Tax in Philippines
Angara Abello Concepcion Regala & Cruz Law Offices (ACCRALaw) services a well-established client base of local conglomerates, multinational corporations, professional associations and high-net-worth individuals. In litigation, Eric Recalde and Francisco Ed Lim are representing Metropolitan Bank & Trust Company in its intervention in a petition for declaratory relief questioning the regulation issued by the Bureau of Internal Revenue which limits the manner with which financial institutions can allocate expenses between units and income streams. In addition to her strong tax practice, Ruby Rose Yusi also advises on trusts and estates, foreign investments and wills and probate. Oliver Pantaleon is another key contact in the team, which recently expanded at the associate level following several hires.
Ruby Rose Yusi; Eric Recalde
Banco De Oro Unibank, Inc.
Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas
Metropolitan Bank & Trust Company
Philippine National Bank
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Union Bank of the Philippines
Allegro Microsystems Philippines, Inc.
Araneta Group of Companies
Beiersdorf Philippines, Inc.
Campaigns and Grey, Inc.
- Acts for Metropolitan Bank & Trust Company in a case involving the questioning of a tax regulation affecting the entire banking industry.
- Handled the representation of the 2009 and 2010 tax assessment cases of Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (the Philippines Central Bank) before the Court of Tax Appeals.
- Assists Smartmatic Philippines in an application for a compromise of a tax assessment involving VAT zero-rated transactions. The compromise application has been approved by the tax authority at the regional level.
Gatmaytan Yap Patacsil Gutierrez & Protacio (C&G Law) covers the gamut of taxation, advising its clients on transaction-related tax, non-transactional tax matters and tax litigation. The team is a popular choice for leading multinational and domestic companies across the real estate, financial services, life sciences and food and beverage sectors, among others. In a recent success, the team acted for major pharma company Sanofi Pasteur in proceedings before the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR); the assessment involved various issues around income tax, VAT and withholding tax, and the team succeeded in significantly reducing the assessment. Anthony Gutierrez heads the practice, which includes key associates Roxanne Tadique and Cler Thea Gonzales.
‘The team has been rendering consistently high-quality services‘.
‘Anthony Gutierrez and Roxanne Tadique are very professional and accessible; they respond to requests promptly and give advice that is clear and understandable‘.
Metro Rail Transit Corporation
Arcadis Consulting Middle East Limited
TeaM Energy group
Webb Fontaine group
OceanaGold (Philippines), Inc.
Green Cross, Inc.
Steag State Power Inc.
CalEnergy International Services, Inc.
- Represented Sanofi Pasteur in proceedings before the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) and succeeded in reducing the assessment from $40m to $800,000.
- Advising Lafarge Holcim Group on the structuring of its divestment of its shareholdings in Holcim Philippines Inc., a company listed on the Philippine Stock Exchange.
- Advised Visa Philippines on the tax consequences and wording of its draft Retirement Plan for employees for it to qualify for tax exemption.
The two-partner tax team at Platon Martinez Flores San Pedro & Leaño acts for household name corporations (both domestic and international) in tax assessments. It was engaged by a steel manufacturing company to handle a case pending before the Court of Tax Appeals for the cancellation of an assessment, where the client (taxpayer) is invoking the tax waiver under the Financial Rehabilitation and Insolvency Act. Hector Martinez heads the team and is supported by Mia Carissa Martin.
Other key lawyers:
- Acts for a steel manufacturer in a case pending before the Court of Tax Appeals for the cancellation of its tax assessment.
The 'very responsive' tax department at Quisumbing Torres provides a comprehensive service, advising clients on local and national taxes, customs duties and tax litigation. It also stands out for its wealth management practice, advising clients on trusts, succession and taxation laws. In addition, the firm's busy corporate and finance departments ensure a steady flow of transactional work, where tax lawyers are also required, while its association with Baker McKenzie allows it to handle cross-border matters. Dennis Dimagiba and Ronald Bernas are the key partners, and new partner Kristine Mercado-Tamayo is another active member of the team.
Dennis Dimagiba; Ronald Bernas
Other key lawyers:
‘A very responsive tax team‘.
‘Ronald Bernas provides clear insight and solutions to matters pertaining to local and international tax‘.
The highly experienced tax outfit at SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan advises on the tax aspects of large corporate transactions and energy projects, and also advises its clients on diverse issues spanning customs duties, local tax and national tax. Its tax disputes practice is also of note, and clients include major power, utilities, TMT and financial services companies. Practice head Rolando Medalla Jr has experience in tax planning, tax compliance, refund claims and estate planning, as well as administrative and judicial litigation.
Rolando Medalla Jr;
Other key lawyers:
Hector De Leon Jr; Carina Laforteza; Russel Rodriguez
FBM Systems and Electronics, Inc.
Noted for its 'high level of professionalism', Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law) provides contentious and non-contentious tax services to its clients, which range from multinational and domestic companies to high-net-worth individuals. This includes advising on the tax elements of corporate transactions. In recent work, Franchette Acosta and a team have been advising China Telecommunications Corporation with the tax consequences of various transactions and structures, including on the tax treatment of entities operating within Freeport Zones, the determination of customs duties and taxes on imported goods. Sylvette Tankiang has experience representing clients in tax litigation before the Court of Tax Appeals and the Supreme Court.
Sylvette Tankiang; Franchette Acosta; Raoul Angangco
Other key lawyers:
Kristin Charisse Siao; Maria Concepcion Simundac
‘V&A has outstanding expertise‘.
‘The firm conducts work with integrity and responsibility, and has excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law‘.
‘Maria Concepcion Simundac has devoted herself to solving our legal problem; whatever the time, she does her best to respond to our questions‘.
Abundance Providers and Entrepreneurs Corporation
EWP Philippines, Inc.
Austral-Asia Link Mining Corp.
Star Group of Companies
China Telecommunications Corporation
Bank of Singapore Limited
Infinitus Health Products (Philippines) Inc.
CCMC Development Corporation
- On behalf of client Abundance Providers and Entrepreneurs Corporation, prepared a petition for review with the Court of Tax Appeals contesting the alleged deficiency income tax, value added tax, expanded withholding tax and documentary stamp tax in its assessment.
- Represents Austral-Asia Link Mining Corporation in a petition pending with the Regional Trial Court in connection with local tax assessments for extraction, conservation and road user’s fees.
- Provided advice to China Telecommunications Corporation on the tax consequences of various transactions and structures.
The 'expert tax lawyers' at Zambrano Gruba Caganda & Advincula have significant experience before the Court of Tax Appeals and Supreme Court in tax litigation, acting for companies in various industries. The team also advises on non-contentious tax matters. Since 2017, the firm has benefited from a strategic alliance with Singapore-based law firm WongPartnership, as well as the WPG Law Network. Lily Gruba represents companies in deficiency tax assessments at the administrative and judicial levels, and is also an expert in tax planning. Antero Jose Caganda is 'attentive and quick to revert', and Angelo Patrick Advincula is another leading practitioner in the department.
Lily Gruba; Antero Jose Caganda; Angelo Patrick Advincula
Other key lawyers:
Jorge Alfonso Melo; Juan Miguel Victor dela Fuente
‘The expert tax lawyers attend to queries quickly‘.
‘The team led by Antero Jose Caganda has always been hands on when it comes to our tax cases. He is our “go to” person‘.
Sabre Travel Network (Philippines) Inc.
Island Quarry and Aggregates Corporation
G&W Architects, Engineers and Project Consultants Co.
Grand Plaza Hotel Corporation
Asia United Leasing and Finance Corporation (AULF)
- Represented a client in a Court of Tax Appeals case on an issue of tax deficiency assessments for Income Tax, Value-Added Tax, Withholding Tax on Compensation, Expanded Withholding Tax, Final Withholding Tax, Final Value Added Tax and Documentary Stamp Tax.
- Represented a client in a Court of Tax Appeals case for the cancellation and withdrawal of tax deficiency assessments.
- Acted for several clients in a Supreme Court case concerning the refund of erroneously paid capital gains taxes pursuant to a tax-free exchange of shares.
Du-Baladad & Associates
Du-Baladad & Associates handles a varied mix of tax issues, spanning both contentious and non-contentious tax, with notable experience in administrative and judicial litigation (including before the Court of Tax Appeals and the Supreme Court). The sizeable team is led by founding partner Benedicta Du-Baladad, who draws on over 30 years of experience and specialises in in high-end tax advisory, tax disputes and refund claims, transfer pricing and advocacy. Fulvio Dawilan is the managing partner.
Other key lawyers:
Fulvio Dawilan; Irwin Nidea Jr; Rodel Unciano; Mabel Buted
Quiason Makalintal Barot Torres Ibarra Sison & Damaso handles all legal aspects of income, business, estate and transfer taxes imposed by the national government, as well as business taxes imposed by local governments. The team is led by Wilfrido Sanchez.
Romulo Mabanta Buenaventura Sayoc & De Los Angeles
Romulo Mabanta Buenaventura Sayoc & De Los Angeles's tax group specialises in both tax planning and litigation, as well as advising on equity and debt transactions, royalty arrangements, and corporate issues including M&A. The team also works closely with the Bureau of Internal Revenue.
Castillo Laman Tan Pantaleon & San Jose
Ocampo Manalo Valdez & Lim advises on corporate tax structures, compliance issues and estate planning, as well as cases at the Court of Tax Appeals. Clients include Petron, AGC Flat Glass Philippines and Zest Airways (now Air Asia Philippines).
Picazo Buyco Tan Fider & Santos
The tax practice at Picazo Buyco Tan Fider & Santos covers all areas of tax planning and tax advice, including estate planning and tax litigation. The team has also undertakes issues involving the Bureau of Internal Revenue.