Energy and natural resources in Poland
The team at CMS shows 'a great level of drive and enthusiasm' with experience in all aspects of energy and heavy industry projects. Particular specialisms include industrial investments, resource exploration and production work, M&A transactions (especially in the renewables sector), environmental permitting, emissions trading and regulatory issues. In 2020, Marcin Bejm took over leadership of the department from oil and gas industry expert Tomasz Minkiewicz. Agnieszka Skorupińska, who was promoted to the partnership in May 2020, is a specialist in environmental law at a Polish and EU level. Łukasz Szatkowski primarily handles energy projects and joined the group from Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP in 2019.
‘The most important asset the energy department offers is reliability. Prime knowledge and experience of lawyers always guarantee the best possible outcome of entrusted cases.’
‘Piotr Ciołkowski is the genuine expert in energy law, his top-notch advice and leadership skills really make the difference.‘
Central European Petroleum
Engie Global Markets
Fortum Power And Heat Polska
H&M Hennes & Mauritz
Innogy Renewables Polska
KGHM Polska Miedź
Polish Development Fund
PGE Energia Ciepła
PGE Energia Odnawialna
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne
Tauron Polska Energia
The Association of Polish Power Generators (TGPE)
Veolia Energia Polska
Baltex Energia i Górnictwo Morskie
Biffa Waste Services
- Advising CalEnergy Resources on the Baltic Gas project, a JV project with LOTOS Petrobaltic, which is the first development of offshore gas fields in Poland.
- Advising PDH Polska (a company from the Azoty Group) on the construction of the first part of a Europe chemical complex including a propane dehydrogenation (PDH) unit, polypropylene (PP) unit, handling and storage terminal, electric sub-station and logistics infrastructure.
- Advising Stadtwerke München on its acquisition and development of Poland’s largest, fully permitted onshore wind farm project in northern Poland.
Led by Arkadiusz Krasnodębski, the team at Dentons is noted for its expertise in public procurement and environmental law. The group assists energy generators, transmission system operators and energy traders on the full spectrum of issues, including transactions and regulatory matters; with counsel Michał Motylewski specialising in the EU's internal electricity and gas market.
‘The public procurement and environmental protection teams are very useful and important pillars of the multi-practice support for energy clients.‘
‘Experts in wind and solar power projects, on both the development and financing sides. They know the energy sector, its needs and specificity.‘
‘Business-oriented, with deep legal knowledge focused for solving problems.‘
Domanski Zakrzewski Palinka's energy and infrastructure department advises domestic and foreign companies as well as public sector clients on major projects in Poland. Areas of expertise include greenfield and brownfield power projects, domestic and EU regulatory advice, gas and energy trading matters and distribution and corporate issues. The group is led by energy expert Rafał Hajduk, and also fields Paweł Grzejszczak, who specialises in energy projects, and senior associate Grzegorz Filipowicz, who is an energy law specialist.
‘The practice is unique in being able to engage quickly and efficiently with clients, not only to they get to grips with how best to deal with your scenario but also overlay the support quickly to make everything efficient.‘
‘Paweł Grzejszczak goes above and beyond, not only in legal support but personal support. This is particularly important when you are completing work from overseas jurisdictions and trying to work out the legal complexities.‘
‘Rafał Hajduk is very business-oriented.‘
Operator Gazociągów Przesyłowych Gaz-System
LEAG Lausitz Energie Bergbau
- Advising Operator Gazociągów Przesyłowych Gaz-System on procurement, regulatory, energy issues related to the Baltic Pipe project.
- Assisting ENEA Trading with the reorganisation of its trading model.
- Assisting Tauron with the ongoing review and remodelling of its wholesale commodity trading segment in order to ensure Tauron’s compliance with complex regulations.
Clients praise the energy and climate team at Radzikowski, Szubielska i Wspólnicy sp.j. for its 'ability to anticipate the complex challenges', drawing on 'huge energy sector knowledge, experience and passion'. The group is co-led by energy sector specialist Igor Muszyński, who has experience in advisory and transactional work related to all energy sub-sectors and is also regularly instructed in energy litigation and mediation. Przemysław Kałek, who leads the team alongside Muszyński, focuses on regulatory matters and also has expertise in competition law, and regularly advises power and gas companies on anti-trust issues arising from distribution system operations. Joanna Nowak-Paradowska is a key name for energy project finance work.
‘The energy practice is capable of providing highly professional, business oriented support, based on a thorough knowledge of the legal regulations. The availability and the devotion shall be underlined.‘
‘Przemyslaw Kalek and Joanna Nowak-Paradowska are praised for their constant attention, availability, client focus and market knowledge.‘
‘Members of this team have been handpicked for their ability, knowledge, problem solving ethos and professionalism. Without a doubt, their clients receive outstanding, clear-cut advice offered in a straightforward way that adds value to their business transactions.‘
innogy Renewables Polska
innogy Stoen Operator
RWE Supply & Trading
PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna
Rheinbraun Brennstoff GmbH
TAURON Polska Energia
Polish Power Transmission and Distribution Association
Zespół Elektrowni Pątnów Adamów Konin
SPV Taiga Mistral
Fortum Power and Heat Polska
- Advised Polski Koncern Naftowy ORLEN on a project involving the retrofit of the TG1 turbine generator set at CHP Płock, one of the largest heat and power plants in Europe and the largest one in Poland.
- Advised innogy Polska and PKP Energetyka (CVC Capital Partners) on the electricity price freeze introduced by the Polish Government with regard to regulatory issues, admissibility of an interference under national and EU law, and compatibility with the EU state aid rules
- Assisted innogy Polska and innogy Renewables Polska with the global exchange of energy assets between the RWE group and the e.ON Group.
Praised as 'by far the best lawyer in the field of energy in Poland', Marek Durski leads the team at Rymarz Zdort, which is noted for complex development and regulatory projects, in addition to energy sector M&A and restructuring transactions. LNG project transactions have proved an area of particular expertise for the group, although it also excels in matters pertaining to the construction of new coal, solar, wind and gas power plants. On the contentious front, team members have substantial experience in litigation and arbitration arising from energy contracts and agreements. Managing partner Pawel Rymarz has key expertise in M&A and capital markets transactions. In 2019, Lukasz Szatkowski departed to CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang Pośniak i Bejm sp.k..
‘Marek Durski stands out with his expertise in a number of sectors of law and an ability to oversee complex legal projects. His experience in both legal and managerial positions is second to none. In fact he may very well be one of the best business lawyers in the country.‘
‘The team is very experienced and knowledgeable in respect of the gas and power regulatory framework in Poland. They were able to address, assess and provide a solution that was necessary for the company.‘
‘Incredible focus on client’s needs, impeccable attention to detail, always available for client requests. Extremely knowledgeable and supportive.‘
A fund managed by Aberdeen Standard Investments
Elektrocieplownia Nowa Sarzyna
Energias de Portugal
Magyar Foldgazkereskedo Zrt.
Northland Power Inc.
PGE Energia Ciepla
PGE Gornictwo i Energetyka Konwencjonalna
PGNiG Obrot Detaliczny
PGNiG Supply and Trading
Polski Fundusz Rozwoju
Polskie Gornictwo Naftowe i Gazownictwo
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne Operator
- Advised a fund managed by Aberdeen Standard Investments on the acquisition of photovoltaic farms in Poland.
- Advised Polskie Gornictwo Naftowe i Gazownictwo on its participation in the Baltic Pipe project, natural gas trading in the Netherlands, EFET gas trading agreements and LNG trading.
- Advised Grupa Lotos on the acquisition of a 53% stake in the client by PKN Orlen.
Baker & McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa's team has a broad focus, advising on matters including energy, heat, oil and gas projects. Particular areas of expertise include offshore wind projects, power plant developments and waste projects, acquisitions of conventional and renewable assets, and new technologies including e-mobility and smart cities. The group is also well-versed in regulatory issues. Michał Piekarski, whose experience includes working in-house for an energy company, leads the team, and counsel Piotr Ciepiela is noted for his expertise in the regulatory aspects of transactions in the energy sector.
‘Despite its size, it is highly skilled, with a very reliable team of lawyers.‘
‘Exceptional knowledge and experience in renewable projects, including offshore wind projects.‘
‘Michał Piekarski is an expert in the field of renewable projects with skills in and knowledge of offshore wind. He also has business experience, that is reflected in his commercial, open-minded approach.‘
Wind Power Invest
Chugoku Electric Power
PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna
SUEZ Zielona Energia
- Advising Suez Group on all energy regulatory and contractual issues relating to a waste-to-energy plant project in Poznan.
- Advising Rafako on an international project for the design, production and supply of energy installations.
- Advising Wind Power Invest on a joint venture with a Cypriot-based Solaque Holding (GEO Renewables Group) for the development of several wind projects located in north-eastern Poland.
Led by counsel Paweł Puacz, under the supervision of corporate expert Agnieszka Janicka, the team at Clifford Chance leverages significant expertise in regulatory and contractual law, project finance and M&A transactions. The group has experience in renewables, power and heat units, airports, motorways and sea ports, with a client roster comprising industry associations, investors, contractors, lenders and funds.
‘The team is highly specialised. For several years, they have been helping us negotiate strategic agreements for Polish companies. They can easily advise us on many issues, which solutions for our business will be the best.’
‘Paweł Puacz not only understands the legal complexities of a broad array of issues, but comprehends and can pragmatically respond to the commercial aspects of challenges that clients face in the real world.‘
Invenergy Renewables LLC
Central Europe Energy Partners
Centrica Energy Trading
Veolia Energia Polska
Association of Polish Paper-makers
- Advised Polenergia on a preliminary agreement with Equinor for the sale of 50% of the shares in subsidiaries Polenergia Bałtyk II and Polenergia Bałtyk III, which are developing offshore wind farms.
- Represented Wiatrowa Baltica, Megawatt Baltica and C&C Wind, investors operating wind farms, in arbitration proceedings with Energa Obró, after the company ceased performing long-term agreements for the purchase of the so-called green certificates.
- Advised Polskie LNG on the expansion of the LNG terminal in Świnoujście.
The energy team at DWF Poland Jamka Sp.k was formed following the firm's acquisition of the Warsaw offices of K&L Gates in 2019. The group has developed a strong reputation for renewable energy expertise, assisting the Polish Wind Energy Association and the Polish Photovoltaics Association with legislative matters, in addition to advising a selection of energy-sector companies on their operations in Poland. The department, which is headed by Karol Lasocki, includes Oskar Waluśkiewicz, who takes the lead on conventional energy matters.
‘Holistic approach to the issues, availability.‘
‘Karol Lasocki demonstrates professionalism, and is readily available to answer questions and concerns.‘
E.ON Climate & Renewables
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
CEE Equity Partners
Polish Wind Energy Association
- Advised E.ON Climate & Renewables on its offshore wind energy activities in Poland, including M&A transactions.
- Advised Terna Energy Group on a number of administrative and tax matters concerning its wind energy investments in Poland.
- Assisting the Polish Wind Energy Association with legislative proposals for key regulations impacting the energy sector in Poland.
At Soltysinski Kawecki & Szlezak, the energy and natural resources team specialises in regulatory issues and energy infrastructure developments. It also advises clients on the exploration and production of natural resources and the production, transmission, distribution, storage and trade of electricity, gas and heat. The department is co-led by Krzysztof Cichocki, who has expertise in greenfield industrial projects, and Zbyszko Wizner, whose client base includes a number of German-speaking investors.
‘It is the best team I have ever worked with in Poland. They are extremely good in their areas of law.‘
‘Their advice is incredibly focused on my practical needs and they understand exactly what I need from a business point of view.‘
‘Their knowledge of the energy market is amazing. Their advice goes so far beyond the pure legal advice and is real business advice.‘
Darley Energy plc
Ion Mining plc
BP and its subsidiaries
Baltic Trade and Invest
Audax Renovables, Audax Energia
- Represented Enea Operator in over 100 proceedings against the President of the Energy Regulation Office pertaining to whether the grid operator has the obligation to conclude a connection agreement, if there are no technical conditions, and who covers the costs of the necessary network reinforcement.
- Advised the European Commission on the EU28 regulatory frameworks regarding the tariffs applicable to transmission services.
- Advised Baltic Trade and Invest on the development of the 350MW offshore wind farm project in the Polish Exclusive Economic Zone in the Baltic Sea.
Areas of expertise for the team at Squire Patton Boggs Krześniak sp.k. include matters relating to conventional energy sources, renewable energy and the transmission and distribution of electricity; the team also advises clients on the full spectrum of transactional and regulatory work. The department is jointly led by transactional and project development experts Eligiusz Krzesniak and Paweł Magierowski. Igor Hanas, previously of counsel, left the firm in 2020.
‘Very versatile and responsive.‘
‘Quick grasp of the problem and creative solutions.‘
China Power Engineering Consulting Group
The Chugoku Electric Power
China National Electric Engineering Company
- Representing Acciona Energy in a dispute with a major state-owned Polish offtaker in connection with the unlawful termination of the long-term Certificates Purchase Agreement (CPA) for a wind farm project.
- Representing China Power Engineering Consulting Group in public procurement proceedings regarding a turnkey project for the EPC of Ostrołęka power plant.
- Advising Rafako on the construction of a biomass combined heat and power plant in Lithuania.
The practice at WKB Wiercinski, Kwiecinski, Baehr handles electricity, gas, renewable energy, nuclear energy, oil and mining mandates. The group often works closely with other departments in the firm, which provide expertise in competition law, environmental regulation, M&A, public procurement and real estate issues. The group is also instructed in energy-related litigation and arbitration proceedings. Privatisation and anti-trust law expert Jerzy Baehr jointly leads the team alongside Maciej Szambelańczyk, whose clients predominantly consist of infrastructure companies, and contract law specialist Jakub Pokrzywniak.
‘It has unique and strong knowledge and experience in solving energy law related cases.‘
‘Jakub Pokrzywniak has best abilities to search for a solution. Always ready to help and always on time. His knowledge of civil and energetic law stands on the highest possible level.‘
‘A very competent team advised us on a complex new market entry and acquisition transaction.‘
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne
Polish Committee for Electrical Energy
BGŻ BNP Paribas
Polish Wind Energy Association
Gas Storage Polska
EDP Renewables Polska
- Advised Energix Renewable Energies on the establishment of a distribution system operator that would enable the connection of new wind farms under the current RES support scheme.
- Advised ABO Wind on its first acquisition of a wind park project in Poland.
- Advised ENEA on its electromobility project.
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k.
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k.'s team is integrated into the firm's global energy practice, and is led by head of the CEE and SEE international projects practice, Dan Cocker. The group is regularly instructed to coordinate projects across Europe, as well as in Poland, advising clients on entering the Polish market, project finance work and construction matters.
BWW Banasik Wozniak i Wspólnicy Sp.K. stands out for its expertise in gas transmission work, with experience advising on the establishment of transmission system operators, asset transfers and cooperation agreements. The team is led by seasoned energy and infrastructure expert Małgorzata Banasik and regulatory specialist Łukasz Batory.
‘Unique expertise in the energy sector, especially the natural gas sector.‘
‘Malgorzata Banasik is incredibly professional.‘
‘Exceptional experience in the Polish gas market. Collaboration with key market players.‘
Gas Storage Poland
Towarowa Giełda Energii
PGNIG Supply Trading
- Advised Gaz-System on drawing up its transmission network code and represented the client in administrative proceedings before the regulatory authorities.
- Advised the Polish Power Exchange on a strategic project including producing recommendations on the establishment of a gas hub in Poland.
- Advised Gas Storage Poland on day-to-day regulatory matters.
DLA Piper's group provides the full spectrum of legal and tax advice to clients in the energy sector. On the advisory side, the group has expertise in energy trading and environmental law. The group is also instructed on a number of M&A transactions and investments by domestic state-owned companies and international corporations. Counsel Łukasz Jankowski leads the team, and specialises in the electricity and natural gas market. Jacek Giziński handles matters involving the renewables sector, while Krzysztof Kycia is noted for energy sector disputes.
‘The team has strong knowledge of market-specific regulation and is also able to manage relationships with different market stakeholders.‘
‘The individuals in the team have deep knowledge of energy markets in Europe and in Poland and are also prompt to help their clients.‘
‘Sound knowledge of the solar market, highly skilled professionals, strong integrity and efficiency in delivering their services.‘
EDP Renewables Polska
European Investment Bank
PGE Energia Odnawialna, PGE Górnictwo Energetyka Konwencjonalna
Polskie Stowarzyszenie Paliw Alternatywnych
- Representing PGE Energia Odnawialna and PGE Górnictwo Energetyka Konwencjonalna in several disputes raised by ENEA and Energa in relation to the renewable energy market.
The infrastructure, real estate and energy department at Eversheds Sutherland Wierzbowski was launched in mid-2019, and draws on firm-wide expertise in energy, construction, public procurement and environment law. The government and energy practice is headed by Michał Drozdowicz, who joined from Dentons in 2019. Łukasz Petelski, who joined from Bird & Bird Szepietowski i wspólnicy sp. k. in late 2019, is the key energy contact and specialises in implementing projects, including energy financing work. Energy regulatory specialist Krzysztof Wierzbowski is also noted.
AB „INTER RAO Lietuva“
Tauron Dystrybucja and Tauron Polska Energia
Green Project Management
- Assisted Geo Renewables on the buy-side with its acquisition of shares in SPVs owning a portfolio of photovoltaic projects in Poland.
- Worked on the implementation of MiFID II rules for IRL Polska.
- Representated CRE Energia before the Energy Regulatory Office in key proceedings concerning the withdrawal of an energy trading licence.
Gide Loyrette Nouel is regularly instructed on regulatory, environmental, corporate, real estate and finance matters relating to the energy industry. The team, which is led by Piotr Sadownik, has experience at all stages of energy and natural resource projects, including public procurement and financing mandates. It also assists companies with commodity trading and with the acquisition of existing projects in Poland. In late 2019, counsel Konrad Kosicki moved to Wolf Theiss.
KGHM Polska Miedź
Grupa Azoty Zakłady Chemiczne
- Advised EuroCape on the financing and construction of the 500 MW Zaporizhia wind farm project in Ukraine.
- Advising Vitol on its electricity and natural gas trading activities in Poland.
- Advising PGNiG on its potential expansion abroad, and on the construction of facilities in Poland.
The team at Kochanski & Partners has experience in electromobility and energy efficiency projects, as well as conventional and renewable energy matters. It is jointly led by regulatory expert Wojciech Wrochna, who is particularly focused on the capacity market, and Aleksander Galos, a go-to name for project-related financing, corporate and regulatory issues.
Johnson Matthey plc
CEE Equity Partners
- Advising Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne on several projects, including the development of a new energy transmission system and the construction of a sea cable between Poland and Lithuania.
- Advising CEE Equity Partners on regulatory issues and finance matters relating to the establishment of an energy distribution company in the wind farm sector.
- Advising Johnson Matthey on two greenfield investments in Poland, including the acquisition of a site to produce ultra-high energy batteries.
Led by counsel Patryk Figiel, the team at Linklaters fields experts in infrastructure finance, projects, corporate and public law. It handles a wide variety of energy sector transactions, including energy company M&A, financings for energy projects, capital markets matters, electric power market regulation and energy trading work. The group also has experience assisting investors and operators with the implementation of energy investments, particularly in the renewables sector, as well as issues related to liberalisation including green and white certificates, co-generation support systems and emissions trading mandates. Managing associate Jakub Dąbrowski is a regulatory and public law expert who specialises in the administrative aspects of development projects.
‘Extremely professional, well managed team capable of providing top quality advice.‘
‘Jakub Dabrowski is certainly very strong in his field. He is capable of providing precise advice in a timely manner bearing in mind also budgetary constraints.‘
‘The projects team includes highly motivated, bright and focused lawyers who get engaged in the issues and aim to find the most suitable solution.‘
Polish Electricity Association
- Advised Fluxys Deutschland on its successful bid to acquire a 16.5% interest in Gascade Gastransport, the developer and operator of the EUGAL gas pipeline project.
- Advised the Polish Electricity Association on the potential effects of the proposed EU capacity mechanism rules.
Founded in 2018 by lawyers from DLA Piper, NGL Legal's energy, transport and infrastructure team is led by Filip Opoka and Maciej Wesołowski. The practice is noted for its regulatory, M&A and tax advice to clients in the energy sector, with experience handling matters pertaining to electricity distribution and generation, development projects and electromobility issues. The group also provides day-to-day advice to upstream and downstream oil and gas companies, and advises clients on their cross-border operations. Offshore wind is another area of expertise, leveraging the team's knowledge of permitting and environmental law.
‘I like this team because they are really experienced in regulatory work, they are easy to reach and very responsive. I feel they are passionate about the energy market, familiar with trends, novelties and generally knowledgeable of energy-related topics.‘
‘Maciej Wesołowski has a great understanding of the gas market and an in-depth understanding of regulatory process and proceedings. He often offers creative solutions when faced with a problem.‘
‘Highly business oriented team of experienced lawyers, capable of providing professional, timely and cost efficient support.‘
Polskie Górnictwo Naftowe i Gazownictwo
Operator Gazociągów Przesyłowych Gaz System
PGE Energia Odnawialna
- Advised ENEA Trading on its Winter Package and the impact of regulations on its generation, distribution and trading activity.
- Advised the Polish Wind Energy Association on legislative issues relating to the amendment of the Act on Renewable Energy Sources.
- Advised PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna on a post-transaction audit connected with its purchase of generation assets from EDF.
Norton Rose Fulbright is noted for advising financial institutions on project finance matters in the energy industry. The group, which is led by counsel Tomasz Rogalski, is experienced in conventional energy and renewable projects, and is also instructed by utility companies in relation to regulatory issues.
‘Very good team able to help in a variety of matters (project finance, restructuring, regulatory matters). They deliver a good quality product.‘
‘Tomasz Rogalski is great at what he does in the energy space. It’s nice to work with him, he can translate the legal stuff into business language easily and understandably.‘
‘The team understands the business side of the energy transactions. They work really hard to make it to the finish line on time.‘
Tauron Polska Energia
Bank Polska Kasa Opieki
European Investment Bank
- Advised Grupa LOTOS on a $500m refinancing project.
- Advised a consortium of banks, with Bank Polska Kasa Opieki as agent, security agent and lender, on amendments to finance documents for the development of a wind farm in Golice.
- Advised mBank on financing the development of 33 MW PV installations by R. Power.
SSW Pragmatic Solutions
Jointly led by Piotr Spaczyński and Dominik Strzałkowski, the team at SSW Pragmatic Solutions is well-versed in energy, geological and mining sector issues. The group has expertise in assisting industrial recipients of energy and gas with their operations, as well as advising on emissions, electricity and gas trading, energy efficiency, co-generation, construction and grid-related matters. The practice also handles regulatory litigation before the administrative courts.
CMC Commercial Metals
Polish Wind Energy Association
Polish Association of Mining Industry Employers
PGNiG TERMIKA Energetyka Przemysłowa
Marie Brizard Wine & Spirits
Motorola Solutions Systems Polska
The Fuel Company
Pro Bono Client
Zakłady Pomiarowo-Badawcze Energetyki
Pomorskie Towarzystwo Mechaniczno-Torowe
Jastrzębska Spółka Węglowa
CELSA Huta Ostrowiec
- Advised ExxonMobil on its downstream activity in Poland including regulatory matters, environmental matters, corporate matters, contracts, data privacy and compliance work.
- Advised WPD Europe on strategic sale agreements relating to various wind, photovoltaic and biogas projects in Poland.
- Advised PGNiG on matters pertaining to its concessions and environmental law, as well as acting in proceedings before the administrative courts in relation to its mining activities.