Allen & Overy LLP’s full-service offering has broad expertise in the life sciences sector, handling both contentious and non-contentious work, with a focus on corporate and commercial matters, financing and regulatory issues. The practice leverages support from its global network for assistance with cross-border work, such as patent litigation and M&A. Christiaan De Brauw co-heads the team and is well known for transactional work in the healthcare and life sciences industries. Frits Gerritzen also co-heads the team and is a name to note for IP litigation and enforcement.
Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Frits Gerritzen; Christiaan de Brauw
Other key lawyers:
Ellen Cramer-de Jong; Sophie Roozendaal
Life Sciences Partners
Check Points BV
- Assisting Bayer Animal Health in the enforcement of its patent against Ceva Santé Animale’s product for the treatment of coccidiosis/anaemia in piglets.
- Advising Life Sciences Partners on the structure and establishment of the LSP Dementia Fund and LSP 7.
- Advising ProQR, a NASDAQ-listed company dedicated to changing lives through the creation of transformative RNA therapies for inherited retinal diseases (IRDs), on a $103.5m offering of ordinary shares.
Hogan Lovells International LLP’s global life sciences and healthcare team handles both EU-wide regulatory work and Netherlands-focused matters, and is well placed to handles cross-border cases by virtue of its international network. On the regulatory side, the practice has notable experience in regulatory exclusivity rights, pharmaceutical advertising, compliance, government investigations and also clinical trials, where it has recently seen an uptick in instructions. The team is headed by Hein Van den Bos , who is a name to note for regulatory work, and Bert Oosting , an experienced patent litigator.
Hein van den Bos; Bert Oosting
Other key lawyers:
Klaas Bisschop; Ruud van der Velden
‘True international representation that makes Hein van den Bos’ team a “one-stop-shop” for EU pharma compliance and regulatory topics where Hein serves as the contact person that handles everything’.
‘Hein van den Bos’ team is very pleasant to work with’.
Loyens & Loeff fields ‘a very professional and reliable team’, which offers combined legal and tax expertise to Dutch and international clients. It has particular expertise in corporate M&A, and financing deals for a range of clients, from local care providers to global pharmaceutical companies. Tom van Helmond is a name to note for regulatory, litigation and competition work, while Kim Lucassen is recommended for contracting and data protection. Frank Leijdesdorff advises on corporate governance and transactional matters.
Tom van Helmond; Kim Lucassen; Frank Leijdesdorff
Other key lawyers:
‘I really enjoy working with the healthcare team of Loyens & Loeff’.
‘The team has a very high level of knowledge’.
‘They take the time to get to know the customer and to identify their needs’.
‘It was a real pleasure to work with this team in difficult times’.
‘The team is very knowledgeable, responsive, and just as important, pleasant to work with’.
‘They take their clients seriously and listen to feedback’.
‘Tom van Helmond is proactive, a strategic thinker and an excellent writer’.
‘Pleasant and knowledgeable employees’.
European Investment Bank
Mount Sinai Health System
Lauxera Capital Partners
Zilveren Kruis Zorgverzekeringen N.V.
Becton Dickson and Company
Forbion Capital Menzis
Mundiharma Allergan, Inc.
Dalcor Pharma UK LTD
- Advised Zorgverzekeraars Nederland (ZN), with respect to the provision of contributions to healthcare providers in order to ‘survive’ the corona crisis.
- Assisted the Malenstein family and NPM Capital on an agreement with Triton on the intended sale of Bergman Clinics, one of the leading chains of independent clinics in the Netherlands, Germany and Scandinavia.
- Acted as Dutch counsel to the European Investment Bank in the financing of market leader Stichting‘s Heeren Loo Zorggroep.
NautaDutilh offers ‘excellent legal expertise, paired with in-depth industry knowledge and commercial acumen’. Its full-service integrated Benelux practice has vast experience in corporate M&A deals and financings in the health care and life sciences sectors, and also assists clients with regulatory matters and contentious issues, including litigation. With offices in New York and London, the practice is well placed to handle international deals and often works alongside large global law firms. Experienced IP litigator Anne Marie Verschuur heads the team alongside Ruud Smits, who advises domestic and international clients on transactional issues.
Other key lawyers:
Stijn Franken; Wijnand Bossenbroek; Antonia Netiv; Paul van der Bijl
‘Hands-on advice, pragmatic, swift and “on their toes”’.
‘Highly responsive, motivated and with high standards’.
‘Nauta has consistently delivered a stellar service in the time I’ve worked with them’.
‘Depth of experience in the life sciences sector means there is not much educating needed on my part and means I can rely on their experience and views with confidence’.
‘Familiar with Dutch law and all aspects of venture investments’.
‘Helpful, responsive and insightful’.
‘Business mindset, translating complex legal concepts into understandable advice’.
‘Concise, flexible and use technology where possible’.
Ginkgo Bioworks, Inc.
ONWARD Medical (formerly GTX Medical)
Johnson & Johnson
Levine Leichtman Capital
LUMICKS Technologies B.V.
Novo Holdings A/S
NewAmsterdam Pharma B.V.
Olympus Winter & Ibe GmbH
Aseptix Health Sciences
Pharming Group N.V.
- Assisted its longstanding client Sanofi with its recommended all-cash public offer on all issued and outstanding shares of Kiadis Pharma.
- Represented GlaxoSmithKline (“GSK”) in the Dutch Chapter of its worldwide litigation against Sandoz regarding GSK’s colour trademark in respect of GSK’s SERETIDE (US brand: ADVAIR) product.
- Assisted NewAmsterdam Pharma B.V. (NAP) with its $192m (€160m) Series A funding round.
The health care and life sciences industry group at BarentsKrans offers clients ‘dedication combined with exceptional knowledge of the field’. The Hague-based practice focuses on regulatory, transactional and IP issues, including disputes and litigation. It acts for a range of companies, from smaller domestic clients to global pharmaceutical firms, and also as local counsel to foreign law firms. Marleen Van Den Horst heads the team and has notable experience in contentious and non-contentious patent, regulatory and product liability matters. Jaap Bremer is recommended for patent and trade mark litigation.
Marleen van den Horst
Other key lawyers:
‘As a client, you can be sure that your interests will be taken care of’.
‘Working with Marleen van den Horst is a pleasant experience’.
‘With enthusiasm and skill, Marleen van den Horst clearly shows why she rightly belongs at the top in the Netherlands’.
‘I think what makes this practice unique is their willingness to think like and for a business’.
‘They have deep knowledge of the corporate structure of a business, so they can easily manoeuvre themselves where necessary’.
‘The depth of experience makes this practice unique’.
‘Marleen van den Horst is very pragmatic and strong on regulatory issues’.
Mylan (now: Viatris)
Insud Pharma (formerly Chemo Group)
NeoKidney Foundation and Dutch Kidney Foundation
AET (Alfred E. Tiefenbacher)
Focus Care Pharmaceuticals
Stada / Centrafarm
Medisch Specialisten Collectief RdGG UA
- Advising Insud Pharma on the launch of various generic and biosimilar products in Europe and filing protective letters on its behalf. Instituting invalidity proceedings against a European patent blocking the production of a blockbuster drug.
- Acting as trusted counsel for HMC, the largest hospital in The Hague region, in all legal matters.
- Advising an internationally well-known biotech company in preparing for launch of a biosimilar in NL, including its litigation strategy.
Bird & Bird fields an international life sciences group which is valued by clients for its ability to leverage expertise from practitioners across the firm’s international network. The practice is well known in the market for its focus on intellectual property and patent litigation, and often advises on cutting-edge technologies, such as genome engineering and monoclonal antibodies. Michiel Wurfbain heads the practice alongside Marc Van Wijngaarden, who is recommended for IP disputes. Armand Killan is a name to note for pharmaceutical and medical device litigation, and the practice was recently bolstered by the arrival of Tjibbe Douma from Dentons.
Marc van Wijngaarden; Michiel Wurfbain
Other key lawyers:
Armand Killan; Wouter Pors; Tjibbe Douma
‘The uniqueness of this team resides inter alia in the excellent professional and personal relationship with the partner (Tjibbe Douma) leading our cases’.
‘Tjibbe Douma certainly stands out; he is an excellent researcher and analyst, not to mention litigator’.
‘Tjibbe Douma has great passion for the job and the client and has extraordinary communication skills’.
B Braun Melsungen
Bilthoven Biologicals / Serum Institute of India
Stichting Katholieke Universiteit (comprising Radboud University and Radboud University Medical Center)
- Represening Ablynx (part of Sanofi) and the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Brussels Free University, VUB), in a patent litigation case on basic patents for camelid antibodies against Unilever, VHsquared, QVQ and other potential defendants.
- Representing Ferring Pharmaceuticals in one of the larger ongoing patent cases in the Netherlands – a long-running dispute between Ferring Pharmaceuticals and rival pharma company Serenity/Avadel over the drug desmopressin, which first developed in the 1970s.
- Representing Swiss Pharma International in a patent revocation action against Biogen’s patent on a monoclonal antibody (natalizumab) for treating MS.
CMS has ‘exceptional knowledge of health laws and manages to translate complex legal issues into workable solutions’. Under the leadership of Ellen Gielen, the practice continues to offer regulatory, compliance, corporate, competition, IP and financing expertise to a broad range of domestic and international clients, and has particular experience in cross-border patent litigation. Gertie Lintjens is active in the pharmaceutical and medical device industry, and focuses on regulatory matters, compliance and disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Gertie Lintjens; Rogier de Very
‘CMS has a very diverse team of experts on many topics’.
‘The team members in CMS are very practical, while having the necessary theoretical and academic knowledge’.
‘Their litigation abilities are excellent, with in-firm expertise available on related legal topics’.
‘Ellen Gielen’s in-depth knowledge of health laws is complimented by an outstanding knowledge of the medical/health sector’.
‘Ellen Gielen’s advice is to the point, practical and provides workable solutions’.
‘Gertie Lintjens commits to her client, and is very loyal; her ability to deep dive into details and find a solution is a gift’.
Johnson & Johnson
- Winning a landmark case on medical devices for Johnson & Johnson against a Chinese medical device company Fengh Medical, that offered infringing imitation products in various EU countries and ME.
- Advised Mosa Meat (cultured meat) on its two-tranche Series B financing led by Blue Horizon Ventures for a total of $75m.
The ‘pragmatic, business-focused, and solutions-driven’ De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek advises clients on high-end disputes, transactions and regulatory enforcement matters, and coordinates advice from across its international network of offices. Gertjan Kuipers focuses on patent litigation and also handles licensing, IP strategy and IP structuring issues, while Tobias Cohen Jehoram is experienced in representing clients in Supreme Court litigation. Reinier Kleipool and Lennard Keijzer are recommended for corporate and M&A work in the health care and life sciences sectors. Oscar Lamme left for Simmons & Simmons.
Gertjan Kuipers; Tobias Cohen Jehoram; Reinier Kleipool; Lennard Keijzer
‘De Brauw are able to offer sound legal advice across the full spectrum of issues in life sciences’.
‘Gertjan Kuipers is a shrewd and experienced practitioner’.
‘The uniqueness of this firm resides inter alia in their understanding of the bigger strategic picture that is important to our company, and not just of the case at hand’.
‘Gertjan Kuipers certainly stands out, being a stellar litigator and strategist..
‘Gertjan Kuipers’ extremely sharp intellect and immediate grasp of issues is an asset to any case and any company’.
‘A class act when it comes to patent litigation in the life sciences sector’.
‘Gertjan Kuijpers is a class act’.
‘Gertjan Kuijpers is a clear and compelling advocate, there are few as good before the Dutch patent courts’.
Synthon Holding B.V.
Arya Sciences Acquisition Corp
IGEA Pharma NV
Bureau Clara Wichmann
Triton Investment Management Limited (target BergmanClinics)
- Advised and assisted Triton in its acquisition of Bergman Clinics, one of the leading chains of independent clinics in the Netherlands, Germany and Scandinavia.
- Representing pharmaceutical multinational Eli Lilly in high-stakes Dutch Supreme Court patent proceedings against Fresenius Kabi.
- Representing Bureau Clara Wichmann in its fight for a fair policy on contraceptives.
Under the leadership of Weyer VerLoren van Themaat and Freeke Heijne, the healthcare practice at Houthoff acts for some of the largest healthcare providers in the Netherlands and has considerable experience of advising hospitals and private clinics. Key areas of focus for the practice include M&A, competition, governance and litigation. Heijne offers clients broad knowledge of healthcare laws and board-room level advice on regulator matters and Huib Lebbing is a key name for contentious matters and contractual liability issues.
Weyer VerLoren van Themaat; Freeke Heijne
Other key lawyers:
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons has recently undergone significant changes with the departure of former practice co-head Machteld Hiemstra to Pinsent Masons LLP. Johan Renes joined from an in-house role at UniQure and now heads the team alongside Bas Berghuis Van Woortman, and Oscar Lamme joined from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek. The team has a strong focus on IP work, including patents, regulatory and product liability issues, and has a wealth of experience in patent litigation. Berghuis van Woortman has particular expertise in the medical devices, pharmaceuticals and biotech sectors.
Johan Renes; Bas Berghuis van Woortman
Other key lawyers:
‘The Simmons & Simmons team combines high quality, which I’d define as excellent analytical skills, knowledge of the market, understanding of the business and clarity, with a very easy-to-work-with and informal style’.
‘They are truly capable of working with in-house counsels as if they were members of the team’.
Netherlands Cancer Institute
Seattle Genetics Inc.
Medicxi (previously Index Ventures)
Médecins sans frontiers
- Advising Gilead Sciences in proceedings before the administrative Supreme Court concerning the IP protection for one of the best known treatments for HIV.
- Acting for Samsung Bioepis in litigation concerning an adalimumab formulation patent held by Gedeon Richter.
- Advising Bayer Healthcare in relation to validity and infringement proceedings at the Netherlands Supreme Court in relation to Bayer’s blockbuster contraceptive Yasmin.
Van Doorne is ‘flexible and quick in responses’ and offers clients ‘in-depth knowledge of relevant legal issues’. It has a particular focus on medical devices, pharmaceutical law and data protection, and caters to the corporate, regulatory and litigation needs of clients. Willemien Bischot acts for large healthcare providers on governance, mergers and joint ventures, and funding and financing matters. Dimitri van Hoewijk is recommended for corporate M&A, and counsel Cees Jan de Boer, who is a qualified medical doctor, handles market regulation and competition matters. Meltem Koning-Gungormez joined from Kennedy Van der Laan.
Other key lawyers:
Louis Jonker; Meltem Koning-Gungormez
‘They really work together as team, bringing in knowledge or other disciplines if needed’.
‘Pleasant to work with, with a down-to-earth approach’.
‘The partner we deal the most with (Willemien Bischot) is not only a great expert but is also a person with authority who can make the difference in a meeting’.
‘The healthcare team is closely connected and aware of sensitivities’.
‘Willemien Bischot is a trustworthy specialist’.
‘Practical, analytical, people-oriented, with a good overview of the health care system and its key players’.
‘It is a no-nonsense firm with a pragmatic attitude’.
‘Capability to understand the issue and the complex commercial issues involved, to listen carefully and to react with useful advice’.
Academisch Medisch Centrum
Blue Horizon Ventures I SCSp RAIF
NKI – AVL
‘s Heeren Loo
VU Medisch Centrum
- Advising longstanding client Mediq, a leading Dutch medical devices and (medical specialist) homecare company, on the proposed acquisition of Eurocept from its founder and co-shareholder Gimv.
- Advised leading Dutch private equity investor NPM Capital on the auction sale process of Mentaal Beter, a mental care portfolio company.
- Advised leading international elderly homecare provider ORPEA S.A. on its acquisition of ‘t Zicht, an elderly care provider in the Netherlands – a transaction was effected by ORPEA’s Dutch entity operating under the “Woonzorgnet” brand.
Vondst Advocaten N.V is a boutique firm that handles contentious and non-contentious IP and IT matters in the health care and life sciences sectors. It has a strong focus on disputes and litigation, and represents clients before national courts, regulatory authorities and the General Court of the European Union. Otto Swens is recommended for patent litigation and is no stranger to cross-border cases, while Ricardo Dijkstra handles patent, technology and life sciences litigation. Arvid Van Oorschot also handles regulatory matters and litigation.
Otto Swens; Ricardo Dijkstra; Arvid van Oorschot
‘The team has in-depth knowledge of the industry and is able to translate such knowledge into practical and hands-on advice’.
‘Ricardo Dijkstra is a great personality to work with’.
‘Ricardo Dijkstra is smarter than most, and really driven to deliver on time and above expectations’.
AKD’s healthcare and life sciences group offers clients broad expertise in corporate and litigious matters. The firm is experienced in representing clients in proceedings, including those brought by government authorities, and also in advising clients on regulatory issues, compliance and competition matters. Klaas Meersma is recommended for mergers and demergers and strategic alliances, and often acts for health care institutions. Joris Rijken handles health care procurement, contracting and regulatory matters, while associate Barbara Mutsaers deals with commercial issues.
Klaas Meersma; Joris Rijken; Barbara Mutsaers
‘Barbara Mutsaers has excellent knowledge and understands how it applies to our business’.
‘Barbara Mutsaers keeps things pragmatic and simple’.
‘Excellent knowledge, flexible, and more than just lawyers, they are trusted advisors’.
‘Excellent accessibility, friendly and resolute, and they also dare to contradict’.
‘Klaas Meersma is a man who has knowledge and advice rooted in broad experience’.
‘Klaas Meersma has a good moral compass concerning behaviour in the boardroom and the rest of the organisation’.
‘Klaas Meersma really stands by you in difficult times and is therefore part of the team’.
Stichting Zuyderland Medisch Centrum
Prinses Máxima Centrum voor Kinderoncologie B.V.
Open MRI Zen
Sint Franciscus Vlietland Groep
Reinier Haga Groep
Dutch Association for Care of the Disabled
Dutch Association of Mental Health and Addiction Care
Erasmus Medical Center
Alliance Healthcare Nederland B.V.
Biomet 3i Netherlands B.V./Zimmer Dental Inc.
Het Van Weel-Bethesda Ziekenhuis
- Advising Stichting Reinier Haga Groep on a demerger.
Kennedy Van der Laan
The team at Kennedy Van der Laan is ‘knowledgeable, practical in its approach, pleasant to deal with and delivers a high-quality product’. It is well known in the market for advising clients on corporate, governance, compliance, competition and financing matters. Fenna van Dijk co-heads the practice with over two decades of experience in commercial work; Maarten Schut also heads the team and is recommended for IP. Joran Spauwen is a new election to the partnership.
Fenna van Dijk; Maarten Schut
Other key lawyers:
Sophie van Loon; Joran Spauwen
‘The team switches quickly and works well together’.
‘The team has various specialists, so that the right advisor is available for every question’.
‘Communication is clear and fast’.
‘They are able to explain complex regulations clearly’.
‘They are approachable and pleasant to work with’.
‘Maarten Schut is able to adapt his knowledge appropriately to unexplored grounds, and fully ensure the legal perspective but at the same time put business requirements into context and consult the client on the various options while explaining the risks’.
‘Fenna van Dijk is very hands on and has a sharp eye on practical solutions for difficult problems’.
‘They are very approachable, and their responses are always quick and to the point’.
Arts en Zorg
IXA (the joint TTO of Amsterdam University Medical Centre and University of Amsterdam)
Home Instead AG
- Avised GGD GHOR on the implementation of the nation-wide Covid-19 vaccination strategy.
- Assisted renowned vaccine institute Intravacc on its privatisation process and in cross-border negotiations on research co-operations regarding a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Advised the public healthcare organisation of the municipality of Amsterdam on all legal aspects of its public-private partnership in developing rapid tests for COVID-19 and the cooperation with the government (Department of Healthcare, Sport and Welfare).
Maverick Advocaten N.V. fields ‘a great team with good knowledge of the market’, and is well known for its competition, regulatory and litigation expertise. The practice is on familiar terms with the market authorities and helps a large number of healthcare providers with merger control processes. It also assists clients with litigation against the Dutch Healthcare Authority, often relating to tariff and enforcement decisions. Diederik Schrijvershof and Martijn van de Hel are key practitioners.
Other key lawyers:
Diederik Schrijvershof; Martijn van de Hel
‘The team is well informed, they have good file knowledge and are experts on procurement law’.
‘They work professionally, punctually and give dedicated advice’.
‘Good substantive advice, with strong communication skills’.
‘They have a result-oriented and pragmatic approach’.
‘Martijn van de Hel is a true strategic partner’.
‘Martijn van de Hel is approachable, gives hands-on advice and has a lot of adequate knowledge’.
‘Maverick thinks along about what is possible and not what is impossible and for that they really distinguish themselves from other law firms’.
‘Maverick combines legal expertise, a thorough understanding of business and markets, and valuable relationships with the relevant authorities to provide high-quality legal advice’.
De Nederlandse GGZ.
Gilde Healthcare Partners B.V.
- Assisting Erasmus MC to obtain second phase merger clearance from the Dutch Competition Authority (ACM) in the proposed merger Erasmus MC/IJsselland.
- Assisting Mediq, a leading international supplier of medical products and healthcare solutions and part of Advent, to obtain second phase merger clearance from the ACM for the acquisition of Eurocept.
- Obtaining with summary proceedings against the NZa a victory for seven large mental healthcare providers to obtain cost covering funding for acute mental healthcare and winning the subsequent appeal proceedings at the NZa initiated by the healthcare insurance companies.
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV has a strong focus on acting for government clients involved in contentious matters, and also counts insurance companies and healthcare providers among its clientele. Elisabeth Pietermaat is a name to note for regulatory matters, financing and litigation, while Wemmeke Wisman handles disputes involving public, liability and contract law. Cees de Zeeuw is a corporate law specialist and civil-law notary, who advises clients in the private and public sectors. Marije Batting and Karlijn Teuben are other key practitioners.
Elisabeth Pietermaat; Marije Batting; Karlijn Teuben; Wemmeke Wisman; Cees de Zeeuw
‘Pels Rijcken is highly specialised in issues regarding the government, including in issues on healthcare and life sciences’.
‘The team has an excellent understanding of the attitude that is needed when you’re a lawyer or barrister acting on behalf of the Government’.
Nederlandse Zorgautoriteit (NZa) (Dutch Healthcare Authority)
IGJ (Dutch Health and Youth Care Inspectorate)
Zorgverzekeraars Nederland (Healthcare Insurers Netherlands)
Zorginstituut Nederland (Healthcare Institute Netherlands)
The State of the Netherlands (Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport)
The State of the Netherlands (Ministry of Defence)
CBG (Medicine Evaluation Board)
- Acting for the Nederlandse Zorgautoriteit (NZa) (Dutch Healthcare Authority) in a dispute over the reimbursement of non-contractual care.
- Assisting the Minister for Minister of Health, Welfare and Sport in appeal proceedings before the Administrative Jurisdiction Division of the Council of State against the receivers in the bankruptcy of MC IJsselmeerziekenhuizen B.V.
- Representing SDKB in civil proceedings initiated by a number of donor children to obtain the information of their (anonymous) sperm donors.