Led by housing regeneration specialist Lee Pickett, the Newcastle-based team at DWF sits within the firm’s national housing product group. The practice stands out for its second successive appointment to the panel of Homes England, and also benefits from its panel appointments by sophisticated regional providers. The department undertakes work on a broad scope of housing-related issues, but has carved out a particularly strong reputation for advising on housing regeneration schemes, including social housing delivery.
Social housing in North
Other key lawyers:
Places for People Group
Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust
Thirteen Housing Group
Ascent Homes (Advance Northumberland)
Sunderland City Council
South Tyneside Council
South Tyneside Housing Ventures Trust
Progress Housing Group
North East Procurement Organisation
Manningham Housing Association
Calderdale Borough Council
West Lindsey District Council
- Advised Places for People on the acquisition of a portfolio of 115 new-build units under a golden brick structure across 12 schemes from Taylor Wimpey, with a social housing grant deployed to provide additional shared ownership dwellings.
- Assisted Riverside Group with the Auckland Park deal which involved local authority and Homes England grant funding and will see Riverside deliver approximately 100 new affordable homes in the first phase of a large Bishop Auckland development.
- Advising Kirklees Council in relation to Dewsbury Riverside, an urban extension of 4,000 homes.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP provides the full scope of legal services in relation to both contentious and non-contentious social housing issues. In the non-contentious space, the team is noted for its recent high-value work involving stock rationalisations, large-scale voluntary transfers (LSVTs) and property management matters. In acting for large national and regional providers as well as local authorities, the team is able to rely on the expertise of the firm’s network nationwide. Residential property specialist Nigel Emmerson leads the department.
‘My experience working with Womble Bond Dickinson’s social housing team has proved invaluable. Its specialist knowledge and practical advice is key in enabling matters to run smoothly; we are able to call on several individuals on different aspects of social housing, such as tax, consultation and property, with all this being integrated. The team is quick to offer solutions to difficult issues and always finds a way to resolve matters.‘
Places for People Homes
Accent Housing Group
Westminster City Council
Derwent Housing Association
Thirteen Housing Group
Leeds City Council
York Housing Association
Cotman Housing Association
- Acting as lead adviser to Karbon Homes, one of the largest housing associations in the North East, owning and managing over 30,000 homes, in relation to its ongoing development programme.
- Acting for the Bernicia Group on a range of tenancy management issues including claims to possession, injunctions to tackle anti-social behaviour, committals for breaches of orders, and defending housing disrepair claims.
- Assisting Accent Housing Group with the sale of the supported living part of its business to another registered provider.
Ward Hadaway ‘goes the extra mile’ in acting for a variety of registered providers operating on a local, regional and national scale. Julia Thomson and Colin Hewitt lead the practice, which handles matters ranging from development advice to low-cost home ownership disposals. The team can also draw upon the expertise of the firm's Leeds office, where national social housing group leader John Murray is a go-to contact. Fiona Wharton departed to Wrigleys Solicitors LLP .
‘The social housing team goes that extra mile – it is always available at the end of a phone line for general advice and assistance.‘
- Advised the Bernicia Group on draft development framework documents.
- Assisted Newcastle Parks and Allotments Trust with the transfer of all parks and allotments in Newcastle City to a newly formed trust.
- Assisted Livin Housing with the land-led development of a large site.