Bird & Bird‘s IP team has a strong presence in national and cross-border patent litigation, representing clients from highly regulated industries such as automotive, aviation and defence, technology and communications, and life sciences. Amsterdam-based partner Wouter Pors, who is on the standing committee on patents of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs, has niche expertise in representing clients in the biotech sector, involving monoclonal antibodies. Hague-based partner Armand Killan advises major tech and telecoms companies in high-profile cross-border mandates as coordinating European lead counsel. Marc van Wijngaarden represents leading pharmaceutical companies, while Tjibbe Douma, ‘a first-rate analyst and litigator’, advises private equity companies and venture capital tech companies on patent strategies. The ‘technically excellent’ Peter Van Gemert is a key counsel, bringing expertise in procedural law to patent litigation cases. Having joined from DLA Piper in November 2021, Marijn van der Wal works on cross-border infringement proceedings for clients in the life sciences and electronics sectors.
Intellectual property: Patents in Netherlands
Bird & Bird
Other key lawyers:
Armand Killan; Marc van Wijngaarden; Tjibbe Douma; Peter van Gemert; Nina Dorenbosch; Marijn van der Wal
‘The team is very good and works well together. We have worked together successfully now for many years, and they are great to work with. They understand all the issues and the intricacies of patent litigation in telecoms and offer a great breadth of expertise.’
‘Tjibbe Douma is unique in that he makes our business his business, thereby being able to provide excellent strategic advice. Needless to say, he is also a first-rate analyst and litigator. Tjibbe is lovely to work with on both a professional and personal level. He is very dedicated, exceptionally knowledgeable and always on top of matters. It is a privilege working with him.’
‘Armand Killan is an impressive patent litigator. He manages to balance good listening skills with great authority and guides the team well with his expertise.’
‘Wouter Pors is a great lawyer and strategist and offers amazing expertise.’
‘Peter van Gemert is technically excellent. He is a great team player and is very impressive. He is certainly a rising star.’
The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
Anheuser-Busch InBev/AB InBev
Sinopharm Weiqida Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd.
- Representing Nokia in numerous patent litigation proceedings against ASSIA as well as Oppo related to both implementation and alleged standard essential patents on complex DSL technology.
- Acting for Sisvel in preparing appeals in proceedings against Xiaomi, Oppo and OnePlus, as part of multi-jurisdictional patent litigation relating to standard essential patents.
- Representing long-time client Edwards Lifesciences in a multi-jurisdictional multi-patent dispute against Meril Life Sciences and its national distributor, in light of Meril’s global launch at risk of prosthetic heart valve Myval.
With major strengths in coordinating parallel European and global patent litigation, Brinkhof regularly assists market-leading clients in the pharmaceuticals, biotech, food and electronics sectors in high-profile and precedent-setting proceedings. The six full-time patent litigation partners are often the first port of call for large cases. Members of the European patent lawyers association Richard Ebbink and Mark Van Gardingen head a growing and specialised team. Koen Bijvank and Daan De Lange act for clients in specialist areas, with the former experienced in life sciences and the latter in micro-electronics. Promoted to partner in January 2021, Jan Pot is part of a select few lawyers in Netherlands who specialise in Supreme Court appeal proceedings. Fellow promoted partner Rien Broekstra focuses on the electronics sector. The team is completed by in-house patent attorneys working alongside the partners. With the introduction of the Unified Patent Court (UPC), the firm has expanded its global network, combining forces with German patent powerhouse Vossius & Partner to increase its scope of pan-European patent litigation.
Richard Ebbink; Mark van Gardingen
Other key lawyers:
Daan de Lang; Koen Bijvank; Jan Pot; Rien Broekstra; Rik Lambers; Alexander de Leeuw; Barbara Mooij
‘Strong expertise in patent litigation.’
The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
- Assisting Accord in complex patent cases against major pharmaceuticals originators on a worldwide basis, overseeing litigation and coordinating European litigation strategies.
- Representing mobile phone manufacturer OPPO in multi-jurisdictional patent disputes with a multitude of proprietors of standard essential patents (SEPs).
- Acting for the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard on its significant European CRISPR patent portfolio and other patents.
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER leverages its pan-European presence and strategic alliances with other firms across European jurisdictions to cover complex IP litigation. With a large team specialising in patent litigation, the practice is routinely sought out for high-stakes contentious mandates by high-end clients in different industries, such as life sciences, electronics and telecoms. Chairman of the advisory committee of the Unified Patent Court (UPC) Willem Hoyng coordinates patent proceedings for pharmaceutical and biotech companies. Bart van den Broek represents leading Dutch and foreign multinationals in the technology sector and works on structuring licensing programmes. Co-founder Simon Dack, with a technical background and experience working in the European Patent Office, is skilled in cross-border healthcare IP and regulatory law. Theo Blomme brings a niche strength in mechanical engineering, while Peter van Schijndel specialises in patent litigation concerning medical devices.
Bart van den Broek
Other key lawyers:
Willem Hoyng; Simon Dack; Theo Blomme; Peter van Schijndel
‘Strong support, very reactive and business oriented.’
‘A super collaborating team supporting you in all possible cases.’
‘Simon Dack is available at any time and Peter van Schijindel has very strong professional experience.’
AMO (part of J&J)
Ceva (Santé Animale)
Corbin Clinical Resources
Hanwha Q Cells
F. Hoffmann-la Roche
- Successfully represented Hanwha Q Cells against Chinese infringers in various European jurisdictions, achieving a cross-border injunction in The Hague Court of Appeal.
- Represented AstraZeneca in several high-profile patent matters on blockbuster drugs.
- Acted for Philips in seeking an injunction against several companies for non-license use of its large portfolio of essential and non-essential telecoms patents.
BarentsKrans‘ regularly handles biotech and pharmaceutical patent cases; the practice is led by Jaap Bremer, an expert in the technology and life sciences industries. The team also represents clients in the agriculture, telecoms, mechanical engineering and food sectors, working in addition on non-contentious mandates such as cross-border licenses and joint development agreements. Marleen van den Horst left the firm in February 2023 to go to La Gro Geelkerken Advocaten.
‘The team, led by Jaap Bremer, provides on the spot advice and is very knowledgeable in complex technology fields, including biotech and pharma. Jaap is on top of every case.’
‘Jaap Bremer is a first class patent lawyer and at the top of his game.’
‘Jaap Bremer is a stand-out practitioner. His knowledge and litigation strategy are first-class, as is his responsiveness and communication.’
‘The patent team is small but skillful and well aware of clients’ needs’
‘A dedicated IP team truly embedded in a multi-faceted law firm. Offering, for example, genuine integral approach of IP matters from IP perspective and EU competition perspective.’
‘The BarentsKrans team is unequalled in their knowledge of European patent litigation practice and strategy. Their insights are unfailingly accurate and useful, and their deft handling of a complex and contentious matter impressed every member of our team and client. Absolutely first class.’
‘Jaap Bremer, who led the litigation effort, exudes credibility and sound judgement. His assessments and recommendations were logical, well-reasoned, and presented in a manner that was easy to understand. Available 24/7/365, his excellent lawyering skills were equalled only by his tremendous client service skills.’
‘BarentsKrans has a solidly dependable IP practice. They are not as expensive as some of the Dutch offices of the UK-based firms, and the quality of the work is generally of a high standard.’
Viatris (formerly Mylan)
Insud Pharma (formerly Chemo Group)
Advanced Medical Design
- Representing Viatris (Mylan) in ground-breaking multi-jurisdictional patent litigation initiated by Novartis with respect to fingolimod, an immunosuppressant drug used for treatment of multiple sclerosis.
- Acting for Advance Medical Designs, Leapmed and Pelvitec in patent infringement (first instance and appeal) proceedings initiated by Corbin Clinical Resources.
- Successfully represented Insud Pharma in final relief invalidity proceedings against the Dutch part of EP 3 102 187 B1 held by Galenicum regarding sitagliptin.
De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek
Supreme Court patent litigation for major telecoms and pharmaceutical companies concerning patent validity and infringements is a niche specialism of De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek. Tobias Cohen Jehoram leads the practice, advising and litigating for national and international companies in the technology, chemicals, electricals and pharmaceuticals sectors. Jehoram not only acts for clients before all national courts but also before the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) and Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU). Senior associate Bertrand ter Woort works on high-profile life sciences matters and regularly advises on IP-heavy M&A transactions as well as complex R&D collaborations. Carlos Van Staveren is the lead associate in Supreme Court patent proceedings, while recently promoted counsel Roos van der Poel is sought out by clients for transactional IP advice. Since research concluded, Gertjan Kuipers left the firm.
Tobias Cohen Jehoram
Other key lawyers:
Bertrand ter Woot; Carlos van Staveren; Roos van der Poel
‘The team is very strong in patent litigation and is able to provide services on a big scale if needed. The response time is always short. I regularly work with them and don’t want to work with somebody else.’
‘Carlos van Staveren knows the details of every case. Irenah Klink is heavily involved in cross-border cooperation and litigation.’
‘Very good knowledge of cases.’
LVMH (Tag Heuer)
NPS (Amgen (Shire))
- Representing Sonos in pan-European patent proceedings before the Dutch courts affecting its smart speaker eco-system.
- Representing JDE in multi-jurisdictional patent litigation against Belmoca Bvba regarding aluminium Nespresso®-compatible coffee capsules.
- Representing LVMH (TAG Heuer) in patent entitlement proceedings against Flexous and its director.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Head of the healthcare practice, Rutger Kleemans has a leading role in Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer's patent team, representing international blue-chip clients in the pharmaceutical and technology sectors in cross-border injunctions before the Hague Court and rendering injunctions in other EU member states. Jelle Drok specialises in technology-related litigation, including patent disputes. Drok is supported by senior associate Ruben Laddé, who is experienced in advising tech, telecoms and pharmaceutical companies. Leading the transactional IP team, principal associate Jan-Jaap Koningsveld, who spends time in both the Amsterdam and Brussels offices, deals with commercial contracts, licensing and various agreements. IT and IP senior associate Mark Egeler deals with SEP and FRAND licensing disputes, while associate Hiske Roos focuses on complex IP and data protection-related disputes.
Rutger Kleemans; Jelle Drok
Other key lawyers:
Ruben Laddé; Jan-Jaap Koningsveld; Mark Egeler; Hiske Roos
Bristol Meyers Squibb
- Acting for Novartis against Mylan and TEVA, relating to its drug GILENYA.
- Representing Novartis in patent proceedings against the Greek pharmaceutical company Pharmathen concerning Novartis’ patent EP 2 377 519 protecting a method to manufacture octreotide acetate microparticles.
- Defending Novartis against Synthon, which filed nullity proceedings.
Hogan Lovells International LLP
Under the leadership of Bert Oosting and Ruud van der Velden, the patents practice at Hogan Lovells International LLP is sought by pharmaceutical companies and med-tech companies for representation in multiple infringement disputes and European patent enforcement. Van der Velden assists technology clients in obtaining cross-border patent infringement injunctions. Counsel Rik Zagers has expertise in technology-related patent disputes, and recently promoted counsel Dirk-Jan Ridderinkhof is experienced in multi-jurisdictional patent and trade secret matters in the energy and telecoms sectors. Patent litigator Gertjan Kuipers was a new arrival in April 2023 from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek.
Bert Oosting; Ruud van der Velden
Other key lawyers:
Rik Zagers; Dirk-Jan Ridderinkhof; Gertjan Kuipers
F. Hoffmann-La Roche
Zelig Mappa Farmers
- Represented Amgen in patent invalidity proceedings initiated by Accord before the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
- Represented BMS in patent revocation proceedings against Teva and patent infringement proceedings against Sandoz in relation to BMS’s product.
- Represented Oppo in patent revocation proceedings against Sharp before the District Court of The Hague in relation to two patents that Sharp alleged would be essential to the LTE standard.
Simmons & Simmons
Advising originator manufacturers in the pharmaceuticals and biotech fields and leading technology and mobile phone manufacturers on patent applications, infringement proceedings and defences against injunctions are routine work for Simmons & Simmons' patents department. Bas Berghuis Van Woortman focuses on technology-related patents, representing clients in the life sciences and hi-tech manufacturing industries. Johan Renes has expertise in patent litigation involving small molecules, proteins and medical devices companies. Oscar Lamme deals with matters covering competition and patent law. As a European patent attorney, associate Sebastien Versaevel assists clients in parallel proceedings in other jurisdictions.
Bas Berghuis van Woortman; Johan Renes
Other key lawyers:
Oscar Lamme; Sebastien Versaevel
‘Excellent suppport in complex patent matters.’
‘Bas van Berghuis is very responsive, and his pleadings are comprehensive and persuasive. He is easy to work with and considers alternative arguments and procedural tactics.’
‘Big team with lawyers and patent attorneys delivering high quality strategic, procesuction and litigation advice and capability.’
Netherlands Cancer Institute
- Representing Samsung Electronics in several patent disputes: (i) Product-portfolio against pan-European injunctions including SEP and FRAND issues; and (ii) proceedings based on a patent portfolio in relation to digital mobile security technology.
- Assisted Samsung Bioepis in regulatory matters and patent proceedings, involving litigation against a competitor biosimilars company and clearing the way for a new biosimilar product.
- Represented Xiaomi in litigation concerning technical and FRAND disputes.
Taylor Wessing‘s patent practice advises innovative and global clients from a range of sectors, such as electronics, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, fertilisers, food producers and tech manufacturers on disputes concerning both the the enforcement of injunctions and defence against claims. Wim Maas heads the patent group in the Benelux, specialising in FRAND disputes in the mechanical engineering and biotechnology sectors. With a corporate and M&A background, Maas advises clients on IP acquisitions and structuring. Recently promoted partner Charlotte Garnitsch is an expert in cross-border IP cases involving industrial design, life sciences and retail. Likewise, Eelco Bergsma, who was appointed partner at the start of 2022, is an experienced IP litigator with a strong focus on electronics and mechanical engineering. Senior associate David Mulder focuses on matters involving a crossover of IP and competition law.
Wim Maas; Charlotte Garnitsch; Eelco Bergsma
Other key lawyers:
‘One thing that stands out is their pragmatic way of approaching things. I’m sure that many clients may appreciate that, given that this provides an excellent quality/costs ratio.’
‘I’ve worked with the team of TaylorWessing for Standard Essential Patents litigation in the Netherlands and Belgium. They are able to coordinate these kinds of complex ligitation procedures and have the technical expertise to grasp the subject-matter.’
‘Wim Maas has a pragmatic and hands on approach; he is very smart.’
Biota Nutri B.V.
Travois Europe B.V.
SeaB Energy (SeaB Power Ltd.)
Van Loon Group
Jovaplant Honselersdijk B.V.
- Advised and litigated in SEP cases for Ericsson in the Netherlands (including the cross-border effect), dealing with the the anti-suit injunction and anti-anti-suit injunctions.
- Advises Abbott on patent litigation against another leading medical device company, as part of a global strategy.
- Defended Van Loon Group against claims by FrieslandCampina of infringing two European patents, trade secrets and non-compliance of a Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Experienced patent litigator Rogier de Vrey leads the IP practice at CMS. De Vrey has expertise in media and sports as well as life sciences matters. Willem Hoorneman and attorney-at-law Marcoline van der Dussen are key contacts, with the latter an expert in the field of consumer goods and soft IP mandates. Yasar Celebi is a key associate. The team defends food suppliers in infringement and invalidity proceedings and works on applications for patent protection against counterfeiting. Additionally, the practice advises engineering and transport-sector companies on patent disputes.
Rogier de Vrey
Other key lawyers:
Willem Hoorneman; Marcoline van der Dussen; Yasar Celebi
‘The team is enthusiastic, easily accessible and the partners have an interest in the matters.’
‘Has a great interest in the client and assists not only in questions regarding the legal proceedings but also all questions excluding legal that are very relevant for the client.’
‘The team is willing to explore uncommon strategies.’
‘The team has done proper research into the matter, came with good facts and had a strong appearance during the court session.’
‘Acts in a powerful but also decent way in the court performances. They have found a balance between an aggressive and amicable way of acting.’
‘The way they perform in the court room. The team performs in the court room and brings added intensity and excellence in the preparation of the case.’
‘The CMS teams are effective, efficient, user friendly, collaborative and multicultural.’
‘CMS effectively marries the complexity of IP Law with commercial considerations and advises effectively as a result.’
Comcast (NBC Universal, SKY)
Johnson & Johnson
- Represented Kiremko in a substantial number of patent infringement and invalidity proceedings initiated by its competitor Tomra.
- Advised Nano Dimension with the acquisition of Admatec and Formatec, strengthening its position on the market.
- Represents FishFlow Innovations in proceedings relating to the patent license agreement it entered into with a third party.
DLA Piper‘s versatile patent practice is led by Paul Reeskamp, an experienced IP litigator, and Alexander Tsoutsanis, a specialist in contentious matters involving aspects of technology and innovations in sectors ranging from robotics, audio products and biotech. Tsoutsanis also represents global companies in the mechanical engineering and plant variety industries. Combining the global network of DLA offices with a specialist Dutch team, including key associates Willemijn Rensen and Erwin Feenstra, the practice is able to work on both global patent disputes and non-contentious patent portfolio work, namely licensing and restructuring.
Paul Reeskamp; Alexander Tsoutsanis
Other key lawyers:
Willemijn Rensen; Erwin Feenstra
‘DLA’s patent practice provides top quality legal advice. DLA is the first law firm which we recommend to our clients in a complex patent case. In international cases, DLA’s IP partners in various countries help clients to effectively pursue their business interests.’
‘Paul Reeskamp is the number one litigator at DLA Piper. He has outstanding command of patent law and can handle the most complex legal issues. He has the capability to zoom in on the important issues and to build up a strong position for a client in a contentious situation.’
‘Paul Reeskamp is capable of constructing a defence or attack which is strong and realistic at the same time. He manages to develop convincing arguments which go straight to the core of the dispute and is capable of winning a case on the basis of these arguments. Paul Reeskamp has experience in many fields of technology.’
‘Alexander Tsoutsanis is a bright lawyer with deep knowledge of patent law. He can focus on the essential aspects of a case.’
‘Alexander Tsoutsanis is a litigator who likes to roll his sleeves up and understand the nitty gritty.’
‘Collectively the DLA Netherlands team provide a cohesive and collaborative approach to addressing multi-faceted contentious patent matters.’
Glen Dimplex / Basic Holdings
Sakata Vegetables Europe
Sakata Ornamentals Europe
- Acting for long-standing client Glen Dimplex in a dispute before the Court of Appeal in The Hague.
- Handling a cutting-edge patent case about intricate aspects of patent law, surrounding the research exemption and unjustified enrichment.
Thijs van Aerde and Fleur Tuinzing-Westerhuis are influential leaders of Houthoff’s patent team. Van Aerde is an experienced Supreme Court litigator, who represents a variety of clients in precedent-setting patent proceedings, including in summary relief and merit proceedings. Tuinzing-Westerhuis has extensive experience in litigation relating to national and community plant variety rights and is sought out by international clients in the agri-food sector as well as the pharmaceuticals, chemical manufacturing and technology industries for advice on patent infringement.
Thijs van Aerde; Fleur Tuinzing-Westerhuis
‘Industry knowledge, quality of the work.
‘Fleur Tuinzing has knowledge of the industry and is kind and fast.’
Netherlands Vehicle Authority
- Representing the RDW, the holder of the Dutch vehicle registration register, in patent invalidity proceedings at the Dutch Court of The Hague.
- Representing HP in litigation proceedings against a class action claim vehicle founded by Digital Revolution before the Supreme Court.
- Represented Fresenius Kabi in Supreme Court precedent-setting patent proceedings against Eli Lilly concerning pemetrexed or ALIMTA.
With specialist IP teams across the Benelux region, NautaDutilh leverages its integrated practice to work on cross-border patent disputes and is sought out by top foreign law firms as co-counsel. Heading the Dutch IP team and co-heading the life sciences practice, Anne Marie Verschuur represents national and international corporations from a range of industries, such as life sciences, technology and consumer goods in IP transactions, infringement cases and patent restoration proceedings. Counsel Charles Gielen is an experienced IP litigator, while Jeroen Boelens focuses on litigation and regulatory mandates for IT-oriented companies, spanning biotech, pharmaceuticals and telecoms. Senior associate Lisolette Bekke deals with both contentious and non-contentious IP matters for clients active in the fashion and luxury, consumer goods and food and beverages sectors.
Anne Marie Verschuur;
Other key lawyers:
Charles Gielen; Jeroen Boelens; Liselotte Bekke
Wiko / Tinno Mobile
Aseptix Health Sciences
- Represented French mobile telephone manufacturer Wiko and its parent company Tinno Mobile in a large set of patent cases in the Netherlands, initiated by Luxembourg-based entity Sisvel International.
- Representing medical technology group Heraeus in its global litigation against Biomet Zimmer Biomet concerning sold bone cement.
- Assisted Ginkgo Bioworks in IP matters and its acquisition of Dutch DNA Biotech, which has proprietary platform technology focused on the development of fungal strains and fermentation processes for the production of proteins and organic acids.
Vondst Advocaten N.V
Boutique IP specialist Vondst Advocaten N.V represents clients in the pharmaceuticals, biotech and IT sectors in patent litigation. Co-founder Otto Swens is a key contact for life sciences companies and represents clients in plant variety right disputes. Ricardo Dijkstra is a name to note for mechanical engineering and telecoms companies, while Arvid Van Oorschot acts for technology companies in cross-border patent disputes.
Otto Swens; Ricardo Dijkstra; Arvid Van Oorschot
Other key lawyers:
Tjerk Sigterman; Carly Van Der Beek
Kaak Food Processing Solutions
- Representing Sandoz in infringement proceedings before the District Court in The Hague in relation to the Dutch part of European patent against Bristol Meyers Squibb.
- Representing Belimo in IP proceedings against Belparts regarding two European patents concerning flow control systems.
- Representing Pharmathen against another global pharmaceuticals company in patent litigation proceedings.