Brodies LLP is a pre-eminent firm in the Scottish corporate tax market, fielding a deep bench of tax specialists across a broad range of areas including funds, real estate transactions, and other bespoke tax arrangements such as employee share incentives. The team is led from Edinburgh by Isobel D’Inverno, she is vastly experienced in property taxation and regularly advises real estate clients on a wide spectrum of transactions including inward investment structures, student accommodation and corporate real estate projects. Alan Barr has an impressive reputation in relation to personal and business tax issues, while Karen Davidson is a specialist in employment-related tax issues.
Corporate tax in Scotland
Other key lawyers:
Alan Barr; Karen Davidson
‘Expert knowledge and resources to provide answers to complex questions.’
‘Karen Davidson displays the requisite technical expertise as well as a strong sense of commercial awareness.’
‘Great team with lots of experience and a commercial outlook.’
‘Pragmatic and commercially focused advice, targeted at maximising value and managing risk.’
‘Karen Davidson draws on her broad experience from all industries to tailor her advice to a specific business context or deal.’
‘Brodies’ work is of an extremely high standard. Obviously, they advise on the legal aspects of any particular matter, but they are also extremely commercial in their approach and take time to understand a business, their challenges and think of ways to overcome them (from a legal and tax perspective).’
‘With Brodies breadth of services, they are able to provide a comprehensive service to a company covering contract, employment and company law.’
‘Karen Davidson is a key point of contact for all taxation matters, covering corporation tax and employee share plans. Karen always provides an excellent service.’
TPG Europe LLP
BAE Pension Trustees
- Acting for the shareholders of Balhousie Holdings Limited on the tax aspects of its sale to AcalisCare.
- Advised Custodian REIT plc on the tax aspects of the hive up of the business and assets of Drum Income Plus REIT plc (DRIP REIT).
- Advising Gresham House on the UK and cross-border tax aspects of the formation of an Irish Forestry Fund.
One of Scotland’s leading firms in the corporate tax space, Burness Paull LLP is renowned amongst major domestic and international clients for its ability to handle complex tax mandates across the spectrum of areas including employment, PE and management incentives, real estate, renewables, and owner managed businesses. Ronnie Brown Leads the team from Glasgow and maintains a strong reputation in the market, recently advising on the tax aspects of major private equity transactions and real estate projects. The team was significantly bolstered by the addition of Christine Yuill from Pinsent Masons LLP in November 2022; she is highly experienced regarding acquisitions, property, and employment tax advice. Director Nicola Williams is a key contact, especially related to tax aspects of PE and M&A transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Christine Yuill; Nicola Williams
‘Christine Yuill is very user-friendly and down-to-earth.’
‘One factor which makes Christine Yuill stand out is that she can provide both tax advice and employee share plans advice which means she can handle everything rather than needing to seek advice from two specialists.’
‘Their Glasgow-based corporate tax lawyers are very practical and responsive.’
‘Christine Yuill is a stand out. She manages to strike the perfect balance between technical and commercial. She is extremely knowledgeable about tax legislation and share plan rules, and can explain and apply them in a straight up and understandable way.’
‘Christine Yuill does not send essays that are unhelpful like some other tax lawyers. Christine is always quick to respond and progress queries, and appears to work seamlessly under pressure, as the service levels are always high.
‘Partner Christine Yuill has a perfect blend of technical expertise and market knowledge, which is brought to the next level by her practical application, down-to-earth support and charming attitude.’
‘The team is great and has recently been enhanced. Christine Yuill’s knowledge of share schemes and corporate tax in general is a differentiator.’
‘Christine Yuill is very knowledgeable but more importantly is very client-friendly in her engagement.’
The Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Limited
Access UK Ltd
Harris Family Trust
Brookfield Renewable UK Limited (“BRUK”)
David Lloyd Leisure
- Advised on the corporate tax structuring in the acquisition of The Inn Collection Group by the Harris Family Trusts.
- Advised Heimstaden Bostad on the tax and legal aspects of one of the biggest build-to-rent developments of the year in Scotland.
- Advised Access UK Ltd on the tax and legal aspects of the acquisitions of Rotaready Limited, Paycircle Limited, ProspectSoft, Caboodle Technology and adamHTT.
Leveraging its international presence and tax practice to advise on complex cross-border mandates, Dentons' corporate tax team in Scotland offers specialist skills across the gamut of areas including real estate, planning for high-net-worth individuals, VAT, financial services, and warranties and indemnities for M&A transactions. Lorna McCaa leads the team from Glasgow, having built a stellar reputation across numerous key sectors, from food and drink and retail to technology and real estate. Gwen Souter is a key contact and a trusted tax advisor to major stock exchange listed companies, privately held businesses and multinational corporates.
Other key lawyers:
The PRS REIT plc
M&G Real Estate (various funds)
The Edrington Group Limited
Hurricane Energy plc
Scottish Equity Partners LLP
Bute Island Foods Limited
Stagecoach Bus Holdings Limited
John Lewis Partnership
The shareholders of Roslin Cell Therapies Limited
- Advising Roslin Cell Therapies Limited and the shareholders of RoslinCT on a very competitive auction sale to Dolly Bidco Limited, funded by private equity investor GHO Capital Partners.
- Advising HM Government, Department of BEIS on its Future System Operator project.
- Advising Blofeld Investment Management on its successful joint Takeover Code bid with AlGihaz Holding Company to acquire Main Market listed Lamprell plc for £165m.
Boasting a roster of major clients from both the public and private sector, the tax group at MacRoberts LLP has a solid reputation for transactional advice regarding the provision of land and buildings and property-related VAT, as well as a recent increasing trend in the amount of management buy-out and employee ownership trusts work. Ainsley MacLaren leads the team from Edinburgh and is dual-qualified as a chartered tax adviser; she is highly experienced on a wide range of direct and indirect tax issues.
Breedon Aggregates plc
Broadland Properties Limited
Bakkafrost Scotland Limited (previously Scottish Salmon Company)
Parkburn Precision Handling Systems Limited
Peoples Postcode Trust
Scottish Canals (British Waterways Board)
Student Loans Company
Sheet Anchor Investments Limited
Wm Morrison Supermarkets plc
Scotpharm (MNA) Limited (Dears Healthcare Group)
- Acted for the majority shareholder of Sumdog Limited in relation to the sale of the company to a Swedish competitor. From the tax perspective, advising on the transactional tax documentation, together with specific confidential drafting issues relating to tax matters, also dealing with the exercise of share options prior to the sale and related tax issues.
- Assisted A & L Goodbody Northern Ireland in relation to tax warranties and tax indemnities given to Synova plc on its acquisition of a majority stake in 3173 group, as well as providing advice on an employment related securities issues the purchaser had raised following completion of its due diligence process.
- Acted on behalf of the shareholders of Instinctive Business Intelligence Limited (IBI) in respect of the sale of the entire issued share capital of the company to Version 1 Solutions Limited.
Shepherd and Wedderburn
Shepherd and Wedderburn maintains its reputable corporate tax practice, advising clients on tax-related matters across a broad range of areas encompassing M&A transactions, land deals, share schemes, and fund matters. Practice head Stephen Miller brings more than two decades of corporate and personal tax experience, offering particular expertise in the tax aspects of corporate acquisitions, disposals and restructurings. Douglas Sinclair is a key contact, regularly handling a steady stream of high-value corporate and real estate tax matters.
Other key lawyers:
Bigblu Broadband PLC
Cairn Energy plc
Taylor Wimpey UK Limited
Miller Homes Limited
British Land PLC