Commercial property: elsewhere in the North West in North West
Brabners LLP's Preston-based team is noted for its experience across the retail and leisure sectors and it is regularly instructed by well-known companies, as well as high-net-worth individuals. The agricultural sector is also a key area of focus. Department head Ross Shine is engaged on a range matters including complex developments, overage agreements, portfolio disposals and corporate support. Associate Helen Ryan is experienced in advising landowners on residential developments.
Other key lawyers:
The Swinton Group
The T Brady Group
National Football Museum
- Advised The Swinton Group on more than 100 individual property transactions.
- Provided HCP and Countyroute on CPO advice relating to a road scheme in Essex.
- Advised Sajed Investments on the acquisition of a near freehold investment of a property occupied by the Co-Op.
- Advised Leonard Curtis on the disposal of a property owned by a club where the members had limited knowledge and evidence of title.
- Advised T B Group Pension Scheme on the disposal of a site which is conditional on planning with phased payments, environmental complexities and strict compliance with the client’s pension fund requirements.
Gorvins Solicitors' expertise includes landlord, tenant and estate management work, property acquisitions and disposals, and funding and development agreements for commercial, residential and mixed-use developments. The property team also provides support to business asset and corporate acquisitions and disposals, handles secure lending work, and is engaged on real estate restructuring work in addition to distressed property disposals. It is instructed by a range of clients including local authorities, property developers, investors, banks and corporate funders, and it also acts for corporate and individual landlords and tenants. Managing partner Martin Hoare leads the team and Claire Beaumont acts for lender clients.
Other key lawyers:
Claire Beaumont; Colin Mellor
Urban Splash Group
Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce
Marcus Worthington Properties
Peel Media Limited
European Metal Recycling
New City Vision
Inner City Music Limited T/A Band on the Wall
Oldham Borough Council
- Advised Wood Restaurants Chester on an operating agreement and brand licence for new hotel, which is under construction, relating to restaurant food and drink services.
- Advised Redsun Projects on the acquisition of a complex site from Wirral BC, together with associated development agreements for development and disposal.
- Advised Urban Splash UK Residential on the purchase of 40 apartments at Velvet Mill, Lister Mills, Bradford.
- Advised Urban Splash UK Residential on the purchase of 10 new build properties at Irwell, Riverside, Salford
- GM Chamber of Commerce on the re-gear of multi floor leases, together with associated Deed of Variations.
Commercial property boutique Land Law LLP handles a full range of property-related mandates with 'deep expertise' across development work, investment transactions, property finance and property management work. Managing partner Angus Whyte is 'exceptional' ; Helen Davidson has a 'wealth of experience'; Paul Grundy acts for developers, investors and landlords; and recently promoted partner Nicola Jackson is regularly engaged by investment clients. Associate partner Tim Richards recently joined from Addleshaw Goddard and Sarah Bonwick is also a key figure.
‘The team shows great responsiveness and dedication to each project.’
‘It has a collaborative approach to transactions and the team has a good understanding of client objectives.’
‘Sarah Bonwick is always responsive and is pro-active.’
Manchester Unity Friendly Society
De Trafford Estates
Styles and Wood
The Peel Group
Eric Wright Group
Thermo Fisher Scientific
- The team advised landowner, the Alice Jackson Trust, in relation to the promotion of its site at Willaston, Cheshire through the planning process and its onward disposal for development.
- Advised Manchester Unity Friendly Society on the £5.25m acquisition of an airport car park.
- Advised developer De Trafford Estates on the purchase of the site for its No1 Castlefield development in Manchester City Centre.
- Acted for Quorum Estates in relation to the sale of a portfolio of seven industrial investment properties.
- Advised GE Aviation Systems on a conditional agreement for lease securing new warehouse and office premises for the aviation company client.
The 'growing' team at Myerson Solicitors LLP handles the full range of property work; the team is regularly instructed by developer and investor clients, and it also acts for a range of business clients throughout the region and beyond. It advises on residential and commercial property developments, and also houses portfolio management expertise, where it is often instructed by high-net-worth clients. Joanne Perritt heads the core commercial property team and the 'brilliant' Richard Lloyd leads the department.
Other key lawyers:
‘The partners are easy to get in touch with and the other members of the legal team are quick to respond.’
Philip J Davies
ICI Dulux/Akzo Nobel
Peninsula Business Services
Dean Property Group
- The team has represented Fairhome on dozens of separate development projects, each involving the purchase and development of a property or properties, the leasing of the property to a registered care provider and the disposal of the completed investment to a pension fund.
- The team advises Fortis Developments on a range of matters; it advised on the acquisition, forward funding and development of the Green Quarter 7 development in Manchester; the acquisition of Bridgewater Wharf in Salford; the development of phases 1, 2 and 3 of Adelphi Wharf, Salford; and the acquisition of a development site at Salford Quays.
- Advised LADBible Group on the relocation of its London offices.
- The team advises ICI Dulux Decorator Centres on the management of the leases of its 200 stores in England and Wales.
- Advises Philip J Davies in connection with various property management issues relating to its substantial portfolio of properties.
Napthens LLP is instructed by quoted companies, national organisations, large scale regional developers and builders, as well as owner-managed businesses and individual property investors across Lancashire, Merseyside and Cumbria, on all real estate mandates. Jamie Allinson, who is based across the firm's Kendal and Preston offices, heads the overall team which includes: Preston team head Martin Beardsworth, who is regularly instructed by owner-managed businesses and SMEs; David Hill, who heads the Blackburn-based team, handles landlord and tenant issues; Kate Mallaband who heads the team in Cumbria and specialises in secured lending and refinancing matters; and Paul Hardy who leads the Blackpool-based team and acts for a number of GP partnerships and NHS Trusts.
‘The firm has a very positive and pragmatic ‘can-do’ culture which brings confidence in its professional ability and quality of service.’
‘The team is very responsive in its communication.’
‘David Hill is pro-active in negotiations and he is always prepared to go the extra mile to get deals concluded.’
Blackburn Diocese Board of Education
Mason Owen Financial Services
GT UK Holdings
The James Mercer Group
Royal Bank of Scotland Group
Halo Business Solutions
Taylor Patterson Trustees
Poppy & Jacks Nurseries
Graham & Brown
Prolight Concepts Group
NRG Fleet Services
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
E H Booth & Co
W H Bowker
The Halal Cosmetics Company
D J Cox
Barnfield Construction Group
Phil McIntyre Entertainments
Praetura Asset Finance
Reward Finance Group
Kingswood Homes UK
Rimington Leisure Park
South Lakeland District Council
Lake District Estates Company
Tom Barron Estates
Ulverston Meat Company
Dove Commercial Properties
- Advised Thornton Sports and Football Club on an agreement with NPL Estates, the owners and developers of the Hillhouse Enterprise Zone in Thornton Cleveleys.
- Advised Blackpool Grand Theatre Trust Co Ltd on a complex lease matter.
- Advised Castle Green Hotel on the sale of a Cumbria hotel to global investors.
- Advised Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust on the sale of the former Fleetwood Hospital.
- Advised Kensington Development on infrastructure requirements for a major housing development.
Aaron & Partners LLP stands out for its expertise across ecclesiastical property and charity land work. The education, utilities, food and retail sectors are also key areas of focus, and it is also instructed on renewable energy and waste management mandates. The team is active on commercial and residential development matters and is experienced in agricultural land and estates work. Team head Simon Ellis frequently handles commercial property instructions and is experienced in the utilities and charities sectors. Emma McGlinchey, who joined in 2018 from Knights plc, acts for retail and food sector clients. Senior associate Lisa Moncur is 'first-rate' and is experienced in diocesan work.
Dŵr Cymru Cyfyngedig (Welsh Water)
John Holford Charity
Chester Diocesan Board of Finance
Knights of Old
University of Chester
- Advised Dŵr Cymru Cyfyngedig (Welsh Water) on the proposed extension of Waste Water Treatment Works, involving development over agricultural land subject to AHA tenancy, just outside the Snowdonia National Park.
- Advised Edenstone Homes on a series of developments focused on the South Wales area.
- Advised Knights of Old Ltd on the sale of a distribution warehouse in Northampton.
- The team advises Galliers Properties on on-going investment property work.
- The team advises the University of Chester Matter on a range of property matters.
Butcher & Barlow LLP handles land acquisitions and is experienced in commercial and residential development. Jonathan Aldersley is experienced in the sale and purchase of public houses and also handles commercial refinancing. John Hyatt and Rebecca Jepson handle transactions in the agricultural sector, and James Hodgson advises on commercial leases and investment property work. The team welcomed the 'experienced' Daniel Woodcock from Chafes Hague Lambert LLP in 2019. Recently promoted partner Zoë Paton-Crockett, who is experienced in land promotion and advises on the acquisition and sale of land for commercial and residential development, heads the team.
John Hyatt is able to efficiently complete deals without it seeming like a long winded process.
James Hodgson is meticulous in his work and is commercially aware to ensure that a deal can be done.
Jonathan Aldersley is very efficient, knowledgeable and responds quickly.
The team has a wealth of knowledge and experience and is able to effectively and efficiently handle complex property negotiations.
The team is very knowledgeable, capable and pragmatic.
Trustees of the Booth Charities
Renew Land Developments
Muller Property Group
Fords of Winsford
Pioneer Design and Build
Black & White Developments
Stretton Property Group
Orchard Green Developments
- Represented a property investor on the sale of a multi-let industrial estate to an institutional investor.
- Represented a valuable family trust fund in the promotion of green belt land which involved collaboration with an adjoining landowner.
- Advised Renew Land Developments on the conditional acquisition and simultaneous sale of a public house and adjoining land to a housing association for residential development.
- Advised Black & White Developments on the sale of a multi-let industrial site with construction elements
- Advised Muller Property Group on the acquisition of a site intended for residential redevelopment by a housing association, which was simultaneously sub-sold together with another site already owned by the client.
DTM Legal LLP specialises in commercial and residential real estate work. The team is experienced in agricultural law and acts for farming, rural and landed estate clients. The team is engaged on development mandates for landowners, house builders, wind farm, gas storage and other infrastructure developer clients. Sally Pilott specialises in development work; Stephen Lunt is 'very experienced'; and Paul Makinson is also a key partner. The team was recently bolstered by the arrival of senior associate Robin Sharp from DWF. Sue Elias leads the residential department, and commercial property head Anna Duffy operates across the firm's Chester and Liverpool offices.
Sue Elias; Anna Duffy
The team provides a personal, prompt and professional service.
Sally Pilott is extremely approachable and knowledgeable.
The practice is extremely efficient and gives fast turn around times on complex legal issues, with plenty of detail.
Stephen Lunt is an exceptional commercial property lawyer; he is insightful, very quick and to the point, and is able to add commercial value.
Pro Investments Limited/FI Real Estate
The Anwyl Group
Delamere Homes Pulford
Chester Rugby Union Football Club
Urban Space Property Holdings
Clogau Gold of Wales
Tattenhall Dairy Products
Helsby Parish Council
The Majory Body Tees
F & O Homes
A Bernie Queensferry Auction
FG Whitley & Sons
Ursula Keyes Trust
- Acted for The Anwyl Pension Trustees on the surrender of an existing lease to an NHS body, the grant of an Agreement for Lease with landlord’s works, and advised on the simultaneous completion of the lease and onward sale of the property as an investment property to the government body.
- Advised the client on the purchase a property for the development of seven houses and refurbishment with subsequent plot sales.
- Instructed by a client on the letting of a hotel to a large national chain.
- Instructed by a client on a refinance deal of a newly converted residential developer.
- Advised a national house builder on the purchase of land for the development of 82 dwellings.
Forbes Solicitors is experienced in property matters across the construction, retail, manufacturing, healthcare and sports sectors. Pension fund property transactions are also a key area of expertise. The team is increasingly active on development work and has been instructed by builder, landowner and large developer clients on residential and commercial projects. In addition, the team is increasingly active in the agricultural sector. Department head Adam Bromley also heads the firm’s SIPP & SSAS pension sector group; Tim Hollingsworth handles the sale and purchase of development sites; and Richard Clithero handles commercial property transactions and secured lending work.
The team is quietly very efficient.
The firm provides the personal touch.
Adam Bromley and John Pickervance ensure that deals work smoothly and will be accepted by all parties, rather than just stating what the problems or possible issues are.
Mattioli Woods (previously Taylor Patterson)
Lawrence Hunt & Co
GPC SIPP (formerly Guardian Pension Consultants Ltd)
Burnley Football Club
- Advised a food manufacturing client on its acquisition of the property portfolio of 2 Sisters Red Meat.
- Acting for a manufacturing client in a de-merger involving the transfer of 12 industrial properties.
- Advised a higher education establishment on a refinance with multiple lenders over different parts of the campus.
- Advised a private individual on a very high-value land sale.
- Acted for an agricultural farming client on the acquisition of land and a property portfolio refinance.
Hillyer McKeown LLP
Hillyer McKeown LLP's Chester office works closely with colleagues in Liverpool to handle real estate finance work, and acts for a number of lender clients. The team is also active on acquisitions for investment and trading purposes, as well as landlord and tenant and development work. Ian Millington acts for owner-managed businesses, SMEs, charities and pension trustees. John Morshead handles non-contentious landlord and tenant matters, acquisitions, disposals and secured finance. Caroline Jones leads the residential and commercial property departments.
John Morshead handles transactions with professionalism and attention-to-detail, but also with a pragmatism borne of many years experience in the property sector.
One Planet Adventure
Progress to Excellence
Anselmians Rugby Football Club
- Advised Protec International in its £4m acquisition of a plot of land at the new Markham Vale development.
- Advised One Planet Adventure on the acquisition of an outdoor pursuits centre and associated use of the adjacent Llangollen forest with funding from HSBC and the Development Bank of Wales.
- Represented Progress to Excellence and Progress Schools on a number of lease transactions.
- Advised Leaswood Properties on the £1.35m acquisition of Burton Manor House.
- Advised Anselmians Rugby Football Club on the £1.1m redevelopment scheme for its clubhouse.
SAS Daniels LLP has particular expertise in residential work; the team stands out for its experience in the land promotion sector and has advised on a number of land disposals for residential development. It is also instructed by owner-managed businesses on their property needs and handles development work. The estates and agricultural sector is also a key driver of the practice where James Goddard, who was recently promoted to partner, is noted. Elsewhere, James Clarke handles development work and promotion agreements; Nigel Read leads the residential property team; Neil Powell is active on education sector work; and Andrew Clark handles development work. Recently promoted partner Scott Tams is instructed by social housing providers.
Scott Tams consistently provides solid and prompt advice on a diverse range of matters.
Nat West Bank
Clive Sall Architects
Beech Developments (NW)
- Advised Wren Properties on its £2.9m acquisition of a prime high-street retail investment property.
- Advised Henderson Homes (UK) as the purchaser of land for residential or commercial development from the Crown Estate.
- Represented Enabling Homes on its acquisition and sale of a £9m portfolio of properties to a Real Estate Investment Trust.
- Represented a developer client on the conversion of business premises to 34 residential units.
- Represented client on the disposal of a residential development site with outline planning permission.
Slater Heelis LLP handles landlord and tenant matters for high-profile clients and is instructed on property transactions by investors. Residential development work is also a key area of focus for the department. Mike Fox handles complex landlord and tenant matters as well as site acquisitions and disposals; Zara Banday and Stephen Locke stand out for their experience in residential property transactions; Olajide Jay Lafinhan handles commercial and residential work; and Hannah Al-Shaghana is instructed by leisure and education sector clients. Will Henson in Manchester heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
The team is flexible, helpful and diligent.
Mike Fox is superb, helpful, thoughtful and genuinely looks after the client’s long term interests.
The team is extremely efficient, diligent and quick to respond.
Lucy Porter is extremely diligent and quick.
Gino D’Acampo Worldwide Restaurants
Tre Ciccio Altrincham
Tre Ciccio Holdings
Tre Ciccio (Bramhall)
Upper Brook Investments
- Advised Gino D`Acampo Worldwide Restaurants on the lease for new restaurant premises on Temple Row Birmingham.
- Advised Tre Ciccio Altrincham on lease matters relating to the purchase of an existing restaurant business.
- Advised Tre Ciccio Ramsbottom as a tenant taking a new lease of a new site, to open a second Tre Ciccio restaurant.
- Advised Upper Brook Investments on its re-finance of 23 apartments at Q3 Development, Hyde Grove, Manchester to Lloyds Bank.
- Advised Esprit Warehousing on a strategically important 10 year lease.
Baines Wilson LLP
Baines Wilson LLP is active on a number of commercial and residential development projects, commercial property acquisitions and secured lending transactions. The team also handles landlord and tenant work across the region and beyond. The hotel, leisure and education sectors are key areas. Sean Logue heads the team where Duncan Harty and Laura Barnfield are also key figures.
The team stands out for its overall competence and availability.
It has a high level of communication and has the willingness to go the extra mile.
It provides quality advice.
- Represented Genesis Homes (North) on the acquisition and financing of a residential development site.
- Represented Party A on its acquisition of a residential development site from Party B.
Blackstone Solicitors Limited
Blackstone Solicitors Limited is engaged by a range of clients including pension funds, investors, SMEs, private individuals, charities, retail and leisure sector clients, as well as banks and funders, on commercial property mandates. Nick Jackson, who is instructed by occupier, investor and developer clients, Michelle Rothburn and Jo Raby, who is head of residential conveyancing, are the key contacts.
Farleys Solicitors LLP handles a range of commercial property work including commercial leases, property finance, acquisition and disposals, estate management and mortgage advice, and the team also advises on residential and commercial developments. Stephen Greenwood in Preston, Blackburn-based Tom O’Neill and Ian Liddle, who is based in the Manchester office, head the team.
Ian Liddle; Tom O’Neill; Stephen Greenwood
FDR Law is regularly engaged by commercial and residential developers, retail and leisure operators, corporate occupiers, and investors. It also acts for public sector clients and is experienced in education sector property mandates. Its experience includes strategic partnering and site assembly work, acquisitions and disposals, asset management, development and forward funding work. Team head Stephen Woodall acts for public and private sector clients; Charles Agar is experienced in private sector property development instructions; and John King handles contentious matters.
The the team provides advice in a down to earth and succinct way that assists clients to get to the heart of the matter quickly.
The team is very responsive and are very good communicators.
Stephen Woodall is a very good communicator and delivers an exceptional level of service; he has a great understanding of the commercial realities of the deals he transacts and he consistently adds value.
Network Space Developments
Network Space Management
Beck Homes (NW)
United Utilities Property Services
Warrington & Vale Royal College
Cheadle & Marple Sixth Form College
Halton Borough Council
Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council
Sefton Metropolitan Borough Council
West Lancashire Borough Council
Warrington Borough Council
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Represented Network Space on the sale of 25 separate commercial and industrial sites across the North West in a deal worth £93m.
- Advised United Utilities Property Services on the disposal of a substantial area of land at Thorn Road, Swinton for residential development and the construction of a community park.
- Acted on behalf of a client on the negotiation and completion of a property and asset management agreement in respect of a national portfolio of industrial and commercial sites.
- Advised the client on the disposal of a substantial landholding at Appleton Thorn in Warrington for residential development.
- Advised a retail management company on the negotiation and completion of a property and asset management agreement in respect of a mixed portfolio of 25 separate commercial and industrial sites across the North.
Harrison Drury & Co stands out for its experience in agricultural and landed estates management. The team also handles residential and commercial development, leases, landlord and tenant work, and is instructed by investors on property acquisitions. The firm offers experience across the charity and not-for-profit, industrial, manufacturing, leisure, hospitality, retail, transport and utilities sectors. Naomi Fell in Kendal is 'very approachable and hardworking', Owen McKenna in Preston is 'highly professional, efficient and extremely knowledgeable,' and team head Simon England in Clitheroe is noted for landlord and tenant work.
The team is highly professional, competent and efficient.
The team communicates well with clients and is personable and comprehensive in its work.
The team has excellent technical understanding and has the ability to advise on a wide range of property law issues.
Naomi Fell is excellent and advises well in all circumstances; her frankness and go-getting attitude enables a smooth process.
The team is efficient in its delivery of service; the team often works to tight deadlines yet are thorough in their approach with a meticulous eye for detail.
Simon England has a broad knowledge base; he is shrewd and diligent in his approach and very thorough in the work he produces.
Eric Wright Group
James Alpe Developments
PJM Property Investment
Sir Simon Towneley (Worsthorne Estate, Cliviger and Burnley)
Flavour Warehouse Holdings
Astra Business Centre
Oakfield Park, Kirkby Lonsdale
Peter Jackson, the Jeweller
- The team acts for long-standing client Eric Dunmore, a prominent local businessman, on his varied property investment portfolio.
- The team advises Applethwaite, part of the Eric Wright Group, on the provision of quality new build homes in the North West.
- Acted for a long-standing client on the sale of its interest in Astra Business Park for £4.7m.
- Advised the developer of an exclusive collection of new houses.
- The team advises Eric Wright Group on a range of property portfolio management matters.
Jolliffe & Co LLP
Jolliffe & Co LLP is active on commercial and residential real estate work and is instructed by PLC clients and medium-sized private companies. Department head James Harris handles high-value freehold and leasehold commercial real estate acquisitions and is experienced in leisure sector work.
Aviation Park (including CCB Property Partnership LLP & CCB Trading )
Brunning & Price
Challenger Mobile Communications
Chester Zoo (the North of England Zoological Society)
Joseph Benjamin (also trading as Porta)
Just Go Travel (T/A Hays Travel)
Rooms & Views Manufacturing
SRK Shops (retailers of Yankee Candle and Swarovski for the North and Wales)
The Corbett Group
The shareholders of Pro-Vision Distribution
Wok & Go UK
Wok & Go Franchise UK
- Advised Rhino Products on its acquisition a new factory near Ellesmere Port, Cheshire.
- Acted for the outgoing shareholders on the sale of the entire issued share capital of Pro-Vision Distribution for £3m.
- Advised Bowsall on an option agreement for the development of land, subject to planning permission involving a section 106 planning obligation agreement with sub-sale to registered housing association.
- Advised HIAB on the acquisition of the business and assets of Londonderry Garage (S.E.) , which included a new lease of the existing premises of the target company as part of the acquisition of the business and assets.