Employment in Portugal
DLA Piper ABBC excels in the full array of employment matters. Practice co-head Benjamim Mendes leads advice on employment issues in the scope of large cross-border M&A deals and projects. João Guedes stands out in the field of labour litigation as well as employment transactional work.
Benjamim Mendes; João Guedes
‘Always available to help to find a good solution for both parties.‘
‘Highly qualified team, with excellent legal skills. Top performers on responses and timing.‘
‘Benjamim Mendes is technically excellent, has longstanding experience in the field, and a great approach to negotiations.‘
Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados is noted for providing comprehensive advice on labour law, often handling corporate restructuring processes, collective dismissals, business transfers, as well as collective bargaining negotiations, among other matters. Companies operating in a range of sectors instruct the department on an ongoing basis; the firm is also well equipped to assist start-ups across the entire spectrum of non-contentious and litigious employment matters. Practice head Pedro Pardal Goulão has substantial experience in both individual and collective employment relationships. Corporate restructuring and collective dismissal matters are some of Luís Miguel Monteiro's notable areas of practice. Helena Tapp Barroso advises on commercial, civil and labour law, while Joana Almeida demonstrates expertise in the establishment of fringe benefit plans.
Pedro Pardal Goulão
- Advisors to Impresa Group on labour and social security issues; recent work included handling HR restructuring measures following the sale of Impresa’s magazine portfolio.
- Provides regular advice to Pfizer Group in Portugal on labour law and social security matters with major impact on human resources internal policies, including pending lawsuits.
- Advised Upfield (KKR) on the employment and social security aspects of the acquisition of Unilever’s spreads business in Portugal.
PLMJ offers advice on the gamut of labour issues, including litigation before the employment courts. Typical instructions include advising on the preparation of employment contracts, compensation policies, disciplinary proceedings, termination agreements, as well as foreign employees, restructuring and labour issues related to M&A. Tiago Cortes, who specialises in employment benefits, heads the department alongside Nuno Ferreira Morgado, whose areas of expertise include restructuring processes, privatisations as well as social security matters. Nuno Guedes Vaz is the name to note for collective bargaining.
Tiago Cortes; Nuno Ferreira Morgado
‘We highly value their expertise in terms of employment law and their ability to provide drafts, reports on potential risks and pitfalls in a comprehensive and extensive manner. Their prompt responses helped a lot in many circumstances when immediate answers were required.‘
‘As a team they complement themselves in order to support the client in the best, fastest and most efficient way. Their advice is more business oriented and more aligned with the company’s expectations while dealing with outside council.’
‘Pedro Rosa is one of the best lawyers we have ever worked with. His knowledge and expertise in the employment law field is significant. Pedro is very approachable and easy to work with and no case is too complex for him.‘
‘Nuno Ferreira Morgado is technically very competent, keeping the company’s characteristics and ambition always in mind.‘
‘Mariana Paiva is available at any time and works well under great pressure.‘
‘Nuno Ferreira Morgado is an extraordinary professional. With an extensive knowledge about the Portuguese legal market, he is a great communicator. He manages a formidable team that consistently meet or exceed expectations.‘
- Assisting some of the senior executives and a former member of the board involved in the collective dismissal carried out by a financial institution.
- Assisted Acciona, a conglomerate group dedicated to the development of renewable energy, in a collective redundancy impacting more than 100 employees at its Moura Plant.
- Assisting an international professional services group on compliance with harassment at work policies as well as litigation before the employment courts.
Fielding a team exclusively dedicated to employment law, SRS Advogados provides advice on the entire range of labour matters. The practice is led by César Sá Esteves, who additionally oversees the collective bargaining work, which entails strategic advisory and negotiation of collective disputes. Mariana Caldeira Sarávia focuses on corporate restructuring processes, outsourcing and HR due diligence, while employment litigation, labour administrative proceedings and disciplinary actions are Ana Luísa Beirão's key areas of practice. Drawing upon close relationships with international law firms, the department is actively involved in cross-border matters, advising multinational clients at a transactional and day-to-day advisory level; Maria de Lancastre Valente stands out for this type of work. Other typical instructions for the department include social security matters, pensions and benefits.
César Sá Esteves
‘SRS’s Employment Legal Team is highly qualified with a proven track record in Portugal. The knowledge and experience combined with total availably, results in strong added value and is clearly a relevant differentiation when compared to other firms.’
‘Knowledge, experience and high competence.‘
‘Ana Luisa Beirão shows a unique combination of technical knowledge, capacity to assess recent courts’ decisions and contextual relevant trends as well as a permanent availability and commitment to guide and reach customers’ expectations and needs.‘
‘Claudia Varela is someone who, not only is an expert in her domain, but is always attentive and presents good options in order to solve questions or problems related to labour law.‘
‘Claudia Varela has one skill that I think really makes the difference from other legal advices I’ve received in the past: she is super business-focused, can partner closely with executives’ ideas and responses.‘
FG Acta Group
Maisons du Monde
- Assisting ASF with the start of negotiations regarding collective bargaining agreements with three sector unions.
- Represented Banco Santander Totta in a harassment disciplinary procedure, following a claim against one of the bank’s agency managers.
- Assisting OGMA with the renegotiation of its collective bargaining agreements with all of the relevant unions.
Showcasing a strong track record in restructuring operations, CMS offers advice to clients across a variety of industries, namely financial services, insurance, hospitality, pharmaceuticals, transport and aviation. The team also excels in high-profile collective dismissal cases, demonstrating the ability to efficiently negotiate with unions and works councils. Susana Afonso Costa leads the practice; João Gomes is another key practitioner.
Combining expertise in multiple areas of labour and social security law, Cuatrecasas predominantly focuses on the employment aspects of M&A transactions and asset deals, including cross-border matters. The team is adept at advising clients from multiple sectors on collective employment relations and bargaining processes. Practice head Maria da Glória Leitão regularly assists on issues related to corporate restructuring, particularly through collective dismissals. Rui Vaz Pereira stands out for his extensive experience in labour litigation and collective agreement negotiations.
Maria da Glória Leitão
‘The team has comprehensive knowledge of labour law, providing prompt and practical responses.‘
‘Cuatrecasas stands out for its extensive knowledge and experience in labour matters and for the practical perspective applied to cases.‘
‘Despite the size of the firm, associates and partners have the ability to maintain a close relationship with clients. The team consistently provides advice adapted to the clients’ business reality.‘
‘What differentiates Cuatrecasas from other firms in the market is the close knitted relationships it fosters with clients, and the prompt and personalised service.‘
‘Rui Vaz Pereira, Telma Carvalho, Cristina Romariz are recommended.‘
DHL Group in Portugal (DHL Supply Chain/DHL Express/DHL Aviation)
CHP – Centro Hospitalar do Porto, E.P.E.
Santa Casa da Misericórdia do Porto
Servdebt – Capital Asset Management
SPA – Sociedade Portuguesa de Autores (Portuguese Authors’ Society)
Manuel Champalimaud Group
- Provides comprehensive general employment advice to JD Sports in issues related to employment and social security, including work schedules, drafting of employment contracts and disciplinary actions.
- Advising CHP- Centro Hospitalar do Porto in judicial proceedings involving 193 nurses with private labour contracts which claimed for wage differences in comparison to nurses with public contracts.
- Advising Sociedade Portuguesa de Autores on collective bargaining agreements with unions.
Fielding particular expertise in the automotive industry, Garrigues assists multinational companies on complex employment matters. The team excels in collective procedures, such as dismissals and transfers of undertakings, as well as advising on the implementation of outsourcing solutions. Social security law is another core area of the practice, which is led by Rui Valente, whose experience encompasses judicial proceedings, hiring of top management positions, pension schemes and Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) matters (TUPE). João Soares Almeida is proficient in restructuring procedures, including involving massive reductions in workforce.
Diam (part of OENEO Group)
Group Caixa Bank
Gestamp Automoción Group
Mystic Invest Group
Águas do Porto
- Multi-disciplinary support to a financial institution in the sale of a portfolio of real estate assets in which the situation of the involved employees was one of the most important and complex issues to address.
- Defending an automotive company against a claim regarding the alleged non-payment of shift allowance.
- Drafting and implementation of a comprehensive diversity plan for a retail company.
Employment is a core practice area at pbbr - Sociedade de Advogados RL, which is well equipped to advise on all areas related to human resources and labour law. The firm is integrated within the international legal alliance Ius Laboris, and regularly provides legal assistance in employment issues arising from M&A, business reorganisation and restructuring processes, including mass redundancies. National and cross-border transfers of undertakings as well as collective bargaining, due diligences and employment litigation also feature. The department is headed by employment law expert Inês Reis, and also counts Bruno Soeiro Barbosa, who is experienced in managing collective conflicts, and Inês Oom de Sacadura.
‘Lawyers are clear, transparent and very efficient (complying with time and requirements).‘
‘They do not leave matters unattended, and they communicate in mostly clear, straightforward terms. I would not hesitate to recommend their services.’
‘A team that plays ahead, knows what it has to do and, above all, does it well. It simplifies complex situations and also manifests enormous respect for all parties involved.‘
‘Inês Reis’s experience and ability to ‘read’ what’s going on in the market and predict future scenarios is outstanding. It is like having a captain who knows the destination and the best way to get there safely and in time.‘
‘Inês Sacadura is noted for her ability to synthesize and her communication skills. She simplifies matters to the essentials.’
‘Inês Sacadura is unfailingly thorough, prompt and extremely courteous. I have more recently worked with Bruno Barbosa and had a similar experience.‘
‘Bruno Barbosa is a spectacular negotiator. He considers all angles and analyses all hypotheses like a legal chess player.‘
ISS World Services
Cushman & Wakefield
Alkion (former LBC Tanquipor)
Johnson & Johnson Portugal
- Advised ETPRAM Empresa de Trabalho Portuário on industrial actions, namely a major strike initiated by docker employees, which had a significant impact in Madeira island.
- Assisting a pharmaceutical company with a moral harassment investigation, which was essential to prevent a breach of the group’s code of conduct.
- Advising Abanca on the impact on labour relations and collective bargaining application resulting from absorbing DB retail employees into a local Abanca structure.
Uría Menéndez – Proença Carvalho provides legal support in a range of contentious and advisory matters, including cross-border M&A and related employment issues, termination agreements, transfer of pension funds, TUPE and litigation, among others. The practice has been actively advising on pensions and restructuring procedures, with a particular emphasis in the banking and insurance industry. Head of department André Nascimento is seasoned in all aspects of employment matters, namely collective bargaining, litigation, data protection and social security law.
André Pestana Nascimento
WIZINK BANK, S.A.
Lone Star Group / Hudson Advisors
Italagro (Hit Group)
RTP – Rádio e Televisão de Portugal
Axpo Iberia, S.L.
Viajes Barceló, S.A
Carval Investors, UK
Liberty Seguros, Compañia de Seguros
Reaseguros, S.A. – Sucursal em Portugal
Banco BIC Português, S.A.
- Represented Barclays Bank in the employment and pension aspects related to the transfer of the business of the Portuguese branch of Barclays UK to the newly incorporated Portuguese branch of Barclays Ireland.
- Legal advisor to Liberty Seguros in Spain and Portugal on all regulatory, corporate, tax and labour law matters arising from the cross-border merger between Liberty Seguros Spain, Liberty Portugal and Liberty Ireland DAC.
- Representing a client in a legal dispute against the Employment Ministry concerning certain interpretations by the latter of the TUPE provisions.
VDA has wide-ranging experience in employment matters, advising on class actions, collective dismissals and collective bargaining agreements. The department is particularly active acting for clients in the insurance industry, but lawyers also offer labour law assistance to high-profile players from several sectors on a day-to-day basis. Rui Andrade - who is noted for his knowledge of labour matters in African jurisdictions - leads the practice, which is also adept at advising on transfer of employees, redundancies, benefits and litigation. Américo Oliveira Fragoso is experienced across all areas of labour and social security law, while Tiago Cochofel de Azevedo focuses on restructuring processes. Corporate labour is one of Tiago Pilós specialisms.
‘Highly experienced lawyers.‘
‘Rui Andrade is highly professional and experienced. He has comprehensive knowledge of the Oil & Gas industry and he tries to understand the clients and their needs, and propose different and alternative solutions.‘
‘Deep knowledge of employment legislation and litigation proceedings in several jurisdictions.‘
‘The firm has a high degree of specialisation and a deep knowledge of local realities in Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa. Lawyers find solutions that are effectively targeted to the clients’ needs.‘
‘VdA is a law firm that brings together a wide range of legal practices. It is a clear advantage that they can analyse a legal issue from a variety of perspectives in an integrated manner.‘
‘Rui Andrade is an excellent strategist, technically very solid and versatile, capable of designing solutions in various areas of law with a high level of sophistication. Very persuasive and with an enormous ability to simplify seemingly complex situations.‘
‘Bruno Melo Alves is a very consistent, competent and efficient lawyer.‘
‘Américo Oliveira Fragoso constantly seeks to understand the organisational reality, and stands out for advising and looking for solutions that mitigate risk.‘
Equatorial Coca-Cola Bottling Company S.L. (ECCBC)
Bristol-Myers Squibb Portugal
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Sport Lisboa e Benfica, SAD (SLB)
Porsche Holdings GmbH
Diplomatic Representation of Angola
Mitsubishi Fuso Trucks Europe
Socer Imobiliária e Investimentos, S.A.
Svitzer Portugal (Portuguese company of Svitzer International Group)
Insolvency Estate of SRUCP
- Assisting Equatorial Coca-Cola Bottling Company on the restructuring of its business activity in Cabo Verde, including labour and HR matters.
- Assisting TECHNIP ANGOLA in a redundancy procedure covering 41 employees.
- Advised Bristol-Myers Squibb Portugal / Merck Sharp & Dohme / Novartis on their internal restructuring procedures, involving more than 70 employees.
Abreu Advogados offers legal advice to clients in relation to all matters and operations concerning employment, as well as representation in litigation cases before the labour and higher courts. Typical instructions include individual recruitment (including foreign hires and senior management), collective bargaining arrangements, human resources matters, as well as lay-off procedures, collective dismissals, and providing employment advice pertaining to transactional matters. The department is jointly led by Carmo Sousa Machado and Patrícia Perestrelo, who is an expert in corporate restructuring matters involving labour issues. Labour regulation and human resources are some of Sofia Silva e Sousa's core areas of practice. Madalena Caldeira and Ana Manuela Barbosa are other names to note.
Carmo Sousa Machado; Patrícia Perestrelo
‘A very strong and diverse team with an outstanding credibility level.‘
‘Pragmatic approach to matters, combined with substantial expertise in employment law matters, including in respect of court proceedings. Excellent judgement as to how to best handle an issue.‘
‘They have a good practical approach to problems.‘
‘They are top-level individuals as professionals and also on an interpersonal level. Armando Martins Ferreira is an amazing professional and first-rate legal advisor. Carmo Sousa Machado is an authority in Labour Law and a reference in the market.‘
‘Madalena Caldeira has an outstanding understanding of the client’s needs, is highly capable and cooperative, and has excellent judgement. She shows an outstanding level of availability and is, even under tremendous stress, always calm and collected.‘
BILFINGER, S.E. and BILFINGER PREFAL
Clube Naval de Cascais
Colt Technology Services
CTT – Correios de Portugal
Expeditors International of Washington, Inc.
FedEx Express Europe
Groupe SEB Ibérica
Hidden Hearing Portugal
Imperial Produtos Alimentares
NEWREST INTERNATIONAL GROUP
OGMA – INDÚSTRIA AERONÁUTICA DE PORTUGAL, S.A.
SAMVARDHANA MOTHERSON PEGUFORM AUTOMOTIVE PORTUGAL
Tata Consulting Services
Tomtom Sales B.V.
- Daily assistance to Newrest International Group on all employment matters including in situations of strike, labour litigation and files of an administrative nature resulting from inspections.
- Assistance to Alstom Portugal regarding the labour restructuring executed in the context of closure of its activity, which included the closure of the activity of a factory located in Setubal.
- Assisted BC Group on a restructuring process following the close of one of the company’s departments.
Albuquerque & Almeida is well equipped to handle collective bargaining, dismissal agreements, senior executive matters, as well as employment issues related to M&A transactions. Corporate restructuring is another area of activity for the department, which is co-led by João Salvador. Salvador has experience advising domestic and international companies operating in the chemicals, automotive and shipping sectors.
João Salvador; Leonor Barata; Ana Batista Borges
Asea Brown Bovery
- Acted for Bondalti Chemicals in the restructuring of Innovnano, which included successfully leading the negotiation of collective dismissal with employees.
- Advised ATM during an 18-month negotiation regarding a collective agreement with Trade Unions for the Portuguese Airports (SITAVA), for the establishment of new working conditions for ATM’s employees in Portuguese airports.
- Advises ANTRAM – Association of Employers of Road Transporters in matters related to the truck drivers’ strike in August 2019.
Campos Ferreira, Sá Carneiro & Associados
Campos Ferreira, Sá Carneiro & Associados' service offering encompasses day-to-day advisory, legal support in relation to employment issues pertaining to transactions and litigation. Pedro Furtado Martins heads the department, which handles individual and collective employment relationships, social security matters and restructuring procedures, among other matters.
FCB Sociedade de Advogados is regularly retained by multinational and Portuguese companies, which seek the team's advice in relation to day-to-day employment issues and contentious labour matters. Inês Albuquerque e Castro coordinates the employment, benefits and pensions department, which is experienced in restructuring processes, collective dismissals as well as transfers of undertakings. The team is also adept at handling cross-border matters, often in conjunction with international law firms.
Inês Albuquerque e Castro
‘The team always tries to think out of the box. The firm combines legal knowledge with outstanding interpersonal skills.‘
‘Lawyers are very flexible. They always adopt a business approach, aligning the legal answer with our business’s interests.‘
‘Inês Albuquerque e Castro and Pedro Guimarães – both have been outstanding in legal matters and as individuals.‘
‘Inês Albuquerque e Castro is always available (eg, when we have an urgent issue to solve). Her high level of legal knowledge and her practical vision of our business should be highlighted.‘
Rentokil / Cannon Hygiene
Amplifon / MiniSom
Globalvia (Scutvias, Portvias and MRN)
Viva Gym Group
- Assisted Santillana on the preparation of a collective redundancy involving almost 70 employees, as well as on its implementation.
- Represented Santillana, as defendant, in a labour lawsuit filed by three employees.
- Advising Cabify on two collective redundancies, which involved almost the total headcount of the company.
With specialised expertise in the financial sector, the employment team at Linklaters offers advice on a wide spectrum of related matters, such as hiring and dismissal procedures, including involving senior management and board members, as well as collective labour agreements and disciplinary procedures. Transactional work - particularly cross-border - is one of the key strengths of the department, which also handles transfer processes, contract termination and employment litigation. Leading the team is social security and labour law expert Marta Afonso Pereira, who receives key support from Sílvia Pinheiro Esteves.
Marta Afonso Pereira
‘Linklaters use their expertise and efficiency to solve complex legal situations. They have a high technical performance and they are excellent in communicating with clients.‘
‘The team has vast experience in restructuring matters with the ability to advise on all aspects, from external communications to local union behaviour and negotiation tactics. Excellent capability, flexibility and speed of response.‘
‘The team at Linklaters has a great and true concern in solving the problems of its clients, always in strict compliance with the law.‘
‘They stand out for their prompt replies, depth of research and very good knowledge of laws.’
‘The team is of hugely available and accessible and has a high level of expertise and professional experience.’
‘The experience we have had so far with Linklaters and its professionals is based on an excellent communication, focus and professionalism. They have an excellent ability to identify problems and develop appropriate solutions.’
‘Marta Pereira is a very good lawyer, with solid technical knowledge, very attentive to detail and who inspires confidence. The negotiations between employment lawyers was easy and objective, precisely due to the practical approach and knowledge of the law evidenced by Marta Pereira, with the support of Sílvia Esteves.’
‘Marta Pereira is an outstanding individual and a company’s trusted guide in any restructuring matter. She is able to always point out the essence while offering insight in all side aspects as well in order to fine-tune strategy.‘
‘I would like to mention Marta Pereira and Sílvia Esteves, who stand out for their attention to the client.’
‘Sílvia Pinheiro Esteves’ strengths lie in her availability, ease of contact, close follow-up and quick response to requests.’
ORDU YARDIMLASMA KURUMU (OYAK)
Ordem dos Contabilistas Certificados (OCC)
3angle Capital, S.A.
Permira Asesores, S.L.U.
Novo Banco, S.A.
- Advised Ideal Standard in the total closure of its factory in Portugal, which included a complex collective dismissal of 73 employees.
- Advised Oitante on the labour aspects of the sale of 100% of the share capital of Banif – Banco de Investimento to Bison Capital Financial Holdings.
- Represented Ordem dos Contabilistas Certificados, the Portuguese bar of accountants, in litigation in which a senior employee challenged a return to a previous role.
SLCM | Serra Lopes, Cortes Martins & Associados takes a preventative approach, often working closely on a day-to-day basis with clients to ensure human resources compliance issues are met. Key work includes handling collective bargaining negotiations, restructuring processes, collective redundancies as well as labour relations disputes, in which the team offers representation to employers and employees in labour judicial proceedings. The practice is under the joint leadership of Ines Pinheiro and Martim Anahory, who advise domestic clients and multinationals. Tiago Pestana de Vasconcelos is the name to note for matters pertaining to the media, healthcare and food and beverage industries.
Inês Pinheiro; Martim Anahory
‘SLCM provides excellent labour advice. The staff is always available, including weekends, with a quick and detailed response to business needs.‘
‘The firm is unique in terms of the quality of its service and the way in which it approaches situations in true partnership with clients, being able to understand our needs and match them with legal and contractual compliance.‘
‘Flexibility, pragmatism, sensitivity to business issues (answers are presented with this principle in mind).‘
‘Inês Pinheiro and Ângela Afonso have a deep knowledge of Portuguese labour law. This, coupled with their experience in business management issues, enables them to offer valuable and practical advice that is critical to the production of management decisions.‘
‘Inês Pinheiro is characterised by a strong knowledge in labour law, which, combined with her experience in the field of human resources management, gives her unique qualities in understanding problems and finding appropriate solutions that respect legal compliance seeking to safeguard our interests.‘
‘Tiago Pestana de Vasconcelos has a great knowledge of Portuguese labour law.‘
Global Media Group
Nutrinveste (Sovena Group)
Sociedade Central de Cervejas (Heineken Group)
ATM Assistência Total em Manutenção
Lisnave – Estaleiros Navais
- Provides regular legal advice to Nutrinveste SGPS on day to day issues regarding general HR legal assistance, such as employment contracts, labour relations and HR legal policies.
- Advised ATM – Assistência Total em Manutenção on various employment matters, including terminations of contracts and several disciplinary procedures.
- Provides regular legal advice to SCC- Sociedade Central de Cervejas (Heineken Group) regarding general HR legal matters.
Caiado Guerreiro offers ongoing services pertaining to employment issues and represents clients in litigation before the labour courts. Ricardo Rodrigues Lopes heads the department, which is instructed by domestic and foreign clients in matters such as restructuring processes, termination of agreements (including with senior executives), outsourcing, employee benefits, pensions and flexibility of contracts. Jorge Ribeiro Mendonça has significant experience in personnel streamlining processes, both at administrative and judicial levels.
Ricardo Rodrigues Lopes
‘The personal involvement of the lawyers in the matters, their availability and swift reaction when problems arise is determining in providing fast and good quality legal solutions to company matters.‘
‘The team is very competent and agile.‘
‘Competence, professionalism, quick support and friendly manner.‘
‘João Caiado Guerreiro it a top-notch lawyer.’
‘João Caiado Guerreiro, Ricardo Rodrigues Lopes, Sara Sousa Rebolo are the partners and associates with whom we have had the privilege of interacting.‘
Avis Budget Group
April / Axeria
- Represented Olympus in a long-standing litigation in the labour courts against a former director, where the director claimed an indemnity exceeding €5m against a few of Olympus’ subsidiaries.
- Assisted United Airlines in the creation and implementation of a new alcohol, drugs and medicines use policy, which complies with the internal aviation regulations.
- Assisted a company in the insurance and reinsurance sector with a complex labour matter involving Brexit, the provision of insurance and reinsurance services based on the freedom of services principle (passport) and Portuguese insurance regulatory matters.
CCA Law Firm helps clients tackle a whole spectrum of employment issues, with advice covering disciplinary procedures, termination agreements, compensation and benefits policies, as well as collective bargaining, moral harassment matters and litigation. The practice, which has a wealth of experience acting in restructuring processes, is also commended for its expertise in sports recruitment and start-ups. Head of department Pedro Antunes, who has been involved in several TUPE procedures on behalf of various companies following Brexit, is the key point of contact.
L`Occitane En Provence
HP CDS – Customer Delivery Services Portugal
- Worked with Europcar to implement a share plan for all group employees in 10 countries.
- Working with an international firm to prepare and assist the restructuring of HISCOX Corporate Group by setting up new companies and providing advice on the transfer of employees to the new companies through multiple TUPE procedures.
- Advised Havas on a restructuring process.
Miranda & Associados
Miranda & Associados advises on labour and social security due diligence in relation to company acquisitions and mergers, corporate restructuring in the context of collective redundancies and transfers of undertakings and standardisation of working conditions. Head of department Diogo Leote Nobre stands out for his track record in labour litigation, while Paula Caldeira Dutschmann provides ongoing assistance to clients on employment and social security matters.
‘Miranda’s various areas/departments work hastily, in order to merge the various approaches in our favour. This is visible especially in the employment team, where Diogo Leote Nobre manages to bring together several members of other Miranda departments to provide the best service.‘
‘Diogo Leote Nobre knows us, deals directly with our legal department, and visits us often to prepare judgements and various court proceedings. This makes the service highly personalized and allows Diogo Leote Nobre and his team to know our reality and how we act and work daily.‘
Smm – Sociedade De Montagens Metalomecânicas
Banco Santander Totta
Spms – Serviços Partilhados Do Ministério Da Saude, Ip
Orange Business Portugal
Fundação José De Almeida Eusébio
Apra Hill (Grupo José Fino)
Associação Jardins-Escola João De Deus
- Day-to-day assistance to FALCK SCI PORTUGAL – SEGURANÇA CONTRA INCÊNDIOS in matters of labour and social security, advising the client in disciplinary proceedings and in negotiations with the trade union.
- Representing SPMS – SERVIÇOS PARTILHADOS DO MINISTÉRIO DA SAÚDE in three judicial proceedings arising from the termination of employment contracts.
- Assisting José de Almeida Eusébio Foundation (Ave Maria School) in the context of proceedings of termination of employment contract and alteration or regularisation of working conditions.
Raposo Bernardo undertakes both employment litigation and advises companies from a range of sectors on related compliance matters. Ana Cláudia Rangel leads the department, which demonstrates experience across collective agreements, outsourcing, business transfers, disciplinary procedures and collective dismissals, among other areas.
Ana Cláudia Rangel
‘Raposo Bernardo is excellent, both in day-to-day advisory, disciplinary proceedings and labour litigation. It has a very experienced and available labour team.‘
‘A helpful team whose results always exceed my expectations.‘
‘All the lawyers are technically very good and always available. In addition, they are very knowledgeable about our industry and the most pressing needs of the company.‘
‘Our company has been working with this firm for decades and the best compliment I can make is that we have changed business partners in all areas except in the area of legal advice.‘
‘Lawyers have the ability to find a solution to all the questions which are posed to them and to this day they have always managed to win all employment disputes on our behalf.‘
‘The team not only knows the laws, it also knows how to deal with people and the problems of business life.‘
‘Ana Cláudia Rangel has great technical knowledge, is dedicated, helpful, humble, firm and rigorous in the analyses she makes. Over the years we have had very complex issues in the workplace and the results have always been excellent.‘
‘Ana Cláudia Rangel is an intelligent and keen lawyer in both problem solving and prevention.‘
‘Besides being a partner who knows everything there is to know about employment issues, Ana Cláudia Rangel is very dynamic and proactive. She is a lawyer with a lot of experience in negotiating collective bargaining.‘
- Advised a client on the hiring legal procedures of 200 new highly qualified engineers to work in an automobile factory.
- Assisting a client with a restructuring involving the downsizing of 300 workers in several delegations and new hiring of 100 workers for other delegations.
- Advised a client on various labour issues, providing legal support in critical areas linked to strict compliance ethics within the pharmaceutical industry, employee benefit plans and high-value professionals condition packages.
AAA Advogados covers a broad spectrum of employment work, demonstrating strength in restructuring processes, disciplinary procedures, labour audits, as well as hiring strategies, collective dismissals and litigation. Leonor Francisco, who draws on 11 years of experience in labour law, oversees the department.
Dia Portugal – Supermercados, Sociedade Unipessoal, Lda
Dekra Automotive, S.A.
BBDO Portugal – Agência de Publicidade, S.A.
SGAL – Sociedade Gestora da Alta de Lisboa, S.A.
Astrolabe – Fabricação de Implantes Médicos, Lda
Observit – Tecnologias de Visão por Computador, S.A.
Gerihomes – Gestão e Comercialização de Serviços de Apoio Geriátrico, S.A.
Alma Mollemans Photography, Lda
Herdade dos Arrochais – Sociedade Agrícola, Lda
- Advising Dia Portugal on an ongoing basis in relation to employment matters, such as a restructuring process, disciplinary procedures and dismissals.
- Assisting BBDO Portugal with the hiring and internal restructuring of human resources, as well as implementation of GDPR measures and compliance.
- Advising Observit on personnel restructuring, including the termination of employment contracts.
Andersen Tax and Legal | NGMS – Sociedade de Advogados
Combining technical knowledge with practical experience, Andersen Tax and Legal | NGMS – Sociedade de Advogados has a strong profile in labour litigation, acting for clients at all levels of the Portuguese court system, while also providing ongoing advice to various corporate human resources departments. Labour litigator José Mota Soares leads the practice, which is well versed in collective negotiations, restructuring operations, termination of employment contracts, dismissal of senior employees and the creation of remuneration policies.
José Mota Soares
‘The team provides valuable assistance in collective and individual dismissals, work contracts, court trials as well as general labour law matters. They are always available, handle issues quickly and are efficient in finding the best solutions.‘
‘Lawyers are pragmatic, creative, respond quickly and are dedicated to the client.‘
‘Technical knowledge about the areas where they operate, commitment to procedural deadlines.‘
‘José Mota Soares is a respected litigator in court and a notable name in the market.‘
‘Fernando Mota Soares offers efficient advice in HR, collective bargaining and industrial relations, as well as judicial proceedings in the labour courts and labour administrative litigation.‘
‘The team stands out for its availability, solid training, communication skills and emotional intelligence.‘
Grupo Media Capital, SGPS, S.A.
Plural Entertainment Portugal, S.A
Joshua’s Shoarma Grill Group
Konica Minolta Business Solutions Portugal
Veolia Portugal, S.A.
EMAV – Empresa de Meios Audiovisuais, Lda.
NOWO – Communications, S.A.
ONITELECOM – Infocomunicações, S.A.
ANIECA – Associação Nacional de Escolas de Condução Automóvel
Rádio Comercial, S.A.
SPC – Serviço Português de Contentores, S.A.
SAPEC Química, S.A.
SAFIRA Derichebourg Facility Services
Associação Nacional de Empresas de Segurança (AESIRF)
Rádio Regional de Lisboa, S.A.
SERLIMA TARGET – Empresa de Trabalho Temporário, Soc. Unipessoal, Lda
ISS Facility Services
IOL Negócios – Serviços de Internet, S.A.
WESTPROOF – Sistemas de Impermeabilização, Lda.
FCA Capital Portugal
SERLIMA WASH II – Lavandaria Industrial, S.A.
- Represented NOWO in a €2m collective dismissal process involving 22 workers.
- The firm, on behalf of a client, filed an opposition to the draft notice of extension of the amendments to the collective agreement between it and a union.
- Represents Veolia in a lawsuit filed by an employee regarding credits for alleged overtime work and salary differences due.
APTS - Alves Pereira & Teixeira de Sousa, S.P., R.L. often advises its corporate clients on employment law matters. The service offering includes the preparation and negotiation of different types of employment contracts, dismissal processes, labour-related restructuring matters as well as pensions, compensation plans and social security issues. João Alves Pereira heads the department, which is also well equipped to act for domestic and multinational companies in labour judicial proceedings.
João Alves Pereira
Interpublic Group of Companies
Intelligent Apps GmbH
IPG Mediabrands Portugal
Rentokil Initial Portugal
ILV Silver Transactions
- Assisting IPG Mediabrands with the negotiation of the termination of several employment contracts entered into by its Portuguese subsidiaries.
- Revising employment contracts with the employees of the Portuguese agencies of IPG Mediabrands.
- Preparing memo for a client on the applicable notice periods in cases of resignation by employees and redundancy by the employers.
In addition to providing consultancy services on a daily basis to Portuguese and international clients, the labour department at Espanha e Associados also demonstrates strength in restructuring processes, including collective dismissals. Clients from a range of industry sectors, notably hospitality, food and beverages, financial services, insurance and IT, also seek the team's representation in contentious labour matters. Head of department Luís Almeida Carneiro is noted for his experience in employment issues arising in M&A deals. The practice was strengthened by the arrival of Filipa Botelho Moniz, whose specialisms include labour litigation and social security law.
Luís Almeida Carneiro
‘They are very accessible and attentive to our needs.‘
‘What makes this office and labour team unique is the ability to clearly communicate ideas, the rapid response and close monitoring of the situation by responsible lawyers.‘
‘The solutions we are offered correspond exactly to our needs because we feel there is a concern to know the customer and our sector of activity.‘
‘The quality of work in terms of restructuring, human resources planning and collective redundancies is excellent and fast.‘
‘Luís Almeida Carneiro stands out for his personality, posture, knowledge, simplicity, the detail with which he addresses and clarifies any legal issue.‘
‘Luís Almeida Carneiro has great practical experience and academic connections which gives us guarantees and confidence.‘
‘Filipa Botelho Moniz has strong strategic capacity in conducting legal proceedings. The whole team is strong.‘
Portugália Restauração S.A.
Fitness Hut, S.A.
Nimble Portal – Serviços e Consultoria de Gestão, Lda.
Le Cheque Dejeuner Portugal, S.A.
Companhia de Investimentos Hoteleiros D. Carlos, S.A.
Arval Service Lease – Aluguer e Gestão Automóvel
Nata da Nata, Lda.
Cardif Services, AEIE
Marmequer, S.A. (Upon Lisbon)
GDA – Cooperativa de Gestão dos Direitos dos Artistas
Tempus Internacional – Importação de Relojoaria, S.A
- Assisted Fitness Hut in the collective dismissal of 42 employees.
- On behalf of Portugália Restauração Group, carried out an employment law audit as well as an audit report which addressed some of the company’s human resources situations.
- Assisting Tempus Internacional -Importação de Relojoaria with a restructuring process.
Filipe Azoia & Associados
Filipe Azoia & Associados provides legal assistance in employment matters, ranging from hiring procedures, social security and pension funds, as well as dismissals. Corporate restructuring and labour litigation are other areas of activity for the team.
JPAB - José Pedro Aguiar-Branco Advogados
JPAB - José Pedro Aguiar-Branco Advogados' employment department is internally organised by sectors of expertise, covering matters across labour contracts, posting of workers, collective bargaining, social security, outsourcing as well as human resources and public employment (civil service). Typical instructions also include labour consultancy, litigation and advising on workplace accidents. Pedro Botelho Gomes has demonstrable experience in large-scale restructuring, while Joana Carneiro stands out for her expertise in work accidents in the sports sector.
Pedro Botelho Gomes; Joana Carneiro
‘The team understands our activity which makes it easier to solve problems. Lawyers quickly answer our questions and our needs.‘
‘The main strengths of the services provided by JPAB are: follow-up of matters, speed of response and dedication of lawyers.‘
‘My experience with JPAB Lawyers in Employment is excellent. The team understands problems immediately, providing prompt responses and efficient solutions.‘
‘JPAB combines the proximity and empathy to the customer that boutique firms do, with a capacity and quality of response that compares well to larger firms.‘
‘In general, all the lawyers we interact with demonstrate professional competence and commitment, which is why we have maintained and strengthened our collaboration over the years.‘
‘Pedro Botelho Gomes and Joana Carneiro are recommended. The professionalism, dedication, availability and quality of response to the various requests, stand out.‘
‘Joana Carneiro is a very well-prepared lawyer. She understands the problems quickly, and is always up-to-date concerning the law. She doesn’t lose herself in technicalities and always provides legal solutions in short time frames.‘
‘Pedro Botelho Gomes, Sofia Barros Ferreira and Joana Carneiro’s main qualities are availability and commitment to fulfil each task successfully.‘
Restructuring matters and employment issues surrounding M&A transactions are the core areas of activity for the employment team at Macedo Vitorino & Associados. The department further covers negotiation of employment agreements, lay-offs, collective bargaining, labour litigation and social security issues, to name a few areas. Guilherme Machado Dray oversees the team alongside Inês Coelho Simões, whose practice takes in labour law, litigation and data protection.
Guilherme Machado Dray; Inês Coelho Simões
‘Very strong team with extensive knowledge of employment law in Portugal.‘
‘The firm has a very proactive way of working, establishing the scenario and the different potential outcomes. The team responded promptly to queries and was extremely available during the process.‘
‘Both Guilherme Dray and Joana Fuzeta da Ponte were extremely professional. The team’s negotiation skills are very good as well. There was a permanent concern of keeping the client informed of the different directions the process could take.‘
Domestic and multinational companies from a variety of sectors seek PRA-Raposo, Sá Miranda & Associados, Sociedade de Advogados SP RL’s legal support on a wide spectrum of employment matters, including advisory work and litigation procedures before all courts in Portugal. Areas of expertise include collective bargaining agreements, M&A transactions, staff restructuring, dismissals as well as social security issues. Joana de Sá, whose experience covers both litigation and non-contentious matters, leads the practice group.
Joana de Sá
‘The team is able to provide a complete response to customer requests. There is a strong dedication and commitment to resolving customer issues.‘
‘They have a very good know-how of the legislation and are always available.‘
‘The team’s key strength is its ability to understand clients’ context and business.‘
‘Lawyers are approachable and easy to reach.‘
DECSIS – SISTEMAS DE INFORMAÇÃO, SA
DECUNIFY – SOLUÇÕES DE TELECOMUNICAÇÕES, SA
HOUSE OF PROJECTS, SA
NO LESS, SA
Sérvulo & Associados offers legal advice on a variety of matters relating to individual and collective working relations, including restructurings, transfer of employees, employment contracts as well as benefit plans. The practice group is also experienced at advising on multi-jurisdictional issues. Recently promoted Rita Canas da Silva, whose experience covers collective bargaining, disciplinary proceedings and public sector employment, co-leads the department with Margarida Costa Gomes, who joined following the integration of Anselmo Vaz, Afra & Associados - Sociedade de Advogados, R.L.
Rita Canas da Silva; Margarida Costa Gomes
‘Excellent combination of academic insight and practical expertise.’
‘Pragmatic and very thorough advice and support.’
‘Very professional team and good coordination.’
‘The Employment team of Sérvulo & Associados provides efficient and straight to the point advice.’
‘Rita Canas da Silva is an excellent lawyer. She combines legal expertise with great client care skills.’
‘Rita Canas da Silva is an exceptional professional who is able to combine deep academic insight and practical expertise.’
‘Deep knowledge of the subjects and thorough preparation of the opinions.’
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL – FUTEBOL, SAD
Petrogal – Petróleos de Portugal, S.A.
TEVA-PHARMA, Produtos Farmacêuticos, Lda.
PRA – Internacional, Portugal, Unipessoal, Lda.
- Representing Sporting Clube de Portugal in several legal proceedings against football players who unilaterally breached their employment contracts, as well as against their new clubs.
- Assisting PRA-Internacional, Portugal in labour-related matters, including employment contracts and terminations, annual leave, sabbaticals, changes of workplace and all matters related to daily HR management.