Corporate tax in North West
At Addleshaw Goddard, the team handles the full range of corporate tax advisory matters, including the tax aspects of private equity and property transactions, asset finance, M&A, restructuring, employment and disputes. The team also routinely handles tax-related governance and regulatory work. Practice head Justine Delroy represents many of the region’s mid-market private equity houses while Michael Hunter represents a number of developers, institutions and non-UK investors on property investment and development transactions in addition to joint ventures. At junior level, managing associate Catherine Concannon counts tax structuring and employment tax among her key strengths.
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Moneysupermarket.com Group PLC
Phoenix Equity Partners, Elysian Capital, LDC, Equistone, Livingbridge – PE houses
- Advising Aviva Life and Pensions on the tax structuring of its £70m disposal of its Echelon portfolio to Warehouse REIT.
- Advising Phoenix Equity Partners on structuring of its management buyout of Mobius Life, serving as primary tax advisers on both the acquisition and equity arrangement.
- Advising Pebble Group Ltd on its £135m AIM placing, handling the tax aspects of the pre-listing reorganisation, as well the listing agreement.
DLA Piper's corporate tax team works with private equity funds, portfolio companies and management teams, as well as management teams, public sector bodies, educational institutions and privately owned businesses. David Thompson is the key name locally, leveraging his expertise on the tax aspects of M&A, disposals, demergers, group reorganisations and reconstructions; he is also well-versed in respect of management buyout and buy-in transactions, as well as joint ventures. The team also undertakes a large amount of work for US corporations and is knowledgeable of commercial property and inward real estate investment. Legal director Stephen Jones is a VAT, stamp duty, capital allowances and capital gains tax expert.
Orbital Education Limited
Lloyds Development Capital
Flowtech Fluidpower plc
YM&U Group Limited (formerly James Grant Group)
- Advised on the structure of an investment by BGF into Orbital Education Limited. This included new equity incentive provisions in the articles and addressed the effects on existing owners and management shareholders.
- Advised Arlington Capital Partners IV LP in connection with the acquisition of Blaenavon Forgings Limited, an aerospace supplier based in Wales.
- Advising the management shareholders of YM&U Group Limited in connection with the acquisition and subsequent management equity incentives in the UK and USA.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP's practice covers the full array of corporate tax matters; incentives are a field of particular expertise for practice head Lynette Jacobs , who is entrusted for the establishment of new plans, the ongoing operation of existing plans, employee trusts, corporate governance and the tax aspects of corporate transactions. Elsewhere, Steven Porter is a star name for disputes involving HMRC in addition to VAT, customs duty, property and employment tax. Key sectors of expertise include financial services, energy, advanced manufacturing and technology.
Other key lawyers:
Imperial Brands plc
Halfords Group plc
The Vitec Group plc
Portmeirion Group plc
Carr’s Group plc
Begbies Traynor Group plc
EMIS Group plc
Capgemini UK plc
- Advised Imperial Brands plc on the operation of its six share plans globally, extending to 55 countries.
- Advised on the design, establishment and implementation of share incentive arrangements on Induction Healthcare’s £34m AIM IPO in May 2019.
- Advised The Vitec Group on the ongoing international operation of its existing share plans and the introduction and subsequent UK and overseas operation of new share plans.
Patrick Ford, ‘an exceptional tax specialist’, is the key name at Squire Patton Boggs; he heads the department and is acclaimed for his handling of the tax aspects of corporate finance, matters, property transactions and corporate restructurings, alongside expertise in employment tax and employee incentive work. Another lawyer to note is senior associate Victoria Murphy who is developing a reputation for her knowledge of private equity transactions, management buyouts, share schemes and corporate acquisitions. Industry expertise encompasses the energy, technology, recruitment, chemicals, real estate, leisure and sports sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘Patrick Ford is an exceptional tax specialist. He is unquestionably up to date with the latest changes and is able to respond swiftly to any query you ask. As he has such a depth of knowledge and experience. He does not need to give points some thought but instead is able to give you a quick view – which is sometimes all you need. I have such confidence in his advice and am always grateful for the quick turnaround he is able to provide. He also has specialist knowledge of the recruitment sector.’
‘The stand out partner is Patrick Ford. He is commercially astute; practical advice; understanding of business requirements and issues.’
Watkin Jones plc
Grafton Group plc
GB Group plc
Coventry Building Society
University of Law
The Co-Op Group
- Acted for EDF Renewables on tax aspects of the acquisition of Pivot Power, a battery storage developer.
- Acted for Watkin Jones plc on tax aspects of the development and sale of a student accommodation complex in Wembley to the real estate investment business of DWS.
- Advised GB Group plc on the renewal and extension of the company’s international employee share plan in 16 jurisdictions.
Brabners LLP caters for the corporate tax aspects of transactions across a variety of sectors, and also undertakes a broad range of disputes with HMRC, in addition to those pertaining to tax warranties and covenants in share sale agreements. Mark Whiteside heads the team, which is also reputed for its VAT and real estate transaction expertise and prides itself on its advisory offering which includes work on fundraising, acquisitions, restructurings and disposals.
Beaverbrooks the Jewellers
NWF Group plc
Suez Recycling and Recovery Limited
Martin McColl plc
Begbies Traynor Group plc
Bridgestone UK Limited (Bridgestone Tyres)
Chase de Vere
The Lawn Tennis Association (LTA)
- Advising Glenbrook on the VAT and SDLT aspects of a 19-storey hotel and apartment complex at the former Yorkshire Post Office in Leeds city centre.
- Advising Football Ventures (Whites) Limited on the tax aspects of the purchase of the business and assets of Bolton Wanderers Football & Athletic Company Limited and Bolton Whites Hotel Limited (both in administration).
- Advising Cityheart on the VAT and SDLT aspects of a large forward funded student accommodation project in Hereford.
At DWF, Liverpool partner James Cashman is the key contact for the North West market. His practice spans employee incentives and share schemes, private equity investments, restructures, disposals and management incentives in addition to the tax aspects of M&A. Real estate development work, landlord and tenant issues, acquisitions and disposals are also a core field of work. Particular focus is directed towards the technology, financial services and retail sectors.
Sovereign Capital Partners
Inflexion Private Equity
NVM Private Equity
North Edge Capital
Velocity Composites PLC
Equiniti Group PLC
Adidas (UK) Limited
Vivona Brands Limited
Redx Pharma PLC
- Acted for Inflexion Private Equity on its investment into the UKs leading B2B tech-enabled provider of property and re-mortgage conveyancing services.
- Advising Digitalbox PLC on the structuring and implementation of employee incentives for management and key employees in relation to the reverse takeover of Digital Publishing (Holdings) Limited.
- Advised the Shareholders of Vivona Brands Limited (including Inflexion Private Equity) on their UK tax position on the sale of their shares and the issue of new equity in the US buyer.
MSA Law Limited
The team at specialist tax firm MSA Law Limited centres around the firm’s two co-founders, Bernard McIlroy and Fiona Sutherland. McIlroy's specialist expertise includes transactional tax, particularly exit planning, in addition to reorganisations, reconstructions and the structuring of private equity-backed transactions. Sutherland is well-regarded for her handling of transactional tax matters, though is also active in respect of the structuring and implementation of employee share incentives, advising on such issues for both private and public companies.
Weightmans LLP is well-regarded for its advice on the tax aspects of corporate acquisitions, disposals, restructuring, demergers and capital reductions. The team also regularly advises OMBs of employee incentive design and incentives with notable experience held in relation to EMI schemes. Haydn Rogan serves as practice head.
Lucideon Group Limited
Caunce O’Hara & Company Limited
Planixs GRP Limited
PHD Equity Partners LLP
Leeds City Council
Brightblue Consulting Limited
Zoomcar Share Limited
Dimerco Express Group Limited
The Sovini Group
- Advised the shareholders of product data management specialist, Quite Refreshing Limited and its subsidiary Quick Release (Automotive) Limited on the sale of their shares to Alten Europe SARL a subsidiary of ALTEN Group (listed on the Paris stock exchange).
- Advised Lucideon Group on the design and implementation of a tax efficient share incentive scheme following a scheme of arrangement in 2015 that resulted in a substantial proportion of the shares being held by an Employee Benefit Trust (EBT).
- Advising a large regional employment agency on the proposed reforms to the intermediaries (IR35) legislation and extension of the off payroll working rules to the private sector.