Allen & Overy LLP is a 'super-power' among litigation teams, fielding seven partners and 32 associates in Amsterdam to handle some of the most high-profile corporate battles in the country. They include acting for Mediaset in its dispute with Vivendi, where advice is led by Richard de Haan who took the baton as head of the practice from Marieke van Hooijdonk in 2020. The team also boasts the expertise of top trial lawyer Arnold Croiset van Uchelen and 'fantastic' Brechje van der Velden, who is an 'outstanding litigator'.
Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Richard de Haan
Other key lawyers:
Arnold Croiset van Uchelen; Brechje van der Velden; Hendrik Jan Biemond
‘Allen & Overy’s Marieke van Hooijdonk and Joanne Bruins are both very knowledgeable lawyers who inform us on time about the steps to be taken. If something is unclear, direct contact is made in a pleasant atmosphere to clarify matters.’
‘Joanne Bruins is friendly, with a clear voice, a lot of knowledge, works systematically according to a clear schedule and clear timelines. The cooperation in our contact is very pleasant. It gives me the feeling that as a customer I am taken seriously – no haughty attitude, but rather a cooperative attitude that you as a customer need in various matters.’
‘A&O’s dispute resolution and commercial litigation continues to deliver on a very efficient formation of a complementary team – both from a skills/expertise and seniority perspective. When needed the partner acts, but associates are very effective.’
‘It is all in the relationship: very pleasant to work with, doing their work with pleasure (fun is important). I believe that A&O leaves its teams sufficient space for a healthy work/life balance, which increases the commitment and drive-to-win attitude, whether that is litigation or other subject matter practices. I feel the team spirit in working on cases. ’
‘Clearly a top practice, they are some of the best litigators in the Netherlands, a super power. Marieke van Hooijdonk: a very strong practitioner, excellent tactician and advocate, massively persuasive. Her advocacy is clear and persuasive. Hilde van der Baan: she is all over the facts of a case, a sharp and clever advocate giving clear advice on matters of strategy. Very receptive of client needs and prompt responses. Thijs Geesink, not a partner (as yet), a true rising star in my view – he learns from the best.’
‘Allen & Overy has an excellent litigation-team, top tier, one of the best Dutch firms as regards corporate litigation. In addition to their legal skills, they are very pleasant to work with, down-to-earth, and with a practical attitude. Nice, relaxed people.’
‘Arnold Croiset: outstanding, very experienced, top litigator. Richard de Haan: originally educated by Arnold Croiset, lawyer of the Dutch State in several (lower courts) cases resulting from major conflicts in the credit crunch, but also handles big corporate disputes, excellent litigator, pleasant to work with, down-to-earth. Bregje van der Velden: nice person, outstanding litigator in financial cases for example, is also managing partner. Outstanding associates: Willem Smeent, Damiaan Tilanus.’
‘Richard de Haan is clear, concise and commercial in approach. Gives one a lot of confidence on discussions regarding the merits of a case. Tea Minovic – associate working on same cases – is hard working and pro-active, plus thoughtful.’
The Dutch State
- Representing Mediaset, the Italian and Spanish media company controlled by the Berlusconi family, in multi-jurisdictional litigation against minority shareholder Vivendi, in relation to the proposed cross-border intra-group merger and transfer of the statutory seat of the Mediaset Group to the Netherlands.
- Representing Pon’s Autmobielhandel, a Dutch car importer, in a collective action launched against it and others by Stichting Volkswagen Car Claim, relating to the alleged Volkswagen emissions scandal.
- Representing ING Bank in multiple legal proceedings against (former) customers of which ING Bank has terminated their banking relationship due to integrity risks. These proceedings are of strategic concern for ING Bank (and other banks) given the increased focus on the requirements for banks to monitor client relationships on integrity risks.
Based in The Hague, BarentsKrans is renowned for its specialist Supreme Court unit led by 'real authority' Rieme-Jan Tjittes, but also excels in high-profile corporate and commercial litigation and commercial contracts disputes on behalf of a largely claimant client base. Co-practice head Martijn van Maanen is leading advice to several hundred claimant corporations, including HP, Unilever and Novartis, in the high-profile air cargo cartel class action, while William Schonewille leads on financial litigation, including privacy and data breach class actions. Roeland De Mol is another name to note.
Martijn van Maanen; Rieme-Jan Tjittes; William Schonewille
Other key lawyers:
Roeland de Mol
‘We have worked with Roeland de Mol and Marjolein van Rest. They were a good team and very complementary. Hands-on, proactive and available. Good and clear communicators. ’
‘Roeland de Mol (partner) and Marjolein (associate) are intelligent lawyers, strategic thinkers (which was important in the delicate case they dealt with) and were nice to work with, especially when pressure was going up.’
‘Excellent combination of academic skills and pragmatic and practical approach.’
‘Rieme-Jan Tjittes has a pragmatic approach and is a real authority in international commercial contracts in The Netherlands; very pleasant always to work with. ’
Supreme Headquarters Allied Power Europe (SHAPE)
European Patent Organization (EPO)
Claims Funding Europe
Macedonian Thrace Brewery
Fox Networks (The Walt Disney Group)
Cartel Damages Claims
The State of the Netherlands
Curacao Airport Partners N.V.
NEVEDI (Nederlandse Vereniging Diervoederindustrie)
- Representing the interests of several hundred corporations, including multinationals (HP, Unilever, Novartis, Ericsson, Philips, Canon, Motorola, etc.) in seeking compensation from the members of the Air Cargo Cartel.
- Acting as counsel to Fox Networks in a dispute with Ziggo about the distribution of Premier League Soccer (national and international) on TV in the Netherlands.
- Representing the shareholders of Steinhoff in relation to alleged market abuse in June 2019.
With the 'biggest and brightest group of lawyers who work on complex commercial litigation in The Netherlands', home-grown international firm De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek dominates in terms of resources and caseload, fielding over 100 litigators in Amsterdam alone. Clients highlight the seamless collaboration between its litigators and other specialist departments, attracting the most high-profile, high-value and sensitive disputes domestically and overseas. The team is led by Edward van Geuns who is leading advice to Vivendi in its dispute against Mediaset. Daan Beenders is also highlighted as an 'ideal advisor'.
Edward van Geuns
Other key lawyers:
Jan de Bie Leuveling Tjeenk; Daan Beenders; Eelco Meerdink
‘Total dedication to the client’s case, even though the subject-matter of the case could have been unpopular on the market. Full determination to succeed on appeal after an unfavourable first instance decision. Partners have a hands-on approach and direct engagement in brainstorming and executing legal and litigation strategies and there is seamless integration between litigation and corporate law teams.’
‘Edwad van Geuns and Sven Dumoulin stood out on this assignment, thanks to their complete personal dedication to the design and execution of the litigation strategy, brief writing and courtroom skills.’
‘The effortless cross-practice cooperation between the competition and litigation departments, the sheer number of associates they are able to dedicate to our matter and the willingnes to work around the clock are unprecedented. De Brauw has the biggest and brightest group of lawyers that works on complex commercial litigation in The Netherlands and, also due to its best friends network, can easily compete in Europe with the UK magic circle firms or other big players in the market.’
‘Jolling de Pree’s competition knowledge and expert guidance on both Dutch as well as European competition issues is top-notch, best in class. Machteld de Monchy has superb client skills and a keen insight into all issues that are relevant for the client, whether big or small. She is also able to manage a complex multi-jurisdictional litigation matter, which is not a given for a lawyer. Helen Gornall was rightfully promoted to partner this year. She provides good competition knowledge with above standard project management skills and, always important, a pleasant and outgoing personality. Kees Saarloos is a counsel you would want to have on your team anyday: unprecedented attention for details and facts and always willing to go the extra mile. Tilly Alberga Smits is partner material: very knowledgeable and someone who always stays calm under intense pressure. Stand out associates are Georgiana Mirza and Irina Popov. They are exceptionally good in handling clients (especially given their lack of seniority and the male-orientated industry of their client) and seem to be working 24/7. ’
‘Great knowledge and experience in ligitation. In my opinion a top-class litigation team. Jeroen van der Schrieck is a great litigator. He is creative, sharp-minded, dedicated and has a calm but convincing litigation style.’
‘The team really regards the case as a whole, connecting legal arguments, facts and a strong narrative and thus builds a case that can withstands most arguments and changes in momentum. Constantly challenges its own argument and strategy and thus always aiming at improving its work for the client. Machteld de Monchy, extremly quick thinker, points right to the paint-points of the legal argument at stake, even in a foreign jurisdiction.’
‘The team has a deep understanding of our business. The team always oversees the bigger picture and consistently delivers high quality practical legal advice.’
‘Daan Beenders has been our go-to partner for a long time now. His profound legal knowledge, strategic talent and commercial savviness make him an ideal advisor. In addition, he is highly accessible and responsive, and a lot of fun to work with. Andries Polkerman and Malte Malycha are highly-talented senior associates in the team, consistently outperforming our expectations.’
PACCAR and DAF Group
Yukos Oil Company
(Former) SNS REAAL
Royal Dutch Shell
Several representatives of the transgender community
Enel S.p.A. and EnelPower S.p.A.
Centerbridge Partners Europe
Shareholder committee of the 44 Dutch municipalities which hold shares in Eneco Holding
J&C Acquisition Holding
Defence for Children, Nederlands Juristen Comité voorde Mensenrechten (NJCM)
- Advising the DAG Group as lead counsel in 20 jurisdictions in one of the most complex mass claims in Europe.
- Respresenting Nissan’s interests in the high-profile and politically delicate global litigation battle between Nissan and its former director and now Interpol-listed, Carlos Ghosn.
- Advising the former SNS REAAL in the unique case of the expropriation of a national bank.
Houthoff's substantial team leads the way in the defence of major class actions, Supreme Court litigation and high-end corporate and financial disputes. It is the firm of choice for an array of leading international law firms requiring Dutch disputes collaboration. Acting alongside Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton in defending Petrobras in a securities class action, advice at the firm led by highly-rated Albert Knigge. Other key client partners include Rob Meijer, Jan Willem de Groot and recently made-up partners Rick Cornelissen and David Heems, among others.
Albert Knigge; Dirk Knottenbelt; Bart van der Wiel
Other key lawyers:
Rob Meijer; Jan Willem de Groot; Rick Cornelissen; David Heems
‘Analytical thinkers, easy to communicate with, keep their promises.’
‘Smart lawyers who understand what is relevant to the client.’
Aurelius Capital Management
Huntington Ingalls Industries
Nederlandse Spoorwegen (NS)
Sligro Food Group
- Defending Petrobras in a securities class action submitted by the mass claims vehicle Stichting Petrobras Compensation Foundation allegedly representing a worldwide class of holders of securities (US investors excluded) who claim to have suffered financial loss as a result of alleged fraud within the Petrobras group during 2004 – 2014.
- Acting for the Russian Federation in the annulment procedure in the Dutch court of the ECT arbitration awards of 2009 and 2014 against the Russian Federation of $50bn and in favour of the claimants, three former shareholders of former Yukos Oil, representing a majority of the shares, and advising on enforcement of those Yukos awards abroad.
- Acting on behalf of AlbaniaBEG in its cross-border litigation against Italian energy giant ENEL regarding a largescale joint venture project in Albania.
A 'great team of litigators' at NautaDutilh is co-led by pre-eminent coporate litigator Paul Olden, who is 'extremely knowledgeable' and 'fun' to work with, and 'very smart litigator' Rutger Kalsbeek. Other practice stars include head of the Supreme Court litigation team Freerk Vermeulen, who was successful on behalf of environmental group the Urgenda Foundation in its globally signficant climate change case against the Dutch state. Kasper Krzeminski is strong in commercial and contract disputes, while the more junior Frans Overkleeft attracts plaudits for his M&A disputes capability.
Paul Olden; Rutger Kalsbeek
Other key lawyers:
Freerk Vermeulen: Kasper Krzeminski; Frans Overkleeft
‘NautaDutilh has deep legal knowledge, experience and initiative. Its leaders listen carefully to client’s wishes but are not afraid to put forward an alternative strategy. Two partners in particular, Paul Olden and Robert van Gallen, take an extraordinary interest in, and show strong commitment to, the case of the client.’
‘Paul Olden, David Vietor and Marieke Faber were extremely committed, availible during the weekend and their holidays. Very dedicated and always with a smile, working with them was also great fun! Paul Olden is very to the point, extremely knowledgeable, with lots of humour.’
‘They are a proper outfit with years and years of litigation experience. Rutger Kalsbeek is a very smart litigator. ’
‘Great team of litigators, especially Frans Overkleeft, Paul Olden and Robert van Galen. Exceptional quality of work, content wise but also experts in litigation tactics. Hands-on and always available, can deliver very fast. Can-do mentality.’
‘Frans Overkleeft is a very smart litigator with in-depth knowledge of corporate and commercial litigation. Frans is an expert in corporate law, particularly in the field of public and private M&A, which makes him stand-out compared to experts at other firms when it comes to M&A-related litigation. Very good in strategy and tactics, thinks multiple steps ahead of the game. When handling a major court case, Frans never loses the big picture, while keeping an eye for important details. He is hands-on. A pleasure to work with. Frans is recognized by his peers as a top notch legal professional, being a reputable speaker at important legal conventions and publishing regularly in important legal literature. He is one of the very best in his area of expertise. Works on high-profile cases. ’
‘The team is large and covers all the commercial disputes specialism that one would expect of a firm in London or New York. They a very attuned to the needs of international clients and it is recognisable as a international law firm (with all the expectations that brings) rather than a Dutch firm. It means that collaboration with them is smooth.’
‘They have eminent individuals in the fields we need, for example Freerk Vermeulen for appellate court work (where, in Holland, a specialist is required) and Barbara Rumora Scheltema for arbitration. Frans Overkleft is an outstanding junior partner with an excellent service ethos. They also work well in cross-disciplinary teams. On two occasions, I have worked on matters with them where one of the team members was an M&A partner. This has been invaluable.’
Royal Dutch Shell
Nederlandse Spoorwegen (Dutch Railways/NS)
- Advising the Dutch audit member firm of Deloitte on various issues that have arisen in relation its audit activities for Steinhoff International Holdings, and representing Deloitte in investor claims proceedings that have been brought by VEB, a special interest group for Dutch investors.
- Representing Moldovan businessmen Anatoli and Gabriel Stati in their ongoing attempts to enforce a $530m Energy Charter Treaty award against Kazakhstan and against its sovereign wealth fund Samruk-Kazyna JSC.
- Acting for Urgenda in landmark climate change proceedings before the Dutch Supreme Court.
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is 'very, very strong - their advice is clear, considered and strategic'. It is the firm of choice for State and local government, attracting instructions on many of the most prominant disputes in the country, including the Urgenda case on climate change. Such is the expertise, the firm attracts an equally impressive client base of company giants, such as Royal Dutch Shell, Daimler and Glencore. 'Very skilled' Supreme Court litigator Hans van Wijk and 'clearly at the top of his game' Willem Heemskerk head the practice.
Hans van Wijk; Willem Heemskerk
Other key lawyers:
Karlijn Teuben; Wemmeke Wisman; Martijn Scheltema
‘The team I worked with was complementary: different expertise, capabilities and characters, needed in a complex legal case.’
‘Willem Heemskerk as a partner was able to oversee the case as a whole with all different legal and complex issues. He was also very helpful in explaining the main, most important topics in a comprehensive way to the board of directors and supervisory board. His social skills are excellent. Martijn Kloppenburg has excellent analytical skills. He easily dives into technical issues, necessary to understand the legal case. Ameer Mohammed is a lawyer you can rely on, solid in his legal opinion and very accessible as a person. ’
‘We worked together with Martijn Scheltema and Sikke Kingma on a cassation before the Supreme Court of The Hague. They are a top-notch team. Martijn and Sikke were very responsive. They have in-depth knowledge of the matter at hand. ’
‘The Pels’ commercial litigation practice is very reputable and especially excels in its Supreme Court litigation. Hans van Wijk has been a long-time partner for us, handling our Supreme Court litigation. We find him very skilled and very pleasant to work with.’
‘Pels Rijcken is unique in its great experience with litigation for central and local government in the Netherlands. They combine high quality legal plus excellent procedural knowledge with the right sensitivity in representing the central government and other public authorities. They have a set of excellent litigators. A stand-out partner is Karlijn Teuben. Over the years she has represented us in high-profile and sensitive liability and compensation procedures (e.g. military interventions and the colonial past). Karlijn is an expert in civil procedures and has high quality knowledge on past and present law, both in Dutch and in international law. She has an outstanding performance in court where she delivers the message with empathy.’
‘Unique knowledge of governmental issues. Reimer Veldhuis is making an outstanding name for himself and Elisabeth Pietermaat is always available for quality help and advice. ’
‘Exceptionally skilled, collaborative and efficient. I know partner Wemmeke Wisman as an excellent litigator with a deep knowledge of and vast experience in Dutch procedural law. She is both technically and strategically exceptionally strong, has an impressive appreciation and understanding of the issues at stake, is extremely sharp-minded, highly committed, flexible, responsive and collaborative, comes very well prepared, and is an absolute pleasure to work with.’
‘The litigation team at Pels is very, very strong – their advice is clear, considered and strategic. They are a pleasure to work with and we have been very impressed with their advice and how they have navigated complex, multi-party proceedings. Willem Heemskerk is clearly at the top of his game: clear, calm and effective. He inspires confidence. Raimond Dufour is a very impressive senior associate and one to watch for the future. He is clearly very bright, client-oriented and thinks strategically and commercially.’
Royal Bank of Scotland
Franchisees Albert Heijn
Authority for Consumers and Markets
Royal Dutch Shell
CNA Insurance company Europe
State of the Netherlands
Municipalities of Amsterdam, The Hague and Rotterdam
Financial supervisory agencies: the Dutch Central Bank and the Dutch Authority for the Financial Markets
- Representing Royal Dutch Shell in court proceedings in the highly-publicised ‘Ogoni 9 activists’ claim, relating to events in Nigeria in 1995.
- Acting for German multinational automotive corporation Daimler in the largest cartel follow-on damages action in the Netherlands, handling almost 40 mass claims brought by claim vehicles.
- Representing the Dutch State in the internationally landmark case against the Urgenda Foundation, regarding climate change.
Nine partners at Stibbe lead a vast bench of associates in a broad spectrum of litigation, with strong collabaration from across the firm for specialist areas, such as competition law and banking and finance litigation. It is a leading force in defending mass claims, such as the headline diesel emissions dispute, while other high-profile work includes the air cargo and trucks anti-trust cases. Fons Leijten is a market-leading corporate litigator, who co-leads the practice alongside international litigation specialist Jeroen Kortmann.
Jeroen Kortmann; Fons Leijten
Other key lawyers:
Tim de Greve; Matthijs Kuijpers: Branda Katan
‘A good and solid firm, doing a lot of complaints/cases related to derivatives and repricing, to our satisfaction, very reliable, very good.’
‘I would like to point out Tim de Greve, a counsellor I have a lot of faith in. He puts in a lot of energy and quality, always aiming for the maximum result, an outstanding lawyer in my view.’
‘I collaborate with Stibbe’s litigation team for complex international dispute resolution matters. Their team is quite capable in handling the factual information and documents related to complicated securities transaction and securities class action. They are mindful of the cultural differences with Asian jurisdictions and outstandingly nice and cooperative with foreign lawyers and clients.’
‘I work with Matthijs Kuijpers, an excellent litigation partner of the team. He is thoughtful and responsive, understanding the issues that foreign lawyers or clients often confront. He can always provide creative solutions for such issues.’
Suzuki Motor Corporation
MAN Truck & Bus (part of Volkswagen)
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
ABN AMRO Bank
McCourt Global Sports and Media LLC
Vantage Drilling International
Asset management company
- Defending Daimler/Mercedes Benz and Suzuki in the first large commercial ‘class actions’ under the new Dutch collective action regime concerning the European diesel emission scandal.
- Defending MAN, Heineken, Royal Dutch Airlines KLM and Prysmian in separate international antitrust damage suits in the Netherlands, including the first large Dutch damages litigation in a case of alleged abuse of dominance, acting for Heineken.
- Advising RWE, Engie and Uniper in litigation originating from the energy transition discussions pending around the world. The current disputes relate to the use of biomass fuel and the forced closure of large coal-fired power stations.
'Outstanding at building a network of valuable relationships', AKD is acting for claimants in both the emissions and truck cartel class actions, and handles a broad range of corporate, financial and commercial litigation for well-known domestic and international companies. Practice head Patrick Haas is 'highly commercial' and leads a big team of litigators, including bankruptcy specialist Paul Peters , Guido Vergouwen, who are both noted as 'outstanding', and experienced insolvency partner Barend de Roy van Zuidewijn.
Other key lawyers:
Barend de Roy van Zuidewijn; Paul Peters; Guido Vergouwen
‘I have personally been involved in two very complex sophisticated cases of high value involving issues of international jurisdiction, governing law, and EU vs domestic law issues. The approach was legally sophisticated and subtle, but at the same time very close to the practical and commercial expectations of clients. An excellent, seamlessly-working professional relationship! ’
‘There are two partner litigators that I would particularly like to mention, both outstanding for competence, pace of work, speed and depth of understanding and pleasantness of relationship: Guido Vergouwen and Patrick Haas.’
‘AKD have been excellent in building and managing two cases for us, with the potential to do many more. They are highly commercial and outstanding at building a network of valuable relationships.’
‘Patrick Haas is as much an entrepreneur as he is a lawyer, always looking for new opportunities and highly commercial in his approach. Critically, he backs this up by being a very strong lawyer, on top of the legal, factual and procedural issues in each case. He inspires confidence. He is very ably supported by Jeffrey Kleywegt, who runs the cases with great efficiency and skill.’
Stichting vehicle claims
Endemol Shine Group
Royal Imtech (in bankruptcy)
Centraal Beheer Achmea
Works Council Eneco N.V.
Erasmus Medisch Centrum Rotterdam
Neways Electronics International
Value Enhancement Partners
Cerberus Capital Management
VIEO (Lebara Group)
- Acting for Stichting Car Claim, which represents the interests of 180,000 Dutch car owners, in collective redress cases in relation to the Dieselgate scandal, most notably the ongoing litigation against Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda, Seat, Bosch, Dutch dealers and Dutch importer Pon.
- Representing a large investment company in the energy sector in various litigation and arbitration proceedings against its joint venture partner related to a multimillion-euro dispute concerning one of its foreign investments.
- Represented a telecom company and its shareholders in a dispute related to the enforcement of security rights granted to the holders of notes issued on the Nordic high-yield market for an amount of €350m.
An enviable client list at Baker McKenzie includes multiple domestic and international blue chip companies, attracted to the firm's strong track record in disputes-related export control/trade sanctions, cartels, class actions and general corporate and commercial litigation. Much-admired Supreme Court litigator Frank Kroes has taken over the leadership of the team from Robert van Agteren, both partners also noted for their arbitration expertise. Other key names include experienced corporate and commercial litigator Itse Oosterhoff.
Other key lawyers:
Robert van Agteren; Itse Oosterhoff
‘The litigation team at Baker McKenzie Amsterdam has strong litigators, who work together well with experts from other practice areas and other offices of Baker McKenzie as needed.’
‘Frank Kroes is a very good litigator. His legal analysis is razor-sharp and his work is quick. His experience and skill are very impressive. He works well with co-counsel internally and externally, making him a pleasure to work with, and adding to the efficiency of his work.’
Archer Daniels Midland (ADM)
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Public Transportation Board of the City of Amsterdam (GVB)
- Successfully represented Amsterdam stock exchange listed construction company VolkerWessels’ subsidiary Visser & Smit Hanab in a significant post-M&A dispute with Stedin Holding.
- Defending GVB in the Supreme Court in a dispute brought by a well-known former director following a company internal investigation and fraud allegations in the media.
- Representing Emerson in regular court proceedings in a trade compliance dispute with a Hong Kong-based customer.
Based in The Hague to service its large TMT client base, Bird & Bird shines in the high-tech and regulated industries sectors, in particular, technology, media and telecoms, as well as liability/insurance litigation. Another niche strength of the practice is internal compliance investigations. The team is co-lead by 'outstanding lawyer' Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa and media specialist Olaf Trojan, and was boosted by the hire of third partner Johan Polet from Simmons & Simmons in 2020, a good fit given his financial and TMT litigation and arbitration experience.
Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa; Olaf Trojan
Other key lawyers:
‘Creative in finding a defence, very good in determing the strategy, knowledgeable and great support.’
‘Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa is an outstanding lawyer, to the point, with very strong legal skills and knowledge.’
‘I have found Bird & Bird Netherlands to be extremely skilled, responsive and creative. In the disputes team I have dealt with Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa. I’ve also dealt with Marjolein Geus in the tech team, who is an absolute star and regulatory guru. They are also highly cost-effective. ’
‘Bird & Bird is a great law firm for telecommunications and adjacent issues. Partners and associates are friendly and competent, are usually widely available, make use of global knowledge and share this knowledge in specific sessions in forums or one-on-one.’
‘Partners I work with are not only professionally competent but also socially, willing to share more than just professional experience. The company itself has social engagement in its agenda, making it very pleasant to work with.’
‘The members of the team I have met are proactive, with a very good business sense. They immediately sense what kind of advice is needed.’
‘Evelyn Tjon-en-Fa is one of the most intelligent lawyers I have worked with. Not only does she grasp complex technology within a split second, which makes it easier to explain the nature of a conflict, but she also has a sharp political and business sense, which makes her the perfect partner to work with as an in-house lawyer. ’
‘Very pro-active, excellent planning, good energy and up to speed. Evelyn Tjon-en-Fa is a fighter – very focused, fully on top of the case, good analytical skills. Marieke van den Heuvel is thorough and hard working, a good team player.’
Aso Forge International
Ihlas Holding A.S.
Large Dutch construction companies
Intellectual Property Agency for the Benelux (Benelux Merkenbureau)
- Representing Tele2 in a landmark civil litigation case against KPN regarding telecom tariffs, before the Dutch Supreme Court.
- Representing Ablyinx in a civil litigation proceedings against Unilever before the Dutch Supreme Court regarding the ‘Nanobody’-technology patents and scope of certain licenses.
- Representing Kaspersky Lab in a regulatory litigation against the State of The Netherlands before the Court of Utrecht, concerning the State’s decision to ban Kaspersky Lab’s antivirus software for security reasons.
Dirk-Jan Duynstee and aribtrator Juliette Luycks lead a 'top-of-the-bill' disputes practice at Clifford Chance which is particularly dominant in high-level insolvency litigation. Duynstee, a 'fantastic defence counsel', is leading advice to the Dutch State in respect of a claim brought by the former CEO of DNB following the bank's bankruptcy. The hire of partner Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer from top-tier NautaDutilh adds valuable fire power to the practice, along with key instructions, such as defending Deloitte Accountants in a malpractice claim brought by Steinhoff International.
Dirk-Jan Duynstee; Juliette Luycks
Other key lawyers:
Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer
‘The most important qualities of those lawyers are the responsiveness, the orientation to business and the professionalism.’
‘Very knowlegable team operating according to the highest standards of service. Dirk-Jan Duynstee is a great strategist with the ability to very efficiently achieve the commercial goals. He is also a fantastic lead defence counsel in international disputes when the stakes are high. The recent arrival of Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer is also very postive. He is top-notch in defending and settling mass damages claims ’
‘The team is qualified, quick to understand the very specific facts around the software branch and very focused on building a relationship. Dirk-Jan Duynstee stands out for his ability to truly advise on the best approach/course of action. He is not afraid to take a stance.’
‘Good people, high quality, both from a legal and strategic perpsctive, very accessible, top of the bill and comparable to other firms we work with. The entire team is very good, but both Evert Verwey and DJ Duynstee are truly outstanding, in all ways, great to work with.’
‘The strongest point of the firm is the knowledge, ability to deal with complex multijurisdictional cases, the level of experience of the professionals involved in combinaiton with a personal touch when dealing with the case.’
‘Excellent team. Easy to work with. Down-to-earth and strategic approach. Dirk-Jan Duynstee is an excellent/creative litigator and fun to work with. He is to the point and easy going even under difficult circumstances.’
‘Dynamic, sharp and unafraid of hard conflict, this team is an ideal partner for the toughest disputes. Jeroen Owehand and Jeroen Regouw are agile and dynamic, skilled in asserting a client’s legal position and always closely aligned with client goals.’
‘We used the team for Dutch insolvency law advice regarding a key supplier. Flexible team, staffed to the appropriate level of seniority, which provided astute, clear, pragmatic and commercially realistic advice and support.’
The Dutch Ministry of Finance (Staat der Nederlanden – Ministerie van Financiën)
Lucerne Capital Management
Louis Dreyfus Company
- Representing the Dutch Minstry of Finance in a €850m claim brought by the former CEO of DNB following the bankrupcty of the bank.
- Defending Deloitte Accountants (Netherlands) in respect of cross-border collective claims brought by creditors and shareholders of Steinhoff International Holdings alleging audit malpractice.
- Defending a major financial institution in respect of a €840m claim filed by the largest Dutch housing corporation in relation to derivative transactions.
DLA Piper offers a 'very high level of expertise', particularly in the area of corporate and financial litigation. A high quality client base of international and domestic heavyweights include Gazprom, Airbus and ING Bank - it is advising the latter in pending Supreme Court litigation against former clients Van Doorn Trust Group. Practice head Ewald Netten is highly regarded for his financial services disputes practice, as is Paul Hopman, while Léon Korsten specialises in competition and antitrust litigation, where he is global practice head.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Hopman; Léon Korsten; Marnix Holtzer
‘Quick and alert response. A very high level of expertise. Always thinking in terms of opportunities. Very accessible for us as a client. The communication with us is to-the-point and transparent. The team is very professional and thinks pro-actively along with us and the issues which are relevant for our company.’
‘Léon Korsten is very alert and with a great deal of persuasion in arguing with opponents in court sessions, always with powerful substantive arguments. Martijn Van Wanroij has a keen eye for relevant detail in (the preparation of) legal procedures, without losing track of the main legally relevant message.’
‘Great time management, high quality people, very pleasant to work with, very solid and providing maximum comfort.’
‘The entire team is great, but I would like emphasise Ewald Netten, which I have known for a long time, top-of-the-bill, never letting down or disappointing us, extremely good. The same goes for a star, Simone Zwartenkot, highly talented, we expect a lot from her as well.’
‘The team consists of a group of smart, sharp and clear lawyers with pleasant and straightforward communication.’
‘Michiel Coenraads is always looking to find a mutual ground and finding ways to get to a solution without losing sight of our interest; he is open in describing the different ways, and is clear in what he thinks will be the best way to get there.’
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Dredging, Environmental and Marine Engineering (DEME)
Crossroads Real Estate
- Represented Airbus in a dispute with supplier Spacetec in relation to the Ariane 6 rocket, value €70m.
- Successfully represented Aberdeen Standard Investment’s SPV EPFG (NL) Logistics in proceedings against SCHREG in relation to a turnkey purchase agreement for a €27m logistics centre in the south of the Netherlands.
- Representing ING Bank in pending Supreme Court proceedings against the Van Doorn Trust Group, a group of former clients, regarding allegations of a fraudulent conspiracy.
Litigation boutique Evers Soerjatin handles an impressive market share of high-end corporate and commercial disputes on behalf of some major-league clients. It is particularly prominent before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeal, but is also instructed in an array of high-profile class actions, including the vehicle emissions and air cargo claims. The firm's five partners include much-praised Marcel Evers, noted for his technical expertise as well as courtroom delivery, who co-leads the practice alongside Ellen Soerjatin and Stein van Thiel.
Ellen Soerjatin; Marcel Evers; Stein van Thiel
Other key lawyers:
Jonas Verheul; Jessica de Rooij
‘Evers Soerjatin is one of the few high-quality litigation boutiques in the Netherlands. They handle a lot of Court of Appeal Enterprise Chamber disputes in an efficient and successful way. Of the boutiques in the market they lead the field, especially in Enterprise Chamber disputes. Marcel Evers stands out in the firm, has lots of experience and is well-versed in shareholder disputes before the Enterprise Chamber. Hard working and enjoys his work. Young and up-and-coming is Jonas Verheul, who is doing a great job in increasing his profile.’
‘The teamwork and internal communication is very good, all lawyers are always up-to-date with developments and make themselves available when needed. Sound, broad and deep legal knowledge combined with a pragmatic approach.’
‘Marcel Evers is a pleasure to work with. He has a very sharp legal mind, has broad and deep legal knowledge, understands tax and finance matters and has a practical approach. He can be both aggressive and compromising when needed. Although he is in demand, he is always there when you really need him.’
‘Marcel Evers and his team have delivered precisely the high quality service we were looking for in a considerable transactional dispute. The no-nonsense style and short communication lines have definitely contributed to our success dealing with the matter. High points are the clear communication and availability, practically 24/7. ’
‘Strong dedicated team, that has the ability to get to the core of a dispute quickly and act on it. They are comforting in giving you as a client the feeling that the case is in good hands with them and are strong in legal technicalities and acting fast on it in court. The team also has a pragmatic approach to execute solutions.’
‘Marcel Evers is technically very strong: strong debating skills, quick to bring down discussion to core elements and core concerns for the client. Good energy and positive attitude. Jonas Verheul is an emphatic lawyer, willing to reflect on all sides of the dispute. Has a pragmatic and sincere approach. ’
‘A tightly-knit team of streetwise yet 100% professional litigators, very flexible and highly commited to the outcome. Marcel Evers: litigator pur sang, always stays calm and unfazed, very quick on his feet in the courtroom. Jasper Wonders: will dig for the detail and find it, knows the complete file by heart.’
‘The teams is very diverse in skills which enables them to bring in the right expertise tailored to a situation or project. They are well connected and are able to engage peers when needed. The individuals are accessible and very flexible and responsive.’
All Volkswagen, SEAT, Skoda and Audi dealers in the Netherlands
United Dutch Breweries
Triodos Impact Strategies II – Triodos Organic Growth Fund
Digital Media Centre
- Representing all Dutch Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Škoda and Porsche dealers in the collective actions initiated by Stichting Volkswagen Car Claim and Stichting Diesel Emissions Justice on the emission matter.
- Represented Triodos OGF Luxco and Social Impact Ventures in a dispute regarding the sale of the Dutch organic supermarket chain Marqt to Udea Holding.
- Representing international airline Asiana Airlines in the cartel damages claim proceedings before the Amsterdam District Court
Loyens & Loeff continues to gain market share, particularly within the Netherlands' burgeoning class action market. The firm is defending ICAP in the internationally-significant mass claim brought by Stichting Elco Foundation concerning alleged manipulation of interest rate benchmarks. Matters handled include corporate, commercial and financial litigation, white collar crime, insolvency and restructuring disputes and tax litigation. Practice co-heads Sidney Berendsen and Mijke Sinninghe Damsté are both highly rated, as is insolvency and restructuring partner Vincent Vroom. Huib Schrama is a notable senior associate.
Sidney Berendsen; Mijke Sinninghe Damsté
Other key lawyers:
Vincent Vroom; Huib Schrama
‘Well established commercial litigation team, broad variety of cases and sectors. Solid. Huib Schrama is a very talented senior associate.’
‘We are working with Loyens & Loeff on a complicated class-action litigation filed in Amsterdam. Loyens & Loeff does an excellent job of explaining the differences in their legal system compared to ours in the US and helping us to navigate those differences. Their English is impeccable, they have excellent ideas and they are very responsive.’
‘Sidney Berendsen and Huib Schrama are excellent individually and top-notch as a team.’
‘Good and solid litigation practice.’
‘Good combination of legal knowledge, litigation skills and practical approach.’
Pension Fund Rail and Public Transport
- Representing ICAP in its role as broker in a class action brought by Stichting Elco Foundation against four banks and ICAP concerning alleged manipulation of interest rate benchmarks.
- Acting for telecom Zed+ and its independent court-appointed director in inquiry proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal, initiated by shareholders Bambalia Limited and Gelvaser Investments Limited, and in related litigation.
- Acted for Brazilian telecom company Oi in its restructuring of more than $20bn debt and in related multibillion-dollar litigation in the Netherlands initiated by creditors and by a Dutch bankruptcy trustee.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons provides a diverse offering, its combined disputes practice advising on all matters from professional liability, white collar crime and regulatory disputes, to general corporate, commercial and financial litigation. A change in leadership in the team saw Niek Peters, who joined the firm in March 2020, take over from Johan Polet, who moved to Bird & Bird in December 2020. Part-time Court of Appeal judge Robert Verburg is another key practitioner who is recommended for financial disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Their key strengths are not only the legal expertise which you might expect from a firm like Simmons & Simmons, but even more so, their personal and practical approach of the issues at hand. They perform their services with a more practical approach than at other firms we have used.’
‘Robert Verburg is an individual that stands out: his practical approach, paired with his knowledge and experience from also being a judge makes him a perfect lawyer for the dispute resolution practice. He combines both his worlds in the advice given and approach taken.’
Bank of New York Mellon
Energeia Asset Management
Gilde Equity Management
Nippon Cargo Airlines
Tsareva and 32 other individuals
- Representing Ms. Tsareva and 32 other Russian individuals who were misled by two Oligarch brothers to invest in loan notes, with a monetary value exceeding €45m.
- Representing Nippon Cargo Airlines Co. (NCA) in proceedings against KLM, Air France, Lufthansa and British Airways regarding the air cargo cartel, value exceeding €200m.
- Acting for Mazars with regard to professional liability claims relating to alleged erroneous tax advice.
Dispute resolution is a core area of practice at full-service firm Van Doorne, which attracts high-profile instructions from leading domestic and international companies. Clients highlight the team's expertise, professional connections and service delivery, describing practice head Jasper Leedekerken as 'very strategic' with 'superb' client handling skills. Other key partners include Walter Hendriksen, recommended for insurance-related disputes; head of commercial, the 'standout' Lisette Bieleveld; professional liability specialist Simone Hoogeveen; and Sjoerd Kamerbeek.
Other key lawyers:
Walter Hendriksen; Lisette Bieveld; Simone Hoogeveen; Sjoerd Kamerbeek
‘I have worked on numerous Supreme Court appeals with Van Doorne. In my experience the commercial litigation practice of Van Doorne is very solid, good quality and very nice people. I work in particular with Jasper Leedekerken. He is an excellent lawyer, very strategic and well balanced. His client handling skills are superb.’
‘The unique practice at Van Doorne puts forward its openness and opposition to the client’s decisions they believe are not cost-efficient in order to provide the best results to the business.’
‘Attorney-at-law Pieter de Jong Schouwenburg is a profesional litigator and mediator, who stands out in giving cost-efficient advice on litigation and possible solvency of the debtors. Always helps to mediate the settlement between our business and the debtors.’
‘Van Doorne has a continious fresh and stable partnership. They make you feel comfortable, but show their fresh approach each time. Annemieke Hendrikse and Sjoerd Kamerbeek both have extremely high IQ’s.’
‘A very professional, service-oriented team. High expertise, very reliable. Lisette Bieleveld stands out. I have worked with her for many years. She is simply incredibly competent and experienced. It is always a pleasure to work with her. Alexandra Weidner, a senior associate is very fast, very reliable.’
‘Sjoerd Kamerbeek and his team have a robust knowledge of the W&I insurance market and the interaction between concepts of M&A/contract law and insurance law particularly. Experienced team.’
‘Very knowledgeable and connected team, who will keep our interest in mind at all times. Very dedicated and involved/concerned partners within the firm, especially Pieter de Jong Schouwenburg, who always takes the time for you and is very punctual, accurate and creative with his solutions.’
‘This practice has a broad knowledge of the law but also of the economics. This team is on top of your matter, but also fun to work with. Jasper Leederkerken will get quickly to the heart of the matter. He is easy to work with and approachable. The same goes for Sjoerd Kamerbeek. He is a young and intelligent lawyer.’
Dutch State Lottery
Innsworth Advisors Limited
Waarborgfonds Sociale Woningbouw
Mid Europa Partners
Street One and Cecil
Unitel International Holdings B.V., Tokeyna Management Limited
- Advising the Dutch State Lottery on mass damages claims with a total value in excess of €377m, but with potentially billions of euros at stake if the case is unsuccesful.
- Acting for Exem Energy against Sociedade Nacional de Combustíveis de Angola before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeals with respect to investments in an oil and gas company in Portugal, Galp Energia SGPS, with a value of well over €1.5bn.
- Representing KPMG in relation to its role as auditor of the bankrupt Royal Imtech N.V. (Imtech) and resulting multiple liability claims. Imtech is the largest bankruptcy in the Netherlands with a multibillion-euro bankruptcy deficit (and resulting claims)
Frank Peters and Louis Berger at bureau Brandeis have an impressive caseload of high-profile class actions, including the diesel scandal and the Steinhoff case, typically acting for claimants. The versatile team handle a broad spectrum of matters, from climate change litigation to shareholder disputes, for example. Clients appreciate the innovative approach and deep expertise.
Frank Peters; Louis Berger
Other key lawyers:
‘The team of Brandeis is really unique. They are strong in law, but a special strength is to separate the main issue from the dust raised by the opponent. A huge and complicated story is made simple and clear. [Our case] ended in a fantastic victory. ’
‘I’d like to mention Louis Berger (partner) and Floor Eikelboom (senior associate), they are especially good at corporate governance and directors’ liability. And also they have quite a lot experience with other jurisdictions and how to handle this complexity in a most simple and efficient way. ’
‘The expertise is based on extensive experience , the quality of staff is unique, one we can rely on in every specialist field of law within mass claims that we need. The firm is reliable, loyal, affordable and honest. They get things done!’
‘Louis Berger understands complex serious claim issues and translates them into a feasible project; he has the unique skills to deal with various personalities, is an intelligent lawyer, knows how to handle different needs and comprehends complex and various executions of the matter at hand. Ambitious and no arrogance.’
‘Excellent combination of experience and strategic lawyers who have a hands-on mentality. They are a safe pair of hands for their clients. Louis Berger is a very thorough and intelligent lawyer and very pleasant to work with. Louis is very hands on and to the point. Wesley Vader is a very smart and responsive lawyer and very motivated to help his clients.’
‘The Brandeis litigation team has repeatedly shown to be very precise and fast, while flexible enough to come with non-standard solutions. Louis Berger and Floor Eikelenboom form a very high-quality litigation team in several of our cases, and both are very nice people to work with!’
‘Flexibility, innovative approach, out of the box-solutions. Louis Berger, excellent listener and ‘connector’ , adapting to challenging circumstances, very receptive to client’s demand/wishes, understands psychological processes coming with difficult negotiations in international setting with accompanying cultural differences. ’
Financial Recovery Technologies (FRT)
Stichting Truck Cartel Recovery
Stichting Hippo Mundo Charity
Diesel Emissions Justice Foundation
Grant & Eisenhofer
Foundation The Privacy Collective
- Counsel to DEJF, a newly-incorporated claim vehicle, engaged in several diesel fraud cases, among others against Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Daimler.
- Representing South African pension fund PIC and several other institutional investors against Steinhoff and Deloitte, to recover billions of dollars in securities losses caused by fraud.
- Acting for The Privacy Collective, a foundation funded by Innsworth Advisory, in its €10bn class action against Oracle and Salesforce, in view of its structural breaches of GDPR in the Real Time Bidding process.
Michel Deckers leads a 'very sharp team' at Dentons, that includes the consistently praised Anouk Rosielle, noted as 'super smart' and 'the rising star of the team'. The firm handles a core caseload of international corporate and commercial matters, such as shareholder disputes, directors' liability, anti-trust/cartel cases and insolvency issues. It is defending Citco in a class action brought by investors in US hedge fund Fairfield Greenwich Group.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very sharp team that gives realistic analysis of legal discussions. Anouk Rosielle is a very intelligent lawyer with great analytical skills.’
‘The team combines high-quality strategic advice without losing sight of risks and practical consequences. Anouk Rosielle is in my view the star player of the team. Hands-on, practical and does not simply take no for an answer but looks for practical solutions. Furthermore, she is empathetic and loyal, her partnership is more than well deserved.’
‘The Dentons team is very professional and highly knowledgeable. The unique element is that it knows how to combine these skills with very practical and strategical advice and solutions. Besides, it has great value in that the team can easily work together with teams abroad having a global presence. They are a pleasure to work with in difficult cases. Real team players.’
‘Anouk Rosielle is absolutely the rising star in the team. She is a super-smart and witty lawyer, who solves difficult matters in a convenient way. She is the next level partner. Michel Deckers is the éminence grise and the strategist that in the end will win the matter for the client in a good and clever way. ’
‘I would highlight the deep legal knowledge of the team and the creativity of the partners. Having worked with Anouk Rosielle several times, I could see the magnificent way she deals with the cases. Ms. Rosielle and her team are always in control of the situation, providing very sound and confident legal advice. In complex litigation matters, Ms. Rosielle and her team are always a step ahead of the counterparty. What really calls my attention is the way Ms. Rosielle builds the case and its strategy in a very smooth and strong way.’
‘Anouk Rosielle is a bright partner of the firm, with vast experience in complex disputes involving commercial matters. She is very skilled in quickly identifying the relevant points of the case and building the strategy. She has a very sharp mind, which allows her to select the best arguments and evidence to prove the case. She is also capable to adapt strategy very effectively in case something new shows up in the course of the case. Ms. Rosielle is one of the brightest lawyers I have had the pleasure of discussing legal matters over my 15 years of legal practice.’
‘Hands-on, clever and creative. Anouk Rosielle is on the ball, clever, creative and a pleasure to work with. ’
‘Dentons dispute resolution and commercial litigation team members are experts in their own fields and very talented to manage the process of long and complicated case files. They are prospering in understanding the needs and requests of their clients, and conducting their proceesses considering these needs and requests.’
Bio Energie Centrale Cuijk (BECC)
Mr W. de Blauwe
Citco Global Custody, Citco Bank Nederland, Citco Fund Services
Heartland Sweeteners Europe
Shanghai Aerospace Automobile Electronical
Trustee in bankrupcty Eliezer Fishman
Van Gelder Groep B.V.
Dentsply Sirona Inc
PM Principle Marketing Ltd
Mr Isaac. Dabah
- Lead counsel to Citco in a class action of investors in the Fairfield Greenwich Group, a New York-based hedge fund, which had the largest exposure to the Madoff fraud.
- Acting for a former director of Xeikon NV, a Dutch printing company that was subject to high-profile enquiry proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeals of Amsterdam.
- Representing 11 trading companies that form part of Vestel, a Turkish TV appliances manufacturing company. Vestel and its entities are claimants in proceedings in the Netherlands that seek relief for damages from parties that have participated in the cathode ray tube cartel.
Eversheds Sutherland (Netherlands) B.V. continues to expand, hiring Gidget Brugman from leading firm BarentsKrans, who brings valuable financial litigation experience to the team. She joins corporate and commercial litigators Yuri Wehrmeijer and Rob Faasen who co-head the practice, and lead on a variety of domestic and international disputes for some well-known multinationals. Work includes a high-value professional indemnity claim on behalf of Mark Four Enterprises against a rival law firm.
Yuri Wehrmeijer; Rob Faasen
Other key lawyers:
National Joint Stock Company Naftogaz of Ukraine
Mark Four Enterprises
Rolls Royce Marine Benelux
Li & Fung
American Express International
Van Vliet Groep
- Representing Naftogaz in a multi-jurisdictional enforcement of a SSC award
- Representing Sodexo in multiple commercial disputes in the Netherlands
- Representing Mark Four on appeal in a €60m professional liability claim against its former Dutch lawyers concerning ECtHR proceedings.
Corporate law boutique Florent has a highly rated litigation arm, earning roles in some of the country's most high profile class actions, such as the emissions scandal and Steinhoff International Holdings, acting for the former CEO of Volkwagen (VW) and Steinhoff respectively. The practice is co-led by litigator and arbitrator Chris Jager and the much-praised Yvette Borrius, who is 'people and results-oriented' and is leading the firm's advice in the VW case. Senior associate Emille Buziau takes the lead in some significant matters.
Yvette Borrius; Chris Jager
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent process and people management, well connected to every single step in the process, swift and effective communication, expectations of involved parties are well managed. Excellent in de-escalation between involved partners; no surprises.’
‘Easy to work with and strategy-wise a strong team. Associate Emille Buziau is a smart, strong strategist, fast and creative.’
‘They have a pragmatic approach and make sure the right person is on your case; each partner has different specialties and they make sure the right person works on your case to get the job done at a fair price. ’
‘The persons I’ve worked with are very flexible. Yvette Borrius was very reachable which I didn’t expect. Pretty much always answered within a couple of hours also outside office hours. Because of her experience they could very well lay out all scenarios and decide on the next legal action, which eventually resulted in a win. Also Emma van der Minne has done an exceptional job.’
‘In-depth knowledge, extraordinary creativity in finding solutions, truly thinking out of the box. Superb negotiation and analytical skills – drills down to core of the issues (truly listening and asking questions until the core of the issue is found). Ability to create a win-win situation for both sides (some firms tend to focus solely on their own client which frustrates and lengthens negotiations). Yvette Borrius is all have described. If we have a future dispute resolution case I will certainly hire her again. In addition she is extremely intelligent, analytical, balanced, people and results oriented, always available, booking excellent results. I have rarely encountered a partner that is able to think so creatively and out of the box when looking for a solution and then comes up with a solution that is highly beneficial for her client and as well a good solution for the counterparty.’
‘Yvette Borrius is very knowledgeable, involved in all the big cases, a pleasure and fun to work with. Bart Jan Hermans is an eager, knowledgeable and talented associate.’
‘The team is highly skilled and provides high profile advice. Yvette Borrius has a very business-oriented approach, in particular, a deep understanding of the client’s business needs.’
‘Personal contact is very good, as is the follow-up.’
Former CEO of Volkswagen
European Pharmaceuticals International and Medstone Holding
Former CEO of Steinhoff International Holdings
Stichting Beheer Geboortezorg Nederland (SGBN)
ALBA Group PLC & CO. KG
Irish Investors in Torun Ltd. regarding Livarna
Former Board members Royal Imtech/group companies
- Representating a former CEO of Volkswagen in the class action lodged by Stichting Volkswagen Car Claim in relation to the “Dieselgate” scandal.
- Acting for Commerz Real Investmentgesellschaft in a dispute against Babylon Den Haag and others following the €41m acquisition of a newly-constructed office building in The Hague that was suffering from climate inadequacies.
- Representing the former CEO of Steinhoff International Holdings in four proceedings before the Dutch courts, including class action claims, taking charge of coordinating with other defendants in Dutch proceedings and playing a key role in the CEO’s defence worldwide.
Lexence attracts major clients from an array of industries, including VodafoneZiggo, FremantleMedia and A.C. Nielssen, advising on all aspects of corporate and commercial litigation and arbitration. Clients highlight the partner-led advice, 'great knowledge' and 'creative solutions'. The three partners are all experienced practitioners, namely practice co-head and 'sharp lawyer' Timo Jansen; commercial litigator Bram Thomas Craemer, who has a following among media and investment funds among others, and business disputes specialist Arnout Schennink.
Bram Thomas Craemer; Timo Jansen
Other key lawyers:
‘Down-to-earth, great knowledge, partner availability, top partner involved in all discussions.’
‘I have worked with Timo Jansen in two cases. He is a sharp lawyer and is honest, working in the client’s interest. He responds very quickly which is very convenient when there is an urgent question.’
‘The team is easy to communicate with and they have a hands-on, no-nonsense attitude.’
‘The team is on the ball in projects and finds creative solutions for problems which were not identified by other advisors, especially partner Timo Jansen. Furthermore, they stick to the initial plan, but are flexible to adjust when necessary.’
‘Service oriented, very strong partners, good mix of knowledge in the total team.’
‘Good understanding of the position of all stakeholders, creative in dealmaking, personal in communication, service oriented, in-depth understanding of the business, very clear advice, strong will to win for the client.’
Stern Automotive Group
Vistra Corporate Services
Advantage Smollan (Hamilton Bright)
GREEN Real Estate
Nederlandsche Betaal & Wisselmaatschappij
Bencis Capital Partners
Tetra House Pte
- Advised various boards of supervisory directors on corporate governance issues, for example on intervention at board level and reputational and liability risks.
- Represented Radboud University in resolving a joint venture dispute within months by obtaining injunctive relief, whereas the conflict simmered for over five years.
- Acted for a supervisory director of a selling shareholder in mismanagement proceedings before the Amsterdam Court of Appeals on the admissibility of a €500m leveraged exit transaction. Amounted to landmark litigation on the admissibility of leveraged buyout transactions under Dutch company law.
A smaller but highly skilled team, Linklaters is led by international arbitration lawyer and corporate litigator Daniella Strik, who has a strong focus on the energy and financial institutions sectors. Clients impressively include Bank of New York Mellon, Goldman Sachs Group and ING Bank. Together with 2020 headline hire of leading arbitration specialist Gerard Meijer, the duo provide a comprehensive and high-level offering, particularly for multinationals defending cross-border claims.
Other key lawyers:
Steinhoff International Holdings
Bank of New York Mellon
Goldman Sachs Group
Texaco Petroleum Company
Koninklijke Volker Wessels
- Defending Air France in the Dutch follow-up litigation relating to the alleged air cargo cartel European Commission decisions.
- Defending Steinhoff in two class actions (initiated by VEB, Stichting Steinhoff International Claims Compensation); three liability actions (initiated on behalf of clients of Deminor, CFE and Bureau Brandeis); and one inquiry proceedings at the Enterprise Chamber (initiated by i.a. PIC).
- Advising Bank of New York Mellon on the Dutch aspects of its UK-based proceedings brought by the Republic of Kazakhstan and the National Bank of Kazakhstan, which included garnishment orders issued in favour of third parties in Belgium and the Netherlands.
A mid-sized but growing team at Stek comprises four experienced partners including co-heads of practice Jan Bart van de Hel and Gerben Smit, described as 'both great lawyers and litigators'. The practice has expanded considerably at associate level during the past year, in keeping with some impressive client gains, while its standout strength in competition law litigation is evidenced in its continued work on behalf of LitFin in the trucks cartel matter.
Jan Bart van de Hel; Gerben Smit
Other key lawyers:
Max Hetterscheidt; Tanja Schasfoort
‘Gerben Smit is a very good litigation lawyer; deep knowledge of litigation procedural law; pragmatic.’
‘I have only worked with Jan Bart van de Hel, but based on this limited experience, I can already recommend him without any doubt. He is a pleasant, smart litigator, who writes very clear case documents and he is a good strategical thinker.’
‘Legal technical excellence, punctual, reliable, delivering progress briefs adequately and frequently, and keeping them brief and informative. The litigation that Stek conducts for my client involves partner Gerben Smit and Max Hetterscheidt. All what has been said above refers to these two individuals who in my eyes are exceptionally strong litigation attorneys.’
‘Stek is really an upcoming boutique law firm. They have great litigators. ’
‘Jan Bart van Hel and Gerben Smit are both great lawyers and litigators.’
- Advising Chinese state-owned COFCO in relation to internal investigations and litigation regarding a €200m loss as a result of alleged fraud/accounting irregularities in COFCO Netherlands’ (Nidera) bio fuels business.
- Representing the former CFO of Steinhoff in a Dutch class action and matters in Germany and South-Africa with a value of several billion dollars related to alleged mismanagement/accounting irregularities
- Acting for litigation funder LitFin, in multiple matters, including several claims against DAF N.V. before the Dutch Districts Courts in relation to the truck cartel case.
Wijn & Stael Advocaten N.V. has a burgeoning standing in the market; the result of a versatile and talented group of litigators instructed in some high-profile, international matters with notable strength in financial issues. With 'unrivalled energy and focus' Koen Rutten is leading the advice to 85 institutional investors as shareholders in Steinhoff in a €700m damages claim. Rutten co-leads the practice alongside Noor Zetteler and head of Supreme Court litigation Thijs van Zanten.
Koen Rutten; Noor Zetteler; Thijs van Zanten
‘We have worked with Thijs van Zanten and his team on high-profile litigation at the Dutch Supreme Court. Thijs is a well-established Supreme Court lawyer, with a practical approach. Together with Ida Lintel he delivers output within the desired time frame.’
‘Koen Rutten is an excellent lawyer and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Excellent business acumen, to-the-point, knowledgable about the eco-system (who is who) on a case, not only pure legal focus. Koen Rutten is down-to-earth; swift; transparent; excellent soft skills; eye for details; a fantastic human being on top of being a great lawyer. One of the best litigation lawyers we use in our cases.’
‘Team is really on top of things. In my case the team has to work together with other lawyers and automatically takes the lead in that process, which helps as they support you as client . Very much involved. Understand the issue and position I am in as client and act accordingly. And when on a joint assignment with other law firms, it is good to see they take the lead in drafting and court processes.’
‘They are specialised in liability of the auditor. Good cooperation with the client and a great team of capable people.’
‘Collaborative team that trust each other and get the best sum out of the parts. Koen has unrivalled energy and focus, leaves no stone unturned, is imaginative and open-minded.’
‘Wijn & Stael is a practice that can be characterised as very strong in technical knowledge. They form teams on a subject matter basis, being capable of combining the best experts needed. Within the team all members are subordinate to the ultimate goal. Towards the client, Wijn & Stael continues to be realistic. They strive for the best result, but never forget the clients perspective. In doing so they often challenge the client on their requests, they will not litigate just for the sake of it. ’
‘The individuals within Wijn & Stael know their qualities. Koen Rutten qualifies as a pragmatic, very knowledgeable partner who is able to steer his client continuously in the right direction. He easily combines the detail of a file with the often so much needed overview. The combination of Koen with Willem Jan van Andel creates a winning team, with Mr Van Andel adding close to a lifetime of experience. ’
OCI N.V. (public company)
Upper Brook Companies (subsidiary of the Libyan Investment Authority)
- Acting on behalf of 85 institutional investors in Steinhoff together with Deminor in proceedings against Steinhoff, its former directors and supervisory directors and Deloitte to recover more than €700m in damages.
- Advising members of the board of Estro (formerly Catalpa) in inquiry proceeding before the Enterprise Chamber brought by the Trustee of Estro regarding the leveraged buy-out financing of the company provided by KKR and Bayside Capital.
- Represented investment fund Promontoria Holding 107 and Link Asset Services in preliminary reference proceedings before the Dutch Supreme Court regarding the sale of €400m in loans by Van Lanschot N.V.
Almost unique among offerings in the Dutch market, independent firm Buren has offices in Shanghai and Beijing, attracting significant work from a growing Chinese client base, including China Airlines. Philip ter Burg, Jan Holthuis and recently made up Li Jiao comprise a versatile partner trio, who advise on a broad range of corporate and commerical litigation.
Philip ter Burg ; Jan Holthuis ; Li Jiao
Other key lawyers:
‘We feel confident and our questions are promptly replied to which gives us the feeling of being an important customer.’
‘We have a patent issue at this moment, which is handled by Buren and their associates in China. On all our questions they give a good reply and even if we do not understand it the first time, they will be patient and try to explain it the other way. Law in China is different than in Germany or the Netherlands and needs more explanation.’
Cathay Pacific Airways
Interlink Metals & Chemicals
Vermilion Energy Netherland
Vesteda Investment Management
- Representing Cathay Airways and Latam Airlines as defence counsel in several proceedings involving civil law antitrust follow-on damage claims.
- Counsel to agricultural company HZPC Group in arbitration proceedings before the Singapore International Arbitration Commission (SIAC).
- Acting for China Airlines (Amsterdam branch) in a dispute with its former Greek agent Airlink Travel Services Co. regarding termination of the agency agreement and goodwill indemnity.
A well-resourced team at CMS represents significant Dutch and international companies in a range of corporate, financial and commercial litigation, as well as construction, indemnity and reinsurance, and energy project disputes. Utrecht-based litigator Leonard Böhmer leads the practice, supported by over 20 lawyers, including litigation and arbitration specialist Peter Soede.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Soede; Petra Heemskerk
Royal Bam Group
Cambuur and De Graafschap (Dutch professional football clubs)
- Acting for AET in its claim for a new tender and damages against both Idemia Netherlands and the Ministry for Internal Affairs, concerning an altered procured contract that resulted in unfair competition, violation of procurement rules and unlawful behaviour.
- Advising McCain in a number of Dutch design infringement cases against competitor Simplot, in relation to potato products. This case is part of a global infringement dispute, including various EU countries, US and Canada, in addition to design invalidity proceedings before the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO).
- Representing Profile in respect of a conflict with its IT supplier regarding the development, implementation and deployment of a full CRM – ERP system for its 200 + outlets in the Benelux.
Höcker Advocaten's team of ten lawyers punches above its weight, advising on landmark cases including the Urgenda climate change case against the State, and the inaugural proceedings before the new Netherlands Commercial Court (NCC) on behalf of Airopack Technology Group. Key partner Koos van den Berg and department head Marc Wolters led the advice respectively.
Other key lawyers:
Koos van den Berg
‘Top-notch client service and knowledge’
‘Marc Wolters combines vast knowledge and experience with the highest ethical values.’
‘Very professional, responsive and effective in their representation. Marnix van den Bergh, Marc Wolters, Koos van den Berg and Diederik an Tuyl van Serooskerken all materially contributed to the above-stated assessment of the firm.’
‘The team I know at Hocker is highly intelligent and creative. They are prepared to think along with me as a client and do their homework on new topics, also in complicated matters like climate change and climate change policies, and at the same time they stay critical and keep me on track. They are prepared to invest much more time in new topics than others. That is the main reason, apart from intelligence, we won from the Dutch government up to the Supreme Court.’
‘Koos van den Berg has worked with us for eight years on the case. He found the legal way to beat the Dutch government. This required intelligence, an enormous knowledge of the relevant science, knowledge of different fields of law (tort law, human rights law, environmental law, international law etc) and the creativity to find an innovative way of thinking that could lead to the victory at three courts, ending with the Supreme Court, forcing the Dutch government to take action.’
Omnicom (TBWA, DDB, BBDO)
Stichting de Thuiskopie
Rojanets Investments LLC and Lee Lokey
Sony Interactive Entertainment Benelux
- Acting for the Urgenda Foundation in proceedings against the Dutch State concerning the Dutch annual emission-level of greenhouse gases (GHG), unduly high for preventing dangerous global climate change and excessive in comparison with similar industrialised countries and therefore unlawfully dangerous.
- Representing a group of international investors whose assets were expropriated, when the Dutch state took the unprecedented step of expropriating the fourth largest bank/insurance company in the Netherlands, SNS Reaal.
- Acting for Airopack Technology Group before the newly created Netherlands Commercial Court (NCC) concerning the execution of a right of pledge on shares of a holding company with subsidiaries in the Netherlands and Belgium, value €170m.
Jones Day has a comprehensive offering, handling a broad range of corporate and commercial litigation on behalf of international companies and significant domestic players. Practice head Gerjanne te Winkel handles a variety of corporate disputes, including takeover battles and shareholder disputes, while Coen Drion is recommended for commercial litigation, liability issues and restructuring. Former partner Aldo Verbruggen moved to Lumens Lawyers at the end of 2019.
Kennedy Van der Laan
The well-resourced team at Kennedy Van der Laan has 'excellent knowledge of and connections to various industries, a hands-on approach, good to work with especially in international cases.' Christoph Jeloschek and Martine de Koning lead a team of five partners and 21 associates, acting for well-known multinationals, including matters before the Supreme Court. Partner Bart de Ruijter moved to CMS.
Christoph Jeloschek; Martine de Koning
Other key lawyers:
Veerle van Druenen; Isabel van Tuyll van Serooskerken
‘I immediately noticed that the team has extensive knowledge and experience in handling disputes about commercial agreements. The team handled a dispute with one of our agents very well. Advice is always very practical, honest and straightforward.’
‘Martine de Koning is extremely knowledgeable and experienced in advising about selective distribution networks. She knows everything there is to know about civil law as well as the competition law aspects of contracting as a retailer. Apart from this, she is very approachable and nice to work with. Martine is my go-to person for any question about selective distribution or vertical agreements in general.’
‘Isabel Tuyl van Serooskerken is very knowledgeable and experienced in handling disputes about agency agreements. Her advice is always clear, understandable and straightforward. Isabel is my go-to person for any questions about agency agreements. ’
‘The team is strong in ICT disputes – they have integrated IT law specialists. They are very open and friendly and easy to work with.’
‘Christof Jeloschek and Maarten Schut are intelligent and great team players; Patrick Wit is an IT law heavyweight; Veerle van Druenen is an excellent writer.’
‘Excellent knowledge of and connections to various industries, hands-on approach, good to work with especially in international cases ’
‘Christoph Jeloschek has an excellent knowledge of European private law and European procedural law, well-positioned to deal with cross-border cases, in particular for German/Austrian clients or in cases with connection to Germany/Austria; very practical, hands-on approach, understands the client’s business needs and able to offer quick and reliable solutions.’
‘They are really passionate and involved in the case .’
Nike and Converse
UCI (Union Cyclists Internationale)
ABN AMRO Bank
- Successfully defended Nike in a major case regarding validity of its selective distribution policy under EU competition law.
- Represented CNA in a landmark case regarding the exhaustion of a primary layer in excess D&O and applicability of an arbitration clause.
- Represented the international cycling body UCI in a competition law claim in the civil courts in relation to the introduction of an IT platform.
Norton Rose Fulbright has a particular focus on the financial and energy sectors, where it acts for some major financial institutions and global corporations on a variety of disputes. Work includes insurance claims led by co-practice head Jan Duyvensz, such as directors’ and officers’ liability, professional liability and fraud. Fellow co-head Yke Lennartz is recommended.
Yke Lennartz; Jan Duyvensz
AmTrust at Lloyd’s Limited
DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale
ING Capital LLC, ING Bank N.V.
Rotterdam World Gateway
- Representing Helios Market, Product & Production Development in a dispute with its former agent for the Latin American market in respect of the termination of the agency agreement, commission payments and goodwill.
- Acting as defence counsel on behalf of a liability insurer and a well-known lawyer in relation to complex court proceedings in the Court of Appeal regarding a professional liability dispute.
- Advised and represented Nordic Trustee as bond trustee and security agent for several bondholders, in accelerating a €350m senior secured bond loan issued by VIEO and subsequently obtaining court approval for the private enforcement sale of the shares in VIEO in the context of the enforcement of the share pledge.
Clients of Rotterdam-based Ploum praise the 'in-depth knowledge', 'quick and decisive' reactions and 'excellent communication' of this substantial litigation team, which includes a dozen partners led by 'seasoned litigator' Maurice Verhoeven. The comprehensive corporate and commercial disputes practice includes Supreme Court litigation, regulatory issues, crime and professional liability.
Other key lawyers:
Natalie Vloemans; Michel Jacobs; Dorine ten Brink
‘The dispute resolution team of Ploum, more specifically the corporate litigation team, has extensive knowledge on D&O and insolvency issues. The lines are short and effective. I would definitely request their assistance as defence counsel.’
‘Partners Maurice Verhoeven and Vincent Terlouw are seasoned, experienced litigators with all the necessary in-depth knowledge. They are also well known with the D&O insurance industry. An honorary mention is associate Thomas Munnik. He is definitely the new kid on the block with regards to corporate litigation (D&O and professional liability, more specific to the liability of accountants). I would describe him as a heavyweight associate on the terrain of corporate litigation. He definitely has an eye for the (necessary) details.’
‘The Ploum team of commercial litigation is a seasoned team of professionals working closely with their notarial services team. That way they are able to react quickly and decisively with optimum cooperation between the teams.’
‘Matthijs Gardien is an experienced hands-on lawyer who works closely with his clients to get the best result possible, whether it is litigation or out-of-court settlements. Matthijs is a highly-qualified professional, always quick to react and a pleasant person to work with. ’
‘Down to earth approach, excellent communication. Follow-up by colleagues during absence also of a good standard.’
‘Natalie Vloemans distinguishes herself in responsiveness in general, and is smart and resolute in litigation.’
AIG Europe Limited, Netherlands
Liesker Procesfinanciering/Stichting Loterij Incasso/Mark Four Enterprises
HDI Global Speciality
Kuwait Petroleum (Netherlands)
Koninklijke Volker Wessels Stevin
Koole Tankstorage Botlek /Odfjell Terminals
Peterson Control Union
Mazars Berenschot Corporate Finance (MBCF)
NPO (Stichting Nederlandse Publieke Omroep/Dutch Broadcasting Union)
ATM B.V. / Renewi Nederland
- Advising Mark Four Enterprise (funded by Liesker Procesfinanciering) in a large-scale professional liability claim of €60m against its former lawyer claiming damages resulting from an untimely filing of an application within the European Court of Human Rights, including filing a claim within the Court of Appeal.
- Leading defence counsel to MBCF in a professional liability matter against regional grid operator Rendo N.V. concerning the process of approaching investors on behalf of Rendo’s client, Stramproy Green Investments (SGI).
- Represented Koole (formerly Odfjell)’s Rotterdam terminal in litigation initiated by Kolmar.
Van Oosten Schulz De Korte Advocaten has an 'impressive international disputes practice', advising on corporate and commercial litigation and arbitration, regulatory matters and white collar criminal defence work. An impressive client roster includes Gazprom Dutch Group Entities, Turkish Airlines and Hudson’s Bay Company. Head of the practice Jurjen de Korte 'always delivers punch where and when needed.'
Jurjen de Korte
Other key lawyers:
Harro Schulz; Geertjan van Oosten
‘The only boutique firm in the Netherlands that operates on the edge of civil litigation and arbitration and criminal defence/white coller crime work. They have an impressive international disputes practice and have proven to be a reliable partner in a number of complex proceedings.’
‘We frequently work with the team of Jurjen de Korte on a variety of matters, including the successful defence against enforcement of a high-value arbitral award. Jurjen is very accessible, efficient and always delivers punch where and when needed. ’
‘They are known in the market for very complex disputes work. For instance, I know that they have handled and are handling large corporate disputes for a multinational client.’
‘Jurjen de Korte has a personable style with clients and a robust approach to counterparties, a combination which works very well in litigation cases.’
Gazprom Dutch Group Entities
Hudson’s Bay Company
Louis Dreyfus Company
Arthur Daniels Midland
IB Capital FX
- Successfully represented Dutch Gazprom affiliates in three urgent relief proceedings in relation to a $2.6bn dispute with Naftogaz.
- Acting for Hudson’s Bay Company in numerous proceedings before the Dutch courts relating to claims by landlords following the bankruptcy of its Dutch business.
- Represented IATA in proceedings before the Dutch courts initiated by more than 185 European travel agents and regarding more than $14m in refunds for flights cancelled by defunct Hungarian airliner Malev.
With notable strength in insolvency and restructuring-related disputes, Windt Le Grand Leeuwenburgh is growing its market share and expanding; its new hires including counsel Abdel Tahtah from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek. The experienced partner team comprises the well-known Bart Gerretsen, 'extremely good lawyer' Irene Tax, and name partners Richard le Grand and Ruben Leeuwenburgh.
Irene Tax; Richard Le Grand; Ruben Leeuwenburgh; Bart Gerretsen
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Jansen; Abdel Tahtah
‘The Windt Le Grand Leeuwenburgh team excels in the combination of experience and cooperation, also with other law firms and disciplines.’
‘I have worked with Irene Tax and she is an extremely good lawyer with an eye for practical solutions and not afraid to litigate where necessary. Irene always keeps main issues separate from side issues and achieves creative and good solutions. A real pleasure to work with.’
‘Irene and her team are very responsive and creative. Their approach is structured, strategic and their court documents are very accessible and convincing. They are persistent and focused and pleasant to work with.’
‘Irene Tax, Marieke van Aalderen and Steven Palm all stand out for their clear and no-nonsense approach to disputes, and are a joy to work with.’
‘The people in this firm are realy interested in their clients wellbeing, separate from the case itself.’
‘I mainly work with Irene Tax and Marieke van Aalderen. Irene always ensures that I can sleep well. She actively informs about deadlines, actions to be taken and her considerations regarding her advice. Marieke is her associate and together they form a great team.’
D&O’s in relation to Cunico Resources
ZEP Holding Benelux (easyhotels)
Miedema and Van Roozendaal SURF
Leaderland (Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam High Court)
Mammoet Nederland and Mammoet Deutschland
BB Capital Management
Eastman Music Company/Eastman Musical Instruments Europe
D&O’s in relation to Darion Capital Management
Group Parcel International
- Defending two former directors of FENI in claims related to the wider Cunico v. Macedonia case.
- Representing VRC, a restructuring specialist financial consultancy, in a company-wide dispute under distressed circumstances.
- Acting for Rabobank in litigation against Le Coq Sportif arising from one of the highest profile bankruptcies in the Dutch retail sector.
With a strong focus in the retail, real estate and hotel and leisure sectors, act Fort Advocaten advises on a broad spread of issues, such as corporate disputes, franchise-related matters and restructuring. Practice head Berth Brouwer and his team of associates 'think several steps ahead in the process' and are 'thorough'.
‘Good knowledge; quick reply.’
‘Good understanding of our business; they think several steps ahead in the process.’
‘Very approachable, quick delivery, thorough and pleasant to work with.’
‘Berth Brouwer and Katinka Verdurmen are both excellent lawyers, approachable, fast, down-to-earth, thorough, knowledgeable, an eye for the business, everything you want your lawyer to be and on top of that. very nice people.’
Amstelpark Tennis Promotions
TCS (Taxicentrale Schiphol)
JD Sports Fashion
Vereniging Albert Heijn Franchisenemers
- Represented VAHFR, the franchisees of Albert Heijn, in a complex matter on financial settlements against franchisor Albert Heijn.
- Acting for Amrâth Hotels & Restaurants in litigation in appeal proceedings with regards to a turnkey agreement with a large pension fund.
- Successfully represented Nedstede Group in litigation concerning a rental matter against soccer club Vitesse with regard to the Gelredome Stadium.
Greenberg Traurig LLP handles business disputes with a strong international bias with leverage from the firm's multi-disciplinary expertise in areas such as financial services, real estate, energy and ICT. Allard Huizing is an experienced litigator and heads a 13-strong team that includes fellow partner Wietse de Jong, who leads on financial matters.
Other key lawyers:
Wietse de Jong
Manon Cordewener at Hogan Lovells International LLP is praised by clients, who describe her as 'superb - knowledgeable, calm, and commercial'. She steers a team of eight associates, attracting some high-profile clients and instructions, such as advising Korean Air on the collective redress claims that have arisen following the European Commission's air cargo cartel decision.
Osborne Clarke fields a versatile team led by Jeroen Bedaux, client partner to FC Utrecht, which the firm is advising regarding the termination of the Dutch premier league as a consequence of Covid-19. Work handled includes a broad mix of real estate litigation, commercial arbitration and disputes within the retail and consumer sectors, to name a few.
Other key lawyers:
Jorgo Tsiris; Bas Beenen; Berend Zwart
‘Solution-oriented advice instead of over-complicating problems, paired with excellent knowledge and good mood even in stressful situations. Resulting in less charged hours, solved problems and super-happy clients!’
‘Very engaged team coming up with creative solutions; a wealth of experience leading to better solutions.’
‘The Osborne Clarke team offers a highly-experienced ‘one-stop-shop’, which is very important for quickly-evolving startup companies.’
‘We recently worked with OC in our series A. They are an amazing team, reactive and straight to the point. Strong point is availability – when you are closing a deal this is gold.’
‘Experience, flexibility, professionality. Good negotiation skills.’
Hotel Booker and Bungalow Booker
Silk Road Bank
Allflex Europe SAS
Football Club Utrecht
- Representing Silk Road Bank in two connected proceedings before the Dutch courts, value €40.6m. Seven well-known law firms are involved.
- Representing FC Utrecht against the UEFA in Switzerland and the Royal Dutch Soccer Association following the premature and unlawful termination of the Dutch premier league as a consequence of Covid-19.
- Acting for Takenaka Europe against a group of 30 employees of a Japanese multinational, following alleged construction defect and subsequent sensitisation. Amount at stake over €20m, with five court appointed medical experts involved.
The 'very pro-active' Pot Jonker Advocaten advises on a broad mix of commercial disputes including matters before the Supreme Court. Distribution, franchise and sub-contractor agreements, government liability and IT agreements are just some of the typical issues handled by the ten-strong team. It is led by Floris Diepraam, supported by Robbert Boesveld and Babette Blaisse-Verkooijen.
Other key lawyers:
Robbert Boesveld; Babette Blaisse-Verkooijen
‘The team takes a very practical approach to disputes and also provides realistic forecasts. In addition, they are very accessible and they know how to make complex matters simple.’
‘They understand exactly what is going on in the company and take this into account in their advice.’
‘They have in-depth legal knowledge always focused on solving the problem, preferably without a court procedure. ’
‘Floris Diepraam is a genuine business partner with a keen eye on the legal aspect but also has great knowledge of the companies’ services and procedures.’
‘Pot Jonker Advocaten has a very pro-active approach. ’
‘Quick and pragmatic advisers who have a great response time and are legally sound.’
‘Oscar van de Pol is a very pleasant lawyer who does not seem stressed easily and is solution oriented. I love working with him in commercial litigation issues. Legal sound advice and no fear for unnecessary litigation.’
‘Kristianne Horrevorts is very pleasant to work with. She is quick to respond and keeps to her deadlines. Her advice is easy to use and trustworthy.’
ABN AMRO Bank
BEL Combination (Organisational combination of municipalilties Blaricum, Eemnes and Laren)
Dutch Flower Group
Klooster Euphrasia/Zusters van O.L.V. van Liefde van de Goede Herder
Royal Ahold Delhaize (Albert Heijn, Etos, Gall & Gall)
Royal BAM Group
- Long-term adviser to Royal PostNL in respect of a wide range of civil proceedings, such as the cancellation of continuing performance contracts, liabilty under postal regulations, non-performance and director’s liability issues.
- Representing Q-Park in multiple cases of unfair government competition.
- Representing Royal Ahold Delhaize and its Dutch operating companies (e.g. Albert Heijn, Gall & Gall, Etos, Ahold European Sourcing) in a range of civil proceedings, such as disputes concerning distribution agreements.
Although best known for its art-related litigation practice where it handles multimillion-euro disputes, Russell Advocaten B.V. advises on business disputes across a range of other sectors, including IT/data handling, fashion and luxury goods and retail. Another niche area of expertise is advice to Embassies. With many years' experience, Paul Russell is an 'outstanding professional'.
‘No nonsense, to-the-point advice, transparent and of outstanding quality. Accessible partners, overall very good knowledge of the subjects at hand. They can also rely on a huge network in many areas.’
‘Partners and associates alike are really up to their task with in-depth knowledge of the various cases presented, they can rely on specific expert knowledge in many areas. They are true professionals who work very efficiently, not losing hours on end grasping the detail of specific cases because of lack of knowledge. They truly understand the matters at hand based on their expertise and as such, provide professional support and advice.’
‘The team has a great work capacity, managing a large number of judicial proceedings diligently and cost-efficiently. ’
‘Russell Advocaten is the best legal partner for art business. Always a pleasure to work together with Paul and his colleagues. ’
‘Paul Russel is an expert both in art law as in art itself. He is an outstanding professional. ’
‘A dedicated team that delivers.’
‘Very good at keeping their calm when needed.’
Taylor Wessing LLP
Located in the tech hub of Eindhoven as well as Amsterdam, Taylor Wessing LLP has a focus on tech, pharma and new energy disputes in particular. Head of the team Hugo Nieuwenhuizen brings many years' experience to the practice. Other key advisers are 'insightful' Anne Josephus Jitta and counsels Nick Kampschreur and Vera Jurgens .
Other key lawyers:
Anne Josephus Jitta; Nick Kampschreur; Vera Jurgens
‘Excellent cross-border partnership and engagement during and after transferring a case to associates abroad. ’
‘As in most cross border fraud/embezzlement cases it is of the utmost importance that swift actions are taken to ascertain proprietor and/or ownership in the country in which the misappropriated goods are located. That’s why we hire firms with international partnerships that can transition from one attorney in country X to another in country Y instantaneously. What stood out to me is that whilst the attorney in country Y was still to be briefed, Anne Josephus Jitta was able to correspond to the counterparty in the concerned foreign language(s) flawlessly, leaving no room for any loss of time and thus preventing deterioration of our (legal) position.’
‘The team was exceptional in assisting us with a litigation matter in the Netherlands on our behalf while we sat with out client in South Africa. The team was friendly, dynamic, forward thinking, and certain. Their response time was rapid and the advice they gave was always sound and well thought-through.’
‘Anne Josephus Jitta is incredibly friendly, helpful, insightful, and knowledgable.’
‘In a very short time they took excellent ownership of the case and acted with their knowledge and experience, fast and well thought out, efficient and effective: great result to the benefit of our company.’
‘Good personal contact and an active attitude. I have worked together with Vera Jurgens for several years now and we work as a team on different matters.’
Classic Medical Mouldings
Leen Bakker Nederland
Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A.
Funding Circle Nederland
Stichting ROC Summa College
De Meeuw Oirschot
Brand Loyalty Group
De Rooy Holding
Focus International Real Estate
Marilyn Best (McDonalds)
St Gobain Weber Beamix
Milkpartners Sp. Zoo
Peter Emming Agrarkantor- und Handel GmbH & Co. KG
GD Medical Phama
- Acting for KL AIR in relation to the cancellation, due to Covid-19, of contracts with Schiphol to design a new terminal in collaboration of several parties.
- Advising FL Group in several investigations and discovery proceedings relating to the high-profile project concerning the reinforcement of a dyke, by order of the Dutch authorities.
- Acting for Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A. in several matters, including one relating to the recovery of loans from the debtor and seeking recourse against its parent (via a corporate guarantee) and ultimate beneficial owner (via a surety), leading to mulitple court cases.