Tax in Pakistan
FGE Ebrahim Hosain
FGE Ebrahim Hosain's first-rate tax practice represents clients on all aspects of contentious and customs-related matters before government authorities and the Superior Courts of Pakistan. The team has a proven track record of advising major clients on the full range of tax issues from corporation and sales tax through to property taxes. In addition, the team has represented conglomerates, airlines, banks, insurance companies and advertising firms in litigation before the Sindh High Court on disputed issues of tax liability. The team is headed by Khwaja Hosain and Zahid Ebrahim, who are both well respected.
Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited
Pakistan Cricket Board
Peridot Developers (Pvt.) Limited
National Insurance Corporation Limited
National Fertilizer Corporation
Mindshare and Group M
Kuwait Real Estate Company Limited
Tourism Promotion Services Pakistan
Associated Biscuits International Limited
Arabtec Pvt Limited
Tourism Promotion Service
Novo Nordisk Pakistan
Port Qasim Authority
- Acting for GroupM Pakistan in a dispute over the recovery of an alleged tax liability relating to an adjustment of input tax.
- Advised Schneider Electric Pakistan on the imposition of an additional minimum value-added sales tax under rule 58B of the Sales Tax Special Procedure Rules 2007.
- Acted for the National Insurance Company, a corporate entity managed by the government of Pakistan, in relation to a disputed assessment of property tax imposed and levied by the Karachi Cantonment Board on one of its multi-purpose buildings.
- Advised Port Qasim Authority on whether an authority established and managed by the federal government is liable to tax under the Sindh Sales Tax on Services Act 2011.
- Acted as counsel for the Pakistan Cricket Board in a challenge to the application of sales tax on services by the Punjab Revenue Authority.
Axis Law Chambers
Axis Law Chambers is developing an excellent reputation for its work on tax and customs-related matters. Other strengths lie in tax-related appellate litigation. The team is known for its taxation advice to foreign and local clients, as well as its representation of corporate clients before tax tribunals, and also routinely represents clients in the High Court in matters involving the imposition of sales tax, income tax and customs duty. The names to note are Waqqas Mir, who regularly appears in the Pakistani courts on behalf of major corporations and public sector organisations in tax disputes, and Sameer Khosa.
Federal Board of Revenue
Punjab Revenue Authority
Honda Atlas Cars (Pakistan) Limited
Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited
Nishat Chunian Limited
- Representing Honda Atlas Cars Pakistan in a case to defend a tax liability of PKR1bn.
- Defending the Punjab Revenue Authority as respondent in multiple petitions in the Lahore High Court.
- Representing Nishat Chunian in a writ petition challenging the deduction of a disputed amount assessed under the super tax regime.
- Engaged by a client to challenge rules 8 and 9 of the Luxury Tax House Rules 2014 before the Lahore High Court.
- Representing Honda Atlas Cars Pakistan in a tax reference under section 133 of the Income Tax Ordinance 2001.
Khalid Anwer & Co. has a strong track record of acting in major tax litigation. Jawwad Qureshi has a particular focus on contentious tax issues and Raashid Anwer is another well-known name for his work on a diverse range of tax matters.
- Successfully represented over 45 companies from various sectors in a challenge to the Gas Infrastructure Development Cess Act 2015 before the High Court of Sindh.
- Successfully challenged the decision of the Federal Board of the Revenue not to grant an exemption to the Pakistan Telecommunication Employees Trust.
- Acting in a challenge to the imposition of federal excise duties.
- Acting for the University of London in litigation over an attempt to collect income tax from the university.
- Successfully represented Pepsi-Cola before the Lahore High Court in relation to a demand for excise duty.
RIAA BARKER GILLETTE is particularly recommended for its work on contentious tax matters. The team has extensive experience of advising on income tax appeals. The trade department is headed by the well-regarded Mayhar Mustafa Kazi.
Other key lawyers: