Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii handles the full spectrum of contentious and non-contentious tax issues. The firm's market-leading corporate finance team ensures a strong flow of transactional support work, including tax advice and planning on cross-border commercial deals and restructurings. This includes advice on transfer pricing and customs related issues. The controversy side of the practice offers strong litigation and regulatory expertise, particularly to clients in heavily regulated sectors. Alexandru Cristea and Razvan Gheorghiu-Testa jointly lead the multidisciplinary team. The group has a deep bench of well regarded tax directors, including Ramona Chițu and Cristian Velcu.
Tax in Romania
Razvan Gheorghiu-Testa; Alexandru Cristea
Other key lawyers:
Ramona Chițu; Cristian Velcu
‘The team is well prepared, highly experienced and client oriented. Very professional, going into the detailed perspective, giving all the time a full control of the situation for both client and their team. ’
‘Alexandru Cristea and Razvan Testa are highly recommended.’
‘TZA TAX continues to be our trusted advisor. We appreciate TZA TAX for being flexible and proactive towards our needs. We also appreciate their integrated approach: they are able to offer a full range of legal and tax services.’
‘ From the tax team our main point of contact is Ramona Chitu, Tax Director. Ramona’s in-depth knowledge of the tax legislation has made our collaboration efficient and productive.’
CEZ Group Romania
Asset Portfolio Servicing Romania
Avant Garde Sisteme (Daikin)
- Tax assistance to CEZ Romania in relation to its ongoing operations on the Romanian energy market, as well as providing assistance in other tax related issues, such as tax inspections and litigation.
- Ongoing tax consultancy services to Total Romania in relation to the client’s local and cross-border operations.
- Assistance on tax structuring the acquisition of bank portfolios/assets for Asset Portfolio Servicing Romania, mainly of non-performing loan portfolios involving real estate collaterals.
Biris Goran SPARL has a comprehensive tax practice with an especially good record for heavyweight tax disputes. The firm is regularly referred work on the tax aspects of complex restructurings and corporate deals, and has particularly strong expertise on real estate related issues. Practice co-head Ruxandra Jianu is the main contact for consultancy matters. Firm founder Gabriel Biriş leads the contentious side, which regularly assists clients on precedent-setting direct and indirect tax disputes with the authorities. Other key partners include litigator Mihai Nușcă and transfer pricing speclialist Alina Andrei, who works in the affiliated firm, Cabot Transfer Pricing.
Gabriel Biriș; Ruxandra Jianu
Other key lawyers:
Mihai Nușcă; Alina Andrei
BCR (Banca Comercială Română)
Accor Group, Orbis Hotel Group
Electrica Muntenia Nord
eMAG (Dante International)
Oriflame Romania, Publicis, Impuls Leasing Romania, Fildas Catena Group, Angelli Spumante & Aperitive, Hagag Development Europe, Immofinanz, Global Vision, Forte Partners, Vastint, Cris-Tim, Titan Mar
LeasePlan Romania, LeasePlan Service Center
One United Properties
- Assisting BCR on a major multimillion Euro dispute with the tax authorities concerning transfer pricing, share transfers and assignment of receivables, as well as corporate income tax matters specific to financial institutions.
- Assisting Accor Group on the tax aspects of its business restructuring, including the separation of its real-estate assets from its hotel-services business.
- Advisor to Electrica Muntenia Nord SA, the largest Romanian energy distributor, in drafting the annulment claims and court representations in a complex tax dispute, involving multi-disciplinary matters including fiscal, administrative, criminal, regulatory, civil and forest law.
D&B David si Baias SCA has a top-notch reputation for contentious and non-contentious tax advice, and related administrative and white collar crime proceedings. The firm regularly represents clients before the regulatory authorities, and provides strong corporate support on M&As, financings, real estate deals and restructurings. Other areas of strength include VAT, transfer pricing, social contributions, excise duty and environmental tax. The firm's membership of the PwC network makes it popular with clients seeking a one-stop-shop. Tax litigation head Dan Dascălu, Ana-Maria Iordache and Mihail Boian are highly recommended for disputes. Sorin David and Anda Rojanschi are active on the advisory side.
Sorin David; Dan Dascalu;
Other key lawyers:
Ana-Maria Iordache; Anada Rojanschi; Mihail Boian
‘D&B David si Baias SCA are a great team and we trusted them with our tax litigation. ’
‘In our opinion, Dan Dascalu is the best Romanian lawyer specialised in tax litigation, with extensive knowledge and experience in tax matters.’
‘The tax team is definitely at the top of the list when it comes to choosing the best possible lawyers in this domain. They can handle even the most difficult and complex cases, due to their exceptional technical skills doubled by the most practical approach.’
‘They are always available, even in short notice, and when you work in a fast changing industry you learn to appreciate this. I usually need answers yesterday, because this is how things work, so I know that I’ll get it when I ask D&B. We’ve worked together for so long they understand the business, so I don’t need to prepare pages of business understanding for them; I just ask the question. ’
‘Puts its clients first and focuses on providing extraordinary service to those clients. Stability of representation team.’
‘Responsive lawyers who ask great questions and actively listen to answers.’
‘They have that connection to the reality that is given by years of practice, I guess – they provide a straightforward answer, not an open one. As a practitioner in the industry I do not need an array of possibilities to choose from, but a yes/no answer. Dan Dascalu and Ana Maria Iordache are remarkable to me.’
‘Dan Dascalu, being both a very persuasive practitioner and also an exceptional theorist, is definitely one of the best advocates to which anyone can entrust in full confidence even the most sensitive cases. He is a proficient lawyer, coordinating a team of genuinely professional individuals, of which I would mention Mihail Boian as a young lawyer on the rise.’
Interim Plus SRL
Vista Leasing IFN (Romania) SA
Kronochem Sebes SRL
Petrotel Lukoil SA
Orange Romania SA
Unilever South Central Europe
Cargill Agricultura SRL, Cargill Nutritie Animala SRL & Provimi Romania SRL (Cargill Group)
Centrul International CDG SRL
Lufkin Industries SRL
- Successfully represented Vista Leasing IFN in a VAT dispute with the authorities.
- Successfully assisted Kronochem Sebes SRL before the local tax authorities in a case concerning the rescheduling its tax obligations.
- Assisted Petrotel Lukoil in a complex €20m tax litigation case, concerning the application of national excise tax legislation.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen clients benefit from the firm's in-depth focus on tax consultancy and litigation work. The team has a broad mix of lawyers and tax consultants, ensuring a wide range of expertise in direct and indirect tax matters. Many clients work in heavily regulated industries, ensuring a flow of complex mandates, from cross-border transactions and projects through to tax audits and related court proceedings. Alina Timofti and Marius Ionescu jointly lead the team. Key individuals include Lucian Barbu, Silviu Badescu, and Alexandru Aparaschivei, who heads the firm's VAT department.
Alina Timofti; Marius Ionescu
Other key lawyers:
Lucian Barbu; Silviu Badescu; Alexandru Aparaschivei
Tax litigation and consultancy work is a core area for Băncilă, Diaconu și Asociații SPRL. As part of the EY network, the firm offers obvious benefits for clients seeking a one-stop-shop, particularly on cross border tax structuring and planning. This is complemented by a premier litigation offering, which is often top choice for high value bet-the-company direct and indirect tax disputes and challenges. The highly experienced Emanuel Băncilă leads the tax policy and controversy practice, with backing from a strong cadre of managing associates, including Alex Slujitoru, Călin Stan, Corina Nicu and Andrada Pohaci.
Other key lawyers:
Alex Slujitoru; Călin Stan; Corina Nicu; Andrada Pohaci
‘These are the best tax lawyers I have ever worked with in my 13+ years of professional career. Extremely reliable with exceptional client commitment and unbeatable price/performance ratio. They are capable of handling even the most sophisticated cases within very challenging deadlines.’
‘They offered quick and professional answers to all the questions which were addressed. excellent technical knowledge and ability to communicate.’
‘They are very proactive in all our tax issues and have a very good understanding of the tax procedures and court practices which has assisted in our tax matters. Against our previous providers they have shown themselves to be more in tune with our business needs. ’
‘Emanuel Bancila and Alex Slujitoru are our main points of contact. We have built up very good relationships with both individuals and we value their judgements and advice in the tax matters we have encountered in the county. ’
‘Alex Slujitoru -very well trained professionally, experienced, reliable, very kind, very efficient, open minded.’
‘Emanuel Bancila – good leader, professional, very experienced, open-minded’
‘I would like to mention Alex Slujitoru and Andrada Pohaci who are the best tax-litigation lawyers I have ever encountered across the 20 jurisdictions for which I am responsible. They are extremely attentive, reliable and pragmatic. ’
Petrotel Lukoil, member of LUKOIL Group
Johnson Controls Group
Bunge Romania, member of Bunge Limited
Schaeffler Romania and Schaeffler Technologies, members of Schaeffler Group
Adient Automotive Romania, member of Adient group
ENKA Construction and Development BV, member of ENKA conglomerate
Nestle Romania SRL
Smart Diesel SRL
DS Smith Packaging
Administratia Romana a Serviciilor de Trafic Aerian ROMATSA
Green Vision Seven, member of Hareon Group
Mercedes Benz Leasing
Chep Equipment Pooling
Applied Physics Institute
- Representing Petrotel Lukoil on the tax and procedural tax aspects of a complex tax evasion and money laundering case involving €2bn of alleged damages to the state budget.
- Assisting Schaeffler Romania and Schaeffler Technologies in the Romanian courts regarding VAT procedures and interest.
- Representing three companies from the Johnson Controls group before the tax authorities and the courts in challenging the results and enforcement of controversial tax audits.
CMS has a versatile tax practice that is especially strong in tax planning and consulting. This includes advice on direct and indirect international tax strategies, and support on major M&A deals and restructurings. The team also has a good track record representing clients in VAT audits, and is well-versed on contentious issues, regularly representing clients before the authorities and the courts. Roxana Popel heads the practice.
AFI Europe N.V.
- Advised a global oil & gas company on a successful VAT appeal.
- Advised a major technology company on successfully defending a high-value VAT case related to a business sale.
- Advised a technology company on the tax aspects of a complex business restructuring.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA offers good support at both a domestic and international level. The firm's global network gives it an edge when advising multinationals on cross-border issues, including corporate transactions, restructuring, customs and transfer pricing, where senior transfer pricing specialist Florin Moroz brings added depth. The team, which is led by the highly-regarded Tudor Nedelea, works closely with other departments throughout the firm, including its litigators for contentious issues. The group has strong cross-sector expertise and is especially experienced representing life sciences and healthcare clients. Ionela Florescu is also well-regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Ionela Florescu; Florin Moroz
‘The team are highly skilled and knowledgeable. They provide good, practical advice. ’
‘The local DLA Piper team combines outstanding experience in both legal and tax matters and this comes to the exclusive benefit of their clients. DLA is offering a one-stop shop for tax business service covering all spectrum from regular tax advice to dispute resolution.’
‘Tudor Nedelea is a down to earth lawyer who has extensive knowledge. He provides pragmatic advice and is quick to respond.’
‘Tudor Nedelea and Ionela Florescu are both very dedicated and extremely proactive in their advice showing a good understanding our business and external environment.’
BELLOTTO HOLDINGS LIMITED
WIPRO TECHNOLOGIES SRL
EARLY GAME ADVISORS SRL/ EARLY GAME PARTNERS BV
STERICYCLE ROMANIA SRL
NETOPIA PAYMENTS SRL
RECKITT BENKISER (ROMANIA) SRL
SIMARTIS TELECOM SRL
ICON FILMS SRL
- Assisted Reckitt Benckiser in clarifying with the local tax authorities the excise duties and customs treatment on products following Brexit.
- Advised BRF on a complex transfer pricing matter involving the transferring of intangibles in another jurisdiction between affiliated entities.
- Assisted Hyosung on indirect tax and controversy implications regarding investments in various operational companies in the renewable energy sector.
Musat & Asociatii has been a fixture in the market for many years, and is favoured by a good mix of major international and domestic clients. The tax practice offers both contentious and non-contentious support on direct and indirect taxes, VAT and transfer pricing, as well as on private client tax matters. This includes advice on M&A and cross-border commercial projects and business launches. The practice is jointly led by Razvan Graure and Angela Porumb, with Graure focused on the tax planning and structuring side, and Porumb highly experienced on complex litigation.
Răzvan Graure; Angela Porumb
LES ENTREPRISES BARRETTE
ANA & CORNEL SRL
- Advising Amazon on extending its local presence in Romania and tax incentives for local employees.
- Representing Nokia in a €11.5m dispute with the tax authorities over its decision to impose additional customs charges following an audit.
- Assisting Uber on the tax implications of establishing its business in Romania through a local subsidiary.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii advises on the full mix of direct and indirect tax matters. Recently, the group has provided strong tax planning and due diligence support on high-profile commercial projects, including M&A deals, real estate transactions and group restructurings. The lawyers have good experience assisting with tax audits and related challenges before the courts. Practice head Mihaela Pohaci is a hugely experienced certified tax adviser, while co-head Alexandru Ambrozie adds weight on related white-collar crime issues.
Alexandru Ambrozie; Mihaela Pohaci
Auchan & Leroy Merlin
Impuls Leasing (a company owned by Raiffeisen Bank)
- Tax due diligance for Dedeman, on the acquisitions of The Bridge 3 and The Office buildings.
- Advised Oresa on the sale of its subsidiary, RTC Proffice Experience, to Altex.
- Advised AkzoNobel group on the merger of its Romanian subsidiary with Fabryo Corporation.
Reff & Associates SCA has a sizeable tax operation that is well-equipped for consulting and disputes work. The firm's affiliation with Deloitte gives its clients access to a broad swathe of legal and non-legal expertise, which is especially useful for transactional and day-to-day matters. The litigation side of the team is another string to the bow, and practice head Mihnea Galgoţiu-Săraru is a disputes partner with considerable experience. The team regularly challenges decisions from the local and national authorities on VAT, income tax, customs and transfer pricing issues.
Aedificium Banca pentru Locuinte (formerly Raiffeisen Banca pentru Locuinte)
Deutsche Leasing Romania IFN
- Advice to Aedificium following an audit performed by the Romanian Court of Accounts concerning the restitution of unlawful granted state premiums.
- Advicsing Halliburton Energy Services Romania following an audit performed by the tax authorities who refused to accept the deduction of several services acquired by Halliburton for its drilling and cementing business.
Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA has a standalone tax advisory service operating through a specialist company, Schoenherr Tax Bucharest SRL. The group provides strong support on the full range of corporate matters, including transaction-related tax advice and cross-border projects. VAT, transfer pricing, social contributions, personal tax, and corporate and withholding tax are all areas of expertise. The team also works closely with the disputes practice on litigations and challenges to tax audits. The practice is now led by Adriana Stoian following the departure of Theodor Artenie who joined Noerr in February 2021.
‘The tax team at Schoenherr Bucharest has the in-depth expertise you simply need in such risky and volatile tax environment such as the one in Romania. The team delivers exceptional performance even in the most challenging projects.’
‘Schoenherr has expertise in tax matters, having great knowledge, excellent orientation on building a strong relationship with the client.’
‘This team is extremely skilled and assertive about tax matters. This is an area where you need certainty and no risk. They are able to provide customer the right answers given a strong know-how of the topic. Effective and partnering with client to find the best solution on tax matters.’
- Assisting a series of clients in litigation cases before the courts for obtaining the annulment of tax decisions imposed by Romanian tax authorities.
- Assisted a Romanian NGO in exploring various tax options for establishing a private primary school.
Bohalteanu şi Asociaţii
Tax law is a key area for Bohalteanu şi Asociaţii and managing partner Ionut Bohalteanu. The firm has a good track record on cross-border issues, including transfer pricing and double taxation. Clients come from across a range of sectors including health care and life sciences, where the firm has helped with several high-profile clawback challenges against the domestic tax authorities. The firm is also strong on the taxation of Romanian-owned trusts in foreign jurisdictions, as well as the taxation of derivatives and swaps.
‘Bohalteanu si Asociatii has a sound background in tax matters.’
‘Ionut Bohalteanu’s excellent expertise in this field is once more demonstrated by providing rapid response and efficient approach in order to facilitate our understanding of current tax legal framework and specific sector implications.’
‘Their team is up to date with the relevant legislation and prospective changes giving sound advice and in time for the benefit of their clients.’
‘Ionut Bohalteanu is their tax mastermind, having a deep insight from both a business and legal perspective in understanding complex structures and offering appropriate solutions.’
Fintax Legal International SRL
Magheru Property Investment SRL
- Advising Fintax Legal International SRL in connection with various specific tax matters, including the micro-enterprises tax regime, and taxes on dividends and interest.
- Assisting Magheru Property Investment SRL in connection with the tax implications of a complex share capital increase.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica has built a successful track record representing clients before the authorities in high-value direct and indirect tax cases. Anca Grigorescu, who heads the firm's employee benefits and tax practice groups has over 20 years' experience advising clients from across a range of sectors. As well as contentious issues, the team regularly assists clients with the tax planning and structuring of corporate transactions and cross-border commercial projects.
voestalpine Automotive Components ARAD
Goldale Real Estate
WBV Weisenburger Bau + Verwaltung GmbH
- Represented Voestalpine Automotive Components ARAD in a dispute with the tax authorities following a tax audit.
- Advised Humangest Group in a dispute following an adverse tax audit.
- Represented power plant design and construction company, AE&E Group, in a high-value VAT dispute.
Buzescu Ca's broad range of expertise reflects its diverse client base, which includes major energy, financial services, industrial, healthcare, and transport companies. Cross-border tax planning and structuring features prominently on the agenda, and the team has good experience of related customs issues. Adrian Tomescu leads the well-regarded team, which is a reliable choice for direct and indirect tax support, including negotiations and disputes with the authorities.
CENTRAL EUROPEAN DRILLING
DALEA INVESTMENT GROUP
- Advised EDF Trading regarding local regulatory requirements and compliance with Romanian law.
- Advised Kautex Textron on the taxation of the dividends distributed by a Romanian subsidiary to international shareholders.
- Advised Viking International on various tax issues, including a recent tax audit, VAT issues, customs duties issues, and tax enforcement proceedings.
Laurentiu, Laurentiu & Asociatii has an excellent reputation for advising companies in and around the city of Cluj-Napoca. The region's popularity with start-ups, particularly in the telecoms and IT sectors, ensures regular advice to clients on the tax implications of employee incentive schemes. The firm also advises on tax planning and structuring for corporate and real estate transactions. Alin Mihai Laurentiu and Achim-Sorin Razoare are well-regarded by the firm's domestic and international clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘They provided legal assistance on numerous fiscal matters (taxes for microenterprises, value added tax etc.), regarding the relevant legal provisions that concerns the activity that we are conducting. To summarize, LLA delivers everything on time and according to our needs. ’
‘They are very professional, they have strong knowledge about the legislation in this area, and we always receive from them creative and good solutions for our problems.’
‘The team shows great professionalism and expertise during the raised cases and also showed maximum flexibility. The reaction time was extremely short and the provided the solutions were 100% useful.’
‘Tax issues related to the employees benefits and also for exemption from income tax for the employees who are providing services in the IT area. From my perspective they are the best partner I worked with. It gives me a lot of confidence in approaching the operational challenges, when we have them as a partner. ’
‘Alin-Mihai Laurentiu is intelligent, understands the business environment, has a very structured approach and deep legal and cultural knowledge, which allows him to have an open approach to creating innovative contracts and incentive structures.’
‘Alin Laurentiu represents the perfect combination between very good legal knowledge and a business-oriented mindset and approach, which allows him to find creative solutions for the client’
‘Sorin Razoare is pragmatic in the best sense of the word, prompt and responsible, with a great capacity for work and adaptation and, especially, for solving the problem, with an analytical eye and skills for analyzing the implications from various perspectives. ’
‘Sorin Razoare provided simple and elegant solutions to complex problems. ’
‘We consider Sorin Razoare and Alexandra Cohutiu as close colleagues, part of our company. This is how close our collaboration with both of them has developed. Their constant help and guidance on Tax specific matters has helped our company navigate a constant shift/change in the Romanian legislation, a help we’ve so much appreciated. In those cases necessitating additional input, Mihai Alin Laurentiu was a constant presence too.’
Telenav Software SRL
Nemetos Consulting SRL
Italian Cable Company SpA
Amera Tower SRL
Arex FM SRL
Tora Trading Services SRL
SPV Investment SRL
Soimeni Parc SA
Fundatia Traditio Transylvanica
Hoerbiger Service Romania SRL
- Advised Telenav Software SRL on the tax implications of an employee stock purchase plan.
- Advised Fundatia Traditio Transylvanica on a tax claim concerning the renovation of a 13th century castle in Cluj County.
- Advised SPV Investment SRL on a fiscal audit following a VAT refund request submitted by the client.
MPR Partners has a solid reputation for advising on day-to-day tax compliance matters and disputes with the authorities. The firm is also strong on the transactional side, often advising on international tax structures for high profile corporate transactions. The practice is led by highly experienced tax consultant Felix Tapai, while founding partner Gelu Maravela is also very well regarded.
Popescu & Asociatii has a strong tax litigation arm, which is regularly before the courts and relevant authorities in tax and customs disputes. The team has good experience of cross-border issues, and represents multinationals in complex cases often involving inter-company agreements and restructurings. Consulting and advisory work also features prominently, especially in support of corporate and real estate transactions. Octavian Popescu and Dana Bivol are key names in the practice.
Octavian Popescu; Dana Bivol
MEGA IMAGE/AHOLD-DELHAIZE GROUP
TEAMNET INTERNATIONAL/WORLD PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
CAMERA DE COMERT SI INDUSTRIE BUCURESTI
- Assisted Electrica Furnizare with contesting certain tax obligations instituted by the Court of Accounts of Romania.
- Successfully represented Octapharma, a major plasma manufacturer, in all disputes concerning an erroneous claw-back tax for medicines placed on the Romanian market.
- Assisting Mytilineos Holding in contesting certain tax payments linked to the reclassification of inter-group holdings and assets.