The corporate and M&A team of Angara Abello Concepcion Regala & Cruz Law Offices (ACCRALaw) offers a comprehensive range of services to well-known, global clients. It advises on acquisitions and the set up of business ventures and corporate vehicles to facilitate foreign investments. Judy Hao heads the team and specialises in the establishment of branch offices and regional operating headquarters of foreign enterprises. Andre Navato is a key team member together with Joselito M Bautista (regulatory issues related to business process outsourcing entities and Everlene Lee (corporate, securities and capital markets).
Corporate and M&A in Philippines
Other key lawyers:
Andre Navato; Joselito Bautista; Everlene Lee
CVC Capital Partners
Bank of Ayudhya PCL
Converge Information and Communications Technology Solutions Inc.
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
- Advised CVC Capital Partners on the acquisition of shares in Fastcargo Logistics Corporation, including notification with Philippine Competition Commission.
- Advised Converge Information and Communications Technology Solutions Inc. on its purchase of 40% of the outstanding capital stock of Digitel Crossing Inc. and 60% of Asia Netcom Philippines Corporation.
- Advised Everlife Asia on its investment in Lifeline Diagnostics Supplies, Inc.
Quisumbing Torres provides advice on a wide range of corporate matters, including public or private M&A, joint ventures, shareholder arrangements, foreign investment, divestments, restructuring, and regulatory compliance requirements. It assists regional and local organizations from a broad spectrum of sectors such as consumer products, banking, chemicals, energy, infrastructure, insurance, manufacturing, healthcare, real estate, and technology. Maria Christina Macasaet-Acaban heads the practice and assists foreign organisations with M&A, foreign investment, and restructurings. The hugely experienced Pearl Liu continues to assist client while Dennis Quintero has extensive expertise in cross-border acquisitions and financial services regulations. Julius Cervantes and Luisa Fernandez-Guina are also recommended, as is associate Diane Maxima Singayan-Mallillin.
Other key lawyers:
‘Advice provided is detailed yet commercial; wide variety of expertise; excellent response times.’
‘Christina Macasaet-Acaban – a true professional.’
‘Luisa Fernandez-Guina – up and coming partner with good commercial acumen.’
‘Divina Ilas-Panganiban – fantastic data privacy knowledge and commercial skills.’
Alphabet (Google Inc.)
Changi Airport International Pte. Ltd
China Copper Co. Ltd
Forever 21 Incorporated
PruLife Insurance Corporation of U.K.
Prudential Corporation Asia
Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corporation
Korea Water Resources Corporation
- Assisted Pfizer with the spin-off of its consumer healthcare business segment into a joint venture with GlaxoSmithKline.
- Assisted an American medical technology company that engages in the manufacture of medical devices and software for treating cancer and other medical conditions in its joint venture with the healthcare subsidiary of one of the oldest and largest conglomerates in the Philippines (JV Partner), to establish and operate the first specialized oncology hospital and five oncology clinics in the Philippines.
- Advised F21 IpCo, LLC on the sale of shares owned by Forever 21 International Holdings, Inc. in Forever Agape & Glory, Inc. to SM Retail, Inc. and the sale of inventory of Forever 21 (Philippines) Inc. to Forever Agape & Glory, Inc.
The corporate and M&A team of SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan handles many of the largest investments and M&A deals in the Philippines. It offers an end-to-end service from initial structuring and due diligence to the preparation of shareholders’ agreements to the requisite regulatory processes. It boasts a client list covering almost all key industries, including defense, banking, construction, manufacturing, insurance, retail, technology, and utilities. The team is led by Rocky Alejandro Reyes, an expert in the power and energy sector. Managing partner Hector de Leon Jr. specialises in oil and gas law, and service contracts granted by the Philippine government. Simeon Ken Ferrer and Rose Marie M. King-Dominguez are also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Hector de Leon ; Marievic Ramos-Añonuevo; Simeon Ken Ferrer ; Rocky Alejandro Reyes; Imelda Manguiat ; Rose Marie M. King-Dominguez; Angel Salita ; Rafael Encarnacion ; Carina Laforteza ; Maria Teresa Mercado-Ferrer ; Vicente Gerochi ; Philbert Varona ; Benedicto Panigbatan ; Marietta A Tibayan ; Arlene Maneja ; Hiyasmin Lapitan; Melyjane Bertillo-Ancheta ; Jose Florante Pamfilo ; Franco Aristotle Larcina ; Aaron Roi Riturban
Metro Pacific Group
San Miguel Corporation
Aboitiz Power Corporation
Nova Asia Company
Dentsu Aegis Network
Manila Electric Company
TPG Growth III SF Pte Ltd
AC Energy Philippines
Dairy Farm Management Limited
- Assisted MPIC and MPLRC with an auction process, conducting sell-side due diligence and regulatory aspects of the investment.
- Advised Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P. on the compliance issue in relation to its conduct of a telecoms tower business in the Philippines.
- Advised MPIC and KIT on the Philippine law aspects of their purchase of Philippine Tank Storage International Holdings, Inc., which wholly owns Philippine Coastal Storage and Pipeline Corporation.
The sizable, five-partner corporate and M&A team of Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law) has built a reputation for handling some of the most complex and high value acquisitions in the Philippines. It is also lauded for its understanding of international M&A practices and standards. The team assists clients from a wide range of sectors, including telecommunications, infrastructure, technology, renewable energy, healthcare, insurance, and investments. Raoul Angangco and Sylvette Tankiang specialise in mergers and acquisitions, while Franchette Acosta has extensive expertise in foreign direct investment. Maria Concepcion Simundac and Paul Rodulfo Imperial are also leading partners.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are very responsive. Also legal fees are reasonable and flexible.’
‘Deep knowledge of M&A transactions. Extremely experienced team with a strong understanding of the local environment and M&A requirements as well international M&A practices and standards.’
‘Franchette M. Acosta (Partner) is very pragmatic, knowledgeable and able to guide through challenging legal issues.’
‘Extremely experienced team with a strong understanding of the local environment and M&A requirements as well as international M&A practices and standards.’
‘Ethical and principled individuals who are extremely knowledgeable and hard-working.’
China Telecommunications Corporation
Dito Telecommunity Corporation
Mitsubishi Estate Co. Ltd.
Taihu Holdings Pte Ltd.
Ayala Group, Bank of the Philippine Islands
Aboitiz Land, Inc
Fountel (Medical City)
- Acted for China Telecommunications Corporation on its investment in Mindanao Islamic Telephone Company, Inc., now known as Dito Telecommunity Corporation .
- Advised Udenna Corporation on its $565m acquisition of Chevron Philippines in Chevron Malampaya LLC, which has a contract with the Philippine Government, for the exploration, exploitation, and development of the Malampaya Project in Northwest Palawan, Philippines.
- Advised Mitsubishi Estate Co. Ltd. on its joint venture with Arthaland Corporation for the Savya Financial Center Project.
The corporate and M&A team at Martinez Vergara Gonzalez & Serrano handles a diverse set of services, which includes high-profile mergers, assisting publicly-listed companies with acquisitions and divestments of subsidiaries, and advising foreign and domestic entities on legislation and regulation. It assists with all stages of transactions, from initial structuring and due diligence review, documentation, securing approvals, to transition. Manuel Gonzalez specialises in the public infrastructure sector, while Rosalia S. Bartolome-Alejo is experienced at competition law and handles joint ventures involving a broad spectrum of industries. Since publication, Elmer Serrano departed to establish his own firm Serrano Law.
Other key lawyers:
‘MVGS is able to respond to our queries and concerns immediately. I particularly wish to point out the ready and willing assistance provided by Atty. Tephanie M. Gandia.’
‘MVGS is very good at coming up with ideas to properly structure transactions to make it work in the most efficient arrangement. The partners are always available, have a good network and always finds ways to make the transaction work with the client’s best interest in mind.’
‘Senior partner Elmer B. Serrano has good relationships and connections with the business community. He is very good at structuring transactions and finds ways to overcome whatever obstacles that may come up.’
BDO Unibank, Inc.
BDO Leasing and Finance, Inc.
BDO Finance Corporation
BDO Life Assurance Company, Inc.
BDO Securities Corporation
BDO Capital & Investment Corporation
SM Investments Corporation
SM Prime Holdings, Inc.
Citibank N.A. – Philippine Branch
Premium Leisure Corp.
MelcoResorts and Entertainment (Philippines) Corporation
Pacific Online Systems Corporation
Anchor Land Holdings, Inc.
2GO Group, Inc.
Chelsea Logistics and Infrastructure Holdings Corp.
Clark Global City Corporation
Global Gateway Development Corp.
Hitachi Digital Payment Solutions Limited
Invicta Cyber Defence Inc.
Nexif Energy Philippines Holdings B.V.
China-ASEAN Marine B.V.
USAID E-PESO Activity-Chemonics International
Maison Noble Holdings, Inc.
Bankers Association of the Philippines
Philippine Payments Management, Inc.
ACX3 Capital Holdings Inc.
Aboitiz Equity Ventures, Inc.
Greenkraft Group of Companies
Nickel Asia Corporation/Emerging Power, Inc.
- Represented Udenna Group and SMIC in the sale and purchase of their equity interests in 2GO Group, Inc.
- Advised BDO Unibank on the privatisation of its leasing business and balanced its corporate objectives with the interest of the investing public, particularly the minority shareholders.
- Assisted BDO Unibank and BDO Securities Corporation with their securities brokerage business through the merger of its two securities brokerage businesses, BDO Securities Corporation and BDO Nomura, with BDO Securities as surviving entity.
Puyat Jacinto & Santos Law Offices
Quiason Makalintal Barot Torres Ibarra Sison & Damaso’s team provides clients from varied sectors with assistance on M& A, corporate finance, securities, foreign investment, and capital markets. The team is led by the managing partner Ruelito Soriano, who has extensive experience in taxation and corporate matters, especially in the telecommunications and oil & energy sectors and Enrique Quiason , the head of the securities practice.
‘Shifted immediately to fully remote working and did a very good job managing all our requirements.’
‘Very fast and very knowledgeable on all subject matters. Has the full trust of the board and management.’
‘We value the team’s experience and knowledge of the power and energy industry, the regulatory and political aspects, and ability to negotiate the best terms for our company.’
First Philippine Holdings Corporation
First Gen Corporation
Energy Development Corporation
Transnational Diversified Group
- Acted as counsel for FPH in its tender offer for the shares in its parent company Lopez Holdings, Inc.
- Acted for two global insurance brokerage firms; provided regulatory advice on the need for merger approvals from the Philippine Insurance Commission.
- Provided a client with regulatory advice on the need for regulatory approval from the Philippine Insurance Commission with respect to a change of control of a non-resident reinsurance broker.
Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia
The corporate team at Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia advises on a wide range of corporate transactions, including joint ventures, corporate divestments, buy-outs, dissolutions, liquidations, and spin-offs. The firm handles the full cycle of mergers and acquisitions, from due diligence to post-closing, and has extensive expertise in the workings of the public sector, advising clients on the legal, regulatory, and policy aspects of dealing with the government. Aida Araceli G. Roxas-Rivera heads the team and advises clients on investments in the Philippines. Manuel L. Manaligod, Jr. specialises in public-private partnership transactions and developing comprehensive legislative proposals for government agencies. Rosa Michele C. Bagtas and Pancho G. Umali are the other key contacts.
‘The team is cohesive and well-coordinated. The advice is very practical and multi-disciplinary (financial/ economic, political, ethical, long & short term).’
‘John Jerico L. Balisnomo is well rounded in his advice and is full of wisdom. He can work well with other lawyers outside of the CMT when the situation calls for it.’
‘Simeon V. Marcelo is a very good legal strategist. He always thinks ‘out of the box‘. ’
Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corporation
Synchrogenix Philippines, Inc.
Asian Terminals, Inc.
W Group of Companies
Aboitiz Equity Ventures, Inc.
Redco Properties Group Ltd.
Seven Bank, Ltd.
Ayala Healthcare Holdings, Inc.
Pepsi Cola Products Philippines, Inc.
BF Jade E-Services Philippines, Inc.
Sta. Lucia Land, Inc.
Unilever Group of Companies
Lazada E-Services Philippines, Inc.
Connected Freight Solutions Philippines, Inc.
Lamsan Holdings Corp.
Sony Global Business Services Inc.
DOLE Philippines, Inc.
PTFC Redevelopment Corporation
PayMongo Philippines, Inc.
Kepwealth Properties Philippines, Inc.
Furukawa Electric Co., Ltd.
Peak Support Global Enterprises, Inc.
Advanced Assembly Materials Philippines, Inc.
- Advised Redco on its acquisition of 35% interest in Makati City Subway, Inc.
- Assisted DOLE Philippines, Inc. / DOLE Asia Company, Limited (ROHQ) with the registration of various foreign currency-denominated loans from its parent company with the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.
- Advised Zywave, Inc. on its acquisition of Advisen, Ltd. by conducting the legal due diligence on the latter’s Philippine subsidiary.
The corporate team at Gatmaytan Yap Patacsil Gutierrez & Protacio (C&G Law) handles high-value commercial transactions for clients from a variety of sectors such as real estate, aviation, energy, manufacturing, logistics, and BPO industries. It assists with both, incorporation of new entities and merger/acquisition of existing entities. Other services include advice on foreign and local investments in the Philippines, governance and compliance, legal audits, and due diligence. The team is led by founding partner Norma Margarita B. Patacsil , who advises on acquisitions, foreign and local investments, and joint ventures. Andrea Katipunan specializes in public-private partnerships and government procurement.
‘They are a competent team, able to provide concise advice.’
Ayala Land, Inc.
Holcim Philippines, Inc.
AC Energy Corporation
- Advised Ayala Land, Inc. (ALI) on the corporate law/regulatory, as well as competition law, aspects of its five-way merger.
- Assisted Stellar with the Philippine aspects of its merger with Probe.
- Advised Ayala Land, Inc. (ALI) and its subsidiaries on the merger of its two publicly-listed subsidiaries, CHI and Cebu Property Ventures and Development Corporation.
Platon Martinez Flores San Pedro & Leaño
Platon Martinez Flores San Pedro & Leaño handles the full range of corporate issues, including incorporation of new entities, capital fundings, joint ventures, due diligence, audits, and restructuring. Hector Martinez, Rachelle Aileen Santos and Mia Carissa Martin are the lead partners who also advise on the regulatory requirements of the Securities and Exchange Commission and other government agencies. Maria Karissa Tanhueco focuses on capital restructurings and mergers.
Other key lawyers:
Maria Karissa Tanhueco
AEL Manila Limited Inc.
Blueleaf Energy Services Philippines Inc.
Dole Philippines Inc.
Fairwind Harbor Services Inc.
Kingfood Tropical Ventures Inc.
Macquarie Advisors Philippines Inc.
Macquarie Group Services Philippines Inc.
JFE Shoji Philippines Inc.
ON Semiconductor SSMP Philippines Corporation
Oriente Express Techsystem Corporation
Philippine Sinter Corporation
Tabangao Realty Inc.
ThomasLloyd CTI Asia Holdings Pte Ltd
Yokohama Tire Philippines Inc.
- Advised Blueleaf Energy Services Philippines Inc. on its funding and increase in capital requirements.
- Advised ThomasLloyd CTI Asia Holdings Pte Ltd. on its acquisition of 34% equity in Negros Island Solar Power Inc.
- Advised ON Semiconductor SSMP Philippines Corporation on its expansion of manufacturing activities in the Philippines and with applying and securing the necessary approvals from government regulatory agencies.
Zambrano Gruba Caganda & Advincula advises both domestic and international clients on a wide range of corporate and M&A matters, including due diligence, preparation and review of shareholders’ agreements, negotiations, and securing relevant approvals. Lily Gruba is an expert in cross-border transactions, while Angelo Patrick Advincula advises Fortune 500 companies on the tax implications of corporate transactions. Michael Stephen Lao assists local and foreign clients with mergers and collaborative agreements with government-owned corporations.
Disini & Disini Law Office offer advice on a wide range of corporate matters, including compliance with SEC Filings, general corporate housekeeping, debt agreements, share structuring, corporate reorganizations, and financial restructuring. The team has also developed a niche in the technology sector. It has a diverse portfolio of clients, which includes traditional companies, non-stock companies, and technology start-ups. Owens Disini specialises in banking and general corporate law and co-heads the team with JJ Disini, who advises start-ups on funding rounds, shareholder agreements, and corporate governance. Promoted to partner in January 2021, Lars Serzo heads the firm’s fintech practice and assists clients in banking, fintech and emerging media on regulatory, transactional, and corporate restructuring.
Other key lawyers:
Tricog Health Pte. Ltd.
Eastern Securities Development Corporation
Quickreach Pte. Ltd.
QBO Innovation Hub
Pro Tek Telecoms Support Inc.
B.zaar Collective Pte. Ltd.
Data One Asia (Philippines) Inc.
Mobi X Systems Inc.
Senti Techlabs, Inc.
Social Light Inc.
Delta Earthmoving Inc.
- Assisted a financial institution with the acquisition of shares in a Central Bank supervised fintech company engaged in e-money operations.
- Advised an e-commerce platform operator on the legal implications of a regional business restructuring on its operations in the Philippines.
- Advised a global e-commerce and social media platform operator on the corporate structure of its group of companies ensuring it complies with applicable laws on foreign equity restrictions, and transfer pricing.
Fortun Narvasa & Salazar provides a range of corporate and commercial expertise; company formations, registration of corporate vehicles, availing incentives, application for business licenses, and obtaining of government approvals. The team has expertise in drafting, reviewing, or revising contracts of all kinds, representing clients in contract negotiations and litigation. Senior partner Roderick R.C. Salazar III leads the mining, projects, and energy practice group, while Maria Carmen D Babista-Lazaro leads the corporate practice group.
‘The firm values the client’s opinion and they seek to collaborate to fully understand a particular situation.’
‘Atty. Rodeick RC Salazar III is quick to respond to each query or engagement. I consider him an expert in his field.’
‘Their services range from civil and criminal actions to full-service commercial transaction support, especially for mining, energy, BPO, and the property sectors.’
‘Atty. Roderick RC Salazar III provides solutions for the smallest to the biggest problems for his clients.’
IXWA Investments Limited
Verizon Communications (Philippines), Inc.
Alkem Laboratories Corporation
Astec Consumer Power Product, Inc.
BD Agriculture (Philippines), Inc.
Jones Lang La Salle (Philippines), Inc.
Canon Business Service Center Philippines, Inc.
First SLP Holdings, Inc.
Our Property Ventures, Inc.
One Dominion Corporation
Verizon Communications (Philippines), Inc.
Xiang Lu Dragon Group
Taiyo Plastic Corporation of the Philippines
Shinhan Bank Manila Branch
Roedl Philippines, Inc.
NERA Philippines, Inc.
Pernod Ricard Philippines, Inc.
Otsuka (Philippines) Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Otsuka-Solar Philippines, Inc.
Maccaferri Philippines, Inc.
GHL Systems Philippines, Inc.
FCF Minerals Corporation
Mhe-Demag (P), Inc.
CD Processing (Philippines), Inc.
SEMCO Exploration and Mining Corporation
Toyota Financial Services Philippines
- Advised IXWA Investments Limited on the sale of its shares and assignment of subscription rights to Clipstone Investments Limited worth US$677,000.00.
- Assisted BD Agriculture (Philippines), Inc. with the increase in its authorised capital stock to P148,000,000.00 or US$3,083,333.
- Assisted Otsuka Pharmaceuticals Co., LTD.Otsuka-Solar Philippines, Inc. (OSPI) with the setting up of a joint venture between Otsuka Pharmaceuticals Co., LTD. and Solar Corporation.
The corporate team of Gorriceta Africa Cauton & Saavedra has built a strong reputation for providing advice in the technology and banking sector. It has extensive expertise in FinTech, blockchain, smart contracts, e-commerce, artificial intelligence, cybercrime, and data privacy. Managing partner Mark Gorriceta has comprehensive experience in the tax sector, including tax structuring, investigations, and ruling applications. Junior partner Kristine Torres specialises in corporate and business law, M&A, capital markets, banking, finance, and securities law. Micaela Kristina V. Galvez is a senior associate with broad expertise in corporate, commercial and securities law.
‘The team has special expertise in fintech, DLT, and complex matters.’
‘Mark S. Gorriceta develops an understanding of each situation and remains accountable for the service level received from the firm.’
UnionBank of the PhilippinesMeralco
UBX Philippines Corporation Bank of the Philippine Islands
DM Wenceslao & Associates, Incorporated
S&P Global, Philippines Inc.
Apppps Partners, Inc.
Investree Philippines, IncUnionBank of the Philippines
Filinvest Development Corporation
Dlocal, LLPZalora Philippines
I-Remit Inc. UBX
Multisys Technologies Corporation
IRIS Corporation Berhad
Binance Capital Management Co., Ltd. and Binance Holdings, Ltd Filinvest Development Corporation
Asiawide LandS&P Global
Plentina Lending, Inc.Investree Philippines, Inc
Plentina Lending, Inc.
Binance Capital Management Co., Ltd. and Binance Holdings, Ltd
Gulapa & Lim (Gulapa Law) provides corporate advice to domestic clients from a wide range of sectors, including energy, manufacturing, retail, technology, real estate, and infrastructure. Key services include acquisition-related advice, drafting and revision of agreements, due diligence, negotiations, handling government agencies, and more recently, advising on corporate rehabilitation plans. Aris Gulapa specialises in joint ventures, particularly public-private partnerships in infrastructure, and jointly heads the team with Melissa Chavez-Dee, who is experienced in multi-million capital restructurings.
‘Very strong team, who are responsive and are willing to go the extra mile to help.’
‘Very accessible, does not feel like they are just in it to bill hours, but find different ways to solve legal issues in the best manner.’
‘The team consists of excellent lawyers who work together in an organised manner to fulfil the requirements.’
‘Atty. Aris L. Gulapa is an expert in transactions involving government projects. He always discusses the possible risks and recommends legal solutions to mitigate those risks.’
Kyushu Electric Power Co., Inc.
Philippine Phosphate Fertilizer Corp.
United Graphic Expression Corporation
Pivot International, Inc.
Manila Water Company Inc.
- Assisted Kyuden with post-closing requirements and its acquisition of shares in Powersource.
- Assisted Manila Water Company Inc. with the drafting and revision of its concession agreement with Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (“MWSS”).
- Assisted Pivot International, Inc. with structuring its joint venture with Power Serve (PSI), Inc., to submit a bid for the refurbishment of automated elections equipment to be used for the 2022 Philippine elections.
Insights Philippines Legal Advisors (IPLA), Member Firm of ZICO Law Network
Insights Philippines Legal Advisors (IPLA), Member Firm of ZICO Law Network is one of the few international law firms in the Philippines and has built a strong reputation in the corporate and M&A sector in a short time. The team offers advice on legal issues confronting foreign players, multinational corporations, and multijurisdictional corporate groups entering the market or transacting business in the Philippines. Felix Sy heads the practice and focuses on mergers and acquisitions, banking & finance, securitization, and derivatives.
- Advised a US-based global remittance platform on the structuring of the US-based global remittance platform provider presence in the Philippines in compliance with new regulatory requirements of the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.
- Advised ORIX on the formation of a joint venture company with a leading real estate development company in the Philippines.
The corporate team at Del Rosario & Del Rosario has seen significant growth in recent years advising on direct foreign investments, company formations, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and general corporate work. The team works primarily in the shipping sector, where it assists multinational organisations with the acquisition of shares in entities in the Philippines. The team is led by the duo of Ruben Del Rosario and Arturo Del Rosario Jr.
- Advised OSM Group on its acquisition of shares in Seateam manning agency in the Philippines.