Aberdein Considine is an ‘excellent proactive firm providing a first-class service and advice’ to an enviable client roster comprising leading banks and financial institutions. The practice combines the firm’s lender services and commercial debt recovery group and handles secured and unsecured asset recovery matters, mortgages, and commercial debt issues. Myra Scott leads the team from Glasgow which has demonstrable strength across banking litigation and is present across the Scottish landscape with offices in Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh, as well as in Newcastle. The team has been enhanced with several new additions to the team including partner Neil Patterson, who joined from an in-house role at Ascent Performance Group Ltd and Diane Gunderson who joined from a local authority.
Debt recovery in Scotland
Other key lawyers:
Neil Patterson; Diane Gunderson
‘Excellent proactive firm providing a first-class service and advice.’
‘They always ensure that access is available to operational teams and partners.’
‘Their end-to-end service covers all jurisdictions which is a key for us at it means they can act as a partner on all aspects of debt recovery across the organisation’.
‘A high-quality service is always provided with a good balance between protecting a lenders’ rights and ensuring that positive customer outcomes are achieved.’
‘Compared to other firms, they are able to offer a much wider range of services across a number of financial products.’
‘Aberdein Considine’s instructions are well prepared; they show a clear grasp of detail and cases that have been thoroughly thought through.’
‘Myra Scott provides a high standard of service at all times; knowledgeable and skilled but approachable.’
‘Myra is well known for her practical and jargon free advice. She bring her years of experience and knowledge to maximise positive results for client and to horizon scan for upcoming risks for lenders.’
Lloyds Banking Group
Royal Bank of Scotland
The Co-Operative Bank plc
Santander UK plc
Nationwide Building Society
CYBG plc trading as Virgin Money
Skipton Building Society
TSB Bank plc
The Mortgage Lender plc
Pepper (UK) Ltd
Move with Us (Partners in Property (UK) Limited)
Atom Bank plc
- Advising a cohort of the UK’s largest lenders including Lloyds Banking Group, Santander UK plc, Virgin Money & Co-Operative Bank plc on their strategies for handling consumer debt and recovery action following the commencement of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Advising Lloyds Banking Group on the recovery of a portfolio of 12 high-value secured debts each containing complex limitation / prescription issues.
The debt recovery practice at Brodies LLP exhibits ‘exceptional legal knowledge’ and has a track record acting in advising on high-value banking litigation and handling motor finance matters, complemented by its volume debt recovery group. Jointly managed by seasoned litigators Iain Rutherford, Stephen Goldie and managing associate Marianne Griffin, the team has experience of acting for banks, financial services sector clients, utility companies and motor finance companies across the full gamut of matters. Frank Johnstone specialises in consumer credit matters. At the associate level, Craig Donnelly is active in contentious matters, particularly contract disputes.
Iain Rutherford; Stephen Goldie; Marianne Griffin
Other key lawyers:
Frank Johnstone; Craig Donnelly
‘We have a great and much valued relationship with Brodies. They are proactive but also know when to apply a soft touch to the relationship, especially during the pandemic.’
‘They look after our Scottish cases for us, and we fully lean on their knowledge and recommendations.’
‘Everything is worked on with the minimum of fuss and a very personal touch.’
‘They always make themselves available to work through any queries and provide guidance where required.’
‘Frank Johnstone is someone we have worked with for many years, across several firms of solicitors. His calm and friendly manner has been hugely appreciated on many cases over the years, and his wealth of knowledge is second to none’.
‘Working on a day-to-day basis with Marianne Griffin has proved to be very rewarding, and we very much appreciate their knowledge and skills.’
‘Frank Johnstone is a first-rate professional with great industry knowledge honed from years of experience.’
‘They have a great team, are very approachable at all times and over the years have not only shown their exceptional legal knowledge but have taken the time to understand our business and how we operate.’
Scottish Water Business Stream Limited t/a Business Stream
PRA Group (UK) Ltd
Toyota Financial Services (UK) Plc
FCA Automotive Services UK Limited
Merligen investments Limited
- Successfully re-appointed to the Scottish litigation panel of Scottish Water Business Stream Limited for a period of three years from February 2022 with an option to extend the contract for a further two periods of 12 months each.
- Newly appointed to the legal panel of a multinational corporation that provides business and commercial financing services to small and medium-sized enterprises, offering invoice finance, business funding, factoring, bad debt protection, confidential factoring, invoice discounting, export factoring, trade finance, lease finance and related services.
- Acting for Toyota Financial Services UK plc on their debt recovery work.
Now under the leadership of Nicola Ross in Glasgow, the practice at Morton Fraser acts for plc clients on unregulated and regulated debt recovery matters, with expertise in consumer finance and insolvency work. The team continues to be instructed by industry leaders including Lloyds Bank and retains its specialism in fraud, acting in the recovery of confiscated finances. A strong bench of associates complements the teams offering; Debbie Brogan advises clients on complex motor finance work and FCA-regulated work whilst Jennifer Andrew is active in debt litigation. Elsewhere, Maggie Moodie retired from the partnership and former practice head Bill Stark departed from the firm.
Other key lawyers:
Debbie Brogan; Jennifer Andrew
‘Nicola Ross, Jennifer Andrew and Debbie Brogan all provide diverse ranges of expert advice, which is valued by our firm.’
Bibby Group of Factors
Kinder Interiors Limited
Glasgow Credit Union
John G Russell (Transport) Limited
Moorgarth Property Investments Limited
Asset Alliance Leasing Ltd
Lloyds Bank Commercial Finance
Central Demolition Ltd
Marsh Finance Ltd
- Advising various asset finance companies, including Lloyds Bank Commercial Finance and Bibby Financial Services, on the impact of changes in Government legislation on their debt collection practices and options available to them.
- Acting for MI Vehicle Finance in the successful recovery of a Bentley Continental which was the subject of a hire agreement, including successfully opposing an appeal against judgement by the hirer.
- Acting for a construction company in the successful (and full) recovery of significant sums due from a company in circumstances where the debtor company was seeking to restructure their business to avoid payment.
At Shoosmiths, the debt recovery practice maintains its top-tier position in Scotland and is recognized for its broad offering across asset finance, corporate secured and unsecured lending, and invoice finance. Spearheaded by the ‘exceptional’ Andrew Foyle who handles debt recovery litigation and is active in regulated financial services matters, the group acts for major banks and debt purchases across the UK, as well as private clients. On the real estate finance side, Sheelagh Cooley is the main contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team’s knowledge and expertise in Scottish law is very impressive and reassuring.’
;Andrew Foyle is exceptional in terms of knowledge, experience and helpfulness.’
Alex M Adamson
Arrow Global Group
Bibby Financial Services Group
Cabot Credit Management Group
Calor Gas Limited
Close Brothers Asset Finance
Close Brothers Invoice Finance
Close Brothers Motor Finance
Creation Consumer Finance /BNP Paribas
Darcey Quigley & Co.
Davenham Asset Finance
DM Hall LLP
First Response Finance
Grafton Merchanting GB Ltd
Hays Specialist Recruitment
Hillhouse Quarry Group
Honda Finance Europe Ltd
HSBC Bank plc
Leaseplan UK Ltd
Leeds Building Society
McCarthy & Stone Resales Ltd
MKM Building Supplies
Onesavings Bank plc
PPL PRS Limited
Premium Credit Limited
Royal Bank of Scotland plc / Natwest Group
Santander UK plc
Scottish & Southern Energy / OVO Energy
Secure Trust Bank
Vetted Limited t/a Checkatrade
- Successfully acted for a financial services client in an appeal to the Inner House of the Court of Session which clarified the law relating to awards of expenses on an agent client basis and in particular the recoverability of success fees.
- Successfully acted for a manufacturer of industrial doors in a claim for payment of the price of the doors where the defence centred on whether the doors were of satisfactory quality at the time of delivery.
- Acting for a mortgage lender in a case pursuing a shortfall following the possession and sale of a property where the point at issue concerns the prescriptive (time bar) period applicable to such a shortfall.
Noted for being ‘dynamic, agile, and knowledgeable’, DWF’s debt recovery practice has a proven track record in acting for reputable financial sector players and is active across the real estate and utility sectors. Overseen by Ricky Cannon, the team has demonstrable strength advising on commercial, consumer, and statutory debt as well as exhibiting expertise in finance litigation. Naomi Pryde, who splits her time between Edinburgh and London, holds multinational corporates and private sector companies as key clients.
Ricky Cannon; Naomi Pryde ; John Perez; Jefferson Gledhill
‘DWF offer an excellent debt recovery service with a cost-effective approach making it much more economic to chase even small debts successfully.’
‘They are proactive and tenacious. They communicate very well with the client and are always conscious of client costs.’
‘DWF are a brilliant law firm to work with, they are exceptional at keeping you up to date with progress on matters and have managed some fantastic results for our client.’
‘DWF’s online portal is really user-friendly and allows ourselves and our clients to have real live time data on what is happening on a case.’
‘The team’s knowledge on the debt type we are working in, is second to none and they have provided lots of useful advice and guidance.’
‘Ricky Cannon is a fantastic character and very engaging, he has great industry knowledge and even though he is extremely busy as a partner of the firm, he is never too busy to take a call or have a meeting. He is open and honest.’
‘The DWF Scotland team are a dynamic, agile, knowledgeable and hardworking team who understand the complexities of the water industry and the challenges of our business.’
‘They keep abreast of changes to the market, highlighting anything which may have an impact to our business and providing recommendations thereon.’
Scottish Water Business Stream
Santander Consumer Finance
Barclays Partner Finance
Startline Motor Finance
Hyundai Capital UK Ltd
Specialist Motor Finance Limited
Shawbrook Bank Limited
NextGear Capital UK Limited
Aldermore Bank Plc
Arkle Finance Limited
PSA Finance UK Ltd
Sun Belt Rentals
The Royal Bank of Scotland
Park’s Motor Group
- Advising Santander Consumer (UK) Plc on comprehensive national recovery solution, and manage a multi-million pound debt portfolio in Scotland alone under a comprehensive delegated authority scheme.
- Advising Startline Motor Finance Finance on a comprehensive national recovery solution, and manage a multi-million pound debt portfolio in Scotland alone under a comprehensive delegated authority scheme.
- Successfully dealt with a number of high value and complex matters for Ashtead, and we receive regular debt recovery instructions to support their day-to-day business requirements.
Gilson Gray’s debt recovery practice is overseen by David Alexander who is ‘excellent’ according to peers, and works closely with its commercial litigation subgroup to handle high-volume instructions, pre-litigation matters and disputes. The team is active across the real estate, construction and automotive sectors, holding Mercedes-Benz Financial Services as a key client. Motor finance continues to be a feature in the workload. Also of note is Scott Runciman.
Other key lawyers:
‘David Alexander is very good, I have used him over the years at different firms and then reconnected a year or so ago and moved our work to his firm.’
‘All my dealings with the team have been first class, straight talking and straight forward.’
‘A lot of law firms especially of this size tend to try to baffle you with legal science and have a “we know best approach” .Gilson Gray are more collaborative and help look for a solution which work for all parties.’
‘David Alexander is outstanding and our main contact point. He knows the debt collection practice in Scotland like the back of his hand . He is our trustworthy source of knowledge.’
‘David Alexander is a down-to-earth, very approachable debt recovery partner who remains client focused at all times and has a proven track records of achieving positive results.’
‘Gilson Gray are extremely competent at debt recovery.’
‘They have helped us recover debts over a number of years. They take into consideration the circumstances of the tenant and approach every case individually.’
‘David Alexander – my go to specialist for collection in Scotland. Clear and pragmatic advice balanced with a commercial approach. I would not use anyone else.’
MGM Timber (Scotland) Limited
91BC Property Management Limited
Johnson Family and Property Law Limited
Debt Solve UK Limited
Shawbrook Bank Limited
French Duncan LLP
Aldmore Bank Plc
Vauxhall Finance Plc
Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited
- Acting for Grant Thornton UK LLP with regards to the recovery of several books of debts due to Companies to which their Insolvency Practitioners were appointed as liquidators or administrators.
- Advising Debt Solve UK Limited (a specialist recovery agency for Veterinary Practices) with regards to the recovery of all their Scottish Debt including pre-litigation advice and the raising of high-volume Court proceedings.
- Acting for Mercedes-Benz Financial Services UK Limited in relation to the recovery of debts due to them by defaulting customers residing in Scotland, including the recovery of vehicles leased to said customers and the recovery of outstanding sums due to them.
Spanning a presence over six locations in Scotland, Harper Macleod LLP has an enviable client roster made up of public sector clients and registered social landlords (RSLs). Now under the leadership of Andrew Hunter in Glasgow, the practice is regularly instructed by housing and property sector clients on actions for rent arrears, unpaid invoices and recovery of possessions. Tenancy issues also feature in the caseload. Accredited specialist Natalie Dissake’s practice advises public sector clients, with expertise in enforcement procedures; insolvency matters are handled by Eilidh Crawford.
Other key lawyers:
Natalie Dissake; Eilidh Crawford
‘As well as providing excellent debt recovery advice, we can approach for any sort of legal advice regarding our cases.’
‘They are unique in that they know our business and how we operate.’
‘I feel that if they did not know how a company operates they will make it their business to find out.’
‘Eilidh Crawford is very efficient, she always answers my calls and if it is an emergency she will go out of her way to get it sorted as soon as possible.’
‘We had problems getting payment from a French company we worked with and Eilidh Crawford was exceptional in that she sourced legal companies for us in France and advised us accordingly.’
‘Harper Macleod’s debt recovery practice and in particular solicitor Eilidh Crawford provide prompt, focussed and timely advice in relation to the matters they deal with on our behalf.’
‘The team are approachable and always available to discuss ongoing matters and where required the advice they offer is risk based and takes into consideration our general credit risk/recovery approach to the instructions.’
‘Their knowledge and ability to provide advice is a great strength and they are very patient when explaining certain actions.’
Link Group Limited
Sanctuary Scotland Housing Association
Scottish Borders Housing Association
Accountant in Bankruptcy
Forsyth of Denny Limited
John W Grant & Sons
Stirling Park LLP
Cairn Housing Association Limited
West of Scotland Housing Association
Irvine Housing Association
HSS Hire Services Limited
Richmond Plumbing & Heating Merchants Limited
Partick Works Limited
Complete Storage& Interiors Limited
Caledonia Housing Association
- Advising Poundland Limited in an action for payment in respect of a claim by a Scottish Liquidator claiming payment for services said to have been provided by a company (now in liquidation) to Poundland Limited.
- Advising Abbey Healthcare on potential liability issues in relation to pursuing a third party in respect of unpaid nursing home charges.
- Advising and appearing on behalf of the Accountant in Bankruptcy when a trustee appealed an AIB decision to disallow the charging of an outlay in a Protected Trust Deed.
MacRoberts LLP handles undefended volume litigation for a steady stream of clients operating in the construction and financial services sectors. Now jointly managed by Leon Breakey. and new managing director of Yuill & Kyle (a debt recovery subsidiary wholly owned by the firm) Denise Loney, the team advises lenders across property on litigation matters. Former co-head Stephen Cowan is now a consultant.
Leon Breakey; Denise Loney
Other key lawyers:
Cemex UK Operations Limited
Together Energy Limited
Flogas Britain Limited
John Brown Caterhire Limited
McGill Facilities Management Limited
Speirs Gumley Property Management Limited
Enhanced by the firm’s banking litigation group, the practice at TLT is instructed by major global banks and corporations on secured recoveries and mortgage-related matters across Scotland and the UK. John Paul Sheridan leads the group which features banking litigation expert Tom McEntegart and insolvency practitioner Alan Munro.
John Paul Sheridan
Other key lawyers:
Alun Munro; Tom McEntegert
‘I have worked with many legal firms but have to say TLT LLP are by far the best.’
‘The attention to detail is second to none, the level of knowledge across some many different products is staggering and the advice they provide is invaluable.’
‘The way the conduct themselves is very professional and they provide a tailored service.’
‘Whether it is training for staff members, briefings for management or a review of legal claims, nothing is ever to much and the way they conduct themselves along with the results is something we very much appreciate. We are very proud to have a strong relationship with TLT LLP.’
‘All the individuals at TLT are not only friendly, polite and professional, but they really do care and value our relationship.’
‘Having dealt with many legal firms across multiple business, TLT hold a strong bond with individuals no matter the size of the organisation or the volume of business you provide them, this is very different to other firms I have dealt with.’
‘They are recognised as specialist, so I have complete comfort in the advice we are provided.’
‘Good legal knowledge combined with a focus on the commercial realities of the matter ensuring that good money is not thrown after bad.’
Morag Finance Limited and Amber Homeloans Limited
Leading UK merchant banking group
Financial Services Provider
Property development and property management company
Addleshaw Goddard‘s debt recovery practice is jointly managed by litigators Lynsey Walker in Edinburgh and Alan Sinclair in Glasgow and sits within the team’s wider banking litigation group, handling instructions from major financial institutions and funds. The team also has a growing fintech disputes practice. Solicitor advocate Simon Catto leads the litigation group and focuses on high-value insolvency related matters for banks and company directors.
Lynsey Walker; Alan Sinclair
Other key lawyers:
‘The Team is experienced and very commercial- senior level advice from experienced solicitors not paralegals or junior lawyers.’
‘Simon Catto is a very experienced, knowledgeable and commercial solicitor-advocate.’
‘Simon Catto provided high-level commissarial advice and got the tactics spot on.’
‘In spite of potential weaknesses in my case, they successfully recovered the full debt plus interest and expenses.’
‘The other side caved completely on the back of their robust advice.’
‘Partners and associates are all open and approachable to your calls or emails. You feel like you’re dealing with old friends/colleagues any time you need to reach out to them.‘
Promontoria (Henrico) Limited
Clydesdale Bank plc / Virgin Money plc
Castle Water Limited
Natwest/Royal Bank of Scotland plc
Park Property Management
Paragon Housing Association
Close Invoice Finance Limited
Armada Asset Finance
Aberdeen City Council
Assetz SME Capital Limited
RBS Invoice Finance Limited
Siemens Financial Services Limited
Scottish Woodlands Limited
Grampian Housing Association Ltd
Promontoria (Chestnut) Limited
Link Housing Group
FRP Advisory LLP
Aldermore Bank plc
Linstone Housing Association Ltd
Miller Property Management
Abertay Housing Association
Scottish Police Credit Union
Tail O’The Bank Credit Union
Larkhill Properties Limited (commercial landlords)
Visionhold Limited (commercial landlords)
Hibernian Football Club
ORD Industrial & Commercial Supplies Limited
Recruitment Funding Solutions Limited
Bluestones One Installations Limited
- Acted for Cerberus in legal analysis of “promise” defences which have become popular in Scotland (& elsewhere) following the Carlyle v RBS decision in the UKSC.
- Instructed by Armada Asset Finance in relation to recovering shortfalls left outstanding on asset finance agreements, following redemption of security, and also in relation to recoveries under personal guarantees.
- Acted for Clydesdale Bank plc/Virgin Money plc in debt recovery services across both Scotland & England.
At Anderson Strathern, the debt recovery practice is jointly managed by Fiona Stephen in Edinburgh and Fraser Geddes in Glasgow, and acts for a broad range of public sector bodies, SMEs and financial service sector clients. The group has expertise in the property sector, litigating for both private and public sector clients as well as in debt recovery litigation. Litigator Gillian Jamieson is also a name to note.
Fiona Stephen; Fraser Geddes
Other key lawyers:
‘Gillian Jamieson ensured that there was a smooth transition when one of their team, who was one of our main points of contact, left. A sign that we are in safe hands, as there was not a break in the level of service provided.’
‘We have used Anderson Strathern for mainly litigation matters and found them to be very professional and diligent in their approach.’
Prime Secure Systems Ltd
Property Management Company (Aberdeen) Limited
Ross & Liddell Ltd
Hacking & Paterson Management Services
Firstport Property Services Scotland Ltd
- Appointed as the sole provider for debt recovery services by The City of Edinburgh Council.
- Acting for Hacking & Paterson Management Services in respect of unpaid fees for factoring services rendered.
- Acting for Stirling Park for a wide range of debt recovery matters in the event that their pre-legal attempts are not fruitful.
BTO Solicitors LLP
BTO Solicitors LLP is active in debt recovery litigation spanning the financial sector, credit insurance and insurance recoveries, with regular instructions from SMEs, financial institutions and property managers. Practice head Grant Hunter is based in Glasgow and manages the team which features the dual-qualified Angus Wood, who handles insolvency matters, and senior associate Kirsteen Maclean. Consultant and social housing litigator Stephen Humphreys has now retired.
Other key lawyers:
Angus Wood; Kirsteen Maclean
‘Kirsteen MacLean and Grant Hunter have been excellent with us over the years.’
‘They have always been approachable and friendly and have a no jargon, hands-on approach to litigation for our clients.’
‘They explain each part of the process in full and always outline the costs to us so our clients don’t get a shock with a large bill they were not expecting.’
‘We have always found them to be upfront, trustworthy, honest and reliable.’
‘Their communication once they have taken a case on board has been superb and second to none compared to other firms we have used in the past.’
‘The firm continues to provide a good level of service despite a change in key personnel within the team who manage the work for us.’
‘A good level of experience is held and often cases are dealt with promptly where there is an urgent need.’
‘Very approachable and able to sort things out quickly and professionally.’
American Express Services (Europe) Limited
Coface UK Limited
Lloyds Banking Group
Barchester Care Homes Limited
RMG Scotland Limited
First Bus Group (Transportation Claims Limited)
Robert Jones Glasgow Limited
Stena Line Ports Limited
James Gibb Property Management Limited
Scott and Co
United Wholesale (Scotland) Limited
Debt Collect UK Limited
Scottish Football Association (Scottish FA)
Link Group (Link Housing)
Coyle Personnel Limited
FedEx Express UK Limited (agency)
Puma UK (agency)
Volvo Group (UK) Limited (agency)
Apex Resources Limited
- Handling all credit card debt recovery litigation in Scotland for American Express Services Europe Limited.
- Sole appointed Scottish solicitors for Coface UK and handle all their commercial debt recovery litigation in this jurisdiction.
- Sole legal advisers to James Gibb Property Management Ltd, who manage over 45,000 properties all over Scotland and take a very proactive approach to their debt management.
Shepherd and Wedderburn
Shepherd and Wedderburn has an ‘excellent’ practice and receives a steady stream of high-volume recovery instructions from leading financial services companies and has seen an increase in property investment companies and funds on asset recovery work. The team is able to leverage its insolvency and restructuring group to advise investors and banks, as well as handle financial litigation. Elaine Brailsford leads the department which features ‘first-class‘ senior associate Gina Johnston.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent in-depth knowledge and clear advice and positive solutions.’
‘Strong asset finance knowledge.’
‘Practical and commercial approach.’
‘Gina Johnston continues to deliver an excellent quality service.’
‘Gina Johnston was first class. She has a great understanding of what was required and dealt with the case in a very professional manner. I cannot recommend her highly enough.’
Ernst and Young (EY)
KPMG (UK and Ireland)
UKAR UK Asset Resolution Ltd – covering NRAM Limited and Mortgage Express
Close Brothers Ltd
Mole Valley Farmers Limited
Mole Valley Feed Solutions Limited
Macdonald Resorts Ltd
Paragon Mortgages Ltd
Edinburgh Alternative Finance Ltd, trading as LendingCrowd
- Acting for Macdonald Resorts Limited on bulk debt collection of management charges where the debt is contested by members who have joined action groups and/or have instructed claims companies to act for them.
- Advising on cross-jurisdictional debt recovery services for our client; Mole Valley who specialises in providing goods and services to the agricultural industry, a relatively small and tight-knit community.