With a strong understanding of regulatory issues, CMS provides comprehensive legal services covering the entire energy chain. Typical mandates range from assisting with the development of projects, to acting for leading energy players in high-stakes litigation and M&A transactions at a local and cross-border level. Natural gas, electricity and renewable energy - wind, hydro and solar - are core areas of expertise for the well-established energy and climate change practice led by Mónica Carneiro Pacheco, who stands out for her significant regulatory expertise in the energy space. Bernardo Cunha Ferreira is a seasoned practitioner in environmental law and renewables, notably solar power projects. Manuel Cassiano Neves recently joined the team; he brings a wealth of experience in public concessions and energy supply agreements.
Energy and natural resources in Portugal
Mónica Carneiro Pacheco
Other key lawyers:
Bernardo Cunha Ferreira; Manuel Cassiano Neves
‘CMS is undoubtedly one of the most knowledgeable law firms in the energy sector. Mónica Carneiro Pacheco is our great reference for all regulatory and transactional matters.’
‘CMS is the firm you need to turn to in case you want to complete a transaction in record time.’
‘A multidisciplinary team, capable of embracing each challenge in an expeditious manner.’
‘Mónica Carneiro Pacheco manages a cohesive and balanced team, with areas of diversified expertise in the energy and natural resources sector. She is an excellent lawyer with a strong orientation towards the client. I would like to highlight Bernardo da Cunha Ferreira for the legal quality of his work and his attitude towards the client.’
‘The level of legal expertise and insight in the energy business in Portugal was exceptional. We encountered a highly delicate and difficult legal problem in a major transaction, but the team at CMS simply showed us how to deal with such a problem. To the point, thorough and precise conclusions completely disarmed this potential deal-breaker.’
‘Mónica Carneiro Pacheco was outstanding in every way in the work she carried out on our behalf. The level of preciseness and clear cut legal advice was exceptional. She is highly skilled and is a lawyer with great integrity.’
Galp Energia, SA
- Supporting EDP in an arbitration proceeding against the Portuguese state regarding the Fridão Hydropower Plant Project.
- Advising Lightsource BP on legal and regulatory matters regarding its activity in Portugal, namely on the solar photovoltaic auctions launched by the Portuguese government in 2019 and 2020.
- Advising Helexia Development, a French company working in solar energy for self- consumption for industrial and commercial buildings, on all the legal aspects of its entry into the Portuguese market.
Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados is one of the first ports of call for high-value transactions and complex regulatory matters in the energy sector, where it acts for the main operators, sponsors, lenders, developers and contractors in the country. Renewable energy is a strong point for the practice, which is skilled in assisting with innovative financing structures (including green bonds) and project development matters pertaining to wind, hydro, solar, biomass and wave power in Portugal and Africa. Managing partner Nuno Galvão Teles and Tomás Vaz Pinto oversee the department. Other key individuals include Ricardo Andrade Amaro and Catarina Brito Ferreira, both of whom demonstrate extensive expertise in corporate and commercial issues, M&A transactions and regulatory matters.
Nuno Galvão Teles; Tomás Vaz Pinto
Other key lawyers:
Catarina Brito Ferreira; Ricardo Andrade Amaro; Joana Alves de Abreu
‘In-depth knowledge of the sector and the ability to influence the course of operations. Great risk management skills.’
‘Ricardo Andrade Amaro is undoubtedly one of the M&A lawyers with the deepest knowledge of the energy sector and who manages to create bridges in the critical moments of the negotiation process.’
‘MGLTS is focused on the client and has a wealth of experience in the energy sector.’
- Acted as EDP’s lead counsel in the sale of the Douro International power plants (three run-of-river dams and three pumping storage dams) to a consortium (€2.2bn).
- Act as advisors to Aquila Capital in the context of a cooperation agreement to be entered into with Enforce – Engenharia da Energia for the acquisition of solar plant projects.
- Assisted Banco Sabadell with project financing facilities for the construction and operation of photovoltaic plants in Castelo de Vide and Santiago do Cacém (without feed-in-tariff) of Group Masaveu International.
Covering the entire spectrum of energy matters, VdA particularly excels in cross-border project development and financing involving Lusophone African countries. It fields a well-established oil and gas team, which is adept at assisting leading financial institutions and companies throughout all stages of the construction, financing and restructuring of projects, and in M&A transactions. Public and private sector clients in the mining sector also frequently instruct the team. The broad service offering further includes renewable energy advice, encompassing hydro, wind and solar power. Ana Luís de Sousa, whose areas of expertise include the structuring of greenfield projects and financing transactions, heads the team with João Afonso Fialho, who focuses on the oil and gas sector. Vanda Cascão is highly regarded in the power sector; Manuel Protásio is a name to note for project finance. José Miguel Oliveira - who made partner in 2021 - is another key contact.
Ana Luís de Sousa; João Afonso Fialho
Other key lawyers:
Vanda Cascão; Manuel Protásio; José Miguel Oliveira
Total E&P Mozambique Area 1, Limitada
Morgan Stanley & Co. International plc
J.P. Morgan Securities plc
Banco Comercial Português, S.A.
ENGIE SA |EDP Renewables
Redes Energéticas Nacionais, SGPS, S.A.
MEO – Serviços de Comunicações e Multimédia, S.A.
KT – Kinetics Technology, SPA – Angola
Timor-Leste National Petroleum and Minerals Authority (ANPM)
- Advising Total on Mozambican law matters in connection with the structuring and negotiation of the project finance for the Mozambique LNG Project for Offshore Area 1 of the Rovuma Basin, off the northern coast of Mozambique.
- Advised ENGIE and EDP RENEWABLES on the transfer of their offshore assets to OW Offshore S.L. (the result of the joint venture announced in 2019 and controlled by EDPR and Engie starting with 1.5GW under construction and 4GW under development).
- Continues to assist First State Investments (through Finerge) with its acquisition programme in Portugal in wind and solar energy.
Abreu Advogados handles the gamut of energy matters, encompassing renewables, oil and gas, environmental, sustainability and climate change issues. The team is adept at advising on all areas of law, ranging from energy-related M&A transactions, regulatory issues and finance to public infrastructure projects, procurement and litigation. Its cross-border capabilities are also highlighted as a core strength, notably in the development of large-scale energy projects in Portuguese-speaking African countries. José Eduardo Martins combines a thorough understanding of environmental law with extensive experience in public law mandates. These are also areas of activity for Manuel de Andrade Neves, who is a name to note for mining projects in East Timor. Manuel Santos Vítor recently joined the team, further strengthening its renewables and oil and gas offering.
José Eduardo Martins; Manuel de Andrade Neves; Manuel Santos Vítor
Other key lawyers:
Tiago Corrêa do Amaral; Telmo Coutinho Rodrigues
‘Abreu’s Energy and Natural Resources practice is composed of a highly skilled and knowledgeable group of lawyers providing advice in different areas of law as applied to the specifics of the energy and natural resources industry. They have seniority, experience, and altogether provide reliable and comprehensive advice in divestment/investment, development and operation related matters, namely in corporate/M&A, financing, public law and across the board regulatory, tax and real estate.’
‘I have been working with Manuel Santos Vítor for many years now in Corporate/M&A and financing matters dedicated to the Energy and Natural Resources Industry in transactional, projects, corporate and financing matters. Manuel Santos Vítor’s immense experience, expertise and management skills are evidenced on a day-to-day basis. His commercial and soft skills lead him to be an extremely good negotiator. He is a strategist and, overall, his qualities allow him to give relevance to what matters, being practical, efficient and reliable whilst achieving the client’s aims and surpassing our expectations.’
‘I have more recently had the opportunity to benefit from the advice and assistance of Manuel Andrade Neves for public law matters in several project implementation and licensing development issues. I may say that his availability, patience and skills in planning, permitting and public law make him one of the most “to-the-point” public law lawyers I have ever met’.
‘Abreu Advogados is a top law firm with the capacity to provide the support we need in all areas of law. We recognise the team’s competence, professionalism and proactivity.’
‘We have worked with Manuel Santos Vítor for a long time; his interpersonal skills and knowledge are outstanding.’
Iberdrola Generación S.A.U
CC Energy Ltd.
- Assisted Statkraft in the intended acquisition of a portfolio of hydro assets through the acquisition of a SPV vehicle of the EDP Group.
- Advises Iberdrola Generación on all its major projects in Portugal, such as the four large dams project in Tâmega (€1.8bn ).
- Provides legal assistance to NCONDEZI ENERGY in the development of Mozambique’s first coal-fired power plant in the Tete Province, which includes a 300MW integrated mine and power plant.
Energy companies and investment funds seek Cuatrecasas' legal assistance in the full array of energy matters. The team's energy and natural resources expertise is not only limited to oil and gas, mining and renewable matters, but also covers co-generation projects, combined-cycle gas turbine plants and waste treatment. Mariana Norton dos Reis, Duarte Abecasis and André Duarte Figueira head up the department, which is a strong performer across transactional work (M&A, finance and restructuring), EPC contracts, sector-related disputes, licensing and regulatory issues. Former co-head José Diogo Horta Osório left the firm.
Mariana Norton dos Reis; Duarte Abecasis; André Duarte Figueira
Other key lawyers:
Francisco Santos Costa
‘The firm fosters close relationships between the client and each of the team members, offering a personalised and complete service. In addition, it always seeks to meet client’s wishes and provides total availability.’
‘Mariana Norton dos Reis is recommended.’
CHL – Compañía Logística de Hidrocarburos
MAICERIAS ESPAÑOLAS, S.A.
STRONGEAGLE Mozambique Fund
SONANGOL SINOPEC INTERNATIONAL LIMITED
- Advising Engie as leader of a consortium including Crédit Agricole Assurances and Mirova on the acquisition from EDP of a 1.7GW hydroelectric portfolio composed of six hydro plants located in the international section of the Douro river (€2bn).
- Advising CHL – Compañía Logística de Hidrocarburos on a public tender for the construction of an oil pipeline between Aveiras de Cima and the Lisbon International Airport.
- Assisting EKZ Renewables AG in the acquisition of solar power plants in Portugal, with the total installed capacity of 48.9MW and 21.1MW, respectively.
With a special focus on the emerging climate change sector, Linklaters has the capability to assist with a wide range of matters pertaining to renewables and green projects and related transactions. Drawing upon the firm's international footprint, the team attracts instructions in multi-jurisdictional deals, predominantly involving portfolio acquisitions and financing transactions in the energy sector. The department has additional expertise in regulatory matters, public law, environmental and industrial licensing in Portugal. Project finance and developments in the fields of hydro, wind, biomass and solar power are among Francisco Ferraz de Carvalho's areas of expertise.
Francisco Ferraz de Carvalho
Other key lawyers:
Laura Nunes Vicente
Mozambique Rovuma Venture SpA
China Three Gorges (Europe) S.A.
Hidroeléctrica do Casal, S.A.
Eólica de S. Julião (E.ON)
- Continues to advise Eni, ExxonMobil and its co-venturers on all aspects of the development of the Rovuma LNG project in Mozambique.
- Assisted Glennmont Partners I in the sale of the Lucia portfolio, which comprises four solar PV farms with a total installed capacity of circa 30MW, to First State Investments-owned renewable energy investment group Finerge.
- Acted for Marguerite Adviser, the fund manager of the 2020 European Fund for Energy, Climate Change and Infrastructure (the Marguerite Fund), on the acquisition of two greenfield projects for the construction and operation of biomass power plants.
PLMJ offers support to major Portuguese and international companies on the full spectrum of energy and natural resources law. Clients not only seek advice in relation to regulatory issues and significant M&A transactions, but also engage the team in relation to energy infrastructure projects (covering upstream and downstream activities) and litigation. With broad capabilities across mining, oil and gas and renewable energy, the practitioners combine local and cross-border expertise and are proficient in energy and natural resources mandates involving African jurisdictions, notably Angola and Mozambique. Inês Pinto da Costa regularly handles cross-border matters in the areas of energy and PPP projects. The team was recently strengthened with the arrival of João Marques Mendes, who has in-depth knowledge of the renewable energy sector in Portugal.
Inês Pinto da Costa; João Marques Mendes
Other key lawyers:
Nuno Serrão Faria
‘Client focus and cross collaboration between teams. I would highlight their interest and availability for calls and conversation.’
‘I highlight the dimension and quality of the team, which covers all areas of law, and makes PLMJ capable of responding to all our needs. We have worked for many years with PLMJ, having personally collaborated with several partners, associates and lawyers. But in recent times we have been working mainly with Nuno Serrão Faria. He has advised us on M&A transactions, always with a high level of competence and professionalism.’
‘The interaction we had for some years with partner João Marques Mendes was frankly positive, in terms of knowledge and proactivity, recognising the high quality of the services provided. It should be noted that the collaboration provided was on a relatively “new ” subject in the National Energy System (Natural Gas Regulation).’
‘I highlight João Marques Mendes. In addition to a deep knowledge of the energy sector, his ability to respond to find solutions to complex challenges is excellent.’
‘João Marques Mendes has great knowledge in the area of energy and natural resources, as well as in M&A. He is always available, helpful and extremely dedicated to our projects.’
‘Nuno Serrão Faria proved to be fundamental in the support that PLMJ provided us. The team’s capabilities were enhanced by the hiring of João Marques Mendes.’
‘Joao Marques Mendes was the reference lawyer who successfully helped us in dealing with the engineering, construction and procurement project we were involved in within the energy sector.’
‘I want to highlight the professionalism, confidence and high quality of the work developed by João Marques Mendes in the areas of energy and environmental and industrial licensing. João Marques Mendes, with whom I had the opportunity to work in the last year, is a professional of excellence, dedicated, who responsibly assumes the commitments together with clients, dealing in detail with the requested matters, presenting innovative legal solutions that allow the client, considering the various hypotheses, adopt the one that will be the most beneficial within the context under analysis.’
Enerparc Projects GmbH
Ascendant Resources Inc.
- Advised Banco Sabadell on the project financing of two photovoltaic plants located in Portugal, totalling 49MWp and 23.39MWp.
- Assisted WElink Energy in the renegotiation of the sale of the Solara solar power plant with 218.8MW installed capacity, to Allianz Renewable Energy Partners through a share sale.
- Advised Enerparc Projects on the legal, tax and regulatory framework of the development of a total of six solar photovoltaic projects located in Portugal.
The energy practice at SRS Advogados is recognised for its wealth of experience in the oil and gas sector. Several active players in the renewable energy market in Portugal and abroad also seek the team's advice on regulation, litigation, investments and merger control, as well as licensing, generation and distribution issues. Co-head Gonçalo Anastácio, whose expertise covers competition and energy law, is the key point of contact in the department, which also includes Alexandre Roque.
Pedro Rebelo de Sousa; Gonçalo Anastácio
Other key lawyers:
Basel Agency for Sustainable Energy (BASE)
China Datang Corporation
EGEO – Tecnologia E Ambiente
Vinci Energies Group
W.A.G. Payment Solutions
- Advised Repsol on the new regulation regarding a solidarity tariff for LPG, which involved explaining the new regimen and concluding several contracts with the government and municipalities.
- Assisting Oceano Fresco with contracts and negotiations with two separate entities for the construction of the company’s state-of-the-art BioMarine Center (hatchery, labs and offices) in Nazaré, on the Atlantic coast of central Portugal.
- Advised W.A.G. Payment Solutions on its plans to introduce its fuel card business in Portugal, including liaisons with the Direção-Geral de Energia e Geologia (government) and ERSE (energy regulator).
Apart from its deep expertise in project finance and M&A in the energy sector, TELLES is also well versed in regulatory matters, licensing, public law and power purchase agreements. Also of note is the team's knowledge of environmental law; it is often retained to assist with environmental impact assessments, emission contracts and liability issues. Ivone Rocha has a strong practice in energy production project development and energy efficiency. She jointly leads the practice with Bruno Azevedo Rodrigues, who is a reference in project finance. Mariana Figueiredo is also active advising on the development of energy production projects.
Ivone Rocha; Bruno Azevedo Rodrigues
Other key lawyers:
Catarina Godinho e Santos; Mariana Figueiredo
‘The firm stands out for its close proximity to the client, comprehensive services and personalised advice. I would highlight Ivone Rocha and Mariana Figueiredo who are recommended for their knowledge and availability.’
‘Specialist knowledge on issues related to energy and ability to advise and support in the structuring of transactions. Fantastic response time.’
‘I particularly recommend Ivone Rocha and Mariana Figueiredo for their professionalism, specific knowledge and ability to respond to various requests.’larg
APREN – PORTUGUESE RENEWABLE ENERGY ASSOCIATION
PIONEER POINT PARTNERS LLP
OBERON INFRASTRUCTURE LLP
ISLAND RENEWABLE LTD
SUSI PARTNERS AG
ADE – AGENCIA DE ENERGIA DO PORTO
AREA METROPOLITANA DO PORTO
POWER & SOL
OBERON INFRASTRUCTURE ADVISORS
PARQUE EÓLICO DE MONCORVO
MUNICIPALITY OF VILA DO CONDE
MUNICIPALITY OF VILA REAL
MOÍNHOS DO OESTE
HEC – HIDROELÉTRICA DO CENTRO
PARQUE EÓLICO DE SÃO JOÃO
PORTUGUESE ENERGY EFFICIENCY FUND
NEW EDGE FUND
- Acting for Island Renewable in all stages of two greenfield projects (windfarms of 50MW and 10MW).
- Assisting NEOEN in all stages of the negotiation and acquisition of 49% of AURA Power’s operation in Portugal for the development and construction of solar plants with an overall capacity of 250MW.
- Advising TOTAL EREN on the acquisition of Group Novenergia, the fourth largest IPP operating in the renewable energy sector in Portugal.
Uría Menéndez – Proença Carvalho undertakes a variety of work pertaining to the electricity, gas distribution, LNG and wastewater sectors. The energy and natural resources practice, which is often retained by operators and banks, has been particularly active handling M&A deals involving renewable portfolios, as well as project finance and development, and regulatory matters. Practice head Bernardo Diniz de Ayala focuses on public law and projects, while João Louro e Costa excels in energy-related mandates, leading advice to most of the firm's longstanding clients in the sector.
Bernardo Diniz de Ayala
Other key lawyers:
João Louro e Costa
REN – Redes Energéticas Nacionais, SGPS, S.A.
BlackRock Investment Management (UK) Ltd.
Goldenergy – Comercializadora de Energia, S.A.
Axpo Iberia, S.L.
ECODEAL – Gestão de Resíduos Industriais, S.A.
- Advised Iberdrola on the solar PV capacity auctions which took place in Portugal in 2019 and in all stages of the project development of seven solar PV plants.
- Assisted Axpo Iberia in the structuring of multiple energy efficiency projects (e.g. supply of solar panels to industrial clients under the self-consumption legal framework).
- Assisted BlackRock in the acquisition from Exus Management Partners of two SPVs developing solar PV power plants with an installed capacity of 40MW.
Caiado Guerreiro undertakes transactional work involving the oil and gas, electricity and mining sectors, but is particularly active advising on regulatory matters, administrative proceedings and compliance issues. Department head Jorge Ribeiro Mendonça regularly assists with project development and transactions in the renewables space, namely those pertaining to solar and wind power technology.
Jorge Ribeiro Mendonça
‘The technical level of their professionals stands out in the sector. They provide accurate legal advice to international clients on complex legal issues. Clarity, accuracy, and promptness of response are some of the strengths of the team.’
‘Jorge Ribeiro Mendoça provides solid legal advice with accurate and practical solutions. Accuracy, availability, and legal advice for international clients are some of his strengths.’
‘Caiado Guerreiro aims to provide a personalised service. Lawyers have extensive experience and deep knowledge in matters related to energy transactions, more specifically, in the renewables sector.’
‘Jorge Ribeiro Mendonça is an excellent lawyer and negotiator. He is always exploring different perspectives aiming to find the solution in the interest of the client. Jorge is also fluent in English, which helps a lot.’
Ponticelli Freres Group
Dynavolt Renewables Energy Europe S.L.
Windward Investimentos, Lda.
- Advised Dynavolt on the negotiation and closing of the contracts for the acquisition, development and delivery of power regarding a PV plant seated in Évora.
- Assisted French hedge fund manager Rgreen Invest with the prospective financing, by its managed fund Infragreen, of the construction of a biomass power plant located in Portugal.
- Assisted Globescala in the structuring of a deal in respect of a joint venture for the production of a new type of non-pollution coal for domestic use.
Campos Ferreira, Sá Carneiro & Associados
The energy practice at DLA Piper ABBC has a strong track record in M&A, finance transactions and regulatory matters. Nuno Azevedo Neves, who has considerable experience in project finance, jointly oversees the team with Mafalda Ferreira. She is counsel of choice for public and private-sector clients in a range of investments, project development and administrative issues pertaining to the wastewater and energy sectors.
Nuno Azevedo Neves; Mafalda Ferreira
NORD/LB NORDDEUTSCHE LANDESBANK
EUROPEAN ENERGY EFFICIENCY FUND
- Advising Nord LB on a matter related to a €30m+ bridging finance secured against a 221MW solar project in Portugal.
- Assisting Eni in relation to a portfolio of greenfield solar projects with a total c. 350MW licensed capacity.
- Assisting CME in tax matters related to the wind farms owned by the group (a leading infrastructure player), including pending tax litigation on property tax of wind farms.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo has been particularly busy advising investors and bidders in the latest solar capacity auction. Advice on energy regulatory matters to companies with existing interests or looking to expand into the Portuguese market is also provided by the team. Luísa Carrilho da Graça leads on this type of work; she is often engaged to assist with M&A and finance transactions, as well as project development in the energy sector.
Luísa Carrilho da Graça
‘The Gomez-Acebo & Pombo team combines extensive sector knowledge in the field of energy with a high degree of professionalism and empathy towards the client. As a Spanish client, we have had the help of Gomez-Acebo & Pombo to develop our activity in Portugal and on many occasions they manage to convey the feeling that, more than an advisor, Gomez-Acebo & Pombo is a partner.’
‘In terms of individuals, Luísa Carrilho da Graça is the person we would like to have in any project that we undertake in Portugal.’
ENDESA ENERGÍA S.A., Sucursal em Portugal
Dos Grados Capital
- Advised Cubico on the acquisition of a 6.8MW operational, fixed-tilt, ground-mounted solar PV project located in the Algarve, Portugal.
- Assisted Foresight Group with the development of a 7.2MW subsidy-free solar photovoltaic power plant in one of the highest irradiation areas of the Iberian Peninsula (Alcácer do Sal, Portugal).
With a traditional focus on the oil and gas and mining sectors, Miranda & Associados is renowned for its longstanding presence in Africa. The team acts for foreign energy companies and domestic public institutions on regulatory matters, administrative proceedings and litigation, as well as M&A transactions and environmental law issues. Diogo Xavier da Cunha and Nuno Marques Antunes jointly lead the team, which also includes João Rosado Correia, who is experienced in EPC contracts and public procurement in the electricity and natural gas sectors.
Diogo Xavier da Cunha; Nuno Antunes
Other key lawyers:
João Rosado Correia
‘Miranda has collaborated with us on some projects related to the regulated electricity sector. I highlight the work conducted by partner João Rosado Correia, an excellent lawyer in this area of Law.’
‘João Rosado Correia has unrivalled knowledge of the sector.’
REN – Rede Eléctrica Nacional, S.A.
GALP Energia Group
Petróleos de Portugal – Petrogal, S.A.
CLC – Companhia Logística de Combustíveis, S.A.
Green Venture, SGPS, Lda
- Representing REN – Rede Eléctrica Nacional as co-respondent in a dispute concerning a power purchase agreement.
- Acting for Petróleos de Portugal – Petrogal in a litigation against the Portuguese government on the definition of the strike period of the Galp refineries.
- Acting as legal counsel to the Lisbon municipality in the renegotiation of municipal concessions for the distribution of electricity for the public illumination and domestic system.
Raposo Bernardo is retained by engineering companies, contractors, investment banks and promoters in a variety of energy and natural resources matters. Leading the practice are Nelson Raposo Bernardo and Júlio Martins Júnior, who both demonstrate extensive expertise in project financing and development, as well as licensing issues and energy-related M&A.
Nelson Raposo Bernardo; Júlio Martins Júnior
‘The quality of the service provided is very good. The main characteristics of the team are: excellent knowledge of the renewable and fossil energy sector; focus on problem solving; work capacity; ability to improvise, to react quickly and to resolve issues in very short timeframes.’
‘Nelson Raposo Bernardo is extremely charismatic and very pleasant to deal with. He has in-depth knowledge of the energy sector.’
‘Among others, there are two characteristics at Raposo Bernardo & Associados that captivate me a lot: the certainty and the quality of the work they undertake. Nelson Raposo Bernardo stands out. He is charismatic, intelligent, resilient, experienced and proactive. He is a brilliant arguer and speaker, knows how to delegate and create teams that later, according to his culture, will work alongside him. I also highlight Júlio Martins Júnior, who is extremely efficient at delivering results with the client in mind.’
‘Raposo Bernardo is an authority in the energy sector and their opinion is respected in the market. Lawyers are able to foresee the difficulties and possible blockages of each project and act quickly; they analyse everything in great detail and with extreme rigor. They have a culture of proactivity and are always available to help.’
‘Nelson Raposo Bernardo leads the department. In addition to his impressive legal and energy knowledge, he stands out for his dynamism and sense of leadership. He has significant international experience in the energy sector, both in Europe and in Africa. Júlio Martins Júnior is always available and very diligent.’
‘I highlight the sincerity in the opinions they give us, they are transparent and clear. They are compliant in terms of deadlines. I also really like their ability to always find a legal and adequate solution to problems. Nelson Bernardo is an outstanding lawyer, with fantastic qualities at all levels.’
‘Raposo Bernardo’s team always focuses on the relevant issues. It always ends up being our preferred law firm for energy matters. I highlight their attention to detail, proximity to the client, depth of analysis and the extreme rigor. In addition, they have exceptional contacts in the energy and financial sector, which has opened doors for us in project finance.’
‘The faces of the department are Nelson Raposo Bernardo and Júlio Martins Júnior. Nelson is an excellent negotiator with all parties. He is an extraordinary business lawyer and technically very good. Júlio has an impressive practice in our sector and that is why we have trusted him for many projects and he has managed to resolve issues quickly and effectively. He is a good negotiator.’
Sérvulo & Associados leverages its leading position in the public law field to assist clients in a wide range of regulatory matters. Recent mandates saw the team advise on issues pertaining to electric mobility and self-consumption of renewable energy. The team, which is also equipped to handle sector-related transactions and public procurement, is jointly led by Ana Luísa Guimarães and Mark Kirkby.
Mark Kirkby; Ana Luísa Guimarães
‘The services provided are of high quality and personalised. The team demonstrates a great capacity to know and understand the client’s business in its various aspects.’
‘This firm has been supporting us in specific issues pertaining to electric mobility. Ana Luísa Guimarães should be recognised for her experience in this field.’
‘Mark Kirkby is recommended for his strong knowledge of the sector and public law.’
EDP Global Solutions
Aguia Enlica, Lda.
- Assisted EDP Comercial in negotiating and contracting the installation and operation of production units for self-consumption with private stakeholders, in the context of the legal regime for collective self-consumption of renewable energy and renewable energy communities.
- Adivsed EDP Comercial on the preparation of the tender documents for the award of the framework agreement for the supply of photovoltaic modules in Portugal, Spain, Italy and Poland.
- Provided legal advice to EDP Comercial regarding the development of its activities and business opportunities within the context of the new legal framework applicable to electric mobility.