At CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang Pośniak i Bejm sp.k., the energy and natural resources team is led by Marcin Bejm. The team advises on the exploration of minerals, industrial investment processes and the parameters of Poland's state aid support system. It also has strength advising on regulatory and trading issues, which includes assistance with negotiating agreements and handling the acquisition of technology licences and EPC contracts. The group is also able to utilise wider expertise in environmental law to assist with climate change covering CO₂ emissions (EU ETS), groundwater contamination, noise and REACH. Tomasz Minkiewicz, Łukasz Szatkowski, Piotr Ciołkowski and Agnieszka Skorupińska are other names to note.
Energy and natural resources in Poland
Other key lawyers:
Tomasz Minkiewicz, Łukasz Szatkowski; Piotr Ciołkowski; Agnieszka Skorupińska
‘Very responsive team, with good engagement from both associates and partners. Very pragmatic in their approach and quick to identify key issues and identify solutions.’
‘Agnieszka Skorupinska is the best in Poland in that sector and she is close to business. She analyses the case from different perspectives and she is able to connect dots from different areas [tax, administrative, construction, operations] to provide the proper advice. Excellent coordinator for international legal projects (East and Central Europe). ’
‘They have extensive legal knowledge and great understanding of various aspects of environmental protection in many different sectors. They combine high legal standards with a pro-business approach and are able to propose solutions that meet both high standards of compliance with environmental protection law and practical from the business point of view. As a team, they are proactive and responsive. You can count on their advice even in complicated situations.’
‘ I work mainly with Agnieszka Skorupinska and her team. I highly appreciate their legal skills, knowledge and commitment. Agnieszka is a person whose advice you can always count on – both when it comes to finding the best legal solutions and suggestions of a business nature. She is a very proactive, committed person looking for non-standard solutions. I have been cooperating with Agnieszka for many years. During this period, I was involved in various sectors where environmental protection is of key importance and I could always count on her support.’
‘I would like to express my opinion abut Lukasz Szatkowski, the partner I worked on various occasions. Lukasz is a very dedicated person and focused on his tasks. He is also a very open-minded, experienced, and skilful lawyer. What I value most about him is that he is anticipating all sorts of risks, not only from the area of his specialization but as well from other law areas. It is a great pleasure to work with Lukasz and his team. ’
‘They are definitely one of the leading law firms in the energy sector in Poland. I can definitely recommend them.’
‘Piotr Ciolkowski is one of the sector’s leading individuals. He has a long track record in both market regulation and contracts. I have done one major transaction in the conventional sector with him and it was a very good experience. I also note that he has been very busy with renewables in particular offshore recently‘.
‘Piotr Ciołkowski – He is an expert in energy regulation. He covers both conventional and renewable energy. I like his business approach to solving legal problems. I think he shall move up in the ranks‘.
PKN Orlen SA
Grupa LOTOS SA
Grupa Azoty SA
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne SA (PSE)
Polish Development Fund (PFR)
Central European Petroleum
Stadtwerke München GmbH
Macquarie Capital/Green Investment Group
MEAG MUNICH ERGO Assetmanagement
- Advised Grupa Azoty Polyolefins SA (a company from the Azoty Group) on the Polimery Police project, consisting of the development and construction of a propane dehydrogenation plant (PDH), a polypropylene production plant (PP), a handling and storage terminal (for propane and ethylene), together with logistics infrastructure and auxiliary units.
- Advised Signify Netherlands on the purchase of renewable energy from Green Investment Group (GIG) under a virtual corporate power purchase agreement (VPPA).
- Advised PSE on negotiating a cooperation agreement with LITGRID AB, a Lithuanian transmission system operator, for the construction of Harmony Link, a new submarine connection between the countries.
At Dentons, Arkadiusz Krasnodębski leads the energy and natural resources team. The team assists power generating firms, transmission system operators and key traders operating within the sector. In particular, it has substantive experience of renewables (with an emphasis on wind power and solar projects) and handles both development and financing matters. Oil and gas is another area of expertise and the group assists with legal aspects related to exploration, production, refinement and distribution. Environmental protection expert Ewa Rutkowska-Subocz is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
Ewa Rutkowska Subocz
‘They have extensive legal knowledge and broad experience in environmental, energy and natural resources. They have an extensive team of lawyers specializing in these issues which allows them to carry out projects that require a large amount of work. They have unique experience in various projects and areas and sectors, which makes them able to advise effectively on very difficult and non-standard projects and issues. At the same time, they have a pro-business approach and a very good knowledge of business aspects in relation to various environmentally sensitive sectors. ’
‘I work mainly with Ewa Rutkowska Subocz and her team. I have been working with Ewa for over a dozen years, our cooperation concerned projects from the energy industry, WtE and the waste industry. I greatly appreciate her knowledge and experience, as well as a very broad and comprehensive view of environmental issues and her business oriented approach. She can advise on very complex and non-standard issues and does not avoid difficult and unusual matters. She is a very committed and proactive person. You can always count on her help in difficult issues.’
‘We worked with Dentons on a wind power financing project and we found the cooperation very successful. Their team is knowledgeable, versatile and professional. What we liked in particular was their seamless collaboration and coordination of advice encompassing numerous financing, energy and environmental aspects. They understand all legal, but also financial and business related issues connected with the energy sector.’
‘In addition, they work well under very tight deadlines and soundly navigate through changing situations and difficult circumstances, such as the COVID-19 pandemic regime during which we had to bring the transaction to closing.’
‘The team members are flexible, cooperative, understand the business and open to client’s needs. They answer on time and to the point. They always reply immediately – even if only to confirm receipt of the request for assistance and understand what and when is needed.’
‘ They work as a team. If someone is absent, another person is ready and capable to smoothly replace and assist.’
Mitsui Renewable Energy Europe Limited
Enlight Renewable Energy
PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna
Fortum Power and Heat Poland
CEE Equity Partners
Green Investment Group
- Advised Mitsui Renewable Energy Europe Limited; J-Power Investment Netherlands on the sale of Zajączkowo Wind Farm to Green Investment Group (Macquarie group).
- Advised Equinor and Polenergia on a joint venture related to the Bałtyk I offshore windfarm whereby Equinor acquired a 50% in the project from Polenergia.
- Advised Enlight Renewable Energy on the construction and €115m financing of the 105MW Selac wind farm in Kosovo.
The energy and infrastructure department at Domanski Zakrzewski Palinka is led by Rafał Hajduk. The group assists with greenfield power projects, regulatory and contractual advice, EU regulatory compliance and state aid. In addition, it also has expertise in the CO2 market, particularly in relation to emissions trading allowances. Paweł Grzejszczak, a specialist in energy law and company restructuring, is another key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very good practice in the field of energy, exceptional experience and knowledge in this very expertise practice, knowledge of all legal aspects and properly adapting it to client’s needs.’
‘The partner managing the practice has outstanding experience and a good business approach.’
At Rymarz Zdort, Marek Durski leads the energy and natural resources team. The group has significant M&A experience in the energy space, and also covers trading, regulatory issues and restructuring. The offering has also noted an uptick in instructions to handle LNG and is increasingly advising on the construction of solar, wind and gas plants. Projects linked to conventional power sources as well as those incorporating photovoltaic technology are additional areas of expertise. Pawel Rymarz is the name to note for corporate law issues impacting the sector.
Other key lawyers:
An infrastructure fund managed by Aberdeen Standard Investments
Grupa LOTOS S.A.
Elektrownia Ostroleka sp. z o.o.
Northland Power Inc.
PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna S.A.
PGE Energia Ciepla S.A.
PGNiG Termika S.A.
PKP Energetyka S.A.
Polskie Gornictwo Naftowe i Gazownictwo S.A.
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne S.A.
Sumitomo SHI FW
- Successfully represented Polskie Gornictwo Naftowe i Gazownictwo S.A. in arbitration proceedings against PAO Gazprom and OOO Gazprom Export in which PGNiG sought the revision of the contract price for gas supplied by Gazprom under the agreement commonly known as the Yamal Contract.
- Advised an infrastructure fund managed by Aberdeen Standard Investments, a European asset management company, in connection with the acquisition of 425 photovoltaic farms located in Poland from the following developers: Sun Investment Group, E energija Group, Modus Group company, Renesola, R. Power Group and other leading companies on the Polish solar energy market.
- Advised PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna S.A. on the contemplated sale of 50% of the shares in two offshore wind farm construction projects with a total capacity of 2,500MW in the Baltic Sea to Orsted, a Danish renewable energy company.
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k.
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k. advises on capital recycling, high-profile M&A developments and refinancings in the energy space. The team assists with consent and planning for projects through to financing construction and (if necessary) refinancing. Clients include various government departments, private equity houses and manufacturers. Tomasz Kawczyński, Dan Cocker and Jaroslaw Iwanicki.
Tomasz Kawczyński; Dan Cocker; Jarosław Iwanicki
‘The team from Allen & Overy has a unique competence in the area of refinery contracts. What is important for me is that they know how to find the common language between lawyers and engineers.’
‘Energy team in A&O consists of very experienced and highly qualified lawyers. We have been working with them on many occasions, both in M&A deals as well as day-to-day advisory. A&O provides best quality of legal products and advisory.’
‘Kamil Jankielewicz (M&A energy) and Kawczyński (B&F energy). We work with both Tomasz and Kamil in almost all our M&A and financing transactions. Both of them provide the highest quality standards and are well recognised on the market. Their experience, negotiation skills and industry knowledge is absolutely impressive. ’
‘Partner Kamil Jankielewicz is my go-to lawyer in Poland. He is super responsive, very enthusiastic, delivers to the point advice and can think strategically.’
Ørsted Wind Power A/A
GIG (part of Macquarie Group)
LOTOS Asfalt and Grupa LOTOS
European Investment Bank
- Advised on the acquisition by Ørsted of 50% of Baltica 2 and Baltica 3 (development stage offshore wind projects in Poland) from PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna SA.
- Advised on the acquisition and refinancing of the 42MW Kisielice onshore wind farm located in Poland from an entity owned by a renewable energy fund manager, Impax Asset Management.
- Advised on the first Polish merchant risk-based project financing for the construction of the Szymankowo Wind Farm comprising 11 of G132 HH 134 wind turbines with a capacity of 3.465MW each (38.115 MW in total) made available by the EBRD, mBank and ING Bank Śląski.
Baker McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Sp.k.
The team at Baker & McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa is led by the 'very active' Michał Piekarski. The group has considerable renewables experience and regularly handles onshore and offshore wind projects. It is also increasingly active in matters related to hydrogen power, small modular reactors and e-mobility as well as in the development of power plants, waste projects and the acquisition of conventional and renewable assets. Piotr Ciepiela advises on investments and transactions and is a specialist in the regulatory aspects of energy projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Michal Piekarski leads the team. Michal has experience as an in-house counsel and this experience has had a crucial influence on his practical, business approach. He is very active in the market.’
Wind Power Invest A/S (VESTAS Group)
Iberdrola Eólica Marina SA
PKN Orlen S.A.
European Energy A/S
3M Wrocław Sp. z o.o.
- Advised VESTAS (Wind Power Invest A/S) on the sale to EDP Renewables of four project companies developing onshore wind farm projects in Poland.
- Advised IBERDROLA (Iberdrola Eólica Marina SA) on a JV with a Polish state-owned energy company and potential acquisition of shares in several offshore wind farm projects in the Polish Baltic Sea.
- Advised PKN ORLEN SA and Baltic Power Sp. z o.o. on the development of the offshore wind project in the Polish Baltic Sea.
At Clifford Chance, Agnieszka Janicka and counsel Paweł Puacz head the team. The group acts for a range of clients, including industry associations (e.g. The Association of Polish Papermakers), investors, contractors, financial institutions and project finance banks. The group also handles energy-related matters for sovereign wealth and infrastructure funds. John Laing is a recent client win.
Agnieszka Janicka; Pawel Puacz
‘The team is able to provide the best legal and regulatory advice regarding energy. Always on time, always accurate, always on budget. ’
‘In my view it is the level of engagement, the proactive attitude and their effort to help us in any circumstance that stands out. All team members are exceptional. ’
‘Clifford Chance Poland team of Energy and natal resources is a group of top-tier legal expertise in the renewable energy field, providing innovative legal advice through full breadth of all aspects of our activities in the renewable energy sector in Poland – regulatory, commercial, financing and litigation.’
‘Pawel Puacz, counsel – a seasoned figure in the energy sector and remains one of the go-to lawyers for regulatory and renewable energy concerns, being an excellent strategic adviser. Pawel does not limit himself to providing legal advice but has a commercial mind which adds tremendous value to our business. ’
‘ Pawel Puacz: He has been running our affairs for many years and he is our contact on a daily basis: a person who is highly committed and knowledgeable about the energy market.’
Invenergy Renewables LLC
wpd offshore solutions GmbH
Eesti Energia AS
International Paper – Kwidzyn sp. z o.o.
C&C Wind sp. z o.o.
Windflower Poland sp. z o.o.
Enwind sp. z o.o.
Centrica Energy Trading A/S
Veolia Energia Polska sp. z o.o.
Association of Polish Papermakers
- Represented Invenergy in a BIT arbitration against Poland concerning Invenergy’s multimillion-dollar investments in the Polish wind energy sector.
- Advised ING Bank Śląski on the execution of a facilities agreement for the financing of the construction of PV farms by Polenergia Farma Wiatrowa 17, a subsidiary of Polenergia.
- Advised Fonnes, a Polish holding company established by Taaleri SolarWind II, on the acquisition of the 37.4MW Mława wind farm and the 14MW Grajewo wind farm.
The energy and natural resources team at DLA Piper recently gained Green Genius and Modus Energy Group as new clients. The group advises on matters related to electrical power, gas, liquid fuels, and mining, and provides comprehensive support at all stages of the investment process. The group also assists with the purchase of renewable energy projects and advises on the post-trade period. Regulatory expert Łukasz Jankowski heads the team, which also includes corporate law specialist Jacek Giziński and seasoned litigator Krzysztof Kycia. Associate Mateusz Koszel is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
Jacek Giziński; Krzysztof Kycia; Mateusz Koszel
‘The DLA team has deep knowledge of the energy sector and of the associated regulator. They are very committed to always supporting their clients, being very helpful and available in all situations.’
‘The DLA team has been a cornerstone in supporting our setup’.
‘Lukasz Jankowski, Head of Energy at DLA Piper Poland, has been one of the main point of contacts for our Company. I must highlight his full availability as well as practical approach to our demanding requests. Our relationship has been a fruitful one and has allow us to develop business within a new market with confidence.’
‘Solid knowledge and creativity. Much better commitment to on-time delivery compared to other firms. Also loyalty towards customer.’
‘Lukasz Jankowski and Mateusz Koszel are solid and committed. They form a very good partnership and understand customer needs.’
‘Full knowledge of the Polish energy market. Quick responses. Fluent cooperation.’
Canadian Solar Construction
EDP Renewables Polska
Modus Energy Group
Polska Grupa Energetyczna (PGE)
At DWF Poland Jamka Sp.k, Karol Lasocki and Oskar Waluśkiewicz lead the team, which acts for clients including the Polish Wind Energy Association and Uriel Renovables. In one highlight, it advised Solaque Holding on the sale of a wind farm portfolio to Fonnes (a subsidiary of Taaleri). Counsel Wiktoria Rogaska is a key name for environmental matters.
Karol Lasocki; Oskar Waluśkiewicz
Other key lawyers:
‘The DWF Team is the fully complete renewable energy legal practice in Poland. They are ultimately specialized in the renewable energy area, with years of experience, which really distinguishes them in a positive manner. It is an easy choice when you have a tough legal issue related to the renewables sector – wind or solar.’
‘Karol Lasocki stands out as lawyer with deep industry knowledge. You can feel that he understands the renewable energy business in all practical aspects, which gives considerable comfort.
‘Wiktoria Rogaska is a renowned specialist in permitting matters for renewable energy sources. She is also a serial winner of renewable energy cases in courts.’
Solaque Holding Ltd.
Tauron Polska Energia S.A.
Eolos Polska (Terna Group)
Polish Wind Energy Association
Elektrociepłownia Stalowa Wola (Stalowa Wola Heat and Power Plant)
Polskie Górnictwo Naftowe i Gazownictwo (Polish Oil and Gas Company)
Elawan Energy Polska sp. z o.o.
- Advised Solaque Holding Ltd., affiliated with GEO Renewables, on the sale of a portfolio of two wind farms to Fonnes sp. z o.o., a subsidiary of the Finnish Taaleri Plc.
- Assisted KGAL ESPF 4 Holding S.a.r.l. in a process of due diligence and acquisition of two onshore wind farm projects from CEZ.
- Advised RWE Renewables on the acquisition of project companies owning four offshore wind projects in Poland from private owners and developers.
The team at Kochanski & Partners recently gained Orange Poland and Shanghai Electric as new clients. Practice head Wojciech Wrochna and PPP specialist Aleksander Galos are key names. The team assists with offshore energy projects (including the development of interconnectors) and complex nuclear matters. The practice has also seen an uptick in renewable energy transactions as well as hydrogen matters and also advises on the storage and development of biogas.
Other key lawyers:
CEE Equity Partners Ltd.
Johnson Matthey PLC
Krynica Vitamin S.A.
Swiss Krono S.A.
- Advised Ductor on the purchase of a number of biogas plant projects.
- Acted for Swiss Krono in a high-level administrative dispute regarding the validity of a biomass burning permit and heat production.
- Advised Krynica Vitamin on introducing a new product – consisting of full scope (legal/IT/construction) advisory towards the implementation of a world-class solution to save energy costs and become emission clean.
Radzikowski, Szubielska i Wspólnicy sp.j.
The energy and climate team at Radzikowski, Szubielska i Wspólnicy sp.k. focuses on regulatory matters and competition law and regularly advises power companies on the complexities of antitrust matters. Przemysław Kałek is the name to note for EU regulations on renewables. Igor Muszyński departed for SSW Pragmatic Solutions in November 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Led by Warsaw-based Krzysztof Cichocki and Zbyszko Wizner in Poznań, the energy and natural resources team at Soltysinski Kawecki & Szlezak handles a broad range of matters. The group has expertise assisting with infrastructure investments in the power sector, and compliance with regulatory obligations and emissions allowances. In addition, the team represents clients in disputes arising from the imposition of fines, the application of tariffs and allegations of market manipulation. The group also advises on the purchase and optimisation of energy and fuels.
Krzysztof Cichocki; Zbyszko Wizner
ENEA Operator Sp. z o.o.
Polskie LNG S.A.
Baltic Trade and Invest sp. z o.o.
RE Alloys Sp. z o.o.
PCC Rokita S.A.
European Commission / DG ENER
Ignitis (Lietuvos Energija)
ArcelorMittal Poland S.A.
LG Chem Wrocław Energy Sp. z o.o., LG Chem Poland Sp. z o.o.
UMA Investments Sp. z o.o. (Polish subsidiary of Kellogg’s)
BA Glass Sp. z o.o.
CEMEX Polska Sp. z o.o.
Ion Mining plc
Audax Renovables, Audax Energia Sp. z o.o.
Enersys Poland Sp. z o.o.
TC Dębica S.A.
Eneris Surowce S.A.
- Represented RE Alloys in various criminal and regulatory proceedings related to the client’s claims arising from alleged manipulation on the Polish electricity market.
- Successfully represented BA Glass vis-à-vis the Polish Energy Regulatory Office in proceedings related to the imposition of a potentially high-value financial penalty for a breach of power restrictions in 2015.
SSW Pragmatic Solutions
Piotr Spaczyński, Dominik Strzałkowski and Anita Palukiewicz lead the energy and natural resources team at SSW Pragmatic Solutions. Notable for its advisory work concerning regulation, the group is particularly well known for its expertise in infrastructure, geological and mining issues. The practice also assists with issues concerning CO2 trading and grid-related matters, as well as litigation in the energy and natural resources space. Hubert Wysoczański recently made partner and Rafał Kozerski joined from Romanowski i Wspólnicy in 2020. The team was recently expanded with the hire of Igor Muszyński from Radzikowski, Szubielska i Wspólnicy sp.j..
Piotr Spaczyński; Dominik Strzałkowski; Anita Palukiewicz
Other key lawyers:
Hubert Wysoczański; Rafał Kozerski; Igor Muszyński
Led by Jerzy Baehr and Maciej Szambelańczyk, the energy and natural resources team at WKB Wiercinski, Kwiecinski, Baehr is a popular choice for industry and government bodies, and clients include the Polish Wind Energy Association, the Polish Chamber of Biofuels and Ministry of Climate. The group is active across the spectrum of work in the energy sector, including electricity, gas, renewables, nuclear energy, oil and mining. Jakub Pokrzywniak is a key name to note for legislative issues regarding the amendment of the Energy Law Act.
Jerzy Baehr; Maciej Szambelańczyk
Other key lawyers:
‘Fast responses, efficient contact, a practical approach with spot on advisory, memos, reports etc. ’
‘They are committed and creative.’
‘The employees of the WKB law firm I have the pleasure to work with are distinguished by their high personal culture, orderly manner and broad knowledge of the energy sector in Europe. I especially recommend Mr. Jerzy Baehr.’
‘WKB helped us in a long-term comprehensive legislative project, we appreciate their professionalism, commitment and ability to look at topics from a broader, not only legal, perspective.’
‘I used to work with Maciej Szambelanczyk – the partner responsible for energy. He is a very experienced lawyer, with extensive knowledge of the energy sector: motivated and committed. I recommend him to each client with a clear conscience.’
EDP Renewables Polska sp. z o.o.
Polish Wind Energy Association
Energix Renewable Energies Ltd.
ABO Wind AG
GreenGenius Sp. z o.o.
Eurowind Energy sp. z o.o.
Krajowa Izba Biopaliw
Bioelektrownia Buczek (currently Bioutil sp. z o.o.)
Gas Storage Poland sp. z o.o.
Ministry of Energy (currently Ministry of Climate)
Gaz System S.A.
PGNiG OD sp. z o.o.
Carrefour Polska sp. z o.o.
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne S.A. (Polish Transmission System Operator)
ENEA Operator sp. z o.o. (distribution system operator)
PSE (Polish Transmission System Operator)
ENEA Operator (distribution system operator)
Gas Storage Poland
TAURON Wytwarzanie S.A.
- Represented the Polish Wind Energy Association (and major offshore wind investors in Poland) during public consultations of the draft of the act on offshore wind development.
- Advised Energix and its subsidiaries on the establishment and implementation of a distribution system operator concerning the internal infrastructure of an operating wind park.
- Advised Statkraft Group during the due diligence process for a significant portfolio of wind and photovoltaic assets in Poland.
BSJP Brockhuis Jurczak Prusak Sroka Nilsson Sp. k.
Dominik Sołtysiak, who is an expert in renewable energy, oil and waste management, heads the team at BSJP Brockhuis Jurczak Prusak Sroka Nilsson Sp. k. A popular choice with foreign and domestic investors, the group regularly advises on the acquisition, development and financing of wind farm and photovoltaics projects. In one highlight, it advised Siłownie Wiatrowe Development on the sale of a portfolio of wind power plants to state-owned company Tauron Ekoenergia.
At BWW Banasik Wozniak i Wspólnicy Sp.K., Małgorzata Banasik and Łukasz Batory head the team, which is particularly sought after for advising on matters impacting the European energy market. The group also has niche expertise assisting with the integration of Ukraine's operations within EU parameters. The group also advises on transmission system operators, asset transfers and cooperation agreements.
Małgorzata Banasik; Łukasz Batory
At Eversheds Sutherland Poland, Michał Drozdowicz heads the energy practice. The practice, which was established in 2019, has already developed a strong reputation for handling advisory matters for state bodies as well as those operating in the natural resources sector. An additional area of expertise is financial advice as it relates to the renewable energy market, testament to this was senior associate Łukasz Petelski's advice to mBank on a major debt financing transaction in the commercial solar industry.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is reliable, has broad experience in the renewable energy practice, keeps the deadlines and maintains quality over time.’
‘Lukasz Petelski, Senior Associate – excellent availability and engagement, strong business acumen, broad experience, understands that transparency builds trust.’
Modus Asset Management
Green Energy Project
V-Ridium Power Services
Up – Telecom Sp. z o.o.
- Advised Litgrid AB on its conclusion of the cooperation agreement with the Polish grid operator regarding the construction of the “Harmony Link” submarine cable between Lithuania and Poland.
- Advised Veolia Energia Poznan on matters related to the maximum amount of public aid granted to the energy company.
- Advised Modus Asset Management on its first transactions on the Polish RES market (acquisition of solar plants).
At Gide Loyrette Nouel, environment specialist Piotr Sadownik leads the team. The practice has experience at all stages of project development and advises on energy-related public procurement and financing mandates. The team also assists companies with commodity trading and the acquisition of pre-existing projects.
The energy and natural resources team at Linklaters is led by counsel Patryk Figiel. The group is also is increasingly pursuing matters in renewables (with an emphasis on domestic wind farms) and routinely assists with regulatory obligations and processes related to environmental permits. Managing associate Jakub Dąbrowski provides assists with regulatory and public law matters in the energy space.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Warsaw team is unique on the Polish market in its ability to offer the full range of legal products on large energy and infrastructure transactions. They can pull together a lean and knowledgeable team very quickly from across their firm, in almost any major jurisdiction. This makes them an obvious choice whenever an international investor is involved. No other firm can match their offering in this space.’
‘Patryk Figiel is an excellent transaction coordinator. Given that he has worked on most major offshore transactions in our region, he is very up-to-date on market trends and standards, particularly with regards to international investors. Patryk also has an great eye for client care, providing regular value-added support to my organisation throughout the year via client alerts, market updates and check-in calls with my team. He is undoubtedly a leader in his field.’
Grupa Ożarów/CHR Poland
- Advising Fluxys Deutschland on its successful bid to take over an interest of 16.5% in planning, operating and building the EUGAL gas pipeline from the project developer Gascade Gastransport.
- Advising Mirova-Eurofideme on an equity investment and joint venture with Akuo to finance three wind power projects in Poland.
- Advising Pomerania Wind Farm on the legal aspects of the development process of one of the largest onshore wind farms in Poland.
NGL Legal continues to win new clients in the energy and natural resources sector. Led by Maciej Wesołowski and Filip Opoka, the team provides legal advice to clients operating in all key energy subsectors, including power generation (conventional and renewable), distribution and trading, oil and gas upstream/downstream, trading with liquid fuels and electromobility. The firm is particularly known for its work on the regulatory aspects impacting the electricity and gas markets.
Maciej Wesołowski; Filip Opoka
ENEA Trading sp. z o.o.
GePol Dystrybucja sp. z o.o.
Solaque Holding Group (related to Geo Renewables)
The Polish Association of Alternative Fuels
Polish Wind Energy Association
Grimscot sp. z o.o.
EDP Energia Polska sp. z o.o.
PGE Baltica sp. z o.o.
Polskie LNG S.A.
- Advised the operator of the LNG Terminal in Świnoujście on the procedure of offering the LNG Terminal connected with development of the terminal capacity, including preparation of the terms and conditions of the offering, template agreement for regasification as well as associated documents such as terminal code which led to the conclusion of a high-value regasification agreement.
- Advised PGE Baltica on acquiring grid connection conditions for the EWB-1 offshore wind farm of 896MW capacity.
- Advised PGNiG S.A. on issues concerning the regulatory aspects of functioning in the biogas market in Poland.
Led by Tomasz Rogalski, the energy and natural resources team at Norton Rose Fulbright supports clients through the full spectrum of energy matters. Specifically, this includes the financing of renewables, the development of conventional new build power generation, the regulation of power and gas markets and and CO2 trading. In addition, the group handles M&A transactions as well as upstream oil and gas issues and financial restructuring.
‘Very experienced team with an extensive track record in renewable energy and outstanding network in local market.’
‘Norton Rose Fulbright’s Warsaw energy team is well-rounded and can assist clients on a variety of energy matters from regulatory to project finance and restructuring. We think that the combination of regulatory expertise and project finance skills particularly differentiates this practice from others in Poland.’
‘Tomasz Rogalski is an elite energy and project finance lawyer who combines practical energy regulatory knowledge and project finance drafting and a negotiating skillset. We value his hard work, willingness to go the extra mile to close the transaction, energy business understanding, technical capabilities, negotiation skills and client relationship tools. Tomasz really excels at project finance transactions in the renewable energy sector and is a key expert in Poland in this field.’
‘We have observed the following strengths: high standards of work and professionalism, broad knowledge and experience of the lawyers (especially in banking and financing), certain flexibility in respect of pricing and time schedules of cooperation required by the client and understanding of the client’s standards and requirements‘.
‘I cooperate with Tomasz Rogalski. Tomasz is not only very likable person but also a very good lawyer with experience in various types of transactions within the energy space. Tomasz is a very well connected person with a broad network within the energy sector both in Poland and abroad and is always happy to introduce people. ’
Allianz Capital Partners GmbH
Aquila Capital Management GmbH
PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna
PGE Energia Odnawialna S.A.
Tauron Polska Energia
Bank Polska Kasa Opieki
Santander Bank Polska S.A.
DNB Bank Polska S.A.
- Advised a club of Polish banks consisting of mBank S.A. and Santander Bank Polska S.A. ion the development financing of R. Power’s 12 MWp PV installations in Poland.
- Advised PGE Energia Odnawialna on the due diligence, acquisition and negotiation of the W&I insurance in relation to 36MW Skoczykłody onshore wind farm portfolio put up for sale by Wento.
Led by Poznan-based partners Paweł Łącki and Michał Tarka, the energy and natural resources team at SMM Legal recently welcomed new partner Marcin Trupkiewicz from TTW-Legal. The group has expertise in energy trade, generation and distribution, and handles both gas and renewable energy-related work.
The energy and natural resources team at Squire Patton Boggs Krześniak sp.k. is led by Eligiusz Krzesniak and Paweł Magierowski. Matters covered include those that relate to conventional sources, renewables and the transmission and distribution of electricity. Clients can also benefit from the firm's recognised expertise in transactional and regulatory work.
Eligiusz Krzesniak; Paweł Magierowski