‘One of the best firms in the field of litigation’, Allen & Overy LLP’s litigation practice delivers ‘consistently high quality work’. It focuses on corporate, financial and IP litigation, alongside international arbitration and white-collar crime matters. Veteran litigator Richard De Haan heads the team and represents clients before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeals in Amsterdam, among others. Brechje Van Der Velden handles financial disputes and regulatory enforcement procedures; Arnold Croiset Van Uchelen specialises in corporate and securities litigation; Hilde Van Der Baan is recommended for projects and construction work; counsel Marnix De Planque is also recommended.
Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Richard de Haan
Other key lawyers:
Arnold Croiset van Uchelen; Brechje van der Velden; Hendrik Jan Biemond; Marnix de Planque
‘I consider them to be one of the best, if not the best’.
‘The lawyers bring deep industry knowledge and substantive legal experience for our matters’.
‘Their approach is commercial yet personal’.
‘Their litigation lawyers in different offices work seamlessly together’.
‘Hilde van der Baan is very smart, a rising star and well prepared’.
‘Excellent understanding of both the commercial and legal side of a dispute’.
‘The team delivers an excellent quality service on complex and highly specialised legal matters’.
‘They are very accessible and provide excellent legal advice in a timely manner’.
The Dutch Ministry of Finance
Royal PostNL N.V.
Eight former members of Imtech’s supervisory board
De Facultatieve Group
Pon’s Automobielhandel B.V.
SEB Life International
- Representing Mediaset, the Italian and Spanish media company controlled by the Berlusconi family, in multi-jurisdictional litigation against minority shareholder Vivendi, in relation to the proposed cross-border intra-group merger and transfer of the statutory seat of the MediasetGroup to the Netherlands.
- Representing Pon’s Autmobiel handel, a Dutch car importer, in a collective action launched against it and others by Stichting Volkswagen Car Claim, relating to the alleged Volkswagen emissions scandal.
- Representing ING Bank in multiple legal proceedings against (former) customers of which ING Bank has terminated their banking relationship due to integrity risks.
De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek has ‘an exceptionally skilled, bright and devoted team’. It acts for corporates in domestic and international litigation. Practice head Edward Van Geuns handles high-profile litigation and arbitration before the Dutch courts. Eelco Meerdink handles cross-border disputes for clients in the insurance, banking, energy, technology, construction and pharmaceutical sectors. Jan De Bie Leuveling Tjeenk has expertise in corporate and securities litigation, class actions and civil procedures; Machteld de Monchy is recommended for competition cases, while senior associate Tilly Alberga-Smits deals with contract and liability matters. In a recent development, Marieke Bredenoord-Spoek joined from Stibbe as counsel.
Edward van Geuns
Other key lawyers:
Jan de Bie Leuveling Tjeenk; Daan Beenders; Eelco Meerdink; Tilly Alberga-Smits; Jeroen van der Schrieck; Machteld de Monchy; Marieke Bredenoord-Spoek
‘Excellent team on all fronts, superb handling of cross-jurisdictional litigation cases’.
‘All noticeably going the extra mile for us’.
‘The team is well aware of what is important for our sector, pro-active and easily accessible’.
‘Honest advice on opportunities and risks is valuable and we believe De Brauw is able to provide this’.
‘Pragmatic, business savvy lawyers, easily reachable and knowledgeable’.
‘Jan de Bie Leuveling Tjeenk is a top-notch litigator with an unrivalled knowledge of the law’.
‘Machteld de Monchy is a standout partner, combining intelligence with pragmatism to get the best for her clients’.
‘Daan Beenders remains highly recommended; an extremely smart and effective lawyer who never loses sight of the bigger picture’.
Yukos Oil Group Companies
PACCAR and DAF Group
COFCO Coöperatief U.A. and COFCO International Limited
Former SNS REAAL
Royal Dutch Shell and the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC)
Several NGOs (such as Bureau Clara Wichmann and Transgender Netwerk Nederland) and individuals representing the interests of the transgender and intersex community
Enel S.p.A. and its subsidiary Enelpower S.p.A.
Centerbridge Partners Europe LLC (Conservatorium Holdings LLC)
J&C Acquisition Holding B.V. (joint venture of Jumbo and Coop food retail groups)
Robert Bosch GmbH
Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A.
Royal Philips N.V.
Sunscreen Bidco B.V.
- Advising the DAG Group as lead counsel in 20 jurisdictions in one of the most complex mass claims in Europe.
- Represents Nissan-Mitsubishi’s interests in a matter concerning the high-profile global litigation between Nissan and its former director Carlos Ghosn.
- Advising Former SNS REAAL in a matter that constitutes the expropriation of a national bank.
The Houthoff dispute resolution team is ‘comprised of exceptionally quick and commercially minded lawyers who devise clever strategies and explain complex cases to clients in a user-friendly way’. The team is noted for its Supreme Court capability, and also handles corporate litigation and arbitration. Albert Knigge co-heads the team and has considerable experience in multiparty cross-border disputes and Dutch civil proceedings. Bart van der Wiel , who jointly heads the team, is recommended for finance, insolvency, and liability law; and Jan Willem de Groot is a name to note for Enterprise Chamber proceedings. David Heems was recently promoted to partner.
Albert Knigge; Bart van der Wiel
Other key lawyers:
Rob Meijer; Jan Willem de Groot; Rick Cornelissen; David Heems; Dirk Knottenbelt
‘Excellent cross-practices approach to litigation’.
‘Albert Knigge is valuable for his practical approach to complex legal issues’.
‘Jan Willem de Groot is a superb advocate and very assured and prepared in court’.
‘Bart van de Wiel has a creative view on a dogmatic problem’.
‘Houthoff is our first choice for advice regarding appeal/cassation before the Supreme Court’.
‘Bart van der Wiel is approachable and gifted at making complex matters simple’.
‘Bart van der Wiel stands out as a great Supreme Court litigator’.
‘David Heems is an energetic and smart lawyer that get things done’.
Administrators in suspension of payments Steinhoff International Holdings Eni
Cargolux Airlines International S.A.
Huntington Ingalls Industries
Nederlandse Spoorwegen (NS)
Fiat Chrysler Automobile
Volvo Trucks / Renault Trucks
Sligro Food Group
- Advised and represented in court a group of leading global investment firms in relation to the high profile offer to buyout the minority shareholders of Altice Europe by the French telecoms billionaire Patrick Drahi, holder of 78% of Altice Europe.
- Defending Petrobras in a securities class action submitted by the mass claims vehicle Stichting Petrobras Compensation Foundation allegedly representing a worldwide class of holders of securities (US investors excluded) who claim to have suffered financial loss as a result of alleged fraud within the Petrobras group during 2004-14.
- Advised and represented Volvo Trucks/Renault Trucks in its defence strategy against pending and upcoming cartel damages cases, following from European Commission fines for the exchange of information on gross prices for 14 years and the passing-on of costs of compliance with stricter emission rules.
Loyens & Loeff’s dispute resolution practice shows ‘great initiative and flexible thinking in its approach’. It focuses on corporate and financial litigation, including M&A-related matters, securities litigation and corporate governance issues. Mijke Sinninghe Damsté co-heads the team and is recommended for transaction-related disputes, and class actions and collective settlements.
Sidney Berendsen; Mijke Sinninghe Damsté
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent knowledge of their legal business and also with regulatory items’.
‘They are straight and open in their conclusions’.
‘Mijke Sinninghe Damsté is smart and straight forward, client and service-oriented without being too familiar with clients’.
‘Mijke Sinninghe Damsté can summarise headlines and key issues in a concise and clear manner’.
‘The Loyens team came up to speed extremely quickly on a complex and novel matter that we brought to them’.
‘They showed great initiative and flexible thinking in their approach, as well as really listening to our very particular concerns. I can’t speak highly enough of their performance’.
‘Bastiaan Kemp was top notch in terms of both quality of advice and product, and overall client care and contact’.
‘Mijke Sinninghe Damsté understands what needs to be done, and she is very good to work with’.
Global Loan Agency Services Limited
Sovereign Wealth Fund Samruk Kazyna
An ad-hoc group of senior secured noteholders of HEMA
Republic of India
Bluestream Pipeline Company B.V.
- Representing the Asian Development Bank, a multilateral development institution, in inquiry proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber in relation to a proposed IPO and alternative exit facilitation process.
- Representing ICAP in its role as broker in a class action brought by Stichting Elco Foundation against four banks and ICAP concerning alleged manipulation of interest rate benchmarks.
NautaDutilh fields a team of ‘good strategic thinkers, who are always one step ahead of the game’. It focuses on business-related disputes, covering commercial, corporate, criminal, competition and finance matters. The team, which is headed by Paul Olden and Rutger Kalsbeek, handles a wide range of cases in the District Courts, the Enterprise Court, the Supreme Court and European Court of Justice. Olden is recommended for transaction-related disputes; while Freerk Vermeulen is experienced in cross-border cases, international public law and human rights issues. Frans Overkleeft is a name to note for M&A-related matters and corporate governance.
Other key lawyers:
Freerk Vermeulen: Kasper Krzeminski; Frans Overkleeft
‘The entire team that we worked with listened carefully whenever we had a perspective to share, thought carefully and then decided on a course of action’.
‘Paul Olden is structured, responsive and decisive’.
‘Paul Olden helped to ensure that the focus of our efforts was well co-ordinated and directed towards a single goal’.
‘Always available, with a great understanding of business and high expertise’.
‘Exceptional practical legal and business knowledge, supported by vast experience and a total focus on the case from day one’.
‘Kasper Krzeminski has very good in-depth legal qualifications and experiences, is very nice to work with and listens well to his clients’.
‘Very dedicated and very hard working’.
‘Frans Overkleeft is top notch in commercial litigation’.
Royal Dutch Shell
Nederlandse Spoorwegen (Dutch Railways / NS)
HAL Investments / HAL Holding
- Representing the Urgenda Foundation in climate change proceedings against the Dutch State, including in follow-up actions to the landmark 2019 judgment of the Dutch Supreme Court.
- Representing four investors from Moldova and Gibraltar in a number of proceedings relating to the enforcement of a $543m arbitral award rendered against Kazakhstan.
- Acted for HAL in proceedings against EssilorLuxottica S.A. concerning the EUR 5.5bn acquisition by EssilorLuxottica of HAL’s majority stake in the Dutch listed optical retailer GrandVision N.V.
‘Exceptionally skilled, collaborative and efficient’, Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is well known for its representation of the Dutch State, but it also acts for large multinational corporations and stands out for its Supreme Court litigation capabilities. Hans van Wijk co-heads the team with over 30 years’ experience in corporate, public sector and liability law. Willem Heemskerk, who jointly heads the team, is recommended for liability and compensation cases, and cartel damage claims. Senior associate Raimond Dufour is experienced in cross-border disputes and class actions.
Hans van Wijk; Willem Heemskerk
Other key lawyers:
Karlijn Teuben; Wemmeke Wisman; Martijn Scheltema; Sikke Kingma; Raimond Dufour
‘Pels Rijcken’s insights are very beneficial when litigating complex commercial transactions or negotiating commercial contracts’.
‘Hans van Wijk is a very fast thinker, creative mind, and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of law and jurisprudence in a vast number of legal fields’.
‘Hans van Wijk is a very pleasant person to work with, I can highly recommend him to anyone’.
‘Sikke Kingma is very knowledgeable, fast to respond, extremely smart and in general a nice person to work with’.
‘A very warm co-operation, with person approach and the expertise and experience I was searching for’.
‘Excellent Supreme Court litigation team.’
‘Well known firm for dispute resolution, with high-quality lawyers’.
‘Wemmeke Wisman responds quickly, is very analytical, well informed on the latest legal developments and, above all, a very pleasant person to work with’.
Royal Dutch Shell
Royal Bank of Scotland
CNA Insurance company Europe
Planck Investments Ltd
Zimmer, Inc.; Zimmer GmbH; Zimmer Biomet Nederland B.V.
Franchisees Albert Heijn
State of the Netherlands
Municipalities of Amsterdam, The Hague and Rotterdam
Financial supervisory agencies: the Dutch Central Bank and the Dutch Authority for the Financial Markets
Authority for Consumers and Markets
- Assisting Shell in a landmark case on (business) human rights before the District Court of The Hague, after extensive litigation that took place in the US.
- Representing Daimler in more than 50 different cartel follow-on proceedings, mostly initiated by claim vehicles with a constituency of thousands of truck owners, relating to the alleged “truck cartel”.
- Assisting the Dutch State in Supreme Court proceedings relating to the expropriation of SNS Bank, after a judgment of the Enterprise Division of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal in which a compensation of more than EUR 1bn was granted.
Stibbe is particularly well-known for its strengths in mass damage actions, including collective actions brought on an opt-out basis, antitrust-related actions and cases concerning auditor professional liability. The firm has a strong track record acting for blue-chip multinational clients in high-stakes disputes. Fons Leijten, who is the head of the corporate litigation department, is experienced in matters concerning acquisitions, public offers and securities. He often acts for clients before Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal. The international litigation practice is led by Jeroen Kortmann, who acts as defence counsel in large commercial disputes and is prominent in cross-border litigation. Tim de Greve‘s workload includes contractual and tort disputes, as well as professional liability matters. Daphne Rijkers is also recommended.
Jeroen Kortmann; Fons Leijten
Other key lawyers:
Tim de Greve; Matthijs Kuijpers: Branda Katan; Daphne Rijkers
‘Stibbe has a high level of skills, both academically and practically’.
‘The individuals are the best in their expertise and they are very pro active and down to earth to communicate with’.
‘Communication, both orally and in writing, is effective in cooperation with the client’.
‘Tim de Greve is an extremely dedicated and ingenious lawyer who remains cheerful under all circumstances’.
‘Tim de Greve is the kind of man you want on your side, not against you’.
‘Excellent people, excellent collaboration, and good team with different levels of experience’.
‘Good litigation experience and skills’.
‘Jeroen Kortmann is a strong litigator, with good stakeholder management, and excellent in depth knowledge’.
Suzuki Motor Corporation
ING Bank N.V.
MAN Truck & Bus (part of Volkswagen AG)
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
ABN AMRO Bank
McCourt Global Sports and Media LLC
Barra Energia Do Brasil Petróleo E Gas Ltda.
Steinhoff International Holdings N.V.
- Advised spectacles maker EssilorLuxottica (whose brands include Ray-Ban and Oakley) in its international arbitration proceedings concerning the over €7bn acquisition of a 76.72% ownership interest in optical retailer GrandVision N.V. from its majority shareholder HAL Holding N.V.
- Defending BP in a worldwide class action before the Amsterdam District Court, the Amsterdam Court of Appeal, the Dutch Supreme Court and the European Court of Justice (ECJ), relating to the 2010 Mexican Gulf oil spill.
- Advising Daimler and Suzuki in relation to the ‘Dieselgate’ emissions scandal.
AKD has strong relations with litigation funders and often acts on the claimant side of high-profile litigation. The Benelux firm continues to see an uptick in instructions relating to financial litigation and acts for large foreign and domestic financial institutions. It is also active in the pharmaceutical and medical, food and beverage, and cosmetics sectors. Patrick Haas heads the team and is experienced in cross-border corporate disputes and collective redress cases. Thijs Hekman and Fouad el Houzi both recently made partner.
‘Clever, small teams’.
‘Focused on big lines to make the difference’.
‘Exceptionally clever lawyers, well organised and trustworthy’.
‘Good value for money’.
Stichting Truck Claim
Stichting Car Claim
Stichting Volkswagen Investor Claim (funded by Labaton Sucharow LLPand Vannin Capital)
Yukos Finance B.V.
EndemolShine Group B.V.
Royal Imtech N.V. (in bankruptcy)
Svenska Handelsbanken S.A.
LeasePlan Nederland N.V.
Centraal Beheer Achmea
Works council Eneco N.V.
Erasmus Medisch Centrum Rotterdam
Neways Electronics International N.V.
TransAtlantis Funding Lux S.a.r.l.
Cerberus Capital Management LP
Beequip B.V. (Dutch leasing company)
VIEO (Lebara Group)
- Currently representing Stichting Car Claim in multiple landmark collective redress proceedings against various car manufacturers in connection with the ongoing diesel emissions scandal.
- Assisting and representing the Yukos Foundations and their directors in their ongoing efforts to recover, preserve and distribute foreign-based Yukos assets for legitimate Yukos stakeholders.
- Representing the bankruptcy trustees of Royal Imtech in several clawback actions against former financiers of Royal Imtech, with a total claim value of EUR 1.4bn.
The Baker McKenzie team is ‘able to take a global view of disputes and focus on practical solutions’. The international firm's team acts for blue-chip clients both domestically and internationally, and focuses on export controls and trade sanctions, private cartel damages litigation and class actions. Experienced Supreme Court litigator Frank Kroes heads the practice and is a name to note for commercial and private antitrust litigation. Robert van Agteren and Itse Oosterhoff are other key practitioners.
Other key lawyers:
Robert van Agteren; Itse Oosterhoff
‘Itse Oosterhoff and his team are very professional and well organised’.
‘Their work is top notch’.
‘Their strategic advice and experience provides a sense of confidence and comfort’.
‘Very strong commercial focus, and helpful, thoughtful partners’.
‘The firms has a very unique and professional practice’.
‘Professionally prepared and good knowledge’.
‘The team is able to take a global view of the dispute and focus on practical solutions’.
‘They propose strategies and tactics both in the Netherlands and around the globe to achieve results for their clients’.
Rituals Cosmetics Enterprise B.V.
Responsive Learning Systems ApS
Royal VolkerWessels NV
Gemeentelijk Vervoerbedrijf Amsterdam
- Represented several stakeholders in XIO Group in relation to a dispute over how profits would be shared after the sale of several portfolio companies.
- Represented Italy-based company Tolo Green Slr in its joint venture dispute with its Chinese joint venture partner Shanghai Aerospace Automotive Electromechanical Co. Ltd.
- Representing Larmag Group in a dispute with Spes Bona on the failed acquisition of a EUR 105m portfolio acquisition in damages-related litigation before the Dutch courts.
The Hague-based BarentsKrans is ‘very hands on and responsive, and proceeds by way of very deep analysis and research’. It focuses on corporate, commercial and financial litigation, and stands out for its track record of Supreme Court cases. The practice is headed by Martijn van Maanen , Rieme-Jan Tjittes and William Schonewille ; with van Maanen recommended for M&A disputes, insolvency and fraud cases; Tjittes handling commercial litigation, arbitration and Supreme Court litigation; and Schonewille dealing with financial litigation for investors, consumers and financial institutions. Philip Fruytier joined from Houthoff in April 2021.
Martijn van Maanen; Rieme-Jan Tjittes; William Schonewille
Other key lawyers:
Roeland de Mol; Philip Fruytier
‘The team always provides a great knowledge of the law’.
‘The interaction with the various members of the team is very smooth’.
‘In terms of technology and IT, the team is young and very interactive, and shows a high level of practicality and knowledge in using and exploiting the technology tools’.
‘Roeland de Mol has a very pragmatic and solution-oriented approach’.
‘They understand without any difficulty very complex situations and subject matters’.
‘The team is very knowledgeable and experienced, and at the same time hands on and pragmatic’.
‘The whole process of co-operation is smooth and pleasant’.
‘The firm has a good track record on collective redress with William Schonewille and Martijn van Maanen leading the effort.’
Claims Funding Europe
Macedonian Thrace Brewery
Stichting Massaschade & Consument
The Office of the Public Prosecutor Saint Martin
- Representing the interests of several hundred corporations, including multinationals (HP, Unilever, Novartis, Ericsson, Philips, Canon, Motorola, etc.) in seeking compensation from the members of the Air Cargo Cartel.
- Acting as counsel for Fox Networks in a dispute with Ziggo about the distribution of Premier League Soccer (National and International) on TV in the Netherlands.
- Commenced a multi-million euro class action for consumers of Airbnb aiming at a full refund of all service costs paid by consumers.
Clifford Chance handles a broad range of litigation and arbitration matters, utilising ‘one the strongest defence counsel teams’. It is particularly experienced in restructuring and insolvency-related litigation and acts for states, international companies, financial institutions and investors. Co-head of practice Dirk-Jan Duynstee focuses on corporate and securities litigation, while counsel Juliette Luycks, who also co-heads the team, is recommended for arbitration. Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer is no stranger to international dispute resolution and often handles class action suits.
Dirk-Jan Duynstee; Juliette Luycks
Other key lawyers:
Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer
‘The firm has a strong banking and finance litigation practice’.
‘Dirk-Jan Duynstee is pleasant and razor sharp at the same time’.
‘Dirk-Jan Duynstee is able to oversee multiple jurisdictions and different areas of law in highly complex cases’.
‘Dirk-Jan Duynstee has a team of highly qualified and intelligent lawyers that support him and his cases’.
‘Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer stands out in the market; he is really smart and a quick thinker’.
‘Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer always has a solution for every problem’.
‘Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer always remains friendly and he is pleasure to work with’.
‘The team has raised its profile with the hire of seasoned class action litigator Daan Lunsingh Scheurleer.’
The Dutch Ministry of Finance
Lucerne Capital Management LP
Crédit Agricole S.A.
ING Bank N.V.
Republic of Ecuador
Damen Shipyards Group N.V.
- Advised Lucerne Capital Management in litigation proceedings around Altice Europe N.V., a Dutch listed company.
- Defending Deloitte Accountants (NL) in pending and threatened cross-border collective claims brought by creditors and shareholders of Steinhoff International Holdings NV for alleged audit malpractice in the courts of The Netherlands, with parallel proceedings being threatened in Germany and South Africa.
DLA Piper is able to draw on support from the firm's huge global network for support in multi-jurisdictional litigation, and focuses on cases in the finance, corporate and construction sectors. Marnix Holtzer heads the practice - his work has a particular emphasis on corporate litigation and governance matters. Commercial litigator Ewald Netten focuses on financing, securities and insolvency matters, while managing partner Paul Hopman is recommended for financial regulatory issues. Michiel Coenraads is a name to note for international arbitration and ESG-related disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Hopman; Ewald Netten; Michiel Coenraads
‘DLA Piper delivers the required quality – top quality, that is.’
‘Ewald Netten and Simone Zwartenkot are outstanding lawyers and great people to work with.’
Dredging, Environmental and Marine Engineering
Eiffel Energy Transition Funds
European Bank for Restructuring and Development
Generali Insurance Asset Management
World Freight Company
- Representing Christo Wiese, majority shareholder of the Steinhoff Group, and his investment vehicles in several high-profile multijurisdictional cases relating to the Steinhoff’s group 2017 accounting scandal.
- Representing Generali in a multimillion and multijurisdictional bond dispute.
- Acting for 15 former board members of SNS Reaal and SNSBank, the bank and insurance company that was nationalised by the Dutch state in 2013.
Evers Soerjatin is ‘an excellent litigation boutique’ with ‘a pragmatic and cost-efficient approach’. Well-known for high-end corporate and commercial disputes work, the practice has a huge amount of experience in representing clients before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal. Marcel Evers co-heads the team and acts for businesses, shareholders and directors in corporate disputes. Stein van Thiel , who also co-heads the team, is recommended for corporate governance and insolvency matters; Jonas Verheul is also recommended. Ellen Soerjatin stepped down into an of counsel role.
Marcel Evers; Stein van Thiel
Other key lawyers:
Jonas Verheul; Jessica de Rooij; Ellen Soerjatin
‘Practical, solution-driven, down-to-earth and client-minded’.
‘The Evers team is extremely responsive, knowledgeable and professional’.
‘They inspire confidence and are a pleasure to work with’.
‘A specialist litigation boutique with profound knowledge and experience in Enterprise Chamber proceedings’.
‘They stand out in performing difficult, high-profile cases under high time pressure’.
‘Jonas Verheul and Stein van Thiel combine profound and excellent knowledge of corporate and procedural law with a strategic and hands-on approach of complex high-profile cases’.
‘A lot of knowledge of the real estate industry, very flexible and willing to do their utmost’.
‘Evers Soerjatin is a valued partner for complex cases’.
All Dutch Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda and Porsche dealers and service partners
United Dutch Breweries
Various parties affected by the expropriation of SNS Reaal by the Dutch Minister of Finance
- Representing all Dutch Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda and Porsche dealers in the collective actions initiated by Stichting Volkswagen Car Claim and Stichting Diesel Emissions Justice on the emission matter.
- Acting on behalf of Burford in various matters, including against Steinhoff in respect of claims of investment funds with a total value of approximately EUR 422m.
- Representing an international airline in the cartel damages claim proceedings before the Amsterdam District Court.
Linklaters‘ dispute resolution group is ‘very responsive and a pleasure to work with’, and has a strong reputation in the market for representing large bluechip clients in high-profile international litigation. It is particularly experienced in class actions suits relating to securities litigation, banking litigation and cartel damages litigation. Head of practice Daniella Strik - an 'absolute superstar of a lawyer' - leads on an array of impressive cases in the finance and energy sectors. Gerard Meijer is recommended for arbitration.
Other key lawyers:
‘Daniella Strik is a very strong performer in complex matters, combining a solid legal approach with an impressive ability to manage complex multi-party proceedings and settlements with a lot of actors’.
‘Gerard Meijer is a very strong performer in the market for international arbitration’.
‘Very dedicated litigation team’.
‘Thorough litigators, they never give up and are fast and creative’.
‘The team has demonstrated an extraordinary ability to coordinate the handling and coordination of a range of cross-border disputes defended by the client, as well as to deal with commercial negotiations with a range of stakeholders’.
‘Daniella Strik stands out in the Linklaters team and in the market; she is diligent and strategically one of the best’.
‘It is better to have Daniella Strik on your side than against you’.
‘Daniella Strik is an absolute superstar of a lawyer’.
Steinhoff International Holdings N.V.
ING Bank N.V.
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc
South Stream Transport B.V.
DELA Holding N.V.
Clearstream Banking AG
Deutsche Börse AG
Zimmer GmbH, Zimmer Biomet Nederland B.V.
Koninklijke VolkerWessels N.V.
Griffin Real Estate Sp. z o.o.
- Represented Steinhoff in defence of all Dutch class and individual actions initiated against it in relation to EUR 12bn value securities claims following the disclosure of accounting irregularities.
- Acting as counsel for South Stream in relation to a dispute between South Stream and a former subcontractor involved in the construction of the TurkStream (the pipeline across the Black Sea)in the Netherlands Commercial Court.
- Representing Air France, as one of the main defendants in five Dutch follow-up damages proceedings based on the European Commission (EC) decision of 9 November 2010 relating to an alleged air cargo cartel.
Van Doorne’s team ‘consists of strong litigators and negotiators, who always provide the best solutions and results’. The firm has recently grown its practice in the arbitration, white-collar crime and IP and IT spheres, complementing its already strong insurance litigation practice. Head of team Jasper Leedekerken focuses on commercial and corporate litigation and acts for domestic and international clients, including acting as local counsel for top international law firms. Sjoerd Kamerbeek is recommended for M&A-related disputes and often acts before the Enterprise Chamber.
‘Very good, hands-on advice and a pleasure to work with’.
‘Strong combination of commercial litigation and arbitration’.
‘Sjoerd Kamerbeek has a great drive and is very pragmatic and creative to find solutions for complex litigation situations; at the same time he has a very sound strategical view’.
‘Solid, great communication, and fun to work with’.
‘The individuals are down to earth and always reiterate the legal situation without unnecessary legalese’.
‘I worked closely with Sjoerd Kamerbeek on a major international dispute – he is perceptive, commercially astute, strong technically and very diligent’.
‘Lisette Bieleveld is a very competent lawyer and communicator as well as a strong personality’.
‘Jasper Leederkerken and Sjoerd Kamerbeek are full of energy; both are quick thinkers and a pleasure to work with’.
Waarborgfonds Sociale Woningbouw
Innsworth Advisors Limited
Dutch City Development
- Advised Elliott Management on its activist campaign against the public bid on Altice.
- Advised the Dutch State Lottery in a wide range of class action claims before the lower, high court and the Supreme Court following misleading advertisements.
- Advised KPMG in liability, complaint and arbitration proceedings following the largest Dutch bankruptcy of a listed company, Imtech.
The Amsterdam-based bureau Brandeis is ‘a unique boutique firm'. The practice has a track record of work on high-profile class action suits and represents public interest organisations, litigation funders, donors and hedge funds. 'Dedicated and experienced litigators' Frank Peters and Louis Berger head the practice. Jozua van der Beek left to found Zenas Legal.
Frank Peters; Louis Berger
Other key lawyers:
‘We frequently work together on a number of complex and innovative cases; the spirit of cooperation is always a pleasure’.
‘Floor Eikelboom is a specialist in chasing after debtors who try to hide themselves and assets behind specific structures and in foreign countries’.
‘Specialist and profound knowledge of Enterprise Chamber proceedings, in combination with outstanding sparring partner capabilities make Bureau Brandeis, and Floor Eikelboom specifically, the ideal sparring partner for complex corporate litigation cases’.
‘Louis Berger and Frank Peters are both dedicated and experienced litigators’.
‘Strong, approachable team willing to go the extra mile in crunch situations’.
‘The cooperation of the team is unique, where lawyers are working hard on documents the partner comes in reviewing the process and always finds ways to improve things’.
‘The team works very thoroughly on complex cases and continues where other firms stop’.
‘Louis Berger and Floor Eikelboom are exceptionally driven lawyers who go out of their way to bring a case to a good conclusion’.
Foundation The Privacy Collective
Stichting Trucks Cartel Recovery
Stichting Hippo Mundo Charity
Unilegion (Trucks Claims Stichting)
Diesel Emissions Justice Foundation
Minority Shareholders Yukos
The Children’s Investment Fund (TCI)
- Acting as Counsel to DEJF, a newly incorporated claim vehicle, which was one of the first to file a class action under the new WAMCA legislation in relation to several diesel fraud cases.
- Together with Grant & Eisenhofer, and KTMC, representing South African pension fund PIC and several other institutional investors against Steinhoff and Deloitte, to recover billions of dollars in securities losses caused by fraud.
- Representing the Foundation The Privacy Collective, funded by Innsworth Advisory, in its EUR 10bn class action against Oracle and Salesforce, in view of its structural breaches of GDPR in the Real Time Bidding process.
Dentons offers ‘strong international connections combined with great knowledge of local issues’. Its core focus is corporate and commercial litigation, and the team is also experienced in antitrust litigation and cartel cases. Experienced litigator Michel Deckers heads the practice with notable expertise in corporate and securities litigation. Anouk Rosielle is recommended for cross-border disputes and insolvency litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Their advice is thorough, without losing view of the practical necessities and commercial aspects’.
‘They are not only pointing out academic legal risks, but also solutions’.
‘Anouk Rosielle is very responsive and reliable’.
‘Anouk Rosielle is very hands on, practical and a very pleasant personality’.
‘I really appreciate Dentons’ commercial litigation team: it is an absolute pleasure to work with the the team in high profile matters’.
‘They are strategic, to-the-point, and razor sharp’.
‘Anouk Rosielle is very clever, witty and creative’.
‘Michel Deckers is a very experienced team leader and he always provides appropriate solutions’.
United Vansen International Sports Co Ltd
Bio Energie Centrale Cuijk (BECC)
Stichting Administratiekantoor Funda
PM Principle Marketing
Shanghai Aerospace Automobile Electromechanical Co.
- Acting for Pallas Foundation/TBI Holdings in high-profile joint venture dispute that has hit the headlines in the Netherlands over failures and delays arising out of the construction of a new $400m nuclear facility.
- Advising Japan Airlines in third-party proceedings initiated by Air France-KLM and Martinair.
- Advising Vestel in Dutch legal proceedings in relation to a global cartel involving manufacturers of components for computers and tube televisions.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer's Netherlands commercial litigation team is ‘excellent and covers all areas of complex commercial disputes’. It is particularly experienced in defending collective redress proceedings and also handles cartel follow-on cases. The UK magic circle firm's international platform means it is well placed to handles cross-border mandates with support from other jurisdictions. Jeroen Van Hezewijk heads the practice and is well versed in corporate litigation, including post-M&A disputes.
Jeroen van Hezewijk
Other key lawyers:
‘Prompt reactions and excellent advice’.
‘Jeroen van Hezewijk is good on the intellectual side’.
‘Jeroen van Hezewijk is very knowledgeable, whilst having a very practical and down to earth approach, which makes it very easy to work with him’.
‘Reliable, quick, sharp-minded and with extremely good oversight in complex multinational litigation’.
‘Jeroen van Hezewijk is very well coordinated and reliable even in tough situations’.
BD (C.R. Bard)
- Representing Volkswagen AG and its subsidiaries in a large consumer class action in the Netherlands, relating to the Dieselgate-issue.
- Representing ABB in landmark cartel follow-on litigation.
- Representing inter alia Barclays against damage claims brought by Dutch social housing corporation Vestia in a Dutch derivatives case.
The ‘very reliable, technically strong, efficient and client-oriented team’ at Stek handles a wide range of litigation and has notable expertise in contractual and tort-law liability, and the enforcement of court orders. Practice co-head Gerben Smit is a ‘sharp litigator’ and is recommended for transaction-related disputes. Jan Bart van de Hel, who jointly heads the team, handles banking and finance litigation, and corporate litigation. Max Hetterscheidt has been promoted to counsel, and senior associate Simon Boersen joined from Stibbe.
Jan Bart van de Hel; Gerben Smit
Other key lawyers:
Max Hetterscheidt; Tanja Schasfoort; Simon Boersen
‘Solid expertise in arbitration and litigation’.
‘The team is pragmatic and has a very hands-on approach’.
‘Gerben Smit is a quick thinker who provides excellent strategic advice’.
‘Tanja Schasfoort is a bright lawyer and very organised’.
‘Jan Bart van de Hel provides expertise, availability and very efficient work’.
‘Jan Bart van de Hel is an excellent litigation lawyer’.
‘The team is very well balanced with a perfect mix of experience, strategic thinkers and outstanding litigators’.
‘Jan Bart van der Hel, Gerben Smit, Tanja Schasfoort and Simon Boersen are all skilled lawyers and very nice to work with’.
Atlas Air/Polar Air Cargo
Corendon Holiday Group
Dynamic Credit Group
LitFin Capital Limited
Thomas Cook (bankruptcy estate)
Total Specific Solutions
- Representing Corendon Holiday Group in litigation against Sunweb/Triton claiming specific performance under a Share Purchase Agreement to close the transaction and claim damages.
- Representing Angolan state owned company Unitel in relation to its >450m euro international dispute with Mrs Dos Santos and some of her companies.
- Representing Airopack in multiple complex Dutch court cases against, among others, its former board members.
The ‘outstanding litigation practice’ at Wijn & Stael Advocaten N.V. is well regarded in the market for its experience in class actions. The practice has notable expertise in financial disputes and insolvency matters, and often handles proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber. The team is headed by Supreme Court litigator Thijs van Zanten and Stefan Holterman, who is recommended for corporate governance, shareholder, acquisition and commercial disputes. Since publication, Koen Rutten left the firm.
Stefan Holterman; Thijs van Zanten
‘Outstanding litigation practice’.
‘Super available, down-to-earth, real-life advice’.
‘Excellent capability for mass claim litigation and insolvency law’.
‘The legal knowledge of the team is exceptional’.
‘The quality of the work they deliver and the speed with which they deliver it is equally exceptional’.
‘The team is also a great sparring partner when it comes to making strategic decisions’.
Upper Brook Companies
Hudson’s Bay Company ULC
- Representing Stichting R.O.O.S. in various proceedings, defending the interests of the expropriated bondholders of SNS Bank.
- Representing California Public Employees’ retirement system, Norges Bank, Fidelity Investment Funds, Kookmin Bank (South Korea), HSBC, Allianz, State Street Bank and others – together with Deminor on a claim for damages of approximately EUR 700m against Steinhoff, members of its board and the chairman of its supervisory board.
- Represented Promontoria in preliminary reference proceedings before the Dutch Supreme Court.
The ‘technically very strong, highly pragmatic and cost-effective’ dispute resolution team at Bird & Bird is known for its strength in IP matters, but is also strong in insurance and liability litigation, corporate litigation and financial matters. ‘Super sharp‘ practice head Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa is an experienced Supreme Court litigator and is recommended for cross-border commercial disputes, while Olaf Trojan focuses on media and technology matters. Johan Polet joined from joined Simmons & Simmons in December 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Johan Polet; Olaf Trojan
‘Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa is an outstanding attorney with unique legal skill’.
‘Quality, knowledge, legal skills and they listen to the client’.
‘Technically very strong, highly pragmatic and cost-effective’.
‘Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa is a star – super sharp, responsive and pragmatic’.
‘Evelyn Tjon En-Fa and her team cut through noise and conjecture and deal efficiently and practically with legal issues’.
‘A smooth operating and well-oiled team’.
‘Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa is immediately fully engaged in the case you bring forward.’
‘Evelyn Tjon-en-Fa is very smart, very driven and easy to approach’.
Palladyne International Asset Management
Intellectual Property Agency for the Benelux
YELO Enterprises Ltd
- Acting for an international asset management company in a large number of connected litigation cases with claims worth over $100m.
- Advising and representing leading multinationals in matters concerning unlawful government actions, with claims leading up to hundreds of millions of euros.
- Assisting a major energy company in a claim issued by the Dutch State for an alleged lack of funds for the dismantling of a nuclear power plant in 2014.
The CMS team is well regarded for combining 'large firm firepower with boutique firm knowledge and assistance’. With strong support from its substantial international network, the practice is well placed to handle cross-border disputes and is active in the corporate, financial, commercial, construction and energy sectors. Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter recently joined from Kennedy Van der Laan and now heads the team alongside Leonard Böhmer and Peter Soede.
Leonard Böhmer; Peter Soede; Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter
Other key lawyers:
‘Good all-round team with a can-do mentality’.
‘Tenacious and practical’.
‘Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter is very exceptional and to be credited’.
‘Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter’s bedside manner is very pleasant for clients and experts’.
‘Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter is an outstanding lawyer, who made a clever transfer from Kennedy van der Laan to CMS’.
‘Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter is the go-to guy when it comes to litigation within CMS Amsterdam, since he manoeuvres cautiously and with a clear strategy’.
‘We experience good collaboration within the team supporting us and very effective and professional interaction’.
‘Petra Heemskerk is a winner and her deep knowledge and expertise, excellent communication skills and can-do attitude make her extremely effective’.
Royal BAM Group
BASF Polyurethanes GmbH
Mitsui O.S.K. Lines
Hubei Forbon Technology Co Ltd
KNHB – Royal Dutch Hockey Association
Chubb European Group Limited
Johnson & Johnson
- Represented Chinese-listed company Forbon in complex international corporate litigation about a dispute about the acquisition of Holland Novochem.
- Successfully defended BASF against a claim from Beter Bed following a 2017 recall.
- Winning a landmark case on medical devices for Johnson & Johnson against a Chinese medical device company Fengh Medical, that offered infringing imitation products in various EU countries and ME.
Eversheds Sutherland (Netherlands) B.V. is able to draw on the wider firm's international network for support in cross-border cases; the practice has particular experience in commercial, corporate and finance disputes. It assists clients with pre-litigation advice, and summary and main court proceedings in various Dutch courts. Yuri Wehrmeijer and Gidget Brugman head the practice; with Wehrmeijer recommended for contract disputes and professional liability matters; and Brugman recommended for financial litigation, including class actions. Rob Faasen left for an in-house role at Risk Capital Advisors.
Yuri Wehrmeijer; Gidget Brugman
‘Very good follow-up, strong legal arguments, and close and friendly communication’.
‘Pleasant to work with’.
‘Yuri Wehrmeijer has strong legal knowledge and took over our case on short notice, arguing it perfectly in court’.
‘Yuri Wehrmeijer took a firm position and was able to communicate this in a very solid and professional way’.
‘Yuri Wehmerijer is willing to discover unexplored areas and enter into them with courage’.
National Joint Stock Company Naftogaz of Ukraine
Mark Four Enterprises B.V.
Stichting Bedrijfspensioenfonds AVH
Johnson Controls International
Florent’s commercial litigation team ‘combines a high level of knowledge and legal skills with a great dedication to the client’. Housing a number of experienced litigators, the team acts for both claimants and defendants on high-profile cases in the finance, public and industrial sectors. Practice co-head Yvette Borrius specialises in liability, corporate governance and corporate litigation; while Chris Jager, who jointly leads the team, is recommended for cross-border litigation and arbitration.
Yvette Borrius; Chris Jager
Other key lawyers:
‘Yvette Borrius and her team were helpful in explaining the unique nature of Dutch law, which was particularly helpful to her American clients’.
‘Florent’s team were very knowledgeable of the applicable Netherlands law, and worked well with our team of US lawyers who were advising the US parent’.
‘Yvette Borrius was very responsive to our needs, and always made herself available for discussions, despite the time difference between our respective offices’.
‘The team has a very broad expertise and they can help you with all the aspects of a dispute’.
‘Yvette Borrius is very experienced, very cooperative and nice to work with’.
‘I work a lot with Yvette Borrius and she is a bright, calm and thoughtful litigator’.
‘Chris Jager and his team are very client-dedicated’.
‘They live up to the deadlines provided and provide top-of-the class advice’.
Hydro S.R.L. vs Republic of Albania
European Pharmaceuticals International B.V. and Medstone Holding B.V. Nodmarcian Europe BV
Former CEO of Steinhoff International Holdings N.V.
Art.com, Art International & Art NL
Renault SA and group companies
Former Board Royal Imtech N.V. / group companies
- Representing Hydro et al. in an appeal against a decision concerning ‘immunity from execution’ related to the seizing of claims from Albania on Eni Albania B.V. within the context of enforcing, in the Netherlands, an Arbitral Award from the International Centre for Settlement of Investments Disputes against the Republic of Albania for an amount exceeding EUR 108m.
- Representing the former CEO of Steinhoff International Holdings N.V. and group companies in five proceedings before the Dutch courts, including class action claims.
Höcker Advocaten is particularly experienced in disputes in the banking and financial sectors and often handles cases with international aspects. Marc Wolters heads the practice, which was recently bolstered by the arrival of Jolien van Woudenberg, who joined from Suez Advocaten. Koos van den Berg left to become a judge at the Court of Appeal Amsterdam.
Other key lawyers:
Jolien van Woudenberg
‘Highly personalised and skilled client service’.
‘Great attention to detail’.
‘In addition to great skill, Marc Wolters approaches each matter with a strong focus on integrity’.
‘Marc Wolters is a thoughtful, intelligent and highly ethical practitioner’.
‘They draw up good legal procedural documents and make good pleas’.
‘Good consultation with the client’.
Omnicom (TBWA, DDB, BBDO)
TCC Global N.V.
Stichting de Thuiskopie
Rojanets Investments LLC and Lee Lokey
Suncycle Holding N.V.
Sony Interactive Entertainment Benelux B.V.
- Representing a large group of mainly international investors whose assets were expropriated, regarding investments of approximately EUR 17m.
- Advising Recalcico Beheer B.V. on behalf of the aggrieved minority shareholders of Xeikon leading to a multimillion settlement in 2020.
- Representing the foundation Stichting GOWP on behalf of 320 aggrieved parties in four separate procedures.
Jones Day offers ‘a complementary team with diverse talents’, and is recommended for corporate disputes. Gerjanne te Winkel heads the practice and has considerable experience in shareholder, professional liability and securities disputes, and also cross-border litigation. The team often handles cases before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeals.
Gerjanne te Winkel
Other key lawyers:
‘Complementary team with diverse talents; diversity in gender, and age and experience’.
‘They deliver on time and the quality is good’.
‘Pleasant attitude and a good sparring partner for the client’.
‘Their knowledge is good’.
‘Excellent team qualities in terms of experience, combined with fresh juniors, who have a winning spirit’.
‘Valuable input from colleagues of other sections with an open mind towards external experts’.
‘Gerjanne te Winkel challenges us in delivering the right input to build a winning case’.
‘Gerjanne te Winkel really makes an effort to understand’.
ASR Property Fund N.V., ASR Dutch Prime Retail Custodian B.V. and ASR Utrecht Real Estate Investments Netherlands B.V.
Kroonenberg Groep B.V. and Kalverpassage B.V.
Herkules Capital AS and Herkules Private Equity Fund III
Charlius Amsterdam Hotel Property B.V.
Kennedy Van der Laan
Kennedy Van der Laan acts for both domestic and international clients on complex cross-border disputes, and has recently seen an uptick in collective actions instructions. Christoph Jeloschek co-heads the team and has considerable experience in cross-border litigation, particularly in the IT sector. Martine de Koning also co-heads the team and is recommended for commercial disputes.
Christoph Jeloschek; Martine de Koning
Other key lawyers:
Veerle van Druenen; Isabel van Tuyll van Serooskerken
‘They are very professional and render timely legal services’.
‘They precisely examine all the details of the work that needs to be done’.
‘They are very down to earth and hands on, and do not make things overly complicated’.
‘Litigators Veerle van Druenen and Christoph Jeloschek are excellent and likeable’.
‘Good command of cross-border disputes, easy to work with, and a good understanding of differences between legal systems’.
‘Christoph Jeloschek is particularly skilled in dealing with cross-border litigation, in particular with German-speaking law firms and clients due to his Austrian legal background’.
‘The team has a great expertise in the field and is very supportive of the client’.
‘Isabel van Tuyll van Serooskerken is an outstanding professional and very focused on commercial litigation’.
Nike and Converse
Trouw Nutrition (part of Nutreco)
UCI (Union Cyclists Internationale)
ABN AMRO Bank
- Lodged three major class actions in relation to the diesel-fraud committed by Mercedes, Renault, Opel, Citroën, Peugeot and their software-supplier Bosch under the new collective action regime in The Netherlands.
- Started one of the first fully-fledged cases before the recently-established Netherlands Commercial Court (NCC) on behalf of Turkish energy operator Meric against its Dutch supplier of wind turbines for a major energy project.
- Successfully defended NIKE in a major international case regarding validity of its selective distribution policy under EU competition law.
The Lexence litigation team offers ‘top-notch service and razor-sharp knowledge on commercial litigation’. The team is well known for commercial and corporate litigation and is active in the energy, IT, media, financial services and real estate sectors. Timo Jansen co-heads the team and is recommended for contractual disputes and professional liability cases, while Bram Thomas Craemer , who also co-heads the team, handles commercial disputes.
Bram Thomas Craemer; Timo Jansen
Other key lawyers:
‘We were particularly pleased by Timo Jansen’s ability to identify the major points of a complex case and condense them to a 30-minute compelling speech before the court’.
‘They work in small teams with highly experienced lawyers so the costs of litigation stays manageable’.
‘Bram Thomas Craemer is an outstanding litigator with a clear vision of how to approach a dispute strategically and pragmatically’.
‘With Bram Thomas Craemer, you can expect honest advice and a lawyer who will go through fire for his clients’.
‘Bram Thomas Craemer has a high degree of substantive knowledge and proper ethical standards’.
‘Down-to-earth, practical input, with partner involvement’.
‘Mean and lean, and quick in forming opinions’.
Stern Automotive Group
Vistra Corporate Services
GREEN Real Estate
Burckhardt Compression A.G.
Bencis Capital Partners B.V.
- Represented Cyprus-based Axon Neuorscience SE in a €100m plus debt restructuring conflict with PPF Investments.
- Representing the Dutch state owned de Volksbank N.V. in a high profile governance conflict involving the replacement of board members and a board room dynamics investigation that resulted in various injunctive relief proceedings.
- Representing dmarcian, Inc. in a multijurisdictional conflict on the termination of its cooperation with dmarcian Europe B.V.
Norton Rose Fulbright has notable experience in disputes in the financial services and energy sectors, and acts for large financial institutions and global corporates. Yke Lennartz co-heads the team and is recommended for international commercial disputes, post-M&A issues and financial disputes. Jan Duyvensz also co-heads the team and handles insurance matters.
Yke Lennartz; Jan Duyvensz
AmTrust at Lloyd’s Limited
DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale
ING Capital LLC, ING Bank N.V.
Rotterdam World Gateway
Helios Market, Product & Production Development B.V.
BMO/ Rokin 17 B.V.
John Bean Technologies
MTU Maintenance Lease Services B.V.
- Acting as defence counsel on behalf of a well-known lawyer in relation to complex court proceedings regarding a professional liability dispute.
- Representing a conglomerate in $29m ICC arbitration proceedings seated in Brazil in relation to a post-M&A dispute revolving around prestigious real estate in South America.
- Advising and representing Stichting Uniconsult in respect of a dispute with D-rt Groep and its shareholder Raiffeisen Touristik Group GmbH in relation to the repayment of a loan.
Rotterdam-based Ploum is well known in the market; the firm's team handles a range of disputes, including those relating to contracts, corporate, insurance, insolvency, real estate and product liability. The team, which has Dutch Supreme Court capabilities, is headed by Maurice Verhoeven , who is recommended for professional liability and handles cases before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeal.
Other key lawyers:
Natalie Vloemans; Michel Jacobs; Dorine ten Brink
‘Maurice Verhoeven communicates clearly and unambiguously’.
‘Maurice Verhoeven knows how to clearly communicate the point of view or defence of our insured and of us as insurer’.
‘Our first contact with Ploum was with a senior partner who took the time to respond quickly in a time sensitive matter’.
‘They took the time to listen and understand the case’.
‘They are thorough and did their research’.
‘The team stays grounded and focused during stressful times and time-sensitive matters’.
‘When needed they were available for meetings, produced the necessary documents on time and secondly they were always available to comfort us’.
‘Maurice Verhoeven took ownership, managed expectations, was brutally honest and stood firm for his opinion’.
Deloitte Accountants B.V.
AIG Europe Limited, Netherlands
Liesker Procesfinanciering B.V. Stichting Loterij Incasso Mark Four Enterprises B.V.
HDI Global Speciality
L.J. Boer Beheer B.V.
Koninklijke Volker Wessels Stevin N.V.
Koole Tankstorage Botlek B.V. / Odfjell Terminals B.V.
Peterson Control Union
Klap No Risk B.V.
NPO (Stichting Nederlandse Publieke Omroep / Dutch Broadcasting Union)
Liander Infra N.V.
ATM B.V. / Renewi Nederland B.V.
- Assisting Klap No Risk in relation to events cancelled by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Assisting L.J. Boer Beheer B.V. in inquiry proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeal in Amsterdam.
- Representing Chemours and DuPont in litigation against four municipalities that claim compensation for C8 (PFOA) and GenX-related contamination.
Simmons & Simmons
The commercial litigation team at Simmons & Simmons is part of its wider dispute resolution offering and focuses on finance, corporate, professional liability, medical and technology-related matters. Niek Peters heads the practice and acts for states, large international companies and banks on high-profile cross-border cases. Counsel Robert Verburg is recommended for financial and commercial disputes, including insolvency issues.
Other key lawyers:
Robert Verburg; Jonathan Bakker
‘Outstanding knowledge of law’.
‘Responsive and open-minded’.
‘Niek Peters has great academic background that really helps to solve the most difficult questions’.
‘Niek Peters is always available and is always concerned with the client’s matter’.
Energeia Asset Management
Gilde Equity Management
Nippon Cargo Airlines
Tsareva and 32 other individuals
- Represent Nippon Cargo Airlines Co., Ltd (NCA) in proceedings against KLM, Air France, Lufthansa and British Airways regarding the Air Cargo Cartel, with a monetary value exceeding EUR 200m.
- Representing Mazars in relation to professional liability claims with regards to allegedly erroneous tax advice.
Windt Le Grand Leeuwenburgh is well known in the market for its insolvency and restructuring expertise, and it also handles wider corporate and commercial disputes. Irene Tax us recommended for shareholder, professional liability and partnership disputes, while Ruben Leeuwenburgh handles corporate litigation. Bart Gerretsen and Richard le Grand are also recommended.
Irene Tax; Richard Le Grand; Ruben Leeuwenburgh; Bart Gerretsen
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Jansen; Abdel Tahtah
‘The team consists of a good mix of experienced partners and ambitious talents’.
‘The firm offers good value for money, and is highly experienced in our industry’.
‘Richard le Grand is a trusted partner of us for more then a decade; with his knowledge of our industry, he’s very capable of providing solid advice that suits our business and our way of working’.
‘Richard le Grand is a true hands-on litigator’.
‘Richard le Grand’s recent appointment as deputy judge in Amsterdam is well deserved and a true testimony of his capabilities’.
‘The team gave me confidence in their approach from the first engagement’.
They developed strategies which were very successful for the client and demonstrated their technical excellence’.
D&O’s in relation to Cunico Resources N.V.
ZEP Holding Benelux (easyhotels)
Miedema and Van Roozendaal / SURF
Telor International Ltd.
Leaderland (Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam High Court)
Mammoet Nederland B.V. and Mammoet Deutschland GmBH
BB Capital Management B.V.
D&O’s Darion Capital Management
- Defending two former directors of FENI in claims related to the wider Cunico v. Macedonia case.
- Acting for Fitland, the Dutch sport and fitness chain, in its post M&A dispute against Basic-Fit.
- Acting for one of the founders of EasyHotel Benelux in a €150m dispute with a UK investor regarding the enforcement of multimillion-euro security rights.
Amsterdam-based dispute resolution boutique Ysquare fields a team of ‘incredibly smart and very dedicated professionals’. The firm was founded in 2019 and is known for national and international commercial litigation, arbitration and corporate disputes. It has recently been handling the defence of some high-profile class action suits. Rufus Abeln is a key practitioner; Bregje Korthals Altes joined from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek.
Other key lawyers:
Bregje Korthals Altes; Rufus Abeln; Robbert Jan van der Weijden
‘In-depth knowledge of the arbitration practice combined with a unique easy approachable, down to earth attitude and pragmatic advice’.
‘A good professional team’.
‘Ysquare has extensive expertise in joint venture litigation, including exit-related disputes and litigation’.
‘They are pro-active and excellent in strategic advice, and at the same time understand the reality of a company’s priorities’.
‘Rufus Abeln has provided tailor-made, pragmatic strategic advice throughout the process, and has been available at any time’.
‘Rufus Abeln is a young partner in the firm with a tremendous drive and capacity’.
Waterland Private Equity
MAD Atelier International
- Representing Oracle in legal proceedings defending against a EUR 10bn claim.
- Advising and representing multiple Dutch (listed) multinational companies in resolving commercial disputes and corporate disputes.
- Representing various parties in mass claim cases, including claimants, defendants as well as multiple foundations in implementing mass investor claim settlements, and resolving related disputes.
act Fort Advocaten acts for range of domestic and international clients, handling civil litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution, and often handles cases before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeal in Amsterdam. Berth Brouwer is the key practitioner and is recommended for corporate and commercial disputes in the food and beverage, real estate, IT, retail and automotive sectors.
‘Berth Brouwer has considerable experience in dispute resolution’.
‘Berth Brouwer is able to establish very quickly the legal issues of a dispute while at the same moment judging the possibilities for solving issues in a practical way’.
‘Clients feel comfortable with the careful attitude of Berth Brouwer and team’.
‘Berth Brouwer has visible experience and is a very friendly person; consequently you feel comfortable as a client’.
‘Practical advice, very responsive, fast service and very approachable’.
‘Berth Brouwer is very competent and a very nice guy’.
Stadion Arnhem (Nedstede Holding)
JD Sports Fashion B.V.
Hein Schilder Groep B.V.
Go-Tan Beheer B.V.
Libra International B.V.
M&M Hoofd Holding B.V.
Uitgeverij Ars Scribendi B.V.
DDH Holding B.V.
Sports Unlimited Retail B.V.
- Represented the franchisees of Albert Heijn in a complex and long-running matter on financial settlements against franchisor Albert Heijn.
- Advising hotel chain Amrâth Hotels & Restaurants in a dispute with pension fund ROV around the construction of a high profile tower building in the centre of the city of Utrecht.
- Represented Nedstede on a dispute between premier division soccer club Vitesse and Stadion Arnhem over Vitesse’s attempt to avoid rental repayments and with regards to a claim to terminate the lease of the stadium.
Brande & Verheij LLP
Brande & Verheij LLP is a disputes and litigation specialist firm which was founded in May 2019. It is experienced in arbitration, collective redress and cartel damages cases, and handles litigation in the commercial, corporate, construction and financial sectors. Jeroen van den Brande and Theodoor Verheij head the team.
Jeroen van den Brande; Theodoor Verheij
‘They are very strategic and always three steps ahead’.
‘A diverse team with the law as common denominator’.
‘Supplemented with strong skill sets in strategy, operations, IT and finance’.
‘A very customer-focused team and a true asset in commercial litigation’.
‘The entire team shares enthusiasm and a strong work ethos’.
‘Jeroen van den Brande brings experience, strategy and technical knowledge whilst Theodoor Verheij excels in the overall management of a matter’.
‘Very approachable, down-to-earth and quick to respond to all our questions’.
‘Excellent lawyers for complicated and lengthy litigation’.
Stichting Cartel Compensation
Stichting Trucks Cartel Compensation
Pfizer Ireland Pharmaceuticals
Vinci Energies S.A.
Van Oord Nederland B.V.
Van Oord UK Limited
Municipality of Rotterdam (Gemeente Rotterdam)
- Representing a group of more than 250 companies, who suffered damages in the hundreds of millions as a result of a worldwide cartel in respect of air cargo services.
- Representing a group of thousands of companies and governmental entities, who suffered damages in the hundreds of millions as a result of the European Trucks cartel.
- Represented Vinci Energies S.A. in arbitration proceedings against the trustees in the bankruptcy of Royal Imtech N.V. Vinci had several claims under an SPA pursuant to which it purchased the ICT division of Imtech.
Buren has offices in Amsterdam and The Hague, and is also well placed to handle China matters by virtue of its Beijing and Shanghai bases. It handles both domestic and international litigation, with a focus on corporate governance disputes, shareholder issues and post-M&A conflicts. The team is headed by Philip ter Burg , Li Jiao , Jonathan Gal , Paul Josephus Jitta and the Beijing-based Jan Holthuis .
Philip ter Burg; Jan Holthuis; Li Jiao; Jonathan Gal; Paul Josephus Jitta
Other key lawyers:
‘The services provided by Buren are highly specialised and of a high quality’.
‘They are in permanent contact with the client and give a lot of security’.
‘Paul Josephus Jitta is the person who manages our affairs and his dedication and professionalism are greatly appreciated in the case he is defending before the Dutch courts’.
‘In-depth knowledge of the Spanish language is very important and appreciated in our case’.
Cathay Pacific Airways Limited
Interlink Metals & Chemicals AG
Spherex Hong Kong Ltd.
Integrated Green Energy Solutions
HZPC Holding B.V.
Cloud Technology Solutions Limited
- Acts as lead counsel for HZPC Holding B.V., a globally active potato variety breeder, to protect the client’s plant variety rights (IP) in infringement litigation.
- Assisted RAI Amsterdam B.V. to successfully registered three well-known trademarks in China, which were once rejected by China National Intellectual Property Administration (CNIPA) during the process of application.
- Acted as counsel for Cathay Pacific Airways Limited in several cartel follow-on cases in which claim vehicles on behalf of groups of shippers claim damages from a number of airlines, including Cathay Pacific, fined by the European Commission for their alleged participation in an air cargo cartel.
Greenberg Traurig LLP
Greenberg Traurig LLP has had a base in Amsterdam since 2003, when it was launched as the US firm's first office outside of its homelands. The team is able to draw on its international network for support in cross-border litigation and acts for both foreign and domestic entities. Allard Huizing heads the practice and is experienced in the finance, consumer, real estate, IT, oil and gas, and construction industries. Wietse de Jong is recommended for finance disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Wietse de Jong
‘I get top-notch assistance by real professionals that are passionate to practice law, which is exactly what my clients and I are seeking’.
‘Allard Huizing is very easy to reach, very hands-on, knows his practice area inside out, is both thorough and pragmatic, and is always friendly and kind’.
‘Allard Huizing is a top professional with his heart in the right place’.
‘Responsive team with the necessary skills’.
‘Very strong dispute resolution team, always thinking ahead of what the impact could be of any step taken’.
‘Broad knowledge and many resources in the other parts of the company to go and consult on specific items’.
‘Allard Huizing is an outstanding partner with an outspoken view on the strategy to follow in order to move the counterparty without taking any risks if things go wrong’.
‘We felt in very competent hands while Allard Huizing was driving our case, giving us a very good view on what our strong points were but also where our case was not so strong’.
IDEMIA The Netherlands B.V.
Olympus ACF PTE. LTD.
Conservatorium Hotel B.V.
The ‘very experienced, hardworking, open and proactive’ team at Hogan Lovells International LLP has strong experience of cases before the District Courts, Court of Appeal and the Enterprise Division of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal. Amsterdam office managing partner Manon Cordewener heads the practice and is recommended for commercial, corporate, financial services, antitrust and bankruptcy litigation.
‘The commercial litigation team of Hogan Lovells is very dedicated and knowledgeable’.
‘The lawyers in the team are very approachable and pleasant to work with’.
‘Manon Cordewener is very experienced in commercial litigation’.
‘Manon Cordewener is a strategic thinker, knows what is important to her clients and is an excellent lawyer’.
‘Manon Cordewener exercises sound judgement and integrates herself into the team’.
Volvo Autonomous Solutions
Mitsubishi Motors Europe
UBI Pramerica (now Eurizon)
- Represented Interstate in arbitration proceedings before the LCIA against Odyssey (a hotel owner) on the wrongful termination by Odyssey of two hotel management agreements and the related damages suffered by Interstate as a result of such wrongful termination.
- Represented Ball Packaging in legal proceedings initiated against Ball Packaging (now Ardagh Metal) by Bound2B B.V. before the District Court in Amsterdam on the alleged default by Ball Packaging under a Licence and Development Agreement relating to the development of a resealable (beverage) can.
- Representing both Air Canada and Korean Airlines in a large anti-trust follow-on litigation matters relating to damages allegedly suffered further to a cartel decision by the European Commission.
HVG Law LLP has a strategic alliance with EY Tax in the Netherlands and, as such, is is part of the global EY Law network. Under the leadership of George Driessen, the practice handles international corporate and commercial disputes. Driessen has particular experience in shareholder, D&O liability and post-M&A disputes.
‘The team combines all competencies needed to serve our corporate clients, especially as they can combine this with the expertise brought in through EY’.
‘The litigation practice demonstrates in-depth technical expertise combined with strong communication skills’.
‘They are valued litigators for our clients as they can make the cases very easy to understand for laymen and at the same time be strong against large opponents’.
‘It is an absolute pleasure working with George Driessen and the team and I can recommend them to any client to work’.
‘The team is efficient and knowledgeable and goes above and beyond’.
‘HVG Law is considered a valued business partner in the numerous cases we have had and they always do their utmost best to get the best deal for the client’.
‘George Driessen is a very decent person, but can be razor sharp when needed’.
‘The team has the ability of making complex legal matter easily digestible and comprehensible’.
Bond voor Belastingbetalers (Dutch Tax PayersAlliance)
Coöperatieve Nederlands Bloembollencentrale
Nedri Spanstaal (part of the WestfälischeDrahtindustrie)
Lamaro Holding (majority shareholder in PriogenEnergy)
- Advising EY Tax and representing Dutch Tax Payers Alliance before the European Court of Human Rights in a collective remedy claim against the State of The Netherlands in connection with a disproportionate tax measure.
- Currently representing Nedri Spanstaal in diverting an allegedly cartel related multimillion claim from Deutsche Bahn AG c.s. to the previous shareholder of Nedri Spanstaal B.V., i.e. Zuiderhoofd B.V.
- Successfully represented Lamaro Holding in several corporate governance related matters concerning Priogen (Energy) before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal.
Osborne Clarke has notable experience in corporate and commercial litigation and acts for a range of domestic and international clients from its Amsterdam base, which launched in 2014. Practice head Jeroen Bedaux is recommended for financial services litigation, including class actions and mass claims, and fraud, compliance and construction matters. Jim Margry joined the team from Loyens & Loeff in early 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Jorgo Tsiris; Bas Beenen; Berend Zwart; Jim Margry
‘Very pragmatic and knowledgeable’.
‘Hands-on mentality with senior leadership’.
‘Jeroen Bedaux is a senior litigator who is pragmatic, realistic and solution-driven’.
‘Jeroen Bedaux has the capacity to convince the stakeholders with content arguments, experience and a no nonsense attitude’.
‘Clear, sharp and spot-on advice’.
Football Club Utrecht
Silk Road Bank
- Defending Lifex against claims by the bankruptcy trustee – the claim and deficit in the bankruptcy amounts to €175m.
- Succeeded on appeal of summary proceedings and in main proceedings on behalf of a fund managed by global investment management company Fortress Investment Group in a dispute concerning the sale of valuable real estate.
- Acting for Takenaka Europe in relation to a construction dispute, which represents the first dispute in the Netherlands regarding the sensitization for life of employees arising from a construction defect.
Pot Jonker Advocaten stands out for its Supreme Court capabilities and is well known for handling disputes in the areas of franchising, public procurement, directors’ and officers’ liability and IT agreements. Floris Diepraam heads the team with considerable experience in corporate and commercial litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Robbert Boesveld; Babette Blaisse-Verkooijen
‘I value the lawyers because of their honest interest in their client’.
‘The team and individual staff are able to quickly get to the heart of the matter and make it clear in various ways so that any stakeholder from any background is able to understand what a potential dispute is about’.
‘Agreements are always kept and a lot is done to manage expectations’.
‘The employees are easy to reach and approachable’.
”They are able to describe complex legal issues in a simple manner’.
‘Floris Diepraam is a one of a kind lawyer that is truly interested in the company and its strategies’.
‘Floris Diepraam is cost-effective, pragmatic and very keen on the details’.
‘Very approachable, fast and accurate’.
ABN AMRO Bank
BEL Combination (Organisational combination of municipalilties Blaricum, Eemnes and Laren)
Dutch Flower Group
Klooster Euphrasia/ Zusters van O.L.V. van Liefde van de Goede Herder
Royal Ahold Delhaize (Albert Heijn, Etos, Gall & Gall)
Royal BAM Group
PreZero (formerly Suez)
- Acted as legal advisors and litigators for the Royal PostNL group in a wide range of civil proceedings.
- Represented Q-Park since 2015 in many cases of unfair competition by the Dutch government.
- Advised and assisted Royal Ahold Delhaize and its Dutch operating companies (e.g. Albert Heijn, Gall & Gall, Etos, Ahold European Sourcing) in a range of civil proceedings.
The commercial litigation team at Russell Advocaten B.V. has a niche expertise in art-related disputes. It is also active in the corporate, labour and real estate sectors. Paul Russell heads the practice and counts international companies, individuals, and embassies and consulates among his clientele.
‘Russell Advocaten is an outstanding law firm that has a wonderful team of lawyers and staff’.
‘They have outstanding capabilities’.
‘Paul Russell and his team are very dedicated to our business and offer superb quality legal services’.
‘Expert knowledge on many legal subjects’.
‘Paul Russell is the best art lawyer in The Netherlands’.
‘A diverse and experienced team with complementary skillsets’, Stonewater B.V. is known in the market for its corporate and commercial litigation experience. Marc van Rijswijk handles cases before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal, and brings ancillary skills in tax, finance and business. Bart Zandbergen is a cassation lawyer with the Dutch Supreme Court.
Marc van Rijswijk; Bart Zandbergen
‘The team is communicative, combines young and old lawyers, and shares knowledge with their clients in an open and comprehensive manner’.
‘They operate as a team, have a good sense of their clients and the field that the client operates in’.
‘Marc van Rijswijk is an excellent and convincing lawyer’.
‘Marc van Rijswijk knows his field well and is willing too dig deep when it comes to understanding the cases and circumstances put forward to him’.
‘Marc van Rijswijk has the ability to approach civil litigation from various vantage points’.
‘Bart Zandbergen has a very strong understanding of applying structured finance, with its detailed intricacies, to litigation’.
‘They are fast and do what they promise’.
‘Marc van Rijswijk and Bart Zandbergen are outstanding lawyers with great expertise in the field of contract litigation’.
Stichting de Zaanse Schans
Giebros Technics Operations
International Strategies Group
Coal Mining Corporation
DM Real Estate Investments
Firm & Finance Advocaten
- Represented Kempenaer in a case regarding alternative performance of an agreement since original performance was no longer possible.
- Advised Reukema Groep regarding its professional liability claim vis-à-vis a well-known law firm.
- Successfully represented a statutory director of a company against claims from a health insurer due to fraudulent actions in such company.
Taylor Wessing LLP
Taylor Wessing LLP is well placed to service tech and manufacturing companies from its location in Eindhoven, where the firm launched in 2015 via a merger with Netherlands firm Deterink. Hugo Nieuwenhuizen is recommended for mediation, arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution, while Nick Kampschreur is recommended for commercial and corporate litigation. Counsel Vera Jurgens has experience in finance and securities litigation.
Hugo Nieuwenhuizen; Nick Kampschreur
Other key lawyers:
‘Vera Jurgens not only proved to be an excellent litigator, but is also an expert in financing and securities and (inter)national contracts’.
‘Vera Jurgens combines her highly developed professional skills with a practical and down to earth approach, which makes her pleasant to work with’.
‘I can really recommend Vera Jurgens for every organization that is involved in a complicated legal dispute or is in danger of running into a legal dispute’.
‘A total package’.
‘Good value for money’.
Noble Environmental Technologies Corporation
Classic Medical Mouldings C.C.
Leen Bakker Nederland B.V.
Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
Lidl Nederland GmbH
Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A.
Healthcare International Group Stichting ROC Summa College
Homefashion Group B.V.
De Meeuw Oirschot B.V.
MBI Group B.V.
Bakker Magnetics B.V.
GS Staalwerken B.V.
Brand Loyalty Group B.V.
De Rooy Holding B.V.
Focus International Real Estate B.V.
Marilyn Best B.V. (McDonalds)
Paradigit Holding B.V.
St Gobain Weber Beamix B.V.
EurimPharm Arzneimittel GmbH
Milkpartners Sp. Zoo
Peter Emming Agrarkantor- und Handel GmbH & Co. KG
GD Medical Pharma B.V.
Weez Co. Ltd
HES International B.V.
Forte IQ B.V.
MTD Holding B.V.
EKB Nederland B.V.
CIS Management B.V.
- Advised Invesco on the restructuring on its strategic long-term partnership for a hotel property in Amsterdam.
- Advising F.L. Liebregts B.V. and FL Group on several investigations and discovery proceedings.
- Successfully represented trust office CIS Management B.V. in summary proceedings, after ING Bank N.V. closed its bank account, thereby effectively blocking CIS Management’s activities as trust office. Currently, we are representing CIS Management in substantive proceedings on the question whether ING Bank was allowed to terminate the relationship with CIS Management.
Under the leadership of Jurjen De Korte, Van Oosten Schulz De Korte Advocaten continues to advise clients on international litigation and arbitration, with a focus on the commercial sector. The practice is well known for civil, criminal and white-collar defence matters, which brings niche expertise in related areas.
Jurjen de Korte
Other key lawyers:
Harro Schulz; Geertjan van Oosten
‘Hard-hitting, always delivering, very responsive and exceptionally smart’.
‘Any opponent is ill-advised to underestimate this team, and we always enjoy working with them on a variety of matters’.
‘Exceptionally active on Corona-related matters, such as a number of high-profile actions against the State related to Covid-testing and an application to the Supreme Court on corona-induced rent reductions’.
‘The agile and close-knit boutique of OSK has clearly made great strides during the pandemic’.
‘OSK has remained modest, even though they play in the big league’.
‘They genuinely enjoy their work and are keen to deliver and win’.
‘They have proven to be game changers in difficult matters’.
‘Jurjen de Korte is an excellent and seasoned disputes lawyer, and very experienced with international clients particularly from the CIS-region; a sharp and independent thinker, and an absolute pleasure to work with’.
Hudson’s Bay Company
Louis Dreyfus Company
IB Capital FX
- Acting for Hudson’s Bay Company in numerous proceedings before the Dutch courts relating to claims by landlords following the bankruptcy of its Dutch business.
- Acting for Promsvyaz Capital in defence of an application to enforce two Russian court judgements awarding RUB 40bn and $505m Promsvyazbank.
- Representing the US Receiver and investors in IB Capital FX to collect more than $51m following an alleged online foreign currency trade fraud and to pursue claims against ING for damages due to KYC failures.