BAHR’s ‘absolutely top-of-the-line’ practice provides ‘down-to-earth and honest advice’ combined with ‘excellent business understanding and technical skills’. The full-service department works closely with the corporate and M&A team on tax transactions and is also singled out in the market for its tax litigation experience and transfer pricing expertise. Joachim Bjerke heads up the group and is a leading name in transfer pricing work, while Jan Jansen focuses on petroleum tax work; other key sectors for the team include the shipping, renewable and real estate industries. Peter Hammerich leads the firm’s asset management and private equity team, Anne Sofie Bjørkholt primarily focuses on the real estate sector, and Camilla Jøtun and Ole Andreas Dimmen were promoted to the partnership in 2020.
Tax in Norway
Other key lawyers:
Jan Jansen; Peter Hammerich; Anne Sofie Bjørkholt; Camilla Jøtun; Ole Andreas Dimmen; Frode Talmo
‘I find the tax lawyers at BAHR absolutely top of the line when it comes to tax legislation and rulings. In addition they are very good at advising on transaction specific details and how this possibly may affect the tax positions and vice versa. Also, me and my colleagues are very pleased with the “down to earth” and honest advice they give, they do not try to oversell any “juicy” tax advice – but instead they give clear and concise advices based on realistic assumptions.’
‘We mainly work with Joachim Bjerke and Frode Talmo. I think both Joachim Bjerke and Frode Talmo are among the absolute top tax lawyers in Norway. They are very good in legal assessments, and combine this with excellent business understanding and technical skills. This goes both for evaluation of tax implications, but also combined with excellent understanding of how an acquisition / reorganisation may be structured from a company law and financial perspective.’
‘Very good sector knowledge and high service level.’
‘Camilla Jøtun is the lead partner with respect to tax discussions. Very good sector knowledge and high service level.’
Equinor (previously Statoil)
DNB Scandinavian Property Fund
- Advising a number of major oil companies on cutting-edge issues relating to the tax deductibility of joint R&D projects on the Norwegian Continental Shelf.
- Assisted various large-scale industrial groups with VAT audits carried out by the Norwegian VAT authorities.
- Represented Equinor (previously Statoil) in proceedings against a Norwegian municipality regarding property tax applied to a pipeline transporting condensate from an offshore oilfield to an onshore processing plant.
Deloitte Advokatfirma AS has an excellent full-service tax practice, advising on matters including corporate taxes, VAT and transfer pricing work, tax management issues, global employer services and tax controversies. The practice is also handling increasing amounts of tax litigation, with Anette Fjeld leading the disputes team. The group is split into multiple segments: Audun Frøland leads the general tax group, Hans Martin Jørgensen leads the transfer pricing practice, Alexander With is leader of the indirect tax team, Stig Sperre is the main contact for the global employer services group, and Per C Evers is the key name for tax management consulting work. Rolf Saastad and Henriette Holmen advise on M&A-related tax issues, while Torill Aamelfot heads up the family business services group.
Audun Frøland; Rolf Saastad; Hans Martin Jørgensen; Alexander With; Stig Sperre; Per C Evers; Torill Aamelfot; Anette Fjeld; Henriette Holmen
Other key lawyers:
‘Good at being available to us as clients. Resourceful and pragmatic as advisors.’
‘Per Evers is very hands-on. Hans Martin Jørgesen offers strong support on offshore TP issues. Stig Sperre is inventive.’
‘A wide range of competent personnel within all disciplines, especially M&A and transactions. The team members have very good communication skills and business knowledge. As far as prices are concerned, Deloitte Norway are often cheaper than the competition.’
‘Daniel Herde and Rolf Saastad are excellent tax professionals with a broad tax background. They are both easy to work with and come highly recommended.’
Otello Corporation ASA
Bane NOR SF
- Successfully acted for an individual in a trial before the Supreme Court regarding Norwegian social security law.
Indirect tax specialist Øystein Arff Gulseth heads up the department at EY Norway, which is divided into seven different service offerings encompassing indirect tax, financial services issues, international tax, transfer pricing work, business taxes, people advisory services, transactional work and global tax compliance. The group also leverages the firm’s technology knowledge to advise on the tax aspects of blockchain, cryptocurrencies and AI, and expanded its tax litigation expertise in 2020 with the recruitment of Hanne Skaarberg Holen from Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS. Other key names include corporate tax expert Aleksander Grydeland, Gjert Melsom, who focuses on technology taxes; VAT specialist Agnete Haugerud and indirect tax litigator Per Oskar Tobiassen. Mette Granheim leads the transfer pricing group, which includes Øyvind Hovland.
Øystein Arff Gulseth
Other key lawyers:
Hanne Skaarberg Holen; Aleksander Grydeland; Gjert Melsom; Agnete Haugerud; Per Oskar Tobiassen; Mette Granheim; Øyvind Hovland
Gjensidige Pensjonsforsikring AS
Crown LN AS
Taste Of North
Møller Eiendom Holding AS
KLP Eiendom Oslo AS
Orange Business Norge AS
- Representing Gjensidige Pensjonsforsikring AS in a landmark VAT case in the Supreme Court.
- Advised Crown LNG AS on its funding of an LNG gas terminal with a Security Token Offering of $200m.
- Assisted Taste of North AS with a principle real estate taxation matter.
KPMG Law Advokatfirma AS, Norway provides ‘sustainable solutions to business-critical matters’ and has ‘unique competence in interpreting complex tax questions’. With substantial expertise in the oil and gas, offshore, energy, real estate, technology and finance sectors, the full-service practice excels in the full spectrum of tax mandates with particular expertise in corporate tax, transfer pricing, indirect tax, litigation and tax planning matters. Across the group’s multiple focus areas, Cathrine Bjerke Dalheim leads the global mobility services team, Svein G. Andresen leads on transfer pricing mandates, Per Daniel Nyberg focuses on international tax, Thor Leegaard acts on M&A work, and Oddgeir Kjørsvik handles indirect tax issues. Anders H. Liland is the key contact for tax litigation and Jan Samuelsen excels in petroleum tax work.
Anders H. Liland; Thor Leegaard; Jan Samuelsen; Cathrine Bjerke Dalheim; Per Daniel Nyberg
Other key lawyers:
Svein G. Andresen; Oddgeir Kjørsvik
‘The combination of subject matter expertise, in-depth knowledge about direct and indirect tax implications as well as relevant industry matters enables KPMG Law Advokatfirma AS to provide sustainable solutions on business critical matters within direct and indirect taxation. They deliver same or better tax work than any other Norwegian firm.’
‘Per Daniel Nyberg – in-depth understanding of both commercial and legal aspects which enables him to provide to-the-point guidance on complex business matters as few others, if any, can. He also has excellent capabilities to collaborate across multiple levels of KPMG in Norway. Thor Leegaard – is very technically skilled and a great person to work with. Smart and commercially oriented.’
‘Anders H. Liland – has a wealth of experience and is a very good tax technical lawyer. If I had a tax dispute, he is the first to call. He is also truly impressive as a tax lobbyist towards the Norwegian Parliament and is clearly a leading individual. Cathrine B. Dalheim – is very dedicated and highly qualified. Pragmatic with a high level of service. Oddgeir Kjørsvik – provides deep VAT technical knowledge and provides valuable advice in the VAT area.’
‘They are skilled within domestic and international tax’
‘They are skilled and proactive and know the business they give advice on.’
‘Unique competence in considering and interpreting complex legal tax questions.’
‘It has been easy to work around issues and questions that need to be resolved. The follow-up from the company has been very good. Value for money is as expected. High professional competence.’
‘We have worked with several of their attorneys. Anders H. Liland has been the company’s responsible lawyer for all our cases. The lawyers’ practical approach to issues and the ability to understand our business, and high professional competence and insight.’
‘I believe the KPMG Law Norway is very service-minded and client dedicated. They are up to date on the latest in corporate tax whether that is transfer pricing, new rulings and potential tax issues. In that respect they are proactive and contact us whenever they believe an issue could affect our company. The leading tax law firms are in general very able in their fields. I would say KPMG Law Norway stands out as one of the best. Their strength is that they have many resources and are capable to offer advice in an array of tax issues.’
‘My contact point is Per Daniel Nyberg, partner in KPMG Law Norway. Per Daniel is a very pleasant, service-minded and competent representative from KPMG.’
Ocean Yield ASA
Madison Real Estate
Blackstone Real Estate Partners IV
Sichuan Road and Bridge Group
Obraschón Huarte Lain
UPB AS, Latvia
Acciona Infrastructuras SA
NCC Construction AS
Skanska Norge AS
Pareto Securities AS
- Assisted the renewable energy investment fund Nysnø Klimainvesteringer with its acquisition of Norsun.
- Assisted a client with a major tax audit regarding the exit taxation of vessels.
- Assisted a client in the finance sector with modelling and completion of a reorganisation of a listed group involving subsidiaries in more than 20 jurisdictions with local implementation assistance.
With ‘a very customer-oriented approach’ and ‘high competence’, Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS acts for a range of major multinationals, private equity funds, venture capital clients and seed capital companies including Equinor, Telenor and Storebrand. Clients praise the group’s expertise in the energy and renewables sector; the team also handles tax litigation, transfer pricing issues, international taxes, fund mandates and estate work. Marius Holm Rynning heads up the practice and also leads the asset management team. Other key individuals include litigators Finn Backer-Grøndahl and Ståle R Kristiansen, international tax expert Espen Ommedal in Bergen, and indirect tax group head Bjørn Christian Lilletvedt Tovsen. Hanne Skaarberg Holen departed to EY Norway in early 2020.
Marius Holm Rynning
Other key lawyers:
Finn Backer-Grøndahl; Ståle R Kristiansen; Espen Ommedal; Bjørn Christian Lilletvedt Tovsen
‘High competence in relevant subjects. High integrity.’
‘Very high integrity and as a client I feel that the lawyers are taking care of my interests.’
‘Bjørn Christian Lilletvedt Tovsen is a well experienced Lawyer who is proactive and solution-oriented and is pleasant to work with.’
‘The Tax team is very customer-oriented and has a high level of customer care in their activities.’
‘Finn Backer-Grøndahl is very qualified, has an engagement and passion for tax law with trustworthy advice. He is also a very good trial lawyer.’
‘Bjørn Christian Lilletvedt Tovsen – calm and professional approach. Pleasant personality to work with.’
‘The strengths of the tax team is that they have knowledge on both tax law and the renewable energy business.’
‘They are very good lawyers with knowledge and skills within tax law. They are easy to talk with which we believe improve the advice and services.’
TGS NOPEC Geophysical Company ASA
Skatteklagenemnda (the Tax Appeal Board)
Westfal Larsen AS/ Masterbulk Pte Ltd.
Knutsen NYK Offshore Partners LP
- Acting for Storebrand International Private Equity V Ltd in a Supreme Court case regarding the Norwegian tax treatment of non-Norwegian registered mutual funds.
- Represented TGS Nopec Geophysical Company ASA in a criminal case related to the alleged abuse of the provisions on exploration refunds under the Norwegian Petroleum Tax Act.
- Represented the Norwegian Tax Appeal Board in a court case where the Norwegian Ministry of Finance filed a law suit against the Norwegian Tax Appeal Board to annul its decision in favour of five different tax payers.
Wiersholm’s ‘experienced, effective and solution-oriented’ tax practice is ‘one of the top teams in Norway’ thanks to its expertise in tax planning, transfer pricing and tax litigation issues. Under the ‘excellent leadership’ of Bettina Banoun, who handles corporate taxes, international tax and tax litigation, the group acts for a broad range of domestic and international clients including Equinor, Ikea and Orkla. Clients also praise the ‘very knowledgeable and commercial’ Morten Goller, tax litigator Andreas Bullen and Nicolay Vold, who is a key contact for tax issues arising from corporate transactions, particularly cross-border mandates.
Other key lawyers:
Morten Goller; Andreas Bullen; Nicolay Vold
‘Wiersholm is one of the top firms in Norway. Wiersholm is chosen this time for their competence on property tax. The team is great – I like a team that helps out to set the strategy in a legal issue and set the direction and gives the client tasks in order to achieve what the client wants to achieve.’
‘Good professional competence, quick answers to inquiries, good lawyers who take clients seriously.’
‘Professionally skilled, committed, as a client you are taken seriously, encouraging, always in a good mood, you always feel prioritised. The partner I have used is Bettina Banoun.’
‘Strong tax practice.’
‘Morten Goller – very knowledgeable, commercial and pleasant to work with. Andreas Bullen – very strong technical competence and pleasant to work with’
‘Experienced, effective, solution oriented, great time management.’
‘Bettina Banoun, she brought in many years of her experience within Corporate Income Tax Law, hereunder, anti-avoidance doctrine developed in Norway via case law. Excellent leadership and guidance throughout the engagement, always present personally, delegation to associates only to the extent necessary, proactive, responsive, knowledgeable, not a minute felt like a waste of time.’
Ocean Rig UDW, Inc.
SATS Group AS
Yara International ASA
- Represented 3,400 tax payers before The Norwegian Supreme Court in a case regarding property tax imposed by the Oslo city council, which resulted in a payback of NOK400m to 55,000 inhabitants in Oslo.
- Representing Equinor in a transfer pricing case involving transfer pricing of natural gas liquids.
- Representing SATS Group AS in a case against the tax authorities regarding the legality of tax surcharge.
Led by Anders Myklebust, Wikborg Rein’s tax practice has notable expertise across the offshore, shipping, petroleum and real estate sectors and works closely with the firm’s corporate and real estate departments to handle the tax aspects of wider transactions. The team also assists with VAT work, tax structuring issues and tax litigation, and acts for a notable client roster, which includes Norsk Hydro, DNB and Jotun. Myklebust and Kaare Andreas Shetelig are the key names for contentious tax mandates, and Are Zachariassen primarily handles transactional tax work; Myklebust also assists with corporate tax matters, restructurings and transfer pricing issues.
Other key lawyers:
Kaare Andreas Shetelig; Are Zachariassen
Norsk Hydro ASA
Fred. Olsen Windcarrier
Oil Taxation office
Stiftelsen Norsk Rikstoto
The Norwegian Ministry of Defence
- Representing Norsk Hydro ASA in a dispute related to real estate tax.
- Representing Stiftelsen Norsk Rikstoto in connection with VAT claims.
- Representing the Oil Taxation Office in various transfer pricing disputes.
The practice at Advokatfirmaet Schjødt is particularly known for its expertise in international corporate tax structuring work, acting for groups and joint ventures and assisting with tax planning issues on cross-border transactions, transfer pricing work and real estate tax mandates. The team also handles complaints and legal proceedings against the tax authorities. Practice head Morten Sandli has wide-ranging experience encompassing management investment programs, tax due diligence, VAT issues and interest deduction limitation rules. Cecilie Amdahl focuses on the tax aspects of corporate structures, Hugo Matre handles tax litigation, and Trond Larsen specialises in indirect tax work. Marius Sollund is also a key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Cecilie Amdahl; Hugo Matre; Trond Larsen; Marius Sollund; Jana Johnsen
‘High quality throughout the entire practice. Specialists in various areas work together to provide seamless advice on big transactions.’
‘Morten Sandli is an excellent adviser on transactions. He combines technical knowledge and commercial understanding to provide excellent advice and input.’
‘Besides their very good knowledge of corporate tax and tax matters for the different shareholders, they take time to explain and make you understand the different challenges.’
‘Schjødt always acts professionally. The firm provides tax advice based on deep knowledge. what is outstanding is also that the response time is very short.’
‘Our contact is Marius Sollund, partner. He has a nice personality, is professional and responds very quickly to our requests. Trond Larsen has deep knowledge of tax matters.’
‘The past two years I have worked closely with Morten Sandli, partner re tax matters. His knowledge is excellent and he is always easy to reach and provides quick responses, which is very much appreciated!’
‘Jana Johnsen was exceptional. Extremely knowledgeable on US and Norway employment and tax laws. Responded quickly no matter the time of day or week. Made me feel like more than a normal customer. Would recommend her to anyone.’
Oslo S Utvikling
Aberdeen Asset Management
Steen & Strøm Norge
Albright Capital Management
Global Infrastruktur 2007
- Assisted the Topro Group with global transfer pricing documentation and related intra-group agreements.
- Advised the real estate company Entra Utleie AS (subsidiary of listed company Entra ASA) on a restructure whereby its property portfolio was separated through demerger into 14 single purpose property holding companies.
- Assisted Aker Biomarine AS with structuring the set-up for Epion Brands and Aker Biomarine’s new product KORI and transfer pricing policies and principles.
Arntzen de Besche focuses on the tax elements of acquisitions and restructurings. The group has a particularly strong offering for clients in the oil and gas, shipping, real estate, banking and finance, and insurance sectors, alongside niche expertise in tax issues associated with aircraft leasing. Both practice heads have considerable experience in tax litigation; Eyvind Sandvik handles large tax treaty and transfer pricing disputes, while Rune Tjomsås Andersen regularly acts in tax and company law matters.
Eyvind Sandvik; Rune Tjomsås Andersen
Neptune Energy Norge (previously Engie E&P Norge)
Lukoil Overseas North Shelf
ABN Amro Bank
Michael Baker Global Services, LLC (a division of Sallyport Global)
Den Norske Kirke
- Advised Lundin Petroleum and Lundin Norway on all aspects of the sale of 2.6% participating interest in the Johan Sverdrup Unit, including tax and tax-related issues.
- Assisted Moen Marin Group with all tax aspects of the sale of 100% of the shares of Moen Marin, a Norwegian shipbuilding company specialised within service vessels for aquaculture, to Scale Aquaculture.
- Advising Emilsen Rederi AS on the Norwegian Tonnage tax regime.
Espen Nordbø heads up the tax practice at Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS, which advises on a wide range of corporate tax and VAT issues encompassing transactional support, reorganisations, merger and demerger transactions and real estate issues. The department also houses a notably strong tax litigation practice; Goud Helge Homme Fjellheim is the key contact. Other key areas of work include pensions and social security issues and individual tax matters, and Nils Flesland Bull leads the indirect tax group.
Other key lawyers:
Nils Flesland Bull; Goud Helge Homme Fjellheim
‘Excellent knowledge of current law. Ability to find concrete solutions to complex problems.’
‘The company gives thorough evaluation of the matter. Leaves no stone unturned which results in predictability and transparency. Discuss law in a language easy to understand by common, non-law practitioners.’
‘Espen Nordbø – Exceptional in seeing the “big picture” and understanding the business model. A very good discussion partner for alternative business models and organisational solutions, in front at seeing solutions.’
‘Responsive, inclusive and good at listening to their customers.’
‘Nils Bull – Availability, Short response times with regards to delivery of advice, reports, documentation and high-quality advice/services.’
‘Very good at understanding the client’s business model and needs, and in proposing structural changes to better be able to optimise the organisation.’
The Norwegian Tax Authority
Sporveien– The Oslo Metro and Tramway
Acciona Ghella Joint Venture
Pareto Securities – real estate
NCC Property Development
Sparebank 1 Forsikring
Union Gruppen/Union Eiendomskapital
Santander Consumer Bank
H.I.G Capital and Realkapital Investor
Fearnley Project Finance
Helse Sør-Øst (South-Eastern Norway Regional Health Authority)
- Advised Finnish IT company Tieto on its merger with the Norwegian IT company EVRY.
- Advised Telenor on complex tax issues relating to a comprehensive restructuring process where approximately 200 properties were demerged into several SPVs in order to prepare for the sale of properties all around Norway.
- Provided tax advice to Parker Hannifin related to a Nordic cross-border restructuring, including a cross-border merger and the establishment of a new Norwegian branch.
Advokatfirmaet PricewaterhouseCoopers AS
With access to the firm's extensive global network, Advokatfirmaet PricewaterhouseCoopers AS is a top choice for both global and domestic tax work, with particular strength in the shipping and oil sectors. Ståle Wangen focuses on cross-border work, including corporate reorganisations, acquisition and sale structuring issues, and international tax planning work. He jointly heads up the team with M&A-related tax specialist Pål Heggernes and financial services and real estate sector expert Lars Helge Aasen. Morten Beck is recommended for his international tax practice.
Lars Helge Aasen; Ståle Wangen; Pål Heggernes
Other key lawyers:
Morten Beck; Hilde Thorstad; Steinar Hareide
‘Very strong competence and experience on tax structuring. Broad experience and deep knowledge allows them to solve very complex problems.’
‘Steinar Hareide is a very resourceful legal tax advisor, he is to the point and able to make very complex matters manageable for non-tax experts. He communicates efficiently, and is a pleasure to work with.’
Höegh LNG Holdings
- Assisted Sats ASA with listing due diligence and structuring of its $420m listing on Oslo Stock Exchange.
- Advised Société Générale on the sale of Norway’s largest leasing provider SG Finans AS to Nordea, with a €575m purchase price.
- Assisted Agilitas with tax and VAT vendor due diligence and structuring issues relating to the sale of Recover Nordic to EQT.
The full-service group at Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS handles an extensive slate of matters, including planning issues, tax due diligence, tax audits, tax complaints against the Norwegian authorities, and tax litigation. Central areas of expertise include domestic and cross-border transactions and reorganisations, employee share-based incentive programmes, and national and cross-border VAT work. Practice head Sverre Hveding focuses on providing tax advice to private equity and venture capital clients, Are Fagerhaug is the primary contact for indirect tax mandates, and Einar Bakko focuses on transactional work.
Other key lawyers:
Einar Bakko; Are Fagerhaug; Daniel Løken Høgtun; Bård Ivar Koppang
‘The company are highly skilled regarding general cases within property and tax questions, and understand our business and mind-set well.’
‘Selmer’s availability and all-round knowledge in tax and related matters, as well as their no-nonsense approach to tax matters, is appreciated.’
‘Sverre Hveding is always available, always solution-oriented and a very good team player with an eye for matters around the corner.’
‘Daniel Løken Høgtun and Are Fagerhaug are both very experienced and have good solutions to complex matters. They also have a great business understanding.’
‘A Norwegian power house within tax.’
‘Daniel Løken Høgtun is very to the point and makes complicated matters understandable.’
Solør Bioenergi Group
Sparebank 1 SR-Bank
Ølen Betong Group
Unacast Inc and Unacast
Møller Mobility Group
Fredensborg Eiendom Group
Voss Of Norway
Samhällsbyggnadsbolaget i Norden
Kongsberg Aviation Maintenance Services
- Acted as Statnett’s exclusive legal adviser in connection with VAT issues.
- Advised major Norwegian organisations Gramo, Norwaco, TONO and International Federation of Phonographic Industries (IFPI) collecting payment for IP rights towards the Norwegian tax authorities, on securing practical ways to handle VAT when collecting contributions on behalf of musicians, artists, composers, authors, publishers and other holders of IP rights.
Kluge Advokatfirma AS is distinguished by its expertise in energy tax and, in particular, its litigation work for major energy and petroleum companies. This strength was recently bolstered by the recruitment of tax advisory specialist Anders Heieren from Arntzen de Besche in late 2020. Practice head Amund Noss is regularly acts in litigation on behalf of the tax authorities and major oil companies, Frode Olsen handles transactional work, and Geir Even Asplin acts for family-owned corporates and high-net-worth individuals.
Other key lawyers:
Anders Heieren; Frode Olsen; Geir Even Aspelin
Total E & P Norge
State of Norway/Skatt øst (Tax East)
State of Norway/Sentralskattekontoret for storbedrifter (Central Office for Major Companies)
State of Norway/Sentralskattekontoret for utenlandssaker (Central Office for Foreign Tax Affairs)
Inmonitor (founder of Sportradar)
- Handling court cases for Total E&P Norge regarding the pricing of LNG.
- Acting for Inmonitor AS in a case of significant principle aspects, representing the Norwegian founders of Sportradar AG in Switzerland.
- Representing Gjensidigestiftelsen, which owns 62% of Gjensidige ASA in a case pertaining to the value of Gjensidige ASA when listed on the stock exchange in 2010.
SANDS stands out for its expertise in high-end transfer pricing and litigation mandates, as well as industry-specific work for fishing and aquaculture clients. Other areas of strength include cross-border advice and acting for start-up clients, particularly in the technology sector. Ulf Sørdal heads up the team. Other key names include litigation and international tax specialist Torgeir Fjeldskaar and John Olav Auran, who is an expert in VAT mandates.
Other key lawyers:
Torgeir Fjeldskaar; John Olav Auran; Ernst Ravnaas; Stig Nordal
‘Comprehensive team of advocates and specialists in each field.’
‘To-the-point. Prompt feedback. Effective delivery.’
‘The team has broad experience working with not only larger companies, but also smaller start-ups. SANDS understands how a start-up operates. They know their common struggles when dealing with the authorities when it comes to modern growth-companies.’
‘John Olav’s experience from working within the Norwegian Tax Authority is simply a “deal-maker”.’
‘In-depth knowledge of transfer pricing issues.’
MAN Bus & Truck Norge
SPEAR Africa Funds
FTI Consulting Group
- Advising Normet on a wide range of tax considerations linked to the entity’s sale of intangible assets from Norway to Switzerland.
- Advising Ytterstad Fiskeriselskap on all the tax issues linked to the demerger of fish quotas and a subsequent sale of shares.
- Acted for Comvie in an Appeal Court tax matter, concerning whether a waiver of claims from 30,000-plus customers relating to pre-paid power utility bills was taxable income for the company.
Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig fields an experienced team of tax law practitioners across six regional Norwegian offices. The department regularly advises on a wide range of work, including the structuring of transactions, valuation assignments and generational succession issues. M&A and tax specialist Fredrik Haberer Anfinsen joined the practice as its new head in mid-2020 from an in-house role. Other key names include Vidar Kleppe in Bergen and Eldar Nesset, who focuses on transactional work.
Fredrik Haberer Anfinsen
Other key lawyers:
Vidar Kleppe; Eldar Nesset
‘The tax practice is very skilled on domestic and internal tax law.’
‘They are skilled and proactive with regard finding solutions.’
‘Highly experienced team of partners and senior partners, having incredible credentials of advising clients across industries.’
‘Fredrik Haberer Anfinsen is absolutely thorough in his knowledge of subject matter and has a pragmatic approach to clients problems.’
‘The firm is composed of extremely sharp detail-oriented professionals, capable of providing cutting-edge precise legal advice.’
‘Fredrik Anfinsen’s broad knowledge of both legal and corporate matters puts him in the perfect spot for innovative, useful and reliable solutions to legal tax and corporate matters. He and his team gave important contributions to solve extremely complex and challenging tasks in a responsive, efficient and professional manner.’
‘Fredrik Haberer Anfinsen stands out and is a highly professional lawyer. He has very strong industry knowledge and combines tax expertise with finance experience, bringing a unique ability to see the full picture and give practical advice. Fredrik also has an ability to quickly grasp the commercial aspects of any matter and advise on a strategic level.’
‘Strong on M&A, international tax and valuation.’
Telia Company (formerly TeliaSonera)
Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures
Colliers International Corporate
- Advising Njord Securities on the acquisition in 2020 of Rosenlund Kontorbygg and Rosenlund Kontorbygg II.
- Advising Fazenda Utvikling, a Norwegian real estate developer, on the tax and VAT issues relating to its portfolio of property development projects.
- Assisting the founders and management of new Norway-based impact VC-funds Katapult Accelerator and Katapult Ocean, and the Norwegian AI-focused VC-fund Norwegian AI, with the formation of the funds, fundraising and the execution of the first investments of the funds.
The tax department at Advokatfirmaet Ræder AS advises on the full range of tax work, regularly handling planning and restructuring mandates, tax filings and litigation. Einar Heiberg heads up the team. Other notable team members include Hans Olav Hemnes, who specialises in tonnage tax and transfer pricing mandates, and Anne Gro Enger.
Other key lawyers:
Hans Olav Hemnes; Anne Gro Enger
‘High degree of professional capability. High extent of services.’
‘Speed in response and handling client care, with an economical mindset.’
‘Einar Heiberg has extensive practical legal experience and insight relating to many legal corporate subjects especially within contractual matters and tax. Very financially responsible in handling client matters, as well as in relation fee administration.’
‘Very happy with Hans Olav Hemnes’ knowledge and use of the law to execute the solution asked for.’
Kaare Berg AS
Ekeberg Bygg Holding AS
Purity IT AS
Utleiesenteret AS, Akershus Utleie AS and Høydespesialisten AS
Fiskum Næringspark AS
Thin Film Electronics ASA
Hafco Økonomi AS
- Advising one of the largest real estate owners in Norway, on various tax law and corporate law matters and strategic advice related to acquisitions and divestments.
- Advising a leading real estate developer on tax law matters related to property, and property transactions.
- Advising a real estate company on tax and corporate issues related to property and corporate restructurings prior to sales and further restructurings and assistance with pre-emptive rights of buying.
Brækhus Advokatfirma DA is recognised for the strength of its indirect tax practice, particularly in relation to international advisory work. The team is also active in the energy and financial services sectors. Nils Eriksen heads up the indirect tax practice, while income tax specialist Antonio Holstad is head of direct tax.
Antonio Holstad; Nils Eriksen
‘The tax practice of Brækhus is a solid and strong practice. Technically superb, very responsive and good in social contacts.’
‘Nils Eriksen is loaded with experience, technically of high quality, easy-to-go-to. Pleasant person.’
‘The firm is extremely knowledgeable about VAT issues in Norway, is very easy to contact, and responsive to questions. Their technical explanations are easy to read by both tax experts and non-tax experts alike.’
‘Members of the team have always acted with an extremely high degree of professionalism, whilst remaining friendly and approachable.’
BI Business School
BB Bank ASA
Arval (BNP Paribas)
Drawing on an extensive network of offices in the Nordic region, DLA Piper is praised for its expertise in the tax elements of corporate and capital markets transactions. The team is particularly strong advising financial services, real estate and construction clients. Preben Aas is notably active in the tax aspects of transactions, mergers and demergers; and Jonas Aartun leads the group.
Other key lawyers:
‘A strong determination to seek the basis for a tax claim, producing relevant advice and thus undermining poorly substantiated dispositions. In short: the ability to dig deeper.’
‘Valued quality; dedication above the usual norm; unsolicited and proactive updates and evaluation of developments and spot on evaluations of current standing in developments. Jonas Aartun in charge of entire process.’
OSO Hotwater Group
Møller Mobility Group (Volkswagen Møller Bilfinans)
- Advising Stor-Oslo Eiendom on all of the tax issues linked to its €50m acquisition of five properties from five different sellers in the suburbs of Oslo.
- Advising Pecunia on the purchase of an LLC which owns property, as well as on the restructuring of its ownership structure and related tax matters.
- Advising AIG in assessing tax risk in relation to multiple transactions where AIG offers W&I insurance.
The tax group at Advokatfirmaet Grette AS advises clients from a wide range of industries spanning the real estate, construction, financial services, technology, renewable energy and infrastructure sectors. The team is jointly headed up by VAT specialist Kari-Ann Mosti, who was promoted to partner in mid-2020, and corporate tax expert Anders Nordli, who joined from Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS in mid-2020. Former team co-head Cecilie Tollefsen departed for Wikborg Rein.
Kari-Ann Mosti; Anders Nordli
‘Great competence and skills within the tax and corporate field. A solution-oriented approach to complex issues and always available for the client.’
‘Anders Nordli is a highly competent tax lawyer. He is a pleasure to work with, and his experience, excellent legal insight and care for the client make him a go-to advisor for complex tax and corporate matters. His commercial understanding is also very good.’
‘Grette has strong individual tax lawyers, who together form a nice team that is able to compete with every firm in Oslo. Impressed by the high skills of the individuals and their ability to cover most aspects of the tax practice.’
‘Anders Nordli is experienced and extremely skilled. He is highly regarded.’
- Providing a client with tax and corporate advice related to the daily operations of companies, as well as assistance in relation the filing of income tax returns.
- Advising a client on a VAT audit.
- Advising a client on a complex real estate transaction, including the structuring and optimisation for VAT purposes, and tax and VAT due diligence.
At Advokatfirmaet Hjort, the group's transactional expertise spans corporate tax, shareholder tax, property tax, VAT, other indirect taxes and customs charges; and also leverages the firm’s dispute resolution expertise to act in tax litigation, regularly acting for clients against the tax authorities. Morten Fjermeros and Sigve Braaten jointly head up the team, which also includes Thomas Alnæs, who leads the firm’s transaction department.
Morten Fjermeros; Sigve Braaten
Other key lawyers:
The Confederation of Norwegian Enterprise
Etan Holding AS
Innherredsveien 14 ANS
Asker og Bærums Budstikke AS
- Assisting The Confederation of Norwegian Enterprise (NHO) with various questions regarding property tax.
- Assisting Ramfoss Kraftlag with the tax issues relating to a reorganisation assessment.
- Assisting Ironstone AS with several tax and corporate law issues in connection with an internal reorganisation of the Ironstone group.