Insurance: foreign firms in Singapore
Clyde & Co Clasis Singapore
Clyde & Co Clasis Singapore has a strong offering in both insurance and reinsurance contentious and non-contentious work, handling defence work, coverage disputes and subrogated recoveries, as well as marine and aviation insurance. Focusing on corporate transactions, co-head Ian Stewart 'knows the insurance industry' and particularly the 'regulators' practice very well'. Co-head Ian Roberts and Ik Wei Chong make up the other key partners.
Ian Stewart; Ian Roberts
Other key lawyers:
‘Cross class expertise and global strength across offices, expertise in managing major litigation, aviation and credit losses.’
‘Ian Stewart knows the insurance industry and regulators’ practice very well.’
Arthur J Gallagher group
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty
- Advising Bupa group on various insurance licensing and regulatory matters in respect of its regional activities and its ongoing presence in Singapore.
- Advising Axis Capital on a variety of corporate insurance matters, including advising on issues relating to the new Singapore Outsourcing Guidelines, data protection issues and matters relating to its regulatory responsibilities.
- Acted for CNA Hardy on its reorganisation of its Asia business operations, including the restructuring of its Lloyd’s Asia operations and Lloyd’s China operations.
Morrison & Foerster (Singapore) LLP provides 'very straightforward and efficient advice' to insurers in relation to warranty and indemnity insurance, fintech and insuretech. Jake Robson is experienced in cross-border acquisitions, disposals and joint venture arrangements. Counsel Maria Steeples has a strong track record acting for insurers on the most complex and innovative applications of warranty and indemnity insurance policies.
Other key lawyers:
‘Maria Steeples is the leading warranty and indemnity legal adviser in Asia Pacific, with many years of experience working hand-in-hand with underwriters to navigate a complex product and provide a commercial solution. Maria ensures that Morrison & Foerster is head and shoulders above their next closest competitor law firm in the M&A insurance space.’
AIG Asia Pacific Insurance Pte Ltd
AIG General Insurance Co., Ltd
AIG Insurance Hong Kong Limited
Beazley Furlonge Limited
Chubb Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.
DLA Piper's insurance practice is split between the firm's Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok offices. It advises on the insurance aspects of business operations, M&A transactions and acts for clients in commercial disputes involving regulatory compliance issues. John Goulios is the primary figure in Singapore where he advises on professional indemnity, class actions and property and construction losses for the direct and reinsurance markets.
‘In-depth knowledge of how insurance policies and coverage operates.’
- Advised Aflac Incorporated on its $20m minority equity investment in Singapore Life, a digitally-focused life insurance company based in Singapore.
- Advised CVS Health and Aetna Global Holdings jointly on the regulatory change of control approval processes across all jurisdictions where Aetna Inc. operates its insurance business outside of the US.
- Assisted Ironshore Insurance, Liberty Mutual and AIG as underwriter’s counsel on warranty and indemnity policies relating to various Asia M&A deals, such as on the underwriting process for providing warranty and indemnity insurance for the benefit of the purchaser concerning its purchase of an Indonesian entity with real estate interests.
- Representing Htoo Group, Allied World Assurance Co., Ltd., Trust International Insurance and Reinsurance Company, as the hotel operator and its insurers in public liability claims arising from a fire at Kandawgyi Palace Hotel in Myanmar that resulted in numerous claims from hotel guests for lost property and wrongful death.
DWF's full service practice handles a broad range of insurance matters, including business establishment, insuretech, reinsurance regulations and domestic retention requirements, regional insurance coverage programmes, portfolio transfers, divestments and business run-offs. On the contentious side, the group also acts as defence counsel for insurers in coverage and subrogated recovery matters. Jonathan Goacher joined the practice in August 2018 from Kennedys Legal Solutions.
Asia Capital Reinsurance Group
- Advising Asia Capital Reinsurance Group on compliance with US sanctions across business lines, including conducting staff training and providing bespoke transactional advice.
- Advised FPG Insurance on insurance website terms and conditions for use in Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand.
Anna Tipping leads the Asia-wide insurance practice at Norton Rose Fulbright; she has a strong track record in M&A, distribution/bancassurance, structured and alternative risk transfer insurance transactions, among others. Other core areas for the team include credit default insurance, regulatory matters and cybersecurity issues.
Hyperion / Howden Insurance Brokers
Vision Service Programme
- Advised Hyperion Insurance Group on the acquisition by Howden Broking Group Limited of 60% of the issued share capital of IPG Asia Holdings Limited and the associated joint venture agreement entered into by Howden Broking Group and IPG Asia Holdings.
- Advising various global banks, including Standard Chartered Bank, RBS, UOB, Natwest, Coutts, Macquarie and BNP Paribas on credit default insurance and local regulatory issues.
- Advised on AXA’s acquisition of 50% of the Chinese property and casualty insurance joint venture, Shanghai-based AXA Tianping.
RPC Premier Law
At RPC Premier Law, Mark Errington specialises in advising insurers and reinsurers on coverage issues and dispute resolution, particularly in the engineering, construction, power generation and energy sectors. Iain Anderson's practice focuses on the marine, energy and trade credit sectors. Gerald Yee, who was a new arrival from Clyde & Co Clasis Singapore, handles insurance-related litigation involving trade credit enforcement and recovery as well as general liability.
Mark Errington, Iain Anderson
Other key lawyers:
‘Mark Errington is insightful, strategic, and well versed in the application of law.’
AXA XL Catlin
- Advising the international reinsurers of a Contractors’ All Risk insurance policy on a significant infrastructure project in South-East Asia.
- Acting on behalf of an insurer in a claim under an Erection All Risks policy arising out of an explosion and subsequent fire during the commissioning stage of a new biofuel-powered co-generational boiler.
- Appointed cyber breach coordinator to a reinsurance company to coordinate legal services across the Asia Pacific region for clients’ cyber insurance solutions.