Allen & Overy LLP has a range of expertise in the life sciences sector, including commercial transactions, IP, capital markets and finance, regulatory, data protection and dispute resolution. Its international network means the team is well positioned to handle multi-jurisdictional contentious matters, including cross-border patent litigation, and non-contentious matters, such as international M&A deals. The team is a popular choice for leading pharmaceutical, generics, biotech and medtech companies, as well as investors, universities and financial institutions. Frits Gerritzen is an experienced IP litigator and handles the enforcement and validity of IP rights. Christian de Brauw is the name to note for corporate transactions.
Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Frits Gerritzen; Christiaan de Brauw
Other key lawyers:
Ellen Cramer-de Jong; Sophie Roozendaal
‘The team is very involved, well aware of recent developments and pro-active in informing us’.
‘Their advice is fast and of a very high standard’.
‘They do not limit themselves to what they are asked to do, but think along with you’.
Janssen Pharmaceutica (part of Johnson & Johnson)
Life Sciences Partners Management Group
MyTomorrows (Impatients N.V.)
Cilag GmbH International
Royal DSM (Koninklijke DSM N.V.)
- Advising Johnson & Johnson on contracting matters around its development of a vaccine for Covid-19.
- Advising long-standing client Life Sciences Partners on a variety of matters relating to funds in the life sciences sector.
- Advising the boards of Kiadis Pharma on private placements with both a US healthcare investor and with life science partners.
As part of a ‘broad global network of good life sciences lawyers’, Hogan Lovells International LLP’s Amsterdam-based team handles both EU-wide regulatory work and Netherlands-focused work. Healthcare compliance, EU regulatory pathways and life cycle management are key areas of focus for the practice. The regulatory practice has ancillary support in a strong patents practice, which often coordinates multi-jurisdictional patent litigation. Bert Oosting focuses on regulatory exclusivity rights, biosimilar and generic approval pathways and market access and parallel trade; he jointly heads the team with Hein Van den Bos.
Hein van den Bos; Bert Oosting
Other key lawyers:
Klaas Bisschop; Ruud van der Velden
‘Practical and hands-on team with deep industry knowledge and individuals that are nice to work with’.
‘The team can coordinate and align work as a “one-stop-shop” for the entire EU and many countries outside the EU’.
‘Hein van den Bos knows the industry, is experienced and a very nice person to work with’.
‘Knowledgeable and experienced team, great cross-functional and international network’.
‘Hein van den Bos is very modest, very calm, professional and an important trusted advisor of our company’.
The dedicated healthcare and life sciences team at Loyens & Loeff provides ‘great expertise, with a business-oriented approach’. With additional offices in Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland, the firm is well placed to handle cross-border M&A, regulatory issues and tax matters in the healthcare and life sciences field. Its multidisciplinary approach includes expertise in competition law and governance with a focus on the healthcare industry. It often advises large manufacturers of pharmaceuticals on issues relating to import, packaging, release, and marketing medicines throughout the EU. Tom van Helmond, Kim Lucassen and Frank Leijdesdorff head the team.
Tom van Helmond; Kim Lucassen; Frank Leijdesdorff
Other key lawyers:
‘Great expertise, business-oriented approach, whilst focusing on the important legal matters’.
‘Availability, turn-around time and quality of work’.
‘High quality work’.
‘Frank Leijdesdorff is involved and efficient, provides clever and bespoke matter management and anticipates client’s needs’.
Zilveren Kruis Zorgverzekeringen N.V.
Pharming Group N.V.
Becton Dickson and Company
Jeroen Bosch Ziekenhuis
Active Capital company
- Advised Zorgverzekeraars Nederland (ZN), with respect to the provision of contributions to healthcare providers in order to ‘survive’ the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Assisting Unilabs, a Swiss-based diagnostic provider, on the contemplated acquisition of all assets and liabilities of Stichting Saltro (Saltro), including the shares in the capital of the two subsidiaries of Saltro: Saltro Diagnostic and Medical Services B.V. and GezondheidsLab B.V.
- Assisted Private Tracer Foundation (corona app) with various legal aspects including the incorporation of the foundation, intellectual property, data protection and privacy aspects of the developed contract tracing app, as well as regulatory aspects.
NautaDutilh’s fully integrated Benelux practice acts for large international pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical devices companies. With a focus on corporate, financing and regulatory matters, the firm also provides support in high-end IP and product liability litigation. Further areas of complementary support include competition law issues, advertising regulations, data protection, insurance policies and government affairs. Co-head of the life sciences, healthcare and technology team, Ruud Smits handles corporate M&A matters for a range of clients, from start-ups to market leaders. Anne Marie Verschuur jointly heads the team.
Ruud Smits; Anne Marie Verschuur
Other key lawyers:
Stijn Franken; Wijnand Bossenbroek; Antonia Netiv; Paul van der Bijl
Johnson & Johnson
DSM Sinochem Pharmaceuticals
Levine Leichtman Capital
- Advised long-standing client Mylan on its joint venture with Pfizer’s generics business Upjohn to continue jointly as Viatris.
- Assisting Getinge with its acquisition of Applikon Biotechnology B.V.
- Representing GlaxoSmithKline in its worldwide litigation against Sandoz regarding GSK’s SERETIDE product.
The multidisciplinary healthcare and life sciences industry group at BarentsKrans is highly regarded for contentious and non-contentious IP work, and also provides regulatory, corporate and commercial advice. On the contentious IP side, the firm conducts pharmaceutical patent, regulatory and product liability litigation and advises on related issues. Practice head Marleen Van Den Horst and Jaap Bremer are the key names.
Marleen van den Horst
Other key lawyers:
‘It’s great to work with lawyers who not only have top legal insight and knowledge, but also a genuinely commercial approach’.
‘A joy to work with on a personal level’.
‘Marleen van den Horst is incredibly well connected and respected, a skilful strategist and great person to work with’.
‘Jaap Bremer is a top quality advocate and legal practitioner, adept at rapidly getting to grips with complex technologies.‘
‘Compared to other firms, they have really in-depth knowledge of the field’.
‘Not only do they have the knowledge, but they can translate this is into honest, useful and creative solutions’.
‘They are very nice people to work with. Down to earth but professional’.
‘They are focused, responsive, incisive and top class’.
Insud Pharma (formerly Chemo Group)
NeoKidney Foundation and Dutch Kidney Foundation
AET (Alfred E. Tiefenbacher)
Focus Care Pharmaceuticals
Stada / Centrafarm
IIC (International Innovation Company recently renamed to Dutch Creative Brands)
Medisch Specialisten Collectief RdGG UA
- Advising Fortune 500 US-based Mylan on multiple product launches, representing Mylan in litigation re: tadalafil and preparing new litigation re: a generic ophthalmic pharmaceutical product.
- Acting as trusted counsel for HMC, the largest hospital in The Hague region, in all legal matters.
- Representing the Hungarian pharmaceutical company Pharma Patent in regulatory proceedings before the Dutch Medicines Evaluation Board regarding various duplex marketing authorisations.
An integral part of the firm's international life sciences group, Bird & Bird’s Dutch team is noted for its expertise in IP and patent litigation. It is also active in other areas including regulatory and transactional matters. Leaning on its global network for support, the firm is well placed to handle parallel litigation in multiple jurisdictions. Marc van Wijngaarden is active in the areas of pharmaceutical, biotech and medical devices. Michiel Wurfbain focuses on the corporate side of the practice, including cross-border M&A. Armand Killan is highly regarded for litigation in the space.
Marc van Wijngaarden; Michiel Wurfbain
Other key lawyers:
Armand Killan; Wouter Pors
‘Well-embedded in the international framework of the firm’.
‘Fairly large team, but not on par with the market leaders in this area’.
‘Armand Killan is very efficient’.
‘Marc van Wijngaarden is very nice and a pleasure to work with’.
B Braun Melsungen
Bilthoven Biologicals / Serum Institute of India
Stichting Katholieke Universiteit (comprising Radboud University and Radboud University Medical Hospital)
- Representing Ablynx, now part of Sanofi and the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Brussels Free University, VUB), in a case against Unilever, VHsquared, QVQ and other potential defendants.
- Avised Euronext Amsterdam and Euronext Brussels-listed biopharmaceutical company Kiadis Pharma on a €12m private placement with a US biotech investor.
- Exclusively coordinating all European employment work for Teva.
The life sciences and healthcare team at CMS has a broad range of expertise, including regulatory, IP, corporate M&A, technology and competition. Recognising the importance of digitalisation, the firm has developed E-Health by Design, a tool that assists clients with legal issues during the development of applications. Practice head Ellen Gielen acts for leading international companies on regulatory and compliance matters on a domestic and EU-level. Gertie Lintjens has in-depth knowledge of the pharmaceutical sector and is also a key name for medical devices.
Other key lawyers:
Gertie Lintjens; Rogier de Vrey
‘On time and clear communication, pragmatic approach, ’
‘Gertie Lintjes, is really great to work with, very approachable, pragmatic, high quality that is spot on even in complex situations. Very knowledgeable within medical devices industry.’
Johnson & Johnson
- Successfully represented Johnson & Johnson in a landmark case concerning medical devices against a Chinese medical device company Fengh Medical, that offered infringing imitation products in various EU countries and ME.
- Acted for Albert Heijn B.V in a successful court case in relation to the introduction of a new concept on the Dutch market named “Chemist at a Distance” (making use of a tablet).
- Advised Koninklijke Auping on its public-private partnership with the Dutch government and provided guidance in setting up the large-scale production for FFP2 facemask to fight the Covid-19 pandemic.
The healthcare practice group at Houthoff focuses on litigation and corporate matters. It draws on strength from its competition, regulatory, real estate, IP and employment groups to provide a full service advice on healthcare regulations. The firm also has deep experience in hospital mergers and, on the contentious side, it represents hospitals in disputes and litigation. Weyer VerLoren van Themaat is noted for competition law and economic public law with a focus on healthcare providers. Counsel Freeke Heijne is another key name.
Weyer VerLoren van Themaat; Freeke Heijne
Other key lawyers:
Huib Lebbing; Greetje van Heezik
‘The team is open and honest and work together’.
‘The most important quality is knowing how to influence people and Houthoff is good at building relationships’.
‘Intellectual capability is unparalleled, relationship focus is very good, broad perspective in thinking and acting, real part of the movement to create value in healthcare’.
‘Weijer Verloren van Themaat is a trusted partner for many leaders in the healthcare community’.
‘Weijer Verloren van Themaat is focused on creating real value in healthcare, knows when to give advice and when not to, and he is a real pleasure to work with’.
Thermo Fisher Scientific B.V.
Leger des Heils (Salvation Army)
First Dutch Innovations
- Successfully acted on behalf of Radboud UMC Hospital and its PI insurer Achmea in a landmark Supreme Court case concerning ultimate liability of medical practitioners and hospitals for the use of – belatedly revealed – defective medical implants by the hospital long after the liquidation of the actual manufacturer.
- Advised Bergman Clinics, the largest chain of private clinics in the Netherlands, on the Dutch regulatory aspects of its acquisition of Memira Eyecare Clinics, a leading chain of focus clinics for refractive eye care in Sweden, Norway and Denmark.
- Represented the Salvation Army in a dispute with a large Municipality in the Netherlands, which initiated a claim and reclaimed €1.3m from a specific healthcare work entity of the Salvation Army.
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER excels in IP law, focusing on patents and trade secrets, trade marks, copyrights and design rights. Other areas of focus include pharmaceutical regulatory law, unfair competition, media and advertising, and litigation. Carla Schoonderbeek, Willem Hoyng and Simon Dack are the names to note.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons is particularly experienced in contentious life sciences matters, advising and litigating in relation to patents, regulatory and product liability issues, advertising, data privacy and clinical trials. It also handles disputes, handling commercial litigation, mediation and international arbitration. Bas Berghuis van Woortman is the national head of IP in the Netherlands and specialises in patent litigation. Machteld Hiemstra leads the life sciences sector group and has considerable experience of regulatory and commercial matters in this space.
Bas Berghuis van Woortman; Machteld Hiemstra
Other key lawyers:
Netherlands Cancer Institute
Seattle Genetics Inc.
Medicxi (previously Index Ventures)
- Advising GSK on all day-to-day regulatory matters and on product advertising litigation and enforcement actions, in particular before the advertising code committee CGR against AstraZeneca.
- Acting for Gilead on patent protection extension proceedings before the administrative Supreme Court, the State Council (Raad van State) challenging the decision of the Dutch Patent Office related to a supplementary protection certificate for its HIV treatment Truvada.
- Representing Samsung Bioepis in clearing-the-way actions across Europe, resulting inter alia in the successful invalidation in the Netherlands of Gedeon Richter’s patent position as well as in a number of settlements that will remove any potential obstacles for the market launch of Bioepis’ products.
Van Doorne has considerable expertise in the healthcare sector and is expanding its presence in the life sciences industry, both domestically and internationally. The practice focuses on corporate and M&A matters, and also provides ancillary advice on regulatory, governance, data protection, competition and IT matters. Willemien Bischot counts large healthcare providers among her client base and is a respected boardroom adviser for a number of major hospitals in the Netherlands. Dimitri van Hoewijk is adept at handling corporate matters in the life sciences sector. Counsel Cees Jan de Boer is another name to note.
Willemien Bischot; Dimitri van Hoewijk; Cees Jan de Boer
Other key lawyers:
‘Louis Jonker has consistently showed deep domain knowledge’.
‘They are ahead of the curve, and think along with the client’.
NKI – AVL
‘s Heeren Loo
- Advising on the merger of Amsterdam Medical Centre / VU Medical Centre: the largest hospital merger in The Netherlands to date.
- Advising Erasmus Medical Centre, Erasmus University, and Delft University on intensifying their convergence in a number of challenging and complex areas (such as climate change, sustainability of healthcare, artificial intelligence, data and digitalisation).
- Advised French listed elderly care provider Orpea on the acquisition of Compartijn Care, a Dutch elderly care provider.
Boutique firm Vondst Advocaten N.V handles a broad range of contentious and non-contentious IP and IT issues in the healthcare and life sciences sectors. With a focus on litigation, the firm continues to see an uptick in instructions from major pharmaceutical companies. It advises on domestic and cross-border mandates, and is deeply experienced in patent disputes. Otto Swens handles patent cases and regulatory issues; he heads the practice alongside Ricardo Dijkstra and Arvid van Oorschot.
Otto Swens; Ricardo Dijkstra; Arvid van Oorschot
‘Vondst Advocaten has a team of very dedicated lawyers going all out for their clients’.
‘They combine a strong focus on intellectual property rights with understanding of the market and expertise in the field of regulatory issues’.
‘Both Otto Swens and Ricardo Dijkstra are able to involve external lawyers in such a way that the client is served in the best possible way’.
‘Very good sector focus, the really understand the life sciences market and the players within the market’.
‘Otto Swens is very knowledgeable and experienced’.
‘Ricardo Dijkstra is very responsive’.
‘Vondst is extraordinarily experienced in pharmaceutical patent litigation, and seems to be involved in most patent litigation matters in this sector’.
‘The team of three dedicated patent litigation partners and a host of very strong of associates handle an incredible amount of work for us’.
- Successfully represented Teva in regulatory proceedings relating to the data exclusivity period for Orion’s dexmedetomidine product.
- Representing Mylan in regulatory proceedings relating to the data exclusivity period for Sanofi Aventis’ teriflunomide product.
- Representing Curium Pharma in a dispute with one of its suppliers.
AKD has noted expertise in regulatory and compliance matters in the healthcare sector. It is experienced in handling contentious matters and disputes against government authorities and health insurers. Other areas of focus include product liability issues and recalls, advertising, IP and competition matters. Klaas Meersma, Joris Rijken and Barbara Mutsaers are the practice heads.
Klaas Meersma; Joris Rijken; Barbara Mutsaers
Stichting Zuyderland Medisch Centrum
Prinses Máxima Centrum voor Kinderoncologie B.V.
Open MRI Zen
Stichting Mosae Zorggroep
Vereniging Medische Staf Laurentius Ziekenhuis
Alliance Healthcare Nederland B.V.
Biomet 3i Netherlands B.V./Zimmer Dental Inc.
Vaxxinova International B.V.
Dutch Association for Care of the Disabled
Dutch Association of Mental Health and Addiction Care
Het Van Weel-Bethesda Ziekenhuis
- Advising Stichting Reinier Haga Groep on mergers and de-mergers.
- Acted for six youth care providers in interim relief proceedings against approximately 25 municipalities in the province of Limburg, which threatened to reduce their rates for youth care.
- Advising Belgium-based Open MRI Zen on establishing a franchise in the Netherlands.
De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek is highly regarded for high-end disputes, transactions and regulatory enforcement matters in the life sciences sector. Although it has a strong focus on patents and IP litigation more generally, the firm also advises on regulatory matters, pharmaceutical advertising, and food and health issues. It is experienced in handling cases at all levels, including at the Supreme Court and before the European Patent Office. Gertjan Kuipers, Tobias Cohen Jehoram and Reinier Kleipool are the practice heads. Counsel Oscar Lamme is another name to note.
Gertjan Kuipers; Tobias Cohen Jehoram; Reinier Kleipool
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is unique in combining legal and technical thinking when developing strategies and arguments’.
‘The leading partner holds university degrees in law but also in physical chemistry, a combination seldom seen for lawyers’.
‘Gertjan Kuipers is an excellent patent litigator’.
‘Strong Dutch full service firm with the patent department also having a focus on Life Sciences’.
‘Gertjan Kuipers is excellent and has been for years’.
‘This team is unique in their extraordinary ability to learn the subject matter in a very short time, applying it in court and turn it into victory’.
‘They are a pleasure to work with both on a professional and a personal level’.
Synthon Holding B.V.
- Advised Pfizer on the spin-off of Upjohn and its merger with Dutch incorporated Mylan.
- Successfully representing pharmaceutical multinational Eli Lilly in high-stakes Dutch Supreme Court patent proceedings against Fresenius Kabi.
- Successfully defended Zimmer Biomet in a series of litigations in the Dutch arm of its long-term dispute on the alleged misappropriation of trade secrets, relating to the recipe of a bone cement.
DLA Piper advises biopharmaceutical, medical device, research and diagnostics clients on regulatory, commercial, corporate and enforcement matters. Paul Reeskamp heads the patents team which sits within the IP and technology practice group; he is adept at handling cross-border patent disputes. Henk Arnold Sijnja acts for pharmaceutical companies, healthcare investment firms and biotech companies on corporate transactional matters.
Paul Reeskamp; Henk Arnold Sijnja
Advanced Accelerator Applications(AAA)
- Successfully representing Fresenius Kabi against Eli Lilly in relation to alleged patent infringement concerning Lilly’s blockbuster drug Alimta®.
- Advising Omron on its data flows, the risk assessments and the DPIAs of its medical devices to make them compliant with the applicable privacy and e-commerce regulations.
- Representing Sakata in a multi-jurisdictional bio tech dispute concerning plant variety infringement of vegetables, extending to the European Union, Africa and Asia.
Kennedy Van der Laan
Kennedy Van der Laan is best known for providing corporate advice to healthcare clients, with deep expertise in collaborations, M&A, and joint ventures. Fenna van Dijk heads the healthcare team and has considerable experience as a corporate lawyer. IP expert Maarten Schut focuses on life sciences, advanced technologies and trade marks; he is an experienced litigator.
Fenna van Dijk; Maarten Schut
Other key lawyers:
Sophie van Loon
‘The lawyers are very well informed about developments in healthcare’.
‘What’s very nice is that the lawyers are very accessible’.
‘They are very clear in their explanation. no complicated legal language’
Arts en Zorg
Cantel Medical / Medivators
Kenniscentrum Palliatieve Zorg
IXA (TTO of VU University and VUmc)
- Successfully defending GGD Amsterdam against the claim by U-Diagnostics it was unlawfully withheld from providing Covid-19 testing in the Netherlands.
- Assisting multinational feed company Nutreco, which regularly invests in and/or cooperates with innovative science-driven companies who are on the cutting edge of feed and food innovations, in designing and negotiating the relevant cooperation and license agreements.
- Acting as sole legal counsel to Arts en Zorg and continue to advise it (and its group companies) on the development of innovative e-health/m-health solutions, contracting, acquisitions, corporate and healthcare governance, public procurement and litigation.
Maverick Advocaten N.V. focuses on competition and regulation in the healthcare sector. The firm handles high-end merger proceedings, litigation for healthcare providers in administrative proceedings, and also litigation relating to civil and arbitration proceedings against health purchasers, such as insurers and government bodies. Diederik Schrijvershof and Martijn van de Hel are key names to note.
Diederik Schrijvershof; Martijn van de Hel
‘The team proved to have a very good understanding and knowledge of the subject at hand’.
‘They helped us in focussing on the relevant issues at hand, and helped to select relevant evidence’.
‘Working together we were able to put together a thorough and thoughtful plea’.
‘Martijn van de Hel is an inspiring person to work with.
‘Martijn van de Hel has a good ear for what might be relevant, and is a quick thinker’.
‘The lawyers of Maverick are competent and very involved with their client and the case’.
‘They work as if they are your colleagues’.
‘Maverick showed they are capable of a quick assessment of the situation, they know which questions to ask and adjust to the wishes of the client’.
Zorg van de Zaak
European Dental Group
De Nederlandse GGZ
Nederlandse Tandartsen Coöperatie
- Successfully represented multiple forensic care providers in preliminary relief proceedings against the Dutch State, more specifically Dienst Justitiële Inrichtingen (Custodial Institutions Agency – “DJI”).
- Successfully assisted Stichting Omring and Stichting Vrijwaard (elderly care providers) in obtaining approval from NZa and ACM for their merger.
- Currently assisting two large hospitals in the Rotterdam region (Erasmus MC and IJsselland Hospital) with their merger procedure at the NZa and ACM.
As a trusted partner for healthcare matters for the Dutch government, Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV acts for a number of government ministries, and also counts insurance companies and healthcare providers among its client base. The firm has deep experience in litigation and also handles general advisory and transactional matters. The team is headed by Elisabeth Pietermaat, Marije Batting, Karlijn Teuben, Wemmeke Wisman and Cees de Zeeuw.
Elisabeth Pietermaat; Marije Batting; Karlijn Teuben; Wemmeke Wisman; Cees de Zeeuw
‘The team is capable of acquiring the necessary knowledge within a short period of time by combining the existing knowledge of different members in the team’.
‘Wemmeke Wisman is very pleasant in the way she communicates, she has thorough knowledge about the case concerned, but doesn’t lose sight on the bigger picture of it’.
Wemmeke Wisman’s analyses are sharp and a perfect combination of the relevant legal and political aspects’.
‘The practice has a broad and deep understanding and experience with the central government and our way of thinking’.
‘They are sharp debaters and quick minds, they understand our needs and cut to the chase’.
‘The team is very professional and committed’.
‘It surprises me every time how quickly they comprehend the cases we present and place the legal problem in the right context’.
‘The legal knowledge is outstanding and so is the service provided’.
Nederlandse Zorgautoriteit (Dutch Healthcare Authority – NZa)
IGJ (Dutch Health and Youth Care Inspectorate)
Zorgverzekeraars Nederland (Healthcare Insurers Netherlands)
Zorginstituut Nederland (Healthcare Institute Netherlands)
The State of the Netherlands (Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport)
The State of the Netherlands (Ministry of Defence)
CBG (Medicine Evaluation Board)
- Acting for the Dutch Healthcare Authority (NZa) in a dispute over the reimbursement of non-contractual care.
- Assisting the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport in appeal proceedings before the Administrative Jurisdiction Division of the Council of State against the receivers in the bankruptcy of MC IJsselmeerziekenhuizen B.V.
- Representing Stichting Donorgegevens Kunstmatige Bevruchting (Foundation Donor Data Artificial Insemination) in civil proceedings initiated by a number of donor children to obtain the information of their (anonymous) sperm donors.