Clyde & Co Clasis Singapore is particularly strong on joint ventures, M&A, and corporate restructuring, as well as assisting global insurers and insureds with regulatory advice. Ian Roberts leads the non-marine insurance practice and is an experienced commercial and (re)insurance coverage litigator. The corporate insurance side is lead by Ian Stewart, who is focused on licensing, acquisitions and disposals, portfolio transfers, and outsourcing arrangements.
Insurance: foreign firms in Singapore
Clyde & Co Clasis Singapore
‘Very strong credit team in Singapore’
Odyssey Reinsurance Company
Arthur J. Gallagher
- Representing both the crew on board the vessel, Lai Bao and Lodestar Marine Limited in respect of claims against the owners of the vessel and unpaid wages.
- Advising Odyssey Reinsurance Company on a complex secondment agreement, which included a change in structure of the two entities, and the secondment arrangement.
- Representing the Arthur J. Gallagher companies and its employees in proceedings commenced by a reinsurance brokerage firm in the High Court of Singapore.
DLA Piper impresses with its cross-border ability to handle claims and regulatory insurance matters on behalf of international insurers and reinsurers, led by Singapore based John Goulios acting alongside a pan-Asian team. The firm is noted for its strengths in insurance mandates involving Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, and Hong Kong. In contentious matters, Goulios has a strong record in cases involving insurance coverage in financial lines, property, and construction, as well as large mining and catastrophic losses. Senior associate Andrew Robinson frequently acts alongside Goulios in cases involving warranties and indemnities, insurance regulatory compliance, cyber risks, and data security.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong Technical skills on insurance matters’
‘John Goulios has the ability to explain difficult insurance and law concept in very simplified manner.’
Marsh & McLennan Companies Inc.
- Advised Marsh & McLennan Companies Inc. on its global post-acquisition integration (covering eight Asian jurisdictions), including obtaining certain exemptions from the local insurance regulators, as well as advising on the structuring of the insurance intermediaries and client transfers under the insurance regulations.
- Advising Liberty Mutual on the underwriting process for providing warranty and indemnity insurance for the benefit of the purchaser in respect of its purchase of a shopping mall in Singapore.
- The Singapore and Bangkok teams provided AIG Singapore with extensive legal liability and policy coverage advice in respect of the significant damage and losses incurred following the collapse of a core section of the XePian XeNamnoy dam project network in Southern Laos in July 2018.
HFW Singapore LLP
HFW Singapore LLP is a recognized name in the aviation and shipping insurance market providing legal expertise in dispute resolution, transactional and regulatory matters. Mert Hifzi specialises in high-profile and multi-jurisdictional insurance claims relating to aviation accidents, losses, and regulation, while in the maritime industry Toby Stephens advises on risk management, regulatory liabilities, and crisis management.
‘HFW team are pragmatic in their approach to defending/settling liability claims.’
- Acting for Airports of Thailand and its insurers and reinsurers in investigations and claims relating to a collision in Thailand.
Morrison & Foerster (Singapore) LLP is known for its depth of expertise in warranty and indemnity insurance in M&A transactions, advising both buyers and sellers on contentious and non-contentious aspects. The team has also been actively advising insurers on the impact of Covid-19 on Asia-wide policy coverage and the policy changes suitable for distressed M&A deals. Counsel Maria Steeples has a strong relationship with AIG in relation to its warranty and indemnity work. Jake Robson left for King & Wood Mallesons in March 2020.
AIG Asia Pacific Insurance Pte Ltd
Beazley Furlonge Limited
Chubb Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.
Berkshire Hathaway Speciality Insurance
Offering expertise in the cross-border insurance aspects of M&A and joint ventures, business licensing and restructuring, technology, and regulatory compliance including anti-money laundering and investigations, Norton Rose Fulbright is regularly instructed by household names such as Standard Chartered Bank, Macquarie, HSBC, and Vodafone. Corporate and regulatory lawyer Anna Tipping primarily focuses on M&A, distribution/bancassurance, corporate restructuring, structured and alternative risk transfer insurance transactions.
Standard Chartered Bank
RBS & Natwest
Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
- Advised banks including Standard Chartered Bank, RBS & Natwest, Macquarie, BNP Paribas, HSBC and Commonwealth Bank of Australia, among others as to whether credit default insurance purchased by them to protect against the risk of non-payment by obligors meets the legal requirements imposed by Basel III and the relevant local implementing regulations.
- Advised AXA on the acquisition of 50 per cent of the Chinese property and casualty insurance joint venture AXA Tianping based in Shanghai.
RPC Premier Law
With a team of lawyers spread across the Singapore and Hong Kong offices, RPC Premier Law is able to defend claims and advise on policy coverage across all asset classes, particularly in marine and energy remit. Practice head Mark Errington specialises in acting for insurers and reinsurers on coverage issues and disputes in the property, construction, and power generation sectors. In the maritime sphere, Iain Anderson and Gerald Yee are the key partners.
AXA XL Catlin
- Advising leading international insurers and reinsurers on their business interruption insurance exposures under both their standard clauses and in relation to specific claims across numerous jurisdictions in Asia arising out of Covid-19 and governmental lockdowns across the region.
- Advised international reinsurers of a major power and water plant which was being constructed in the UAE. Following 15 separate incidents the project was significantly delayed; the team advised on various policy coverage issues under a Contractor’s All Risks policy following the discovery of various construction defects.
- Continue to support and advise leading regional marine hull insurers in relation to a complex and emotional claim for the total loss of a super yacht which reportedly sank after a fire and an explosion during a voyage from Malaysia, to Singapore in late 2016.
Kennedys Legal Solutions
Kennedys Legal Solutions has bolstered its Singapore insurance practice with the hire of Patrick Yeo and Hui Ying Lim from Withers KhattarWong LLP, who work alongside an experienced team led by Julian Wallace in handling all manner of claims in the property, energy, finance, and aviation industries. Wallace is the primary partner for directors and officers liability insurance, fidelity, BBB insurance, and professional indemnity business interruption, while Peng Lim is the lead partner on aviation-related insurance losses. Ben Nicholson is of note for property and construction (re)insurance arrangements and claims.
Allied World Assurance Company
- Advising Chubb on its reinsurance dispute with Allianz Malaysia currently being argued in the Malaysian High Court over the application of the Follow the Settlement Clause vis-à-vis the Claims Cooperation Clause and whether the latter prevails over the former.
- Advising P&I Insurer on allision of vessel with project jetty in Brunei. Issues in relation to liability under a chain of charterparties, negligence claims from project principal, and coverage under project construction all risks insurance.
- Acted for Mitsui Sumitomo First Capital Insurance in an injury claim involving claim by injured worker against insured policyholder of client.