Bermans handles debt recovery and collection cases for high-net-worth individuals, liquidators and businesses. Nick Harvey heads the team, recognised for his work on cross-border debt recovery and complex multi-party claims. Jonathan Berkson bolsters the practice with experience in commercial recovery work for asset-based lenders.
Debt recovery in North West
Other key lawyers:
- Acted on behalf of 200+ HNW claimant investors in a claim for breach of contract and duty against HSBC Bank for compensation of circa £55m.
- Acted on behalf of 4 HNW Individuals in claims for damages for malicious prosecution and/or misfeasance in a public office each claim worth between £3m and £12m in value.
- Acted on behalf of a liquidator in a claim for misfeasance against a former director for the sale of one of its principal assets [a company based in the USA] at an undervalue. A claim valued at circa £1.5m involving restraint of assets in the USA.
Hill Dickinson LLP handles routine debt recovery as well as higher value, more complex and contested recoveries for banks, financial institutions and commercial clients. The practice work closely with the finance and commercial litigation departments and is recognised for pursuing debtors based outside the jurisdiction of England and Wales. Sharon Williamson, a commercial litigator with a portfolio of banking clients, heads the Manchester and Liverpool offices. Senior associate John Quicler deals with defended actions arising from debt recovery instructions. Senior associate Kate Steele is developing a niche in contentious data protection cases.
Other key lawyers:
John Quicler; Kate Steele
‘Hill Dickinson has helped us recover debts that we thought were unrecoverable, they offer a superior service, and have various teams to help with all aspects of our business needs. I wouldn’t use any other firm. They have definitely delivered results which we are very impressed with.’
Thomas Hardie Commercials Limited
Agilent Technologies Limited
Irwell Street Metal Company Limited
Lloyds Bank Commercial Finance Limited
Acuant UK Limited
Piccadilly Village Management Limited
Elior Group PLC
Bibby Commercial Finance Limited
Bibby Factors Limited
Bibby Factors Scotland Limited
Wirral University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
NHS Business Services Authority (Pensions)
MJ Birtwistle & Co Limited
The Delivery Group
KPT Solutions Limited
Bruton Lloyd LLP
UK Oil and Gas PLC
BTS European Limited
Bullimores Sand and Gravel Limited
Belvoir Farm Drinks Limited
VA Hutchinson Flooring Limited
Sweeney Todd Blades Limited
- Recovered an outstanding debt of €179,087.75 against a debtor company based in Israel arising from a supply agreement in which our client supplied medical cannabis to the debtor company for medical distribution in Israel.
- Achieved payment for a crypto currency investor based in China, who had invested BTC (Bitcoin) in two different crypto currency ventures facilitated by an UK Citizen, after debtor had defaulted on the terms of the settlement agreement.
- Recovered full payment of an outstanding debt relating to the supply of personal protective equipment (PPE).
The Keith Jones Partnership
The Keith Jones Partnership provides the full-spectrum of legal debt recovery services to clients and specialises in ‘business to business’ debt recovery. The practice advises on international matters across Europe, the US, South America and the Far East. The team is lead by Keith Jones, a renowned debt recovery expert. Co-heads Nicholas Brown and Brenda Li are other key members of the department, with the latter offering expertise on technology-based disputes. Associate Kris Minks deals with debt recovery relating to the recruitment agency sector.
Keith Jones; Nicholas Brown; Brenda Li
Other key lawyers:
Kris Minks; Alex Jones
‘Keith Jones and his team have outstanding client care – their approach is highly responsive and solution-driven, whilst also giving robust and practical advice where appropriate.’
‘Keith Jones is personable and approachable. He has a refreshingly no-nonsense style, and is always willing to collaborate with counsel to provide clients with a genuine team service.’
‘Brenda Li is professional, clear, intelligent and concise.’
‘I am dealing with Nicholas Brown and he is one of the most approachable lawyers and person I have come across. He has a genuine warmth and has a great legal mind which filled me with confidence.’
‘I worked with both Kris Minks and Brenda Li in the last year. Both are excellent representatives of their firm; they are approachable, well informed, easy to deal with and commercially aware. I would recommend.’
‘They are always extra helpful, go above and beyond to make sure we are well informed, quick at replying and helped us to win pretty much all the cases we passed on to the team.’
‘Miss Brenda Li is our main point of contact and she is simply brilliant. Knowledgeable, exceptional at helping with any queries quickly and thoroughly and truly has our best interest at heart.’
‘Keith Jones has been our external legal representative for the last twenty years approx. He has remained totally professional and has a fantastic legal brain along with a mountain of knowledge regardless of what we have asked or put to him over the years.’
- Recovered full payment of the debt in excess of £25,000 for a client including costs and interest after hard negotiation efforts.
- Recovered full payment of the debt in the region of £16,000 against the estate of a deceased debtor.
Weightmans LLP handles debt recovery matters for clients across a range of industries, including utilities, local government and other public sectors. Practice head Andrew Cox is renowned for providing solution-based and technology-led advice acts for clients in banking, utilities and transport. Co-head and consultant Mark Burch has particular expertise in dealing with complex defended actions and the use of insolvency procedures to assist in the collection of debt.
Andrew Cox; Mark Burch
Other key lawyers:
‘We have always found the team very approachable at all times. They deal with our requirements as per our request and in a timely manner.’
Motor Insurers’ Bureau
Johnsons Textile Services Limited
Hillfoot Steel Limited
Maersk Line A/S
Murray Metals Group
Liverpool City Council
NWF Agriculture Limited
Specific & General Services Limited
Radius Group (including UK Fuels Limited)
NWF Fuels Limited
Alphabet (GB) Ltd
Davis Coffer Lyons
- Acted for the MIB in recovering monies (paid out under the Uninsured Drivers Agreement) from uninsured drivers.
- Provided Murray Metals with all of its debt recovery requirements.
- Acted for Alphabet in England and Wales in recovering monies owed under vehicle finance agreements and providing regulatory advice.
Fieldfisher‘s debt recovery team acts for a diverse range of clients, including insurers and pension providers, digital equipment suppliers and financial services. The practice specialises in the recovery of bulk debts. David Robinson leads the team, dealing with the recovery of both disputed and undisputed debt for clients in the service sector, landlords and commercial lenders. Barry Sharples departed the firm in June 2021.
- Acted for a supplier of medical equipment on debt recovery matters with a number of six figure settlements for this client with total recoveries in excess of £1.1 million.
Gorvins Solicitors often acts for insolvency practitioners to collect debts on behalf of liquidators and administrators and recovery of monies due under guarantees. Mark Deverell heads the team, handling debts relating to the provision of bulk chemical supplies. David Guest is a name to note, specialising in both corporate and personal insolvency. Senior associate Danielle Clements offers expertise in contentious probate matters, whilst associate Sunita Patel has experience dealing with multi-track claims and debt collection out of jurisdiction.
Other key lawyers:
David Guest; Danielle Clements; Sunita Patel
Greenhalgh Kerr, a Wigan-based boutique debt recovery firm, advises clients within the asset finance and leasing finance sectors. The firm is particularly recognised for its niche expertise in recovering non-domestic business rates for UK local authorities. Co-heads Daniel Tate and Steven Owens lead the team. Richard Kerr is noted as another key team member.
Daniel Tate; Steven Owens
‘They have a fabulous knowledge of the asset finance industry, coupled with short communication lines and commerciality.’
‘Daniel Tate has always been superb over many years. Contactable and attenitve, he manages to deal with us and our cases in a business-like manner as opposed to a lawyer-like manner.’
‘There is a multitude of firms operating in the debt recovery sector and many of them are well established. There are few however who have such a pragmatic implementation of their knowledge resulting in swift successful recoveries as opposed to long-drawn-out action/trials where the only real beneficiaries appear to be the lawyers.’
‘We find that because GHK have their own specialist team handling non-domestic rate work for authorities, we are able to approach them for assistance in confidence knowing that they will draw appropriate conclusions in a cost-effective way.’
‘Steven Owens is always available to speak with and steps in to resolve issues.’
- Issued Proceedings for return of goods and/or monetary judgment on unrepresented debtor who was in arrears and refused to return the financed asset to the client, PCF Bank.
- Advised Asset Advantaged, who had a debtor with unpaid Hire Agreements, and successfully negotiated a repayment schedule to ensure recovery of the debt in full.
- Overcame complex legal arguments at a 4-day trial, then liquidated the debtor’s assets to recover over £800k in debt for the client, Asset Advantage.
Pannone Corporate LLP's experienced team advises high-profile clients, including international brands, on ‘business to business’ debt recovery matters. Karl Williams has considerable experience in the sector and heads the practice. Associate Denise Lamb handles all aspects of commercial debt recovery. Fellow associate Simon Fitzgerald is another other key contact.
Other key lawyers:
Denise Lamb; Simon Fitzgerald
‘The team is exceptional value for money, experienced and provides timely advice.’
‘Karl Williams is pragmatic, highly experienced and sensitive to our business risks.’
‘Karl Williams will always go the extra mile for his clients and is always willing to share his wealth of experience.’
Exertis (UK) Limited
Hilti (GB) Limited
L’Oreal (UK)) Limited
Kellan Group Limited
PPL PRS Limited
Edmundson Electrical Limited
DHL International (UK) Limited