Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP is singled out for its corporate and IP skills, which it applies to the life sciences, biotech, medical devices and medtech sectors. The team advises on licensing issues and collaborations, regulations, capital markets and finance work, and data protection matters. Christiaan De Brauw is well regarded for his ability to steer life sciences clients through corporate transactions, and Frits Gerritzen, who is head of the IP team, advises on R&D agreements and technical collaborations as part of his broader expertise. The practice is further enhanced by its geographical reach.
Frits Gerritzen; Christiaan De Brauw
‘Excellent corporate advice, not only experienced in the corporate legal side of things, but also with strong industry knowledge. An eager IP team provide solid advice in a flexible and creative manner.’
‘Christiaan de Brauw is an authority in the public corporate/M&A area and combines this with a sound knowledge about and interest in the life sciences sector.’
‘I find it difficult to single out team members. It was the team leader Christiaan de Braauw who was at the start of it, steered the team, and was always available and approachable. I was lucky to fall in the hands of the best team in town.’
‘Aziz Bouhbouh is a senior associate who is always available to provide solid and pragmatic advice.’
‘Highly responsive, great expertise and very knowledgeable’.
‘Very client orientated, they understand the needs and demands. Great strategic advisors’.
Janssen Pharmaceutica (part of Johnson &Johnson)
Life Sciences Partners Management Group
MyTomorrows (Inpatients N.V.)
Cilag GmbH International
Royal DSM (KoninklijkeDSM N.V)
- Advised Janssen Pharmaceutica on a host of legal issues ranging from IP work to employment and energy contracting matters.
- Advising long-standing client Life Sciences Partners on the structuring of its third, fourth and fifth closing of LSP 6 Fund in the life sciences sector and advising it on applying for an EuVECA registration and admission of institutional investors into this fund. Also advised on the structuring and implementation of a co-investment vehicle with EIF and on the restructuring of its fund structure with the aim to apply for a licence under AIFMD.
- Advising Pfizer on enforcing its second medical use patent for its blockbuster, Lyrica (pregabalin), against Actavis and a large number of generic companies in the UK, France and Germany.
The 'very strong, knowledgeable team' at Hogan Lovells International LLP 'really understands the industry'. Led by the highly regarded Hein Van den Bos and Bert Oosting, the practice has knowledge of all the regulatory regimes relevant to pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and medical device products in addition to providing a range of IP and commercialisation expertise; it also advises on the use of personal data in the healthcare sector. Other key team members include Klaas Bisschop, who focuses on patents; and IP specialist Samantha Brinkhuis, who joined the team from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek. Ruth Franken has left the practice for an in-house role.
Hein Van den Bos; Bert Oosting
‘Very strong, knowledgeable and experienced team. Hands-on mentality and practical advice.’
‘Hein van den Bos asks the right questions to get the core of an issue and subsequently provides practical advice. Team members are very nice people to work with and are responsive and really understand the industry. The international presence and in-house knowledge is very good.’
‘Hein van den Bos is a very nice lawyer to work with, he is very friendly, always asks the rights questions, provides practical advice and he is very experienced and understands the industry.’
‘Petra van den Boer is a very good associate.’
Houthoff provides a broad range of services to its clients in the healthcare, pharmaceuticals and insurance industries. It handles commercial and corporate transactions including many of the biggest hospital mergers, and assists with regulatory, competition and IP matters. The group is also increasingly advising on data privacy mandates and handling issues relating to the distribution of medicines by online pharmacies. Competition specialist Weyer VerLoren van Themaat is chair of the healthcare practice group and counsel Freeke Heijne has expertise in regulatory regimes.
Weyer VerLoren van Themaat
Amsterdam UMC Hospital
Erasmus MC (academic hospital)
LUMC (academic hospital)
NVZ Verenigingvoor Ziekenhuizen
Leger des Heils(Salvation Army)
Thermo FisherScientific B.V.
- Advised Flevoziekenhuis on the acquisition of a portion of the MC IJsselmeerziekenhuizen (MC Zuiderzee), which was declared bankrupt in 2018.
- Acting for Radboud UMC Hospital and its insurer Achmea in a landmark case concerning the ultimate liability of medical practitioners and hospitals for the use of medical implants, which were shown to be defective after the fact.
The healthcare and life sciences teams at Loyens & Loeff provide a range of corporate and M&A, competition and tax advice, and assist pharmaceuticals companies with issues pertaining to the importation, packaging and marketing of medication throughout the EU. The group is also a partner with Health Holland, a platform for start-ups in the bio, healthcare and life sciences sectors. Tom van Helmond's expertise spans regulatory, litigation and competition work in the healthcare sector, and Kim Lucassen, who heads up the life sciences team, advises on regulatory, contractual and data protection matters. Frank Leijdesdorff undertakes a range of corporate and M&A work in the healthcare sphere.
Tom van Helmond; Kim Lucassen; Frank Leijdesdorff
‘Tom van Helmond is involved and is able to steer issues in the right direction. Good results.’
Zilveren Kruis Zorgverzekeringen N.V
Pharming Group N.V.
Becton Dickson and Company
Active Capital company Cleanlease
Investipharm Belgium NV
- Advised Zilveren Kruis on the bankruptcy of two Dutch hospitals (MC Slotervaart and MC IJsselmeerziekenhuizen).
- Advised Orpea Groupe, a leading European operator in dependency care, on the acquisition of September Holding and Allerzorg Beheer.
- Assisting a leading company in the field of pharmaceuticals and biotechnology on issues relating to the legal framework for genetically modified organisms in the Netherlands.
The NautaDutilh team assists clients ranging from start-ups to market leaders and investors on a variety of corporate and M&A transactions. Ruud Smits handles work for pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and medical devices clients; in a recent highlight, he advised Johnson & Johnson on its acquisition of Innovalens. On the IP front, Anne Marie Verschuur counts GlaxoSmithKline among her clients, and Stijn Franken advises on insurance and reinsurance issues, regulatory law and product liability cases.
Ruud Smits; Anne Marie Verschuur
‘They are expert in M&A management.’
‘Wijnand Bossenbroek, manages his team excellently. They always react fast and with excellent quality.’
Johnson & Johnson
DSM Sinochem Pharmaceuticals
Levine Leichtman Capital
- Assisted Mylan with its merger with Pfizer’s spin-off Upjohn.
- Acted for Eli Lilly in several product liability claims regarding an alleged side effect of one of its medications.
- Advised Arvelle Therapeutics on its acquisition of the exclusive rights to develop and commercialise an anti-epileptic drug in Europe.
Axon Lawyers is a life sciences and regulatory specialist firm based in Amsterdam, which provides end-to-end assistance to pharmaceuticals, medical device, biotech and food companies. Team head Carine van den Brink, who has a medical background, advises biotech and technology clients on IP, R&D, licensing and corporate law. Karin Verzijden and Erik Vollebregt are other names to note; Vollebregt is singled out for his expertise in the medical device field.
Carine van den Brink
BarentsKrans is praised as having 'unmatched qualifications and expertise' in the healthcare and life sciences sectors by bringing together commercial, regulatory and IP skills. The 'creative' and 'commercial' Marleen van den Horst is especially noted for her extensive, sector-focused patent, regulatory and product liability expertise, while Jaap Bremer is also noted for his blend of IP and IT knowledge. The group's work includes advising on clinical trials and the bolar exemption, acting in product liability cases for human and veterinary products, and handling advertising matters.
Marleen van den Horst
‘They are always eager to help, understand business and have exceptional knowledge of pharmaceuticals either legal or IP or regulatory aspects.’
‘They have unmatched qualifications and expertise, very proactive and keeps us updated on the case without delay.’
‘The team is very approachable and friendly. The advice is always carefully thought through and thorough. There is a depth of regulatory knowledge and experience that is unmatched at other Dutch firms.’
‘Marleen van den Horst is highly experienced and always gets to the bottom of legal problems, whilst keeping the client’s commercial goals uppermost in her mind. Her colleague Jaap Bremer is also a thorough lawyer with a pragmatic approach.’
‘They have in-depth understanding of all the different aspects of the healthcare and life sciences industry focus. This is a rare quality in particular in The Netherlands. And they have this combined knowledge in a condensed team. You do not have to jump from one team member to another; each team member has this quality.’
‘Marleen vd Horst is an absolute power woman; she is very creative and thinks various steps ahead. Not unimportant, Marleen automatically goes the extra two or three miles, which, in my experience, are always relevant and decisive. Marleen’s years of experience in the generic pharmaceutical field is recognized as a valuable asset not only by the generics but more and more also by the innovators in the pharmaceutical field.
‘BarentsKrans regulatory affairs competence is extremely helpful under all aspects of this area, providing – for example – legal support in disputes with authorities and competitors, reimbursement issues and patent (SPC) related questions. The energetic Marleen van den Horst teams perfectly with the more restrained Jaap Bremer.’
Neo Kidney Foundation and Dutch Kidney Foundation
AET (Alfred E.Tiefenbacher)
Focus Care Pharmaceuticals
Stada / Centrafarm
- Advised Haaglanden Medisch Centrum on a range of matters including the formation of a joint venture for the endometriose expert centre.
- Advised the NeoKidney Foundation and Dutch Kidney Foundation on the development and manufacture of a portable artificial kidney medical device; advising on patent matters, licensing issues and other agreements including joint development agreements with its Swiss and Singapore counterparts.
- Assisted Mylan with many patent matters and provided advice on regulatory issues, tender procedures, product launch preparations and contractual work.
Marc van Wijngaarden and Michiel Wurfbain jointly head up the Bird & Bird practice, which provides European-wide expertise to major pharmaceuticals and biotech clients in the life sciences sector. The group's expertise is concentrated on patent work, where it handles complex, cross-jurisdictional disputes, regulatory matters and commercial transactions. The team also takes a full-service approach, which includes EU and competition, tax and employment work. IP specialist Armand Killan counts Allergan, Nestlé, Oculentis and ConvaTec among his clients, and Wouter Pors is noted for his IP and regulatory expertise.
Marc van Wijngaarden; Michiel Wurfbain
B Braun Melsungen
Bilthoven Biologicals/Serum Institute of India
Stichting Katholieke Universiteit (comprising Radboud University and
Radboud University Medical Hospital)
- Acted for Ablynx (now part of Sanofi) in a case against Unilever and VHsquared concerning patents for camelid antibodies. The issue concerned the boundary between medicinal products and functional foods, with a further implication relating to whether functional foods with therapeutic effect on pathogens can be marketed without clinical trials and marketing authorisation.
- Advised biopharmaceuticals company Kiadis Pharma on the acquisition of US-based early stage biotech company CytoSen Technologies in an all share deal valued at €80m.
- Representing Swiss Pharma International in a patent revocation action against Biogen’s patent on a monoclonal antibody (Natalizumab) for treating MS.
The team at CMS provides its life sciences and healthcare clients with assistance on all aspects of their businesses ranging from IP, regulatory and commercial issues to product liability, data privacy and competition work. The group's expertise encompasses pharmaceuticals, medical devices and health and agricultural products; its work also includes advising on R&D projects, big data issues and pricing matters. Group head Ellen Gielen and Gertie Lintjens are praised for being able to 'navigate some complicated challenges in a clear and practical way', and Rogier de Vrey adds a wealth of IP experience.
‘Ellen Gielen is very focused and delivers practical advise moving our business forward. Has a thorough understanding of the health sector.’
‘Speedy responses and practical advice in pharma and corporate law matters.’
‘Ellen Gielen and Gertie Lintjens have helped us navigate some complicated challenges in a clear and practical way.’
‘Bob van Zijl delivers quick and accurate corporate support when needed.’
BioMethanol Chemie Nederland
Johnson & Johnson
- Supporting Beckman Coulter Diagnostics in commercialising its in vitro diagnostic products, which contain narcotics and other psychotropic substances, including handling strict permitting issues.
- Advising Medtronic on digital and online business issues.
- Acting for Johnson & Johnson against Chinese medical device company Fengh Medical, which has infringing imitation products in various EU countries and the Middle East.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER
The HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER team is singled out for its IP excellence with particular experience in contentious cases. Simon Dack leads the life sciences practice and Carla Schoonderbeek focuses on the regulatory side. Willem Hoyng undertakes IP litigation, taking cases up to the Supreme Court and European Court of Justice, and Theo Blomme is also a noted litigator in the IP and life sciences fields. The practice counts well-known, global pharmaceuticals companies including Abbott, Abbvie, Boehringer Ingelheim, Mundipharma and Pfizer among its clients, and its expertise extends to the biotech field and also includes advertising issues.
Bart van den Broek; Willem Hoyng; Theo Blomme
- Acted for AstraZeneca against Resolution. The team was successful in the final instance in relation to AstraZeneca’s blockbuster drug Crestor (Rosuvastatin), one of the highest turnover drugs in the world.
- Defended UCB’s patent and SPC for the blockbuster drug Vimpat, a groundbreaking anti-epilepsy drug, against an invalidity suit brought by Accord.
- Represented Abbott in litigation against various Holland Trading Group companies relating to its trade in US counterfeit packaged Abbott diabetes test strips. Abbott obtained an EU-wide trade mark injunction as well as seizure and discovery of documents.
Simmons & Simmons fields 'excellent lawyers capable of providing high-quality legal services' as part of a well-established life sciences and healthcare practice. With the ability to 'provide effective solutions', Machteld Hiemstra has extensive expertise, which spans regulatory and commercial work including product liability matters and litigation. Bas Berghuis van Woortman, who is head of IP, handles patent litigation relating to antibody technology and small molecules, and Mattie De Koning is a patent litigator who has a chemical technology background. The group also advises on commercial transactions and competition issues in the medicine, medical devices and food supplement arenas.
‘A team of excellent lawyers capable of providing high quality legal services across Europe, at a sustainable cost.’
‘Chantal Morel is an excellent lawyer, who combines a deep understanding of the legal and regulatory framework with the amazing capability to understand even the most sophisticated scientific aspects of the business, thanks to her curiosity and agile intellect.’
‘Machteld Hiemstra is a solution oriented and pragmatic lawyer who provides effective solutions and is capable of working in perfect integration with the in-house team.’
Netherlands Cancer Institute
Kiadis Pharma N.V.
Medicxi (previously Index Ventures)
- Representing Serenity Pharmaceuticals in the Court of Appeal and at the European Patent Office in proceedings relating to inventorship and ownership, as well as claims relating to the validity and infringement of patent rights relating to Desmopressin.
- Representing GlaxoSmithKline in a number of cases in civil proceedings and regulatory affairs.
- Advising Alnylam on its newly authorised and launched novel RNAi-based product, Onpattro, including obtaining a reimbursement status under the Dutch health care system, regulatory advice and negotiations with Dutch Health Care Insurances.
The Stibbe practice provides a wide range of expertise to health sector clients including hospitals, academic hospitals and the care home industry. In the life sciences sector, the group has extensive expertise including ICT, data protection, regulatory and IP skills together with pricing, reimbursement and clinical trial knowledge. Judica Krikke heads up the practice, and newly promoted partner Floris ten Have brings competition experience to the team.
Air Liquide Healtcare
Canon Medical Systems
KLM Health Services
Leading Dutch academic medical centres (Erasmus MC,
UMC Groningen, Radboud MC, VUmc and AMC)
- Acted for four academic medical centres (Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, University Medical Center Groningen, VU Medical Center, and Academic Medical Center Amsterdam) in a major software licence dispute with software supplier Micro Focus Corp.
- Advised Noordwest Ziekenhuisgroep on a tender for key IT services. In addition, successfully resolved a transition dispute against the previous supplier, which included an outage and discontinuation in patients’ care.
- Advising EssilorLuxottica on its intended public takeover of GrandVision.
Van Doorne fields a dedicated team of specialists who focus on the domestic and international life sciences and healthcare sectors, with notable expertise in IP, competition, regulatory, data protection and corporate and M&A issues. The practice advises on medicinal products, medical devices, digital healthcare technology, biotechnology, cosmetics and the rescue of financially distressed healthcare providers. Willemien Bischot focuses on all aspects of the healthcare sector including corporate transactions, funding and financing work and insurance matters. Dimitri van Hoewijk handles corporate, M&A and private equity matters and assists healthcare, life sciences and medical tech clients with acquisitions, joint ventures and contractual work. Cees Jan de Boer has a focus on competition issues.
Willemien Bischot; Dimitri van Hoewijk
‘s Heeren Loo
- Advised Ksyos (a leading Dutch digital healthcare provider) on its acquisition of the healthcare business of KPN.
- Advised Link Nederland on the continuation of its distribution agreement with Lima Corporate for hi-tech orthopaedic medical devices.
- Advised ‘s Heeren Loo, a provider of elderly and disabled care, operating on a national level. The competition law team was part of a cross-practice group advising on its acquisition of the specialised disabled care activities of Arduin.
Vondst Advocaten N.V
Specialist firm Vondst Advocaten N.V has a focus on IP and IT issues including advisory and contentious matters. The group has a noted track record in disputes in the pharmaceuticals and life sciences sector; it also advises on licensing and R&D mandates, and technology transfers in the domestic and wider markets. Otto Swens, Ricardo Dijkstra and Arvid van Oorschot collectively advise on all aspects of IP-related work including disputes and regulatory matters.
Otto Swens; Ricardo Dijkstra; Arvid van Oorschot
- Successfully represented Teva in regulatory proceedings relating to the data exclusivity period for Orion’s dexmedetomidine product.
- Representing Curium Pharma, the world’s leading provider of nuclear medicine, in a dispute with one of its suppliers.
- Representing Vaselife in various regulatory proceedings before the administrative body concerning parallel trade permits for growth stimulators.
Brinkhof fields a notable IP practice, which advises clients in the life sciences and healthcare sectors and handles key disputes involving blockbuster drugs and biotech cases at the European and international level. In a key highlight, the team is acting for Sandoz, a division of Novartis and global leader in generic pharmaceuticals and biosimilar products, in a range of patent disputes including a Supreme Court case against Bayer relating to the infringement by equivalence for pharmaceuticals. Richard Ebbink, Mark Van Gardingen and Daan De Lange are the key names to note.
The 'supportive and strategically savvy team' at De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek is singled out for its patent protection and litigation offering to its life sciences clients, which is combined with expertise in corporate and M&A, regulatory and competition mandates. 'Master strategist' Gertjan Kuipers has a wealth of experience in patent and biosciences litigation; Tobias Cohen Jehoram is an experienced IP litigator, and Reinier Kleipool handles corporate, M&A and governance work, often with cross-border aspects. The 'bright and analytical' Oscar Lamme is also singled out for his patent litigation knowledge.
Gertjan Kuipers; Tobias Cohen Jehoram; Reinier Kleipool
‘Gertjan Kuipers and his team have a long and excellent track record in dealing with patent and regulatory matters in the life sciences sector (and outside).’
‘Gertjan is a master strategist who doesn’t lose sight of the details.’
‘I would very happily instruct Gertjan and Oscar. Both are extremely knowledgeable, clever litigators and have shown great commitment to delivering a positive result for our clients. I have been especially impressed by their attention to detail and willingness and ability to get stuck into the technical (scientific) details of the cases.’
‘Well-organised, low-level entry, flat organization, also for non-legal clients and experts.’
‘Advocate Gertjan Kuijpers also holds a technical degree. He quickly understands and analyses technology and is very active in the development of technical arguments in support of the case, and appreciates possible weaknesses. Hence, hands-on and dedicated.’
‘The team has excellent experience in pharma/biotech patent litigation. Benefiting from strength in depth, they are a supportive and strategically savvy team offering timely and well thought through advice.’
‘Gertjan Kuijpers is an impressive advocate with a powerful presence in court. On top of that he is helpful, thoughtful and generally good guy to have on your side!’
‘Oscar Lamme is also recommended. Still quite a junior partner, but has a very mature, sensible and knowledgeable approach.’
‘The Patent Litigation group at De Brauw is first class. The team is responsive, engaged and a pleasure to work with. They have a depth of litigation experience in the life sciences / healthcare sector and I have worked with them on cases in this sector on a number of occasions over the last few years, including high-profile biosimilar-related patent litigation.’
‘Gertjan Kuipers – I have worked with Gertjan on a number of patent litigation matters for life science companies over the last few years. He is a pleasure to work with – bright, responsive and commercial. He has an eye for detail but never loses sight of the bigger picture.’
‘Oscar Lamme is an impressive senior associate – bright, analytical and a pleasure to work with.’
‘The individual I work with is Gertjan Kuipers, a stellar litigator, a stellar strategist who I would not replace with anyone else when it concerns European IP litigation in the field of life sciences.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Synthon Holding B.V.
- Represented GSK in two Dutch actions in a multi-jurisdictional patent dispute in which MSD claimed the invalidity of two patents held by GSK. The patents relate to an innovative method for producing pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccines for two serotypes of the S pneumoniae bacteria.
- Representing Bayer Pharma in litigation against the receiver of Leadd in a dispute relating to the performance and termination of a collaboration agreement relating to developing a tumour specific cancer medicine.
- Advised Pfizer on the spin-off of Upjohn and its merger with Dutch pharmaceuticals company, Mylan.
The team at DLA Piper provides a blend of IP, regulatory, corporate and tax advice, and can leverage the firm's global network of lawyers and patent attorneys. European patent attorney and group co-head Johan Renes advises clients ranging from start-ups to big pharmaceuticals companies; and fellow co-head Paul Reeskamp has a focus on patent and other IP disputes. Henk Arnold Sijnja joined the team from Baker McKenzie in 2019 and brings considerable experience advising life sciences businesses, biotech companies and investors on transactional work.
Johan Renes; Paul Reeskamp
MBH International A/S
Exponential Biotherapies Inc.
Amsterdam Medical Centre
- Represented Fresenius Kabi in a high-profile pemetrexed patent litigation case against Eli Lilly concerning the latter’s Alimta drug.
- Acted for Merus before the District Court in The Hague in regular court proceedings and numerous opposition proceedings against Regeneron regarding transgenic mice generating human antibodies.
- Acting for MBH International and its Dutch distributor Medical4You against Coloplast in the Supreme Court in a case regarding urinary catheters.
At Kennedy Van der Laan, Fenna van Dijk assists healthcare clients with corporate matters, and IP specialist Maarten Schut advises on a range of issues in the life sciences arena including R&D collaborations, licensing work and the protection of trade secrets. The team also acts for its healthcare clients on mergers, the establishment of joint ventures, medical liability cases, disciplinary actions and data protection mandates.
Fenna van Dijk; Maarten Schut
Arts en Zorg
Cantel Medical /Medivators
IXA (TTO of VU University andVUmc)
- Assisted Gezond.nl with the transfer of its participation in Zorgapotheek Nederland and the set-up of a new joint venture with Medsen.
- Advising Mentaal Beter Cure BV on the acquisition of a mental healthcare provider in the Netherlands.
- Advising Arts en Zorg and its group companies on the development of innovative e-health and m-health solutions, contracting work, acquisitions, corporate and healthcare governance issues, public procurement matters and litigation.
Maverick Advocaten N.V. has a notable track record in the healthcare sector and assists clients including hospitals and pharmaceuticals companies with complex transactions and collaborations, administrative proceedings and regulatory regimes. The team also has expertise in competition rules within the sector and handles merger proceedings before the Netherlands Authority for Consumers & Markets; Diederik Schrijvershof and Martijn van de Hel are highly regarded experts in this area.
Diederik Schrijvershof; Martijn van de Hel
‘In depth knowledge, accuracy, creativity, easy accessible.’
‘Focused boutique firm with broad knowledge of the healthcare industry. Proactive and service minded.’
‘Martijn van de Hel is a responsive, practical and knowledgeable lawyer who is not afraid to take a stance.’
‘Diederik Schrijvershof is a smart lawyer who can act as a liaison towards authorities with seniority.’
‘Small, dedicated, focused, service oriented, experienced.’
‘First time right, total and pro-active support.’
‘Maverick is capable of providing excellent professional advice in a timely fashion, safeguarding our interests but also considering cost-effectiveness and practicability. The team is diverse and pleasant to work with.’
‘Martijn van de Hel is approachable and able to quickly place your request for advice in the right context. You can expect solid well-considered advice from him in a short time-frame.’
‘The partners Diederik Schrijvershof and Martijn van der Hel are very kind people who are modest and approachable. This makes them the perfect board room lawyer, because their knowledge of competition law is above any doubt.’
Zorg van de Zaak
Brocacef/Mediq (part of the Phoenix Group)
Association of GP Practitioners
Mediq and FHI
European Dental Group
- Assisted Equipe Zorgbedrijven with taking over orthopaedic care from MC Slotervaart. Successfully filed an exemption request for that purpose with the Dutch Healthcare Authority.
- Assisted academic hospitals Erasmus MC and LUMC with obtaining approval from the NZA and ACM for the acquisition of joint control over GenomeScan.
- Assisting Stichting Omring and Stichting Vrijwaard with obtaining approval from the NZA and ACM for their administrative merger.
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is recognised for its engagement by the Dutch government and its ability to 'deliver a multidisciplinary approach by combining the knowledge of the sector with expertise in other relevant areas of law'. In addition to state agencies, the group also counts healthcare insurance companies, healthcare providers and academic hospitals on its client roster, which it advises on data privacy issues, IT work and the use of digital platforms. Elisabeth Pietermaat is a prominent healthcare regulation expert and Marije Batting is valued for her understanding of the healthcare sector 'combined with her expertise in public law'. Other well regarded team members include litigators Karlijn Teuben and Wemmeke Wisman, and corporate specialist Cees de Zeeuw.
Elisabeth Pietermaat; Marije Batting; Karlijn Teuben; Wemmeke Wisman; Cees de Zeeuw
‘The health care team from Pels Rijcken is best to be described as dedicated, experienced and always available. The team knows exactly how to represent our organisation in court: they operate on a friendly base with respect for the other parties that are involved.’
‘I work a lot with Margriet Verduijn. One of her strengths is that she keeps calm under all circumstances. She’s also very cooperative and informs us in time of the relevant circumstances or steps that have to be taken in a case.’
‘The practice knows exactly what’s happening in the areas concerning our field of work, and know how to translate this in spot-on advice and representations.’
‘Margriet Verduijn stands out in correct, sympathetic and precise communication. She’s adapts easily to the communication which is required by the situation and is very authentic in being there for us when needed and meets our expectations in legal precision and meticulousness.’
‘Erik Pijnacker Hordijk has the senior authority and knows exactly how to act in court; never arrogant, always spot-on behaviour which is required in different circumstances, visibly appreciated by judges’.
‘Ms.Verduijn as well as Mr. Pijnacker Hordijk make me feel that our interests are very well served by their legal experience, outstanding knowledge and authoritative presentation.’
‘If needed, the team can deliver a multidisciplinary approach by combining the knowledge of the sector with expertise in other relevant areas of law. Furthermore, due to fixed contacts urgent issues can be addressed immediately if necessary.’
‘I have had the pleasure to work extensively with Mrs Wisman and Mrs De Vries. Both stand out in their ability to tackle the issue concerned in a short time. They are easily accessible, pragmatic, clear and deliver high-quality (and if needed customized) legal advice.’
‘The team is always ready to help and very easy to communicate with. They have in-depth knowledge about a large variety of subjects, are very professional and are pleasant people to work with. When they take up a case for you, you can be sure that you are in good hands.’
‘Marije Batting specialises in Healthcare. Combined with her expertise in public law, she makes a great lawyer for a broad spectrum of cases. She is sharp, hard working and thorough. I have no doubt she will do as much as she can to win a case for you.’
‘The Dutch central government only deals with PRDF who is thorough and has a wide experience and a good understanding of history.’
‘Mrs Marije Batting and Mr Derek Tersmette are both concerned and accessible lawyers. In a short time they can understand a specific and complex case. Mrs Batting puts the essence of the case pleasantly and well-presented at the front of a session.’
Nederlandse Zorgautoriteit (NZa)
IGJ (Dutch Health and Youth Care Inspectorate)
Zorgverzekeraars Nederland (Healthcare Insurers)
Zorginstituut Nederland(Healthcare Institute)
The State of the Netherlands (Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport)
CBG (Medicine Evaluation Board)
- Acted for the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport in a claim concerning a subsidy scheme of €26m for non-invasive prenatal testing.
- Defending the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport against claims for damages made by cardiologists of the Ruwaard van Putten Ziekenhuis, a large hospital in Spijkenisse.
- Acted for the Dutch Healthcare Authority in proceedings before the Dutch Trade and Industry Appeals Tribunal relating to €100m in funds, which the Dutch State made available for nursing home care in 2017.