Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
The Amsterdam office of Allen & Overy LLP is home to one of the Netherlands' premier dispute resolution teams, with significant experience in corporate litigation, securities disputes, shareholder disputes and large-scale professional liability cases, representing clients before both the regular court system, as well as more specialist courts such as the Enterprise Chamber. The team is led by Marieke van Hooijdonk, who is supported by financial litigation specialist Brechje van der Velden, the highly experienced Arnold Croiset van Uchelen, and corporate and securities litigation specialist Richard de Haan. Marnix de Planque was promoted to counsel in 2019.
Marieke van Hooijdonk
‘The team provides value for money. They provide candid and practical advice that does not need to be translated for the commercial people.‘
‘Top end international team with significant global experience. A well integrated team that provides seamless support in international cross-border disputes. ‘
‘Brechje van der Velden is top of the league‘
‘Marnix de Planque is an extremely talented lawyer. From a purely legal analytical perspective maybe the best A&O has in the Netherlands‘
‘We worked with Richard de Haan. He was always a few steps ahead of the other side. Good communicator, efficient, manages expectations well, very strong in tactics. ‘
‘Brechje van der Velden is an excellent lawyer, who provides strong analysis. One of the top in the Netherlands.‘
‘Marnix de Planque is very committed, has excellent analytical skills and in depth knowledge of procedural law, and gives solid and well-founded advice.‘
Total Petrochemicals & Refining
South Stream Transport (Gazprom)
- Acting for the Dutch State, via the Ministry of Finance, in a set of cases that emerged following the nationalisation of SNS Reaal, including claims brought by former investors in SNS Reaal, and various other civil claims.
- Representing eight former members of the supervisory board of Imtech in litigation brought by former investors of Imtech, alleging the former board members are liable for damages suffered as a result of Imtech’s fraud-related bankruptcy.
- Representing Deloitte in an accountant’s liability case initiated by Vestia, a Dutch housing corporation, following its 2012 bankruptcy.
The dispute resolution team at BarentsKrans, based in the Hague, is perhaps most well known for its strong supreme court litigation practice, receiving referrals from several leading Dutch and international law firms to take cases up to that level. The firm is also home to strong teams dealing with commercial and corporate litigation, financial litigation, and contract disputes, along with a growing presence in mass litigation, with the firm often instructed by large-scale litigation funders. The practice is led by Martijn van Maanen, Rieme-Jan Tjittes, and William Schonewille, who focus on the commercial and corporate, Supreme Court, and financial litigation aspects of the practice respectively.
Martijn van Maanen; Rieme-Jan Tjittes; William Schonewille
‘Wiliam Schonewille is proactive and on top of his matters: knows the details without losing the big picture.‘
Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (Shape)
European Patent Organisation
Claims Funding Europe
Cartel Damages Claims
The Greek State
The State of the Netherlands
- Represent LTO, the Dutch representative body for the agriculture sector, as well as the poultry farmers in proceedings against the state arising from the government response to the discovery of elevated levels of the Fipronil detergent in eggs.
- Acting as counsel for Fox Networks in a dispute with Ziggo about the distribution of Premier League Soccer on TV in the Netherlands.
- Representing the Greek state in proceedings before the The Hague Court of Appeal initiated by Leidos Incorporated to enforce an ICC arbitral award issued in Greece.
De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek houses one of the strongest dispute resolution teams in the Netherlands, with depth across a wide range of specialisms, including in-house Supreme Court litigation. Other key areas of expertise include franchise disputes, where the firm has acted for the franchisors in several key disputes, and large-scale cartel damages litigations. Additionally, the firm is home to several litigators with strong specialist experience, including Jan de Bie Leuveling Tjeenk, who is noted for corporate and securities litigation, Daan Beenders, who is focused on liability and contracting, and technology and finance sector specialist Stefan Derksen. Senior associate Tilly Alberga-Smits is also noted.
Bommel Van Der Bend
‘Daan Beenders and his team have been advising us for many years now. It feels like they are direct colleagues who understand our business better than we do. They are extremely pragmatic, business savvy, commercially astute and an absolute pleasure to work with. In addition, they are very dedicated and have consistently outperformed our expectations. They have a unique talent to create the impression that you are their only client.‘
‘De Brauw are a high quality, responsive team with a deep bench.‘
‘Daan Beenders is absolutely top-notch. He combines a thorough knowledge of the law with enormous commercial insight. Highly intelligent, effective, pragmatic lawyer and a true pleasure to work with. Responsiveness could not be better. ‘
‘Andries Polkerman is a star senior associate. Deep understanding of our business, always one or two steps ahead and always with a clear view of the bigger picture involved. Also, great fun to work with. ‘
‘Selmer Bergsma shows great insight into our specific industry sector and has a pragmatic approach to the situation at hand.‘
‘Partner Bregje Korthals-Altes Van Dijk is the perfect dispute strategy partner for a client. Senior associate Tilly Alberga-Smits is excellent across the client relationship, provides timely, to the point advise and spares no effort in understanding the specific needs of the client. Senior associate Johan Valk is a rising star. Senior associate Jacob van de Velden is highly recommended for his excellent legal mind. ‘
Yukos Oil Company
Royal Dutch Shell
Supreme Site Services
- Representing Yukos Oil’s former majority shareholders in setting-aside proceedings before the Court of Appeals of the Hague regarding $50bn arbitral awards against the Russian Federation.
- Representation of NAM in the litigation proceedings related to earthquakes caused by NAM’s gas production from the Groningen gas field.
- Acting for Albert Heijn in a large-scale dispute with its franchisees.
The litigation team at Houthoff is highly active in corporate litigation, including shareholder and post-M&A disputes, as well as having a strong presence in financial and securities litigation matters. Another key area by which the firm differentiates itself is its Supreme Court practice, led by Bart van der Wiel, which has been involved in several important cases, either carrying on mandates generated by the firm or undertaking referral work from other leading litigation teams. Team head Albert Knigge is strong on class-action litigation, acting as defence counsel for large corporates and financial institutions and counsel David Heems is recommended for insolvency-related litigation.
‘The team is very quick to respond, friendly, easy to talk to. They team is efficient and very hard-working.‘
‘The team led by Albert Knigge is very experienced in a wide range of disputes and provides commercial and user-friendly advice.‘
‘Bart van der Wiel excels in Supreme Court advice and litigation. He is a quick and strategic thinker with a keen eye on its client’s opportunities. One of his unique strengths is that you can always reach him. Another strength is that he is very hands on.‘
Huntington Ingalls Industries
Nederlandse Spoorwegen (NS),
Volvo Trucks/Renault Trucks
Ministry of Finance (Dutch Government)
Vion Food Group
Heritage B / TEKA Group
- Represented Elliott Advisors in the takeover dispute with respect to Dutch chemical giant Akzo Nobel, and Pittsburgh-based PPG’s takeover bid amounting to over €24bn.
- Representing and advising Vestia, a semi-public corporation with 90,000 properties used for social housing, in proceedings recovering damages suffered to its derivatives portfolio due to fraud and mismanagement.
- Acting for the Dutch Ministry of Finance in a derivatives matter against Deutsche Bank.
NautaDutilh is home to a distinguished Supreme Court litigation practice, which is headed by Freerk Vermeulen, and is involved in several of the jurisdiction's most prominent cases, including high-profile environmental, financial, and insolvency cases. The broader litigation team is led from Amsterdam by Paul Olden, who specialises in transaction-related disputes, and from Rotterdam by the corporate litigation-focused Rutger Kalsbeek. Other key areas of work include acting as defence counsel in class actions and other mass litigation, as well as advocating before the Enterprise Chamber. Frans Overkleeft is also recommended, particularly for M&A-related disputes.
Paul Olden; Rutger Kalsbeek
‘A great team of litigators. Exceptional quality of work, content wise but also experts in litigation tactics. Hands-on and always available, with a can-do mentality. Don’t hesitate to hire them, they will not disappoint you.‘
‘The group consists of team players, people who understand what they are talking about and have a deep knowledge of procedures, the case, and other strategic decisions that are needed to be made. Also, they focus strongly on client management and are able to explain difficult situations in clear, understandable terms.‘
‘I have worked with Paul Olden en Robert van Gaalen in the last two years on almost a daily/weekly basis. They really stand out in their group and also in comparison to other firms and litigation practices. They are not only a pleasure to work with, they are well-organised and deeply knowledgeable.‘
‘Frans Overkleeft is a very smart litigator with in-depth knowledge of corporate and commercial litigation. Frans is an expert in corporate law. In particular, in the field of public and private M&A, which makes him stand-out compared to experts of other firms when it comes to M&A related litigation.‘
Royal Dutch Shell
Dutch Railways (Nederlandse Spoorwegen)
- Representing the Dutch operations of Deloitte in litigation brought by Dutch Investor’s association VEB relating to its audit of Steinhoff.
- Handling Supreme Court litigation for Urgenda in its attempt to compel the Dutch state to reduce carbon emissions.
- Successfully represented Yukos Finance and its former director Misamore in Dutch proceedings against Promneftstroy, concerning the admissibility of the bankruptcy of Yukos Oil in the Russian Federation in the Netherlands.
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is best known for its function as the state advocate of the Netherlands, and as such the team predominantly represents government departments, Dutch municipalities, and other public bodies in their disputes, though the firm also maintains a respectable private client base. The team covers all aspects of litigation, housing a strong Supreme Court team in which Hans van Wijk is the key figure, in addition to the broader litigation team led jointly by van Wijk and Willem Heemskerk. Other notable names within the team include Wemmeke Wisman, Karlijn Teuben, and senior associate Gijsbrecht Nieuwland.
Hans van Wijk; Willem Heemskerk
‘On supreme court litigation they excel.‘
‘Very experienced team, quick and reliable. The team delivers work of high quality and is also capable of finding good practical solutions for complex legal matters. Team members are easily accessible, also outside office hours.’
‘We have trusted the Dispute Resolution team of Pels Rijcken to handle complex litigation for us. They are exceptionally knowledgeable and committed. Their work has been outstanding.‘
‘As the State Advocate of the government of the Netherlands Pels Rijcken not only performs as an excellent ordinary law firm, but also has a unique strength. ‘
‘Hans van Wijk really stands out. Practical, solution oriented and sharp as a knife.‘
‘Wemmeke Wisman assists us in very complex procedures and is among the best Dutch lawyers.‘
‘Hans van Wijk is an excellent lawyer when it comes to litigation concerning international law within the Kingdom of the Netherlands.‘
‘Karlijn Teuben delivers high quality legal advice and has an exceptional performance in court: sharp and tough on legal content, with the needed empathy for the opponent.‘
‘Willem Heemskerk is an excellent lawyer who is a true and valuable sparring partner. He is always able to translate complex issues into practical and workable solutions, with a constant eye for the client’s interest. Very reliable and easily accessible.‘
‘Gijsbrecht Nieuwland is a very intelligent lawyer who delivers high quality work. Nice to work with and like the other lawyers of the team very accessible. He has a friendly and down-to-earth approach.‘
Royal Dutch Shell
State of the Netherlands
Municipalities of Amsterdam, The Hague and Rotterdam
Financial supervisory agencies: the Dutch Central Bank and the Dutch Authority for the Financial Markets
- Representing Royal Dutch Shell and various related companies in proceedings brought by four Nigerian widows regarding the execution of the Ogoni 9 by the Abacha regime in 1995, arguing Shell bears some liability for the executions.
- Acting for insurance company Nationale-Nederlanden in class action proceedings before the District Court of Rotterdam concerning unit-linked insurance products
- Representing the State of the Netherlands in Supreme Court proceedings relating to the expropriation by the State of the Netherlands of SNS Bank because of its imminent bankruptcy.
Stibbe is a strong force in the Dutch dispute resolution market, with a client base consisting of large multinationals, leading Dutch financial institutions, and several of the largest domestic corporates. The firm is particularly specialised in mass litigation, and has seen increasing workflows in cartel follow-on cases, shareholder class actions, and purchaser's claims in sectors such as automotive and telecoms, with other key areas of work including auditor's liability and corporate litigation cases. Practice heads Fons Leijten and Jeroen Kortmann focus on corporate and international litigation, respectively. Other key names include contractual and tort disputes specialist Tim de Greve , Toni van Hees, who frequently acts for auditors in breach of duty disputes, and senior associates Daphne Rijkers and Simon Boersen.
Jeroen Kortmann; Fons Leijten
‘Tim de Greve and Daphne Rijkers are outstanding litigators. Felt very comfortable relying upon their advice and representation in Dutch courts. They are more than advisors; they are successful advocates. They are extremely organized and tenacious on our behalf.‘
‘Toni van Hees is responsive, reflective, has a good grasp of the legal matters, communicative.‘
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Vantage Drilling International
Nationale Nederlanden (NN)
- Defending BP in securities litigation initiated by VEB regarding BP’s liability to shareholders in relation to the 2010 Mexican Gulf oil spill.
- Representing ABN Amro Bank in a cross-border dispute concerning the redemption of hybrid securities issued by Ageas.
- Represented the court-appointed trustees in the bankruptcy of Amsterdam hospital MC Slotervaart in proceedings against the City of Amsterdam, centred on the City’s demand that the trustees investigate whether there were any irregularities prior to the bankruptcy.
Baker McKenzie fields a full-service dispute resolution team, with in-house capacity to undertake corporate litigation, follow-on damages claims in the field of competition law, and export and trade disputes, along with Supreme Court litigation. Practice head Robert van Agteren is highly recommended for contentious restructuring matters, particularly with an international aspect, and maintains a strong client base of financial institutions and investment firms. Other key figures include Supreme Court litigator Frank Kroes and Itse Oosterhoff, who focuses on corporate litigation matters.
Robert Van Agteren
‘The team works fast, performs under high time pressure with a sharp eye for detail. In the meantime, the strategic goals and overview of large and complex issues are not forgotten.‘
‘The team is large and truly offers every type of lawyer for every job, including litigation at the Dutch Supreme Court. Complex vs. simple/straightforward, national vs international, civil litigation vs. arbitration, the team is very experienced and tailors its services to the needs of their clients.‘
‘The team in Amsterdam, consisting of Robert van Agteren and Lydia Flinterman is excellent. They are on the ball and very sharp. Apart from the high quality of their work, they are very pleasant to work with and always reachable. The team works seamlessly.‘
‘Frank Kroes is razor sharp, eloquent, a true gentleman, addresses issues holistically and has a great sense of humor.‘
‘Lydia Flinterman is a young, brilliant lawyer – a rising star. Very knowledgeable and does not miss any details. Remains focused until the end.‘
‘Frank Kroes is an excellent litigator and lawyer, with a deep knowledge of the law. He also has the ability to unpick complex issues and weigh understanding of the commercial and legal risks. ‘
‘Robert Jan van Agteren is a strong communicator, very sharp and knows the details of the case. If needed he can be very assertive towards the other party, but also energizes and inspires his team and the client to go to the bottom of things and get the information needed for the case‘
ASICS Europe B.V.
Archer Daniels Midland (ADM)
- Representing Alpro before the Supreme Court in a dispute with an association of Dutch dairy producers regarding the correct interpretation of EU regulations.
- Represent VolkerWessels in a €35m dispute arising from the acquisition of Joulz Energy Solutions BV from Stedin.
- Represented De Goudse Schadeverzekeringen before the Enterprise Chamber in a joint venture governance dispute arising from attempts by other parties to pull back from the JV.
Bird & Bird provides a wide range of litigation services, with a particular focus on the technology and media sectors, as well as a strong liability and insurance disputes practice. The firm is also highly recommended for matters spanning multiple jurisdictions, making use of its broad international network, both for mandates led from The Netherlands, and as local counsel in matters originating elsewhere. Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa heads the team and handles a wide range of litigation, in addition to being a Supreme Court litigator. Olaf Trojan is recommended for media and technology-related work.
‘Despite the size of the team and firm, they are very hands on and not too theoretical or too risk averse. Moreover, you sense that there is a team and not a set of individuals outsmarting each other ‘
‘The attorneys at Bird & Bird are very well informed on the different legal subjects, both with regard to commercial litigation in general and sector specific regulation. They advise fast and are always available if needed. Its very pleasant to work with them. ‘
‘Evelyn Tjon-en-Fa is definitely one of the most knowledgeable and smart lawyers I have ever met. She grasps complex technological matters in a minute and knows how to translate this to legal argumentation and documentation. Apart from being very serious about her work, she is good fun to work with. ‘
Aso Forge International S.A.
Ihlas Holding A.S.
Large Dutch construction companies
Intellectual Property Agency for the Benelux (Benelux Merkenbureau)
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty
- Successfully represented Kaspersky Lab in a dispute with the major Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf and Mr Willem Vermeend, a retired Dutch politician, relating to De Telegraaf’s allegations that Kaspersky is connected to the Russian State.
- Representing Canada Feeder Lines in a contractual dispute with Brodotrogir.
- Representing the majority shareholder of DEM, in a case concerning attempts by a minority shareholder to compel the remaining shareholders to purchase the shares held by the claimant, securing an Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal decision which overturned the first instance judgment in favour of the majority shareholder.
Clifford Chance's a strong litigation team has a particular focus on cross-border mandates, as well as strong experience across the spectrum of financial and corporate litigation. Practice head Dirk-Jan Duynstee is recommended for his expertise in corporate and securities litigation matters, including post-M&A disputes, public takeover disputes, shareholder disputes and squeeze-out proceedings. Counsel Evert Verwey specialises in insolvency-related litigation and other contentious restructuring work.
‘Dirk Jan Duijnstee is a good communicator who gets the job done.‘
- Successfully represented a banking syndicate in a €50m dispute about the validity of security rights.
- Defending a major financial institution regarding certain derivative transactions with the largest Dutch housing corporation in connection with a €840m claim.
- Acting for the former CEO of a telecoms company in his defence against a $117m claim brought by a shareholder for losses suffered under the CEO’s tenure.
Financial services litigation specialist Ewald Netten heads the litigation group at DLA Piper, which acts for several market-leading Dutch and multinational clients. The team is particularly strong in the fields of contentious procurement matters, corporate litigation, and disputes in the energy and finance sectors. Other key figures within the team include Paul Hopman, who focuses on disputes between financial institutions and their customers, and corporate litigator Marnix Holtzer. Also of note were the arrivals of two new associates from Houthoff in the form of administrative law specialist Arjen de Snoo and procurement expert Janet Meesters.
‘Over the years, we have developed a strong and efficient working relationship with DLA, as a result of which DLA is very well aware of and understands the policies and procedures of our company. It can therefore provide tailor-made hands on advice and can anticipate the requirements and sensitive points that may arise.‘
‘Paul Hopman is also undoubtedly an asset for DLA’s team, sharp and analytical, while being constantly focused at the end result. Although head of office, Paul has a really strong focus on providing good client service.‘
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Cushman & Wakefield
ACT Commodities Group
Nationale Borg-Maatschappij (now: Amtrust International Underwriters DAC)
Demir-Halk Bank (DHB Bank)
Saab Technologies B.V.
- Representing ACT Commodities Group in relation to a contractual dispute with Gestion Integral de Almacenes.
- Representing Saab Technologies in a dispute relating to a tender issued by Rijkswaterstaat
- Acting for Nationale Borgmaatschappij in the recovery of its security rights in multiple court proceedings.
Evers Soerjatin is a boutique litigation firm with a strong presence on the Dutch market, particularly in Enterprise Chamber or Court of Appeal inquiry proceedings. Corporate litigation specialist Marcel Evers heads the team along with fellow founding partner Ellen Soerjatin, whose practice focuses on corporate governance disputes and professional liability, and Stein van Thiel, who is noted for insolvency and shareholder disputes. The firm has also recently seen the appointment of two new partners, with Jessica de Rooij and Jonas Verheul making the step up at the start of 2020.
Ellen Soerjatin; Marcel Evers; Stein van Thiel
‘The firm is practical, responsive and highly knowledgeable about Dutch civil litigation and proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber. Evers’ lawyers are also extremely efficient.‘
‘We are very pleased with Evers Soerjatin. The firm is a proven top-notch and dedicated litigation boutique firm. The team led by Jonas Verheul is very responsive and always reachable. The team members are intelligent and pleasant people to work with.‘
‘Marcel Evers and his team have delivered precisely the high quality service we were looking for in a transactional dispute. The no nonsense style and short communication lines have definitely contributed to our success dealing with the matter. ‘
‘Marcel Evers is a seasoned, well experienced, approachable partner with a great capability to draw a line between the legal aspects and the commercial impact.‘
‘Jonas Verheul is brilliant in his court performance: he easily draws the attention of the court to the right aspects of the case and doesn’t allow other parties to gain a foothold. He made sure no factual detail is missed, while presenting a convincing bigger picture to the court. Once he had defined our balanced strategy, he was very determined in the execution of it, despite fierce resistance.‘
‘Marcel Evers combines great analytical skills and profound understanding of the case, with rock solid legal knowledge, strategic and tactics and very convincing litigation skills in the courtroom.‘
‘Jonas Verheul is very hard-working, dedicated and committed to the client’s case, always available and capable to explain in very understandable language.‘
Group of shareholders/franchisees Intergamma
All Volkswagen, SEAT, Skoda and Audi dealers in the Netherlands
FrieslandCampina Nederland B.V.
United Dutch Breweries
FundIQ Mezzanine I C.V.
Asiana Airlines Inc.
Eco Recovery Solutions LLC
- Representing a group of Italian bondholders and the Dutch Trade Union (bondholder) in the first expropriation proceedings with regard to SNS Reaal.
- Represented Hillfresh Holding B.V. in inquiry proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeals, initiated by one of its minority shareholders.
- Acting for Asiana Airlines in court proceedings arising from the air cargo cartel, in which proceedings a claim vehicle funded by Omni Bridgeway (‘Stichting Cartel Compensation’) is claiming a total amount of damages of more than €400m.
Loyens & Loeff fields a sizeable litigation team, and as such the firm can provide a strong service across the spectrum of commercial, corporate, and financial litigation. The practice is chaired by Hendrik van Druten, who is notable for his work on disputes relating to insolvency, as well as those concerning M&A or capital markets transactions. Other key personnel include Sidney Berendsen, who recently represented a large property manager in a dispute with its lessees over alleged failures to exercise rights of first refusal during a share transaction, as well as senior associate Huib Schrama, securities law specialist Mijke Sinninghe Damsté and Tom Claassens, whose niche lies in litigation taking place across the Dutch Carribbean.
Hendrik van Druten
‘They have a broad scope and handle the complete range of corporate, commercial and finance cases.‘
‘Kitty Lieverse is outstanding in the crossover of finance regulatory and litigation.‘
‘Mijke Sinnighe Damste is strongly upcoming in corporate litigation.‘
‘Sidney Berendsen is a steady player with a broad scope.‘
‘Excellent lawyers, very responsive with commercial acumen‘
‘Huib Schrama, is a great litigator with a sensible approach and calm demeanour.‘
Deutsche Bahn AG / Arriva
- Advising a trustee in Dutch litigation attempting to enforce a promissory note against a Dutch entity, the value of which the trustee is obligated to reimburse to a Mauritanian trust.
- Represented Oi in various related multibillion-dollar litigations in the Netherlands that were initiated by creditors and by a Dutch bankruptcy trustee
- Defended Icap in a class action suit brought by Stichting Elco Foundation in relation to alleged manipulation of interest rate benchmarks.
Simmons & Simmons' dispute resolution team is instructed on a wide range of cases, but has particular experience in finance, medical and technology-related disputes. The firm also reports an uptick in post-M&A disputes and other corporate and shareholder disputes, with Bernard Verbunt a key figure for shareholder activism issues. Practice head Johan Polet is highly active across the spectrum of mandates undertaken by the firm, but is particularly notable in the fields of insurance litigation and mass claims, including follow-on damages. In the financial litigation space, counsel Robert Verburg is a key name.
‘The individual members of Simmons & Simmons provide high quality advice on a range of subjects, from statutory interpretations to review of contracts with commercial partners and foundations.‘
‘Simmons & Simmons delivered very good advice in a dispute related to intellectual property rights. They were clear in their language and had a firm approach towards the disputed party. More important was the fact that they helped to avoid taking legal steps.‘
Bank of New York Mellon
Energeia Asset Management
Willis Towers Watson
Gilde Equity Management
Nippon Cargo Airlines
- Representing EAM in its €200m dispute over the fraudulent sale of 30 solar power plants.
- Representing Leen Bakker in a €10m post-M&A dispute with Blokker concerning the stock valuations provided by the seller.
- Acting for ASML in a patent and licensing dispute with Nikon, centring on technology for the production of semiconductors.
The dispute resolution team at Van Doorne is instructed across the spectrum of litigation work, and is particularly recommended for class actions, shareholder disputes and corporate litigation, representing clients in some of the market's largest cases. Additionally, the firm is frequently instructed in professional liability cases, with a team led by dispute resolution practice co-head Walter Hendriksen receiving instructions from law firms and auditors, as well as maintaining a strong presence in director's and officer's liability matters. Hendriksen's fellow practice head Jasper Leedekerken is involved in a broader range of work, with mass litigation and securities disputes being two stand-out areas. Corporate litigation specialist Sjoerd Kamerbeek is also recommended.
Walter Hendriksen; Jasper Leedekerken
‘The team is legally very strong. This is reflected in a great deal of creativity when it comes to approaching a procedure. Great and up-to-date knowledge of legislation and case law. In addition, the people are eager and tenacious and extremely verbally competent. This contributes to a successful process.’
‘A smart, capable, diligent team that develops good winning strategy and makes themselves available for urgent situations when it matters.‘
‘Lisette Bieleveld is the first person to call if I am in a jam with any commercial legal disputes.‘
‘I work with Jasper Leedekerken and Walter Hendriksen, both excellent litigators with lots of court experience and a good feeling of what is achievable in court.‘
‘Sjoerd Kammerbeek is a real rising star in the industry. Sjoerd is immensely capable, able to drive proceedings forward and has a mastery of the legal and corporate landscape. He always works according to the budget, is strategically-focused and has excellent response times. A huge asset. ‘
‘They are very responsive and have good financial (disputes) sector knowledge.‘
The Fruit Farm Group / Greenyard
Danube Foods Group
Dutch State Lottery
MFEX Mutual Funds Exchange
Waarborgfonds Sociale Woningbouw
Innsworth Advisors Limited
Unitel International Holdings B.V.
Tokeyna Managament Limited
PHP Holding Oy
- Acting for litigation funder Innsworth Advisors Limited, and the institutional investors represented by it, in a class action against the second largest furniture retailer, Steinhoff, in a multibillion-euro securities claim.
- Representing the Dutch Social Housing Guarantee Fund in its legal proceedings against the Dutch State in relation to the restructuring of Humanitas.
- Representing KPMG in inquiry proceedings concerning its role as auditor in the seven-year period leading up to the nationalisation of SNS.
The litigation team at AKD reports significant recent increases in class action mandates, where the firm acts on the claimant side and is often instructed by litigation funders, with practice head Patrick Haas a key contact for these mandates. Other key areas of work for the firm include insolvency-related litigation, where Paul Peters is the name to note, and cross-border cases, particularly those centred around the Benelux jurisdictions. Notable recent changes to the team in 2019 include the arrival of associate Rik Analbers from Rutgers & Posch.
‘Great litigation team. Very responsive and knowledgable.‘
‘Guido Vergouwen is an outstanding litigator, a virtuoso of the courtroom with a deep knowledge of the law.‘
‘Winfried van den Muijsenbergh is an enthusiastic team leader and an eminent strategic lawyer in cross-border litigation matters.‘
‘Patrick Haas is an excellent litigator with great people skills. Excellent at looking at the broader picture and looking for unconventional solutions.‘
‘One of the best litigation teams I have worked with. High skills level combined with thoughtful and measured procedural advice. The team understands business and how to align litigation objectives with business realities and objectives.‘
‘Erik Koster is a key partner in the arbitration and litigation practice and a exceptional advocate who brings to pleadings and arguments a clarity that jumps off the page.‘
Stichting Truck Claim
Stichting Volkswagen Car Claim and Stichting Volkswagen Investor Claim
Yukos Finance B.V.
EndemolShine Group B.V.
Svenska Handelsbanken S.A.
LeasePlan Nederland N.V.
Centraal Beheer Achmea
Erasmus Medisch Centrum Rotterdam
Neways Electronics International N.V.
Value Enhancement Partners
Promontoria Holding 107 B.V., a group company of Cerberus Capital Management LP
VIEO (Lebara Group)
- Acting for Spanish investment bank Invernostra, S.L. (now Bankia) and one of its directors in several liability claims that have arisen from Invernostra’s investment in the Secrets Silversands Hotel in Cancún, Mexico.
- Represents Stichting Humanitas (a health care institution) in a case brought by Stichting Humanitas Huisvesting (a housing corporation), following the appointment of new executive officers at the housing corporation, where the two entities had previously been managed by the same executives.
- Assisting Labaton Sucharow LLP with the incorporation of a non-profit foundation (Stichting Volkswagen Car Claim) established in the Netherlands to represent the interests of European car owners in litigation against Volkswagen Group.
Dentons is particularly prominent in cross-border litigation matters, either as local counsel for other international offices of the firm or as lead counsel, with notable recent cases involving Brazil, the Cayman Islands, and Turkey, along with the firm's strong connections in China. The litigation group is led by Michel Deckers, whose practice is focused on corporate and securities litigation, directors' and supervisory board members liability, and collective actions. Anouk Rosielle is another key name within the team, and is recommended for her work on cartel damages cases and insolvency-related litigation.
‘The team provides very effective advice on complex international litigation before Dutch courts.‘
‘Anouk Rosielle was really impressive. She completely dominated the aspects of Dutch law that could impact our case and was really important to give us the orientation we needed to assist the client.‘
‘Anouk Rosiele is a brilliant litigator and very impressive in providing quick but in-depth and direct to the point advice. We find her extremely smart in building effective legal arguments and a compelling litigation strategy.‘
‘Michel Deckers is a very experienced and thoughtful partner who brings respect and leadership and is able to build bridges among parties.‘
Dentsply Sirona Inc
- Acted for Citco in a bond dispute arising from the insolvency of the Oi Group.
- Defending several companies connected to Citco in a class action proceeding brought by Stichting Fairfield Compensation Foundation, a group which represents investors who were victims of the Bernie Madoff fraud.
- Acting for Van Gelder in a damages claim against companies involved in the bitumen cartel.
The dispute resolution team at Florent is involved in a wide range of corporate and commercial litigation, including conflicts between shareholders, management boards and supervisory boards, as well as post-M&A disputes, commercial contracts, financing and the liability of managing directors and supervisory directors. Yvette Borrius and Chris Jager. In 2019 the corporate litigation team saw the arrival of senior associate Emille Buziau from Houthoff.
Yvette Borrius; Chris Jager
‘Medium sized corporate boutique firm with an excellent team. Would definitely recommend them for commercial litigation.‘
‘Florent has assisted our business, which has specific and often cross-border legal challenges, with calm efficiency, and solid advice for problem and conflict resolution.‘
‘We were impressed by the responsiveness of the team and the in-depth analysis of the potential options included in the initial advice.‘
‘I was pleasantly surprised by Yvette Borrius’ expertise in this jurisdiction. As a lawyer, she is extremely skilled, sharp, analytical, strategic, persistent and persuasive. Her working method is based on knowing, appreciating and weighing all the facts and circumstances that affect the case. In addition, she is authoritative in her field and that gives her authority in and outside the courtroom.‘
‘Chris Jagers is very client-minded, fast in responding and has a vast network of all kind of external experts to which he can refer. He is open-minded and has an eye for the business of the client.‘
‘Chris Jager is a valuable asset for any company who is not afraid to challenge your in-house biases and thereby provides excellent and practical advice.‘
‘Yvette Borrius, one of the other founding fathers, has a very high profile as defence counsel in directors’ and officers’ liability cases‘
Former CEO of Volkswagen AG
Former CEO of Steinhoff International Holdings N.V.
Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A.
Mosadex C.V. and Apotheek Voorzorg B.V.
HSG Group of companies
Former Supervisory Board members of housing corporation WSG
ALBA Group PLC & CO. KG
Irish Investors in Torun Ltd. regarding Livarna B.V.
Former board members of Royal Imtech N.V. / group companies
- Defending a former Volkswagen CEO in a mass claim arising from the Volkswagen emissions scandal.
- Representing a family owned group of companies in real estate development and management (Hein Schilder Groep) as regards real estate development fraud, committed by the director and one of the supervisory directors of the holding entity
- Acting for six former supervisory directors of Dutch housing corporation WSG in relation to allegations of mismanagement and conflicts of interest.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Jones Day is highly active in cross-border disputes, either alongside other international offices of the firm or working with external local counsel, with a particular focus on matters in the financial sector. The practice is led by experienced litigator Gerjanne te Winkel, whose practice includes shareholder disputes, takeover battles, securities litigation, director and professional liability, and tort litigation, as well as frequent appearances before the Amsterdam Court of Appeal in mismanagement proceedings. Coen Drion is particularly recommended for clients in the IT and telecoms sectors, particularly for matters involving commercial contracts or restructuring.
Gerjanne te Winkel; Aldo Verbruggen
Parman International B.V.
Brigade Distressed Value Master Fund Ltd, Brigade Leveraged Capital Structures Fund Ltd and Brigade Credit Fund I Ltd
Palladyne International Asset Management B.V.
TCP Publishing Holdco S.à.r.l.
TMF Nederland B.V., TMF Management (BVI) Limited, and TMF (BVI) Limited
Van Uden Holding B.V and others
MKB Ondernemers B.V.
Novero Investment B.V.
Niaga Holding Limited
- Represented the shareholder of the Ennia Group in a dispute with the Central Bank of Curaçao and Saint Maarten concerning the application of an emergency regulation to three Ennia Group corporate entities and the Central Bank’s withdrawal of certain insurance licences.
- Defending Van Uden before the District Court of Rotterdam against claims of lawful and unlawful means of conspiracy under Malaysian law.
- Representing trust and fiduciary services provider TMF before the Amsterdam and Hertogenbosch Courts of Appeal in a liability action commenced by a group of investors concerning a large real estate project.
Lexence's dispute resolution team has experience across a wide range of client sectors, with a strong core of recent mandates from IT, media, financial services, investment management, and energy companies. In addition to the broad spectrum of commercial and corporate litigation cases, the firm also handles more niche work such as professional liability cases, or director's and officer's liability matters. The practice is jointly led by Bram Thomas Craemer and Timo Jansen, while corporate litigation specialist Arnout Schennink is also recommended.
Bram Thomas Craemer; Timo Jansen
‘I contacted Timo Jansen for a (mostly time and money consuming) arbitration, but he surprised me with a commercial, smart, and out of the box approach which resulted in just a few weeks in a very satisfying settlement solution.”
‘Arnout Schennink is strategic and hands-on.‘
Stern Automotive Group
Shanghai Haohai Biological Technology
Vistra Corporate Services
Advantage Smollan (Hamilton Bright)
GREEN Real Estate
Burckhardt Compression A.G.
Nederlandsche Betaal & Wisselmaatschappij
Bencis Capital Partners B.V.
Tetra House Pte. Ltd.
- Representing RTL Nederland in a dispute between RTL and a production company arising from the cancellation of a popular series.
- Representing AON-insured professionals, including lawyers and notaries, in professional liability cases.
Linklaters is home to a litigation practice with significant sector focuses in energy and finance, as well as strong expertise in the fields of regulatory disputes, follow-on damages, and insolvency. The firm added a notable name to its stable in 2019, with former NautaDutilh lawyer Gerard Meijer joining the team. While Meijer primarily focuses on arbitration, he brings a strong track record in litigation matters associated with arbitration such as enforcement and set-aside proceedings. The department is led by Daniella Strik, who is notable for the representation of investors in disputes with the Dutch state.
Bank of New York Mellon
The Royal Bank of Scotland
- Defending Steinhoff in multiple cases relating to its announced accounting irregularities.
- Acting for BP in respect of Dutch civil litigation in arising from the bitumen cartel.
- Representing Mediahuis in proceedings at Enterprise Chamber to order the buy-out of the remaining minority shareholders of TMG following a public bid by Mediahuis
At Stek, the dispute resolution team is particularly notable for its integrated competition litigation practice, which has seen significant recent instructions in the field of follow-on damages litigation, representing both defendants and claimants in several large matters. Practice co-head Jan Bart van de Hel focuses on financial litigation and director's or professional liability cases, and is 'a very clever, bright, calm, litigator who stands out in court', according to clients. Van de Hel's fellow co-head Gerben Smit has particular strengths in contract law and tort disputes, covering a wide range of sectors including transportation, leisure, retail, finance, and industry.
Jan Bart van de Hel; Gerben Smit
‘Jan Bart van de Hel is a very clever, bright, calm litigator who stands out in court while pleading as well as in drafting of litigation papers. He is pleasant to work with and very good in his communication with the client.‘
Credit Europe Bank
- Representing Van Uden Holding and two other former investors in the German privately owned bank HKB Bank GmbH in proceedings initiated by a claim vehicle claiming €75m in damages for tort and breach of contract.
- Representing Thomas Cook Nederland B.V. in litigation against Prijsvrij, one of its former agents, claiming damages from the alleged non-performance and termination of the agency agreement by Thomas Cook Nederland B.V.
- Acting for electricity company Nuon in litigation relating to the development of the biggest onshore wind farm in the Netherlands.
Boutique litigation firm bureau Brandeis is highly recommended for its experience in shareholder disputes, litigation before the Enterprise chamber, and litigation arising from bankruptcy proceedings. It also has notable experience acting against financial institutions and auditors. The firm has a rising reputation in the field of class action disputes, primarily acting for groups of claimants in such cases, and has helped solidify this reputation with the arrival of Bas Braeken from Maverick Advocaten N.V. in 2019. The practice is headed by Louis Berger, Frank Peters and Jozua van der Beek.
Louis Berger; Frank Peters; Jozua van der Beek
Grant & Eisenhofer, KTMC
Jonald Bouwhuis and Hans Wiegel
Rose Prim SA and Gym Ltd
Hyet Holding BV
Immobile Securities NV
21st Century Fox
- Representing a group of institutional investors in a securities dispute against Steinhoff N.V.
- Acting for 21st Century Fox in its dispute with Liberty Global concerning a breach of contract in regards to the broadcasting rights for Premier League football.
- Instructed by the bankruptcy trustees of Weyl Holding in relation to a series of proceedings against Weyl’s former auditor KPMG.
CMS' litigation practice represents clients in a wide range of commercial, corporate and financial disputes, with particular experience in indemnity and reinsurance-related work, as well as the life sciences sector. Team head Leonard Böhmer operates out of the firm's Utrecht office, while Peter Soede is another key figure to note, focusing on alternative dispute resolution, as well as representing clients in large court cases. Away from the firm's broad commercial litigation practice, it is also instructed in procurement litigation matters, where Petra Heemskerk is the name to note.
FC Twente ’65 B.V.
- Represented Dutch professional football club FC Twente in several matters against third parties such as player agents and investors that claimed money from FC Twente.
The team at Eversheds Sutherland (Netherlands) B.V. has a 'hands-on approach to litigation with a genuine interest in the business dynamics underlying the dispute'. The practice was strengthened by the recent arrival of 'skilled and keen' Yuri Wehrmeijer and associate Lennart Baijer, formerly of Houthoff, along with associate Manoek Houben from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer. Wehrmeijer heads the practice jointly with Rob Faasen. The firm handles a range of matters, including pre-litigation advice, summary, attachment, disclosure, and regular court proceedings, both at the District Court and the Court of Appeals.
Yuri Wehrmeijer; Rob Faasen
‘Hands-on approach to litigation with a genuine interest in the business dynamics underlying the dispute. Good partner availability and accessability. Small and nimble team.‘
‘The team has a broad and up to date knowledge of their disciplines and when they need additional expertise they can add it to the team in-house. They are able to assess the case in a quick and professional way in a short time. In comparison with other firms I think they are more concerned.‘
‘The partner I have worked with (Yuri Wehrmeijer) is very skilled and keen. We have discussed many items and together with my input he developed a great legal policy in order to win the case in court.‘
‘Yuri Wehrmeijer is not only an excellent litigator with in-depth knowlegde, but also a good person that always has the interests of his clients at the forefront of his mind.‘
Van Vliet Group
LI & Fung
American Express International Inc
Louis Drefys Commodities
SPX Flow Technology
Rolls Royce Marine Benelux B.V.
G4S Security Services B.V.
- Representing Mexx in claims validation proceedings following its bankruptcy.
- Representing the founders of a chain of high-end dental clinics in the Netherlands in a post-M&A dispute with their UK and French-based private equity joint venture partner.
- Sought an injunction to release mortgages on greenhouses following the bankruptcy of a lender for client Van Vliet Group.
Höcker Advocaten has recently seen several high-profile public law cases come through its doors, with recent instructions concerning environmental challenges to government bodies, and expropriation of assets, matters in which Koos van den Berg has been heavily involved. Practice head Marc Wolters is another key figure within the team, specialising in complex corporate litigation, while newly promoted partner Marijn Kingma focuses her practice on copyright, privacy, and other media and information litigation.
‘Höcker is a solid law firm, with a long-standing tradition. They are a middle-sized firm for Amsterdam standards, with lawyers who combine a deep knowledge of the law with a long experience and practical approach. Their strengths I know are commercial and corporate litigation in domestic and international matters before the Dutch courts.‘
‘The team at Höcker on climate change litigation, tort law and environmental law is extremely good. They have a lot of knowledge in the field and are able to find ways to win cases that others thought not to be possible. Extremely clever and creative in finding solutions.‘
‘Compared to other mid sized firms it has a greater in-depth knowledge and compared to larger firms the cost-benefit analysis is positive.‘
‘Marc Wolters strikes the right balance between an independent mind and dedicated and loyal advocate, which makes him a highly respected and authoritative member of the bar.‘
Omnicom (TBWA, DDB, BBDO)
TCC Global N.V.
Stichting de Thuiskopie
Rojanets Investments LLC and Lee Lokey
Suncycle Holding N.V.
Sony Interactive Entertainment Benelux B.V.
Jonkman / Atropa Bella Dona
- Represents Stichting Brein, the anti-piracy watchdog of the Dutch entertainment industry, in a case against News-Service Europe, a usenet provider offering unauthorised access to music, films, computer software and e-books.
- Acted for worldwide loyalty programme developer TCC Global NV and its Swiss and German group companies in legal proceedings demanding the rescission of a contract for 1.5 million sticker albums for promotional use against Italian printing house Rotolito.
- Represented Sichting Urgenda in an environmental claim against the Dutch state which sought to compel the state to reduce emissions by 25%.
Norton Rose Fulbright's litigation team has a strong focus on international matters, often leveraging the firm's global network and operating as either lead or local counsel in such cases. The Amsterdam-based practice is jointly led by Yke Lennartz, who has a special focus on resolving post M&A, shareholder, energy, and financial disputes, and Jan Duyvensz, whose work focuses on insurance litigation, director's liability and product liability cases. 'Hardworking and very detailed' senior associate Koen Durlinger is also recommended.
Yke Lennartz; Jan Duyvensz
‘My experiences with the Norton Rose Fulbright commercial litigation team in Amsterdam has been very professional, supportive, rewarding, successful and the services have been provided in a very personal manner.‘
‘Koen Durlinger is hardworking, very detailed and with a strong clarity in expressing himself verbally and in writing. He has an ability to communicate the most complex situations interpreted in a legal manner but expressed in layman language.‘
AEB (Afval Energie Bedrijf Amsterdam)
AmTrust at Lloyd’s Limited
DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale
ING Capital LLC, ING Bank N.V.
Rotterdam World Gateway
Tokio Marine Kiln Limited
- Representing Frasers Property Investment B.V. in respect of buy-out proceedings before the Enterprise Court of the Court of Appeal of Amsterdam.
- Acting for BPD in court proceedings in a multimillion-euro product liability claim relating to façade panels for several new-built housing projects.
- Representing Rabobank in court proceedings relating to a claim for compensation of damages due to a major fire on a construction site caused by faulty welding by a (sub) contractor.
Rotterdam-based Ploum is home to a dispute resolution team with good experience in a multitude of areas, including contractual and extra-contractual disputes, corporate litigation, insolvency-related matters, disputes in the customs and trade area, and product liability cases. Maurice Verhoeven has considerable expertise in professional liability. The firm has seen significant expansion in 2019, with the arrival of Jikke Biermasz and Marijn van Tuijl from Kneppelhout & Korthals Advocaten, both of whom are experienced in customs and trade-related litigation.
Markel International Nederland B.V.
RPS Advies- en Ingenieursbureau B.V.
Deloitte Accountants B.V.
Peterson Control Union Group
Koole Tankstorage Botlek B.V. (formerly known as Odfjell Terminals (Rotterdam) B.V.
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty
AIG Europe Limited, Netherlands
Tui Nederland N.V.
- Acting for Deloitte in civil proceedings initiated by the trustee in bankruptcy of Welsec, alleging negligence during audit processes.
- Representing industrial cleaning company Conservator in seeking damages from Eurogrit following its distribution of asbestos-contaminated grit.
- Acting for ODS B.V. in its pursuit of a liability claim against the directors of AAA Energy Window Holding and AAA Patents.
Utrecht-based Wijn & Stael Advocaten N.V. is home to a strong litigation team, which represents clients at all levels of the Dutch courts including cassation. A key area in which the firm stands out from its competitors is in insolvency-related litigation, particularly in the Supreme Court, where Thijs van Zanten is one of the key national figures. Van Zanten heads the firm's cassation arm, with Noor Zetteler and Koen Rutten jointly fronting the firm's corporate, financial, and commercial litigation offerings, specialising personally in director's liability and class action disputes, respectively.
Koen Rutten; Thijs van Zanten; Noor Zetteler
‘Very much on top of subject and very thorough in preparation of the case. Listen very well to input from customers but hold strict line of defence in the case itself.‘
‘Wijn & Stael’s commercial litigation practice, particularly the cassation practice, operates at the highest standards of quality, while maintaining an important sense of independence, both as a practice as well as a source of independent ideas.‘
‘Koen Rutten is a good team member, easy to work with, and works well with clients and co-counsel in other countries.‘
‘My firm has worked in various cases with Thijs van Zanten who stands out in his in-depth knowledge of ligation and more specific insolvency law/litigation. He is very easy going and extremely capable to explain difficult stuff in easy wording which is quite remarkable for a supreme court litigator.‘
‘Koen Rutten is approachable and down to earth, open-minded while legally rigorous, and respected by his peers.‘
‘Thijs van Zanten has the rather unique profile of being both very intelligent and very practical. He is extremely responsive and has the ability to deliver first-class work within a very limited amount of time. He is the top of the list expert in the field of insolvency law Supreme Court litigation.‘
‘Associate Ida Lintel is a bona fide rising star.‘
Stichting Fairfield Compensation Foundation
Stichting R.O.O.S. (Restitutie Onteigende Obligaties SNS)
Upper Brook (I) Limited
Rexwinkel B.V. and Appeldoorn B.V.
Ruwaard van Puttenziekenhuis
Boer & Croon
85 big institutional investors
Bankruptcy trustee of foundation Stichting Centra voor integrale Revalidatie en Arbeidsactivering Nederland (Ciran)
Bankruptcy trustees of Maas Shipyard Waterhuizen B.V. (MSW)
The administrator of two partners of Bealint Advies v.o.f.
Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A.
Vereniging Nederlandse Verkeersvliegers (VNV)
- Represented 85 institutional investors in a direction action where damages of approximately €700m from Steinhoff, its members of the board and the chairman of the supervisory board were claimed.
- Representing the bankruptcy trustees of MSW in proceedings before the Supreme Court concerning their petition to declare MSW’s director insolvent.
- Acting for trade union VNV before the Supreme Court in its dispute with easyJet concerning the legality of using foreign workers to subvert strikes.
The team at Windt Le Grand Leeuwenburgh has expertise in a wide variety of commercial litigation matters, including insolvency-related litigation, shareholder disputes and post-transaction disputes. The practice assists a roster of clients from sectors as diverse as utilities, hospitality, mining, and banking. The 'very tactical' Bart Gerretsen heads a team that is acting for Dutch utilities company Eneco in its long-running dispute regarding company management with Greenchoice. Other key team members are Richard le Grand, Ruben Leeuwenburgh, who focuses on directors’ liability and shareholder disputes, and Irene Tax.
Richard le Grand; Ruben Leeuwenburgh; Bart Gerretsen; Irene Tax
‘Bart Gerretsen is very tactical and has a strategic approach to disputes. Excellent knowledge of litigation procedures and laws.‘
ZEP Holding Benelux (easyhotels)
D&Os in relation to Cunico Resources N.V. 1
Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam High Court
Mammoet Salvage B.V.
Telor International Ltd.
Mammoet B.V. and Mammoet GmBH
Profireal Group SE
BB Capital Management B.V.
Eastman Music Company / Eastman Musical Instruments Europe B.V. 1
Miedema and Van Roozendaal / SURF
Hinfelaar and Wiechers / DTG
District Court of Noord-Holland: ALE Heavylift B.V.
Mammoet Europe B.V. / Siemerink B.V. Tank en Apparatenbouw B.V.
District Court of Noord-Holland: Copa N.V.
District Court of Den Haag HAAGSE AARDWARMTE LEYWEG B.V. /GASTREATMENT SERVICES B.V.
- Acting for Dutch utilities company Eneco in its long-running dispute regarding company management with Greenchoice.
- Acting for one of the founders of easyHotel Benelux in €150m enforcement proceedings.
- Representing the D&Os of a subsidiary of a Dutch mining company in $100m cross-border proceedings arising from actions against the state of Macedonia.
Buren is particularly known for its work on matters involving Chinese law or clients, with Chinese-qualified lawyers, including counsel Li Jiao, operating out of the Amsterdam office in addition to the firm's Beijing and Shanghai offices. Philip ter Burg heads the firm's Dutch litigation practice, which has seen notable recent instructions in the fields of follow-on damages, IP disputes and product liability.
Philip ter Burg; Jan Holthuis
‘We work frequently with Li Jiao, based in Buren’s Amsterdam office. She is dedicated, friendly, prompt and clear, and alive to practicalities and commercial realities.‘
Vermilion Energy Netherland B.V.
Interlink Metals & Chemicals AG
CPM Europe B.V.
Cathay Pacific Airways Limited
Valvoline International, Inc
Jong Shyn Shipbuilding Group
Nippon Suisan B.V.
Vesteda Investment Management B.V
- Acting on behalf of Schumann Tank & Stahlbau GmbH in a dispute with McCain Foods Holland BV and Veolia Water Technoligies Techno Center Netherlands regarding the corrosion of a steel tank produced by Schumann.
- Acting for Huawei Technologies (Netherlands) B.V. in a commercial dispute with the trustee of the bankrupt company Corso Contracting.
- Defending Cathay Airways and Latham Airlines in several proceedings involving civil law antitrust follow-on damage claims.
Fort Advocaten's team regularly litigates before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeal in Amsterdam, as well as representing clients in the civil courts. Other work includes conducting arbitration, binding advice proceedings, and class actions for interest groups. Recent highlights include representing the franchisees of Albert Heijn against the franchisor in litigation concerning financial settlements. Practice head Berth Brouwer assists clients 'in a practical way', and is particularly specialised in advising partnership firms, including professional and limited partnerships. Also recommended are Katinka Verdurmen and Pieter Twaalfhoven, who are 'focused on solving the problem'.
‘We have experience with Pieter Twaalfhoven, Katinka Verdurmen and Berth Brouwer. We are very satisfied with their service. They advise in a practical way, know what they are doing, and are focused on solving the problem.‘
Amstelpark Tennis Promotions
Aeon Hotel Group
TCS (Taxicentrale Schiphol)
Biesheuvel & Partners B.V.
Hoad Holding B.V.
Hypermarché Bonprix SARL
JD Sports Fashion B.V.
Libra International B.V
The Blue Link B.V.
Vereniging Albert Heijn Franchisenemers
- Represented the franchisees of Albert Heijn against the franchisor in litigation concerning financial settlements.
- Representing Aeon Plaza Hotel shareholders before the Enterprise Chamber in litigation regarding the corporate governance in the holding of a group of hotel companies.
At Greenberg Traurig LLP, the team has experience of assisting clients in proceedings involving the Dutch state, as well as representing US businesses in international intellectual property and tort cases against Chinese manufacturers and Dutch distributors. Practice head Allard Huizing acts for clients from a wide range of sectors, including finance, consumer products, real estate, engineering, and construction. Also noted is Radboud Ribbert, who leads a team that is representing SPI in international litigation regarding the vodka trade marks Moskovskaya and Stolichnaya.
Nationale Maatschappij der Belgische Spoorwegen (Belgian Railways)
Akron Holding B.V.
SHM International Corporation
- Representing SPI in international litigation regarding the vodka trade marks Moskovskaya and Stolichnaya.
- Successfully represented the Stichting de Nederlandse Top 40 in preliminary relief proceedings against Radio 538, owned by Dutch media corporation, Talpa.
A notable list of clients, including Tommy Hilfiger, Converse, Chubb, Allianz, and Fujifilm turn to the team at Kennedy Van der Laan for assistance with commercial litigation. Work handled by the firm spans contract disputes, interim relief proceedings, and pre-trial actions. A team led by Martine de Koning is representing Nike in cross-border litigation regarding online sales restrictions in its selective distribution policy. Also recommended are joint practice heads Christoph Jeloschek and Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter; the latter specialises particularly in matters concerning D&O liability.
Christoph Jeloschek; Bart-Adriaan de Ruijter
ABN AMRO Bank
Northgate Public Services Ltd.
Paragon Offshore Enterprises
- Represented Northgate Public Services in a dispute regarding the termination of software licences.
- Represented Fortinet in litigation regarding alleged breach of contract in the context of deal registration.
- Acting for Nike in litigation regarding online sales restrictions in the client’s selective distribution policy.
At Osborne Clarke, the 'highly responsive' team provides 'practical advice and continually adapts to achieve the goal'. The practice acts for an enviable roster of clients, including international names including Bose Corporation and Sonos, and was strengthened by the recent arrival of Berend Zwart, who focuses on the real estate sector. In recent highlights, the firm successfully represented Starbucks before the Court of Appeal in a dispute regarding the use of a change of control clause to terminate an agreement. Practice head Jeroen Bedaux is 'able to provide sound legal advice under very tight deadlines'.
‘Excellent communicators, very good at keeping us informed.‘
‘Paul Brouwer – outstanding all-rounder, technically very good and exceptional interpersonal skills.‘
‘Osborne Clarke has been highly responsive and provided pragmatic legal advice on a pre-litigation commercial contracts case involving multiple European jurisdictions.‘
‘Jeroen Bedaux (Partner, Head of Litigation & Arbitration) and Paul Brouwer (Senior Associate) have been able to provide sound legal advice under very tight deadlines and under pressure considering the high stakes. Jeroen made himself available on short notice and elaborated the general legal guidance. Paul provided impeccable execution and solid drafting, while also adjusting the guidance to adapt to the quickly changing situation in accordance with clients’ strategic goals.‘
‘Their approach is hands-on and they are pro-active. In addition to their legal approach they can think differently and this leads to the achievement of the goal.‘
‘They manage the timelines well, are easy accessible and are experts. They come with practical advice and continually adapt to achieve the goal.‘
Hunter Douglas Europe
- Representing Fortress, a real estate fund managed by Hanseatische Investment, in an appeal in a dispute over a real estate sale-purchase agreement that the counterparty claims was concluded by email.
- Representing Sonos in a dispute with former founders of the Dutch entity, regarding stock options.
- Acted for Starbucks Corporation before the Court of Appeal in a dispute regarding the use of a change of control clause to terminate an agreement.
Pot Jonker Advocaten
Pot Jonker Advocaten is 'an honest and very capable firm', which fields 'well-informed and knowledgeable lawyers'. The team has particular experience of litigation regarding distribution, franchise and sub-contractor agreements, as well as public procurement procedures and D&O liability and 'specialises in real estate, construction, and procurement law'. Clients include liability insurers, and both national and global blue-chip companies. Along with practice head Floris Diepraam, 'litigation and real estate specialist' Babette Blaisse-Verkooijen is also recommended, as she 'goes the extra mile for her client'.
‘Very easy to reach and always employable, punctual, sound and reliable, good up-to-date legal knowledge, high quality advice, pleasant communication and affordable pricing.‘
‘Jan Coen Binnerts stands out, always available, quick and high quality advice, pleasant communication. This also applies for Robbert Boesveld.‘
‘Pot Jonker Advocaten is an honest and very capable firm. They understand the needs and wants of their clients and offer high quality services.‘
‘The people working at Pot Jonker Advocaten are well-informed and knowledgeable lawyers. They deliver a high quality service for a reasonable price. They respond to what we ask of them as a client in a more than empathetic and professional way.‘
‘Pot Jonker has the unique ability to combine in-depth legal knowledge with a practical approach.‘
‘Highly skilled with genuine interest in our company and our strategy.‘
‘The firm specialises in real estate, construction, and procurement law. We consulted a partner at this firm, namely Remmert Sluijter, in relation to a couple of construction related disputes. He is engaged, knowledgeable and honest in his advice. Great value for money. Babette Blaisse-Verkooijen is the partner that specialises in procurement law. She is available, very knowledgeable and comes with sound and usable advice. Again, great value for money.‘
‘Pot Jonker is a no-nonsense law firm with a hands-on mentality. Their quick thinking and ability to act as though they are part of the clients’ business is unique.‘
‘Babette Blaisse-Verkooijen is a litigation and real estate specialist, she goes the extra mile for her client and is realistic in her approach to a case.‘
ABN AMRO Bank
Centraal Beheer (insured matters)
Dutch Flower Group
Royal Ahold Delhaize (Albert Heijn, Etos, Gall & Gall)
Royal BAM Group
- Represented a Royal PostNL group company in civil proceedings against a contractor that demanded a reduction of tariffs based on postal regulations and competition law.
- Represented Rose Connect in civil proceedings regarding the interpretation of and compliance with an international marketing agreement with a Zimbabwean contractor.
- Acted for Beentjes Transport in civil proceedings against a supplier concerning the termination of a contract.
The 'experienced and dedicated team' at Russell Advocaten B.V. is singled out as the 'best Dutch firm specialised in art law', providing 'specialist knowledge', as well as 'in-depth advice'. The practice advises clients, among them art dealers and auction houses, on matters regarding trade and ownership of works of art. Other sector specialisms include fashion, luxury goods, and real estate. Practice head Paul Russell is 'a best-in-class art lawyer' with a wealth of experience in international litigation.
‘Experienced and dedicated team, with specialist knowledge in every field. They stand out from other firms with their efficiency, professionalism and co-operation.‘
‘Individuals are responsive in a way which shows that they really understand the matters at hand and thus are able to provide in-depth advice. They are true professionals in the process.‘
‘Best Dutch firm specialised in art law.‘
‘Paul Russell is an art lover and a best-in-class art lawyer.‘
Taylor Wessing LLP
At Taylor Wessing LLP, the team is able to 'provide business-oriented advice' due to its ability to view matters 'both from a legal and commercial perspective'. The practice was strengthened by the recent arrival of Anne Josephus Jitta, a specialist in representing companies from the financial sector, formerly of De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek. The team also includes practice head Hugo Nieuwenhuizen, and 'excellent lawyer and legal business adviser' Nick Kampschreur, who focuses on dispute resolution in financial and investment issues.
‘They have a good talented team.‘
‘Nick Kampschreur has excellent capabilities. He is an excellent lawyer and he is always searching for solutions.‘
‘Nick Kampschreur is an excellent lawyer and legal business adviser, has a hands-on mentality and is supportive to our business, both from a legal and commercial perspective. Nick Kampschreur has vast experience in (commercial) litigation and arbitration.‘
‘Provide business-oriented advice. Hands-on.‘
Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
Lidl Nederland GmbH
Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A.
Riamo Holding GmbH
Funding Circle Nederland B.V.
Stichting ROC Summa College
Homefashion Group B.V.
De Meeuw Oirschot B.V.
MBI Group B.V.
Bakker Magnetics B.V.
GS Staalwerken B.V.
Brand Loyalty Group B.V.
De Rooy Holding B.V.
Focus International Real Estate B.V.
Marilyn Best B.V. (McDonalds)
Paradigit Holding B.V.
St Gobain Weber Beamix B.V.
- Represented Rabobank in various proceedings concerning the recovery and collection of funding.
- Defended Homefashion Group in legal proceedings initiated by one of its business relations regarding a dispute around term of notice.
- Represented Technische Universiteit Eindhoven in disputes with suppliers and business partners, including advising on grant-related issues.
The team at Van Oosten Schulz De Korte Advocaten is valued for its 'experience in working on complex cross-border matters'. The practice is frequently instructed to represent clients in CIS-related disputes concerning debt collection, particularly in Russia. A recent example of this can be seen in the firm acting for Sberbank in connection with the enforcement of a claim in excess of €65m against the owner of the failed Eastern European retail chain Agrokor and Konzum. Practice head Jurjen de Korte is 'very responsive and always thinks at least one step ahead to serve the client's interests'.
Jurjen de Korte
‘The commercial litigation practice of Van Oosten Schulz De Korte stands out because of its significant experience with numerous high-profile matters, its flexibility and its cost-effectiveness. In particular, I note the practice’s experience in working on complex cross-border matters, including for numerous CIS clients.‘
‘Jurjen de Korte and his team provide excellent service. Jurjen’s advice is to the point, he is very responsive and always thinks at least one step ahead to serve the client’s interests.’
‘We have been in a long and tiring legal battle and Van Oosten Schulz De Korte Advocaten have never lost sight or attention in the matter (as often happens). They worked tirelessly and kept giving sound legal advice.‘
‘We work with Jurjen de Korte and would continue to use him as we find him a pragmatic and excellent litigator.‘
Gazprom Dutch Group Entities
Louis Dreyfus Company
Arthur Daniels Midland
IB Capital FX
- Acting for Sberbank in connection with the enforcement of a claim in excess of €65m against the owner of the failed Eastern European retail chain Agrokor and Konzum.
- Representing IATA in proceedings before the Dutch courts concerning more than $14m in refunds for flights cancelled by defunct Hungarian airliner Malev.
- Representing international chemical company Indorama in an NAI arbitration against Finnish engineering company Neste, arising out of major delays and additional cost in a PTA plant expansion project.