Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland in Scotland
Brodies LLP has been notably active in the emerging build-to-rent sector while also maintaining its strong presence in the investment, development, hotel, retail and leisure, housebuilding and alternatives spaces. Glasgow-based practice head Johane Murray has a track record advising the government and industry bodies, while Aberdeen head Tracey Menzies has a particular focus on office developments, housebuilding issues and build-to-rent mandates. Also notable is Clive Phillips, who is an expert in agricultural law and leads the rural property team. Colin MacLaren retired.
Johane Murray; Tracey Menzies
Other key lawyers:
‘The real estate team is properly focused on what the clients need and expect. Its experts are keen to get to the nub of issues and strive not to get bogged down losing sight of the endgame.’
‘Its commercial understanding and nous makes Brodies stand out.’
Knight Property Group
University of Aberdeen
House of Hiranandani
Drum Property Group
APG Asset Management
Aberdeen City Council
- Advised LCN Aksol Aberdeen on its purchase of the Aker Campus at Aberdeen International Business Park.
- Acted for GSS Investments (Aberdeen) on the lease of the Stratus Building at ABZ Business Park to Noble Drilling.
- Advised Knight Property Group on the sale of two investment properties at Westhill, Aberdeen to Balfe for £13m.
- Assisted Ineos FPS with the lease of its office space at Prime View, Prime Four Business Park from Lloyds Register EMEA.
The real estate team at Burness Paull LLP regularly acts for blue chip corporate occupiers on asset management issues and office relocations, and assists occupiers with taking spaces in major shopping centres and high-street locations across Scotland. The firm's housebuilding group, led by Richard Goodfellow, advises housebuilders on projects as well as landowners on major residential developments. Practice head John Strachan has a notable strength in development work, regularly acting for funders on development transactions and for developers focused on delivering affordable housing; senior associate Sarah Stewart also handles development mandates.
A & J Robertson (Granite) Limited
Aberdeen Football Club PLC
Cats Management Limited (now Kellas Midstream Limited)
Clients of 90N Real Estate Partners LLP
Countesswells Development Ltd
Duke of Fife
GE Oil & Gas
John Clark Motor Group
Rowett Research Institute
Stewart Milne Group
Total E&P UK
University of St Andrews
Uppermill Farms Ltd
- Acting for Uppermill Farms on the sale of the National Oilwell Varco office and industrial headquarters facility in Kintore, Aberdeenshire.
- Handled the £28.9m sale of five tranches of residential development land consisting of 328 units for Countesswells Development.
- Advised Aberdeen Football Club on its acquisition of land for a proposed new stadium and training facility.
- Advised Manse on the sale of a significant mixed-use development site at Corton, Ayr with permission for 750 houses and retail space.
- Assisting Cats Management with the lease of the seventh floor of the The Silver Fin Building.
The real estate experts at Pinsent Masons LLP regularly act for high-profile local and national developers operating across Scotland. The team is spread across Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen and is recognised for its work for major oil and gas companies. Aberdeen-based Rodney Whyte leads the practice, which is also active in residential development projects. The team also handles energy developments, planning work and regenerations.
Other key lawyers:
BDW Trading Limited (Barratt Homes)
The Pilkington Trust
Avant Homes (Scotland) Limited
Taylor Wimpey plc
Persimmon Homes Limited
ABZ Development Limited
GSS Developments(Aberdeen) Limited
Aberdeen Harbour Board
Kier Property Developments
Mactaggart & Mickel
Bellway Homes Limited
- Acted for CALA Management on the implementation of a development agreement for the purchase of a residential development at Craibstone Campus, Aberdeen.
- Assisted Avant Homes and CALA Management with the acquisition of a 600 unit development at Mauricewood, Penicuik.
- Advised Watt Taylor on the sale of a 120 unit development at Kirkton, Fraserburgh.
- Acted for Aberdeen Harbour Board on the development of a new harbour at Nigg, Aberdeen.
Blackadders LLP's real estate expertise spans sales and purchases, leasing matters, property investments, property finance work, property developments, renewable energy projects and property disputes. Group head Emma Gray handles the full spectrum of commercial property issues with key experience in the retail and leisure sectors. The firm's recent merger with Plenderleath Runcie brought Neil Robb into the team, who has notable expertise acting for developers; Dundee-based Stuart King was also recently promoted to the partnership.
‘Blackadders is knowledgeable, approachable and always available to help.’
‘The service provided by Blackadders is always professional, highly competent, timely and efficient. Each team member in the commercial property department is very approachable and offers clear and reliable advice, guidance and support which is well communicated and expertly executed.’
‘Emma Gray is very knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to dealing with property attractions. She is very good at cutting through issues, identifying key risks and giving guidance where required.’
‘Emma Gray is highly professional and knowledgeable. She has excellent awareness and a helpful, friendly and understanding approach. She is extremely pro-active throughout any transaction and I would not hesitate to recommend her and the Blackadders team to both small and large clients alike.’
James Hay Pension Trustees Limited
Salvation Army Trading Company Limited
Morris Leslie Group
Hotel Management International Limited
A & J Stephen Limited
Salvation Army Trustee Company
- Advised Tayforth Properties on the redevelopment of a listed building and former warehouse including handling the related head lease, occupational lease and co-working agreements.
- Assisting with the acquisition of the entire share capital of Redwood Pubs, which owns and leases eight public houses operated in Dundee and a residential property portfolio
The main strengths of Ledingham Chalmers LLP's Aberdeen-based real estate team include development work, commercial leasings, residential development acquisitions and disposals, and secured funding issues. The housebuilding sub-group is led by Alan Michie, while Alasdair Maclure leads the commercial leasing unit. Also notable are practice head Stephen Morrice and John Mitchell, who acts for landlords and tenants on the letting of office, retail and industrial premises.
Kirkwood Homes Limited
Anderson Anderson & Brown LLP
Gilcomston Investments Limited
Bancon Homes Limited
Veitchi Homes Limited
Carlton Rock Limited
Skene Group Limited
- Handled the acquisition of a 15 unit development site at Viewhill, Culloden for Kirkwood Homes.
- Assisted Carlton Rock with the sale of an industrial unit at Blackness Road, Aberdeen to Northwards.
Stronachs LLP acts for a diverse range of clients in the private and public sectors across Scotland including national and international entities, private individuals and partnerships, oil and gas companies, public sector bodies, developers and investors. Practice head Duncan Campbell assists many public sector organisations and also handles the commercial property requirements of multiple oil and gas clients. Ross Linn is the main name to note in Inverness.
Other key lawyers:
Emma Stephen; Liz Stewart; Ross Linn
‘The Stronachs commercial team consistently delivers an exceptional level of service. Transactions are carried out in an efficient and diligent manner.’
‘Clients rate the team particularly highly for complex land acquisition transactions in which it consistently excels.’
‘Emma Stephen is a strong communicator with an expansive knowledge of property and land transactions. Emma is always quick to respond to requests in a timely manner. She consistently delivers solid advice and positive outcomes.’
Global Energy Group
Strathdee Properties Limited
Peterson (United Kingdom) Limited
Spex Services Limited
Xodus Group Limited
Weatherford U.K. Limited
DOF Subsea UK Limited
Aberdein Considine’s commercial property team advises Scottish clients from its key bases in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow. The Aberdeen-based group has a particular strength in the oil and gas and marine industries; the arrival of practice head Paul Jennings in the Glasgow office has also substantially expanded the group's retail expertise. Ritchie Whyte is the key contact in the Aberdeen office and Anthony Quin is based in Stirling.
Ashfield District Council
West Coast Estates
Currie European Limited
Mack Residential Group
- Acting for Trump International Golf Club Scotland on a proposed 550 unit village development with additional leisure, commercial and retail premises.
- Handling the refinancing of developments across Aberdeenshire and Moray for Svenska Handlesbanken including equity release to assist with purchase and development funding.
- Handled the sale of an industrial unit at Stoneywood Park, Aberdeen for Caprock.
- Advising S Lee on the lease of Unit 5 Beach Esplanade, Aberdeen for the expansion of the client’s restaurant portfolio.
CMS' Paul Carter has a particularly strong track record in acting for clients including Aberdeen Asset Management, Credit Suisse and Union Investments on investment and development transactions. The team also has significant capabilities in the commercial leasing space, where it represents clients including Lloyds Register, Statoil and Hunting Energy Group.
Other key lawyers:
The Scottish commercial property team at Dentons fields a dedicated housebuilding unit, which advises major clients on project work, strategic options, consortium agreements, joint ventures and site acquisitions. Also notable is the group's strength in the renewable energy space, where practice head David Rose and members of the banking, corporate and real estate departments assist clients with acquisitions and disposals, leasings and joint venture arrangements.
‘Dentons’ partners are helpful, professional, proactive and reactive where appropriate and necessary.’
‘David Rose is exceptional. He is helpful, patient and diligent in securing a site option agreement, even with a difficult client.’
Persimmon Homes Limited
PAL Trustees Limited
RQ Capital Limited
Agile Energy Recovery Limited
Santander UK plc
Bank of Scotland plc
Hughes Electrical Limited
Muirden Energy LLP
Kilmac Properties Limited
Barclays Bank UK plc
- Advised Persimmon Homes on its purchase of a site at Moodiesburn, Lanarkshire for the development of 62 residential units.
- Instructed by Speirs Wharf Development and RQ Capital to handle the sale of a development site in the West End of Glasgow.
- Advised Santander UK on the phased acquisition of a site at Portstown, Inverurie.
Outside of the Central Belt, Harper Macleod LLP operates from its key bases in Inverness, Thurso and Lerwick. The team advises on rural, crofting and agricultural law through Calum MacLeod, who is based in Inverness and is a member of the energy and natural resources group. Other key practitioners include Ross Thomson, who handles property finance work; and department head John Meehan, who sits in the Glasgow office.
‘Harper MacLeod’s real estate team demonstrates a very positive and inclusive culture as well as a desire to do the best for its clients. When compared to many other firms, it demonstrates a high level of capabilities and resources to assist any proposal.’
‘Harper Macleod is extremely professional and knowledgeable, and is known for its excellent customer service.’
‘Harper MacLeod’s partners are very proactive, take commercial decisions and work to tight timelines to ensure any legal tasks are delivered on time.’
G & A Barnie
Tulloch Homes Group
Boyd Brothers Limited
Fairways Inverness Limited
Home Farms Partnership
TW Townsley Properties Ltd
DM PM Services Limited
Jacobite Cruises Limited
Parkland Developments Limited
Cromarty Firth Port Authority
James Evans & Sons Limited
Rural Projects & Developments Limited
Gael Force Engineering Group
Paterson Estates Limited
Rathven Investments Limited
Frankie & Lolas Limited
Independent Vetcare Limited
Britannia Hotels Limited
Clydesdale Bank Plc
Bank of Scotland Plc
St Andrews University
Wallets Marts Plc
- Acted for Parklands Developments on its purchase of a development site in Inverness from Tulloch Homes for the development of a new care home.
- Acting for Jacobite Cruises on its new 50 year lease from Dochfour Estate of Dochgarroch Hall and neighbouring land as part of the proposed development of a new visitor centre and tourist hub.
- Advising the Cromarty Firth Port Authority on the negotiation of the terms of a proposed lease with Moray Offshore Windfarm (East) regarding the use of quayside, laydown and office facilities at the Port of Cromarty Firth.
MacRoberts LLP fields a real estate team that covers all aspects of commercial property work across Scotland. Practice head David Milne has a particular focus on commercial developments, investment deals and real estate finance work.
James Hay Pension Trustees
Thomas Johnstone Ltd
Ceres Holographics Limited
- Acted for West Developments on its purchase of listed hotel building located on the boundary of a golf course in Angus.
- Advising 5SR Property Holdings on the exchange of neighbouring and contiguous commercial plots for the development of 48 commercial units.
- Assisting Eastacre with the sale of an £8m residential development on the exclusive Scores at St Andrews.
Thorntons Law LLP’s commercial property team includes specialists in construction and project management issues. The group assists clients across the UK from its offices in Tayside, Fife, Angus, Edinburgh and Perth. With a notably strong presence in the education and healthcare sectors, the practice has recently expanded its work in the leisure and hospitality space, handling multiple hotel acquisitions. Housebuilding expert Graham Wilson and practice head Ewan Miller are the key names to note in Dundee.
Other key lawyers:
Leopard Guernsey RSC Witham Penzance Propco Limited
Lethendy Estates Limited
The Firm of Messrs Donald Laird
Robert Adam and Sons
Angus Housing Association
Hillcrest Housing Association Ltd
Caledonia Housing Association Ltd
An East Coast Port Authority
- Instructed by Angus Housing Association to handle the purchase of land in three phases with separate building contracts for each phase from a national house builder for 54 new build affordable housing units on a greenfield site in Monifieth.
- Assisting Hillcrest Housing Association with the purchase of a brownfield site in Aberdeen from a national house builder for the construction of 130 new affordable housing units.
- Handled lease work for an East coast port authority as landlord to a distribution company.