Khalid Anwer & Co. works with a variety of major industrial and financial services conglomerates in Pakistan and as a result often represents them in high-profile tax litigation. The team has particular expertise in infrastructure cess cases, gas development cess cases, the workers’ welfare fund and workers’ participation fund disputes. The agile team is adept at handling a broad range of disputes too about sales tax on services. Raashid Anwer and Jawad Qureshi lead the team.
Tax in Pakistan
Other key lawyers:
‘Very competent legal team and all matters referred to it are immediately responded to‘.
‘We have been working with Khalid Anwer & Co. for many years. They provide us with expert advice and legal services in relation to tax matters. We have found the team at Khalid Anwer & Co. to be very professional, knowledgeable and approachable. They worked extremely hard on our cases from beginning to the end. We highly recommend this firm ’.
‘Adil Saeed . is very insightful and is an expert in his field. He did a fantastic job helping us with a tax issue recently. His work ethic, proactive communication and attention to detail make him a great lawyer’.
‘Khalid Anwer & Co firm is one of Pakistan’s renowned law firms that represents high value corporate clients as well as individual clients at different levels from the High Courts up to Supreme Court of Pakistan and is regarded as senior & competent associates of the legal community’.
‘The firm has numerous skilled taxation practitioners and is involved in leading tax litigation in the country. They have secured favourable judgments for our company for sales tax and customs duty cases at the Provincial and Federal level’.
‘We have worked primarily with Raashid Anwer who stands out particularly due to his availability and effort he puts in to guide the company on any query we have. He will always make time for a meeting or a phone call whenever requested, no matter if he is travelling or busy with another case. The firm is also quick to update us if there is an issue they are working on that might be applicable to the company as well. Through this, they have alerted us to some matters that our finance team was not yet aware of, and have helped protect the company’s interest in a timely manner‘.
Pakistan Telecommunication Employees Trust.
Pepsi Cola International.
Gul Ahmed Textile Mills Ltd.
Procter & Gamble Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd.
Fatima Fertilizer Company Ltd
Indus Motor Company
Sapphire Textile Mills
- Successfully obtained relief from the High Court of Sindh for the General Insurance Industry of Pakistan whereby the Provincial Sales Tax Authority was attempting to levy sales tax on reinsurance policies bought by such Insurance Companies. The main contention before the Court was that such activity is not a service, but a contingent contract and a mandatory requirement of the law. The exposure of the Insurance Companies exceeds billions of rupees.
- Successfully obtained relief for Pepsi Cola International (Pvt.) Ltd. and Procter & Gamble Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd, who were being subjected to Sindh Sales Tax on services received from non-resident persons.
- Represented numerous companies, many of which in the textile sector, in a dispute over the imposition of Gas Infrastructure Development Cess.
A. Qadir & Company
A. Qadir & Company fields an excellent team that regularly advises clients on a broad spectrum of tax issues involving tax planning and strategy in addition to company law. Practice heads Abdul Qadir Memon and Ehtisham Qadir are seasoned practitioners. Qadir also routinely represents clients before the courts of Pakistan in various tax disputes.
Khaadi (SMC-Private) Limited
Arabian Sea Enterprises Limited
Pie in the Sky (Private) Limited
Union Fabrics (Private) Limited
Parazelsus Pakistan (Private) Limited
Fidelity Insurance Brokers (Private) Limited
M-Liberty Insurance Brokers (Private) Limited
Attock Refinery Limited
Aisha Steel Mills Limited
Abudawood Trading Company Pakistan (Private) Limited
Premier Cables (Private) Limited
Gray Mackenzie Restaurants International (Private) Limited
Taj Medical Complex Limited
HSJ Steel Industries
Dadabhoy Investments (Private) Limited
Professional Associates (Private) Limited
Sukkur Beverages (Private) Limited
Iqbal Usman Kodvavi Securities (Private) Limited
EA Consulting (Private) Limited
MBI Industries (Private) Limited
Power Cement Limited
Lowe & Rauf (Private) Limited
Stahl Pakistan (Private) Limited
National Refinery Limited
AKD Securities (Private) Limited
Creek Developers (Private) Limited
AKD Investment Management Limited
Relacom Services (Private) Limited
China Yuncheng Platemaking Company (Private) Limited
Khaadi Corporation (SMC-Private) Limited
F&M Ventures (Private) Limited
- Acting as counsel for Attock Refinery Limited in relation to the filing of appeals before the Customs Appellate Tribunal against orders of the Collector of Customs.
- Acting as counsel for Oil & Gas Investments Limited in relation to the filing of an appeal before the Appeals Commisioner against order under Section 122(1) of the Income Tax Ordinance 2001 for a tax demand of PKR 155,716,465.
- Acting as counsel for Premier Cables (Private) Limited in relation to filing a constitutional petition under Article 199 against amendments made through Finance Act 2019 in Section 65B of the Income Tax Ordinance 2001 before the Sindh High Court.
Raja Mohammed Akram Co.
Raja Mohammed Akram Co. has a broad tax practice that frequently advises on contentious matters for leading corporations, banks and public entities. The team is well-placed to advise local and international EPC contractors and equipment suppliers on various taxation disputes that arise during the course of power generation and infrastructure projects. The team is also well-versed on tax issues that overlap with labour law issues under the able co-leadership of Aneesa Agha and Basil Nabi Malik .
Harappa Solar (Private) Limited
Mahmood Group of Industries
Roomi Enterprises (Private) Limited
Kathai-II Hydro (Private) Limited
Amina Ashraf, proprietor of M/s Amanco
Hyundai Nishat Motors (Pvt) Ltd
Bank of Khyber
Fauji Fertilizer Bin Qasim Limited
Fauji Fertilizer Company Limited
Al-Burooj Property Pvt Ltd
- Represented M/s Amanco before the High Court of Sindh at Karachi, challenging a notice of anti-dumping duties issued by the National Tariff Commission (NTC) Pakistan, in the investigation of alleged dumped imports of uncoated writing and printing paper.
- Filed a suit on behalf of Fauji Fertilizer Bin Qasim Limited and Fauji Fertilizer Company Limited before the Sindh High Court, impugning the levy of Gas Infrastructure Development Cess on the clients’ industrial gas connections by the Sui Southern Gas Company Limited and the Mari Petroleum Company Limited.
- Represented Al-Burooj Property Pvt Ltd at Sindh High Court challenging a show cause notice issued by the Benami Transactions Adjudicating Authority alleging non-declaration of the income tax returns of the property in question.