Ward Hadaway has an excellent reputation for acting on a wide range of tax issues arising in the context of investments, restructuring and exit planning. The department operates a single partner model, with practice head Paul Christian utilising his corporate law background to assist businesses with their reorganisations, acquisitions and disposals, and employee share arrangements. The group is also able to draw on the expertise of the firm's other departments, particularly the private client practice.
Corporate tax in North
‘Highly experienced in all aspects of corporate transactions. Other departments at the firm are also available to provide specialist knowledge – for example, in relation to trusts. Work is well-arranged to meet deadlines.‘
‘Paul Christian’s expertise is second to none.‘
- Advised the shareholders and the management team of Perfect Image on tax issues relating to the management buyout of the business backed by Chiltern Capital.
- Acted for the shareholders of Crescent on the tax-related aspects of the sale of Crescent to RelyOn Nutec.
- Advised TruStack on the tax aspects and the structuring of the merger of three IT companies.
At Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP, Jeremy Smith leads the single-partner business tax practice, which is regularly instructed in relation to tax matters in the areas of restructuring, banking and employment. The team has placed itself at the forefront of corporate and property transactions, for which it often acts in conjunction with the firm’s corporate and real estate departments in Newcastle and nationwide.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very accessible and practical advice.’
REG Power Management
Vertu Motors plc
Lambton Share Property Company
Commercial Estates Group
- Advising Commercial Estates Group on tax issues arising in relation to a number of land promotion agreements entered into with owners of land.
- Acting for Quilter on its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Charles Derby Group.
- Acted for the target company Lewmar Marine on tax issues concerning the client’s acquisition by Lippert Components.