Corporate and commercial: Manchester in North West
Addleshaw Goddard 's team handles M&A, cross-border transactions, equity capital markets, private equity, corporate real estate deals and IPOs. Paul Medlicott heads the team and represents private equity investors, sellers and management teams, acting for many private equity houses in the North West. The 'unflappable' Andrew Green acts on corporate transactions and also focuses on private equity, meanwhile the 'exceptional and hands-on' Roger Hart and managing associate George Danczak are also recommended. Michael Birchall and legal director Jamie Partridge both left the firm for Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP.
Other key lawyers:
‘Easy to deal with, hard working and focus the discussion with clients on the issues that matter most’.
‘Andrew Green is a real solution finder – unflappable on deals and brings a calming air of authority’.
‘George Danczak is a high quality lawyer who seems destined to be a very effective partner in the making’.
‘Extremely professional, very dedicated and committed to giving clear and timely advice, despite working to tight timescales’.
‘The Addleshaws team are exceptional in almost every way. They are extremely responsive, highly commercial and pragmatic, and very client centric’.
‘Roger Hart is an exceptional, hands-on partner. He is always available and provides highly commercial and pragmatic support’.
JD Sports Fashion
Many private equity houses in the North West including Ardenton, BGF, ECI, Elysian, Endless, Equistone, Foresight, Inflexion, Livingbridge, LDC, Maven, NorthEdge, Palatine, Phoenix, Primary Capital, YFM and Waterland along with many of their portfolio companies
- Advised on the $558m acquisition of The Finish Line, Inc.
- Advised owners on the sale of the Concept Life Sciences Group to Spectris plc for £163m.
- Advised Numis in its capacity as sponsor, financial adviser, sole bookrunner and broker to AJ Bell in respect of its IPO on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange for a market capitalisation offer price of £651m.
- Advised Produce Investments PLC on its takeover offer by Promethean Investments LLP for £55.3m.
- Advised The Bruntwood Group on its acquisition of Birmingham Science Park and subsequent joint venture with Legal & General, to be known as Bruntwood SciTech.
DLA Piper UK LLP handles sales and acquisitions, private equity transactions, MBOs and various commercial matters for local, national and international private companies, public companies, private equity houses, entrepreneurs and global corporate organisations from its Manchester office. Key client sectors include industrial, Fintech, retail, and food and beverage. Lee Brierley and James Kerrigan head the team. Other key partners include Jonathan Watkins, Yunus Maka and Andrew Phillips who recently joined from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP. Senior associate David Booth is also recommended.
Lee Brierley; James Kerrigan
Other key lawyers:
ABM Industries Inc
Beech Tree Private Equity
Biffa Group Limited
Talk Talk Group plc
Flowtech Fluidpower plc
Key Retirement Group
Lloyds Development Capital
NCC Group plc
The Co-operative Bank
The Hut Group
Transport for the North
- Advising Visa Europe Services on its £142m acquisition of Fraedom Group from Hogg Robinson Group.
- Advising Metric Capital Partners and management of YM&U Central Services Limited (formerly James Grant Group Limited) in relation to the tertiary buy-out of the group by Trilantic Capital Partners.
- Advising Beech Tree Private Equity on the MBO of BCN Group.
- Advising on the £60.1m acquisition of the business and assets of Donnelley Language Solutions. The deal was structured as the acquisition of various assets, liabilities and shares in the subsidiary companies of the seller across 14 territories.
- Advising Willows Veterinary Group on the sale of the business and assets of the group (including the share sale of Beeston Animal Health) to VetPartners Practices.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP advises on M&A, sales, joint ventures, private equity and commercial matters. The firm acts for public and private sector clients and continues to advise on major regeneration and development projects across the UK. The team, headed by Tom Bridgford , focuses on client sectors including healthcare, aerospace and defence, technology, retail, real estate and chemicals. Key partners include Alistair Cree, Daniel Hall and Michael Birchall , who recently joined from Addleshaw Goddard. Senior associate Elizabeth Tindall and legal director Jamie Partridge are also recommended. Nicola Brookes was promoted to partner.
Other key lawyers:
Zeus Capital Partners
Manchester Airports Group
Four Seasons Healthcare Limited
Van Elle Holdings plc
Urban Splash Holdings Limited
BT Group plc
BAE Systems plc
European Metal Recycling Limited
Lucozade Ribena Suntory
INEOS Europe AG
Smiths Business Information Services Limited
Go Plant Fleet Services Limited
University of Manchester
- Acting for Cox & Kings (Indian listed) on the sale of its Travel Education Division to Midlothian Capital Partners Limited for £488m.
- Acting on the £237m acquisition of Minit Mart from TravelCentres of America
- £90m sale of Russells Construction, Russell Homes and Alliance Property Asset Management to WHBO Construction and Catella.
- Continuing to advise the university on the circa £1.5bn development of its North Campus in Manchester City Centre.
- Advised Urban Splash House Limited in its landmark corporate joint venture with Peel Holdings in relation to the £55m development of 347 modular homes within the Wirral Waters dockside development in Liverpool.
Pinsent Masons LLP is adept at representing large corporates on strategic M&A and equity capital markets deals, as well as focusing on private equity, where it works with many buyout houses and management teams . On the commercial side the firm advises on supply chain management, franchising, advertising, agency, distribution, outsourcing, logistics, managed services, licensing, data protection and compliance. Key client sectors include manufacturing, technology and energy. Gregg Davison and Samantha Livesey head the team, with support from Helen Ridge, Kieran Toal and Amie Norris who was recently promoted to partner. Senior associate Alasdair Weir is also recommended.
Gregg Davison; Samantha Livesey
AMEC Foster Wheeler Plc
Livingbridge Equity No Partners LLP
Equistone Partners No Europe Limited
UDG Healthcare plc
Sovereign Capital Partners
Vaultex UK Limited
Innovative Vector Control Consortium
The Jockey Club
- Advised AJ Bell plc on its £650m main market flotation.
- Sole adviser to Equistone Partners Europe and the management team on the £380m private equity sale and secondary management buyout of Travel Counsellors to Vitruvian Partners.
- Advised the shareholders of Linnaeus on its sale to Mars, having acted for Sovereign Capital on the initial investment and advising the company on all of its bolt on acquisition.
- Advised the Co-op Group on its successful purchase of Nisa Retail for £143m.
- Advised the Innovative Vector Control Consortium on international projects for the delivery of products for the reduction of vector borne diseases.
The expanding CMS Manchester team has a particular focus on the corporate real estate and hotels sectors. It advises national and international clients on corporate finance, fundraisings, public and private M&A, joint ventures and corporate governance. London-based Charles Currier, Iain Newman and Manchester-based Howard Gill head the UK-wide team. In Manchester the firm has added a number of associates including James Kay , James Crossman and Tim Dobbing ,who moved from the London office.
Charles Currier; Iain Newman; Howard Gill
RDI REIT plc
Spectrum Brands Group
Bibby Line Group
Manchester Airport Group
Zeus Capital Limited
Ground Rents Income Fund plc
Fattal Hotels Limited
FETTE Compacting International GmbH
International Hotel Properties Group Limited
Select Property Group
Costcutter Supermarkets Group
Far East Consortium Limited
RBH Hotel Management Group Limited
Transcendent Real Estate Limited
- Represented shareholders of UKFast.net on an investment by Inflexion, which valued the company at £405m.
- Acted for FTSE250 listed company RDI REIT on its £162m acquisition of an 80% interest in the LSO Services Interco Limited group of companies.
- Advising Bibby Supply Chain Services, a subsidiary of Liverpool based conglomerate Bibby Line Group, on its sale of Packaging Logistics Limited to Contraload.
- Acted for FETTE Compacting International GmbH (FETTE) acquiring Euro-Pharma Machinery Limited which has been a distributor of the products of FETTE for 20 years in the UK.
- Advised Manchester Airports Holding Limited on the creation of a property company (PropCo).
DWF acts for local, national and international clients on capital markets, M&A, private equity transactions and commercial matters. The 'robust' and 'commercial' team represents private equity houses, management teams, listed companies and nomads and brokers. Key client sectors include financial services, retail and technology. Craig Chaplin, Jonathan Robinson, Frank Shephard and James Lonsdale head the team. Lisa Stavropoulos is also recommended. Stuart Crook joined as associate from Stephensons Solicitors LLP.
Craig Chaplin; Jonathan Robinson; Frank Shephard; James Lonsdale
Other key lawyers:
‘Commercial, detailed and with a thorough understanding of the issues.’
‘Unafraid to be robust’.
‘Good partner engagement, very hands on’.
‘Very commercial and focused on adding value beyond just legal advice’.
Arlington Industries Group Limited
Moneyplus Group Limited
Redx Pharma plc
Equiniti Group plc
Inflexion Private Equity Partners
Lloyds Development Capital
Aurelius private Equity
RMS International Limited
Fluent Money Group Limited
Carpenter Technology Corporation Inc
Healthcare Communications (UK) Limited
Velocity Composites plc
Scapa Group plc
Palatine Private Equity LLP
Blue Bay Travel Limited
Zeus Capital Limited
Tatton Asset Management plc
Vivona Brands Limited
Comparison Technologies Limited Group
NWF Fuels plc
James Cropper plc
Mission Mars Limited
Zeus Group Limited
Mini-cam Enterprises Limited
Now Healthcare Group Limited
Cardinal Maritime Limited
Zuto Holdings limited
Belle Vue aces Speedway
Marks and Spencer
- Corporate acquisition of Aquila Holdings Limited by Equiniti.
- Represented the shareholders of LPW Technology Limited on the £65m sale of LPW Technology Limited to New York Stock Exchange-listed Carpenter Technology Corporation
- Acting for the Shareholders of Mission Mars in relation to a £10.5m investment in the company by Business Growth Fund.
- Acting on the £30m acquisition of the holding company of Stratford Healthcare Centre.
- Advised Schweiter on its £92m acquisition of Lucite Acrylic Sheet.
Gateley Plc represents blue chip businesses, private equity houses and management teams. On the corporate side, the firm advises private and public companies on M&A, private equity deals, MBOs, disposals, joint ventures and shareholder/member arrangements. On the commercial side it advises on core business contracts, supply chain management, brand protection, payment services and outsourcing. Charles Glaskie and Jonathan Moakes head the team. Rebecca Grisewood , Paul Jefferson and Stephen Roberts are also recommended
Charles Glaskie; Jonathan Moakes
Other key lawyers:
Inspired Energy Plc
Just Childcare Limited
Palatine Private Equity
Sorted Holdings Limited
City Football Group
- Sale of Yearsley Group Limited to Lineage Logistics.
- Sale of a stake in Betfred’s Tote business to Alizeti Capital Limited.
- Advised the sellers on the £13.2m sale of PP Control & Automation Limited to PP Holdco Limited, backed by Ardenton Capital.
- Advised the management team of Menzies Distribution, backed by private equity firm Endless, on the £74.5m management buy-out from John Menzies Plc.
- Advised Grafenia PLC on a placing of shares.
Squire Patton Boggs
Squire Patton Boggs advises global clients on M&A, private equity and capital markets and has a growing presence in the corporate real estate market. The firm has a particular focus on the chemicals and manufacturing sectors, and also the tech sector where it is introducing innovative pricing models for start-ups and early stage businesses. Clients include institutional investors, angels and founders/managers. Giles Chesher heads the team and specialises in mid-market private equity and advising large corporate clients. James Fitzgibbon and Jane Haxby are also recommended, while Darren Warburton has a wealth of experience in the chemicals manufacturing sector.
Other key lawyers:
Miss Group Holdings
NorthEdge Capital LLP
On the Beach plc
I.T. Labs Limited
BGF Investments LP
Maven Capital Partners (UK) LLP
United States Bank
Co-operative Group Limited
- Acting for Miss Group on the investment of £6.5m by BGF.
- Advised On the Beach on its £21m acquisition of Classic Collection Holidays.
- Advised I.T. Labs Limited on its £20m acquisition of Content & Cloud.
- Acted for Cheshire Energy Limited on the £16m acquisition of the entire share capital of Halite Energy Group Limited and Anglesey LNG Limited.
- Advised on the transfer of over £1 bn worth of assets.
Brabners LLP represents clients in the tech, media, automotive, healthcare, sport, entrepreneurial and social housing sectors. Described by clients as 'always available', 'diligent' and 'approachable', the firm advises on M&A, disposals, investment structures, commercial contractual agreements and governance matters. Sam Mabon has taken over from Mark Brandwood as head of corporate, while Richard Hough is head of commercial. Tony Harper and Simon Lewis are also recommended. Jon Close joined as partner from Knights plc. Former head of team David Bowcock left the firm for Fieldfisher.
Richard Hough; Sam Mabon
Other key lawyers:
‘Personal service, genuine interest in and commitment to the clients’ best interests’.
‘Always available to provide considered advice – thorough, diligent and personable’.
‘Knowledgeable and approachable people who have an understanding of what we are trying to achieve with our business’.
‘Caroline Litchfield has a wealth of experience and great understanding of what our business goals are’.
‘Tenacity in getting to the root of any problem and giving the right advice’.
Beaverbrooks the Jewellers
Begbies Traynor Group plc (including Eddisons, surveyors)
Bridgestone UK Limited (also known as Bridgestone Tyres)
VT Holdings Co. Limited
Kingsway Financial Group
The Shaw Trust
Chase de Vere
Neo Solar Corporate
Commercial Development Projects Limited
Supertune Automotive Limited
Seddon Group Limited
Zao KPMG Moscow
C&P Apothecaries Ltd
VST Enterprises Limited
Edam Group / Easi-Drive
All About Children
Lucid Games Limited
Commonwealth Games Federation
Peel Ports Limited
Lime Pictures (Hollyoaks) Ltd
CORGI Services Limited
Human Recognition Systems Limited
HR Healthcare Limited (treated.com)
- Represented All About Children Limited on a series of acquisitions as part of their buy and build strategy.
- Represented Paul Deason on his sale of a majority stake in BookF1.com Limited to US company, Motorsport Experiences LLC.
- Represented NRL Limited in its acquisition of Intec (UK) Limited.
- Represented Begbies Traynor Group PLC on its £3.7m acquisition of Springboard Corporate Finance Limited.
- Represented Charles Clark Motors Limited in its disposal of car dealerships to Vantage Motor Group.
Fieldfisher is adept at handling cross-border M&A, private equity, venture capital transactions, and Series A and growth capital fundraisings. Other areas of focus include franchising, e-commerce, licensing, concessions, agency, distribution and strategic alliances. The firm has strengthened its practice with a number of hires including corporate head David Bowcock , who joined the firm from Brabners LLP in May 2018 to launch the practice in its current form. Adam Jones joined from Brabners LLP as an associate and Charlotte Round joined from Brabners LLP as partner. Tom Ward was promoted to partner and relocated to Manchester from Fieldfisher's London office as part of the firm's push to grow the base and integrate its national and international corporate team.
‘Tom Ward is a super lawyer. Very knowledgeable and very can do.‘
Custom Gateway Limited
GHG London Holdings Limited
Typhon Treatment Systems Limited
Deacon Street Partners Limited
Oasis Fashions Group
Warehouse Fashions Group
- Represented Restore on its £88m acquisition of TNT’s document storage business
- Represented Marlowe on its £30m acquisition of William Martin Compliance Solutions Limited.
- Representing Typhon Treatment Systems on its series C funding round and related commercial developments.
- Representing GHG London Holdings on the sale of its property holding company and various reorganisation steps to facilitate the sale.
- Represented Ernst & Young Global Services on its acquisition of Riverview Law.
Hill Dickinson LLP focuses on equity capital markets, M&A, cross-border transactions, asset acquisitions and disposals, corporate joint ventures and investments. The firm has also been acting on an increasing number of private equity transactions. The 'very enthusiastic and hard working' Ian Gillis heads the corporate practice, with Mark Fitzgibbon heading the commercial and IP team. Ian Riggs advises accountants and OMBs.
Ian Gillis; Mark Fitzgibbon
Other key lawyers:
Jonathan Gillow; David Mkhitarian; Tracey Sheehan; James Down; Sean Lightfoot; Katie Somerville; Ian Riggs
Styles & Wood
Barber of Sheffield
- Acting for Styles & Wood Group Plc on its £42.5m take private transaction.
- Acting for shareholders and management on £2.5m partial buy-out of ABL Health Limited supported by investment by Foresight Group.
- Acting for Waterland Private Equity on its circa £20m investment into Gas Tag Limited
- Acting for Royal Sanders on its £12.5m acquisition of a division of McBride
- Placing of new shares for an AIM listed company.
JMW Solicitors LLP operates from a single-site office in Manchester and advises SMEs, OMBs, entrepreneurs, private investors, private equity houses and large multinationals. Areas of expertise include M&A, disposals, reorganisations, corporate governance work, MBOs, joint ventures, private equity, investment structures and share option schemes. Mike Blood heads the team and focuses on the sports and digital sectors. Scott Cameron joined from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP as a partner.
Other key lawyers:
Damien Brown; Mark Heppell; Richard Parkinson; Scott Cameron
Miltibus Quanco Limited (t/a Worcester Warriors)
Air Black Box Ltd
The shareholders of Techikraft Limited
The shareholders of Alpine Fire Limited
Ascend Estates Limited
The shareholders of Architect CT Limited
Bond Group Investments Limited
- Acting on the £21m purchase of Worcester Warriors premiership rugby club.
- Advising the sellers on the sale Technikraft Limited to private equity house, PHD.
- Acting for Kinetic Plc, its shareholders and board on the £4m sale of 100% of its shareholding to the Employee Ownership Trust (EOT).
- Acting on behalf of the management team of Ascend Estates Limited in the sale of 50.1% of the company to Gatehouse Bank
- The team was exclusively instructed to act on behalf of the PSL in its tender process for the media rights for all PSL competitions for 5 seasons, this was valued at £500m.
Kuit Steinart Levy LLP 's 'proactive, intelligent and pragmatic' team represents clients in professional services, family businesses, healthcare, AIM-listed companies and the tech sector. Robert Buckley heads the team and focuses on M&A, joint ventures, inward investment and sports-related commercial matters. On the commercial side the team has experience in the IT, pharmaceutical, hotel, leisure and sports industries. Caroline Brennan joined as a senior associate from Shoosmiths LLP. Peter Allen left the firm for Browne Jacobson LLP.
Other key lawyers:
Kirsti Pinnell; Helen Mather; Robert Levy; James Wall; Jan Winstanley; Caroline Brennan
‘Proactive, intelligent, pragmatic influencers who deliver assignments within all agreed parameters’.
‘Terrific connections with any required external resource’.
‘A rare mixture of youthful enthusiasm and vast commercial experience’.
‘Robert Buckley offers commercial and practical advice, and invariably adds value’.
Bagir Group Ltd
BiSN Holdings Limited
Barkby Group plc (previously Sovereign Mines of Africa plc)
GG Hospitality Management Limited (co-founded by Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs; operators of Hotel Football)
Salford City Football Club
Montessori Nursery Group
Harnbury Holdings (San Carlo Group)
- Advising on all commercial activities for the Class of ’92. A key project this year has been work in relation to the new University Academy 92 project.
- Advised the leadership team and co-founders of fire safety and security specialist Syncro on a management buy-out, purchasing a majority stake in the business from Bowdon Group.
- Advising the AIM-traded mining company on a further placing of shares to enable the company to further invest in its project located on the Northern Limb of the Bushveld Complex in Limpopo Province, South Africa.
- Advised long-term client Bagir Group on a proposed $16.5m investment into the firm from Chinese textiles and clothing company Shandong Ruyi Technology Group Co Ltd.
- Advised a Manchester-based company, which specialises in helping public sector bodies achieve digital transformation, on securing a £1.4 million investment.
Mills & Reeve LLP 's 'responsive' and 'pragmatic' team advises clients in the media, healthcare, retail, food and beverage, property development, technology and private equity spaces. The corporate and commercial team is headed by Chris Ross, who leads on high-value corporate deals, Chris Wilkinson, who is experienced in the pharmaceutical sector, and Paul Knight who leads the commercial, IP and IT side. Vicky Protano joined as principal associate from JMW Solicitors LLP and Charlotte Lewis joined from Hill Dickinson LLP as senior associate.
Chris Ross; Chris Wilkinson; Paul Knight
‘Very responsive team who make you feel valued as a client – something that sometimes gets lost in larger London firms’.
‘Very pragmatic, solutions focused and want to get things done; excellent at collaborating and talking through issues’.
‘Chris Ross in particular is stand out for advice and approach to service quality. He also has that all important sense of humour, even when the pressure is on.’
Phoenix Medical Supplies Limited
Turley Associates Limited
- Advising the WHP Telecoms management team in connection with a partial exit of its existing private equity backers Palatine Private Equity Limited (PPE) and a rollover of equity into a new group structure backed by Equistone Private Equity Limited, with PPE retaining a minority interest.
- Instructed by Phoenix Medical Supplies in relation to the £8m sale of its 21.1% minority stake in RX Systems to Emis Group .
- Advised Boardmasters (a subsidiary of Global Festivals Limited) on its acquisition of Vision Nine Entertainment Holdings Limited and its subsidiary Eleven Limited.
- Acting for food & drink company Puratos in relation to UK subsidiaries, including carrying out a post completion restructuring.
- Advising Leesa Sleep – a Manchester-based direct-to-consumer online mattress company delivering UK-made mattresses on contracts with suppliers and consumers and on data protection compliance and online advertising issues.
Pannone Corporate LLP handles mid-market M&A and continues to grow its private equity practice. The team often deals with cross-border transactions in Europe, the US and elsewhere. On the commercial side, the firm deals with commercial agreements, supply and procurement of goods and services, distribution, outsourcing, joint ventures, compliance and data protection. Steven Grant heads the team. Harriet Sutherland joined as senior associate from Ward Hadaway.
Other key lawyers:
Tim Hamilton; Tom Hall; Mark Winthorpe; Amy Chandler; Philippa Howard; Claire Alden; Harriet Sutherland
Marlborough Fund Managers (part of UFC Fund Management Plc)
NVM Private Equity
Brother International Europe
EM&I group of companies
SMG (UK) Limited
Seven Bro7hers Brewery
- Advised Verlingue on the acquisition of Independent Commercial Broking, based in Surrey.
- Acted for funds managed by Perwyn LLP, who invested into Percy Bidco Limited on its acquisition of Freshcut Foods Limited
- Acted for international hazardous waste management operator, Tradebe Group, on its acquisition of Avanti Environmental Services.
- Acted for Ventec, a company registered in Suzhou City, China on English law aspects of its proposed primary listing on the Taiwan Stock Exchange.
- Advised shareholders on the disposal of a majority interest in CESL to JBW Group.
Shoosmiths LLP is adept at handling corporate M&A transactions and private equity investments. Described by clients as "always willing to assist" and "down to earth" the firm is seeing an increase in international deals. Another area of expertise is high value corporate real estate transactions. On the commercial side the firm has a focus on sports, financial services, IT and IP. Karen Procter heads the corporate team and Stephen Dawson heads the commercial team.
Karen Procter; Stephen Dawson
Other key lawyers:
Tim Jackson-Smith; Andrew Millar; Benjamin Dredge; Anna Kerrane; Richard Millington
‘Efficient, speedy, accurate, knowledgeable and responsive’.
‘A down-to-earth, practical approach provided by local people who are always available’.
‘The same named lawyers advise throughout, building the relationship’.
‘Good at working to tight deadlines’.
‘Great attitude, always willing to assist’.
‘Massive capability across the board’.
‘Ben Dredge is down to earth, provides solid advice and is a consummate professional’.
Malvern International PLC
Xtrac Transmissions Holdings Limited
Foresight Group LLP
James Hall & Co
Billington Holdings plc
Gaist Holdings Limited
YFM Equity Partners
The Alchemist Bars & Restaurants
Select Property Group
Dunkeld House Hotel
Versant Hotels Limited
Consilia Investments Limited
Snap Finance Investments LLC
The Football Association
City Football Group
Thomas Cook Airlines
Manchester Metropolitan University
N Brown Group PLC
- Acted for LDC on the £221m secondary buy-out of supply-chain software company ByBox Holdings by a newco controlled by US-based Francisco Partners.
- Advised Matillion in a Series B fundraise of $20m.
- Advising shareholders of Sandcastle Care Holdings on the £35m sale of the entire issued share capital to Waterland Private Equity Fund.
- Advising property developer Taylor Grange Developments on the corporate aspects of various high profile and high value projects including the Westminster Works and the Holloway Head development sites in Birmingham.
- Advised Gaist Holdings on its £2.7m investment from BGF.
TLT advises on capital markets, venture capital, private equity and AIM IPOs for entrepreneurs and investors from across the UK and overseas. On the commercial side the firm deals with collaboration agreements, commercial joint ventures, data protection, export controls, outsourcing, public procurement, licensing and development. Key client sectors include retail and consumer goods, clean energy, leisure, and food and beverage. Ian Roberts and Stuart Campbell head the team. The "incredibly experienced" Stephen Devlin and Andrew Needham are also recommended.
Ian Roberts; Stuart Campbell
Other key lawyers:
‘Stephen Devlin is measured, pleasant, incredibly experienced and has a really good mind’.
‘Excellent – response times are good but if necessary, immediate action can and will be taken.’
‘Stuart Campbell is very competent in drafting agreements and making sure that the client is not exposed.’
‘The team provides a technically competent, reliable and personable service ensuring that they provide a timely service and have constant communication with you at all times.’
‘Pragmatic, efficient and cost-effective.’
‘Great team – they understand our business and are technically very strong.’
‘TLT’s team in Manchester is a very responsive and extremely pragmatic commercial team. They are effectively an extension of our in-house commercial contracts capability. They make sensible choices based on their in-depth knowledge of their client. This is the reason that I have continued to use them no matter what in-house role I move to.’
‘Elizabeth Delaney particularly stands out as she is very commercially pragmatic and technically competent which is the winning combination for a corporate lawyer.’
David Gardner and Tim Waller are both knowledgable and approachable individuals who are able to manage complex legal matters in a coherent manner.’
‘Stuart Campbell is the most responsive law firm partner that I have ever worked with. He is always on hand to assist immediately with on-point legal advice. He really invests in his client relationships and ensures the gateway into TLT is efficient as he personally oversees that I am directed to the right lawyer in the right team. He is the face of TLT for me with a great network with the firm. This is evidenced by him taking ownership to ensure that the client experience is friction-free by directly reaching out to other teams within the firm. Stuart always thinks about what else he can bring to the client relationship and he offers creative value-added services that cements the bond between firm and client. And he also happens to be one of the most pragmatic, no-nonsense commercial lawyers that I have worked with.’
‘Alex Williamson is a shining star; his drafting is excellent. His attention to detail is superb. His expert guidance has developed through the years and his steer on commercial matters is nimble and on-point. He is one to watch.’
Examworks UK Limited
boohoo group plc
K3 Capital Group plc
Shareholders of NWC Group and High Access Group
Sainsbury’s Plc (including Argos and Habitat)
Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime
Elavon Financial Services
Crown Commercial Service
- Advised fashion company Boohoo on its appointment of a new CEO, John Lyttle, from Primark, to take on the role previously shared by joint CEOs and founders Mahmud Kamani and Carol Kane with effect from March 2019.
- Advised new outsourcing client Teleperformance on its framework agreement for contact centre services with KIWI.
- Advised PrettyLittleThing.com on a five year engagement with Clipper Logistics whereby Clipper will provide warehousing and logistics services to the firm at a centre just outside Sheffield
- Acted for the shareholders of Nationwide Window Cleaning and High Access, both investee companies of Business Growth Fund.
- Advised Uinsure on a group restructuring and the implementation of a group financing facility.
Weightmans LLP focuses on M&A work for owner managed businesses. Client sectors include IT, digital and creative, public sector, higher education and healthcare. Sarah Walton heads the team and specialises in M&A, private equity, investments, joint ventures and strategic projects. Other areas of expertise for the team include corporate finance, fundraisings, governance, demergers and disposals. The firm also deals with contractual and corporate structures, procurement and IP, including university spin-outs.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Raftery; Robert Turnbull; Haydn Rogan; Vincent King; Martin Vincent
MYA Cosmetic Surgery Limited
Carey Holdings Limited
Planixs GRP Limited
Caunce O’Hara & Company Limited
Novel Technologies Holdings Limited
Dimerco Express Group
ANS Group Limited
Slush Puppie Limited
Surrey and Sussex Police
Well (part of the Bestway Group)
University of Salford
University of Lancaster
Queen Mary University of London
University of Cumbria
Manuli Rubber Industries
Minerals Tech Industries/Amcol Minerals
Manchester Fertility Services Limited
National Police Chiefs Council
British Transport Police
Northern Health Science Alliance
Locala Community Partnerships
- Acted for the individual shareholders of Playground Games, the indie British game developer best known for its work on the Forza games, on the sale of their shareholdings to Microsoft.
- Advised Lancaster University on a joint venture with ex England footballer Gary Neville and other ex players and investors to establish UA92 – a new style of university in Manchester.
- Acts for tech company Mercato on corporate and commercial matters, contract reviews and negotiations and policy and governance support.
- Advised Herefordshire Council on its receipt of grant funding from the Department for Education and the Marches Local Enterprise Partnership to build a new university in Hereford, called the New Model in Technology & Engineering (NMiTE).
- Supporting the National Police Chiefs Council on the Digital Policing Portfolio (DPP), which is a series of procurements of IT services to enable digital policing.
BLM advises property owners, developers, local authorities and funders on development, regeneration and infrastructure joint ventures. Other areas of expertise include M&A, venture capital and high-net-worth investments and restructuring. Other key client sectors include retail and e-commerce, medical, manufacturing, travel and professional services. The firm also advises on commercial matters including contracts, data protection and outsourcing contracts. The team is headed by Daniel Varney, Steve Kuncewicz and Jonathan Askin, who joined as partner from Weightmans LLP.
Daniel Varney; Jonathan Askin; Steve Kuncewicz
Oliver James Associates Limited
St Helens Borough Council
Oldham Borough Council
Hardroad (Builders Supply (North West)
Palletower (GB) Limited
Direct Line Group
The Ardonagh Group Limited
J Parker Dutch Bulbs Limited
University of Central Lancashire
Saks Medical & Cosmetic Limited
Santander UK Plc
Cert Property Group
Bugler Smith Limited
Raised Floor Limited
- Advising University of Central Lancashire on the £200m redevelopment of its campus.
Clarke Willmott LLP 's "responsive and engaging" team handles M&A for acquisitive clients, disposal for equity investors and management teams, cross-border transactions and also commercial contracts. Clients include SMEs, IFA groups, lenders, brokers and financial intermediaries. Recently the firm has seen an increasing number of instructions in the healthcare sector, particularly in dentistry. Ed Foulkes heads the team. Matthew Dootson joined as associate from an in-house position at IMH Group.
Other key lawyers:
Matthew Dootson; Helen Tse; Susan Hall
‘Responsive and engaging service by lawyers who want to deliver solutions that work commercially’.
‘Ed Foulkes continues to provide strong leadership and is at the forefront of a team that is more adept and consistent in delivery than many big firms in the city’.
Andy Scott / REL
Rayner Spencer Mills Research Limited
Astute Holdings Limited
Fluid Trust PLC
Northern Provident Investments Limited
Growth Capital Group
GYR Financial Consulting Limited
MWA Holdings Limited
- Acted for the buyer in the acquisition of shares in Bison Transport, a multiple-award winning Canadian transport company.
- Represented the sellers in a share sale of a leading IT consultancy and expert witness business.
- Received multiple instructions for Astute Holdings including as seller in the sale and purchase of assets in an Independent Financial Advisory practice.
- Represented Fluid Trust on a UK mini-bond.
- Acted for multiple founding investors in GCI Group in relation to the company’s reorganisation and investment from a private equity firm.
DAC Beachcroft LLP offers a full range of corporate and commercial work from its Manchester office including M&A, equity capital markets, joint ventures, venture capital, private equity, fundraisings, reorganisations and corporate governance. Its key client sectors include financial services, technology, property, healthcare, retail, energy and natural resources. Paul Ellaby heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
Knights plc increased its presence in the North West by acquiring Turner Parkinson in Manchester in 2018. This move added some 45 fee earners to the growing firm which also floated on the alternative investment market (AIM) in 2018. Initially Knights plc was a commercial firm, but it has now added non-legal services such as town planning and specialist tax advice to its arsenal. In the corporate sphere, it advises on corporate transactions, mergers, acquisitions and disposals, private equity and development capital deals, corporate investments and other strategic projects, with James Sheridan heading the team.
Slater Heelis LLP focuses on mid-market M&A and has a particular focus on the life sciences and healthcare sectors. Its entrepreneurial clients include GPs, pharmacists, dentists and vets, with the firm focusing on taking early stage companies through from funding rounds to exits. Simon Wallwork heads the team and specialises in corporate transactional work including acquisitions and disposals. Jim Tully joined as partner from an in-house position at the Co-op.
Other key lawyers:
Nicky Collins; Rhian Owen; Jim Tully
Deutsche Asset Management Limited
Blueberry Therapeutics Limited
Bolton Gate Company Limited
Odyssey Interact Limited
Diono UK Limited
Phoenix Optical Technologies Limited
FCMS (NW) Limited
Imperial Associates & Consulting Limited
- Acting for Blueberry Therapeutics on a series A investment by Chinese pharmaceutical company CMS.
- Advising Deutsche Asset Management on the £10.5m sale of Roydon Mill Marina to Lakeland Leisure.
- Acted on behalf of the shareholders of the Noisy Drinks Company North West – selling 75% of the issued share capital to its largest customer Vimto for around £10m.
- Advising shareholders on the £3.5m sale of shares in Trident Fire & Security Group Limited and Trident Security Limited to French company, Scutum International.
- Advising Phoenix Optical Holdings on the £1.3m acquisition of Orion Photonics.
Ward Hadaway focuses on the SME, OMB and family business markets, providing advice on sales, acquisitions, mergers, investments and private equity deals. Other areas of expertise include venture capital investments, disposals, reorganisations, restructurings and refinancings. Key client sectors include biomedical, recruitment, engineering and manufacturing, professional services, pharmaceutical, healthcare, media and technology, leisure and retail. Sean FitzGerald heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
Melanie Yeomans; Paul Johnson; Rachel Clarkson
‘Professional and positive approach to corporate transactions’.
‘Deliver the required result in a timely and efficient manner’.
Vodat Communications Group Limited
Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund
Maven Capital Partners UK LLP
Mike Colling & Company
JSA Services Limited
Neville Johnson Group
Kingdom Services Group Limited
Mercia Fund Management Limited
Holchem Laboratories Limited
Key Capital Partners
- Advising JSA on equity funding by Universal Partners and acquisitions of the business and assets of Kingsley Hamilton, and the entire issued share capital of Crest Plus Operations.
- Advising TechStream on acquisitions of EarthStream Global Limited, PH.D and Voyage Global Energy.
- Advising ProClinical on its sale to ICS Group.
- Acting for SkyParkSecure on its sale to Manchester Airport Group.
- Advising Catapult Venture Managers on its investment in Rinicare.
Bermans is adept at handling M&A, disposals, joint ventures, venture capital, and shareholder reorganisations. Key areas of focus for the practice include asset based lending and private equity. Its client base includes SMEs, family businesses, entrepreneurs, professional partnerships, charities and institutional investors. Jonathan Davage heads the team. Stephen Jarman joined as a non-executive director from Taylors in 2018.
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Jarman; Robin Hastings
1PM Group/Academy Leasing Limited
Seneca Capital Partners
ICTS (UK) Limited
H & M Distribution Group
Checkd Media Holdings
Connect Childcare Group Limited
ESRG Group of Companies (numerous)
Restoration London Group
The Start Up Factory
SRO Holdings Limited
Hippo Motor Group Limited
Wellington Motors Group
L & L Motor Group
Castle Chemicals Ltd
Key Recruitment Group
Metamark (UK) Limited
Nutriculture (UK) Limited
Merchant Rentals PLC
Rivers Leasing Limited
CF Capital plc
Creative Capital Limited
System Hygiene Limited
FM Outsource Limited
PHP Holdings Limited
Controlled Air Solutions Group
John Such Cranes Limited
UK Environmental Limited
Reviv Global Limited
Higson Brewery Group
Acuity Private Fund Limited and its investee companies
YR Free Technologies Limited
Freeman Fisher LLP
Freeman Fisher LLP focuses on representing entrepreneurs, OMBs and SMEs on corporate disposals. Other areas of expertise include acquisitions, MBOs/MBIs and bespoke commercial contracts. Gary Black heads the team. Daniel Rodgerson was promoted to managing associate and Melissa O’Brien was promoted to associate. Kin Lui joined as an associate.
Mi Hiepa Scout
Foodwell Manchester Limited
The Gypsy Shrine Limited
Big Chief Tipis
The Awning Company
Calla Shoes Ltd
Sino International Trading Limited
- Acted for sellers in the £2.3m sale of the Manchester-based English language specialists Communicate English Language School.
Laytons LLP advises on corporate M&A, development, disposals and fund establishment across the North West. The majority of clients are SMEs in the retail, leisure, recruitment, fintech and technology sectors. Barney Leaf heads the team with support from John Gavan and consultant David Sefton.
Mercia Fund Managers
Alliance Fund Managers
Party Delights Limited
- Advised Mercia Fund Managers in its capacity as fund manager on the establishment and management of a £23m Midlands Engine Investment Fund Proof of Concept and Early Stage Fund.
- Advised Alliance Fund Managers as fund manager on the establishment and management of a £27m North East (ERDF) Venture Capital Fund.