The Addleshaw Goddard team, which is described as ‘a powerhouse in the property litigation sector’, acts for a broad client base comprising of large institutional investors, household name tenants and financial institutions. One of the names to note at the firm is Charles Jagger, who has particular experience of advising corporate occupiers on matters such as dilapidations claims and high-value break notices, among other issues. Chris Perrin is experienced in representing clients in proceedings at the High Court, Supreme Court and Court of Appeal. Legal director Andy Feehan covers a wide array of real estate cases, such as those concerning rent reviews, high-value dilapidations, complex repossessions and service charges. Managing associate Patricia Love is also recommended.
Property litigation in North West
Julie Middlemass (Leeds)
Other key lawyers:
Charles Jagger; Chris Perrin; Andy Feehan; Patricia Love
‘Patricia Love is outstanding in terms of professionalism, subject matter knowledge and problem solving. Patricia is proactive, and has a way of putting things on track such that everyone involved gets on board with the way forward.’
‘Patricia Love stands out – she has a brilliant legal mind.’
‘I have worked with Chris and his team for a number of years. They listen, consistently provide reliable, pragmatic, commercially viable advice, enabling me to speed up my decision making process. They are available when I want and provide a good turnaround.’
‘Chris Perrin is a trusted adviser to me and my team.’
‘My experience of the AG Manchester team is that they have first class quality work, rivalling anything I have seen in a top London practice. They carry out that work to a very high standard.’
‘I have worked a great deal with Chris Perrin. I see Chris as one of the future key players in property litigation. He has superb work and great understanding of the subject both on a legal and practical level.’
‘A powerhouse in the property litigation sector.’
‘The team has strength in depth. They are all friendly and knowledgeable. Also very responsive.’
Aberdeen Standard Life
Bruntwood Group of Companies
Marks and Spencer
Midos Group/Davlea Estates
Property Alliance Group
- Acting for Angelgate Manchester Buyers Limited (AMBL) and its beneficiaries (approximately 320 individuals predominantly based in the Far East) were successful in the High Court in obtaining a declaration that the funds obtained from the sale of a failed residential development site in Manchester belonged to the investors and not the creditors of the developer as a whole.
- Advising 150+ individual property investors on a group action professional negligence action arising from a failure to advise that the property investment could constitute an unlawful collective investment scheme and therefore be voidable pursuant to FSMA.
- Successfully concluding longstanding High Court litigation for Standard Life against a high street supermarket operator concerning the conditional sale of a1 development site in Durham. The parties were in dispute over whether the proposed buyer had fulfilled certain pre-conditions which would have triggered a sale of the property.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP has a sizeable portfolio of local, national and international clients. It undertakes a full spectrum of litigated property matters for clients, including lease terminations and renewals, professional negligence, dilapidation claims and insolvency-related litigation. The practice is led by David McGuirk, whose ‘expertise in real estate litigation matters is second to none‘, with a notable specialism in disputes connected with residential and commercial property developments. Recently-promoted principal associate Alex Wright is one of the other key individuals in the team, as is ‘excellent and technically very able’ senior associate Joanne Mills, who has specialist knowledge of residential property and tenant insolvency. James Batham is another key individual.
Other key lawyers:
James Batham; Alex Wright; Joanne Mills
‘We have a great relationship with the real estate litigation team at Eversheds. They are very easy to approach and work with and always willing to go the extra mile – whether that is on day-to-day instructions or urgent new instructions.’
‘David McGuirk, Partner – David is extremely knowledgeable and very good at what he does. David’s expertise in real estate litigation matters is second to none and he is also excellent at spotting the commercial factors and drivers that need to be taken into account, which is very important to us.’
‘Joanne Mills, Senior Associate – Jo is very personable, down-to-earth and easy to work with. Jo is extremely thorough in everything that she does and always keen to highlight new and evolving areas in the industry, which is very useful for us.’
‘Very reliable and provide excellent, commercially-minded advice.’
‘David McGuirk stands out. His technical knowledge is excellent but his advice is pragmatic and not too legalistic. Very reliable.’
‘Responsive and accommodating.’
‘Collaborative environment, strong command structure, competitive rates.’
‘David McGuirk – heads the team brilliantly, very good strategist. Joanne Mills – excellent and technically very able, with astute judgment.’
Manchester Airports Group
The Co-Operative Bank PLC
European Tyre Enterprise Ltd (Kwik Fit)
European Metal Recycling Limited
- Instructed by Valley Brook Investments Limited in professional negligence proceedings against an architect who incorrectly stated the development potential of a property. In a significant victory, the court found in the client’s favour.
Drawing on a strong team of experienced lawyers, Hill Dickinson LLP acts for clients in a wide variety of complex property disputes. Practice head Kevin Lee is known for his expertise in rights of light, as well as mines and minerals claims, while Ralph Bullivant has experience of acting for retail tenants in cases involving contested lease renewals. Also recommended are legal directors Phil Parker (who is described as ‘practical, knowledgeable and responsive’) and Helen Evans, who is experienced in trespass cases and protester actions in the oil and gas industry.
Other key lawyers:
Ralph Bullivant; Phil Parker; Helen Evans
‘Phil Parker – practical, knowledgeable and responsive. Keen to get the best outcome for his client.’
London Southend Airport
First Transpennine Express Limited
First Group Plc
Transport for Greater Manchester Executive
- Acting for UKOG Plc (the largest UK onshore oil company) in leading and widely publicised anti-protest injunction proceedings.
- Defending London Southend Airport, the UK’s fastest growing regional airport, against 188 claims for compensation brought by neighbours pursuant to the Land Compensation Act 1973 following an extension of the runway.
- Defending Transport for Greater Manchester Executive in multimillion-pound claim brought by the head tenant of the iconic Deansgate Arches, who is seeking damages caused by water ingress, to leisure business operating within the arches.
The head of the ‘experienced and very capable team’ at DLA Piper is property litigator Martin Griffiths, who excels in disputes over developments and large-scale property portfolio management. Legal director Rachael Jones also takes a lead role in a number of litigated property matters, including lease renewals and dilapidations claims. Recent work included advising landlords on workarounds for Covid19-related restrictions on enforcement actions.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have had dealings with Rachael Jones over the past year on a number of property litigation cases. She is extremely knowledgeable about real property law, and all the relevant litigation procedures and tactics.’
‘An experienced and very capable team who are truly committed to securing the best result for their clients.’
‘Martin Griffiths – Partner, a cool head and a very safe pair of hands.’
‘Rachael Jones – Legal Director. Truly impressive. Very experienced in handling complex legal issues, great client care skills, manages pressured situations brilliantly. ’
‘I have worked with this team for many years and have always found them to be approachable and to give prompt, pragmatic and focussed advice.’
‘Rachael Jones – in several cases she has gone above and beyond, providing not only the advice required but also background and context. This provides a greater understanding of the litigation as a whole and allowed for a reasoned and considered decision to be taken.’
Liverpool Football Club
Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited
USF Nominees Limited (Unilever’s Pension Fund)
Cheshire West and Chester Council
FI Real Estate Management
St James’s Place UK Plc
- Acting for an institutional investor client in bringing a claim for an implied easement and/or rectification of title to give them access to their £20 million development site. Also pursuing the client’s previous solicitors for negligence in their acquisition of the site.
- Advising a real estate management company on pursuing removal of a restrictive covenant to allow a £13m residential development of its office tower. Also advising the client on defending an action brought by its landlord to forfeit its long leasehold interest in the office tower and apply pressure on negotiations regarding CPO compensation.
The ‘very pragmatic and approachable’ team at Shoosmiths LLP has recently focused on corporate occupier work, advising large corporations on their strategy in relation to Covid19 regulations, as well as handling disputes concerning developments. Wayne Nash, who leads the team, has expertise in the field of rights of light. Kirsty Black also plays a central role in the practice, taking the lead in a number of key matters.
Other key lawyers:
Kirsty Black; Richard Symonds; Ben Kelly
‘Very pragmatic and approachable.’
‘Ben Kelly is always at the end of the phone and willing to work with you to resolve the problem in the quickest and simplest way.’
‘Wayne Nash – exceptionally strong advice/no prevarication; has the strength of his own convictions, which produces some excellent results.’
Travelodge Hotels Limited
Allied London LLP
Select Property Group
London & Scottish Property Investment Management Limited
Watkin Jones & Son Group Limited
Morgan Sindall Group
Walgreen Boots Alliance (Boots UK/Boots Opticians/etc)
The Restaurant Group
Bensons for Beds
Odeon Cinemas Limited
- Acting for Sportsdirect.com Retail Limited in a leading role alongside several other high profile tenants in High Court proceedings issued by a landlord concerning withheld rent to be defended on the basis of arguments arising from the covid pandemic including frustration; implied term; supervening illegality and rent cesser and considered in light of the Supreme Court decision in FCA v Arch Insurance (UK) Ltd and others heard earlier this year.
- Advising occupiers, both corporate and private, on responding to service charge consultations in respect of proposed multimillion pound re-cladding of buildings in the wake of new fire safety legislation following the Grenfell fire; the issue being widely covered in the national press and the subject of draft legislation being considered by Parliament.
The team at Brabners LLP is jointly led by Andrew Rogers, Jeff Lewis and Helena Davies. Notwithstanding the challenges caused by Covid-19, the firm has been able to win work from new clients, in addition to attracting mandates from longstanding existing clients. The firm is seen as a go-to by developers and local authorities, as well as landlords and tenants. Liverpool-based legal director Hannah Carter, who works closely with Rogers and Davies, is experienced in commercial, residential and agricultural real estate litigation.
Andrew Rogers; Helena Davies; Jeff Lewis
Other key lawyers:
‘We changed legal representation during a land dispute, and when we engaged Brabners, their approach helped us to win the case. Their professionalism and expertise was invaluable to us during this case.’
‘I am impressed with the work ethic of the team in that I am able to communicate with a senior member out of hours whenever necessary, which is a real plus in fast-moving litigation.’
‘Helena Davies from Brabners has provided us with exceptional services. She is compassionate to our situation but also remains calm and professional in her advice.’
‘Andrew Rogers is particularly knowledgeable and adept in dealing with rates and council tax litigation. Steady, adaptable and unflappable approach produces results.’
‘I have worked extensively with Hannah Carter over the years and throughout she has always provided excellent and practical advice when dealing with a number of complex property matters. She anticipates outcomes ahead of time and understands the needs of our business and as such our business has benefitted by her dealing with matters quickly and efficiently.’
‘The property litigation team at Brabners offers ‘to the point’ advice, which enables us to make informed decisions about risks needed to be taken in dealing with property issues that arise. The ‘straight talking’ team members save us time in having to decipher long-winded advice.’
‘Andrew Rogers is the lead for our relationship and ensures matters are dealt with appropriately and at the right level of resource.’
‘The team have a good knowledge and understanding of property issues.’
Warrington Borough Council
Bestway (Well Pharmacy)
Doncaster Sheffield Airport Ltd
Associated British Foods
TJ Morris Limited (t/a Home Bargains)
Wirral Borough Council
Merseyside Pension fund
Martin McColl Limited
Primark Stores Limited
Peel Ports Group
Matalan Retail Limited
The Shaw Trust Limited
J W Lees
The Liver Building Co Ltd
Coal Industry Social Welfare Org
- Winning the tender in July 2020, the firm replaced four incumbent law firms as sole property advisers to Well. Now providing all the property litigation support for Well’s considerable portfolio in England and Wales (upwards of 700 units).
- Advised Wainhomes on a wholly successful reported case in the Upper Tribunal where a resident applied to modify restrictive covenants over his home.
- Advising Wirral BC on the redevelopment of Birkenhead Market, a key project in the regeneration of Birkenhead town centre.
DAC Beachcroft LLP
DAC Beachcroft LLP's real estate litigation team in Manchester stands out for its property asset management expertise, as well as its strengths in landlord and tenant matters, and property insolvency-related work. In addition, the group works with practitioners play a key role in development and regeneration projects. Recently-promoted partner Rachael Reynolds, who heads up the practice in Manchester, acts for a mix of private and public sector clients, including shopping centres, local authorities and developers. She is supported by senior associate George Taylor, who plays a key role in the practice’s health sector offering.
Other key lawyers:
‘We always receive a prompt and efficient service. The team understand our needs, our ultimate objectives and try to ensure that they are met.’
‘I have dealt with several members of the team for 15 plus years and they are always available, willing, proactive, as well as reactive when needs be, and efficient. Their technical knowledge and advice is first class and I don’t feel there is a fee, fee, fee type attitude as with other firms.’
Royal Mail Group
Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Limited
Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council for Greater Manchester Pension Fund
St Helens Borough Council
Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
Cheshire West and Chester Borough Council
Oldham Borough Council
Property Alliance Group Limited
Japan Centre Group Limited
Clas Ohlson Limited
Bradford City Council
Loreal (UK) Limited
Arthur J. Gallagher (U.K.) Limited
IQ Student Accommodation Services
HSS Hire Service Group Limited
GB Railfreight Limited
Sun Valley Limited
Cale Street Partners LLP
- Providing strategic advice to Royal London in connection with multiple retail CVAs and administrations, including Pizza Express, Caffe Nero, Clarks, New Look, Pizza Hut, LK Bennett and others, often on an urgent basis.
- Defending a tenant client, a major nationwide logistics operator, in relation to longstanding, complex and large scale dilapidations litigation with its landlord of former office premises. The claim is worth in excess of £1m.
- Advising a landlord client, a major shopping centre owner, in respect of a strategically key redevelopment of multi-let premises, including managing time-critical opposed renewal proceedings to meet the development programme.
J B Leitch Ltd is a well-known name among large-scale institutional property and asset landlords and managers. It handles a wide range of cases for clients, such as those concerning breaches of covenants, lease forfeiture, enfranchisement and right to manage. Also notable is that the team is sought after for its expertise in fire safety and other building safety measures. Director and principal solicitor Jonathan Leitch, who founded the firm, is knowledgeable about the law applicable to long leasehold residential and mixed-use properties. Legal director Philip Parkinson is another key individual.
Jonathan Leitch; Philip Parkinson
Other key lawyers:
‘Genuine niche firm specialising in highly technical and complex service charge litigation and debt collection; very practical and no-nonsense; real specialists.’
‘Despite having instructed the firm for so many years, the relationship never feels stale. They always make an effort to go the extra mile.’
‘Phil Parkinson’s brain is an enormous encyclopaedia of property litigation. He has a remarkable amount of experience both in his advisory work and litigation together with an incredible memory of previous cases, legislation and case law. Because of his vast level of experience, Phil is usually able to correctly predict the outcome of a case at a very early stage.’
‘Phil is supported by some great solicitors. Katie Edwards is most definitely a rising star in the property litigation world. She is all over the detail and no matter how complex and stressful a matter is, she deals with it with a smile on her face without fail. Katie is an absolute pleasure to deal with and extremely capable.’
‘A northern powerhouse whose clients range from the institutional to the wealthy individual. Provides value for money and incredible expertise, particularly in landlord and tenant issues.’
‘Philip Parkinson is the standout individual – unparalleled understanding of the leasehold world, both as to the legal issues but also the commercial drivers for his clients. He understands their needs perfectly.’
‘JB Leitch’s litigation team have built a track record of successful cases based on top quality advice making them our ‘go to’ firm for litigation. Their clear and helpful case experience and case commentaries are often published on their website and through social media.’
Ballymore Asset Management
Berkeley Group plc
Blenheims Estate & Asset Management Ltd
Blue Property Management UK Limited
Bloq Management Services Limited
Castle Estates Block Management Limited
Crabtree PM Ltd
E & J Estates
Encore Estate Management
Estates & Management Ltd
FirstPort Property Services Limited (previously Peverel)
Forte Freehold Management Limited
Foster Maddison Property Consultants
Freehold Managers plc
GEM Estate Management Ltd
HomeGround Management Limited
Inspired Property Management
Keppie Massie Ltd
Kinleigh Folkard & Hayward
Lamberts Chartered Surveyors Ltd
London Residential Management Limited
Long Harbour Ltd
Mainstay Residential Ltd
Mann Island Management Limited
Orion Land & Developments Ltd
Pier Management Limited
Proxim Property Management Ltd
Rendall & Rittner Ltd
Residential Management Group
Residents Quarter Ltd
Shenstone Properties Ltd
Slough Borough Council
- Advising Holding & Management (Solitaire) Ltd connection with a number of significant building defects affecting a large development, including fire safety issues and building safety issues with an estimated value of £8m.
- Successfully advising Abacus Land 1 (Propco 1) Ltd on a claim by commercial tenant in respect of building safety defects and building disrepair, with works valued at approximately £1m. Case considers new point of law for which there is no existing legal precedent relating to the liability of the parties to repair the property’s common parts. Judgment recently awarded in favour of the client, together with indemnity costs award.
- Advising an institutional landlord on forfeiture of a head lease, which included property values of approximately £12.2m.
Land Law LLP's practice is led by experienced property litigator Steven Jennings, who is ‘a true expert in his field‘. His work includes commercial landlord and tenant cases, such as those involving dilapidations and service charges, as well as restrictive covenant cases and matters relating to rights to light and other easements.
‘I have always received prompt attention, with the work carried out at a high level. Work delegated within the team is always overseen by a senior member. Steven Jennings is a stand out practitioner and provides solid legal advice coupled with good common sense. He invariably provides an opinion at the outset, having studied the relevant documents and correspondence and without the need to consult counsel.’
‘We work regularly with Steven Jennings. His knowledge is second to none and is highly respected because of this. His assertive style when approaching litigious issues gives us as the client a lot of confidence. Steven also brings a commercial approach to any issue. A combination of this with his industry knowledge helps set him a part from competitors.’
‘Steven Jennings is a true expert in his field when it comes to property litigation. What sets Steven apart is his solution-focused approach when providing advice and how tuned in commercially he is across everything he does.’
‘Steven Jennings has a tremendous wealth of experience in real estate litigation. Very approachable, commercial and professional.’
‘They are a very friendly practice to deal with and deal with all my instructions in a timely and professional manner. No matter how large or small an instruction they seem to deal with it in the same efficient manner.’
‘Land Law stands out from the crowd. Extremely helpful and approachable, available when needed, prompt and efficient in their dealings with you and quick to respond with solutions. The people I have dealt with have been of a great calibre. I would highly recommend them.’
‘Steven Jennings has extensive knowledge and experience and is a great problem solver. He is always available to speak with, is friendly and able to offer a solution which is sound, commercially based and very well explained.’
Peel Holdings and group companies
Watch This Space Limited
Beaconsfield Estates LLP
Trafford Bruntwood (Stretford Mall) LLP
Oddfellows Friendly Society
Eric Wright Group
Hollins Murray Group
Amari Metals Limited
- Assisting a development company that is developing a cleared site in the centre of Manchester upon which ten houses are to be built and has encountered major issues with regard to rights of light claims being made by the owners of surrounding properties. There has also been a major dispute concerning access to the site.
- Acted in respect of a dilapidations claim of circa £1million against a client’s former tenants relating to several industrial units in Rotherham.
- Supported clients who have operated a comedy venue for 20 years in arches under a viaduct which is owned by Transport for Greater Manchester. Clients’ premises have suffered from ingress of water emanating from the viaduct above.
Myerson Solicitors LLP's specialist real estate litigation team acts for regional and national developers facing a wide range of development constraints, such as rights of light, access rights and restrictive covenants. It also advises on contentious matters arising from overage agreements, promotion agreements and option agreements. Also notable is that the firm acts for commercial landlords, tenants, management companies and managing agents. Seán Hackett leads the team, which includes Laura Pile.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong in real estate litigation across the board, with a growing reputation in service charge litigation in the tribunals.’
‘Sean Hackett – his wide experience of landlord and tenant claims, and his attention to detail, enables him to provide robust practical advice for his clients. Laura Pile – efficient and effective, Laura is able to get to grips with complex claims quickly and guide her clients through tricky areas with consummate ease.’
‘I am extremely impressed by the advice received and the way the team have dealt with an extremely complicated property litigation issue.’
‘A dedicated, highly experienced team drawing upon strengths in various related disciplines and are able to respond quickly and provide focussed advice and representation.’
‘Hands-on involvement, like to think outside the box. The individuals are very well-versed in dealing with even the most complex and voluminous cases, and are extremely dedicated and meticulous in their preparation and presentation.’
Atmore Investments Limited
Diamond Resorts (Europe) Ltd
Philip J Davies (Holdings) PLC
Gladman Developments Limited
Monckton Properties Limited
Fortis Developments Limited
Brunswick Investor Company Limited
The Downes Partnership
Abbasi & Salek Partnership
- Advising Atmore Investments Limited in respect of its dilapidations claim against M&S who were the former tenants of the property who had entered into a guarantee and indemnity on the assignment of the lease to the tenant who subsequently entered into a CVA. The matter is complex in that the claim against M&S is sustained based on the fact the that indemnity was not compromised by the CVA.
- Advising Diamond Resorts (Europe) Ltd on its UK-based time share portfolio. Acted for the client in the most recent development in new classes of easements before the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.
- Advising Akzo Nobel in respect of its multimillion-pound rental portfolio. This demonstrates the team’s capabilities in commercial portfolio management for blue-chip corporations.
The team at Pannone Corporate LLP has a broad workload spanning development issues, professional negligence and lease covenants. The practice is led by property litigator David Brown, who is known for his strengths in contested lease renewals, dilapidations claims and handling general estate management issues for developer clients. Director Gemma Staples, who works with Brown, is a ‘first-rate property litigator' with a particular focus on the retail and telecommunications sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘We work with Gemma Staples whom we find very professional and thorough.’
‘The team work very well together, it doesn’t matter who you speak to, they always know what is happening with the case.’
‘Pannone Corporate strikes an excellent balance: they have the big-firm capacity to handle large and complex cases, but the small-firm responsiveness and personal touch. They have the flexibility and skills to manage cases that cross between different fields, for example real estate litigation that raises company law, insolvency or property damage issues.’
‘Gemma Staples (director) is a first-rate property litigator. She has masses of experience and keeps a cool head even in demanding and high-pressure cases. She has excellent commercial sense, having worked with a wide range of businesses, from multinationals to small family concerns.’
‘The whole property litigation team have been very responsive through the Covid pandemic despite most of the team working from home. They have shown adaptability to the changing corporate insolvency and property rights with the ongoing moratoriums.’
‘Whole team have been very supportive and responsive during this challenging period for tenants and landlords.’
Diamond Resorts Group
Manchester Central Convention Centre
Manchester City Council
Revolution Bars Limited
Slicker Recycling Limited
Total Fitness Health Clubs Limited
Transport for Greater Manchester
Tradebe Management Limited
West Yorkshire Combined Authority
- Advising a recycling company on a claim for trespass, nuisance and environmental contamination valued at in excess of £500,000. A highly complex matter involving the assessment of a variety of contaminants in soil, contributory contamination from historic use and other sources; and possible remediation strategies, which are dependent on the anticipated future use of the land in question.
- Acting for a property investment company pursuing a dilapidations claim valued at circa £300,000 against a former national retailer.
- Advising the owner of a number of retail and business parks on the recovery of rental arrears from various retailers throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and maximising % recovery.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP's ‘knowledgeable and collaborative’ team acts for clients in the utilities, infrastructure, electronic communications, development and financial services sectors. Practice head and ‘exceptional property litigator’ Michael Smith has particular expertise in issues relating to the Electronic Communications Code, and he has taken cases to the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
‘Michael Smith, partner, is an exceptional property litigator. He is an able lawyer, a master of coordinating substantial litigation and also a commercial team player.’
‘Close team, knowledgeable and collaborative with clients.’
Hanover Capital Limited
Retirement Villages Development Limited
Linnaeus Group Bidco Limited
- Acted for the successful landlord Hanover Capital Limited in a claim for the renewal of a tenancy of a telecommunication mast site. The claim concerned a determination of the new rent payable under a renewal lease of a telecommunications site ordered under the LTA 1954.
- Acting for Aviva in the case of EE Limited and Hutchison 3G UK Limited v (1) Aviva Investors Ground Rent Holdco Limited and (2) Aviva Investors Ground Rent GP Limited(‘Aviva’) TCR/141/2020 & LC-2020-68. Aviva is objecting to this application by EE Limited and Hutchison 3G UK Limited for the grant rights under paragraphs 20 and 26 of the Electronic Communications Code, to install electronic communications apparatus on the roof of property owned by Aviva.
- Acting for Retirement Villages Development Limited (‘RVDL’), which is within the Retirement Villages Group, in a dispute surrounding an option granted by Punch Partnerships (PTL) Limited over strategic development land.
TLT's varied portfolio of contentious property work includes landlord and tenant disputes, rent reviews, lease renewals and contractual disputes. Practice head Matthew Forrest has grown the practice to include work from major retailers, banks, developers, leisure operators and public sector clients. Working closely with Forrest is James Chadwick, whose clients include major financial institutions.
Matthew Forrest; James Chadwick
‘Difficult cases are their expertise. Always commercial and thinking outside the box. Also working exceptionally hard in order to get great results.’
‘Matthew Forrest – Partner – unflappable – a very good lawyer with a great deal of commercial understanding.’
‘TLT has an outstanding team with a number of highly impressive property litigators.’
‘James Chadwick is a very impressive solicitor, who is always on top of his brief and has a lot of good quality work with financial institutions.’
‘Deep relevant expertise based locally in Manchester.’
‘Easy to work with, clear communication, commercial, value for money.’
JD Sports plc/JD Sports Gyms
Covent Garden Market Association
Tim Horton (UK & Ireland)
Manchester Airport Group
Pets at Home, Vets 4 Pets and Companion Care Services
TUI Travel plc
Santander UK plc
Nationwide Building Society
Wasabi Co. Ltd
Seneca Property Limited
Eric Wright Construction Limited/Eric Wright Group plc
MCR Property Group
Morris & Perry Ltd/Morris & Perry (Gurney Slade Quarry) Ltd
- Advised Covent Garden Market on proceedings relating to the £200m redevelopment of New Covent Garden Market the UK’s largest wholesale market.
- Advising Pets at Home on multi-party High Court litigation concerning property defects and alleged disrepair.
- Instructed to oppose an ‘Aldi Application’ and defend an associated claim issued in the High Court (Business and Property Courts, Companies and Insolvency List) by Joint Liquidators of three development companies against the directors of the companies and other associated parties including the lenders as interested parties.
Weightmans LLP's diverse client base spans the technology, investment and public sectors. Practice head Sian Evans advises clients on all aspects of commercial and residential property litigation. Working with Evans is principal associate Peter Hall, who acts for large and small businesses, private individuals and public sector bodies. Hall places a particular focus on high-value landlord and tenant disputes, as well as issues connected with the redevelopment of land.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Hall; John Darnell
‘Provided clear concise advice on a range of property matters, good breadth of knowledge available across the team. Reporting and tracking of key dates via easy to use database.’
‘John Darnell – Always available for advice and great at providing options whilst ensuring keys dates etc are in hand and dealt with.’
‘Peter Hall is a stand-out. He thinks deeply about his cases.’
BDW Trading Limited (Barratts David Wilson Homes)
Clarion Housing Group
Emerson Group (Jones Homes)
Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM)
Derbyshire County Council
Markem-Imaje UK Limited
Various Eateries Trading Limited (Strada Restaurants)
Warrington Borough Council
Halton Borough Council
- Advised BDW Trading Limited on dealing with rights of way in favour of Network Rail affecting a development site and obtaining consent from Network Rail to develop. The matter was important because construction had already started on site and the plots were in the course of being sold.
- Advising Transport for Greater Manchester on obtaining possession of premises from a business tenant, which will enable the redevelopment of both the site in question and also neighbouring land for a large scale residential scheme.
- Acted for NV Buildings who are the residential management company for blocks of apartments in Salford which require replacement of cladding as a result of Grenfell.
DWF hired director Stuart McCann from Pinsent Masons LLP in March 2020 to head up its practice, following the departures of Alan Walker and Jeremy Steele for Knights plc. McCann has expertise in a wide range of sectors, including retail and infrastructure, In addition, he acts for public bodies. Another key member of the team is senior associate Thomas Armstrong, who has expertise in telecoms litigation, and acts for major broadband and mobile network operators.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very experienced in Electronic Communications Code litigation.’
‘I have worked with Stuart McCann on several cases over the last couple of years, and have found him to be very impressive. He always does a great job for his clients, and the quality of his instructions is very high.’
Premier Inn Hotels Limited/Whitbread Plc
Greene King Limited
Severn Trent Water Limited
The Adidas Group
Speedy Hire Plc
Lancashire County Council
HHGL Limited t/a Homebase
Shell UK Limited
Liverpool John Moores University
- Advising EE Limited on a dilapidations claim made against it in respect of its former occupation of office premises in the Bristol area. The claim is for approximately £4 million. It involves complex issues of valuation under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927, supersession, causation and technical engineering issues.
- Advised on the landmark case law decision EE Ltd and Hutchison 3G UK v Meyrick 1968 Combined Trust of Meyrick Estate Management. The first ever case on the new redevelopment ground of opposition available to landlords under the Electronic Communications Code to oppose the grant of a new code agreement to code operators.
- Instructed to act on an exclusive basis for Costa Limited in England, Wales and Scotland in relation to all real estate litigation matters. This involves providing daily advice in relation to over 2,500 stores in the UK with an acquisitions target of over 100 per annum (the client being one of the most acquisitive retailer in the UK).
The team at Forbes Solicitors is ‘very strong in terms of its technical ability and professionalism’. It handles a wide range of contentious property matters, such as land and boundary disputes, commercial lease renewals, breaks and terminations, as well as dilapidations claims. Michael Chambers co-heads the practice with Stephen McArdle, who has an ‘ever-expanding reputation for obtaining results‘, and senior associate Laura Hallett Lea.
Michael Chambers; Stephen McArdle; Laura Hallett Lea
‘Very straightforward, easy to deal with, good advice.’
‘Forbes have a strong property litigation team. The team deals with a wide range of property disputes with an increasing emphasis on commercial property. In an exceptionally competitive market Forbes rival bigger, national firms, for local work and offer a broad experience across the property litigation spectrum.’
‘Stephen McArdle is a leading figure with an ever expanding reputation for obtaining results. Stephen has a friendly style and personality and brings the best out of all professionals within a team (including experts and counsel).’
‘Forbes are a fantastically professional firm who we certainly look up to from a professional point of view. The team is very strong in terms of its technical ability and professionalism. Work is generally turned around quickly and efficiently compared to firms of a similar size.’
‘The team we deal with are extremely proactive and will do anything to help. Advice is always clear and unambiguous. I like the work ethic and professional standards of the team.’
- Represented the owner of a large property in connection with a boundary dispute which held up the sale of the property. Successfully represented the client to trial.
- Representing a fire authority in connection with all property dispute related matters across all sites.
- Representing a local authority in relation to a landslip claim being made by neighbouring property owners.
gunnercooke LLP's client roster includes landlords, developers, investors, occupiers and management companies. Tom Seabrook is dual-qualified to practise as a chartered surveyor and solicitor, giving him a unique vantage point in dilapidations claims and other matters involving construction and building defects. In addition, his other contentious experience includes service charge disputes, rent reviews, and disputes over boundaries and easements. Jen Morris provides strategic advice to help unlock development sites. The team has been strengthened by the arrival of Paul Pinder from Ronald Fletcher Baker LLP in October 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Tom Seabrook; Jen Morris; Paul Pinder
‘Tom Seabrook has a very pragmatic approach, which matches his instinct in property cases borne of his experience as a chartered surveyor. He is robust and direct which makes working with him straightforward, for which I am grateful.’
‘An excellent firm with several offices in the Lancashire area and a very strong offering in property litigation.’
‘Excellent communication and prompt advice and service. Faultless availability even out of normal business hours. Very experienced and extremely knowledgeable. I would highly recommend GunnerCooke to anybody requiring property litigation advice – very impressed!’
‘Tom Seabrook – Simply provides fantastic service and his knowledge is exceptional. Prompt, professional and very responsive – all great qualities that I value very highly in the professionals that I engage. I would, and indeed do, recommend Tom to all of my family, friends and colleagues.’
Work Post Limited
Cheshire Homes Group
Edge Asset Management
RAM Properties Limited
Henry Boot PLC and associated companies
- Acting for Work Post Limited where landlord wished to re-gear lease in exchange for rental increase.
- Acting for tenant Polyseam Limited in defence of landlord’s dilapidations claim.
- Advised offshore property investor on re-gearing a lease with the freeholder, the Wellcome Trust.
Harrison Drury & Co's team is ‘always willing to go the extra mile for clients’. It has experience of a wide variety of matters, including commercial and residential landlord and tenant work, the enforcement of real property rights, and property contract and negligence claims. Practice head Colin Fenny, who specialises in contentious development matters, is praised for his ‘pragmatic approach to managing complex situations’.
Other key lawyers:
Hayley Bamber; Jody Thomasson
‘Harrison Drury were recommended for their expertise in commercial and residential disrepair claims – great advice, experience and value for money.’
‘Hayley Bamber from Harrison Drury is an excellent lawyer. She’s available at all times, responds quickly, explains how it is, gets things done, knows what is important to clients and doesn’t sit on the fence. She is totally in control, calm and collected and completely reliable and trustworthy. I would definitely recommend her to others.’
‘Colin Fenny is experienced and good with clients.’
‘The team are very approachable, professional and efficient. We have dealt with Harrison Drury for over 10 years and have always had a professional and positive experience. All members of the firm are responsive and proactive and always suit our needs.’
‘A very dedicated team with a commercial focus. Always willing to go the extra mile for clients.’
‘Jody Thomasson works tirelessly for her clients . She has a razor-sharp focus and is able to produce detailed analysis at very short notice.’
‘We work with a number of lawyers up and down the country but what we have really valued about working with Colin Fenny is his pragmatic approach to managing complex situations. Colin is accessible and conversations are kept focused. Has good industry knowledge, is mindful of cost v impact/solution.’
Barton Grange Group Limited
Trustees of the Dunkenhalgh Estate
Eric Wright Group Limited and Eric Wright Pension Trustees
Sir Simon Towneley (Worsthorne Estate, Cliviger and Burnley)
MAC Roofing and Contracting Limited
MH Stainton Limited
Trustees of the Legh Estate
Cronin Properties Limited
Robert Silverwood (Lowther Café)
Glendale Managed Services Limited
Parkwood Leisure Limited
Collinson Construction Plc
Person 1st Childcare Limited.
Auk Properties Limited
Tustin Developments Ltd
Northern Trust Limited
Edge Hill University
Pillar Construction Limited
Trustees of the Graythwaite Estate
Glenn Ford and Abid Hussian
Pringle Construction Ltd
Victorian Plumbing Limited
Ashland Nursing Home Ltd
Leigh Welfare Miners Institute
Dee and Patrick Miller
Mullet Conversion Limited
K Pumps Ltd
Almond Gibson Ltd
Damian Lee Buildings Ltd
- Advising on a large lease renewal on behalf of the client, a landlord, in contested unopposed lease renewal proceedings under Part II of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 relating to a commercial quarry. A dispute arose over the terms of the new lease and particularly the rent payable and entitlement to premium and royalties involving complex legal and commercial arguments that requiring expert evidence. Proceedings commenced in High Court with an expert valuer in quarry leases appointed and the parties reached a mutually beneficial settlement shortly after the claim was listed for a five-day High Court trial.
- Barton Grange Limited, who own a large complex in Garstang which includes a garden centre and entertainment complex, informed the team that travellers had taken over large parts of the car park. Swiftly obtained an application from the court to abridge time, getting in front of a judge the next day to obtain an injunction.
- The client entered an agreement to purchase a Lloyds Pharmacy branch, taking on a lease of the property for £500,000 and had paid a non-refundable deposit of £200,000 which Lloyds were claiming the right to retain due to the Client’s failure to complete by the agreed completion date. Robustly defended the client’s interests to get the deal back on the table. Negotiated with Eversheds acting for Lloyds in order to resurrect the deal and ensure that it completed before the NHS contract expired.
Kuit Steinart Levy LLP has a strong track record in matters such as contested lease renewals, possession actions and dilapidations claims. Senior associate Rebecca Jones , who is ‘a leader in her field‘, handles a range of property disputes. She is supported by senior associate Phillip Warburton, who has broad commercial and residential property law expertise. Bruce Jones is the department head. Andrew Weinberg has retired.
Other key lawyers:
Rebecca Jones; Phillip Warburton
‘Kuits have a collaborative team whereby partners, associates and trainees collectively contribute to each specific matter. They are particularly adept at ensuring that any one of the team can pick up and handle any query.’
‘Rebecca Jones is a leader in her field and brings a certain degree of calmness and surety to proceedings. Philip Warburton has provided a swift and sound level of service since joining the team.’
‘We have been very happy with the performance of this team in helping us through some difficult situations. We have had excellent results and would have no hesitation in recommending them.’
‘All my dealings with all members of the team have been very satisfactory.’
‘Strong team with excellent client management.’
‘Rebecca Jones goes the extra mile for her clients. She is on top of the factual and legal details of a case, and is also able to step back and consider the matter practically and commercially.’
Beech Properties Limited
David Samuel Properties
IO Oil and Gas
London & Scottish Property Investments Limited
Persimmon Homes Limited
University of Salford
- Advised IO Oil and Gas UK LLP on a break notice on property at The Shard in London, including issues arising from unlawful assignment by the client’s own sub-tenant.
- Provide day-to-day asset management assistance to London and Scottish Property Investment Management on a variety of matters, relating to assets held by the Real Estate Investment Trust in respect of £750m worth of regional office and light industrial property space.
- Advised University of Salford on securing vacant possession to facilitate a multi-million pound redevelopment to create a world-leading robotics facility, as part of a £2.5bn, 240-acre major regeneration scheme.
The team at Squire Patton Boggs acts for clients from the retail, energy and chemicals sectors. Director Helen Hoath is experienced in an array of contentious real estate matters, including commercial landlord and tenant disputes, easement disputes and restrictive covenants.
Other key lawyers:
Co-op Group of companies
Studio Retail group of companies
Peel Group of companies
Clarity Travel Limited
H B Villages
Kemira Chemicals (UK) Limited
Northern Gas Networks Limited
- Assisted Co-operative Foodstores Limited with obtaining modification of restrictive covenant to permit the sale of alcohol.
- Strategic advice to a client where it had provided multiple Authorised Guarantee Agreements for a travel company which went into liquidation.
- Persuading a landlord that leasehold land should be valued for the purposes of rent review without a gas pipeline.
Trowers & Hamlins LLP's team is adept in both commercial and residential real estate litigation. Led by practice head Lynn James, it acts for clients such as leaseholders, private and public landlords, management companies and financial institutions. Areas of expertise include service charge disputes, leasehold enfranchisement and lease extensions, boundary disputes, dilapidations and rights of way claims. Senior associate Sam Coward is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have a very positive working relationship and find that the staff in this team will go the extra mile. The team are very thorough and you feel confident that the advice they give has been well considered.’
‘We work mainly with Lynn James and Sm Coward as we deal mostly with leaseholders. They are both extremely approachable and know their stuff! We feel confident that they have considered all aspects of any case we bring to them and are also available to give a quick piece of advice.’
Bromford Housing Group
The Guinness Partnership Limited
Accent Housing Limited
One Vision Housing Limited
The Riverside Group Limited
Great Places Housing Group
Moat Homes Limited
Secretary of State for Education
HH No 1 Limited
THT Development Limited
One Manchester Limited
One Housing Group
St Helens Council
- Acting for Mosscare St Vincent’s Housing Group Limited in relation to a claim that has been brought against the client for payments said to be due to the LPA Receiver pursuant to a lease of a property held by the client.
- Act for Onward Homes Limited who was brought into legal proceedings by the Defendant, in respect of a claim being brought to enforce a planning obligation pursuant to section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
Butcher & Barlow LLP's ‘commercially-minded and solutions-driven’ team includes Alex Sandland, whose expertise includes agricultural disputes, as well as contentious land and title matters. Associate James Holton has a focus on contentious landlord and tenant issues, such as lease terminations/renewals, dilapidations, forfeiture and service charges. Another key associate is Catherine Gregson, who acts for landowners, farmers and estates.
Other key lawyers:
James Holton; Catherine Gregson
‘I choose the team at Butcher Barlow LLP due to a very strong referral culture. Their effective and functional teamwork allows them to collaborate and share resources with other colleagues throughout the firm, in order to deliver high quality outcomes in very complex issues that cannot be tackled individually.’
‘Catherine Gregson from Butcher Barlow LLP has a passion for real estate/property litigation and fosters a high level of commitment to her work understanding my objectives and advocates on that basis.’
‘Provides quick and efficient advice on all disputes with considerable knowledge of the relevant case law and process to put them above the rest.’
‘James Holton in particular deserves a special mention. He is knowledgeable and very commercially minded, which enables him to provide clear and concise advice to the client, and this helps put them at ease. He does not get bogged down and provides clear advice to resolve the dispute.’
‘Commercially-minded and solutions-driven.’
The Trustees of the Booth Charities
Joseph Holt Limited
Black & White Developments
Apex Construction and Design
Junction Property Limited
Branley Homes Ltd
- Advised a commercial tenant on a contested multi-lease renewal worth several million pounds against a major institutional landlord.
- Advised an investor landlord on a seven-figure dilapidations claim against a blue-chip tenant following the expiry of multi-lease premises.
- Acting for a management company in a tribunal application in relation to fire safety works at a large leasehold property.
Clarke Willmott LLP's team in the North West is a core part of the firm's national offering. The growing practice covers a variety of contentious matters, including disputes related to the right to light, professional negligence and property portfolio management. Practice head Aaron Macauley, who is ‘very calm and measured’, acts for a number of household-name clients and he has featured in a number of reported cases recently.
‘Aaron gave me very good advice and we had a very satisfactory out of court settlement.’
‘A diverse motivated team that never fails to impress. Particularly strong on development work (particular for Housing Associations), leasehold matters, and 1954 Act work.’
‘The team at Clarke Willmott are very efficient, thorough with their communication and are very approachable.’
‘Aaron Macauley: very calm and measured, and very efficient.’
‘Aaron Macauley – Excellent on residential property matters including complex leasehold issues, leads Manchester team. Very hard working.’
‘Deep experience in the property world, which they bring to bear on the litigation side of things. Adept at reading and understanding plans, maps, developments and the needs of developers.’
BDW Trading Limited/David Wilson Homes
Dr Christopher Chinery
Clarion Housing Association Limited
Florala Properties Limited
Hansteen Holdings PLC
London & Quadrant Housing Trust
The Mapeley Group
- Acted on behalf of BPHA in relation to a high value dilapidations claim relating to a block of 19 residential flats which had been let to BPHA for the past 25 years and were to be returned to the landlord at the end of the lease.
- Act on behalf of Florala Properties Limited in relation to a right to light claim brought by the adjoining owner in relation to an alleged infringement of the adjoining owner’s rights of light by the multi million pound development of what is now the Moorgate, in the City of London.
- Acted on behalf of London & Quadrant Housing Trust in the Telecommunications case of Cornerstone Telecommunications Infrastructure Ltd v London & Quadrant Housing Trust  UKUT 282 (LC) which dealt with the terms of the Telecommunications Code to be imposed on L&Q.
DTM Legal LLP
Anna Duffy leads the team at DTM Legal LLP, with particular expertise in landlord and tenant matters such as break clauses, contentious lease renewals and dilapidations. She has most recently advised property investment clients on Covid19-related issues with tenants. Richard Thomas is also active in property disputes work, which forms a part of his wider litigation practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice partner coordinated very good results for us. Good selection and team performance, including selection of counsel.’
‘We dealt with Anna Duffy who I can highly recommend.’
Atmore Investments Ltd
Oxton Court Limited
Anglesey Country Cottages
The property litigation team at Gorvins Solicitors is prominent in both the commercial and residential property spheres, where it handles disputes arising from disrepair, lease renewals, break clauses, boundary disputes and breaches of restrictive covenants, among other issues. Experienced litigator Guy Lightowler, who heads up the practice, handles matters in the county court, high court and property tribunal. Consultant Jonathan Crook is another notable individual.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gorvins have an excellent reputation in South Manchester and offer a wide range of legal services. This reputation means that, when recommending Gorvins to clients, there will be no need to look elsewhere regardless of how a matter develops.’
‘Guy Lightowler is an excellent litigation solicitor. He has an excellent encyclopaedic knowledge of property law and a clear vision of where he needs to get to in a matter and how long it is likely to take.’
‘Guy Lightowler (Partner) gave the personal touch on some issues and was always at the end of the telephone when needed.’
‘Gorvins were effectively recommended by a practice who had come up against them. We were trying to find a solicitor to handle a tenant/letting issue. Gorvins appear to me to work with real authority, matching what was conveyed by the other practice.’
‘My father and I always felt that Guy Lightowler was in complete control of the situation and his calm, sure-handed manner was vital in bringing the dispute to a conclusion.’
Rowlinson Timber Limited
A & J Property Limited
District Surveyors Association Limited t/a LABC
Ian Edgar (Liverpool) Limited
The Property Alliance Group (PAG) and subsidiaries
KK Thompson Solicitors
The practice at KK Thompson Solicitors is jointly led by sibling team Karl Thompson and Kate Thompson, who provide ‘an excellent standard of service'. They serve a varied client base that includes commercial landlords, offshore pension funds, investment companies and high-net-worth individuals. Karl displays particular strengths in the retail sector, where he has been notably active supporting clients throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. Complementing his litigation experience, he is increasingly sought out to advise on alternative dispute resolution (particularly expert determinations) and litigation avoidance. Kate has expertise in commercial landlord and tenant cases, such as those concerning contested lease renewals, service charge disputes, alienation and dilapidations.
Kate Thompson; Karl Thompson
‘KK Thompson Solicitors are a family-run business. This means that their service is agile but comprehensive. I’ve always been able to reach Karl and Kate quickly and found their knowledge and expertise to be of great assistance in dealing with complex matters.’
‘The key differences are the personal touch and the commercial advice. Such advice is also prompt.’
‘Both Karl and Kate Thompson provide an excellent standard of service.’
‘Kate is extremely professional and exceptionally efficient. She puts other solicitors to shame with her proactive approach. Kate always ensures she has a sound understanding of our needs as her client and does her utmost to protect our interests.’
‘The service has been swift and professional and the fact the team were contactable and helpful made things all very easy.’
‘Personal approach and straight to the point. You always know where you stand and have confidence in the advice that is given.’
‘Karl Thompson provides a bespoke service and is able to cut through the noise to provide meaningful and concise litigation advice. He has a non-adversarial approach and is always looking at all the options without having to ultimately litigate. A very thorough and knowledgeable individual.’
‘Kate is a fantastic property solicitor, her advice and attention to detail is why we use KK Thompson and we will continue to use them for the foreseeable future.’
LiveWire (Warrington) CIC
Taylor Estates (Cheshire) Limited
Roger Hannah and Co
Globe Enterprises Limited
Barnfield Construction Limited
Munroe K Asset Management
Titan Land and Building Ltd
Saturn Land and Building Ltd
Vanguard Land and Building Ltd
Thor Ablestar Land and Building Ltd
Green and Partners
- Ongoing advice to Roubaix group on its retail portfolio in the UK. One particular recent highlight involved succeeding in a contested break notice against a well-known high street retailer worth £600,000 to the client in future rent. Other instructions span all areas of property litigation, including lease renewal proceedings, break option advice, serving of notices, rent and service charge recovery, interpretation of lease terms, tenant insolvency and dilapidations.
- Ongoing advice to Livewire (Warrington) CIC, the largest provider of leisure facilities across the Warrington borough. Advice is continuous and relates to its entire portfolio, which consists of leisure centres, gyms and sports facilities. Many of these facilities are sub-let to food outlets, pharmacies and NHS services.
- Providing property litigation advice to Taylor Estates (Cheshire) Limited across the entire portfolio/SPV’s and being instrumental in assisting this client in building a multimillion pound portfolio across various property sectors. Instructions range from simple rent recovery to multimillion pound disputes. One particular recent highlight related to a complex occupational dispute against a large public body tenant worth £5m to the client.
Kennedys is increasingly gaining recognition for the strength of its team's real estate expertise, as is reflected by its growing client portfolio, which includes property developers, institutional landlords, tenants, local authorities and healthcare bodies. In addition to demonstrating strong capabilities in litigation, the group is increasingly being sought after in an advisory/risk management capacity. Associate Daniel Rainsford, who heads up the practice, undertakes a wide range of work for residential and commercial clients. In addition to being knowledgeable about the entire ambit of landlord and tenant disputes, he also handles property disputes that involve estates, as well as property damage claims. Senior associate Andrew Davidson has particular experience of acting for developers in complex disputes with landowners.
Other key lawyers:
‘The property team draws on its obvious strengths in other sectors and deploys a collaborative approach to instructions ensuring that clients get the most comprehensive advice.’
‘Daniel Rainsford has a firm attention to detail and attends to matters in a meticulous manner. He is pleasant and courteous to deal with.’
‘Very commercial and pragmatic. Good at keeping counsel abreast of developments in longrunning cases, which is critical where there is satellite litigation.’
Slater Heelis' practice, which is led by Daniel Stern, is active in cases arising from high-value dilapidations, enfranchisements, boundary and easement issues, and party wall act disputes, among other matters. The firm's client base includes management and residential management companies, owner-managed businesses, and family-owned property investment and development companies. Alongside Stern is experienced associate Daniel Wise, who has particular expertise in handling claims on behalf of and against developers, as well as landlord and tenant disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Prompt response to emails, lateral thinking when dealing with problems and terrier-like qualities.’
De Trafford Estates Group
- Acted for Ricoman Limited in a tri-party dilapidations dispute where the client was caught between its sub tenant and the landlord.
- Represent developer De Trafford Estates Group and its various group companies in all contentious matters regarding any disputes on any of its developments.