The dynamic team at Angara Abello Concepcion Regala & Cruz Law Offices (ACCRALaw) frequently acts for high-profile clients on their initial public offerings, follow-on offerings, bond offerings and back-door listings. With Judy Hao at the helm, it is equally skilled at advising on stock rights offerings as well as dollar denominated equity and debt offerings. The firm is also sought out for its expertise in the securities aspects of Real Estate Investment Trusts. Everlene Lee specialises in securities and capital markets work, while Francisco Lim, who is now a senior legal counsel, is a well-respected figure in the market having previously served as President and Chief Executive Officer of the Philippine Stock Exchange.
Capital markets in Philippines
Angara Abello Concepcion Regala & Cruz Law Offices (ACCRALaw)
Other key lawyers:
Everlene Lee; Francisco Lim
BPI Capital Corporation
BDO Capital & Investment Corporation
The Keepers Holdings, Inc.
Cirtek Holdings Philippines Corporation
Abacus Capital and Investment Corporation
The Hongkong & Shanghai Banking Corp Ltd.
RCBC Capital Corporation
PNB Capital and Investment Corporation
- Acted as counsel for the joint lead managers, The Hongkong & Shanghai Banking Corporation and Standard Chartered Bank in relation to the PHP11bn digital bond issuance of Union Bank of the Philippines from its existing bond program. This is the first digital bond issuance in the Philippines.
- Acted as Philippine counsel to the joint global coordinators (UBS, Credit Suisse, JP Morgan and Citibank) and local lead underwriters (BDO Capital & Investment Corp., BPI Capital Corporation, and First Metro Investment Corporation) in connection with the initial public offering of Monde Nissin Corporation.
Martinez Vergara & Gonzalez Sociedad
Manuel Gonzalez and Gwyneth Ong lead the dedicated capital markets practice at Martinez Vergara & Gonzalez Sociedad, which handles a wide spectrum of securities-related work. On the equity capital front, its work ranges from advising on significant IPOs, follow-on issues and rights offerings through to assisting with tender offers, reverse takeovers of publicly listed companies and the issuance of global depository receipts; the group also advises on private equity matters. The agile team is experienced in advising issuers and advising on real estate investments trusts and also handles all aspects of the debt capital markets, and frequently acts as counsel to domestic and international financial institutions and issuers on the issuance of corporate notes, bonds and similar debt securities. Mark Vergara and Janice Co are among the other key members of the department.
Manuel Gonzalez; Gwyneth Ong
Other key lawyers:
Mark Vergara; Janice Co
‘The legal team understands our company’s issues, problems, and general strategy to help us with our needs. They thoroughly collaborate with us and our team to ensure the smooth execution of the transaction. The team, in general, truly understands our problems and gives a customised solution‘.
‘Each lawyer is approachable for advice as soon as we need it. All our counterparts (from partners down) are easy to work with’.
‘Gwyneth Ong stood out as the partner leading the charge in all our transactions. She is a ‘hands-on’ partner who thoroughly reviews our paperwork and negotiates directly with regulators involved. She understands the company’s needs and strategies and constantly points out current and future issues and opportunities in light of our plans and strategy‘.
‘Janice Co has also constantly stepped up despite our strict demands in our project’s timetable. Like her other colleagues, she works to ensure our timely and thorough execution of documents‘.
‘Mastery of the law along with their wealth of experience. Ability to understand the needs of the clients vis-a-vis the regulatory framework’.
‘Each partner has an in-depth knowledge and experience in the capital markets. All named partners Mark Vergara; Gwyneth Ong and Janice Co are easy to work with and has displayed the highest standards of professionalism and personal attention’.
BDO Unibank, Inc.
SM Investments Corporation
BDO Capital & Investment Corporation
Chinabank Capital Corporation
Sta. Lucia Land Inc.
SM Development Corporation
SB Capital Investment Corporation
Basic Energy Corporation
Citicore Renewable Energy Corporation
MAP 2000 Development Corporation
Steniel Manufacturing Corporation
Suncity Group Holdings Limited
Security Bank Corporation
KEB Hana Manila Branch
Shinhan Bank Manila Branch
LDA Capital Limited
LDA Capital LLC
Bank of Commerce
Citicore Energy REIT Corp.
First Metro Investment Corporation
North Star Meat Merchants Inc.
- Acted as counsel for the issuer, Citicore Energy REIT Corp., (CREIT) on its PHP6.3bn REIT Offering to the investing public.
- Represented EEI Corporation (EEI), a publicly listed company and one of the leading construction companies in the Philippines, in its successful return to the equity capital markets since its PHP540m stock rights offering in 2007. The firm acted as counsel to EEI on its follow-on offering of preferred shares.
Quisumbing Torres has a strong track record of advising domestic and international entities on a broad range of capital raising transactions. With Alain Charles Veloso and Maria Christina Macasaet-Acaban at the helm, the practice represents issuers, investment banks and selling shareholders in equity and debt deals both on a public and private placement basis. Areas of expertise include advising on debt issuances and programs as well as multi-jurisdictional acquisitions and divestitures involving public companies. The team is also well-equipped to advise on the regulatory aspects of capital markets and securities transactions, and frequently advises on securities registrations (and/or exemption from securities registration requirements), stock exchange compliance, corporate governance work, and securities business licensing issues.
Alain Charles Veloso; Maria Christina Macasaet-Acaban
Alphabet (Google Inc.)
PruLife Insurance Corporation of U.K. (PLUK)
Prudential Corporation Asia (Prudential Asia)
Universal Entertainment Corporation
- Advising Universal Entertainment Corporation, Okada Manila’s parent company on its 2.6bn de-SPAC merger with 26 Capital Acquisition Corp. which will result in Okada Manila becoming a publicly traded company listed on Nasdaq.
- Advised a large multinational independent investment bank and financial services company on the sale of its shares in a publicly-listed Philippine corporation.
- Advised an institutional investor that manages several public and para-public pension plans and insurance programs in connection with the buy-back of its shares by one of the oldest and largest conglomerates in the Philippines.
SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan
SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan is known for its ability to handle a variety of complex transactions and routinely acts for both foreign and local banks and financial institutions as well as for the issuers of securities. Vicente Gerochi IV leads the practice, which has recently been involved in a range of capital market deals that span a range of sectors including the food and beverage, real estate and port operations industries. It also receives a steady flow of instructions from foreign law firms. Senior partner Marievic Ramos- Añonuevo plays a pivotal role in the department and often advises local and international financial institutions. Of counsel Simeon Ken Ferrer is another name to note along with Joan Mae To-Conejos.
Vicente Gerochi IV
Other key lawyers:
Joan Mae To-Conejos; Marievic Ramos-Añonuevo; Simeon Ken Ferrer
BDO Unibank, Inc./BDO Capital & Investment Corporation
Philippine National Bank/PNB Capital & Investment Corporation
Bank of the Philippine Islands/BPI Capital Corporation
Standard Chartered Bank
Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited
San Miguel Corporation
National Grid Corporation of the Philippines
Synergy Grid & Development Phils., Inc.
- Acted as Philippine counsel to Grab Holdings Limited on various complex matters.
- Acted as counsel for an issuer in relation to the offer and issuance of fixed rate bonds due 2024 as the fourth tranche under its PHP100bn Bond Program.
- Acted as counsel to various financial entities in relation to the offer in the Philippines by San Miguel Corporation of Series I Bonds.
Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law)
Spearheaded by Raoul Angangco, Sylvette Tankiang and Franchette Acosta, the capital markets team at Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law) works closely with various stakeholders to provide transactional advice on raising capital through debt, equity and other forms of securities. Recently, it has been busy working on several large cross-border matters for clients in the energy, telecoms and infrastructure sectors. The group is also recognised for its advice on the regulatory aspects of public offerings and private placements, and often advises on the numerous governance obligations that can be imposed on public companies under applicable local securities laws and stock exchange regulations.
Raoul Angangco; Sylvette Tankiang; Franchette Acost
Swiss Reinsurance Company Ltd., Swiss Re International S.E., Swiss Re. Corporate Solutions Ltd., and Swiss Re Asia Pte. Ltd.
China Telecommunications Corporation
Tyndall Capital Sdn Bhd
PT Venteny Fortuna International
DITO Telecommunity Corporation (DITO)
- Advised Swiss Reinsurance Company Ltd., Swiss Re International S.E., Swiss Re. Corporate Solutions Ltd., and Swiss Re Asia Pte. Ltd. regarding the overview of reinsurance regulations in the Philippines as well as compliance with the Data Privacy Act.
- Continuing to act for China Telecommunications Corporation (CTC) in managing its investments in Dito Telecommunity Corporation (DITO) and in complying with its funding and other obligations therein, including advising CTC on the restructuring of the equity of DITO as provided in the agreement with consortium parties.
Gatmaytan Yap Patacsil Gutierrez & Protacio (C&G Law)
Under the leadership of Norma Margarita B. Patacsil, the corporate team at Gatmaytan Yap Patacsil Gutierrez & Protacio (C&G Law) frequently assists with IPOs, private placements and other capital building exercises. It also regularly advises on market entry and regulatory compliance issues spanning various industries.
Norma Margarita B. Patacsil
SN Aboitiz Power – Benguet, Inc.
- Advised and assisted SN Aboitiz Power – Benguet, Inc. with a PHP18bn notes facility.
- Acted as independent counsel to AREIT, Inc. in respect of an offer – provided an opinion required by the principal regulator, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and for that purpose advised on the prospectus.
Gorriceta Africa Cauton & Saavedra
Mark Gorriceta at Gorriceta Africa Cauton & Saavedra has advised a number of companies on their listing applications with the Philippine Stock Exchange, while Kristine Torres has considerable experience in capital markets work and advising on securities offerings. Torres also covers equity and debt capital raising transactions, and Micaela Kristina V. Galvez is another well-respected member of the department.
Mark Gorriceta; Kristin Torres; Micaela Kristina V. Galvez
‘Very client-centric. Goes above and beyond. Values long term relationships.’
26 Capital Acquisition Corp.
Puyat Jacinto & Santos Law Offices
Under the direction of Ramil Bugayong and Pearl Grace Cabali at Puyat Jacinto & Santos Law Offices, the team has a solid reputation for its work with clients on a broad range of capital matters issues.
Ramil Bugayong; Pearl Grace Cabali