Poštová banka, a.s.
J&T REAL ESTATE, a.s.
CITY- ARENA PLUS, a.s.
- Providing legal advice to one of the largest telecom providers in Slovak Republic, on an increase of loan framework provided by consortium of banks.
- Providing legal advice to City Arena Trnava relating to a syndicated loan refinancing.
- Providing legal advice to a debtor in relation to the KLINGERKA development project financing.
RUŽIČKA AND PARTNERS s. r. o.
RUŽIČKA AND PARTNERS s. r. o. fields a team of 'highly experienced professionals', who act for an impressive roster of domestic and international banks and financial institutions, advising both borrowers and lenders on a range of transactions, complex regulatory matters, and loan restructurings. Transactions specialist Dana Nemčíková and financial market regulatory specialist Ján Hanko jointly lead the practice group.
Dana Nemčíková; Ján Hanko
‘Highly experienced professionals providing a reliable service for reasonable price.’
- Acting for MOL Plc Hungary in voluntary share offer and squeeze out proceedings.
- Providing legal services National Development Fund II relating to the implementation of a special portfolio risk sharing loan tool.
- Advising KOOPERATIVA poisťovňa, a member of Vienna Insurance Group, on changes to the shareholders’ structure.
Schönherr Rechtstanwälte GmbH, o.z. (Schoenherr Slovakia)
The team at Schönherr Rechtstanwälte GmbH, o.z. (Schoenherr Slovakia) regularly advises regional clients in the banking and financial services sector on a wide range of cross-border financing transactions and loan facility negotiations. The group also has experience handling regulatory matters for traditional financial institutions, alternative investors and payment service providers, and draws on the legal tech innovations of the wider firm to benefit clients. In line with the Slovak office’s strong commitment to female leadership, the practice is led by regulatory and financing specialist Sona Hekelova.
Schur Flexibles group
KommunalKredit Austria AG
KBC Group N. V.
Erste Group AG
Syncreon Group B.V.
- Advising Kommunalkredit Austria AG as arranger and original lender, on Slovak acquisition financing provided to Enery Development for multiple solar power plants.
- Advising Schur Flexibles group on matters related to a non-recourse factoring programme for the Slovak subsidiary.
- Advising Kongsberg Automotive ASA on the increase of a super senior revolving facility from an international syndicate of banks.
Squire Patton Boggs s.r.o.’s banking and finance practice stands out for its strength in fintech and blockchain and cryptocurrency matters. Practice head Silvia Belovičová has specialist expertise in fintech and regtech issues, but also leads the team on a range of regulatory and restructuring mandates, real estate financing and acquisition financing. Also of note is the emerging focus on trade receivables and factoring work, often in collaboration with colleagues from the firm’s Prague and Berlin offices.
Silvia Belovičová; Danica Šebestová
Hanon Systems Slovakia s.r.o.
Československá obchodní banka a.s.
- Advising Banco Santander on the Slovak law aspects of its factoring financing.
- Acting for Československá obchodní banka, a.s., in its fifth financing in a row – a bilateral financing of a group of major European operators of food retail stores in Slovakia.
The team at Taylor Wessing Slovakia is regularly instructed by Slovak financial institutions and mid-sized Austrian banks and leasing companies operating in the CEE region. The firm focuses on compliance matters and cross-border financings, and also regularly advises on restructuring matters. Silvia Hlavačková, a transactions specialist with prior experience at the legal department of a large regional bank, leads the team.
‘Perfect. It was a very good cooperation with real professionals in law. I really can give very positive feedback on all the members of Taylor Wessing whom I worked with. I would like to emphasize the perfect communication skills, and resolute focus on the final result the whole time during cooperation. All the people from team were very helpful. They were open to help me 24/7, which I greatly appreciate.’
Cronos Invest j.s.a.
CENTRAL NIC GROUP PLC
Slovenská sporiteľňa, a.s. (member of the Erste Group)
- Providing legal advice to Slovenská sporiteľňa, a.s. on corporate matters relating to the establishment of a joint venture with a company supporting public and private investments in strategic sectors in Slovakia.
- Representing Cronos Invest j.s.a. and its SPVs in negotiations with a bank related to the financing of a shopping centre and an administrative building acquisitions in Košice.
- Providing legal advice to Central Nic Group and to SK-Nic, a.s. relating to the termination of the debt facility agreement and de-registration of securities.
Wolf Theiss regularly acts for regional and international clients on a variety of refinancings, acquisition financings, and complex debt capital market matters. The team is particularly noted for its cross-border regulatory capabilities, often working in collaboration with colleagues from the firm’s offices in Prague and Vienna. Capital markets specialist Robert David leads the team from Prague, while recently hired counsel Bruno Štefánik strengthens the team’s regulatory practice. Katarína Bieliková left in May 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Munich RE Group
Erste Group Bank
- Advising a leading Italian banking group on the development of digital products that the bank wished to make available to its customers in Slovakia as well as other CEE countries.
- Advising Munich RE Group on the sale of its subsidiaries in CEE, including Slovakia.
- Advising Erste Group Bank on a number of debt capital market matters.
Škubla & Partneri s.r.o.
Škubla & Partneri s.r.o. handles a range of high-value project financing matters in Slovakia. Its membership in the Loan Market Association refines its focus on lending practices, and the firm regularly acts on behalf of obligor parties in major loan transactions. Marián Šulík heads up the banking and finance team. Noted for his representation of borrower parties, Šulík regularly advises on loan renegotiations for clients in private equity, real estate development, and telecoms.
Penta Real Estate
SKY PARK OFFICES
SKY PARK RESIDENCES
Bory Mall, a.s.
eMeM, spol. s r.o.
Prima banka Slovensko
- Acted for the Slovakian subsidiary of Telefonika Kable in connection with complete LMA-standard loan and refinancing documentation.
- Provided legal advice to Sky Park Offices, related to the bridge financing of a significant office construction project.
- Advised Dúbravka Development, s.r.o. on transactions related to a major real estate acquisition, acting for the lender in connection with distressed asset acquisition and subsequent refinancing.
Advokátska kancelária MCL
Advokátska kancelária MCL has expertise in borrower-side mandates, including hedging arrangements and refinancing, acting for a number of private equity investors, consumer goods manufacturers and real estate developers. The team is jointly led by Martin Jurečko, a transactions specialist, and Michal Ranostaj, a corporate finance specialist based in the Prague office. Senior associate Simona Rapavá was a new arrival in March 2021.
Martin Jurečko; Michal Ranostaj
Other key lawyers:
- Advised MiddleCap, a leading CEE private-equity fund, on the acquisition of FOKUS optik a.s. and FOKUS očná optika a.s..
- Advising MiddleCap on the design, construction and financing of a new build commercial office scheme at Rushworth Street, Southwark London.
- Advised REINOO, a real estate development and investment group, on the restructuring of its financial indebtedness and collateral arrangements.
Beatow Partners s.r.o
The team at Beatow Partners s.r.o advises key regional financial institutions on regulatory mandates and cross-border transactions, and has developed a strong network of international contacts, regularly handling referral work from international law firms. Moreover, the firm’s membership in Meritas (a global alliance of independent commercial firms) strengthens its growing reputation as provider of multi-jurisdictional legal services. Cross-border financing specialist Michal Delinčák and Oliver Weber, a leasing specialist, jointly lead the practice group.
Michal Delinčák; Oliver Weber
‘They are client and deal-oriented, and are focused on getting the deal over the line.’
‘I personally know Michal Delincak. He is a good communicator and facilitator of the deal. The no-nonsense approach is appreciated by clients.’
bnt attorneys in CEE
A number of international clients utilise bnt attorneys in CEE’s strong regional network for projects with a cross-border element. The presence of a largely German-speaking team and a German-qualified lawyer makes the Slovak office an attractive choice for clients across the region seeking assistance on mandates, including acquisition financings, loan and credit negotiations. The team is led by dual German- and Slovak-qualified attorney Margareta Sovova.
UniCredit Bank AG
Nákupné centrum, s.r.o. (affiliate of MTK BRAPRA Asset AG)
Raiffeisenlandesbank Niederösterreich – Wien AG
Raiffeisenbank Region Amstetten eGen
Raiffeisen-Regionalbank Gänserndorf eGen
- Advised UniCredit Bank AG on securing of a loan in the amount of €80m.
- Advised EU Poultry on a multipurpose credit in the amount of €17.4m.
- Advising Nákupné centrum, s.r.o. on financing aspects regarding the sale of an office building in Bratislava city centre for €18m.
The banking and finance practice at bpv Braun Partners s.r.o., o.z. is noted for its transactional capability and creditor-side loan mandates for regional banks and financial institutions. The team also provides regulatory advice to a number of alternative lenders and financial services clients. Igor Augustinič and Arthur Braun jointly lead the team from Bratislava and Prague respectively, alongside financial law specialist David Vosol, who is based in Prague.
David Vosol; Igor Augustinič; Arthur Braun
Capital Bank – GRAWE
CERHA HEMPEL Šiška & Partners s. r. o. advises creditors and debtors on a range of financings, planning matters, treasury operations, and regulatory issues. In particular, the firm is noted for experience acting for international banks. Managing partner Karol Šiška is a key figure for banking and finance work. Practice head Jozef Bannert is also recommended for corporate transactional work and litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Deloitte Legal s. r. o. acts for a number of local, regional and international banks and financial institutions in a range of strategic tax and financing issues and regulatory matters. The firm is also noted for its borrower-side financing mandates, routinely advising on syndicated and bilateral lending transactions. The practice group is led by Dagmar Yoder, who handles many of the team's standout transactions and also provides comprehensive regulatory advice.
Other key lawyers:
Prvá stavebná sporiteľňa, a.s.
Tatra Banka, a.s.
KOOPERATIVA poisťovňa, a.s. Vienna Insurance Group
Powszechna Kasa Oszczędności Bank Polski S.A.
U. S. Steel Košice s.r.o.
Arriva Slovakia a.s.
Slovenský plynárenský priemysel, a.s.
Východoslovenská energetika Holding, a.s.
MOL Magyar Olaj- és Gázipari Nyilvánosan Működő Részvénytársaság
- Advising Powszechna Kasa Oszczędności Bank Polski S.A. on the set-up and opening of a branch of the biggest Polish bank in the Slovak Republic.
- Advising US Steel Košice, s.r.o. on collateral matters related to the substantial amendment of a revolving banking loan provided to the client via a syndicated loan agreement with multiple internationals banking institutions.
- Advising the Board of Directors and Supervisory Board of Tatra Banka, a.s. on new statutory obligations and procedures and sanctions arising from amended legislation.
The team at DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach Rechtsanwälte GmbH, o.z. leverages the firm’s strong global and regional presence in multi-jurisdictional financing and refinancing transactions. In addition to borrower and lender-side facility negotiations, the firm also assists commercial clients and financial institutions with insolvency matters and regulatory advice in light of the Covid-19 pandemic. Michaela Stessl manages the practice.
‘The Slovak DLA Piper team is a great team. Michaela and her team take care of their clients extremely professionally, and they are extremely responsive. Their clients benefit from the special knowledge and sector-specific teams that DLA Piper has established. Fast and high quality advice even for complex matters is guaranteed. ’
‘I have known Michaela Stessl for many years. She is a very responsible, straightforward and efficient lawyer. In my view, her clients can be proud of being in very good hands and many regard her as a trusted advisor. I only ever hear positive feedback from peers in the market.’
‘Well-organized team, headed by a respected leader. The team is well-knit and cohesive, internally supportive. Communication between the team members is efficient and genial.’
‘My experience with Michaela Stessl fully matches her reputation. Highly professional, focused and dedicated partner. Perfectly understands and distinguishes the core and essence of each issue.’
‘Always available, highly knowledgable. Able to put themselves into the shoes of the client and therefore able to truly represent the client’s needs. Excellent knowledge of the economic, political and legal environment in Slovakia. Very strong negotiation skills and very goal-oriented.’
‘Michaela Stessl, managing partner, has outstanding legal know-how and negotiation skills. Always available and goal-oriented at a truly outstanding level!’
UniCredit Bank Austria AG
International Capital Market Association
CIT Aerospace – Avalon
Banca IMI SpA
Raiffeisen-Landesbank Steiermark AG
The Royal Bank of Scotland
TSG Interactive Services Ltd
Kommunalkredit Austria AG
- Advising International Capital Market Association and the International Securities Lending Association on the production of a combined legal opinion update in relation to, inter alia, re-characterisation risk and the effectiveness of the netting provisions of the GMRA and the GMSLA.
- Reviewing certain insolvency law issues for CIT Aerospace – Avalon, related to the sublease of certain aircraft.
Since its formation following the incorporation of Dvořák Hager & Partners in December 2019, the team at Eversheds Sutherland, advokátska kancelária, s.r.o. has marked itself out as a strong player in project-based banking and finance mandates. The team often collaborates with the Prague office on a range of cross-border acquisition financings, debt securities deals and regulatory advisory work. Bernard Hager heads up the team and is qualified to practice in Czechia and Slovakia.
Hillbridges is experienced across a range of industry sectors, including energy and infrastructure, aviation, chemicals, and food and beverage, acting for borrower-side clients on high-value financing transactions. Project finance is a key strength, as are mezzanine and distressed asset finance transactions in the real estate sector. Regulatory work is also a notable area of expertise. Zuzana Bartošovičová, Miroslav Trenčan, Andrej Adamčík and Martin Cabak are contacts in the team.
Zuzana Bartošovičová; Miroslav Trenčan; Andrej Adamčík; Martin Cabak
Noerr regularly acts for domestic and international credit institutions, financial institutions, investment funds, leasing companies and corporate clients on financing transactions. In particular, the team is noted for its experience acting for German-speaking clients. Tomáš Záborský heads up the banking and finance practice.
Paul Q Law Firm
Paul Q Law Firm has a broad service offering, with recent highlights spanning acquisition financings, syndicated lending, securities transactions, debt restructurings and refinancings. The team is also noted for its regulatory advisory capabilities, and frequently handles referral work from a number of international law firms, often acting for investment banks, pharmaceutical companies and real estate developers. The team is jointly led by Eduard Winkler, who frequently advises clients on commercial and corporate finance matters, and financial law specialist Jiří Budinský.
Jiří Budinský; Eduard Winkler
KRUK Czech and Slovak Republic
Nanjing Goldenhighway International SCM Corp.
PETERKA & PARTNERS
PETERKA & PARTNERS' strong CEE presence and collaboration between offices place the firm in a strong position to handle cross-border matters across the region. The team is particularly noted for its regulatory expertise acting for payment service providers and cryptocurrency clients, as well as for larger international insurers, commercial banks and building societies. The team is led by transactions specialist Lubomir Lesko.
Flawless Money Limited
YCE HOUSING I (member of Vicus Capital Advisors)
W.A.G. payment solutions
Wüstenrot stavebná sporiteľňa
- Providing legal advisory to companies from the international group Swiss Re, a global provider of financial services and reinsurance, in connection with various matters specific to the client’s area of operations (insurance and reinsurance services).
- Providing long-term legal assistance to Flawless Money Limited, a leading international provider of advisory and consulting services in the field of electronic money and payments.
- Providing legal services to Anteos concerning the Slovak legal regulation of various aspects of cryptocurrencies.
The sizeable team at SOUKENÍK – ŠTRPKA, s. r. o. has a particularly strong reputation in the insurance sector, and acts for a number of longstanding clients in the areas of banking and insurance in Slovakia. The firm's participation in the Lawyerex programme has bolstered its experience in international jurisdictions, a fact reflected in its increased focus on cross-border mandates. Practice heads Marek Benko and Milan Gocník are noted for their expertise in various segments of the insurance market, while Gocník has also taken the lead in high-value loan transactions in the energy and construction sectors. Senior associate Miloš Gáfrik is also recommended.
Marek Benko; Milan Gocník
Other key lawyers:
‘We are very satisfied with legal services provided by SOUKENÍK – ŠTRPKA, and I am especially satisfied with legal services provided by Jozef Nádaský’
‘The entire team is young, enthusiastic and ambitious about achieving their targets. I have worked with SOUKENÍK – ŠTRPKA for many years.’
‘I have had a great experience working with Marek Benko and Peter Štrpka.’
‘We enjoy a close working relationship with SOUKENÍK – ŠTRPKA and we really appreciate the cooperation with their partners.’
‘SOUKENÍK – ŠTRPKA operates with high ethical values, and understands the needs of all parties in reaching an agreement.’
Respect Slovakia, s.r.o.
PREMIUM Insurance Company Limited
Slovak Association of Insurance Intermediaries
The Association of Financial Agent and Advisers
KONŠTRUKTA – Industry, akciová spoločnosť
VODOHOSPODÁRSKA VÝSTAVBA, ŠTÁTNY PODNIK
Apep Development s. r. o.
ČSOB Leasing, a. s.
- Providing long-term legal services to Respect Slovakia, s.r.o.
- Advised Vodohospodárska Výstavba, Štátny Podnik on a loan transaction exceeding €350m.
- Providing long-term legal services to PREMIUM Insurance Company Limited, in relation to the operation of insurance activities.
Led by Michal Hulena, the team at Stentors has developed a strong reputation in commercial markets both regionally and internationally. Some of the largest asset managers, VC funds, banks, real estate developers and healthcare providers in Central Europe turn to the team for its advice on loan transactions and acquisition financing. The firm's recent incorporation into the Parlex Group reinforces its international foothold, and it now operates a permanent office in the Czech Republic, headed up by Petra Vlachová.
Other key lawyers:
‘Stentors are young, but ambitious and focused team, consisting of experienced partners and skilled associates. Team members have great knowledge of legal banking and financing environment in Slovakia.’
‘Mr. Hulena is a very responsible and reliable business partner, very skilled, with perfect communication style. Counseling is always provided in time, comprehensibly and with full engagement.’
Cord Blood Center
- Advising Advena Management on regulatory and corporate matters pertaining to the establishment of an alternative investment fund (SICAV) in Slovakia and a hedge fund in the British Virgin Islands.
- Advising Cord Blood Center on external financing of business activities and expansions.
The team at Zárecký Zeman is noted for its proficiency in compliance and banking regulatory law, and is frequently instructed by banking credit bureaus for its expertise in data protection and contractual issues. The firm is also active in a number of real estate financing mandates, both for developers and investors. Tomáš Zárecký Dentico, a real estate financing expert, leads the practice.
Tomás Zárecký Dentico
- Advising Non-Banking Credit Bureau, s.r.o on the elaboration of contracts on provision of services, in line with the Act on Banks, Act on Consumer Loans, GDPR and other regulations.
- Representing Eurovia CS in the public procurement for PPP project for D4 motorway in Czech Republic with the expected value of €950m.