Brodies LLP’s specialist corporate tax team provides tailored advice to clients throughout the Scottish market. The team acts for high-net-worth individuals and family businesses, and is particularly experienced in real estate transaction tax structuring and high-value corporate transactions, often with an international aspect. Isobel D’Inverno heads the practice and is well known in the market for her extensive knowledge of land and buildings transaction tax (LBTT) and stamp duty land tax (SDLT). Alan Barr is recommended for business and personal tax matters, and senior associate Heather Gibson handles the tax aspects of M&A transactions.
Corporate tax in Scotland
Other key lawyers:
Heather Gibson; Bob Langridge; Alan Barr; Karen Davidson; Heather Thompson
‘Approachable, pragmatic and commercial team.’
‘They cover a broad range of tax work and have strength in depth.’
‘Helpful attitude and commercial approach.’
‘Approachable, pragmatic and commercial individuals.’
‘Bob Langridge is excellent. He is technically very good but manages to convey quite complex issues in a clear and succinct manner. We have complete confidence in them and would always recommend them for any more complex tax issues.’
‘Positive approach and timely advice – Isobel d’Inverno is very helpful.’
Drum Property Group
Apache Capital Partners
Borr Drilling Group
DC Thomson & Co Ltd
Knight Frank Investment Management Limited
Soller Real Estate
- Advised a Korean real estate fund on the acquisition through a Jersey Property Unit Trust structure of the Jersey based company owning the Amazon fulfilment facility at Dunfermline, Fife.
- Advised Gresham House plc on the structuring and set up of a fund (with initial investment of c. £105m) to invest in the New Zealand emissions trading scheme.
- Advised the shareholders of ECS Digital Limited, ECS Europe Limited and ECS Global Ltd on the tax aspects of the disposal of the ECS group of companies to GlobalLogic Inc, providing both tax and share incentives advice across a group of circa 70 shareholders.
As part of the wider firm’s UK practice, Dentons‘ Scottish tax team handles high-profile tax matters in Scotland and internationally. It is well placed to handle cross-border advisory and transactional work, and advises on tax issues concerning employees working remotely overseas. Glasgow’s Gwen Souter is a chartered accountant, who heads the team alongside the London-based Alex Thomas. Lorna McCaa is a member of the Tax Committee of the Law Society of Scotland and the Property Tax Committee of the Scottish Property Federation, and has considerable experience in handling the tax aspects of real estate and corporate transactions. Roddy Harrison left for Wright, Johnston & Mackenzie LLP in January 2021.
Gwen Souter; Alex Thomas
Other key lawyers:
Lorna McCaa; Alastair MacLeod
‘The team is made up of high quality people, with a good knowledge of business’.
‘Although it is a large firm, the relationship felt personal’.
‘Very approachable, responsive, friendly and confidence-inspiring’.
‘Lorna McCaa handled complicated tax matters but was patient and helpful in managing the situation with company directors in offering solutions, explanations and resolutions of issues arising’.
M&G Real Estate (various funds)
The PRS REIT plc
The Edrington Group Limited
Hansa Trust plc
Hurricane Energy plc
Scottish Equity Partners LLP
The Valence Group
J Sainsbury plc
John Lewis Partnership
Charles Ritchie’s Testamentary Trust
- Acted for Charles Ritchie’s Testamentary Trust as 96% shareholder and principal vendor of the entire issued share capital of Score Group plc.
- Advised DB Financial Investment Co. Ltd on the acquisition of 1-3 Lochside Crescent, Edinburgh, an office complex that acts as Aegon’s UK headquarters for South Korean investors.
- Instructed by Murray Income Trust plc in relation to its combination with Perpetual Income & Growth Investment Trust plc (PLI).
The tax team at Burness Paull LLP offers a broad range of expertise, with corporate finance-related tax matters, and private equity and management incentives being key areas of focus. The team also handles real estate-related tax matters across all asset classes, including LBTT and SDLT. It often acts for family and owner-managed businesses (OMBs) on employment tax issues, and also caters to the personal tax matters of individuals. Head of practice Ronnie Brown often advises London firms and is well versed in transactional tax matters. Claire Macpherson was promoted to partner at the start of 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Gary Chapman; John Finnick; Robert Burns
‘Ronnie Brown is approachable and able to describe difficult tax matters well’.
‘Responsive and commercially focused’.
‘I have built up an excellent relationship with Ronnie Brown, one of their senior partners, over the last 25 years; his team is very good’.
Management of Total Mobile Limited
Management of Connexas
Murgitroyd Group PLC
London & Scottish Investments
i3 Energy plc
Scottish Power PLC
Sword Charteris Limited
- Advised Cemex in connection with Scottish tax issues involved in the sale of Cemex’s Scottish assets to Breedon Group for £178m.
- Advised the managers of Learning Curve Group Ltd in connection with the buyout of LCG from their PE sponsor, MML Capital, by Agilitas, a pan-European mid-market private equity firm.
- Acted for Wernick Power Solutions Limited in the acquisition of Power-Rite (UK) Limited, a specialist generator rental and maintenance provider.
The dedicated corporate tax practice at MacRoberts LLP is led by chartered tax adviser Ainsley MacLaren, who has over 25 years’ experience in the industry and sits on the Law Society of Scotland’s Tax Sub-Committee and the Tax Committee of the Scottish Property Federation. Areas of focus include M&A-related tax, VAT and SDLT/LBTT around property transactions, and tax planning advice for shareholders.
Brookfield Renewables (UK) Limited
Breedon Aggregates plc
Chivas Brothers (Pernod Ricard group)
Renaissance Care (Scotland) Limited
Robertson Property Limited and Live Nation Entertainment
Tillicoultry Quarries Limited
Together Energy Limited
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC
- Advising on the land transaction tax aspects of a bid by Robertson Property Limited and Live Nation Entertainment Inc to develop and operate a new 15,000 seater indoor arena at Atlantic Wharf, Cardiff in conjunction with Cardiff City Council at a cost of approximately £150m.
- Advised Breedon Group plc on the provision of land and buildings transaction tax advice in relation to the Scottish properties acquired as part of the acquisition of the assets and operations from CEMEX UK Operations Limited.
- Advised the shareholders of AGL Wealth Management Ltd on the provision of transaction tax advice to the shareholders of AGL Wealth Management Ltd on the sale of the entire issued share capital to IWP Newco 1 Limited, a subsidiary of Independent Wealth Planners UK Limited (IWP).
Shepherd and Wedderburn
Shepherd and Wedderburn is well regarded for its knowledge of LBTT and SDLT, and also VAT planning. Other areas of expertise include corporate transaction tax, bespoke tax for individuals, and specialist tax advice for individual shareholders, including entrepreneurs’ relief from capital gains tax and income tax planning. The team is co-headed by Rodger Cairns and Stephen Miller, who is a chartered tax adviser with expertise in tax aspects of corporate acquisitions, disposals and restructuring, and real estate and property development.
Stephen Miller; Rodger Cairns
Other key lawyers:
‘They are very knowledgeable and can cut through complexity to provide solid legal advice’.
Epic Games Inc
Bigblu Broadband PLC
Cairn Energy plc
Taylor Wimpey UK Limited
Miller Homes Limited
British Land PLC
- Advised Epic Games on the tax aspects of its acquisitions of Cubic Motion and SuperAwesome.
- Advised Cairn Energy PLC on the tax aspects of the sale of an interest in offshore Senegal oil fields to LUKOIL Upstream Senegal B.V.
- Advised AIM-listed Bigblu Broadband PLC on the tax aspects of the sale of its European and UK satellite broadband business to Eutelsat SA.
DWF’s Scottish tax offering sits within the wider UK team and services a wide range of clients, from SMEs to blue chip companies. The Scottish team is working increasingly closely with its counterparts in Europe to cater to post-Brexit tax issues. It handles M&A and private equity-related tax matters and is headed up by Jon Stevens in Birmingham. Caroline Colliston is the key name in Scotland.
Other key lawyers:
Element Materials Technology Group Limited
Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc
Lunar JV Finance (Apollo Asset Management Group)
Marks & Spencer plc
Mowi Scotland Limited (formerly Marine Harvest)
Custodian REIT plc
Mattioli Woods plc
Zonal Retail Data Systems
Grahams the Family Dairy
Aliter Capital LLP
Cirrus Response Group Limited
Ambassador LB Holdings Limited
Ipsum Group Limited
Edwin James Group Limited
Swan Group plc
Glennon Brothers Timber Limited
Sterling Furniture Group
Martley NAH Limited
- Providing share scheme and tax advice in relation to the exercise of options in relation to the sale of stock imagery specialist, Alamy to PA Media Group for an undisclosed sum in February 2020.
- Providing tax transactional support in acting for Element on its acquisition of EnviroDat Limited (an industry leading UKAS and MCERTS accredited environmental testing provider).
- Providing specialist Scottish land transaction tax advice to a wide range of real estate clients including Marks & Spencer, Costa, WH Smith, BT plc and others.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP acts for FTSE 100 companies, institutional investors, entrepreneurs and government bodies on a broad range of corporate tax matters. The Glasgow-based Christine Yuill is the key name in Scotland; has considerable experience in the tax aspects of M&A, joint ventures, reorganisations and property tax issues, such as VAT, SDLT and LBTT.
‘Repeated high quality advice’.
‘The Pinsents team get to the answer quickly and provide the right level of detail to allow you to get on with your business without wading through lots of legal jargon’.
‘Christine Yuill has an impressive blend of traditional corporate knowledge and specialist tax knowledge’.
‘Everyone was always friendly and clear and I received responses in a good time frame’.
‘Christine Yuill brings her experience to the table each time, highlighting and addressing potential issues and factors you didn’t know were even there’.
‘Christine Yuill was great at assessing the needs prior to quoting for the work and was happy to provide further explanation of clauses’.
Total E&P Limited
Zenobe Energy Limited
iomart Group plc
Railway Pensions Investment Limited
Beeks Financial Cloud Group plc
Red Rock Power Limited
Resonance British Wind Energy Income II
M Group Services Limited
Induction Healthcare Group Plc
Online Education Services Pty Ltd
Jersey Oil & Gas plc
Piper Private Equity
Nevis Capital LLP
- Provided tax structuring advice to Zenobe Energy Limited on a £150m investment from an acquisition vehicle established by Infracapital Funds.
- Advised oil super major Total on its disposal of UK North Sea non-core assets to a subsidiary of NEO Energy, a vehicle backed by Norway-based private equity investor HitecVision.
- Provided tax structuring and share incentives advice to Piper Private Equity on its £11.5m investment in to Wattbike, the indoor exercise bike brand.