Commercial, corporate and M&A in Saudi Arabia
Legal Advisors, Abdulaziz I. Al-Ajlan & Partners in association with Baker & McKenzie Limited is a stand-out name for transactions, particularly those in the TMT, retail, FMCG, healthcare, defence, energy and natural resources, and infrastructure sectors. Co-managing partner George Sayen leads the team and is an expert in M&A, joint ventures and commercial contracts. Other key members from the Riyadh office include Karim Nassar, who handles M&A and capital market transactions; Zahi Younes, who is strong in cross-border M&A; and David A. Monnier, who specialises in M&A and competition. Omar J. Iqbal, who is a key name for private equity deals, and Dubai-based Mohammad Al Rasheed, who regularly advises on IPOs, are other names to note.
Al Tala’a International Transportation Co. Limited
Saudi Binladin Group Company Limited
Al Faisaliah Group
Mohammed I. Alsubeaei & Sons Investment Company
- Advised Saudi Arabian-listed bank Alawwal bank on its merger with fellow Saudi-listed bank, Sabb.
- Assisting Al Tala’a International Transportation Co. Limited with its sale of the entire issued share capital of Byrne Equipment Rental LLC to Itqan Investments and Tamar VPower Energy Fund and CITIC, valued at approximately AED1bn.
- Acting for Al Safi Holding on the sale of its shares in Al Safi Danone Company to Saudi Arabia’s National Agricultural Development Co.
Abuhimed Alsheikh Alhagbani Law Firm (AS&H) in co-operation with Clifford Chance
Abuhimed Alsheikh Alhagbani Law Firm (AS&H) in co-operation with Clifford Chance handles the spectrum of corporate work and acts for a number of blue-chip companies. Majid Al-Sheikh leads the team and is regularly instructed on complex M&A deals. Capital markets and M&A expert Mansoor Alhagbani is another notable name, as is senior partner Khalid Al-Abdulkareem, who is particularly skilled in handling privatisations. The team has utilised its Clifford Chance association with the secondment of M&A specialist Omar Rashid and Daniel Royle, who focuses on privatisations.
Public Investment Fund
Saudi British Bank
Sahara Petrochemicals Company
National Commercial Bank
- Advised the Public Investment Fund on the sale of its 70% stake in Sabic.
- Assisted Bawan with its acquisition of 100% of the share capital of Arnon Plastic Industries Company.
- Acted for United Eastern Medical Services, a UAE-based integrated healthcare group, on its acquisition of a 30% stake in Al-Muhaidib Dental Group.
Clyde & Co LLP
Clyde & Co LLP is particularly prominent in the insurance, marine, construction, TMT, healthcare, education and financial services sectors, among others. Abdulaziz Al-Bosaily leads the practice and is able to draw on his previous role as former general counsel of the Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority in handling public sector deals. His transactional experience covers capital markets, M&A, joint ventures and foreign direct investments. Alain Sfeir has a similar skill set but is also very active in corporate restructurings. Glenn Lovell focuses on corporate structuring as well as general corporate and commercial matters.
XEROX Investments Europe B.V.
Saudi Tabreed District Cooling Company
AES Arabia Limited
Air Liquide Middle East & North Africa
Accenture Legal Group
Arabian Company For Business Support Services
British American Tobacco
- Advising the shareholders of AES Arabia Limited, a Saudi water and wastewater treatment services company, on the sale of the share capital in the company to Al Babtain Contracting Company and Al Babtain Holding Investment Company.
- Assisted DuPont with the Saudi elements of its global sale of DuPont Sustainable Solutions to a third party private equity investment fund.
- Advising Genesys on the implementation of its global acquisition of Interactive Intelligence and the restructuring of its business and presence in Saudi by converting its Branch into an LLC and implementing the global acquisition to the Saudi entity.
Khoshaim & Associates in cooperation with Allen & Overy LLP is a go-to firm for Saudi Aramco and other public bodies for big-ticket mandates. Managing partner Zeyad Khoshaim leads the practice and has extensive experience in advising on M&A, joint ventures and corporate restructuring. He is supported by senior associate Leen Zaza, whose expertise has considerable overlap with Khosaim's. The team advised on the landmark merger between Saudi International Petrochemical Co (Sipchem) and Sahara Petrochemical, which was structured as a total share swap. Other high-profile work included advising AMC Cinemas on the historic opening of Saudi Arabia's first cinema chain.
Other key lawyers:
Ministry of Finance Y
Public Investment Fund
Emaar, Economic City
International Maritime Industries
Ministry of Economy and Planning
Community Development Company
- Advising Saudi Aramco, as a purchaser, on its acquisition of Ta’shelat Marketing Company (the entity owning and operating the chain of Sahel and Sahel Mart fuel and service stations) and Sahel Transportation Company (a fuel transportation company).
- Assisting Saudi Aramco with respect to the setup of a joint venture with Total relating to the ownership and operation of gasoline retail stations.
- Advised Acwa Power, a leading developer, owner, and operator of power generation and water desalination plants, on the acquisition of a majority stake in it by PIF.
King & Spalding in affiliation with the Law Office of Mohammad Al-Ammar acts on a steady stream of big-ticket deals and stands out for its work handling venture capital and private equity transactions where Saudi Aramco Investment Management Company (Saimco) is a key client. The team recently acted for Saimco on its 50% equity interest purchase in a residential compound project worth $320m. The oil and gas sector is a core focus and Jawad Ali, Simon Rahimzada and Mohammed Al-Ammar advised Dalma Energy on its combination agreement with KCA Deutag worth $2.6bn. James R. Stull has notable expertise in the healthcare sector, while the technology industry is a core area of focus for Osama Audi. Also noted is Nabil Issa, who focuses on Shari'ah-compliant funds, joint ventures and private equity transactions. All lawyers are based in the UAE except for Al-Ammar, who is based in Riyadh, and Issa, who splits his time between the Riyadh and Dubai offices.
Saudi Aramco Investment Management Company (SAIMCO)
Gulf Investment Corporation
Islamic Development Bank
The National Shipping Companyof Saudi Arabia
Delivery Hero Holding GMBH
Gulf Capital PJSC
Jabal Omar DevelopmentCompany
Arabian Company for Waterand Power Development
Small and Medium EnterprisesAuthority (SME Authority)
MASIC (Mohamed I. AlSubaei &Sons Investment Company)
- Advising BlueApple Healthcare Services on a joint venture with Tomouh, a UAE developer, and Fresenius Vamed, an Austrian healthcare and hospital operator, to develop and operate a rehabilitation hospital.
- Advised Alarabi Investments Company on becoming a shareholder in EdTech company, Coded Minds Limited, through a $2.7m investment.
- Assisted Al Ahsa with the acquisition of the entire share capital of Al-Salam Medical Services Company.
Law Office of Mohanned bin Saud Al-Rasheed in association with Baker Botts L.L.P.
Law Office of Mohanned bin Saud Al-Rasheed in association with Baker Botts L.L.P. advises international and domestic clients on major corporate and M&A mandates. Stephen Matthews leads the practice and splits his time between the firm's Dubai and Riyadh offices. He works across multiple areas but is perhaps best known for his work in the defence sector. Shadi Haroon is another key figure and advises on M&A and IPOs. Also recommended is Euan Pinkerton, who is particularly strong in the energy and natural resources sectors.
Mott MacDonald International
ThyssenKrupp Elevator Saudi Arabia
Marsh Saudi Arabia for Insurance and Reinsurance Brokerage
- Advised Jazadco on a joint venture to finance, construct and operate a biodiesel refinery in King Abdullah Economic City in the Western Province of Saudi Arabia.
- Advising Mott MacDonald International on the establishment of a 100% foreign-owned engineering consultancy in Saudi Arabia.
- Assisting Saudi Arabian Commercial Bank with the $270m purchase of shares from two of its overseas-based shareholders.
Hatem Abbas Ghazzawi & Co. is one of the region's strongest independent law firms, and as a result, is regularly instructed by international firms without a Saudi affiliate to act as local counsel. Testament to this was the firm's advice, as local counsel alongside Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, to Swiss company ABB on the formation of a joint venture with Canadian Engineering company SNC-Lavin concerning power construction projects. Key names include Andreas Haberbeck, who works on transactions and restructurings; Asad Abedi, who focuses on M&A and securities law; and Ali Abedi, who is an expert in joint ventures.
F. Hoffman La Roche AG
Rabigh Arabian Water & Electricity Company
- Advised F. Hoffman La-Roche AG on the restructuring of its Saudi Arabian distribution operations, which included the licensing and setting up of a wholly foreign-owned trading company in Saudi Arabia
- Advised Rabigh Arabian Water & Electricity Company on Marubeni’s exit from its shareholding.
- Assisting Software AG with the restructuring of its Saudi Arabian operations and its Saudi Arabian subsidiary.
Law Office of Salman M. Al-Sudairi in association with Latham & Watkins LLP
Law Office of Salman M. Al-Sudairi in association with Latham & Watkins LLP acts for a number of high-profile domestic companies on M&A and venture capital transactions. In recent work, Salman Al-Sudairi advised Riyad Bank on its merger with the National Commercial Bank and Omar M. Elsayed assisted Batic Investments and Logistics with a number of acquisitions as part of its capital increase strategy. Dubai-based counsel Eyad Latif acted for Saudi Technology Ventures on the venture capital financing of the cloud communications start-up Unifonic.
Saudi British Bank
Banque Saudi Fransi
Saudi Aviation Authority
Maharah Human Resources Company
Saudi Technology Ventures
- Advising Riyad Bank on its merger with the National Commercial Bank.
- Acting for Air Products on the proposed acquisition by a consortium comprising Air Products, Acwa Power and Saudi Aramco of $8bn in gasification assets located in Jazan Economic City, Saudi Arabia.
- Advising HSBC on a merger between two petrochemical companies in Saudi Arabia.
The Law Firm of Salah Al-Hejailan in association with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
The Law Office of Megren M. Al-Shaalan in cooperation with White & Case has a strong track record in advising on M&A and joint venture deals, acting for both domestic and international clients. Dubai-based Sami E. Al-Louzi is a key figure and advises on cross-border M&A, private equity and privatisations. Of counsel James Rimmer, who has a strong focus on private equity transactions, is also noted.
Al Tamimi & Company's corporate team has been strengthened by the relocation of Nick O’Connell in 2018 from the firm's Dubai office and he enhances the firm's capabilities in the Saudi technology sector. Grahame Nelson is another name of note and focuses on energy and natural resources, financial services, and privatisations. Jeddah-based Rakesh Bassi is heavily involved in matters relating to the sports sector. Babul Parikh and Jonathan Reardon left the firm.
Saudi Payments Company
Saline Water Conversion Corporation
Saudi Aramco Shell Refinery
Saudi Pro League
Al Hilal Football Club
The Energy House Holding Company
- Advised Aster DM Healthcare on its share offering to investors in India and to US-based qualified institutional buyers.
- Assisted Health Matrix with the sale of its Datix software business segment in Saudi Arabia to Datix Holdings.
- Advised Al Hilal on all aspects of the negotiations linked to the transfer of high-profile professional football coaches and players to the club.
With offices in Riyadh, Dubai and Beirut, Al-Enezee Legal Counsel in association with EKP is able to advise on cross-border matters across the region. Managing partner Ziad El-Khoury and Wissam Hassem lead the practice and together advised Walaa Cooperative Insurance Company ion its merger with Metlife AIG ANB and assisted Arkan Business Group with its joint venture with regional media and advertising company, Its.
‘Always available and ready to help and their assistance is so personalised and customised to the client’s need.’
‘The team’s regional experience positions them ahead of their client’s needs yet at the same time accessible to a wider network to give them a further reach.’
Walaa Cooperative Insurance Company
Gulf Union Cooperative Insurance Company
Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
Al Wasail Industrial Company
SANY Automobile Hoisting Machinery Co Ltd
Arkan Business Group
Middle East Financial Investment Company
Saudi Mechanical Industries Companies
Sinopec – Branch of Sinopec International
Petroleum Service Corporation
Geberit International Sales AG
Beauty Circles Co. LTD
Golden Brown Company
Integrated Telecom Company
Keir International Company Limited
Micro Focus International
Al Blagha Holding Group
Beijing Dacheng Law Offices LLP
Azadea Company Ltd
Chedid & Associates Saudi Arabia Insurance Brokerage Limited
- Advising Crédit Agricole on taking security in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in respect of facilities of $6bn extended to the McDermott Technology group of companies.
- Assisting Al Wasail Industrial Company with preparing for and executing a public offering of part of its shares.
- Advising Mefic on the acquisition of a group of healthcare companies in Saudi Arabia.
DLA Piper in collaboration with Amer Al Amr Law Firm has a very strong regional presence with offices in RIyadh, Jeddah and Al-Khobar, and it also frequently works alongside DLA Piper Middle East LLP's Dubai office. The corporate team is headed by Will Seivewright, who is based in Dubai and was a recent arrival from Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla. He has a strong track record in both public and private cross-border M&A. Other key members of the team include Riyadh-based Paul Latto, who is experienced in M&A, restructurings and general corporate matters; and Jeddah-based legal director Basma Khashogg, who is skilled in M&A, divestments and joint ventures.
Saudi Aramco Shell Refinery Company
Saudi Telecoms Company
Saudi Arabian Industrial Investments Company
- Advising Saudi Telecom Company on its $1.8bn purchase of the exclusive worldwide broadcast rights for the Saudi Professional League and other matches, and associated marketing rights.
- Acting for a global EPC company on the establishment of a joint venture engineering company with a prominent local Saudi Arabian construction and engineering company.
Law Firm of Hassan Mahassni In association with Dechert LLP stands out for its work in restructuring and is also highly skilled in advising on M&A and joint ventures across multiple industries. The department is jointly led by senior legal consultant Abdul Moeen Arnous, who assists clients with joint ventures and M&A, and associate Faisal Linjawy. Counsel Husum El Khatib is highly skilled in corporate restructuring.
- Advising Saudi Total Petroleum Products Company on its restructuring.
- Assisted Universal Motors Agency with its corporate restructuring.
- Advising Evergreen Marine Corporation on its joint venture project with a local Saudi company.
Mohammed Al-Ghamdi Law Firm in association with Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Mohammed Al-Ghamdi Law Firm in association with Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP has core strengths in the healthcare sector but is also very active in the energy, TMT and banking industries, among others. Name partner Mohammed Al-Ghamdi, who is highly skilled in M&A and joint ventures, as well as licensing and distribution agreements, jointly heads the team with John C. Boehm, who handles M&A, private equity, IPOs and privatisations. Other notable names include of counsel Paul Lockyer and associate Bassam Oweidat.
The Law Firm of Wael A. Alissa in association with Dentons
The Law Firm of Wael A. Alissa in association with Dentons' standout capability is in the defence sector but it is also notably strong in sectors including manufacturing and oil and gas. Managing partner Mahmoud Abdel-Baky leads the practice and is an expert in cross-border M&A and joint ventures. He recently advised Total on its joint venture with Saudi Aramco involving the acquisition of retail fuel service stations in Saudi Arabia. Another key figure is Ziad Saad, who splits his time between Dubai and Riyadh and is also involved in cross-border M&A and joint ventures.
Other key lawyers:
Dynamic Industries Saudi Arabia
Flughafen Munchen GmbH 3
General Electric Medical Services Co.
Public International Law and Policy Group (PILPG)
Privatair Saudi Arabia Limited
- Assisted Dynamic Industries with its contractual agreements with Saudi Aramco for the development of major offshore projects.
- Advised Mada AlSharq Company LLC on its acquisition of 50% of Lamprell Saudi Arabia Company.
- Advised Total on its joint venture with Saudi Aramco involving the acquisition of retail fuel service stations in Saudi Arabia.
Al-Ghazzawi Professional Association
AlDhabaan & Partners in association with Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP stands out for its 'transactional track record' and 'local expertise'. Managing partner Fahad AlDehais AlMalki is a key name for capital markets work, with expertise in handling public listings, rights offerings and funds. Muhammad Arif Saeed leads on commercial matters and is an expert in contracts, transactions and procurement. Anmar Al-Gharifi is notably strong in public and private M&A.
‘I go back to them because of the speed of delivery, expertise in KSA and the practical approach to negotiations and problem solving.’
‘Eversheds has always put senior members of the team to execute our engagements and this has reflected in the quality of deliverables and caliber during negotiations.’
‘Fahad AlDehais and Anmar Al-Gharifi have been exceptional.’
‘Their availability, local expertise, transaction track record and professionalism are qualities that make them standout.’
Saudi Telecom Company
Alrashid Trading and Contracting Company
Majid Al-Futtaim Properties
AlAyuni Investment and Contracting Company
Thales International Saudi Arabia
Diagnostic STAGO S.A.S.
ABB Asea Brown Boveri Ltd.
- Advised US company Tronox on its acquisition of the titanium dioxide business of Saudi chemicals producer, Cristal.
- Advised Alkhabeer Capital, a leading local investment bank, on its purchase of 100% of the share capital of Azezeyah Private Schools through the client’s private equity fund.
- Acting for the shareholders of Meras on the disposal of a 44% equity stake in the group to Mefic Capital.
The Law Office of Looaye M. Al-Akkas in Association with Vinson & Elkins LLP predominantly handles joint ventures, M&A and restructurings in the oil and gas sector. Practice head Looaye Al-Akkas has advised a number of major public bodies active in the oil and gas space.
- Advising Ahmad Hamad Al Gosaibi & Bros on its restructuring.
Law Offices of Dr Mujahid M. Al-Sawwaf
Law Offices of Dr Mujahid M. Al-Sawwaf is notably strong in joint ventures and commercial agreements, and its client base includes international and domestic companies. Name partner Mujahid Al-Sawwaf is a key name and is an expert in Islamic and commercial law. Also recommended is David Wells, who is very experienced in corporate transactions.
Saud Al-Ammari (Dr.) Law Firm
Saud Al-Ammari (Dr.) Law Firm's stand out expertise is in the energy sector, where the team handles M&A, joint ventures and commercial agreements. Saud Al-Ammari leads the team and has a strong background in the oil and gas sector, particularly in advising public bodies on corporate and commercial agreements.
Shearman & Sterling LLP in association with Dr Sultan Almasoud & Partners advises on M&A, joint ventures and private equity transactions for clients in a variety of sectors. Co-practice head Sanjarbek Abdukhalilov advised Al Ahlia For Cooperative Insurance Company on its merger with Gulf Union Cooperative Insurance Company and assisted Goldman Sachs Saudi Arabia, as the financial adviser to The Saudi British Bank with the latter's merger with Alawwal Bank. Fellow practice head Sultan Almasoud was also involved in that deal and is highly skilled in M&A and joint ventures.
Jabal Omar Development Company
Bin Dayel Group
Al Ahlia For Cooperative Insurance Company
- Advised NMC Healthcare LLC on a joint venture agreement with Hassana Investment to establish a new national healthcare company in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised Al Ahlia For Cooperative Insurance Company on its merger with Gulf Union Cooperative Insurance Company.
- Assisted Goldman Sachs Saudi Arabia, as the financial adviser to The Saudi British Bank with the latter’s merger with Alawwal Bank.
Zamakhchary & Co. in agreement with Linklaters
Zamakhchary & Co. in agreement with Linklaters benefits from its tie-up with Linklaters, which is a particular advantage for cross-border transactions where the firm is able to draw on key practitioners in the latter firm's UAE office. Waleed Rasromani splits his time between the Riyadh and Dubai offices, and has a particular focus on transactions involving the energy and infrastructure sector. Managing director Monaji Zamakhchary, who focuses on commercial agreements and Martin Creek, who advises on M&A, joint ventures and restructurings, who are based in Riyadh, are other key names.
Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia
Bugshan Investment Company Ltd.
National Petrochemicals Industrial Company
Xenel Industries Limited
Saudi Arabian Fertilizer Company
Saudi Investment Recycling Company
Amaala Holding Company
The Diplomatic Quarter General Authority
Mohammed Ali Al Swailem Group
- Advised Schlumberger, the world’s largest oilfield services company, on the sale of its regional land rigs business to a Saudi joint venture between Schlumberger and TAQA KSA.
- Advised the Saudi Investment Recycling Company on the acquisition of Global Environmental Management Services from a consortium of investors comprising of Jadwa Investment, Fajr Capital and Ashmore.
- Assisted the budget hotel chain OYO with its entry into the Saudi market.