Led by Norma Margarita Patacsil, the practice at Gatmaytan Yap Patacsil Gutierrez & Protacio (C&G Law) acts for major clients on the Philippine Competition Act and a myriad of regulatory matters. It is adept at advising on investigations that are conducted by the Philippine Competition Commission into issues concerning anti-competitive behaviour and compliance matters. The group is particularly skilled at handling major M&As and obtaining merger clearances for these transactions. Andrea Katipunan is another known name for her work on corporate deals for local and international clients, as well as PPPs and government procurement mandates.
Antitrust and competition in Philippines
Norma Margarita Patacsil
Other key lawyers:
Ayala Land, Inc. (ALI) and its subsidiaries
- Advising Ayala Land, Inc. (ALI) on its five-way merger.
- Advised ALI affiliates CHI and CPV on its merger.
The nimble team at Quisumbing Torres is headed by Maria Christina Macasaet-Acaban. It excels at advising on all aspects of competition law for clients across a broad range of industries, such as healthcare, manufacturing, consumer goods and retail, as well as technology, energy and infrastructure. Core areas of focus include assessing whether a transaction should be notified to the Philippine Competition Commission (PCC) and then preparing and filing notifications to the PCC. The team frequently works closely with Baker McKenzie’s global antitrust and competition group on a wide array of antitrust and competition matters. Alain Charles Veloso and Michael Macapagal are both key contacts in the practice.
Maria Christina Macasaet-Acaban
Other key lawyers:
Alain Charles Veloso; Michael Macapagal
Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corporation
PruLife Insurance Corporation of UK (PLUK)
- Advising and assisting a foreign transportation company in responding to a subpoena relating to an investigation on a potential cartel case.
- Advising and assisting a British integrated energy company on a merger control assessment for the proposed sale of the client’s lubricants business and advised on merger notification requirements under the PCA.
- Advising Asia’s leading healthcare services provider on various competition law matters and assistance with interviews with the PCC in relation to pending merger investigations and competition impact assessment of the Cheaper Medicine Act and Universal Healthcare Coverage.
Head of practice Aris Gulapa at Gulapa & Lim (Gulapa Law) has a wealth of experience in competition and antitrust law enforcement issues across numerous jurisdictions with notable expertise advising on merger control issues in PPPs. The group frequently advises financial institutions, government agencies and private companies on obtaining clearances for major projects under the PCC, in addition to other compliance matters pertaining to antitrust and competition laws, rules and regulations. Junior associate Theodore S. Ballesteros is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
Theodore S. Ballesteros
Asian Development Bank
AXA Philippines (Philippine AXA Life Insurance Corporation and Charter Ping An Insurance Corporation)
- Advising the Asian Development Bank on the procedure for obtaining a Certificate of Exemption for unsolicited projects being tendered by the Department of Transportation and liaising with the Philippine Competition Commission on behalf of the client.
- Advising Ayala Corporation on the acquisition of shares in a special purpose vehicle in relation to one of the country’s flagship PPP projects.
- Assisting AXA Philippines in its merger with a wholly-owned subsidiary Charter Ping An, which is engaged in the business of non-life insurance.
Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law)’s competition and antitrust practice assists local and international clients on major acquisitions, with demonstrable experience across the manufacturing, banking, renewable energy and healthcare sectors. Among the names to note are Sylvette Tankiang, who advises on M&As in the mining, natural resources, power and energy industries. Franchette Acosta focuses on foreign direct investments, while corporate and M&A partner Kristin Charisse Siao rejoined the team in October 2021 from an in-house role, following the departures of Maria Concepcion Simundac and Paul Rodulfo Imperial.
Sylvette Tankiang; Franchette Acosta; Kristin Charisse Siao
‘Competition law is relatively new in the Philippines, and V&A provided clear and pragmatic advice for our business.’
‘Kristin Charisse Siao is always available and very responsive.’
AC Logistics Holdings Corporation (subsidiary of Ayala Corporation)
Consortium of Philippine Banks (BDO Unibank, Inc., Bank of the Philippine Islands, Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation)
Nissan Philippines, Inc.
- Represented AC Logistics Holdings Corporation and its notifying group on Phase 1 merger review in the voluntary notification of its proposed acquisition of a 60% interest in Air 21 Holdings, Inc.
- Assisted Udenna Corporation on competition law matters in connection with its investments in the Malampaya Gas Field.
- Advised a consortium of the largest banks in the Philippines on whether an intended sale of assets is subject to merger review.