Under the leadership of Nick Harvey, Bermans handles recoveries on behalf of individuals, professionals, SMEs, family businesses, management teams and entrepreneurs. Though active across a range of industries, the group most actively represents clients from the publishing, finance, construction, licensed leisure, retail and professional services sectors. A further distinguishing feature of the team is the large amount of work it undertakes for asset-based lenders.
Debt recovery in North West
- Acting on behalf of 200+ high-net-worth claimant investors in a claim for breach of contract and duty against HSBC Bank for compensation of circa £55m.
- Acting on behalf of a liquidator in a claim for misfeasance against a former director for the sale of one of its principal assets [a company based in the USA] at an undervalue. A claim valued at circa £1.5m involving restraint of assets in the USA.
- Acting on behalf of four high-net-worth individuals in claims for damages for malicious prosecution and / or misfeasance in a public office each claim worth between £3m and £12m in value.
Hill Dickinson LLP provides a notably broad range of debt recovery services; examples include recoveries for commercial clients, restitution claims for public sector clients, the enforcement of judgments and costs orders in addition to acting on charging orders and orders for sales. Sharon Williamson leads the department, which is also well-versed in pursuing debtors based outside of England and Wales.
Other key lawyers:
‘An excellent collaborative team.‘
‘Communication is excellent as is time management and prioritisation.’
Thomas Hardie Commercials Limited
Agilent Technologies LDA UK Limited
NHS Business Services Authority
Wirral UK Teaching Hospital
Irwell Street Metal Company Limited
Christian Schools Limited
Bibby Factors Manchester Limited
Bibby Financial Services UK Limited
Lloyds Bank Commercial Finance Limited
Soda Softwear Labs Limited
MR Negotiators Limited
Piccadilly Village Management Limited
Halewood International Limited
- Handling regular instructions for recovery of unpaid invoices assigned to Bibby Factors Manchester Limited, including acting for the client in a claim for payment of unpaid invoices for the supply of windows, which customers were refusing to pay as the 10 warranty provided no longer valid.
- Handling regular instructions from Soda Softwear Labs Limited for the recovery of licence fees from their clients, which has included proceedings in other jurisdictions including the US and Mexico.
- Enforcement of a judgment obtained in the Paris Commercial Courts against a UK based debtor company. The judgment ordered that the debtor company was to remit payment of the judgment debt, accruing interest and return 97 of our client’s containers back to France at their own expense.
Pannone Corporate LLP is praised for offering 'the knowledge and ability that debt recovery agencies are lacking’. Led by Karl Williams, the team is primarily focused on business-to-business debt issues, but is engaged for all types of debt recovery processes. Associate Denise Lamb is an integral member of the team; her and Williams are noted as ‘extremely knowledgeable and always willing to go the extra mile’.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have worked with this team from couple of years and their responsibility and commitment to work is extraordinary.’
‘The firm and its members gives you wise decisions. They are not one who are just charging enormous amount of money and do not deliver.’
‘Pannone’s debt recovery team provide a unique model within what has become a market saturated with companies offering expensive and / or inefficient alternatives. They offer the knowledge and ability of a solicitors firm that debt recovery agencies are lacking, without the associated expense of a per minute cost or indeed a percentile based fee. No where else can you get decades of experience within the debt recovery sector for nothing more than fixed recoverable costs.’
‘Denise Lamb and Karl Williams are extremely personable and always willing to go the extra mile. They are highly knowledgeable and experienced in the debt recovery sector, providing invaluable support to the credit team once debts reach litigation stage. A pleasure to work with and you couldn’t ask for a better debt recovery team to partner your business with.’
Exertis (UK) Limited
Hilti (GB) Limited
L’Oreal (UK) Limited
Kellan Group Limited
PPL PRS Limited
DHL International (UK) Limited
The Keith Jones Partnership
The 'transparent and impartial' team at The Keith Jones Partnership is led by ‘very trustworthy and reliable’ name partner Keith Jones, who jointly heads the practice alongside Nicholas Brown and Brenda Li. The firm's caseload includes business-to-business debt recoveries, enforcement, insolvency proceedings, rent recoveries and tenancy evictions and service charge and ground rent recovery. Debts against parties outside of England and Wales are a front on which the team is well-equipped.
‘The team takes an honest approach – in certain cases, if there are no positive results, then we are offered a discount. They are very transparent, and we get frequent updates on our cases. ‘
‘We have worked with Keith Jones on and off for over 10 years now. Keith has a great understanding of our working practices and ethics and has proven very trustworthy and reliable when we need any legal advice. Keith has personally came in to our office in London (out of his own personal time) and given a talk on contract liability and the pitfalls in not paying attention to the smallest of detail.’
‘The practice offers transparent and impartial advice to the highest degree. The knowledge they share is more than informative and very detailed, so for those working with the team, it’s made clear from the start that they are the safest hands. Without a doubt, the industry knowledge they hold and share with clients has been miles ahead of others.’
- Advised Votrary Limited with regard to pursuing a debtor in France.
Andrew Cox and Mark Burch, both of who are based in Liverpool, are the key names to note at Weightmans LLP. Cox is particularly knowledgeable of recoveries in the banking, utilities and transport sectors while Burch is a specialist in secured and unsecured public and private sector debt recovery; he is also experienced in complex defended actions and the use of insolvency procedures to aid with debt collection.
‘The Team is very efficient and very professional in all their dealings.’
‘Mark Burch is very professional and experienced.’
Cabot Financial (UK) Limited
Motor Insurers’ Bureau
The Cabinet Office
Quadient Group (including Neopost Limited)
Radius Group (including UK Fuels Limited)
Murray Metals Group
Maersk Line A/S
NWF Fuels Limited
The King’s School
Davis Coffer Lyons
Johnsons Textile Services Limited
Specific & General Services Limited
- One of only two firms acting for The Motor Insurers’ Bureau in recovering monies (paid out under the Uninsured Drivers Agreement) from uninsured motorists.
- Providing Quadient Group with all of its debt recovery requirements.
- Providing Murray Metals with all of its debt recovery requirements.
At Brabners LLP, litigator Phil Sheard is the key name for debt recovery work, handling matters across a range of sectors, with a particular focus on the representation of finance companies. The team's workload includes the recovery of loans and other forms of lending, as well as restitution claims for the recovery of payments made in error.
Clients praise the debt recovery team at Fieldfisher as ‘excellent at what they do, with an enviable depth of experience and expertise’. Of particular note is Barry Sharples who ‘fights hard for his clients’, heading the practice alongside Ian Austin. Their team handles end-to-end debt recovery, including everything from pre-action letters through to enforcement, insolvency and acting on defended claims. Clients include insurers and pension providers, electronics and digital equipment suppliers, landowners and major lenders, among others.
‘A very strong team with a clear understanding of the business needs in relation to ensuring timely collection of business debts and speedy cost effective resolution of disputes.’
‘Very business friendly and alive the needs of their clients.’
‘The debt recovery team at Fieldfisher are excellent at what they do, and have an enviable depth of experience and expertise in this practice area.’
‘Barry Sharples fights hard for his clients, and is not afraid to do so in even the most challenging cases. He is a lawyer you would prefer to have on your side.’
‘Easy to approach, great communication skill and understanding of customer needs and finally great results.’
‘Easy to approach, great communication skill and understanding of customer needs and finally great results.’
‘Good team, robust litigation style.’
Estates & Management Limited
- Managed to set aside a Company Voluntary Arrangement (“CVA”) where insolvency Practitioners approved an arrangement where creditors contrived to vote through a proposal. The CVA was set aside and costs ordered against the company and the insolvency practitioners.
- Recovered monieson behalf of Olympus Keymed from a commercial partner whom had failed to account properly for a number of years. Disclosure of documents was imperative to the successful claim.
- Successful in obtaining an Order for Sale for General Medical Council in circumstances where the defendant was deemed a vexatious litigant prompting payment.
Gorvins Solicitors fields a ‘debt recovery team which has fast established itself as a leading provider’. Practice head Mark Deverell provides ‘sound commercial advice’; he regularly acts for insolvency practitioners in the collection of debt on behalf of liquidators and administrators. He also acts on the recovery of monies owed under guarantees.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gorvins has a long established reputation in the region. It has clearly defined departments with the CDR team at the forefront. The quality of work produced by the team is at a level expected of a large regional firm which is largely down to Mark Deverell and Guy Lightowler who have increased the firm’s profile for providing a quality, city centre service but at lower cost. The debt recovery team has fast established itself as a leading provider.
‘The team led by Mark Deverell offers efficient and effective solutions.’
‘Mark Deverell is an astute lawyer who offers sound commercial advice. Mark’s considerable experience is confirmed by his calm approach to cases and pragmatic approach.’
‘When I retired I found that I had several bad debts from solicitors who had failed to pay for work done and had not responded to several requests from me for outstanding payments. Gorvins Solicitors did an outstanding job in recovering these monies.’
Distinguished by its ‘cost and time-effective advice and action on debt recovery’, Greenhalgh Kerr’s team handles security enforcement, moving asset tracking, enforcement and the recovery of unsecured debt, among a range of other matters. The ‘extremely capable’ Richard Kerr jointly heads the practice alongside the ‘first-class’ Daniel Tate and the ‘excellent’ Steven Owens. Their client roster encompasses asset financiers, lenders, business owners and insolvency practitioners.
‘This practice are experts in their field. Great communication; they always have a direction to resolve a dispute. You are guided with clarity and excellent professionalism, and they keep you fully in control, with excellent outcomes.’
‘Richard Kerr is extremely capable and is thoroughly professional in his approach. His knowledge about our business is strong which allows him to navigate his way to an effective solution. I rate him very highly.’
‘Cost and time-effective advice and action on debt recovery. A slippage in time can lose a debt. The team are well aware of how quickly monies can disappear, for instance on an insolvency, if action is not taken speedily.’
‘Practical as well as legal advice to recover debts.’
‘Personal service with regular contact from partners; practical advice given rather than listing our options and then advising us to choose; always prepared to lead the client.’
‘We have direct access to the partners in the business and their hands-on approach to cases and their availability makes them stand-out against their peer group. This personalised service, together with their many years of experience and expertise makes Greenhalgh Kerr a great external partner. We have recommended them to other companies.’
‘Daniel Tate is always happy to discuss a particular case, and we find that this approach, rather than email discussion, leads us to selecting the best way forward from this personal advice We have also had great service from managing partner Richard Kerr as well as Steven Owens.’
Renaissance Asset Finance
Preston City Council
Bradford City Council
Durham County Council
Zuto Car Finance
- Assisting local authorities to enforce existing secured debt through Order for Sale proceedings, avoiding the delay and cost of securing additional liability orders during the Proceedings.
- Settled a matter using the principle of Estoppel by Convention in the Skeleton Argument, where the Debtor claimed that hire agreements were unenforceable.
- Secured a liability order by obtaining a charge against shares in a business, the team then made an Application under Part 71 of the CPR for the Debtor (a Solicitor) to attend Court for questioning. To then this, the Debtor paid the debt in full.
Shoosmiths LLP's ‘very knowledgeable' debt recovery offering is led by Sean Adams and Jenny Ogden; the team is particularly well-regarded for consumer mortgage recoveries such as pre-issue rehabilitation, standard repossession litigation, defended claims and post possession sales. Another key pillar of the practice is consumer unsecured recoveries, including personal loans, credit cards and overdrafts.
‘A very knowledgeable debt recovery offering with a focus on undertaking regulated activities for us as debt purchases and asset managers.’
‘The firm covers all secured and unsecured collections and litigation. We always receive straightforward technical advice with commerciality applied.’
- Working with Arrow Global, the team designed appropriate strategies to enhance engagement with customers on identified debts (with final charging orders in place), taking into account all regulatory and reputational requirements to ensure customers were treated fairly throughout the process.
- Working closely with Azzurro on a portfolio of purchased judgments to effectively obtain a global substitution order and allow Azzurro to then engage with the customers and, where necessary, take effective enforcement action.