As ‘one of the best teams in the market, covering all relevant areas of commercial litigation with top-quality people’ and leveraging a robust international dimension, Allen & Overy LLP provides international and domestic clients from a range of sectors with a truly full-service approach. Widely regarded as one of the top trial lawyers in the Netherlands, Arnold Croiset Van Uchelen covers the full range of dispute resolution, routinely working on corporate and securities litigation, banking and finance disputes, directors’ liability issues and mass tort claims. Heading the Amsterdam litigation practice, Richard de Haan excels in corporate and commercial litigation, including M&A, joint venture, takeover bid, shareholder activism and governance-related litigation. Regulatory enforcement procedures, financial disputes, collective settlements and insolvency procedures are part of Brechje van der Velden’s expertise, while Hendrik Jan Biemond covers the full range of criminal law litigation, such as market abuse and money laundering claims, and Hilde van der Baan handles energy and project litigation. Specialist heads of other practices, such as Marieke Van Hooijdonk (international arbitration), Frits Gerritzen (IP), and Nicole Wolters Ruckert (data and privacy) maintain a high standard of litigation across multiple disciplines. Counsel Marnix De Planque supports the team on cross-border disputes, including construction, takeover, joint venture, trade and insurance mandates.
Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Richard de Haan; Arnold Croiset Van Uchelen; Brechje van der Velden; Hendrik Jan Biemond; Marieke Van Hooijdonk; Frits Gerritzen
Other key lawyers:
Hilde van der Baan; Nicole Wolters Ruckert; Marnix de Planque
‘One of the best litigation practices in The Netherlands, combining deep knowledge of the law and relevant markets with a practical and no-nonsense approach to resolving disputes.’
‘The prime address for complex corporate, financial and commercial disputes. The team consists of a set of strong and excellent partners with a great group of associates. One of the best teams in the market, covering all relevant areas of commercial litigation with top-quality people.’
‘Arnold Croiset van Uchelen stands out at the top of the Dutch litigation scene. Excellent and superb lawyer.’
The Dutch Ministry of Finance
Royal PostNL N.V.
Eight former members of Imtech’s supervisory board
De Facultatieve Group
Pon’s Automobielhandel B.V.
SEB Life International
- Representing Uniper Benelux in its litigation against the Dutch State regarding the forced coal phase out in 2030.
- Representing Pon’s Autmobielhandel, a Dutch car importer, in a collective action launched against it and others by Stichting Volkswagen Car Claim, relating to the alleged Volkswagen emissions scandal.
- Representing Mediaset, the Italian and Spanish media company controlled by the Berlusconi family, in multi-jurisdictional litigation against minority shareholder Vivendi, in relation to the proposed cross-border intra-group merger and transfer of the statutory seat of the Mediaset Group to the Netherlands.
De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek
De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek leverages its large multi-disciplinary group to advise high-profile clients from a range of sectors on complex landmark cases. Eelco Meerdink represents large corporations in reputational and financially critical cases, including handling major shareholder disputes, defending investment banks against human rights violations, and acting in contentious matters involving the oil and gas sector. Described as a ‘force in the field of mass claims’, Machteld De Monchy is sought out by corporations for representation in class actions. Jeroen Van Der Schrieck is the key name for corporate clients which require representation before the Enterprise Chamber in Amsterdam. Head of the insurance law department Dennis Horeman acts for financial institutions in times of financial distress, while recently promoted partner and ESG expert Davine Roessingh is the key contact for enforcement actions and assistance with ESG regulations, corporate sustainability work and value chain responsibility issues. Jan de Bie Leuveling Tjeenk also contributes to the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Machteld de Monchy; Jeroen van der Schrieck; Dennis Horeman; Davine Roessingh; Jan de Bie Leuveling Tjeenk
‘The DBBW team combines first-class technical legal advice and litigation strategy with a genuine understanding of the commercial realities and pressures their clients face.’
‘Eelco Meerdink is an outstanding litigator. He is an excellent strategist; understands and addresses the commercial pressures his clients are facing and never loses sight of the ‘end game’ in the cut and thrust of a tough dispute.’
‘Dennis Horeman is an excellent litigator, who is very skilled, strategic, inspiring, a team player and trustworthy.’
‘Dennis Horeman is an incredibly fast thinker, which allows him to cut into the complexity of a case with more ease than his peers. His down to earth mentality makes him a very pleasant sparring partner for clients.’
‘Machteld de Monchy is a force in the field of mass claims. She shapes the international debate by means of her visible presence on all relevant panels. Under her wings a strong team is developing, ready for all future cases.’
‘The support is very professional, dedicated, and great on a technical and strategic level.’
‘Davine Roessingh is a talent to watch. She is a strategic thinker and someone who takes responsibility over the case in a calm and thorough manner. She communicates clearly, and quickly, and is always willing to function as sparring partner.’
‘Very invested team, with strong legal but also strong social skills. Additional expertise would be sought inside the firm whenever needed.’
Yukos Oil majority shareholders
Group companies of Yukos Oil
PACCAR and DAF Group
COFCO Coöperatief U.A.
COFCO International Limited
Centerbridge Partners Europe LLC
Just Eat Takeaway.com
SRH N.V., de Volksbank N.V.
Bureau Clara Wichmann
Transgender Netwerk Nederland
Robert Bosch GmbH
- Acting for Yukos Oil’s majority shareholders in proceedings relating to the expropriation of Yukos Oil, including the landmark setting-aside proceedings of the $50bn arbitral awards.
- Advising DAG group as lead counsel in 20 jurisdictions regarding mass claims in Europe.
- Advising COFCO, a Chinese state held international food production and trading company, in post-M&A arbitration claim, concerning an accounting fraud in a South American jurisdiction, and a major court litigation against EY as the target’s former auditor in the Netherlands and Brazil.
Houthoff consistently works on multi-jurisdictional complex cases, including corporate, insolvency, financial, insurance and semi-public sector litigation at all court levels including the Supreme Court. The experienced Albert Knigge acts in multiparty cross-border disputes, defending international clients against securities class actions and commencing proceedings for the restructuring and recovery of losses. Corporate litigator Jan Willem de Groot is another name to note for post-arbitral litigation as well as post-M&A disputes. Supreme Court specialist Bart van der Wiel represents international clients in the energy and entertainment industries in finance, insolvency and liability claims. Competition litigator Rick Cornelissen focuses on follow-on cartel damages claims, while David Heems is the go-to name for representation in directors’ and officers’ liability disputes. Recently promoted partners Paul Sluijter and Marjolein Heuten also contribute significantly to the practice.
Albert Knigge; Bart van der Wiel
Other key lawyers:
Jan Willem de Groot; Rick Cornelissen; David Heems; Paul Sluijter; Marjolein Heuten; Laura van Gardingen; Isabella Wijnberg
‘The Houthoff team is our go to team for Supreme Court cases.’
‘Albert Knigge is that rare mix of being an excellent black letter lawyer but also very commercial. He is very user-friendly and a pleasure to work with.’
‘I consider Rick Cornelissen the best lawyer I have ever worked with. He is knowledgeable, responsive, very friendly and a great communicator.’
‘Jan Willem de Groot is leading his team by example. He is very knowledgeable, and a strategic thinker.’
‘Jan Willem de Groot and Marjolein Heuten are exceptional.’
‘David Heems is the star! His personal efforts are beyond comparison to others. He is also a good leader in orchestrating his team.’
‘Bart van der Wiel is one of the most well-known Supreme Court litigators in the Netherlands. He stands out from the crowd by combining exceptional expertise in procedural law with solid business acumen. Bart is definitely the go-to Supreme Court litigator in the Netherlands.’
‘Albert Knigge is a master tactician with a deep understanding and knowledge of law who ensures all points are covered.’
Cargolux Airlines International S.A.
Huntington Ingalls Industries
Nederlandse Spoorwegen (NS)
Sligro Food Group
- Defending Petrobras in a securities class action submitted by the mass claims vehicle Stichting Petrobras Compensation Foundation, which represents a worldwide class of holders of securities (US investors excluded) who claim to have suffered financial loss as a result of alleged fraud within the Petrobras group during 2004 – 2014.
- Represented Volvo Trucks/Renault Trucks in its defence strategy against pending and upcoming cartel damages cases, following on from European Commission fines for the exchange of information on gross prices for 14 years and the passing-on of costs of compliance with stricter emission rules.
- Represented bondholders Brigade Capital and Davidson Kempner before the Supreme Court in indemnification proceedings awarding €804m of compensation to bondholders for the expropriation by the Dutch State in respect of SNS Bank and SNS Reaal.
Loyens & Loeff
Loyens & Loeff‘s corporate, commercial and financial litigation team focuses on class actions and collective settlements, acting for multinational clients as defence counsel. Private equity fund structure issues, transaction-related shareholder disputes and directors’ liability claims also fall within the scope of the firm’s practice. Sidney Berendsen is a specialist in corporate disputes involving M&A transactions and represents shareholders, directors and supervisors before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeal. Newly promoted partner Bastiaan Kemp represents private equity houses, listed corporates, healthcare clients and sports organisations in corporate governance cases. As head of the firm's insurance and liability team, counsel Merel van Asch leads contentious work in the insurance space.
Other key lawyers:
Bastiaan Kemp; Merel van Asch
‘Sidney Berendsen heads up a strong legal team.’
‘Good legal expertise, understanding clients’ needs, creative and proactive.’
‘Loyens & Loeff do an excellent job of apprising me of the Dutch legal system procedurally and substantively.’
Former CEO of Airbus SE
ICAP Europe Ltd
Ad-hoc group of senior secured noteholders in HEMA
Asian Development Bank
Heineken Holding N.V.
Sovereign Wealth Fund Samruk-Kazyna JSC
Stichting Pensioenfonds Rail & Openbaar Vervoer
PlantLab Groep B.V. (and several board members and depositary receipt holders)
- Representing the former CEO of Airbus SE against claims in a class action suit, seeking compensation for alleged inflated share prices purported to have resulted from late or misleading disclosure of alleged fraud to the market.
- Representing ICAP plc and ICAP Europe Ltd in denying claims in a class action suit, wherein ICAP acted as a broker of four international banks.
- Advised a group of convertible bondholders representing approximately €2bn of the Steinhoff Group’s debt, on queries related to Steinhoff group restructuring matters and Dutch (class action) shareholder litigation.
NautaDutilh‘s commercial litigation practice covers the full range of disputes, acting for financial institutions, corporates and professional services clients. Thanks to Supreme Court litigator Freerk Vermeulen, the firm also has strong capabilities in ESG disputes, working on landmark climate change litigation. Known for his expertise in transaction-related litigation and director liability proceedings, Paul Olden represents companies and directors in high-profile cases that include international securities class actions and Enterprise Court proceedings; Rotterdam-based Rutger Kalsbeek is also a key contact for clients in this area. Kasper Krzeminski specialises in the resolution of commercial and contractual disputes, while Philip Malanczuk defends clients in niche markets against cartel damages actions. ‘Skilled corporate litigation expert’ Frans Overkleeft works on contested public takeover bids and shareholder activism issues, while head of the New York-stationed disputes team Marieke Faber assists corporates and financial institutions navigating ESG-related challenges.
Paul Olden; Freerk Vermeulen; Rutger Kalsbeek
Other key lawyers:
Kasper Krzeminski; Frans Overkleeft; Philip Malanczuk; Marieke Faber; Martijn Jansen; Catrien Rozeman
‘My go-to firm in the Netherlands. This is a firm that can hold its own among the world’s largest and most prestigious law firms. The disputes team is outstanding from the most senior down. Excellent lawyers providing an excellent service. They are also great collaborators.’
‘Marieke Faber was a standout performer. She understood and engaged fully in complex financial issues and used this understanding to deliver a powerful cross examination of the opposing expert.’
‘Paul Olden, Freerk Vermeulen and Frans Overkleeft work well together and are properly collaborative. They are always available and are incredibly hard working.’
‘Frans Overkleeft is a skilled corporate litigation expert. He maintains a good helicopter view of complex cases while also tending to the relevant details of a case. When emotions rise he remains professionally calm and in control.’
‘Paul Olden stands out.’
‘Frans Overkleeft is a highly clever attorney who is very responsive, eloquent and well attuned to his client’s interests and needs. He is someone you want on your team. He is very pleasant to work with.’
‘We are very glad to have Nauta as partner in our litigation cases. Nauta is excellent. We are impressed by the high quality of work of this firm.’
‘Working with Nauta is working with exceptional people. The legal knowledge and expertise of the lawyers is outstanding, and the standards are very high in everything they do. They always achieve the very best for us as a client.’
Royal Dutch Shell
- Defending petrochemicals company Braskem in a case before the Dutch courts brought by a group of Brazilian residents of Maceió over cracks and sinking ground near salt mines in that city.
- Representing directors and officers of large multinational companies in both securities class actions and Enterprise Court proceedings.
- Acting for the Amsterdam-based Allard Pierson museum in three instances of Dutch court proceedings about the disputed claims to the ancient Crimea artefacts that were on loan to the museum at the time of the annexation of the Crimean peninsula by the Russian Federation in 2014.
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is recognised in the market for its role representing the Dutch State, including the Public Prosecutions Office, and also stands out for its Supreme Court litigation pedigree. As a ‘sharp-minded’ and ‘strong litigator’, Wemmeke Wisman advises Dutch ministries and governmental authorities on high-stakes disputes and complex civil proceedings involving elements of public, liability and contract law; Wisman’s ground-breaking work includes disputes concerning war art repatriations and restitution as well as a fiscal fraud cases. Seasoned Supreme Court litigator and group co-head Hans van Wijk represents clients in corporate, liability and Dutch Caribbean law disputes. Practice co-head Willem Heemskerk acts for corporate clients confronted with cartel damages claims, while experienced Supreme Court litigator Sikke Kingma represents listed and non-listed companies and international and domestic clients in a range of major areas of civil law, including IP, media, insolvency, tort and contract disputes. Gijsbrecht Nieuwland and recently promoted partner Peter van Kippersluis are also key litigators, and senior associate Raimond Dufour specialises in private international law, working on cross-border disputes, including class actions.
Hans van Wijk; Willem Heemskerk
Other key lawyers:
Wemmeke Wisman; Sikke Kingma; Gijsbrecht Nieuwland; Peter van Kippersluis; Raimond Dufour; Jerre de Jong
‘In my opinion, nothing beats the Supreme Court litigation team of Pels Rijcken.’
‘Sikke Kingma is a very sharp thinker and, in my view, one of the best cassation lawyers in the Netherlands. He is also very approachable and therefore pleasant to work with. The same goes for Jerre de Jong, who is also making a name for himself as a Supreme Court lawyer.’
‘Wemmeke Wisman is a top-notch litigator who is down to earth, easy and fun to work with. She has represented the Dutch State in a number of high-profile matters.’
‘Willem Heemskerk is always well prepared. He moves quickly and you feel supported as a client. He is nuanced and sensible in terms of strategy.’
‘We work mainly with partner Hans van Wijk who handles our commercial litigation before the Supreme Court. Hans is extremely experienced and capable in this area. He is also very pleasant to work with and very driven to achieve optimal results.’
‘Willem Heemskerk and Peter van Kippersluis are natural leaders and excellent lawyers in every respect. They listen and have always shown that they make their decisions based on facts.’
‘Wemmeke Wisman is an outstanding lawyer who gives practical and solid legal advice. She adds value and is outstanding in representing her clients in court proceedings.’
‘I have worked with Gijsbrecht Nieuwland many times and have always been very content.’
Royal Dutch Shell
Mercedes-Benz Group AG
CNA Insurance Company Europe
Franchisees of Albert Heijn
- Assisted Shell in a landmark case on human rights before the Court of Appeal of The Hague, after extensive litigation that took place in the US.
- Representing Mercedes-Benz in more than 60 different cartel follow-on proceedings, mostly initiated by claim vehicles with a constituency of thousands of truck owners, relating to the alleged Truck cartel.
- Assisting The Dutch State in Supreme Court proceedings relating to the expropriation of SNS Bank, after a judgment of the Enterprise Division of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal in which a compensation of more than €1bn was granted.
Mass damages litigation is a core specialism of Stibbe‘s experienced litigation practice, which fields ‘brilliant and incredibly intelligent advocates‘. As a specialist in tort law, contractual liability issues, competition damages claims and collective redress procedures, Jeroen Kortmann co-leads the practice alongside Fons Leijten, who represents clients in corporate disputes before the Enterprise Chamber of The Amsterdam Court of Appeal. Clients turn to Tim de Greve for representation in high-stakes national and international disputes, including the enforcement of foreign judgements and arbitral awards. Branda Katan is the go-to name for international litigation with a focus on contractual claims and the tort consequences of failures in internal communication, IT systems and flows of information. Matthijs Kuijpers is also a key contact in the dispute resolution team and associate Daphne Rijkers works on corporate fraud issues and represents financial institutions in financial claims.
Other key lawyers:
Tim de Greve; Matthijs Kuijpers: Branda Katan; Daphne Rijkers; Daisy Nijkamp; Niels Didden; Wouter den Hollander; Jeroen de Boer; Gertjan Boekraad
‘Outstanding partners and outstanding associates. Brilliant and incredibly intelligent advocates.’
‘Jeroen Kortmann is a terrific advocate and Jeroen de Boer is a rising star.’
‘Stibbe’s litigation team has a good sense of international dispute resolution and understands the cultural differences. They are always easy to work with for lawyers outside of their jurisdiction.’
‘Jeroen Kortmann is a very knowledgeable and sharp litigator. Branda Katan is very knowledgeable and highly capable of managing the team.’
‘Matthijs Kuijpers is very kind and patient, and his advice is always easy to understand.’
‘Gertjan Boekraad is a pleasant, very smart professional. Easily available when required and all issues I have worked on with him over the last decade were finalised to our full satisfaction. Quality of work is exceptional!’
‘The team consists of persons with complementary qualities, delivering at a very high level.’
‘The team is knowledgeable, thorough in its approach and the quality of work truly is very good. The lawyers work fast when necessary and are always available.’
- Defended Apple in the Dutch opt-out class action for an alleged abuse of a dominance concerning the App Store.
- Defending Royal Dutch Airline KLM against an ESG greenwashing collective action case brought by an NGO concerning carbon neutrality issues and the sustainability of global civil aviation.
- Representing pan-European energy giant RWE against the Dutch State for the closure by the Dutch State of the traditional coal-fired power plants in the Netherlands.
Head of AKD’s dispute resolution practice Patrick Haas is the go-to lawyer for professional class actions funders from around the world seeking legal representation in international collective redress cases. Haas is also a trusted adviser for third party litigation funders investing in cases in the Netherlands. The experienced Eric Koster specialises in cross-border litigation, while Thijs Hekman acts for and against financial institutions in disputes involving bankruptcies, directors’ liability claims and the enforcement of securities. Fouad el Houzi is another key practitioner for insolvency and restructuring disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Erik Koster; Thijs Hekman; Fouad el Houzi; Jeffrey Kleywegt
‘AKD are both transparent and responsive. As a company, these are the values we live by for our clients, so it was really a match made in heaven to have a law firm on our side that adopts the same strategy towards its clients.’
‘Thijs Hekman in particular was practically always available when called upon, and always provided clear and succinct feedback regarding how our case was progressing.’
‘Patrick Haas is a pleasure to work with and always makes you feel you are in very capable hands. He is exceptionally commercial and brings a perspective to issues that is always welcome.’
‘Thijs Hekman is clever and to-the-point.’
‘The high level of specialisation in the field of insolvency/director’s liability litigation is outstanding.’
‘Thijs Hekman is a bright junior partner. He handles complex insolvency and litigation cases.’
‘This practice is unique because it combines expertise in international and local (Dutch) matters.’
‘AKD provides a streamlined, efficient and complete service to its clients. They are easy to deal with, incredibly reliable and effective. They know their market very well and have a depth of insight into matters.’
Yukos Finance B.V.
EndemolShine Group B.V.
Royal Imtech N.V.
Svenska Handelsbanken S.A.
LeasePlan Nederland N.V.
Erasmus Medisch Centrum Rotterdam
Neways Electronics International N.V.
TransAtlantis Funding Lux S.a.r.l.
Cerberus Capital Management LP
Uljee Food Group B.V.
- Representing SCC in several landmark class action cases against various car manufacturers (VW Group, Renault, Stellantis, Daimler) for their role in the diesel emissions scandal.
- Representing the bankruptcy trustees of Royal Imtech N.V. in clawback actions against the former financiers of the Imtech group.
Baker McKenzie‘s dispute resolution team covers a wide range of contentious matters, including construction, competition, commercial and retail disputes. Expert antitrust litigator Frank Kroes routinely represents major players in the oil and gas sector in cartel and abuse of dominance disputes. Supply chain litigation involving franchise contentions, comparative advertising claims and brand infringement issues form a large part of Itse Oosterhoff‘s practice. Oosterhoff also acts for clients in D&O liability and governance mandates, as well as post-M&A disputes. The Dutch team frequently works with offices across the globe on international litigation and advises other offices when Dutch law is involved.
Frank Kroes; Itse Oosterhoff
‘Frank Kroes is an exceptional lawyer and, on a personal basis, a delight to work with.’
‘Frank Kroes stands out in terms of his factual, pragmatic approach, strategic thinking, swiftness in dealing with issues in addition to being extremely pleasant to deal with.’
‘Itse Oosterhoff is a dedicated lawyer who is very solution driven to bring the case in or out of court to an end.’
Responsive Learning Systems ApS
The Crossby Group
NENT Studio AB
Takenaka Europe GmbH
Hunter Douglas Europe
Rituals Cosmetics Enterprise B.V.
- Representing Shell in follow-on litigation proceedings following a competition infringement decision by the European Commission in relation to the Dutch market for road bitumen.
- Acting for Rituals in a complex dispute with its former franchisee Dimpex.
- Acting for Specsavers International B.V. in all its disputes pertaining to its Dutch joint venture partners, which operate the stores.
BarentsKrans is routinely called upon by clients from a range of sectors to represent them as claimants in compensation proceedings and class actions against global companies. Supreme Court litigator Rieme-Jan Tjittes is a key name to note for commercial disputes involving contracts, and private enforcement expert Martijn van Maanen focuses on M&A, fraud, insolvency and directors’ liability mandates. William Schonewille acts for investors and consumers in initiating class actions, while Philip Fruytier, a Supreme Court practitioner, represents real estate developers, investors, insurance companies and international organisations in various areas of the law. Roeland De Mol, Annelies van der Ploeg and Marjolein van Rest are also key contacts in the dispute resolution team.
Martijn van Maanen; Rieme-Jan Tjittes; William Schonewille
Other key lawyers:
Philip Fruytier; Roeland De Mol; Annelies van der Ploeg; Marjolein van Rest
‘The team is very professional, pro-active attitude, has a personal approach, is very dedicated and always on time to give an additional explanation.’
‘Marjolein van Rest is sharp and skilled, quick and patient at the same time. Keeps on to her strategy, but flexible when necessary.’
Claims Funding Europe
Macedonian Thrace Brewery
Stichting Massaschade & Consument
The Office of the Public Prosecutor Saint Martin
- Representing the interests of several hundred corporations, including multinationals (HP, Unilever, Novartis, Ericsson, Philips, Canon, Motorola, etc.) in seeking compensation from the members of the Air Cargo Cartel.
- Acting as counsel for Fox Networks in a dispute with Ziggo about the distribution of Premier League Soccer (National and International) on TV in the Netherlands.
- Commenced a class action for consumers of Airbnb aiming at a full refund of all service costs paid by consumers.
Clifford Chance‘s sizeable dispute resolution practice is well placed to resource large and critical cases in the market for blue-chip clients and international investment banks. Head of the litigation practice Dirk-Jan Duynstee specialises in corporate and securities litigation, including directors’ liability claims, governance issues, shareholder disputes and public-takeover litigation. Class action-focused Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer frequently acts for issuers, financial institutions and audit companies as defence counsel in disputes related to climate change, securities issues, fraud and cartel damages. Jeroen Ouwehand and recently promoted partner Guido Bergervoet are further names to note for financial litigation, while counsel Evert Verwey works on contentious insolvency and restructuring matters.
Other key lawyers:
Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer; Juliette Luycks; Jeroen Ouwehand; Guido Bergervoet; Evert Verwey; Charlotte Spierings; Tiemen Drenth; Brigitta Jakic
‘The firm has a multidisciplinary approach with excellent coordination and teamwork between partners, leading to an efficient and high-quality legal service.’
‘The Commercial Litigation team stands out in respect of setting strategy, always tuned in to commercial opportunities, the reputational impact and socio-economic developments globally.’
‘Dirk-Jan Duynstee and Brigitta Jakic are both very knowledgeable, hardworking and in a positive way “relaxed” and fun to work with.’
‘Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer is great to work with. An all-rounder, very passionate, always curious and never afraid to ask questions.’
‘Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer is a great strategist and integrator of all the different angles large international cases.’
‘Tiemen Drenth is an impressive senior associate. Very knowledgeable, can grasp a matter quickly, very friendly, organised and communicative.’
‘Tiemen Drenth goes beyond what you would expect from someone with his level of experience by having a very broad knowledge of markets, players, economics and politics. That gives him good business acumen combined with strong legal advice.’
‘Clifford Chance’s legal work is always solid but on top of that they work hard to add more value to it by having diversity in their team, creative thinking and challenging themselves.’
Deloitte Accountants B.V.
Lucerne Capital Management LP
Republic of Ecuador
Spala Investments XXI S.L.
The Dutch Ministry of Finance
Warmtebedrijf Holding B.V.
Dentons routinely represents Dutch and foreign clients in disputes with an international angle, and has a niche specialism in working on Dutch-related Israeli cases. Head of the corporate and commercial litigation team Michel Deckers focuses on securities litigation, directors’ and supervisory board members’ liability claims and collective actions. Corporate and commercial disputes specialist Anouk Rosielle acts for clients in energy, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing and distribution matters.
Michel Deckers; Anouk Rosielle
Other key lawyers:
Jordi van Borssum Waalkes; Merel Vermorken
‘The team consists of brilliant lawyers. You really want Michel Deckers and Anouk Rosielle for excellent strategy and knowledge. They are very nice and always remain calm.’
‘Anouk Rosielle is always on the ball, quick thinker with a great strategic mind.’
‘Michel Deckers is a very experienced team leader. He always provides appropriate strategies by considering clients’ needs as well as the conduct of the lawsuit. He has also a strong assessment ability of comparative law and therefore, he is highly recommended.’
‘Highly skilled team headed by Anouk Rosielle. She is hands-on and proactive in determining and maintaining a case strategy.’
‘Anouk Rosielle is very approachable and highly capable.’
‘Anouk Rosielle has great analytical skills with vast experience in complex dispute resolution. She always explains in detail both advantages and disadvantages of a potential strategy.’
‘Anouk Rosielle is also very accessible and responds quickly to all questions in a timely manner.’
‘They are bold and dare to take on a challenge. Very pleasant to work with or have as opponent in court.’
Shanghai Aerospace Automobile Electromechanical
Stichting Administratiekantoor Funda
PM Principle Marketing
Stichting Hulptroepen Alliantie
- Representing Shanghai Aerospace Automobile Electromechanical in a claim relating to a failed joint venture before the Enterprise Chamber of The Court of Appeal.
- Representing 11 trading companies that form part of Turkish appliances manufacturing company Vestel in Dutch legal proceedings for damages from parties that participated in the cathode ray tube cartel.
- Acting for court-appointed board of Stichting Hulptroepen Alliantie, which is under scrutiny for a high-profile government contract for protective face masks.
DLA Piper‘s disputes and regulatory team leverages its global standing to work on cross-border and multi-jurisdiction mandates involving financial services, construction, ESG, corporate and commercial claims. Group head Marnix Holtzer is the key counsel for legal executives of listed companies for matters involving delicate issues of corporate governance with a view of managing risk. Representing international clients in the emerging ESG-related disputes space is a core strength of Paul Hopman and Michiel Coenraads; senior associate Jorian Hamster is a key support in this area. Hopman and commercial litigation practitioner Ewald Netten often acts for national and international banks in financial services litigation, including insolvency litigation. Senior associate Frank van de Wakker is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Hopman; Michiel Coenraads; Ewald Netten; Jorian Hamster; Frank van de Wakker; Tom Hautvast
‘The team stands out for their international integration. Through this seamless integration it has proven possible to pursue the opposing party in our multimillion dispute in all legal avenues and apply pressure as needed.’
‘The team has a wealth of experience when it comes to corporate litigation and procedures at the Dutch Enterprise Chamber.’
‘Michiel Coenraads is really good. Smart and quick thinker, great with client service delivery. Michiel can speak to our GC and CEO with confidence, and he is really good in an international environment. Great guy to work with! He is very good and leads a big team of talented associates, including Jorian Hamster and Tom Hautvast.’
‘The corporate litigation team at DLA is really strong. They have a lot of blue chip clients and they act in all big cases in the corporate disputes space. I like the fact that they combine superb technical skills with business acumen. They are ahead of the other firms in ESG disputes and business & human rights.’
‘Ewald Netten is a diligent and strategic lawyer. He efficiently manages the process, both in the Netherlands and in the other jurisdictions. His greatest contribution is his strategic overarching vision and his extensive in-depth and hands-on litigation knowhow.’
‘Frank van de Wakker is a bright up-and-coming litigator, who is responsive, effective, and efficient. Frank strikes an excellent balance between the application of the law and managing the business needs.’
‘Frank van de Wakker is a sparring partner and takes the initiative to share his ideas and practical points to improve our processes.’
‘Michiel Coenraads is the lead partner who provided us a great deal of industry insights.’
Amtrust International Underwriters DAC
ING Bank N.V.
- Defending Bayer in multiple court proceedings in the Netherlands against female claimants who assert the birth control device ‘Essure’ caused serious health complications.
- Representing 15 former executives of SNS Bank and SNS Reaal in Enterprise Chamber proceedings, corporate inquiries and potential follow-on liability litigation.
- Acted for Hunter Douglas in litigation relating to the public offer and preparation of the transaction with 3G Capital.
As a specialist firm in complex corporate and commercial disputes, Evers Soerjatin frequently represents clients before the specialised Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal and is involved in high-profile matters leading to landmark decisions. Department co-head Marcel Evers represents directors and shareholders in corporate disputes and urgent crisis situations, routinely litigating before the Enterprise Chamber and civil court. Co-head Stein van Thiel also handles insolvencies, take-over disputes and mass claims relating to cartel cases. Jessica De Rooij is the go-to for collective actions, while Jonas Verheul acts on behalf of directors and lawyers in professional liability cases, and newly promoted partner Jasper Wonders focuses on high-profile commercial disputes. Counsel Ellen Soerjatin is a key contact for inquiry proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal, D&O liability claims and corporate disputes.
Marcel Evers; Stein van Thiel
Other key lawyers:
Jessica de Rooij; Jonas Verheul; Jasper Wonders; Ellen Soerjatin; Michiel van Daal
‘It is not without reason that Marcel Evers is so highly respected in Dutch legal practice. Most would agree that he has set the standard high where corporate litigation is concerned: smart, knowledgeable, and usually two steps ahead in the thought process.’
‘Stein van Thiel is very capable of quickly coming to terms without losing sight of the fundamentals of a case. Very efficient and intelligent, with a profound and clear approach and strategy. A good listener too.’
‘Jessica de Rooij is a great advocate for her clients with a strong practical sense of what really matters in a case.’
‘Stein van Thiel pleaded impressively, mastering all the facts and with a very smart approach toward the court of appeal, feeding them with exactly those elements they should in his view need.’
‘Michiel van Daal has a great drive for finding missing links in a shattered landscape of facts.’
‘Marcel Evers is exceptionally strategic, which is very helpful in complex litigation.’
‘Marcel Evers is a great strategic thinker, who is always one step ahead of the game. Because of the level of detail and excellent strategic choices that he helped us make, we won the case with flying colours.’
‘Jessica de Rooij combines extensive experience with excellent and practical legal advice.’
Waterland Private Equity Firm
Dutch Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda and Porsche dealers
United Dutch Breweries
Top Taste Holding
Blue Phoenix Group
- Acted on behalf of six individuals that contributed to the charitable foundation, Stichting Hulptroepen Alliantie, to immediately suspend and dismiss two directors of Stichting Hulptroepen Alliantie given their conflicts of interests and management.
- Representing Burford Capital LLC and several of the world’s largest asset managers, including three of Steinhoff’s largest institutional shareholders on the multi-billion euro global settlement that was reached in respect of shareholder claims against Steinhoff in connection with accounting irregularities.
As an experienced litigator in investor state disputes, Daniella Strik leads Linklaters' commercial litigation team, which focuses on securities, banking and cartel damages class actions. Arbitration specialist Gerard Meijer also takes on post-arbitral award litigation involving setting aside and enforcement proceedings; he is supported by counsel Bo Ra Hoebeke. The firm has enlarged the scope of its practice with the addition of Supreme Court lawyer Bart Fleuren, who focuses on disputes in the financial, corporate and competition spaces.
Other key lawyers:
Gerard Meijer; Bo Ra Hoebeke; Bart Fleuren
‘Daniella Strik leads the team and is great to work with as counsel to co-defendants in complex cross border matters.’
‘The team is highly responsive, incredibly hard working and all over the detail of the claims we were on the other side to.’
‘Daniella Strik is one of the best litigators I have worked against. I was impressed by her intellect, commercial awareness and energy. A standout lawyer.’
Steinhoff International Holdings N.V.
Non-executive directors of Airbus SE
Credit Suisse A.G.
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc
DPA Group B.V.
ING Group N.V.
Clearstream Banking AG and Deutsche Börse AG
South Stream Transport B.V.
Glencore International AG
LG Electronics Inc.
- Represented Steinhoff in defence of all Dutch class and individual actions initiated against it in relation to €12bn value securities claims following the disclosure of accounting irregularities.
- Represented Credit Suisse in its successful $450m credit bid proceedings in relation to the Ruyi Textile group.
- Representing Madison Pacific in interim injunctive proceedings in relation to a credit facility with an outstanding amount of $350m.
With the recent arrival of liability law, procedural law and class actions specialist Daan Beenders from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek in October 2022, Van Doorne continues to enhance its offering – adding a new dimension to its heritage insurance and liability focused specialisms. Practice head Jasper Leedekerken represents leading national and international clients in a broad range of civil liability issues, including contract, tort and securities claims. Sjoerd Kamerbeek is the key contact for governance, shareholder and post-M&A disputes. Commercial litigator Lisette Bieleveld works on distribution, franchise, agency, product liability and consumer law disputes; she also handles e-commerce and IT litigation. Professional liability claims are a core area for Simone Hoogeveen.
Other key lawyers:
Sjoerd Kamerbeek; Lisette Bieleveld; Simone Hoogeveen; Daan Beenders; Joost Volkers
‘For me, Sjoerd Kamerbeek stands out. Young but already very experienced and with a respectable profile in the market. He provides very good strategy and is able to make compromises in the best interest of his client if and when needed. He has the ability to act rapidly and decisively in litigation if and when needed. I greatly respect him for his work ethos.’
‘Jasper Leedekerken is an excellent lawyer, who can keep the overview even in large and complex cases and thinks along with the client on strategy at a high level.’
‘Daan Beenders has been one of our most trusted advisers for more than 10 years. He has a deep understanding of our business and of our commercial needs. He is a highly intelligent, effective and pragmatic lawyer who never loses sight of the bigger picture involved. In addition, he is a lot of fun to work with.’
‘Sjoerd Kamerbeek is an excellent skilled lawyer with a sharp eye for business needs.’
‘Simone Hoogeveen is a hands-on, pragmatic thinker, who is considerate about the clients’ interests and wishes, which makes her a very reliable and pleasant sparring partner.’
It is extremely pleasant to work with Jasper Leedekerken and his team. They are always cooperative and responsive. With Jasper’s extensive litigation experience, he brings a lot of streetwise-ness to the courtroom.’
‘Daan Benders is very responsive and reliable. He has a pragmatic approach, which is very helpful.’
- Acting for Funda in proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber with respect to its discussions with its major shareholder, the Dutch Association of Real Estate Agents (NVM).
- Representing The Dutch State Lottery in proceedings initiated by various class action claimants and individual consumers, including Loterijverlies.
- Advised Innsworth Advisors Ltd. on legal proceedings against Steinhoff Holdings N.V.
Bird & Bird
Head of Bird & Bird‘s Dutch litigation team Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa works on complex commercial disputes with regulatory and international elements; she is a specialist in the field of insurance and liability law and represents clients in mass claims and private enforcement mandates. Corporate litigator Olaf Trojan focuses on complex issues regarding copyrights, regulatory issues, privacy matters and image rights in the media and technology sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Olaf Trojan; Laura Grijpma; Marieke van den Heuvel; Jeffrey Maaldrink; Wouter Kroeze; Shima Abbady; Line Mayer
‘Highly impressive team that came up with a creative and cost-effective solution to an international litigation challenge for us.’
‘Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa is a star. Super sharp, responsive and pragmatic, she leaves no stone unturned.’
‘Great understanding of different actors and their perspective. Simple concepts to capture complex matters. Great communication skills.’
‘Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa quickly gets to the core; easily relates to people.’
‘Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa is magnificent in her legal advice and litigation. If you have her on your side, you are sure that you get the best.’
Palladyne International Asset Management
YELO Enterprises Ltd
TradeTracker International B.V.
- Acting for Palladyne Asset Management in a large number of connected cases involving Libyan/UN/EU sanction law, fund management specifics and ECHR proceedings.
- Represented Lagerwey (part of the Enercon Group) in proceedings before the Netherlands Commercial Court against Turkish Meriç involving reciprocal claims about a renewable energy project in Turkey and the delivery of wind turbines.
- Representing a consortium of construction companies of Volker Wessels with substantial issues arising from a design, construction and maintenance project for an innovative and sustainable project located in the heart of the Amsterdam Zuidas.
Recognised for its experience in collective actions, bureau Brandeis acts for foundations in high-profile class actions and antitrust damages litigation, with a niche focus on environmental-related proceedings and initiating claims under the new WAMCA legislation. Frank Peters is experienced in the field of hedge fund activism, class actions and climate litigation, while class action specialist Louis Berger also represents directors and shareholders in corporate disputes.
Louis Berger; Frank Peters
Other key lawyers:
Floor Eikelboom; Michelle Krekels; Wesley Vader; Nathan van der Raaij;
‘Excellent, devoted and committed legal team. Thorough and intelligent work. Detail-oriented and reliable.’
‘Louis Berger is a seasoned and knowledgeable lawyer and great to work with. Frank Peters and Wesley Vader stand out.’
‘Wesley Vader is an excellent litigator. Very energetic and on the ball. We work together seamlessly.’
‘Louis Berger is a sharp lawyer who provides outstanding services for his clients. Louis is fast and ‘on-the-ball’. Also his team member, Floor Eikelboom, is an outstanding lawyer with a very high level of knowledge on corporate governance and shareholder disputes.’
‘Floor Eikelboom is the ideal sparring partner and adviser for complex corporate litigation cases.’
‘Senior associate Wesley Vader has an outstanding knowledge of Dutch civil procedural law.’
‘Louis Berger is a strategic quick thinker, always at least one step ahead of the competition. He wins the cases and brings your rightful funds back to you.’
Foundation The Privacy Collective
Stichting Trucks Cartel Recovery
Diesel Emissions Justice Foundation
Stichting Massaschade & Consument
Minority Shareholders Yukos
- Counsel to Diesel Emissions Justice Foundation (Emissions Justice), which is engaged in five diesel fraud cases, against multiple car manufacturers.
- Acting for Fossiel Vrij Nederland and ClientEarth against KLM in a collective action relating to KLM’s greenwashing marketing statements.
- Representing The Privacy Collective, funded by Innsworth Advisory, in its €10bn class action against Oracle and Salesforce, in view of its structural breaches of GDPR in the Real Time Bidding process.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
As a leading firm in collective redress cases, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer deals with cartel follow-on claims and defends clients in consumer collective actions. The Amsterdam-based team works closely with the firm's international litigation teams across Europe and the globe, advising on cross-border financial and trade matters involving big-ticket clients. Driving force in the litigation practice Jeroen Van Hezewijk focuses on cross-border disputes involving domestic and international clients and specialises in follow-on damage claims in relation competition law infringements and class actions. Jelle Drok is a technology and pharmaceuticals litigation specialist, with a background in aerospace engineering, and Michael Broeders works on restructuring and insolvency related litigation.
Jeroen van Hezewijk; Jelle Drok; Michael Broeders
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very skilled, knows how to translate legal strategy and terminology into business wording.’
‘Freshfields has a wealth of experience, has sharp legal minds and are a pleasure to work with.’
‘Rutger Kleemans and Jelle Drok are sharp and experienced litigators, good team leaders.’
- Representing Volkswagen AG and its subsidiaries in a substantial consumer class action in the Netherlands, relating to the Diesel issue.
- Representing ABB in landmark cartel follow-on litigation.
- Representing Barclays against damage claims brought by Dutch social housing corporation Vestia in a substantial derivatives case.
Stek‘s dispute resolution team is known for combining the expertise of litigation and competition lawyers in order to represent corporates and financial institutions in complex domestic and multi-jurisdictional cartel litigation and follow-on damages claims. Litigation team heads Gerben Smit and Jan Bart Van De Hel are vastly experienced in acting for clients in finance litigation, corporate investigations, fraud cases and director’s liability claims. Associates Simon Boersen, Max Hetterscheidt, Tanja Schasfoort and Marie-Claire Leijten are key contacts for corporate, commercial and liability disputes.
Jan Bart van de Hel; Gerben Smit
Other key lawyers:
Simon Boersen; Max Hetterscheidt; Tanja Schasfoort; Marie-Claire Leijten
‘Top dispute resolution team. Jan Bart van de Hel and Gerben Smit stand out from the crowd.’
‘Simon Boersen is astute, down to earth and approachable.’
‘Sharp minds with practical advice.’
‘Jan Bart van de Hel is a pleasure to work with. He is calm, personable and a strong leader of his team. He is also an excellent lawyer and strategist, who manages not just the pure legal side of large cases, but also demonstrates a strong expertise in dealing with strategy and reputational issues.’
‘Simon Boersen has brought strong defence-side experience to the practice, which complements the skills already present in the team. His detailed knowledge of cartel damages rules and precedents is key to Stek’s success in competition damages actions.’
‘Gerben Smit and his associate Tanja Schasfoort are an absolutely pleasure to work with. Gerben is both sharp and relaxed and a solid co-counsel on whom you can rely. Tanja is definitely up-and-coming.’
‘Gerben Smit is a highly skilled litigator. Responsive, with great strategic advice. A sharp thinker who is very quick to understand a complex matter.’
‘Stek’s commercial litigation practice punches well above its weight, being involved in some of the major litigation in the Netherlands. Perfect local partner for cross-border dispute resolution.’
Polar Air Cargo
Corendon Holiday Group
LitFin Capital Limited
- Representing Samsung with respect to civil damages claims proceedings from Turkish and Brazilian corporates against Samsung, Phillips, LG and Technicolor related to alleged cartel arrangements with regard to cathode ray tubes.
- Representing Chinese state-owned COFCO in relation to internal investigations and litigation regarding a large loss as a result of fraud and accounting irregularities.
- Representing Angolan telecoms company Unitel in relation to its complex international dispute with an individual and some of her companies.
Wijn & Stael Advocaten N.V.
International firms frequently refer clients to Wijn & Stael Advocaten N.V. for its experienced and robust handling of Supreme Court and Enterprise Chamber disputes for claiming parties. Thijs van Zanten heads up the Supreme Court litigation practice, Noor Zetteler represents clients in accountancy issues before the Auditor’s Office and the Trade and Industry Appeals Tribunal, and Remco Vermaire acts for financial institutions in restructuring matters.
Remco Vermaire; Noor Zetteler; Thijs van Zanten
Other key lawyers:
Ida Lintel; Willem Jan van Andel
‘Wijn & Stael is a rock-solid medium-sized firm. Their insolvency practice in particular is excellent.’
‘Noor Zetteler and Willem Jan van Andel are stand-out individuals. They act as court-appointed bankruptcy trustees. Their appointment is a clear illustration of their excellent reputation. Their handling of that matter is cool-headed, expeditious and fair.’
‘The team is well equipped to deal with complex, cross-border collective securities litigation. Both when it comes to the legal and strategical side of cases, the team’s output is outstanding.’
‘The firm is committed to deliver quality, they are easy to reach and very responsive. Its advice is clear, to the point and concise and always turns out to be correct. Finally, the lawyers are a pleasure to work with, kind and with the right sense of humour.’
‘Wijn & Stael Advocaten offers good value-for-money assistance in proceedings before the Dutch Supreme Court.’
‘Thijs van Zanten is an excellent Supreme Court counsel who is very mindful of the client’s interest.’
67 minority shareholders of Fortuna Entertainment Group N.V.
Hudson’s Bay Company ULC
Amstel Hospitality Group B.V.
De Lage Landen
- Represented the users of the platform of Airbnb in the preliminary reference proceedings before the Dutch Supreme Court in a case that could impact other online platforms’ revenue models that charge both buyers and sellers.
- Represented a bankruptcy trustee of BMA Nederland before the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Representing an expropriated bondholder from the nationalised SNS Bank (De Volksbank) during the State’s appeal to the Supreme Court.
CMS‘ dispute resolution team represents plaintiffs and defendants, spanning insurance companies, financial institutions, energy companies, and directors and officers. Leonard Böhmer heads up the litigation and insurance team, while Peter Soede focuses on complex legal procedures involving liability law, Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter is a key name to note for corporate litigation, and Petra Heemskerk specialises in procurement issues involving high-profile tender disputes. Franchise disputes specialist Anita Canta and sports expert Michiel Van Dijk are also recommended.
Leonard Böhmer; Peter Soede; Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter; Petra Heemskerk
Other key lawyers:
Anita Canta; Michiel van Dijk; Oskar van de Weijer; Maurits Rabbie
‘I believe the litigation team of CMS Amsterdam is able to provide solid legal advice and representation in court. They have a solid place in the market when it comes to corporate and insolvency litigation.’
‘Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter is a tenacious lawyer who keeps exploring new angles until he has found the right approach to win the case and overcome any setback.’
‘Pro-active, friendly and respectful.’
‘Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter is forceful and steadfast.’
‘Maurits Rabbie is respectful, a guy who knows how to finish a deal.’
‘I would recommend Bart Adriaan de Ruiter for corporate litigation. He has a no-nonsense approach and provides value for money.’
‘Each individual has the mind to understand the customers’ requirement and try to accomplish that.’
Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd
Hubei Forbon Technology Co Ltd
Johnson & Johnson
Chubb European Group Limited
- Representing Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd. and its Dutch subsidiary in a complex international post M&A-dispute.
- Represented the management board of the Dutch Football Association in its high-end, sensitive dispute in its capacity as majority shareholder in joint venture Sportlink about its football planning and social software platform before the Dutch Enterprise Chamber.
- Representing the Dutch subsidiary of ArcelorMittal in several complex international corporate and commercial disputes, including a dispute with North Irish building company and end customer Lidl with regard to the building of 90 Lidl stores in the UK.
Head of Florent‘s litigation practice Yvette Borrius represents listed companies and high-profile individuals, including managing directors, shareholders and officers, in sensitive investigations and mass claims. Representing national and international clients in disputes that intersect insolvency and commercial matters is a core specialism of Chris Jager‘s work. Recently promoted partner Emille Buziau is another key contact for shareholders and directors, and represents listed companies in summary proceedings regarding the performance of agreements.
Yvette Borrius; Chris Jager; Emille Buziau
Other key lawyers:
Bart Jan Hermans
‘Fantastic, dedicated service. Very knowledgeable and smart.’
‘Excellent customer focus and problem-solving abilities.’
‘Chris Jager is a highly skilled individual that I worked with for many years. Without doubt excellent legal advice and litigation skills. More importantly, he is able to translate legal analysis into boardroom advice that helps my organisation achieve its strategic goals.’
‘Very hands on and pragmatic, whilst at the same time they are thorough and come up with good legal analyses.’
‘Emille Buziau is very dedicated, nice to work with, always available.’
‘Yvette Borrius is clearly an experienced commercial litigator.’
‘Chris Jager and his team are very hands-on and practical in their approach. No matter their schedule, they will always find time to assist where necessary. The quality of their work is outstanding.’
‘Chris Jager will move heaven and earth to make sure he makes himself available. He is highly knowledgeable and, above all, a great personality to work with. I can highly recommend him and his team.’
The former CEO of Steinhoff International Holdings N.V.
McLarnon & Son Ltd
European Pharmaceuticals International B.V.
Medstone Holding B.V.
BSFE Holding B.V.
Renault SA and group companies
Deus Ex Machina (DEM)
- Representing Hydro et al. in an appeal against a decision concerning ‘immunity from execution’ in the context of enforcing an arbitral award.
- Representing the former CEO of Steinhoff International Holdings N.V. and group companies in five proceedings before the Dutch courts, including class action claims, alleging that the client was involved in, or failed to redress, a major fraud when CEO of the Steinhoff group.
- Representing Renault SA and group companies in three WAMCA proceedings before the Dutch court, regarding mass claims launched by several collective redress foundations regarding Renault diesel vehicles, which would allegedly contain devices to conceal non-compliance with emission standards.
Following the arrival of Jolien van Woudenberg in 2021, Höcker Advocaten‘s dispute resolution practice represents clients in media and public interest disputes and class action settlements. Seasoned litigator Marc Wolters leads the practice, focusing on corporate disputes involving joint venture issues and contract rescission proceedings. Banking and finance sector disputes also remain an integral element of the firm’s practice.
Other key lawyers:
Jolien van Woudenberg
‘I work closely with Jolien van Woudenberg in the field of corporate litigation and appointments in the Enterprise Chamber of the court of appeal. She is very experienced and does not overcomplicate matters. In the field of corporate litigation there are not many lawyers that are as hands on as she is.’
‘Jolien van Woudenberg is sharp, strict if needed but only when it helps to bring a solution. She is very solution driven. Straightforward and transparent qualities are what makes working with her in these cases very constructive and successful.’
‘Jolien van Woudenberg has a strong character, but no ego.’
TCC Global N.V.
Stichting de Thuiskopie
Rojanets Investments LLC
Swapschade B. V
Sony Interactive Entertainment Benelux B.V.
- Representing a group of predominantly international investors whose assets were seized following the Dutch expropriation of SNS Reaal.
- Represented two of Aptitude Health Group’s joint venture partners before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal for the reinstitution of directors.
- Representing 24 small and medium size companies regarding interest rate swaps sold to the companies by large Dutch banks.
Key litigator in Jones Day‘s dispute resolution practice Gerjanne Te Winkel focuses on cross-border, ESG and shareholder disputes as well as takeover battles, securities litigation and professional liability claims. Coen Drion adds a further layer of expertise in dealing with commercial contracts, liability issues and restructurings. Counsel Niels van Loon has a niche specialism in minority squeeze-out proceedings.
Gerjanne te Winkel
Other key lawyers:
Coen Drion; Niels van Loon; Selien Coolen
‘The partners are very experienced.’
‘Gerjanne Te Winkel is a very experienced counsel and has litigated on numerous topics and legal questions. She is able to work with difficult clients.’
‘Without a legal counsel within our company, Jones Day has become a well-trusted, integral part of our business, acting like a true and pragmatic business partner and agile go-to source that is fully aware of our business dynamics in the chemical space.’
‘The people from JD are fully capable and are always available to step in when we need them.’
‘Good advice, good contact.’
Brigade Distressed Value Master Fund Ltd
Brigade Leveraged Capital Structures Fund Ltd
Brigade Credit Fund I Ltd.
Herkules Capital AS
Herkules Private Equity Fund III
Toba Capital LLC, Toba Fund II LLC, Toba Venture Series LLC
ASR Property Fund N.V., ASR Dutch Prime Retail Custodian B.V. and ASR Utrecht Real Estate Investments Netherlands B.V.
- Representing Brigade in the expropriation of SNS Reaal securities by the State of the Netherlands.
- Represented landlords ASR and Kroonenberg in a dispute with Hudson’s Bay Company concerning the lease of five real properties that housed Hudson’s Bay stores in the Netherlands.
Lexence's practice is led by Timo Jansen, who is an expert in preventing and resolving corporate law issues, contractual conflicts and professional liability cases, and all-round litigator Bram Thomas Craemer, who deals with fraud cases, trade disputes, failed joint ventures and issues with software implementation. Arnout Schennink is a key contact for disputes involving individuals in the Enterprise Chamber. The firm also handles bankruptcy disputes for companies and frequently defends individuals in mismanagement proceedings.
Bram Thomas Craemer; Timo Jansen
Other key lawyers:
Arnout Schennink; Mattias Kik
‘What impressed me was the very profound study of all details of the history of the case. They proceeded with the case only after knowing and understanding every detail of the past. I have never experienced this diligence in a law firm.’
‘Bram Thomas Craemer has a pleasant combination of relevant knowledge, humour, tranquility and empathy.’
‘Bram Thomas Craemer is the most brilliant lawyer I know. He has a clear and straight forward approach. His calmness and reliability makes Lexence a partner.’
‘Timo Jansen and Bram Thomas Craemer form the rock-solid base of the team. Both are a pleasure to work with – very practical and hands on.’
‘Timo Jansen is a client focused partner, a good listener and not afraid to push back if this is in his client’s best interest. Provides balanced advice on settlement or litigation based on thorough analysis.’
‘I was amazed by the way Bram Thomas Craemer was able to tune in to my needs while also connecting to the emotional part of my case and managing my expectations perfectly taking the emotions into account. Deep respect.’
‘It was a pleasure to work with Bram Thomas Craemer, who is a very bright and eager person – total dedication in obtaining a favourable result.’
‘During the negotiations, the team maintained good relations with the team from the other side and played the game with great perseverance. They were careful in managing our expectations.’
Fiscal Rep B.V.
Averline Holdings N.V.
Bang! Media Group
AXON Neuroscience S.E.
M.F. Moreira Leite da Silva
- Representing the management of D-Reizen in high-profile injunctive relief proceedings initiated by its receiver in bankruptcy. The receiver demanded a release of pledged IP rights from the management.
- Appointed by the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal as an investigator or custodian of shares in mismanagement proceedings.
- Representing the supervisory and management board of the state-owned de Volksbank in a board room crisis involving multiple injunctive relief proceedings and a corporate investigation into board room dynamics.
Norton Rose Fulbright
The dispute resolution and litigation team at Norton Rose Fulbright routinely works on infrastructure, energy and finance related disputes. Head of the disputes and insurance team Jan Duyvensz represents a range of corporate clients in matters involving financial risks and deals with contentious warranty and indemnity claims arising from M&A transactions in the private equity sector. Yke Lennartz focuses on multi-jurisdictional post-M&A and restructuring and insolvency disputes.
Yke Lennartz; Jan Duyvensz
Other key lawyers:
‘The team shows a willingness to go the extra mile and is capable of meeting challenging deadlines.’
‘Yke Lennartz keeps the high-level overview to successfully determine a litigation strategy.’
‘Koen Durlinger dares to challenge the client and push the client to contribute in the right way.’
AmTrust at Lloyd’s Limited
Centrale Bank Curaçao & Sint Maarten (CBCS)
Danske Skibs Kredit
First Curaçao International Bank (FCIB)
Helios Market, Product & Production Development B.V.
ING Capital LLC, ING Bank N.V.
John Bean Technologies
- Acting as defence counsel on behalf of a well-known lawyer in relation to complex court proceedings regarding a professional liability dispute.
- Advising and representing a global food processing machinery and airport equipment company in a post-M&A dispute with two companies in the food packaging machines industry.
The dispute resolution team at Ploum focuses on commercial and corporate litigation as well as insurance, construction and real estate disputes. Key contact for insurance companies Maurice Verhoeven handles professional, D&O liability and shareholders disputes, and Natalie Vloemans represents clients in the petrochemicals and construction industries in insurance claims. Head of the competition law practice Michel Jacobs deals with cartel cases, while Dorine ten Brink is involved in civil proceedings involving IT issues.
Other key lawyers:
Natalie Vloemans; Michel Jacobs; Dorine ten Brink; Vincent Terlouw; Thomas Munnik; Nicole de Boer; Matthijs Gardien; Suzanne Poutsma
‘Ploum is always very responsive to questions and requests for assistance. They offer a pro-active approach to the issue at hand.’
‘Michel Jacobs shows all qualities which clients of big law firms are asking for.’
‘Matthijs Gardien is young and energetic. He responds very quickly to questions and communicates very well.’
‘Thomas Munnik and Maurice Verhoeven are always available and on top of things.’
‘Matthijs Gardien has a no nonsense and problem-solving attitude. He makes sure all ways to resolve a dispute are being discussed. If litigation is necessary, he is a seasoned professional who takes the initiative and gets the best result possible for his clients. He is also pleasant to work with.’
‘High quality lawyers, very good collaboration and communication.’
‘Suzanne Poutsma, attorney-at-law and part of Michel Jacobs’ team, shows high ability in litigation in complex matters with foreign jurisdictions. Very smart, very fast and friendly.’
‘Dorine ten Brink and Suzanne Poutsma stand out.’
Deloitte Accountants B.V.
AIG Europe Limited, Netherlands
HDI Global Speciality
L.J. Boer Beheer B.V.
Koninklijke Volker Wessels Stevin N.V.
Koole Tankstorage Botlek B.V.
Odfjell Terminals B.V.
Peterson Control Union
Klap No Risk B.V.
Renewi Nederland B.V.
Stichting Loterij Incasso
TUI Nederland N.V.
Liesker Procesfinanciering B.V.
- Defending Klap No Risk against a claim for damages by event organisers for allegedly not having taken care for an insurance policy for certain events that have been cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Representing L.J. Boer Beheer B.V.in inquiry proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeal in Amsterdam.
- Representing Chemours and DuPont in litigation against four municipalities that claim compensation for C8 (PFOA) and GenX related contamination.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons' dispute resolution practice is led by Niek Peters, who focuses on commercial disputes with a cross-border emphasis. Other key contacts in the team are Luc Cohen, who is a real estate and construction specialist, and associates Jonathan Bakker and Andrada Tiru. The firm is noted for its diverse work encompassing financial litigation, mass claims, professional liability issues and medical and technology sector disputes.
Niek Peters; Luc Cohen
Other key lawyers:
Robert Verburg; Jonathan Bakker; Andrada Tiru
‘Strong legal knowledge with a determination to win.’
‘Niek Peters is a strong intellect, committed to win.’
‘We have worked with Niek Peters and Jonathan Bakker who work excellently as a team and are always responsive and reliable. Their legal knowledge and practical awareness of the court system is outstanding.’
Mistubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc.
MUFG Bank Ltd.
Arcoin Holding B.V.
Nippon Cargo Airlines
- Representing Mistubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc. and MUFG Bank, Ltd. in relation to cartel damages follow-on claims brought by a Dutch foundation on behalf of 31 alleged aggrieved parties from within and outside the Netherlands against the aforementioned MUFG entities and entities of five other banks.
- Represented Arcoin Holding B.V. in relation to a shareholder’s dispute that resulted in proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal.
- Represented Mazars in various proceedings before courts of first instance and courts of appeal for purported professional liability claims.
Windt Le Grand Leeuwenburgh
Representing multinational clients in intersecting shareholder and insolvency disputes is a frequent focus of Windt Le Grand Leeuwenburgh's dispute resolution practice. Experienced litigators Irene Tax, Bart Gerretsen, Ruben Leeuwenburgh and Richard le Grand jointly lead the practice.
Irene Tax; Ruben Leeuwenburgh; Richard le Grand; Bart Gerretsen
‘The personal approach of a smaller firm, combined with the knowledge and capabilities of a major firm.’
‘Bright and creative thinkers, who are always open to discussion. Great sparring partners who clearly enjoy their work, and the intellectual exercise that comes with working in law. Marcel Windt and Irene Tax stand out in this respect.’
‘Strong and knowledgeable team with practical experience.’
‘Windt Le Grand Leeuwenburg has assisted us in several dispute resolution cases. We value the fact that they know our business very well. They always respond and act quickly and have a very practical approach that suits our fast-paced business, yet their advice is always thorough with a good eye for detail.’
‘Richard le Grand has assisted us in many cases. He has broad legal knowledge and a good understanding of our business. His practical yet thorough approach and creative ideas have brought success to many of our cases.’
‘The team is dynamic, responsive and highly committed to quality.’
‘Irene Tax is not only an excellent lawyer, but she is also passionate about the cases she handles.’
‘Irene Tax has an excellent reputation, and rightly so. She has a lot of experience and is steadfast. She is solution-oriented and flexible when needed. She has a great deal of legal experience and knows how to apply it well, even under pressure.’
Tennor Holding B.V.
Directors and Officers of FENI (Macedonian subsidiary of Cunico Resources N.V.)
Leaderland TTM entities
Founder of EasyHotel Benelux Group
BB Capital Management B.V.
Eendracht Gerechtsdeurwaarders B.V.
Former D&O’s of Darion Capital Management
L. Baars Beheer Sliedrecht B.V.
Republic of India
Ysquare represents high-profile domestic and international clients in class actions and post-M&A, joint venture and shareholder disputes as well as contractual and non-contractual liability issues. Margriet de Boer, Bregje Korthals Altes, Rufus Abeln, Jan van Nass and Robbert Jan van der Weijden are the key names in the partner-driven Amsterdam-based dispute resolution boutique.
Other key lawyers:
Margriet de Boer; Bregje Korthals Altes; Rufus Abeln; Jan van Nass; Robbert Jan van der Weijden
‘Ysquare has a great deal of knowledge in the field of directors’ liability and fraudulent acts. The team is always there for you, responds quickly and you feel like you are the most important client.’
‘Margriet de Boer is very knowledgeable, responsive and strategic in her thinking and very pleasant in communications.’
Robbert Jan van der Weijden is a litigation expert, always aware of relevant current developments and creative in seeking solutions for complex legal issues.’
Steinhoff Recovery Foundation
Waterland Private Equity
MAD Atelier International B.V.
Liquidation trustees Amsterdam Trade Bank
- Representing Oracle in legal proceedings defending against a €10bn claim.
- Representing multiple (Dutch and foreign) publicly listed multinational companies in resolving commercial disputes and corporate disputes.
- Representing the liquidation trustees of Amsterdam Trade Bank in summary proceedings against Microsoft in relation to economic sanctions.
act Fort Advocaten
Berth Brouwer leads act Fort Advocaten‘s industry focused dispute resolution team. The firm represents clients in the retail, real estate and leisure sectors in contractual disputes, and often collaborates with the firm's real estate team on contentious matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Efficient with an eye for the business aspects of a case, fast, competent and knowledgeable.’
‘Berth Brouwer and the team deliver fast high-quality dispute resolution services.’
‘Berth Brouwer has a helicopter view and is always thinking and communicating his thoughts which makes working with him feel good.’
‘Berth Brouwer and Katinka Verdurmen act fast, are very good litigators and are approachable.’
Amrâth Hotels & Restaurants
Sports Unlimited Retail B.V.
JD Sports Fashion B.V.
De Vijf Heeren B.V.
Schiphol Taxi B.V.
Hein Schilder Groep B.V.
- Represented the Association of Franchisees of Albert Heijn (VAHFR) in a complex and long-running matter on financial settlements against franchisor Albert Heijn.
- Represented Stadion Arnhem in a dispute between premier division soccer club Vitesse and Stadion Arnhem over Vitesse’s attempt to avoid reduced rental repayments and with regard to the claim to terminate the lease of the stadium.
- Represented Amrâth Hotels & Restaurants in litigation between Amrâth and SPF.
Birkway B.V. is a boutique dispute resolution firm, representing mass claims funders in high-profile collective action cases, including disputes arising from securities litigation and energy-related issues. Founding partner Ianika Tzankova is experienced in dealing with mass claims, while Quirijn Bongaerts specialises in financial class actions. Joost Edixhoven and Michiel van Eersel are key contacts for plaintiffs.
Ianika Tzankova; Quirijn Bongaerts; Joost Edixhoven; Michiel van Eersel
‘As a team, they are not only outstanding lawyers but also great people to work with. They will be with you at every step of your case.’
‘Leading commercial litigator Joost Edixhoven is very sound.’
‘Birkway are an exciting firm to watch- I expect exciting things from them in the coming years. They are in an interesting spot and are using their unique skill set to capitalise on the growing Dutch collective action market.’
Stichting Steinhoff Investor Claims
Stichting Diesel Emissions Justice
Stichting NUON Claim
Stichting Investor Loss Compensation
Trustees of Bell Group N.V.
Creditor Representational Body in the insolvency of of DSB
Stichting The Privacy Collective
- Representing Stichting Steinhoff International Compensation Claims in a class action.
- Representing Stichting Diesel Emissions Justice in five class actions against major car manufacturing conglomerates.
- Representing Stichting Investor Loss Compensation in a securities mass claim under WAMCA against Airbus SE in relation to shareholder losses suffered as result of reporting failures in connection with a bribery scandal, compliance and ensuing regulatory sanctions.
Brande & Verheij LLP
Brande & Verheij LLP‘s dispute resolution team is led by firm co-founders Jeroen van den Brande and Theodoor Verheij. The pair are supported by Bas Lem, Barbara van der Ven, Bas Megens and Sarangi Elavarasan in a range of cases, and represents class action plaintiffs in competition litigation and cartel damages claims. The team also acts for clients in pharmaceuticals, construction and financial sector disputes.
Jeroen van den Brande; Theodoor Verheij
Other key lawyers:
Bas Lem; Barbara van der Ven; Bas Megens; Sarangi Elavarasan
‘The team is dedicated and highly skilled.’
‘I think the lawyers work well together as a team and are strong on diversity.’
‘Theodoor Verheij is a very clear, analytical thinker and works quickly into the heart of the matter.’
Stichting Cartel Compensation
Stichting Trucks Cartel Compensation
Pfizer Ireland Pharmaceuticals
- Representing a group of more than 250 companies, which suffered damages in the hundreds of millions as a result of a worldwide cartel in respect of air cargo services.
- Representing a group of thousands of companies and governmental entities, which suffered damages in the hundreds of millions as a result of the European Trucks cartel.
- Representing Pfizer in follow-up damages proceedings brought by Dutch pig farmers following proceedings before various courts and the Dutch Supreme Court in respect of an alleged unlawful act.
Buren leverages its strategically placed offices in The Hague, Amsterdam, Shanghai and Beijing to frequently work on cross-border litigation matters. Philip ter Burg focuses on IP disputes, cartel follow-on actions and international fraud recovery actions, and Jan Holthuis is the key contact for cross-border issues, accustomed to working between Shanghai and Amsterdam. Amsterdam-based Li Jiao specialises in Dutch cases involving Chinese private and state-owned companies, and Jonathan Gal focuses on commercial real estate issues, while Paul Josephus Jitta handles international corporate law disputes. The team also frequently deals with cases involving patent infringements.
Philip ter Burg; Jan Holthuis; Jonathan Gal; Paul Josephus Jitta; Li Jiao
Other key lawyers:
‘Paul Josephus Jitta is excellent.’
Interlink Metals & Chemicals AG
Spherex Hong Kong Ltd.
Integrated Green Energy Solutions
HZPC Holding B.V.
Allseas Spas & Wellness B.V.
- Advised Royal IHC on its legal positions under the contracts and negotiated with the Chinese government agency.
- Acting as counsel for a leading Dutch logistics and transport company in its dispute against a Chinese carrier which in turn has been held liable by a Chinese seller due to releasing goods without presenting the original bill of lading.
Eversheds Sutherland (Netherlands) B.V.
Experienced corporate and commercial litigator Yuri Wehrmeijer leads Eversheds Sutherland (Netherlands) B.V.'s litigation and dispute management team. Preliminary relief proceedings, injunctions, and seizures of assets are routine work for Wehrmeijer, who is supported by senior associate Lotte van der Leij.
Other key lawyers:
Lotte van der Leij
Stichting Bedrijfspensioenfonds AVH
Johnson Controls International
National Joint Stock Company Naftogaz of Ukraine
Mark Four Enterprises B.V.
Azalea Maritime Services
- Represented AVH before the Enterprise Chamber in a €1.5bn fund transfer litigation.
- Represented Naftogaz in an arbitral enforcement dispute.
- Advised Sodexo on various matters.
Greenberg Traurig LLP
Greenberg Traurig LLP's Amsterdam office is a pivotal component of the firm’s European litigation expansion; the Dutch team leverages the firm’s international network to act in multi-jurisdictional disputes. Corporate and commercial litigator Allard Huizing represents a broad client base across the finance, consumer products, real estate, technology, engineering and infrastructure sectors. Wietse de Jong regularly defends financial institutions in securities litigation, including class actions.
Other key lawyers:
Wietse de Jong; Monisha Sardjoe; Jasper van Gameren
‘Top notch service with great partner availability. Allard Huizing is very responsive and has a broad knowledge of and experience with business law and how it stands in courts.’
‘The team has really profound knowledge of ICT purchase legislation. Great communicators. The team responds quickly to questions.’
‘Very good team that is reliable. Everything is taken care of without me having to check things. Gives great confidence. The team is honest.’
‘The team is knowledgeable and works really together as one team.’
‘Allard Huizing is a pleasant person, easily accessible, and a good sparring partner.’
Olympus ACF PTE. LTD.
IDEMIA The Netherlands B.V.
- Assisting equity capital company Olympus in Enterprise Chamber proceedings that were initiated by several shareholders of CreditAccess India N.V.
- Representing issuer GroeiVermogen as is its lead counsel in a class action dispute concerning financial instruments that were distributed to about 100,000 persons in 2004.
Hogan Lovells International LLP
As head of the litigation practice at Hogan Lovells International LLP, Manon Cordewener leads the team in a range of disputes, including commercial, corporate, financial services, antitrust and bankruptcy litigation. Counsel Leonore Bruining brings a new dimension to the team with experience in representing clients in post-M&A disputes, directors’ and shareholders’ liability claims and disputes related to the enforcement of security rights. Senior associates Karen Jelsma and Noor Hogerzeil focus on product liability issues in the life sciences sector.
Other key lawyers:
Leonore Bruining; Karen Jelsma; Noor Hogerzeil
‘The litigation team of Hogan Lovells specialises not only in commercial litigation but also in fraud cases and handles all kind of cases out of the ordinary.’
‘Manon Cordewener is great to work with, very approachable and responsive. She is able to translate difficult legal issues into a language laymen understand. Karen Jelsma must be mentioned as well, together they are the basis of the Hogan Lovells litigation team.’
‘Quick and good advice.’
‘Knowledge of the dossier.’
Bitfury Group Limited
Coöperatie Koninklijke Avebe U.A.
Gordon Brothers International LLC
Groupon Netherlands B.V.
Louisiana Pacific Canada Ltd.
Mitsubishi Motors Europe
Mitsubishi Turbocharger and Engine Europe B.V.
Organik Kimya Netherlands B.V.
WeWork Netherlands B.V.
- Representing Gordon Brothers in legal proceedings initiated against it by two liquidators appointed in the bankruptcy of a Dutch retail company regarding the alleged nullification of a consultancy agreement.
- Defending Ball Packaging in legal proceedings initiated against Bound2B B.V. before the District Court in Amsterdam regarding the alleged default by Ball Packaging under a licence and development agreement relating to the development of a resealable (beverage) can.
- Representing both Air Canada and Korean Airlines in a large anti-trust follow-on litigation matter relating to damages allegedly suffered further to a cartel decision by the European Commission.
HVG Law LLP
HVG Law LLP specialises in non-bankruptcy related restructuring matters as well as corporate and commercial disputes. Dispute resolution team head George Driessen represents clients across diverse industries encompassing the energy, healthcare, construction, retail and sports sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Kim van Wesel
Bond voor Belastingbetalers (Dutch Tax Payers Alliance)
Coöperatieve Nederlandse Bloembollencentrale
Dutch Medical Group
Capricorn Capital Group
Founding shareholder of Imkerij De Traay
Founding shareholder of Priogen Energy
Founding shareholder of PAIX Holding
Founding shareholder of Vedder & Vedder
Founding shareholder of Agrifac and BB Leap
- Representing Dutch Tax Payers Alliance in a collective claim against The Netherlands before the ECHR for effective remedy against disproportionate tax measures.
- Represented one of the founding shareholders of Priogen Energy in a dispute against a fellow founding shareholder and CEO, Enerfund, relating to the subsequent carve-out of the minority shareholder and capital acquisition through private equity before the Enterprise Chamber.
- Represented the investor and founding shareholder (Subliem B.V.) of Vedder & Vedder in a dispute against his co-shareholders before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal.
Jeroen Bedaux heads up Osborne Clarke‘s litigation and arbitration team, working on a range of disputes, including commercial, financial, fraud, construction and corporate litigation. Bedaux also has niche expertise in sports law, consolidated by his status as president of the national appeals committees for disciplinary matters and for doping matters of the Royal Netherlands Football Association. Berend Zwart is the go-to for commercial real estate disputes, while recently appointed partner Paul Brouwer is the key name for banking disputes and directors’ and officers’ liability cases. Associate Nammy Vellinga is a key new contact in the team, having joined from bureau Brandeis.
Other key lawyers:
Berend Zwart; Paul Brouwer; Nammy Vellinga
‘Osborne Clarke have a good understanding of industry specifics.’
‘Nammy Vellinga and Paul Brouwer are litigators with understanding of the business. They are focused on the client’s needs.’
‘The Osborne Clarke team I work with is very professional, very accessible, very knowledgeable and extremely friendly. You know one thing for sure, the issue being handled by the team is in good hands.’
‘Paul Brouwer is a more than excellent lawyer who is technically very good. He is always there for the customer. His problem-solving ability and creative approach confuse many a counterpart. He knows how to solve cases and is an excellent advocate in court.’
‘Nammy Vellinga is an excellent and technically very good lawyer. She is always there for the customer. She goes to great lengths to find out all possible legal solutions very thoroughly and knows how to express this very well in legal textual documents and pleadings. She is able to translate complex matters into unambiguous solutions in detail.’
‘Open-minded, pragmatic team, capable of developing solutions fast while maintaining a high quality level.’
‘A very personal approach. The service team working on our project was consistent in their communication, members were well informed, and actions taken pro-actively.’
Coca Cola Europacific Partners
Jumbo Supermarkten B.V.
- Defending Lifex against the claims by the bankruptcy trustee of one of Lifex’s (bankrupt) operating companies that Lifex is liable for the credits in the bankruptcy that remain unpaid. The deficit of the bankruptcy is €175m.
- Represented Silk Road Bank in two proceedings with a combined value in excess of €40m.
- Represented Takenaka in legal proceedings concerning a claim for damages amounting to €20m.
OSK Advocaten‘s dispute resolution team routinely works on corporate and white-collar criminal defence matters. Jurjen De Korte is an experienced commercial arbitration and litigation lawyer, while Harro Schulz handles corporate disputes and commercial contract issues. Criminal defence and fraud cases are at the core of Geertjan van Oosten‘s work.
Jurjen de Korte
Other key lawyers:
Harro Schulz; Geertjan van Oosten
‘OSK Advocaten is a great choice for complex international litigation and arbitration work in the Netherlands, especially where short notice is required. They are very responsive, very experienced and efficient.’
‘OSK Advocaten is an excellent high-end commercial litigation boutique. They were very visible in litigation over corona-related disputes in the commercial real estate sector and are often instructed by the large firms as co-counsel.’
‘Jurjen de Korte is a sublime litigator who revels in challenging, up-hill legal battles.’
Hudson’s Bay Company
IB Capital FX
Royal Dutch Hunting Association and Royal Dutch Sport Shooting Association
Dutch Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Acting for Hudson’s Bay Company in numerous proceedings before the Dutch courts relating to over €500m in claims by landlords following the bankruptcy of its Dutch business.
- Acting for Promsvyaz Capital regarding an application to enforce two Russian court judgements awarding ₽40bn and $505m to Russian nationalised Promsvyazbank, potentially blocked by EU sanctions.
- Representing an individual in proceedings in Dutch courts defeating a claim brought by Portuguese telecoms company PTV concerning a $470m loan by Angolan telecoms company Unitel.
Pot Jonker Advocaten
Pot Jonker Advocaten has a niche specialism in Supreme Court litigation and acts in disputes involving distribution, franchise and sub-contractor agreements as well as public procurement procedures. Litigation department head Floris Diepraam is an experienced corporate and commercial litigator, who is a trusted adviser to boards of directors and companies. Supreme Court litigator Robbert Boesveld is an expert in liability law, while Babette Blaisse-Verkooijen is the key contact for public procurement issues. Oscar Van Der Pol and recent arrival Cathelijne Otte are also key names to note.
Floris Diepraam; Babette Blaisse-Verkooijen; Robbert Boesveld
Other key lawyers:
Oscar Van Der Pol; Cathelijne Otte; Suzanne Peekel
‘The team is pragmatic, approachable and realistic. As a result, they know how to manage expectations well.’
‘The team is able to communicate at all levels and make legally complex matters accessible to everyone. They can approach a problem from various positions.’
‘Excellent firm with skills on every relevant subject for local government.’
‘Pleasant and quick to approach, always on target and time.’
‘The team works in a solid and cooperative way. The advice is accurate and quick, they never miss a deadline.’
‘The lawyers keep calm in all storms and contribute to running a successful business.’
ABN AMRO Bank
Dutch Flower Group
Klooster Euphrasia / Zusters van O.L.V. van Liefde van de Goede Herder
Royal Ahold Delhaize
Royal BAM Group
Royal PostNL Group
- Assisted Randstad with multiple public procurement cases.
- Represented the Royal PostNL group in a wide range of civil proceedings.
- Acted for the Dutch Flower Group in civil proceedings, varying from trade disputes to liability procedures and complicated, cross-border collection procedures.
Russell Advocaten B.V.
At Russell Advocaten B.V., art law expert Paul Russell is sought out by international companies, affluent individuals, embassies and consulates for high-profile and sensitive international art issues. Associate Eileen A. Pluijm has now left the firm.
‘Very responsive team, accessible any time. They operate to the point, quick in understanding any case.’
‘The firm provides a large area of in-depth expertise. In general, it is much more efficient and productive than other legal firms.’
‘On an individual level, you work with solid lawyers, who not only understand their field of expertise but also provide you with good advice.’
‘Good negotiators when it comes to it.’
‘It’s a very good team, always available and very competent. Good quality and value for money.’
Fielding specialists in corporate and commercial litigation, Stonewater B.V assists clients with financial, tax and business mandates. Co-founder Bart Zandbergen is a cassation lawyer at the Dutch Supreme Court, and represents multinational companies in the district courts and court of appeal in acquisition, financing arrangement and corporate disputes between shareholders, and tax matters. Fellow founding partner Marc van Rijswijk acts for professionals such as directors and lawyers in liability and corporate disputes before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal and the Dutch civil court.
Bart Zandbergen; Marc van Rijswijk
Other key lawyers:
Jechiël Evers; Jelger de Boer; Sebastiaan Lubberhuizen; Heleen de Bruijn
Stichting ‘t Kastheel
Stichting de Zaanse Schans
Giebros Technics Operations
International Strategies Group
DM Real Estate Investments
- Represented Heredium Facility in legal proceedings on whether the Dutch or the Irish court is competent and applicable in claims relating to fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Represented Vert Asia in legal proceedings in claims for damages incurred by an Asian factory due to breach of contract and tort.
- Represented Weaver in joint legal proceedings against a law firm for damages due to breach of professional duty of care.
Taylor Wessing LLP
Experienced litigator Wim Maas leads Taylor Wessing's Benelux litigation group, which includes the Dutch office and is known for its work in complex technology disputes. Nick Kampschreur focuses on financial and investment issues. Counsels Vera Jurgens and Mark Goorts are also key contacts, specialising in insolvency and corporate disputes respectively.
Other key lawyers:
Nick Kampschreur; Vera Jurgens; Mark Goorts; Tim Wijgergans; Tim Mimpen
Van Loon Groep
Healthcare International Groep
AFA Dispensing Group
One Planet Crowd
Schoenfabriek Wed. J.P. van Bommel
ECOR Global Inc. and subsidiaries
ThyssenKrupp Presta AG
Van Beo Group
- Assisted the Dutch Ministry of Health and the Municipal Health Services with analysing corona tests and commencing preliminary injunction proceedings.
- Acted for Van Loon Group and its subsidiaries in a dispute with FrieslandCampina Nederland B.V., which accused Van Loon of infringing several patents with regard to the production of meat substitutes.
- Assisted Leen Bakker with terminating its franchise agreements in the Netherlands.
Van der Feltz Advocaten
Van der Feltz Advocaten‘s dispute resolution and Supreme Court litigation group is jointly led by Supreme Court litigator Ruben Wiegerink and expert in water, pipeline and cable systems disputes Jacques Sluysmans. The group is particularly active in the construction, government, energy and industrials sectors and handles public, civil and criminal law issues.
Jacques Sluysmans; Ruben Wiegerink
Magazijn De Bijenkorf B.V.
Stedin Netbeheer B.V.
Boele & van Eesteren B.V.
Gebr. Van Kessel Speciale Technieken en Producten B.V.
Intégrale Gemeenschappelijke Verzekeringskas
- Acted for Intégrale Gemeenschappelijke Verzekeringskas, currently called ‘Monument Assurance Belgium SA’ in compensation proceedings relating to a bank expropriation decision made by the Dutch Minister of Finance in 2013.
- Advised Kennemerland Beheer regarding the expropriation of its parcel parts.
- Representing a Dutch fast-food chain in a Supreme Court case relating to terminating the lease of a franchisee on the grounds of “urgent own use”.